Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 12, 2020 1:27 AM

Apr 2016
JustOppais said:
HectorBlaze said:
I agree Deku is one of the main problems, but he’s not the only one. However, the biggest problem is that I really can’t like any character, excluding All Might. Another problem is the story being less and less intriguing to me, it’s something already seen and whitout elements I particulary like. I think MHA isn’t for me, probably this series will be the last one I watch.
at least you finally made up your mind lol. i drop show way quicker if i don't like it.

Everyone has his times.
HectorBlazeJan 12, 2020 1:49 AM
Jan 12, 2020 2:19 AM

Apr 2012
Just like how HeroAca borrowed a lot of ideas from Naruto, Deku is now facing the same problem as Naruto.

Deku's character arc has already ended by the end of season 3 just like how Naruto's character arc has ended after Pain.

First it was his fight with muscular where he learned how a hero actually feels actually putting their lives on the line. Then it was him telling his mom that it doesn't have to be UA. This meant that he's no longer continuing as an All Might fanboy because following in his footsteps is no longer such a big deal as long as he becomes a hero. He's found his hero identity and path instead of being just All Might 2.0 and he has proven his passion for the role of a hero instead of just the glory and prestige of UA. Lastly it was him leading the relationship with Bakugo towards a more healthy direction. There's nothing more for him internally to resolve anymore which is why the only sort of character development after that arc can only just be powerlevel and quirk ups and eventually dealing with All Might's death (if it does happen). Which is also why Todoroki, Bakugo and Shigaraki are way more interesting continuing onwards because their character are actually incomplete.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Jan 12, 2020 2:23 AM

Apr 2012
avn2 said:
ChainxBastard said:
Mirio was infinitely more interesting.

I have a horrific time getting invested in basic generic anime shows where the main character is a net negative in comparison to every other character in the show because the supporting cast constantly props up the generic hero as if he was the second reincarnation of Jesus.

He's a good kid, he's smart and he works hard. Don't get me wrong.

But he's also far too timid, mentally fragile, has low self-esteem, yet it is not explored enough to be shown as a detriment so that he looks like a more well rounded and organic character.

My biggest pet peeve is when a character's "flaws" are never shown as a true flaw in the purpose of the narrative.

Deku could have easily been in a situation where he freezes up due to "analysis paralysis" and suffers a major loss. We know he's prone to overthinking but that NEVER happens.
'
We know that he is capable of injuring himself far too severely due to his martyr complex. He should have suffered a horrific injury that changed the trajectory of his career....forever.

But that NEVER happens.

I could go on.

I hate it when main characters aren't called out for their BS. Look at all the better examples....

Gon, Edward Elric, hell even GOKU gets called out for his BS. When a main character doesn't get absolved of their flaws by virtue of the fact that they're a main character, then the supporting cast looks as dynamic and organic as the main character himself.

But in BNHA, it just doesn't happen. Deku is bland, and every character that supports him by virtue gets shown as bland as well because their praise has ZERO basis.

Deku is why I can not invest in this show.

Why you talking like you know so much about anime when you have only seen 4

Some people don't update their lists and using people's lists as an argument without actually responding to his arguments is not a good way of discussion.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Jan 12, 2020 2:25 AM
Dec 2013
Deku is not the issue. he's a classic shounen protagonist. some great shounen will introduce some depth but MHA was always generic\simplistic and the side characters are shining bright....

This season is poorly done.
Jan 12, 2020 4:03 PM

Nov 2015
CaptainBubblegum said:
Deku is not the issue. he's a classic shounen protagonist.

Who wins with plot convinces and 1,000,000% ass pulls.

He has everything going for him.
What more dose he need to be a true hero?
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Jan 12, 2020 7:02 PM
Nov 2019
Midoriya is actually one of the reasons why Boku no Hero Academia is one of the best shounen of all time!

His social behavior is realistic and that makes him a complex and realistic character.
VitorLeiteAncapJan 12, 2020 7:17 PM
Buy Bitcoins and others cryptos(like Monero), the great crisis is coming!
Also don't forget, taxation is theft!
Jan 12, 2020 8:22 PM
Jan 2016
I will agree that Deku is an ICREDIBLY stereotypical shounen protagonist. Every character is way more interesting than him.
Feb 14, 2020 6:35 AM
Dec 2013
Old_School_Akira said:
CaptainBubblegum said:
Deku is not the issue. he's a classic shounen protagonist.

Who wins with plot convinces and 1,000,000% ass pulls.

He has everything going for him.
What more dose he need to be a true hero?

Right, the best quirk he can't fully use... that's the whole show.
Him growing both in skill but also as a hero. like any other shounen, he simply "has" the power already just needs to master it. it's the same thing!

Boku is great if you don't mind the generic, predictable shounen. if you want something surprising or complex you're at the wrong place.(Most shounen are SIMPLE)
Feb 15, 2020 11:30 AM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
Izuku is recycle from Jack Midoriya (a salaryman wanna be hero) but took a 180 turn
https://mangahub.io/chapter/boku-no-hero-academia_142/chapter-0

As for his behavior, imagine how he would end up if he didn't have his power. :D
https://mangahub.io/chapter/boku-no-hero-true-hero/chapter-3

Quirkless? Weight training is the answer to become one of the most strongest quirkless hero. (Rock Lee?) His attitude is holding him back. Since the beginning he should've stop comparing himself to other and focus solely on himself. Idolizing All Might to the point of having goods/figures. The answer were simple, become Batman or Ironman. Just team up with Mei Hatsume and have her create support gears.
Feb 15, 2020 12:28 PM

Nov 2014
ChainxBastard said:
twoego said:
That's interesting and all, but what's with your profile? What are you doing with the "1" rating on Chihayafuru? Also, I do somewhat agree with the post.

