Forum Settings
Forums

Anime Advanced Search Improvements - Let's Make Anime Properly Searchable

New
Feb 16, 2020 11:56 AM

Jun 2009
EDIT: Mockup of my suggestions + Kineta's mockup from a post below.

Post any suggestions you have that I missed down below

For reference: https://myanimelist.net/anime.php

Since we're able to filter by producer, we should be able to filter by the following too:

1. Studio
2. Licensor
3. Source
4. Season Premiered

Unfortunately, there's a problem here. All studios and licensors appear to be categorised as producers even if they have never produced anything. This makes it difficult to execute accurate advanced searches and also, obviously, creates extra work to fix and maintain the system.

A quick and dirty solution would be to allow us to add multiple producers to the advanced search filter (up to 3 would be fine). But come on guys.....don't you want this fixed properly? The longer studios and licensors are not categorised correctly, the more work it will be to properly fix this part of the system.

We should also be able to filter by:

1. Minimum and Maximum episode count (range boxes)
2. Minimum and Maximum episode length per episode in minutes (range boxes)
3. Broadcast Day
4. Broadcast Time (JST)

You may have noticed that the above 8 suggestions would essentially make the 'information' section on an anime's page actually fully searchable. Some of it already is, but much is left out of the advanced search system.

Arguably the score filter is useless in its current shape because you can just sort by score on the advanced search results page. To make it more useful, outside of just removing it completely, I suggest implementing a maximum end to the score range filter.

A few more things...

Check-boxes to exclude from advanced search results:

1. Completed Anime
2. Dropped Anime
3. Watching Anime
4. On-Hold Anime
5. Plan to Watch Anime

The genre filter is quite bad. You cannot currently include, for example, romance, and then exclude only shounen. You can only use one function or the other simultaneously. A search as exacting as this is impossible. The best you will be able to get is including or excluding one or the other genre.

We have 'AND' operators (include).

We have 'NOT' operators (exclude).

Why do we not have 'OR' operators? And why can we not do an advanced search that has any combination of all 3?

Please. Fix.

Quick Searches/Links: Since there's a bunch of quick searches linked at the bottom of the advanced search page, why not add a few more? Personally, my opinion is that they make the page look bloated, they should be removed, and that other pages already serve their purpose. But anyway...

1. Separate studios (why is it called studios when the filter and site calls them producers? confusion) into producers, studios and licensors.
2. Add ratings quick search
3. Add type quick search

A few more tweaks to the advanced search page/search results:

1. Make the 'search' button more obviously disabled when an invalid advanced search is selected. Currently, only the word 'search' is greyed out and it's a bit too non-obvious.
2. Change 'Most Members' to 'Most Popular' in the sort selection on the advanced search results page for the sake of consistency with the top anime page.
3. Add 'Most Favorited'' to the sort selection on the advanced search results page. Same reason. More functionality.

The above suggestions would add a lot of functionality to the advanced search system, which is a lot of work, so if I were to pick one (well, two) as a top priority, it would be able to search by minimum and maximum episode count.

@Xinil @cyruz @Kineta @Luna
loghneckbeardFeb 27, 2020 9:40 PM
Feb 16, 2020 12:16 PM

Dec 2019
I totally agree with you in a lot of things!
MAL should allow us to filter by Studio and Licensors and by Minimum and Maximum episode count (range boxes) and Minimum and Maximum episode length per episode in minutes (range boxes), these filters seem to be good... I think...

Operators and check boxes would also be great.
Maybe the suggestion that I liked the must was "Check-boxes to exclude from advanced search results".

For now you can use this
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/17961-myanimelist-mal-search-filter
Click here to see My Tampermonkey Scripts For MAL

If you like my work, please consider supporting it!
https://www.patreon.com/hacker09

Feb 24, 2020 12:50 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Ah... I almost forgot about this but I hadn't ticked it off in my notifs yet.

A number of years ago, I made a mockup of a new advanced search which included many of the parameters I think you listed above. This was... sometime in summer 2015 :'D From my side it hasn't been forgotten yet, we're just unfortunately still playing "catch up" from 5 years of Crave graveyard and then DeNA-detonated MAL implosion. This is a good reminder for me to check that it's still in our bug/request tracker.

