Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 17, 2020 5:27 PM

May 2019
As the title suggests, if you have to choose your top 1 anime ever, which anime show/film would that be?

I'll start:
- Serial Experiments Lain
yo
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 17, 2020 5:31 PM
Mar 2018
Hunter x Hunter 2011. Shounen with great writing and story. Very epic
Feb 17, 2020 5:32 PM

Sep 2018
Steins; Gate

It's got everything I could ever want in a good anime; Great characters, very interesting plot, great voice acting, etc.
Blanks.
Feb 17, 2020 5:38 PM
Apr 2018
JoJo's bizzare Adventure. Reasons:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Feb 17, 2020 5:40 PM

Jan 2018
Steins;Gate should've been at number 1 for sometime other than the recent Brotherhood/AoT s3 pt2 war. So I'll go with that.
What a beautiful Duwang
Feb 17, 2020 5:40 PM

Jun 2015
Kobato forever and ever. Can't imagine anything taking its throne any time soon.

πŸ’– 𝐼'𝓂 π’½π’Άπ“Žπ’Ήπ‘’π“ƒβ£ πŸ’–

⋆ Λšο½‘β‹†ΰ­¨ΰ­§Λš πŸ’ π’―π“Œπ’Ύπ“‰π“‰π‘’π“‡ πŸ’ π’΄π‘œπ“Šπ’―π“Šπ’·π‘’ πŸ’ Λšΰ­¨ΰ­§β‹†ο½‘Λš ⋆
πŸ’ π‘€π“ŽπΉπ’Ύπ‘”π“Šπ“‡π‘’π’žπ‘œπ“π“π‘’π’Έπ“‰π’Ύπ‘œπ“ƒ πŸ’
Feb 17, 2020 5:49 PM

Mar 2018
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans
Feb 17, 2020 5:55 PM

Sep 2008
End of Evangelion
it's the best part of a franchise that changed anime forever, not only holds up to this day but nothing came close to it.
ι¦¬ιΉΏγ’γŸε€«η†γ€€ε…¨ιƒ¨γ‚¬γƒ©γ‚―γ‚Ώγ§
Feb 17, 2020 6:05 PM

May 2017
Keijo!!!!!!!!

Simply culture and art
Feb 17, 2020 6:08 PM

May 2018
This is a hard question but I'll go with One Piece.

SPRING

Feb 17, 2020 6:13 PM
Sep 2018
Its Yu Yu Hakusho. There's nothing else I'd rather watch. Everyone who has watched the show all the way through knows how great it is. You can just feel the passion of every person who worked on it.
“It is my perception that a true friend never relies on another's dream. A person with the potential to be my true friend must be able to find his reason for life without my help. And, he would have to put his heart and soul into protecting his dream. He would never hesitate to fight for his dream, even against me.”

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Feb 17, 2020 6:22 PM

May 2018
Probably Shrek. Damn, that was hardcore.
Feb 17, 2020 6:23 PM

Sep 2017
I just have to pick the first anime in my favourite list, so that's gonna be Natsume Yuujinchou
Feb 17, 2020 6:25 PM

Sep 2018
Mine would be
Jojo`s Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders season 2
Feb 17, 2020 6:26 PM

Apr 2008
For me it would be Yu Yu Hakusho. It is my all time favorite anime and I have re-watched it more times than anything else.
Feb 17, 2020 6:28 PM
BL Connoisseur

Oct 2008
Kino no Tabi 2003, not the shitty 2017/2018 (Idek when it was exactly) re-adaptation. It's even listed as #1 on my profile. It's been my all-time #1 since 2004, and #1 it shall stay. I don't even think I can find a better anime.

γ€Œ I am forever your most devoted believer. 」

Feb 17, 2020 6:29 PM

Sep 2017
gwendal738 said:
Kino no Tabi 2003, not the shitty 2017/2018 (Idek when it was exactly) re-adaptation. It's even listed as #1 on my profile. It's been my all-time #1 since 2004, and #1 it shall stay. I don't even think I can find a better anime.

The world is not beautiful. Therefore it is.
Feb 17, 2020 7:07 PM

Jan 2019
Madoka magica (the TV series and Rebellion)
Hunter x Hunter is a 1/10
Feb 17, 2020 7:13 PM

May 2009
Oh hey, an excuse to plug Kiddy Grade.

Yeah, Kiddy Grade. How inspirational it is! How it (she?) willingly dives into the political despite knowing full well the consequences to itself (herself?). And how philosophical ideas spring forth from these experiences, yet, rather than being distant and intellectual, they're given the full and poignant force of the emotions.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 17, 2020 7:19 PM

Jan 2010
The current one is fine. That or Gintama.
Feb 17, 2020 7:23 PM

Jun 2012
Gintama is the best sinner out there.
Feb 17, 2020 7:40 PM
ε­”ηœŸγƒ»γ‚³γ‚¦γƒžγ‚³γƒˆ

Jun 2017
Anime Movie: Koe no Katachi (the Shape of Voice/the Silent Voice).
Anime TV Series: Koukyoushihen Eureka Seven (Psalms of Planets Eureka Seven).