It's not good that's why. Anyways off topic.

it's definitely good.
and even if it's not, it doesn't deserve a 1.
that's totally unjust.

Sakurai_Aoi said:
Deku has been in serious danger several times and he has been seriously injured. His dream of being a hero was on the line and even his life was at times. Just because it didn't happen before doesn't make the consequences any less "real". Sometimes, the bad things just happen sooner or later than we expect them. That's just how it is.

But since the beginning we know that "this is the story of how I became the strongest hero" so we know for sure that 1. Deku became a hero so "His dream of being a hero was on the line" and "even his life was at times" doesn't provide any tension because we know he's not going to die and no matter what happens he's still gonna become the number 1 hero, so any major conflict he encounters, any villains he face that seem too strong for him to defeat, any situations he's in where it seems like he's gonna die, we know he will be able to get out of these unscathed because he "became the strongest hero".
ttcchenFeb 15, 2020 11:36 PM
Feb 15, 2020 5:52 PM
Oct 2019
xkazutox said:
Izuku is recycle from Jack Midoriya (a salaryman wanna be hero) but took a 180 turn

As for his behavior, imagine how he would end up if he didn't have his power. :D

Quirkless? Weight training is the answer to become one of the most strongest quirkless hero. (Rock Lee?) His attitude is holding him back. Since the beginning he should've stop comparing himself to other and focus solely on himself. Idolizing All Might to the point of having goods/figures. The answer were simple, become Batman or Ironman. Just team up with Mei Hatsume and have her create support gears.

Bruh you're comparing characters from different universes. Weight training wouldn't work in the MHA universe because unlike DBZ and Naruto where you can train your body over it's limit and then just eat and sleep a lot to recover completely, In the MHA universe, like in the real world there is a limit to how much you can train and Overworking from that will cause harm instead of benefits as mentioned by All might in the second chapter when Deku overworks himself. Addd to this Deku was 14 when he met All might and his body had limitations, then his limitations should be even lower at the age of <13. Also Rock Lee has Chakra in his body (he just can't use ninjustsu or Genjutsu) and can use the eight gates for tougher opponents, he can't just beat villians due to being trained.
And you're whole be batman or Iron Man, you seem to forget that one of the main reasons these people can do so is because they have seemingly limitless cash to fund them, Deku does not. Batman had enough resources to go and train with the world's top martial artists for 8-10 years something Deku can't do. Iron Man has a lot of things in his suits that don't exist in the MHA world like arc core reactors and Nano technology. The support items of MHA as the name suggests is to support the persons abilities. Giving anyone else Bakugo's gauntlets or Kaminari's sharpshooter gear wouldn't help them. Add to this both these men are born prodigies who had peak human intelligence and capability to reach peak human conditioning, something Deku is not.
Also the whole plot hole of why only make the gadgets for Deku would open hear. Unlike OFA, suits and gadgets can be made for everyone repeatedly so why would they only make one for Deku and not for others who already have powers and can be powered up further by them?
Feb 16, 2020 4:49 AM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
A_Pli said:
xkazutox said:

Bruh you're comparing characters from different universes. Weight training wouldn't work in the MHA universe because unlike DBZ and Naruto where you can train your body over it's limit and then just eat and sleep a lot to recover completely, In the MHA universe, like in the real world there is a limit to how much you can train and Overworking from that will cause harm instead of benefits as mentioned by All might in the second chapter when Deku overworks himself. Addd to this Deku was 14 when he met All might and his body had limitations, then his limitations should be even lower at the age of <13. Also Rock Lee has Chakra in his body (he just can't use ninjustsu or Genjutsu) and can use the eight gates for tougher opponents, he can't just beat villians due to being trained.
And you're whole be batman or Iron Man, you seem to forget that one of the main reasons these people can do so is because they have seemingly limitless cash to fund them, Deku does not. Batman had enough resources to go and train with the world's top martial artists for 8-10 years something Deku can't do. Iron Man has a lot of things in his suits that don't exist in the MHA world like arc core reactors and Nano technology. The support items of MHA as the name suggests is to support the persons abilities. Giving anyone else Bakugo's gauntlets or Kaminari's sharpshooter gear wouldn't help them. Add to this both these men are born prodigies who had peak human intelligence and capability to reach peak human conditioning, something Deku is not.
Also the whole plot hole of why only make the gadgets for Deku would open hear. Unlike OFA, suits and gadgets can be made for everyone repeatedly so why would they only make one for Deku and not for others who already have powers and can be powered up further by them?

