Forum Settings
Forums

What Western property would you want to see an anime for?

New
Feb 24, 2020 2:26 PM

May 2019
There's pretty often threads asking what manga/LN people would most want to get adapted into an anime, but I almost never see them about western media crossing the boundary. I know it's nothing new to anime, since there's adaptations of classic novels, spin-offs of American games, and alternate takes on Marvel and DC superheroes. Now the quality on these releases is a whole different discussion, but assuming it would be GOOD and handled by a studio you like/trust, what piece of western media would you most like to see in anime?

It can be anything from a straight adaptation, to an alternate take on the series, or an original spinoff or sidestory set within an established universe.

For me personally, it'd either be an action focused Titanfall OVA series or a Star Wars TV series focusing on pilots and space battles, kinda like the Rogue Squadron games and novels.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 24, 2020 2:46 PM

Jun 2011
Great question. Lemme think.

Mortal Kombat as an anime would be nice. Gory action anime with martial arts fighting.

The Mask as an absurd physical comedy. Japanese can put it off as well.

Good ol Kill Bill. Katana wielding badass woman is seeking revenge. Standart anime stuff.

Punisher. Again, a ruthless anti-hero with a tragic story, it'd be a nice seinen anime.

Prince of Persia. History, time manipulation and fantasy. What can you ask for more?

Mad Max. I don't know why, it has potential.

Feb 24, 2020 2:58 PM

Dec 2016
I would like to have SU made with the same atetion to action as OPM and Mob, but other than that I don't think that the things I like would translate well as anime.

(I mean, I'm would watch the Shrek anime, but I'm not saying it would be a good idea XD)
N04L1TYFeb 24, 2020 3:04 PM
heh.
Feb 24, 2020 3:01 PM

Feb 2019
Obviously the greatest pieces of world literature, such as the Iliad and BTS wattpad fanfics.
Feb 24, 2020 3:04 PM

Oct 2013
I think Lexx could be a pretty cool action science fiction ecchi in anime form tbh
Feb 24, 2020 3:07 PM

Jul 2016
I want to see Studio Trigger animate their own season of Doctor Who. Preferably original stories but with whichever of the modern Doctors they want. I'd love to see 13 given the proper chance to shine that I don't think she's received these past two seasons.
Feb 24, 2020 3:10 PM

Mar 2018
I'd love to see a 13 Reasons Why anime adaptation
poop
Feb 24, 2020 3:18 PM
Jul 2019
I'd love to see what anime could do with Terry Pratchett's books.
Jul 2018
I want long-running Dark Seinen series that are based on "Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition" instead of those currently popular One-Pieces/Narutos/Bleaches/Hero Academies and other similar crap.

Sep 2016
One of the shitty story-based western cartoons that came out recently

Like steven universe

or 12 forever.

Think of it as a right of passage.
I've surpassed your limit!
Feb 24, 2020 3:22 PM

Oct 2013
A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:
I want to see Studio Trigger animate their own season of Doctor Who. Preferably original stories but with whichever of the modern Doctors they want. I'd love to see 13 given the proper chance to shine that I don't think she's received these past two seasons.
Wouldnt it be better to animate the episodes the BBC burned though?
Id much rather Japan do Doctor Who though regardless of era since they'd probably respect the material more unlike how Moffat made Hartnell's first Doctor a bigot for no reason
Feb 24, 2020 3:32 PM

Apr 2010
I don't think I'd want to see any Western Properties touched by Japan to be made into Anime. Most of what they touch ends up being fucking terrible. All the Marvel Anime they did in the late 2000's were bad. It's the same with Hollywood and how everything they touch that's based on Anime is fucking awful.
Feb 24, 2020 3:35 PM

Feb 2019
Esquirtit said:
I myself can't wait to see the bathtub scene animated and the seiyuu being given directions to moan throughout it.
Feb 24, 2020 3:36 PM

Jul 2019
Zeroflamez said:
I don't think I'd want to see any Western Properties touched by Japan to be made into Anime. Most of what they touch ends up being fucking terrible. All the Marvel Anime they did in the late 2000's were bad. It's the same with Hollywood and how everything they touch that's based on Anime is fucking awful.