Edit: Ah, I found it. Feel free to mock-up something similar (or better) with your suggestions.
KinetaFeb 24, 2020 12:56 PM
Feb 24, 2020 3:06 PM
Feb 2015
Would love to have this implemented on the site but this will take a while I assume if it evens gets a chance..
Feb 25, 2020 9:29 PM

Jun 2009
Kineta said:
Ah... I almost forgot about this but I hadn't ticked it off in my notifs yet.

A number of years ago, I made a mockup of a new advanced search which included many of the parameters I think you listed above. This was... sometime in summer 2015 :'D From my side it hasn't been forgotten yet, we're just unfortunately still playing "catch up" from 5 years of Crave graveyard and then DeNA-detonated MAL implosion. This is a good reminder for me to check that it's still in our bug/request tracker.

Edit: Ah, I found it. Feel free to mock-up something similar (or better) with your suggestions.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Kineta, I know you're busy. That mock-up you did is excellent, and is basically what I envisioned.

I went through your mock-up and my list of suggestions and checked off what appears in both.

Appears in both

• Minimum and Maximum episode count (range boxes) ✅
  • De-crapifying genre filter ✅
  • Excluding anime that is on our list from search results ✅

Does not appear in both

• Minimum and Maximum episode length per episode in minutes (range boxes)
  • Studio
  • Licensor
  • Source
  • Season Premiered
  • Minimum and Maximum episode length per episode in minutes (range boxes)
  • Broadcast Day
  • Broadcast Time (JST)
  • Separating type/status/rated dropdowns out into checkboxes
  • Minimum Maximum range boxes for score
  • Default sort option (nice idea Kineta)
  • New section called 'view' and put some new options in there + rejiggered columns.

After doing that, I made a new mockup for you, which combines your mockup + my suggestions :)

It looks a little messy with all the new options but, that can probably be figured out with a little re-jiggering. I also didn't spend too much time finding proper places for all the options, so it has the potential to look better than it does. In any case, advanced search pages were never meant to look pretty, they are only meant to be as functional as possible.
loghneckbeardFeb 27, 2020 5:31 AM
Feb 27, 2020 4:47 AM
Feb 2015
Tyestor said:

It looks a little messy with all the new options but, that can probably be figured out with a little re-jiggering. I also didn't spend too much time finding proper places for all the options, so it has the potential to look better than it does. In any case, advanced search pages were never meant to look pretty, they are only meant to be as functional as possible.

Okay, that honestly looks amazing
Feb 27, 2020 6:39 PM

Jun 2009
Junelovesanime said:
Tyestor said:

Okay, that honestly looks amazing

I'm glad you like it :)
Feb 28, 2020 1:01 AM

Jul 2019
And they should add more tags like more genres when you're searching. More specific stuff
Dec 19, 2020 10:41 AM

Jun 2009
bump because i want this implemented...
Dec 14, 2022 5:45 PM
Feb 2020
bumping
Dec 15, 2022 11:15 AM

Jun 2021
Great suggestions! And the mockup looks good.

Please, also allow us to filter 'Mangaka/Authors' in addition to 'Studios/Producer' and 'Magazines'. I really wish we can search by authors and not just studios and magazines. I know we can use anime.plus for our 'favorite authors' but a dedicated 'Mangaka/Author Search' similar to the Anime Studios and Manga Magazines pages would be nice.
Dec 18, 2022 6:36 AM

Sep 2010
It would also help if advanced search was an actual page and listed in the navigation menu and not just a hidden javascript toggle on the normal search page.
Apr 22, 2023 8:21 AM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
The mockup image on OP post looks like a dream search lol
+1

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Apr 22, 2023 9:23 AM

Apr 2023
You have my support. What an excellent suggestion!
Apr 23, 2023 1:56 PM

Jun 2021
Now that MAL has dark mode, maybe this can be their next big project? We need better advanced search filters. Other sites already have better filters!

Related:
Include more filters
add duration on advanced search like for easy searching of short anime like commercials
IridescentJauneApr 23, 2023 1:59 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
2 hours ago

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.