Well, in OPM universe, there's also Mumen Rider. Deku CAN do, he have internet at home. He can do his research on other hero's quirk, so he could have focus on self development. Whether it's martial art/gun/sword, he could do it on his own without someone there training him and be his emotional support. There are chara that start out alone by themselves to get to a certain physics, their work bares fruit when they learn survival skill/hero skill through academy.
The reason why I mention Rock Lee is mainly because of their mindset and determination to push oneself futher to be able to stand on the same stage next to other who are gifted.
As for the gadget and suit, yes everyone have them. But if you look at Mei Hatsumei's quirk. It have absolutely nothing to do with her intelligence and her skill of inventing new tools. If all her quirk does is zoom, she could literally create a advance tech scope goggle that does the same thing as her quirk which mean her quirk is nothing special and she's replacable with invention. HOWEVER, don't you look down on them. It's the same with quirk, it's the way you use them that make them unique. She could become a gunner/sniper. Deku could think of something unique for himself.

The thing with hero is...anyone can become a hero easily after they graduate in this setting. It's also available through means like general study, support, business etcs. Even if he didn't go to school, there are ideal hero which Stain talked about. Deku goal is always want to be a hero. It's limited and lack of ambitions. Think of Hokage>Shinobi /magic emperor>magic knight.
He should revise his goal to become the top #1 hero instead of just a hero.
Remember, this series started with him being quirkless to have the best op quirk power from someone else.
Fuwa_sanFeb 16, 2020 4:55 AM
Feb 16, 2020 4:55 AM

Sep 2019
xkazutox said:
A_Pli said:

Well, in OPM universe, there's also Mumen Rider. Deku CAN do, he have internet at home. He can do his research on other hero's quirk, so he could have focus on self development. Whether it's martial art, he could do it on his own without someone there training him and be his emotional support. There are chara that start out alone by themselves to get to a certain physics, their work bares fruit when they learn survival skill/hero skill through academy.
The reason why I mention Rock Lee is mainly because of their mindset and determination to push oneself futher to be able to stand on the same stage next to other who are gifted.
As for the gadget and suit, yes everyone have them. But if you look at Mei Hatsumei's quirk. It have absolutely nothing to do with her intelligence and her skill of inventing new tools. If all her quirk does is zoom, she could literally create a advance tech scope goggle that does the same thing as her quirk which mean her quirk is nothing special and she's replacable with invention. HOWEVER, don't you look down on them. It's the same with quirk, it's the way you use them that make them unique. She could become a gunner/sniper. Deku could think of something unique for himself.

The thing with hero is...anyone can become a hero easily after they graduate in this setting. It's also available through means like general study, support, business etcs. Even if he didn't go to school, there are ideal hero which Stain talked about. Deku goal is always want to be a hero. It's limited and lack of ambitions. Think of Hokage>Shinobi /magic emperor>magic knight.

Erm... did you even watch the first episode of hero academia?? He did revise his goals to become #1 Hero. What're you trying to say here? Can you please elaborate...

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Feb 16, 2020 5:00 AM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
White_Hollow said:
xkazutox said:

Well, in OPM universe, there's also Mumen Rider. Deku CAN do, he have internet at home. He can do his research on other hero's quirk, so he could have focus on self development. Whether it's martial art, he could do it on his own without someone there training him and be his emotional support. There are chara that start out alone by themselves to get to a certain physics, their work bares fruit when they learn survival skill/hero skill through academy.

Erm... did you even watch the first episode of hero academia?? He did revise his goals to become #1 Hero. What're you trying to say here? Can you please elaborate...

Woops, I might have forgot about that. Sorry I only wrote what I best remembered from watching an anime once. Not a big fan of watching any series more than once.

He shoul state it out more regularly like Naruto/Asta of what he trying to become, but I haven't heard of it this past year. Anyway, that wasn't my main point. I did try to compare him to what he should be without the quirk although I got side tracked
Fuwa_sanFeb 16, 2020 5:34 AM
Feb 16, 2020 5:26 AM

Sep 2019

Okay fair enough. I guess it's a given that you don't remember it. And you said it yourself that you don't do rewatch.

Tbh, if deku were to do the same thing as Hatsumei then, he'd not qualify as a hero. Only a support item technician, he could only be a sidekick at best. If that happens then we wouldn't have a battle shounen. And there won't be as much as people who'd buy the idea and get interested in this anime.

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Feb 16, 2020 5:39 AM
Oct 2019
xkazutox said:
A_Pli said:

Well, in OPM universe, there's also Mumen Rider. Deku CAN do, he have internet at home. He can do his research on other hero's quirk, so he could have focus on self development. Whether it's martial art/gun/sword, he could do it on his own without someone there training him and be his emotional support. There are chara that start out alone by themselves to get to a certain physics, their work bares fruit when they learn survival skill/hero skill through academy.

