Forum Settings
Forums

Netflix Announces Partnership with Six Japanese Creators

New
Feb 26, 2020 2:14 PM
Jun 2016

The official website for Netflix announced on Tuesday that the company will be partnering with six Japanese creators to develop new anime originals. These creators are CLAMP (Cardcaptor Sakura, Chobits), Shin Kibayashi (Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo, Tantei Gakuen Q), Yasuo Ohtagaki (Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt, Moonlight Mile), Otsuichi, (Goth, Kimi ni shika Kikoenai), Tow Ubukata (Mardock Scramble, Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor), and Mari Yamazaki (Thermae Romae, Olympia Kyklos).

In 2018, Netflix partnered with Production I.G, Wit Studio, and Bones to produce original works like Koukaku Kidoutai: SAC_2045, Vampire in the Garden, and Super Crooks. Last year the company continued the trend, partnering with Anima, Sublimation, and David Production to create works like Altered Carbon: Resleeved, Dragon's Dogma, and Spriggan (ONA).

Previous Netflix exclusives include Devilman: Crybaby and Baki.

Source: Netflix
mta_pnFeb 17, 2022 5:22 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 26, 2020 2:32 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
CLAMP?

I want a Tsubasa remake so bad...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 26, 2020 3:01 PM

Sep 2014
No thanks Netflix.

Your service is rotten and this won't convince me the slightest.
Feb 26, 2020 3:28 PM

Jun 2016
I'd love to see more THERMAE ROMAE but knowing netflix it's probably going to be CG. And crap.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Feb 26, 2020 4:12 PM

Aug 2011
tsubasa remake pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease
Feb 26, 2020 4:43 PM

Feb 2020
I didn't expect much
Feb 26, 2020 6:27 PM

Jan 2016
I don't like this. Just stop.
Feb 26, 2020 7:00 PM

Nov 2008
Netflix Orginals=Abysmal CG

I wanted to finish Kengan Ashura but the 2D/3D mix was so bad, I had to drop it.

Feb 26, 2020 7:07 PM

Jan 2009
original anime is always welcome lets see what they can do

and lol at people wanting a remake of old anime adaptations when they said they gonna make original anime instead
Feb 26, 2020 7:09 PM

Dec 2008
CLAMP please give me something good.

They are such a hit or miss for me.
Feb 26, 2020 8:41 PM
Jul 2017
Netflix should stay out, don't like this one bit.
Feb 26, 2020 8:46 PM

Oct 2016
CLAMP, lets go! Would love to see other seasons of tsubasa in the future with this news... maybe? please?

Oh... and more Clear Card seasons, thank you!!
EqullibriumFeb 29, 2020 8:22 PM
Feb 26, 2020 8:56 PM

Jun 2012
Hoppy said:
Netflix Orginals=Abysmal CG

I wanted to finish Kengan Ashura but the 2D/3D mix was so bad, I had to drop it.

Yeah I wish Netflix would cut that shit out
Feb 26, 2020 9:47 PM
Feb 2014
This is interesting, particularly the partnership with CLAMP, but knowing that they are already famous for sneaking lgbt content in most of their works as it is, i probably will not like the anime they produce for a western company like Netflix... :(

My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Feb 26, 2020 10:45 PM

Feb 2012
Based Tow Ubukata getting on board.

Can't wait to see stuff from him.
Feb 27, 2020 12:09 AM

Nov 2010
It would be awesome to get xxxHOLiC remake, and Tsubasa as well.
Everything you are looking for is already within you~

Feb 27, 2020 1:52 AM

Feb 2011
Tow Ubukata

How this hack is still managing to score projects like this is beyond me
Feb 27, 2020 2:01 AM

Jan 2018
Rather than anime originals, do a remake of tsubasa chronicle (no cg).
Feb 27, 2020 4:58 AM
Dec 2013
At least it's a better announcement than the "Crunchyroll Originals" we got the other day. That looks abysmal.
Feb 27, 2020 6:29 AM
Oct 2019
Thanks to these partnerships Netflix is gonna own every new work these studios/authors produce? Or is it just a limited time collaboration and they will produce just 1 or 2 shows together? I'm a bit confused
Feb 27, 2020 6:50 AM

Dec 2015
A comment from reddit: “I really hope they won't make 3D CGI 10fps animes anymore”.
I hope so too. Not the greatest way to spend money on.
Feb 27, 2020 9:10 AM