Nippon Animation has adapted a lot of Western litterature to what seems a good result.
Feb 24, 2020 3:39 PM
Jul 2018
Warriors: a book series about cats in clans fighting each other. The story spans in constant generations. Huge cast of characters. VERY gory (if I remember right. It's been a lot of years since I last read this series).

The Percy Jackson/Kane Chronicles/Magnus Chase/Heroes of Olympus series: they all take place in the same universe, and some characters even cross over into other series. But because of the dry humor (especially in Percy Jackson), I don't think it'd be very funny for a Japanese audience. Thankfully, comedy is not the main focus of these series, so it should be fine.
Feb 24, 2020 3:52 PM

Mar 2018
Kosmonaut said:
Esquirtit said:
I myself can't wait to see the bathtub scene animated and the seiyuu being given directions to moan throughout it.

I haven't seen it lol, it's for girls. So yeah, no wonder you've seen it and are part of the (probably) very few here who have.

Guess I'll have to watch it now if it's Kosmo approved.
poop
Feb 24, 2020 3:57 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
We need a crossover of Captain Underpants and Amelia Bedelia in anime form

Feb 24, 2020 4:00 PM

Feb 2019
Esquirtit said:
Kosmonaut said:

I haven't seen it lol, it's for girls. So yeah, no wonder you've seen it and are part of the (probably) very few here who have.

I read it, but didn't watch it, because reading girls' books is manlier than watching some numale netflix show.
Feb 24, 2020 4:12 PM

May 2009
I've wanted an anime like Law & Order for years, so why not...let's dream of an anime version of Law & Order.

Complete with all the seriousness and realism and detective work and well-researched legal maneuvering.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 24, 2020 4:13 PM

Mar 2018
Kosmonaut said:
Esquirtit said:

I read it, but didn't watch it, because reading girls' books is manlier than watching some numale netflix show.

True, apparently they edited the bathtub scene (2 years after debut) because it was too much. Girls doing real-life adaptations and shit. Should've watched it when it was hyped, what a stinker. Only anime can save it now.
poop
Feb 24, 2020 4:18 PM

Apr 2010
BiDiGiN said:
Zeroflamez said:

Nippon Animation has adapted a lot of Western litterature to what seems a good result.

That is true however in recent times a lot of what Japan has tried to adapt from Western Anime have been very meh or just flat out bad. The stuff Nippon put out back in the 70s and 80s appear to look pretty decent, I can't say if they are actually good though cause I haven't watched them but they do seem to be the exception.
Feb 24, 2020 4:29 PM

Jun 2019
Homeland could be a pretty solid seinen action imo.

Kosmonaut said:
Esquirtit said:
Why not make it a monster girl ecchi show? That is appropriate and fits the tone.

Leading biologist Scott Pitnick said:
The bigger your 'nads, the smaller your brains
Feb 24, 2020 4:31 PM

Jan 2013
Death Gate's Cycle please.
I'm desperate to get anything related to it.
Feb 24, 2020 4:39 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
something like Baywatch would be nice
Feb 24, 2020 4:41 PM
Sep 2018
Raid: Shadow Legends! For the meme. But Hell Boy would also be great.
“It is my perception that a true friend never relies on another's dream. A person with the potential to be my true friend must be able to find his reason for life without my help. And, he would have to put his heart and soul into protecting his dream. He would never hesitate to fight for his dream, even against me.”

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Feb 24, 2020 4:43 PM
Sep 2018
BallistikJuice said:
I want long-running Dark Seinen series that are based on "Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition" instead of those currently popular One-Pieces/Narutos/Bleaches/Hero Academies and other similar crap.

God! That sounds sooooooooo rad. But I'd rather just have a good berserk adaptation.
“It is my perception that a true friend never relies on another's dream. A person with the potential to be my true friend must be able to find his reason for life without my help. And, he would have to put his heart and soul into protecting his dream. He would never hesitate to fight for his dream, even against me.”