Did we watch the same anime? Isn't the point you made at first basically Deku entire character. He has more than 13 notebooks worth of analysis on heroes, their quirks, what makes them popular, special moves, techniques and more. His biggest character trait is mainly how good of an analyst he is.
Also what are you on about of how it is also available through support, business and General study making heroes? Not everyone who graduates from U.A. gets to become a hero, that was the whole point of Shinsou's character and how he wanted to transfer from General studies to the Hero course. The students from the other course go to their own field, not the hero track.
Also your whole argument about how he can train on his own, did you miss my entire point of how he was a kid before meeting All might. There was such a limitation for how much he could train. Also No he can't train martial arts/sword or gun without someone's help, at least not properly. The last two shouldn't even need explainations how is a 14 year old supposed to get a sword or a Gun especially in a heavily weapon regulated country like Japan. And about him becoming a hero without a license, wasn't it stressed enough times that doing so is basically Vigilantism and is majorly punishable by law in the MHA world. There is an entire spin-off series about it.
MHA is a show that constantly puts focus on how there are so much limitations to what you can do without a proper quirk. Just take Aizawa for an example, he has a strong at times quirk and support items to help him, yet he was almost killed by a beginner Shigaraki (Not the current Manga one who can basically level a city) and a Nomu (Not even a high end). And he is someone who has trained himself a lot and is a pro.
Also are you really bringing up OPM? You do know OPM is basically a show that parodies tropes of Shounen and Superheroes. Don't tell me you are going to say he could have just done Saitama's training regime to be a hero.
In a way let me give a explanation you might understand better. In terms of the MHA world, Deku's training could take him probably as far a step downgrade version of Nighteye, as Nighteye has the advantage that after seeing the future so many times he can predict others moves faster, which Deku wouldn't have. As I mentioned before in the MHA world there is a proper limitation set on how much you can train and how stronger you can get by just training. Nighteye, Stain and Erasurehead are probably the best example of how far you can get with just training.Notice how all of these people are adults meaning they could have started proper training after reaching a certain age, which is actually canon for Stain. And here is the thing Nighteye gets killed on the first arc he is involved in even though he had the added advantage I previously mentioned due to his quirk, Stain though highly successful against quirked individuals has a massive advantage due to his quirk and also because no one knew what his quirk is. I mean one of the main reason he lost was because Deku figured out how his quirk worked and warned the others to avoid getting their blood ingested. And with Aizawa, I already mentioned what he ended up suffering.
At last I would like to add, the writer could have written Deku as a quirkless hero like he originally planned with Jack Midoriya (although all heroes were quirkless in that setting so it wasn't that special). He could have changed the limitations of the world and made it possible and maybe that version is something you would enjoy more.
But in my personal opinion, I actually enjoy this version more. I too thought about Deku being a quirkless hero before but For me one of the reasons I love MHA is because of the limitations that are set in the story. For me it would make the other characters look bad if a person could become better than them just by training, something they too could do plus their added abilities. Because frankly I love the fact that MHA constantly stresses the fact that everyone is giving their all but some are just ahead of the others because they have better quirks or they just do things differently or they are giving an extra few percent effort. For a quirkless person to Overtake those with quirks their effort should be a lot higher then the others which as I have mentioned can't be done due to the limitations of MHA unless everyone else was slacking off which would just make the side characters look terrible.
Feb 16, 2020 5:44 AM

Dec 2018
I’m not a massive fan of BNHA but I thought Deku was one of the better characters. My main problem in BNHA is the sheer amount of side characters that feel pointless and take away time that could of been used on the main characters.
Feb 19, 2020 4:09 PM
Dec 2016
Monochrosanity said:
I’m not a massive fan of BNHA but I thought Deku was one of the better characters. My main problem in BNHA is the sheer amount of side characters that feel pointless and take away time that could of been used on the main characters.

It’s funny you have that opinion because the main complaint of manga readers lately has been we aren’t seeing the side characters enough
Feb 20, 2020 2:19 AM

Dec 2018
Nobody5464 said:
Monochrosanity said:

It’s funny you have that opinion because the main complaint of manga readers lately has been we aren’t seeing the side characters enough
That’s surprising. I’m not sure how far ahead the manga is but I’ve always found that the main characters have never really reached their maximum potential and still have a long way in being developed, I’ve chocked this up to side characters often taking the lead role not giving the main characters much chance to develop.
Feb 20, 2020 7:35 AM
Feb 2020
NGL my SO won't even watch the show because Deku is such a sniveling bish.

I think he has had the proper amount of injury/repercussions so far. I mean, he's just starting out, how mangled should he be?
Feb 20, 2020 1:20 PM
Feb 2019
Honestly I don't like Deku that much either, he has a good heart but he's kind of annoying with his bitchy attitude, he's been doing it for 4 seasons now, by this point I expected him to change that attitude. That being said, I find Bakugo even more annoying, his screaming bitchy attitude is even worse than Deku. While I don't like Deku that much I don't hate him either but I definitely hate Bakugo.

Another of the problem from this anime is that it has way too many characters that feels underdeveloped and serve no other purpose but to be "filler" characters, this is the problem of animes/mangas having way too many characters but that's to be expected on this anime which happens to be about school kids characters (in a school obviously) trying to become a hero.
Feb 21, 2020 11:09 PM

Nov 2018
Not even close.

BNHA's main problem is that it's a battle shounen that contains more drama than action.There wouldn't be any problems, if all of the stuff was good written, but pacing and writing are going from bad to average, rarely going beyond that level.

Fancy colours, bright superheroes with generic personalities(some of them actually show promise, but they progress so slowly...)and THICC girlz.That's more than enough for some.
Heroes that just want to save everyone and vilains that just want to destroy everything(except for Stain).
I hate everyone equally
Feb 22, 2020 2:03 AM
Oct 2019
Zevven said:
Not even close.

BNHA's main problem is that it's a battle shounen that contains more drama than action.There wouldn't be any problems, if all of the stuff was good written, but pacing and writing are going from bad to average, rarely going beyond that level.

Fancy colours, bright superheroes with generic personalities(some of them actually show promise, but they progress so slowly...)and THICC girlz.That's more than enough for some.
Heroes that just want to save everyone and vilains that just want to destroy everything(except for Stain).