Including Anime Movie & TV Series: Koe no Katachi (the Shape of Voice/the Silent Voice).
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Feb 17, 2020 7:46 PM

Aug 2018
It's fricking Gintama for me.I love this series so much.They should pump out more filler episodes like they did in first season.
Feb 17, 2020 7:59 PM
Feb 2018
Hunter X Hunter 2011. Nothing has ever made me feel that hype and in awe. Steins gate is close.
Feb 17, 2020 8:18 PM

Oct 2014
Mine is Yama no Susume. It's not going to be ideal for everyone, but for me personally it's the best anime that I've ever seen.
Feb 17, 2020 8:28 PM

Sep 2018
Top 1 for me (based on anime I've watched so far)

Death Note

and

Kino no Tabi 2003
Feb 17, 2020 8:32 PM
Jul 2018
Steins;Gate is unbeatable. It's perfect in every aspect, from the plot to the characters.
Feb 17, 2020 8:37 PM

Jun 2019
Inuyasha

It's the longest show of any kind I ever watched in order from the beginning in the shortest amount of time. It was my fourth anime and a substantial part of what hooked me into anime for the foreseeable future since I hadn't seen a story of such scope and epic scale in many other places and least of all expected to find it in an animated series, foreign or otherwise. It's one of two series I credit with my full-scale immersion in anime, and has yet to be surpassed or even remotely challenged in its position years later.

If you like long and serialized fantasy whether high or low in literary, film, or television form, like Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, A Song of Ice and Fire, His Dark Materials, Harry Potter, etc., and that has something to appeal to all ages and encompasses a wide cross-section of genres beyond just the obvious fantasy like a really grandiose adventure that spans the length of the whole show, drama, action, romance, etc. It's all there. There are episodes which also go to the brink of even horror and Slice of Life.

The setting - If you love traveling and road trips and prefer not to spend all or most of the series in a school or office building or in the same familiar spots around one town, the setting is all of rural Japan, up and down the mountains and countryside villages in the late 1500s. This means the setting itself can vary episode by episode, but also it allows the setting to become unimportant and just fade into the background when it isn't needed, allowing you to focus on the characters and serve as a faceless background for their development when they're just in some anonymous village and not constrained by the setting. There is a freedom to always traveling even if on a life-or-death quest I've never seen embodied as well as here.

The music - Kaoru Wada should have been able to retire and be memorialized forever for the soundtrack alone. There's maybe only five other entries in any medium where I feel the music amplifies the emotional cues like nostalgia and longing, sorrow, dread, steel resolve, or excitement and exuberance as well as this. And few where I feel the music is so strongly identified with every moment, large and small, of a series. It's evident that the series, masterpiece as it is, would lose a piece of its soul without this music and wouldn't have near the gravitas. The OST is such a fine achievement.

The characters are some of the realest and most invested I've ever felt in a set of characters in any media. If you love Japanese mythology and folklore, history (specifically medieval Japanese history like the Sengoku jidai or Era of Warring States), a mix of sci-fi and fantasy concepts like time travel and a cursed mystical object which can only bring tragedy and intertwines fates across generations together, a lot of character internal and interpersonal growth and depth, and something which shows the extent of human greed and atrocity, war, suffering of the average people, while still having no shortage of inspirational moments and a message of perseverance through hardship and terror, time, love and loss.

One last thing I'll say on the show - It isn't a simplistic story of good and evil as the ending and so many understated moments interspersed throughout serve to demonstrate. It would be so easy to start out or devolve into one and this genre lends itself to lazy caricature perhaps more than any other. Rather it's about how desire can corrupt the hearts of the supposedly good and justify the cruel in their own minds, and how no one is safe from the fallout of human ambition, even across the centuries; cyclical suffering but hope and opportunity in every generation to break the cycle. But that's always been my reading of it and it's also about a bunch of other things. It's just a one-of-a-kind story. If it's your first anime or one of your first, it could end up opening your mind for life.
WatchTillTandavaFeb 17, 2020 8:41 PM
Feb 17, 2020 8:41 PM

Feb 2019
Daycrawler007 said:

Yeah, Shrek was damn amazing. All the blood, violence and political struggles really make it the best anime ever.
Feb 17, 2020 8:56 PM

Oct 2019
Near impossible question to answer. If I have to go for pure quality, ignoring personal taste and my judging style, it's probably Code Geass. Just a really solid, well developed, relatively complex but easy to follow plot and great characters. Going by personal taste + quality, it's fucking Grand Blue. As much as I try to be an intellectual and watch better stuff, Grand Blue is both the most enjoyable anime I've ever seen and flawless in everything they proposed to do. It's hard to rate comedies without either giving it to low of a score just because comedies are in theory easier to make, or to high a score considering what you find funny varies greatly from other people, but every aspect of Grand Blue just hit me as well as it could have. It's MY personal no. 1, and I doubt anything will take the spot on quality alone.
Feb 17, 2020 9:11 PM