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Feb 24, 2020 4:43 PM
Feb 2018
I would say Blade Runner, but they're aleady making it and have already outdone it with season 1 of Psycho-Pass, so that's out. I guess... ooh! How about The Question from DC Comics?
Feb 24, 2020 5:02 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Star Wars
Harry Potter
The Elder Scrolls games
Spider-Man
Blade
Hitman games
Teen Titans

Feb 24, 2020 5:15 PM

Oct 2017
I would like to see an anime adaptation of "The Wire." It'd be a fun watch, I think.
Feb 24, 2020 5:19 PM

Mar 2016
Bone would be pretty sweet.

Though, it turns out that Netflix has already gotten their hands on it and I'm guessing that it'll be (or already is) handled by a western animation studio.
Feb 24, 2020 5:22 PM

Aug 2016
An anime version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer would be cool.

Deknijff said:
I think Lexx could be a pretty cool action science fiction ecchi in anime form tbh

I'd want this just to see an anime version of 790.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Feb 24, 2020 6:49 PM

Oct 2018
Hmmmmmm, lemme see...

Books/Comics:
Rivers of London
Scott Pilgrim
Seconds

Movies/TV:
Spiderman
The Last Kingdom
Sherlock

Games:
Fallout (Specifically NV)
Katana Zero
DOOM

I would hella want to see trigger do their own spin on spiderman and scott pilgrim, I just think they would work really well with trigger's overall style and aesthetic. Also DOOM should totally have a comedy anime where doomguy just nonchalantly annihilates hell's entire populace in a completely deadpan manner. Kinda like one punch man but in hell and with doomguy instead of saitama.
If you're reading this and you haven't watched Mob Psycho 100, go watch it and then continue with what you were doing.

Also, for the record, JoJo is great, it's fans are not.
Feb 24, 2020 6:56 PM

Jun 2011
^Scott Pilgrim would be fucking amazing, I totally agree.
Feb 24, 2020 7:28 PM

Dec 2008
Oh this is interesting. A new adaptation of something I like would be fun, I won't say awesome because we had the Powerpuff Girls anime which was pretty ehhh.

Other cartoons: Mighty Max, Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. Something uniquely recognizable with a clear premise that a new creative team could take their own try at.

A Harry Potter anime might be fun, as long as it didn't just become a boring rehash like the movies I actually saw. I'm not a big fan myself but I'd like to see the established fandom's reactions. You know there would be high emotions of all kinds.

Adaptations of anime-inspired, anime-esque, properties might also be cool. Perhaps Winx Club, or W.I.T.C.H. (there was already a brief manga version of this one), Code Lyoko, or freaking Steven Universe lolololol.
Feb 24, 2020 7:32 PM

May 2018
I would want see the spongebob anime get made.

SPRING

Feb 24, 2020 8:19 PM

Nov 2019
Horatio Hornblower (but as a sci-fi adaptation), Dune, and The Memoirs of Jacques Casanova de Seingalt.
Feb 24, 2020 8:22 PM

Dec 2014
The Bible .............. I would love to have Shaft or Ufotable do it.
Feb 24, 2020 9:35 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Something tells me that Jerry Spinelli's Stargirl would be well suited for Kyoto Animation...
Anyone else read this book? I haven't read this since middle school lol

Esquirtit said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the people behind Magical Girl Site make that a thing.
Feb 24, 2020 11:22 PM

Sep 2016
The 'Xanth Series' by Piers Anthony would translate into an entertaining anime.

The Japanese wouldn't do it though, because the majority of their domestic audience won't have a good enough understanding of English to get all the bad puns/play on words.
Horses that deliver dreams to people are called Night Mares.
Need some new footwear? Just find a Sandal-wood tree and pick out a pair that fits.

Leo Frankowski's 'A Boy and His Tank' would be an interesting twist on the Mecha genre.
High-Tech tanks with intelligent AI personalities are paired with a human who's ability to see & think in abstract drastically increases their survivability during combat.