I can understand your initial statement. I actually enjoy the extra drama and I actually think the pacing is one of the best among the different Shounen I have watched but these are subjective opinions and I can understand if these are reasoning you don't like them.
But your later statement feel like you probably are misinterpreting the characters. The students have different reasonings to wanting to be a hero Deku feels saving others is the coolest thing to do, Bakugo wants to prove he is the best, Uraraka wants to make money to support her family, Iida wants to be like his brother, Todoroki wants to be his own person and accomplish what his father couldn't on his own, Mineta just wants to be popular, etc. Same with the villains, the villians we have got are the league, Stain, Overhaul and now Gentle. Among these the league is the only one who wants to destroy (and too we haven't got the reasoning for in anime). You prob understand stain. Overhaul basically wants to Overhaul society and he had an intricate plan of using the quirks erasing bullets to create a condition in the Hero World which would allow the Yakuza to become top dogs of the Underworld again as shown in episode 13. And Gentle, well I don't want to spoil it for you but let's just say his goal is far away from destroy.
Feb 22, 2020 6:08 AM

Aug 2019
i kinda like the fact that he's simple. this show isnt meant to be that deep. just some fun shounen action show to lose yourself to for 24 minutes. and i liked the fact that deku always had something to strive to. he has a CLEAR motivation, he isn't just beating around the bush for nothing.

Feb 22, 2020 6:57 AM

Mar 2019
I agree I think after season 1 he started becoming a bad protagonist. But I don't think Mirio is any better than him.
Feb 22, 2020 2:09 PM
Feb 2016
Mha fans will literally threaten you for talking bad of their lord and saviour deku. fact of the matter is, he IS the problem. Originally it is said that he works hard to get to where he is now but thats entirely false.

First off he gets free powers from all might and constantly asspulls his way through fights. He ends up one shotting villains and even getting out of mind control for no reason. Anything that happens plot wise revolves around him and changes in his favour.

As seasons go by he becomes more and more like the chosen one, similar to how Naruto became. Mirio had to go through all that just to make Deku look good even though he's clearly the better hero and more deserving to inherit all for one because he worked hard with his own powers. Deku getting the power from Eri was disgusting tbh because Mirio had to try so hard for nothing.

Deku is legit one of the worst shounen protagonists ever.
Feb 22, 2020 2:11 PM
Feb 2016
Resus-2 said:
Honestly I don't like Deku that much either, he has a good heart but he's kind of annoying with his bitchy attitude, he's been doing it for 4 seasons now, by this point I expected him to change that attitude. That being said, I find Bakugo even more annoying, his screaming bitchy attitude is even worse than Deku. While I don't like Deku that much I don't hate him either but I definitely hate Bakugo.

Bakugo deserves credit for being observant and calling out Deku for how unfair it is of him using someone else's power unlike the rest of the characters that suck Deku off
Feb 22, 2020 4:37 PM
Feb 2019
killerqueen2000 said:
Bakugo deserves credit for being observant and calling out Deku for how unfair it is of him using someone else's power unlike the rest of the characters that suck Deku off

I hate to disagree on that one man, Bakugo was being a dick to Deku even when Deku was quirkless, he's simply an annoying bully with a superiority complex.

I wish he lose something for good (like a limb or 2) to see if that character finally mellows out and start acting like a decent human being for once.
Feb 23, 2020 2:37 PM
Jun 2019
Deku has been awful since season 2. End of discussion.
Feb 28, 2020 10:18 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Eana_ said:
I agree I think after season 1 he started becoming a bad protagonist. But I don't think Mirio is any better than him.

Still way better than the garbage neanderthal you have as your avatar.

killerqueen2000 said:
Resus-2 said:

Katsushit is single handedly the worst character in battle shounen, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 6, 2020 11:21 AM

Jan 2015
I mostly agree with what you say actually but not to the same level. I don't dislike Deku but I think he is one of the weaker characters. I just find the characters around him more interesting, Todoroki, Bakugo and Mirio I find all more interesting.

Shigaraki kinda suffers the same fate I feel. I found Stain and Overhaul alot more interesting than him.

But I especially felt this after the latest arc. I was so invested in the Mirio vs Overhaul fight and when Deku entered and took over for Mirio I lost alot of interest sadly. And I was 50/50 on Deku 100% vs Overhaul, I think it could easily have been on par with All Might vs All for One but it ended up being so one sided so I don't really know how to feel about it.

So for me I think the main problem with BNHA is that it's often the side characters, some who only appear in one arc, who are alot more interesting than the main heroes and villains.
Mar 6, 2020 12:26 PM

May 2018
Why would you want to watch a character that's already perfect? I'd rather watch a character go from having all the flaws you listed to a powerful and strong character. Its about the development, and Deku has developed so far. And he will develop more over the series.
Mar 6, 2020 3:32 PM
Dec 2017
Nick-Knight said:
>Looking at this thread title with Bakucancer existing on the same universe as him.
*JOHN CENA's Voice* Are you sure about that?
Cringe

VortexOfLight said:
ChainxBastard said:

But he's also far too timid, mentally fragile, has low self-esteem, yet it is not explored enough to be shown as a detriment so that he looks like a more well rounded and organic character.