Nov 2016
Omg really ? there is no good netflix anime and they will influence more creators ? if this will continue then rip anime...
Feb 27, 2020 9:29 AM

Sep 2016
Can we get Bloody Monday, Shibatora, Goth, Front Mission and Psychometerer anime series now by a good studio like Madhouse, Lerche, Bones, David, White Fox, Mappa or IG.
Feb 27, 2020 10:04 AM
Jan 2016
I just hope SJWs don't get a foothold in the industry through this
I'd rather die a free man then live under the rules of idiots
Feb 27, 2020 10:19 AM

Apr 2015
yamiyugi101 said:
I just hope SJWs don't get a foothold in the industry through this
O0oO0oOooo, we're coming for your tits and ass. 00oo0ooO0oo
Feb 27, 2020 10:20 AM
Nov 2017
Yesss, congrats on Netflix for supporting Anime, I have seen tons of anime on their platform, I haven't seen yet an anime with SJW crap elements so far so yeah, it's good for now...
Feb 27, 2020 10:51 AM
Feb 2020
awesome i like this
life is great
Feb 27, 2020 11:55 AM
Jul 2018
I'll get my money ready. Just in case.
Feb 27, 2020 1:39 PM
Jul 2018
Otsuichi sounds interesting but not because of Goth; I really did not like that manga, but rather because of Hajime, which needed a full manga instead of a oneshot.

Anyways I don't mind what they make even if it's CG because I loved both seasons of Ajin; season 2 was great.

Moreover I'm looking forward to this year's supposed premier of Pacific Rim anime that they announced with hardly any information.
Feb 27, 2020 2:27 PM
May 2015
I hope this deal works out well for Netflix, the anima creators, and the viewers of course.
Feb 27, 2020 3:17 PM

Apr 2019
I only recently and accidently found Tow Ubukata's Mardock trilogy and instantly loved it. He wrote both a prequel and a sequel novel since, I seriously hope Netflix animates either of them.

Feb 27, 2020 4:43 PM

Dec 2008
The decline and death of the anime industry-courtesy of netflix. Fuck no.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Feb 27, 2020 4:51 PM

Mar 2008
Interested by CLAMP (Blood-C was their last major work and was crap) but they have other good manga stories from the decades that could be tapped. Of course everyone will cry for a TRC remake, I'll pass on that, the original is fine for me.
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Feb 27, 2020 5:22 PM

Apr 2016
Has amazing potential for the exploration of new ideas! I hope it's not low frame rate CG though.
Feb 27, 2020 7:21 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
This is cool and all, but I'm more interested in what studio(s) they gonna work with for this project.
Feb 27, 2020 8:07 PM

Aug 2010
CLAMP caught my interest.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Feb 27, 2020 8:14 PM

Sep 2010
All these new anime locked behind Netflix jail~

Why pay $12/mo to wait months on anime to arrive on Netflix when its already online for free in its entirety? Bad deal Netflix sucks when it comes to anime and their library overall in general is shit I'll stick to my fansubs of your original shows thanks.

"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Feb 27, 2020 10:32 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Roloko said:

Why pay $12/mo to wait months on anime to arrive on Netflix when its already online for free in its entirety? Bad deal Netflix sucks when it comes to anime and their library overall in general is shit I'll stick to my fansubs of your original shows thanks.

Most likely these ones are not going to be aired in Japanese television so they are not going to be ''locked'' for months and will actually be true Netflix Originals like Devilman Crybaby or B: The Beginning
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Feb 28, 2020 12:48 AM
Apr 2016
A bunch of insignificant creators and Ubukata-san. Well, I have enjoyed Thermae Romae. If these new originals can reach at least 2/3 of what B:The Beginning turned out to be, then I will support this new collaboration. Verbally and in writing.
inim said:
I only recently and accidently found Tow Ubukata's Mardock trilogy and instantly loved it. He wrote both a prequel and a sequel novel since, I seriously hope Netflix animates either of them.

Prequels are usually a bad idea unless they were envisioned to be a part of the franchise before the success of the original. Which also reflects on their quality and how well they tie-in with foreshadowing and symbolism in the originals. But I am looking forward to the sequel.
MindOfOsaka said:
At least it's a better announcement than the "Crunchyroll Originals" we got the other day. That looks abysmal.

Yes because this time around the creators are actually Japanese. With a slightest hint of artistic genius.
MindOfOsaka said:
ShadowBlazer3000 said:
Interested by CLAMP (Blood-C was their last major work and was crap) but they have other good manga stories from the decades that could be tapped. Of course everyone will cry for a TRC remake, I'll pass on that, the original is fine for me.