All military/combat training of the human is done in virtual reality after insertion into the tank. (Picture something similar to how Neo was connected to the Matrix before he was freed).
You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Feb 24, 2020 11:28 PM

Nov 2016
From western ? nothing is worth to be made as anime (just my opinion I guess no one will agree). That's why I'm watching anime because most western stuffs are not interesting for me (of course there are lots of movies I like but not worth to make them as anime and from serials nothing good)
Feb 24, 2020 11:36 PM

Jun 2019
Would like to atleast see if they could do a better job of an adaption of "The Passage" by Justin Cronin because Fox in america "tried" to make a live action show out of it and by the time they were done the only thing the show and book had in common was the name.
Feb 25, 2020 1:06 AM

May 2018
Last year I made a topic "Which western webcomics do you think are suitable for anime adaptation?" - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1772265

So I would be happy about anime adaptions of the webcomics Girl Genius, Stand Still Stand Silent and Gaia (can add more titles). I think that they work well in this medium.
alshuFeb 26, 2020 5:39 AM
Feb 25, 2020 1:08 AM

Feb 2015
Legacy of Kain. It's a story of some cool-ass vampires (one being former, now sucking souls) travelling through time creating bunch of paradoxes.

Peter Sellers' Pink Panther. Wanna see those nunchucks in slow-motion.
Feb 25, 2020 1:15 AM
Dec 2018
I can't remember when it was but a long time ago I saw a fan animation of Percy Jackson in the anime style. So maybe that
Feb 25, 2020 1:22 AM

Oct 2010
JokerVentura said:

Deknijff said:

I'd want this just to see an anime version of 790.

Just imagining Xev's boobs in anime form makes me smile.

I would love to see a full adaptation of Nabokov's Lolita, it's perfect for japanese audiences.
Feb 25, 2020 1:30 AM

Mar 2011
'I Dream Of Jeannie' would be interesting!

The Story goes something like this: A brilliant (but kinda weebo) young Japanese Student named 'Neru Sono' (a play on the original Protagonist Major Anthony Nelson) who works on School Projects for the Government and their Space Program, while extremely talented, just can't get anything right and life always throws nothing but lemons at him.

One day, an overhasted experimental flight in an improvised, self-built Rocketship has him crash-land on a deserted, uncharted Island in the middle of Nowhere. He surely would've perished, hadn't he accidentally freed a centuries-old (but ageless-looking), cute female Genie from a bottle which he thought to be empty and intended to use for a Message. The incredibly grateful and overly energetic Blonde dressed in old-fashioned clothing like directly taken out of '1001 Arabian Nights' now vows to stay by his side forever and fulfil each and every of his deepest and most innert wishes, which he outright declines except only being sent back home immediately.

And he thought that was it. But nyaa, it turns out Jeannie - as she coincidentally is named - has shorthandedly moved into his Appartement, turning everything even more upside down than it already was.

From that fateful day onward - to say the least - Hilarity ensues...
HapposamaFeb 25, 2020 1:59 AM
Feb 25, 2020 2:30 AM

Aug 2018
Those Elsa and Spiderman videos on youtube, truly the peak of western literature

On a serious note id watch an anime adaptation of doom, maybe if it was made by ufotable or bones
Feb 25, 2020 2:41 AM
Aug 2011
I definitely want to see TMNT as anime. We already had an anime-like take on the famous ninja turtles made by the Korean Dong Woo Animation studio and 4Kids back in 2003 (still the best TMNT version ever), but it's not quite anime. A TMNT series with Gintama level fighting scenes and Kenshin OVA level OST, now that's what I'd like to see. I don't necessarily want them to get overly edgy or brutal, but a little more blood would be a good thing for sure.

I also think that something like The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard series) would fit anime style perfectly. At least the first book. Why not? We already had Death Note and Code Geass, Locke Lamora might not be as exaggeratedly smart as Light and Lelouch, but hey, he's trying. And the fact that he can be outwitted by someone else makes him all the more believable as a character.
Feb 25, 2020 2:47 AM

Aug 2018
Well.. Maybe some historical films, like With Fire and Sword, and like that..
I'd like more history anime in general, including about Europe's history and stuff.. But I guess it wouldn't sell too well in Japan, except if you maybe make it about all countries like Hetalia did or something..
Feb 25, 2020 2:49 AM

Jun 2011
Interview with the Vampire

Especially cause it has a manga.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 22

43 by Ex-Aid »»
2 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 3 hours ago

20 by TheMechaManiac »»
3 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 11 hours ago

25 by epidemia78 »»
3 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

983 by SebasL21 »»
10 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

67 by FanofAction »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.