I have to agree with you on the matter that Deku's more social flaws don't get called out. However, I'm fairly confident that his demeanour and behaviour will be addressed a little into the future. We had a recent chapter in the manga (forgive me if I'm a little fuzzy on the details), where all the students were being assessed for their social skills (or something like that) by Midnight. It was mostly played for tropes, with Bakugo getting angry and Mineta being Mineta, but there were two standout moments for me: Deku was called out for his anxiety and lack of confidence, and Todoroki was singled out as plain and unexpressive.

Of course, this was played off, and hasn't been addressed since, but I'd like to think that it was only brought up because Horikoshi is aware of the flaws of his characters, and is looking to improve them. I dearly hope they are brought up later, since one thing the show did right for me in the first season is to show us why All Might is objectively the greatest hero. His willpower, his presence, and everything about how he carried himself (even when he was faking it) showed us exactly why he was considered the best. That said, Deku as he is right now can't hope to achieve that level of greatness by virtue of the power of his quirk alone. Looking at it from a sociological perspective, it just won't happen, since current Deku's social appeal and projection pales in comparison to All Might's.

Deku's weaknesses as a character, and as a prospective hero, have been touched on, which is why I feel the need to agree with your post. Counterintuitive, I know. I'm saying this because I feel that they didn't get enough attention over that short time period, and am greatly concerned that they will be sweeped under the carpet, which would make the whole matter a lot worse, since we were educated as to the nature of his flaws, but nothing was done about it, negating the fundamental shonen themes of growth and self-improvement. It just wouldn't make sense.

In conclusion, you're right, and Horikoshi seems to know it. Here's to hoping it's actually addressed, since while many people have come to accept series like Naruto and Bleach for what they are in spite of all their flaws, My Hero Academia still has a long way to go, and still has a chance to clear such things before passing the point of no return. If nothing else, it'll satisfy fans like us if it does.

Nah man, you don't really get it when some of us were ranting about how Mirio alone kept us watching this heinous show. As you may already know, Mirio is the only hero with a quirk so difficult to perfect, it could lead to his instant death if performed incorrectly. A double-edged sword would be the best illustration of his quirk. His parents as expected quit from being heroes fearing the dangers of permeation but Mirio never gave up after all the bullying he received from his classmates for ridiculing himself while training his quirk. That alone makes him worthy of respect.

All might on the other hand, is a huge faggot and mentally impaired too. He gave his precious quirk to a random weakling with endless beta male vibes just because he felt like it LOL! At this stage of the story, I was skeptical whether I should continue wasting my time on this defective cartoon. Mirio was the CHOSEN ONE, his quirk with the combination of one for all, unquestionably would have made him the most powerful hero of all time. Nighteye was always right at the beginning when he had seen All Might's future. Dekou acts exclusively on feelings which doesn't make any sense and Lemillion on the contrary, is calculated. The way they handled my favorite character who is clearly superior than Dekou is just stupidity at its finest. The author introduced an interesting character for like 1 season (24 episodes) and then immediately render him useless after his first significant fight.

Now let's talk about the basic concepts of how flawed the world of MHA is. I will make a few major points not getting too much into detail.
>First of all, why do the majority of the villains don't carry a modern ranged weapon for example a machine gun, rocket launcher, any military grade weapon. The fight between the gas mask villain and class B was a critical turning point for most of the mature fanboys.
>MHA's world is built in modern J*pan around heroes and villains. Where is the military? There are only cops and swat team with some display of feeble firearms.
>Introduction of 20 characters yet focuses only on Dekou, Bakugo, half half guy and the girls.
>Pacing. Still stuck in school after season 4 for nearly 100 episodes.
>useless quirk namely lockdown, bubble, tape, collapsible, sugar rush, navel lazer, snake hair, and so on. A quirkless cop would have been definitely more useful than any of these heroes.
>Mundane characters, lack of complexity and development especially for the heroes.

Refute any of these points. Pro tip: you can't

Itchy knee sand shit go rock you, cunt
1+1 Abomb = peace.

Mar 7, 2020 5:29 AM

Aug 2017
adolfsax said:

Now let's talk about the basic concepts of how flawed the world of MHA is. I will make a few major points not getting too much into detail.
>First of all, why do the majority of the villains don't carry a modern ranged weapon for example a machine gun, rocket launcher, any military grade weapon. The fight between the gas mask villain and class B was a critical turning point for most of the mature fanboys.
>MHA's world is built in modern J*pan around heroes and villains. Where is the military? There are only cops and swat team with some display of feeble firearms.
>Introduction of 20 characters yet focuses only on Dekou, Bakugo, half half guy and the girls.
>Pacing. Still stuck in school after season 4 for nearly 100 episodes.
>useless quirk namely lockdown, bubble, tape, collapsible, sugar rush, navel lazer, snake hair, and so on. A quirkless cop would have been definitely more useful than any of these heroes.
>Mundane characters, lack of complexity and development especially for the heroes.