I was prepared to go ballistic and question your literacy, but then double-checked the "news" - nowhere it says that the series from those creators would be original, as in something new not seen before. Personally I hope it is so.
Daniel_NaumovFeb 28, 2020 12:52 AM
Re:formed
Feb 28, 2020 1:13 AM

Sep 2016
Daniel_Naumov said:
A bunch of insignificant creators and Ubukata-san. Well, I have enjoyed Thermae Romae. If these new originals can reach at least 2/3 of what B:The Beginning turned out to be, then I will support this new collaboration. Verbally and in writing.

You called Shin Kibayishi and Clamp insignificant that is a very shameful behaviour.
Feb 28, 2020 1:18 AM
Apr 2016
D-arts said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

You called Shin Kibayishi and Clamp insignificant that is a very shameful behaviour.

A shaMEFURU DISUPURAY!!
Too soon to judge. I will be most willing to withdraw my initial evaluation and apologize, in case their new series turn out to be of high quality.
Re:formed
Feb 28, 2020 7:42 AM

Sep 2011
Hatsuyuki said:
Tow Ubukata

Probably cause he heads one of the single most successful mecha series of the past couple decades with fafner.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 28, 2020 7:54 AM

Feb 2011
JizzyHitler said:
Hatsuyuki said:
Tow Ubukata

Probably cause he heads one of the single most successful mecha series of the past couple decades with fafner.

Successful as in sales wise ? Admittedly I did not watch it but I am extremely skeptical of anything written by this man.
Feb 28, 2020 8:47 AM

Aug 2016
Pretty good news. I often liked the anime that's being shown on Netflix. I'm not a fan of everything but some of it is pretty decent.
Feb 28, 2020 9:10 AM

Oct 2015
I think this would make for an interesting input. Both sides have made some good series.

Latest Blog: BLARE FEST 2023
Latest Review: Hyouka

Feb 28, 2020 1:58 PM

Mar 2019
I don't normally care too much about this sort of thing, but I am interested in what CLAMP will bring to the table. It's almost the 20th anniversary of the Chobits manga, so I'm curious to see if Chobits will be remade. I think that will be one of their biggest titles Netflix could have that would get people to sign up from what I can tell.
Feb 28, 2020 3:36 PM

May 2018
I will only be impressed if these are ALL not done in cgi, even then im reluctant to give them props...

This is clearly an attempt to get anime fans to like Netflix, they cant even simulcast anime they own when its airing in Japan, provide good and reliable dubs or promised to include ALL of anime when they own it (for example while they have Attack On Titan they only have the first season of it)

I mean, its not that hard is it? The only good thing Netflix has done is Devilman Crybaby, I doubt they will ever be able to make a show like that again
SeijatachiiiiFeb 28, 2020 3:42 PM
Feb 28, 2020 4:31 PM

Sep 2011
Hatsuyuki said:
JizzyHitler said:

Successful as in sales wise ? Admittedly I did not watch it but I am extremely skeptical of anything written by this man.
yeah it sells insanely well, but the show itself is fantastic thats for sure, at leats exodus was, the original is really problematic cause it had a staff shake up midway through and it had to deal with all the messy set up. Its not got much competition cause the genre has seen better says, but fafner exodus is probably the best mecha series in the past decade. Have no clue if beyond comes anywhere close cause im waiting to see that wrap up before watching it

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 28, 2020 5:09 PM

Sep 2010
DatRandomDude said:
Roloko said:

Most likely these ones are not going to be aired in Japanese television so they are not going to be ''locked'' for months and will actually be true Netflix Originals like Devilman Crybaby or B: The Beginning

Oh okay I thought they all were thanks for clearing that up, but I don't think I'll resub anytime soon unless the third season of Disenchantment is coming soon.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Feb 29, 2020 6:01 AM
Jul 2018
Nice. Looking forward to watching.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - 4 hours ago

7 by RobertBobert »»
1 hour ago

» Light Novel 'Saikyou no Shienshoku "Wajutsushi" de Aru Ore wa Sekai Saikyou Clan wo Shitagaeru' Gets TV Anime in Fall 2024

Vindstot - Apr 21

8 by modcarparking »»
4 hours ago

» Netflix Announces 'Garouden: The Way of the Lone Wolf' Anime for May 2024

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

11 by modcarparking »»
4 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
7 hours ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.