Dec 2018
i would say texhnolyze, but i did enjoy the #2 and #3, steins gate was good so was hunter x hunter, greed island is way too painfully shit for the anime to be #1
Feb 17, 2020 9:32 PM
Nov 2019
Banana fish! Loved the character and every episode felt like a rollercoaster. it also struck me emotionally like. seriously. An anime has never hit me like this.
Feb 17, 2020 9:37 PM
May 2018
Code Geass nothing else even really comes to mind
Feb 17, 2020 9:37 PM

Nov 2018
Pragyan1 said:
Daycrawler007 said:

Yeah, Shrek was damn amazing. All the blood, violence and political struggles really make it the best anime ever.

I would say Shrek 2 eclipsed the first and third seasons in terms of quality, characters and writing, and is a definite masterpiece. It's in my books a perfect sequel.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time πŸ™πŸ™
Feb 17, 2020 9:41 PM

Nov 2018
I would have to go with Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It's a masterpiece and it's my all time favorite show.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time πŸ™πŸ™
Feb 17, 2020 9:43 PM

Apr 2017
unpopular opinion darker than black
Feb 17, 2020 9:48 PM

Mar 2018
Pokémon S1 since Misty is top shelf waifu material.
✧ο½₯゚: *✧ο½₯゚:* Love conquers all *:ο½₯゚✧*:ο½₯゚✧

Feb 17, 2020 9:53 PM

Jul 2007
winfoharso said:
Madoka magica (the TV series and Rebellion)

Now I can certainly agree with this.
β˜†β˜†β˜†
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
β˜†β˜†β˜†

Feb 17, 2020 10:03 PM
Sep 2018
lxauren said:
This is a hard question but I'll go with One Piece.

There are very excited animes out there. SG, FMAB or HxH (2011) and Natsume Yuujinchou franchise...

But One Piece tops it all.

For me, after the Skypia arc, There is noting greater than one piece.
Join the Last Parade for your anime Salvation
Feb 17, 2020 10:05 PM
Sep 2018
lilglocky said:
unpopular opinion darker than black

Quite unpopular I will say. But isn't it looks bad compared to One piece? Specially after not so good 2nd season (in my opinion 2nd season is quite bad, compared to 1st season)?
Join the Last Parade for your anime Salvation
Feb 17, 2020 10:06 PM

Oct 2018
I'll be honest, I have a few top number 1 anime. Out of either Hellsing or Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I'd have to go with Hellsing. I've never experienced a show as amazing as that and it's definitely a show that's effect has stuck with me from since i last watched it.

Jojo's is another contender bc I just extremely enjoy the plot of each part and the characters which I find myself getting way too attatched to.
Yorokobe Shounen~!

Feb 17, 2020 10:43 PM

Nov 2019
[Insert an anime from my favourites list]

If the question was "What it's your favourite anime" half of the answers would still be the same.

Anyways, I think the top1 is fine at it is. Even though fmab is not even close of being my favourite show, for some reason i just can't see another anime in the top 1. But i wouldn't mind to see some anime of my list in top 1.
sneed's feed and seed
formerly chuck's
Feb 17, 2020 11:20 PM
Feb 18, 2020 5:44 AM
Jul 2018
It's only Gintama for me, the only anime I can rewatch hundred times without getting bored of it. I would be so happy if this show has the same amount of episodes that DC/OP has. It's truly a masterpiece imo and fuck the pathetic haters who always trashtalk it for no reason.
Feb 18, 2020 5:46 AM

Oct 2019
The original Sailor Moon anime (not the remake)
I love it to pieces and it deserves to be ranked higher tbh.
Feb 18, 2020 6:00 AM

Apr 2019
I think Code Geass should be number one.
Feb 18, 2020 6:03 AM

Jan 2013
Legend of the Galactic Heroes easily
Feb 18, 2020 6:03 AM
Jul 2018
Probably Mob Psycho 100 for me. 2nd season just blew me away.
Feb 18, 2020 7:01 PM

Sep 2010
Code Geass R1 would be my personal number 1 I mean aside from a couple episodes in the middle it was nearly perfect for me honestly. Too bad everything else in the franchise pales in comparison R2 is ass trash and the three trilogy movies/sequel movie were average at best. Akito was good and the little PD dramas sprinkled through out the 10 years were pretty darn good too.

As for films probably Howl's Movie Castle followed very closely by Spirited Away
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Feb 18, 2020 7:35 PM

Feb 2015

meme aside, prolly Nisemonogatari.... the toothbrush scene is just too aesthetically unparalleled, that I'll praise it to death.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 9 hours ago

14 by LNW_R92CP »»
2 minutes ago

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 10 minutes ago

2 by Otakupervert890 »»
7 minutes ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

39 by ryzxgum »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ame - Apr 16

161 by Otakupervert890 »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 10 hours ago

38 by InsomniacBastard »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.