Refute any of these points. Pro tip: you can't

Trust me, I have no intention to. There's no right or wrong here, and everything you've said so far is objectively correct. But the thing is, we need to draw a line when it comes to entertainment media, especially shōnen. If you lack a suspension of disbelief, anime isn't for you, and you should stick to textbooks (sorry, didn't mean to make it seem like I'm attacking anyone in particular, just trying to state a general fact).

adolfsax said:

All might on the other hand, is a huge faggot and mentally impaired too. He gave his precious quirk to a random weakling with endless beta male vibes just because he felt like it LOL! At this stage of the story, I was skeptical whether I should continue wasting my time on this defective cartoon. Mirio was the CHOSEN ONE, his quirk with the combination of one for all, unquestionably would have made him the most powerful hero of all time. Nighteye was always right at the beginning when he had seen All Might's future. Dekou acts exclusively on feelings which doesn't make any sense and Lemillion on the contrary, is calculated. The way they handled my favorite character who is clearly superior than Dekou is just stupidity at its finest. The author introduced an interesting character for like 1 season (24 episodes) and then immediately render him useless after his first significant fight.

Within the scope of the flaws in the series that I'm willing to overlook, just so I don't fry my brain, I won't refute or shoot down any of your points about the issues in the basic concepts. What's more, I agree with you on Lemillion too. What I wanted to clarify about my statement on All Might is just the fact that I wasn't defending his (braindead) decisions. I was just saying that it was understandable why he was considered the Top Hero, since that facet of his character seems geared right: he radiates confidence and hope, and has the kind of demeanor you would expect from a hero, as opposed to a police officer or such.

But here's where I have to play the Devil's Advocate. All Might... kinda sucks, in a way. Sure, he seems like a good symbol and hero, but it's only because the relative scale is that bad. The other heroes in the series are just so terrible in how they handle their role in society that All Might just looks better in comparison. That isn't enough to qualify him realistically, given that this is literally a world and society, centered around the concept of heroes and heroics. While I don't like to digress from anime on MyAnimeList, I would like to point to Watchmen, which gave us a take on heroes' role on society. This is what My Hero Academia lacks: a sociological angle to its exploration of hero society. There's too much focus on the heroics (fights and superpowers) to give a single thought to how much of a mess a hero system like this would be in a real (or even semi-realistic) world. For one person to become a pillar of a world like this, you can't settle for someone like All Might. You're looking for someone akin to a perfect human being, the superhero equivalent of King Arthur or Rama (not flawless, granted, but close enough).

That detour might seem pointless, considering that my argument started by advocating a suspension of disbelief, but it ultimately corresponds to why I had to answer your post: I can't find it in me to outright reject any of your points, but that still isn't enough for me to adopt the same view as you. There's nothing wrong in knowing and acknowledging the flaws in a series. Some of us are definitely critical and experienced enough to do so, but shutting off your brain and just enjoying something for the kicks isn't wrong either. I'm not trying to come off too strong about it, but just because you see the flaws in something doesn't mean you force others to react to it. I'd gladly like to keep this conversation about the problems in My Hero Academia (let's be honest, it's just a rant at this point) alive, but that won't stop me from enjoying the show (somewhat, at least). I can't say how I enjoy something that I can thoroughly deconstruct and complain about, but that honestly shouldn't matter, since I'm only here for entertainment anyways... we all are.
Mar 17, 2020 5:54 PM

Aug 2016
the main problem is BNHA taking itself too seriously. if it was about about teens having fun in a hero academy and best boy Mineta being the MC, it would be a masterpiss
:v
Apr 10, 2020 11:28 PM
Oct 2019
Totally agree, OP. I personally hate Deku and wish he wasn't part of the series. MHA would be much better off without him, imo.
Apr 11, 2020 12:20 AM
Jul 2018
I actually came to the same conclusion as op's post after rewatching the todoroki vs deku fight in season 2.I ended up typing this post in that episode thread(episode11).

"Yeah the thing with midoriya having to brutally injuring himself every time he activates one for all just comes off as badly written stakes along as well as being really forced melodrama which should result in midoriya never trying to do that again just to be a hero.Recovery girl even notifying midoriya that she won't heal him if he attempts this kind of thing again.All might trying to find a way for modoriya to use one for all without him having to injure himself

but upon seeing future episodes in the series,this is not the case.As Midoriya just continues to injure himself as he continues to use one for all as recovery girl continues to heal midoriyas injuries over and over.all might doesn't even keep his word about helping midoriya finding to say to not injure himself while using one for all.He just encourages him to keep using it.

So,there was no life lessons learned from this episode from midoriya,recovery girl,all might.Revisiting this episode just makes you realize the contradictions said here.That's not good writing.

I honestly would not mind removing the brutal stakes of deku using one for all which will also removed the forced melodrama associated with it"

I heavily agree with you,op
Apr 11, 2020 11:45 PM

May 2016
Deku and Shigaraki is the main problem in mha.

Both of them are gary-stue tier shit people that don't have any character growth and gain by being bad to the point it makes the viewer look angry
Apr 11, 2020 11:46 PM

May 2016
I don't like Deku that much.
Apr 12, 2020 6:29 AM

Mar 2020
And it took you 4 seasons + 2 OVAs and 2 movies to realize that?
Apr 19, 2020 10:20 AM

Jan 2010
Well, to be fair, goody two shoes in general never really my cup of tea.

Deku isn't too bad though. At least he's smart, hard working, and have flaws that he's working on to fix, give him time (or more like, give Horikoshi chance to actually address it and have Deku learn from his BS). The only problem I have is his ass pull fights. Horikoshi could have made his fights better by:
1. Make him lost spectacularly and have him learn from it, or
2. Have him won by working together like in Stain fight, or
3. Have him won using his brain, like you know, make strategies, like what Bakugou did during their exam against All Might.

His fight with Muscle and Overhaul is the worst.

I'm sorry to bring up KnY but I find Tanjiro to be more bland.

Deku alone won't be able to carry the show, imo.

Thank god there is All Might and Bakugou (and Endeavor).
Apr 21, 2020 3:21 AM

Dec 2017
The problem with most shounen protagonists... they're bland. Most can be summarised as guys who will never give up on their dreams, are happy no matter what, overcome any hardship simply because they are hardworkers who are destined to become the best!

I don't care for Deku, he's as cookie-cutter of a protagonist as it gets. It's been 4 seasons and there's barely been any development on his part, and I don't mean in terms of strength or technique, but as a person. Deku has no depth, he's simply the chosen one.

The episodes that showed him struggling with various things are always the more interesting ones. For example, when he discovered that Mirio was a number one choice for receiving One for All. Mirio has everything Deku does not. That hurts, right? There must be a lot of internal conflict finding out that you were second choice and there are people who don't believe in your potential. We saw that struggle for like, one episode and then Deku becomes BFFs with Mirio.

Then when Mirio and Deku are patrolling the streets and came across Eri but miss out on saving someone who's clearly being abused and we see them being haunted by the opportunity, that was SO interesting because this is something heroes must face very often!! How do they deal with this pain and the ghost of those they couldn't save? But then Deku goes right back to being 'let's do this!' and nothing more.

Interesting characters are made of loss and wins. They have deep flaws which are explored for more than one episode or a quick mention. Over-analysing things isn't that interesting a flaw, especially when it's played off as a joke. Anyway, it's a shounen series and I'm not expecting anything more than this. Well written protagonists like Edward Elric only show up once in a lifetime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 21, 2020 7:55 PM
Oct 2019
CrimsonMidnight said:
I'm sorry to bring up KnY but I find Tanjiro to be more bland.

Deku alone won't be able to carry the show, imo.

Thank god there is All Might and Bakugou (and Endeavor).

HAHA. I like that comparison.

Both Tanjiro and Deku kind of suck, imo. They're just not interesting. And both shows are REALLY boring when the other characters don't have a prominent role in an episode.
Apr 23, 2020 2:36 PM

Jan 2015
Yeah... I dont hate him but its kinda hard to root for him or at least anime is doing a bad job making me do it.

He is soft, awkward, anxious, hesitant but throws big words like "saving everyone" or "become greatest hero" etc. Even when he does something cool I always have the thought in the back of my head that he just gets carried by his OP quirk. Kinda feels like in a way it doesnt suit him to be this strong.

I saw only one episode dedicated to Kirishima and only one dedicated to Mirio and I already grew to like them more than Deku. Isnt this telling something?
Apr 24, 2020 1:44 AM

Apr 2009
No. The problem is the author for introducing a lot of new heroes.
And also villains then killing them as soon as possible.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 24, 2020 1:54 AM

Jul 2013
Let's be honest, your opinion is shit :)

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Apr 27, 2020 1:55 AM

Dec 2017
ezaya said:
No. The problem is the author for introducing a lot of new heroes.
And also villains then killing them as soon as possible.
combi2015 said:
Yeah... I dont hate him but its kinda hard to root for him or at least anime is doing a bad job making me do it.

He is soft, awkward, anxious, hesitant but throws big words like "saving everyone" or "become greatest hero" etc. Even when he does something cool I always have the thought in the back of my head that he just gets carried by his OP quirk. Kinda feels like in a way it doesnt suit him to be this strong.

I saw only one episode dedicated to Kirishima and only one dedicated to Mirio and I already grew to like them more than Deku. Isnt this telling something?

I think both of these are really good points! It feels like Deku is forcefully trying to adapt himself to this power. Which he is. He feels more suited to be a support type, not ~the greatest hero~ and I get that we're supposed to fall for him because he's trying his best to prove to everyone that he is worthy...but let's be real here...

Also having a bland protagonist get drowned by thousands of other characters. More like the author should be saving all that screen time developing Deku.
Apr 27, 2020 2:02 AM

Jul 2019
all the characters are the problem
Apr 27, 2020 8:08 PM

Jul 2017
twoego said:
That's interesting and all, but what's with your profile? What are you doing with the "1" rating on Chihayafuru? Also, I do somewhat agree with the post.
Chihayafuru is pretty boring, but let's not run from the topic at hand.

[edit] just noticed when this thread is from
May 24, 2020 11:06 AM
Apr 2015
Its kinda funny , im the exact opposite of you. Deku is my favorite character and besides a select few, i couldnt give a shit about the rest including Mirio. He does nothing for me. I dont really see why he was so popular. More than Deku ?? Thats laughable. He’ll be stronger than Mirio soon, so it doesnt really matter plus if yoi actually read the manag he is starting to improve those flaws alot
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 4th Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2020

464 by bubba460z »»
Apr 11, 4:28 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 4th Season Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2020

158 by WolfWood37 »»
Apr 1, 9:35 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 4th Season Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2020

233 by WolfWood37 »»
Apr 1, 8:50 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 4th Season Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2020

225 by WolfWood37 »»
Apr 1, 8:27 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 4th Season Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2020

128 by WolfWood37 »»
Mar 31, 9:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.