Forum Settings
Forums

TV Anime 'Great Pretender' Premieres in Summer 2020

New
Jan 23, 2020 10:11 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
The official website of Wit Studio's Great Pretender original anime series revealed the main cast members and a teaser visual (pictured) on Friday. TOHO animation also posted a teaser promotional video, unveiling additional staff. The television anime will premiere on Fuji TV's +Ultra programming block in Summer 2020. Netflix will stream the show exclusively.

Cast
Masato Edamura: Chiaki Kobayashi (Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019))
Rolan Thierry: Junichi Suwabe (No Guns Life)
Abigail Jones: Natsumi Fujiwara (Tokyo Ghoul:re)
Paula Dickins: Mie Sonozaki (Gantz)

Staff
Assistant Director: Ryouji Masuyama (Blend S)
Sub-character Design: Hirotaka Katou (Mahoutsukai no Yome)
Chief Animation Director: Hirotaka Katou, Kyouji Asano (Shingeki no Kyojin)
Art Director: Yuusuke Takeda (Vinland Saga)
Art Setting: Kazushi Fujii (Hoshiai no Sora)
Color Design: Yuuko Kobari (Space Dandy)
Concept Design: Youko Tanji (Ao no Exorcist Movie illustration book)
Director of Photography: Kazuto Izumida (Flip Flappers)
Design Works: Akiyo Okuda (Koi wa Ameagari no You ni animation director), Keita Shimizu (God Eater character design), Shousuke Ishibashi (Youjo Senki chief animation director)
Editing: Daisuke Imai (Houseki no Kuni (TV))
Sound Director: Shouji Hata (ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka)
Music Editor: Kouhei Chida (Kimi no Suizou wo Tabetai music director)

Hiro Kaburagi (91 Days) is directing the anime, with Ryouta Kosawa (Confidence Man JP live-action drama) in charge of the script and series composition. Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (Neon Genesis Evangelion) is designing the characters, and Yutaka Yamada (Tokyo Ghoul) is composing the music. Maiko Okada (Shisha no Teikoku) is serving as the producer.

Teaser PV

Source: Mantan Web
VindstotJan 24, 2020 8:00 AM

Jan 23, 2020 10:40 PM
Feb 2014
Looks great! Already in my PTW and definitely planning to watch it! All those troll votes who gave it low scores should definitely be deleted before it airs, since it's obviously not legitimated votes when this looks like such a solid production and they gave the anime scores before it even aired what the....!!!!
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Jan 23, 2020 10:49 PM

Jan 2009
Attack on Titan final season died for this lol thats why the low score of it at the moment on its MAL page
Jan 23, 2020 10:49 PM

Feb 2018
From Wit Studio with 23 episodes/2 cours for Summer & Fall 2020. then still there is no confirmation for studio of Attack on Titan Season 4 on Fall 2020 too. Even Kyoji Asano, Character Designer and Chief Animation Director (CAD) of Attack on Titan become CAD of this series.
Jan 24, 2020 12:04 AM
Jul 2018
Idk, kinda want to watch it, but at the same time all original anime I saw lately were filled with “woke” cringy elements. Hope that’s not the case, but hey I didn’t expect that from Hoshiai no Sora and it just cringed me out of existence

Guess I’ll give it a try anyway just to be sure
Jan 24, 2020 1:14 AM

Feb 2017
Looks really good. Love the color palette and the background. Sadamoto's designs look good as usual.
Jan 24, 2020 1:51 AM

Dec 2015
Looks interesting, but why is it rated like a 3 haha? Salty SNK fans because WIT is doing this instead perhaps?

Jan 24, 2020 2:45 AM
Oct 2016
So now that this is confirmed can y'all please move it as off from the summer 2019 chart? Should've never been there in the first place but now it can finally be moved.

Also, delete those stupid "scores" that are on it just to bring the show down as low as possible. Like seriously people spamming 1s and 2s on it is dumb why would you let them
Jan 24, 2020 3:45 AM

Sep 2011
Wow, good trailer. The art style reminds me of The Eccentric Family a little bit, though not the mood obviously.

Edit: Ah, that's why. Same Art director. Nice.

"They escaped the weight of darkness,
to forge a path into the marrow of the spirit.
They chose to drown in a deeper vacancy,
an emptiness that quells the null,
a pool for the forgotten..."
Jan 24, 2020 7:45 AM
Dec 2014
Time to move it into the summer 2020 spot then and not summer 2019
Jan 24, 2020 8:00 AM

Dec 2015
Dukino said:
So now that this is confirmed can y'all please move it as off from the summer 2019 chart? Should've never been there in the first place but now it can finally be moved.

Also, delete those stupid "scores" that are on it just to bring the show down as low as possible. Like seriously people spamming 1s and 2s on it is dumb why would you let them

Thats still a very stupid problem MAL simply allows to exist for now. Its embarrassing to think that MAL still hasnt fixed it and yet asks for money for their subscriptions. Another anime is Fall 2019 chart suffers the same problem, its cringy to look at.
Jan 24, 2020 8:31 AM
Apr 2016
Ooooooooh another pretentious take on the western cultures from the maker of 91 Days! Boy I cannot wait to see just how off target they will portray their characters this time. Japanese inserts in anything but the name and the setting.

But I will judge it when it is on.
Robiiii said:
Dukino said:

Thats still a very stupid problem MAL simply allows to exist for now. Its embarrassing to think that MAL still hasnt fixed it and yet asks for money for their subscriptions. Another anime is Fall 2019 chart suffers the same problem, its cringy to look at.

There are... not many things that would not embarrass people here.
Re:formed
Jan 24, 2020 9:32 AM
Aug 2019
Please tell me they didn't sacrifice season 4 of AOT for this. Please. This looks like it's there to pander to Western SJW critics. It gives off some very similar vibes from the trailer
Jan 24, 2020 9:44 AM

Apr 2014
Wharf said:
Please tell me they didn't sacrifice season 4 of AOT for this. Please. This looks like it's there to pander to Western SJW critics. It gives off some very similar vibes from the trailer
As if Attack on Titan didnt pander to the west? Lol

Anyways this looks way better than any season of AOT. Glad they decided to drop that dead weight and move on to more ambitious projects. Keeping the A team hostage for a long running is a mistake. Now if only Bones can drop Boku no Hero.
Jan 24, 2020 9:57 AM
Jan 2018
moodie said:
Wharf said:

Anyways this looks way better than any season of AOT. Glad they decided to drop that dead weight and move on to more ambitious projects. Keeping the A team hostage for a long running is a mistake. Now if only Bones can drop Boku no Hero.

How did AOT pander to the West
Jan 24, 2020 10:13 AM
Jan 2019
So this is what the AOT final season is being sacrificed for. This shit better be really damn good then lol
Jan 24, 2020 10:37 AM

Sep 2011
This looks really fun and colorful, we especially need plenty more original animes out here especially ones that are willing to go 2 cour. I really enjoyed 91 days so the director being the same guy has me more interested.

Also getting upset that the studio is doing something thats not AOT is a really dumb reason to get upset at the show thats not even out.
Xaeveax said:
Wow, good trailer. The art style reminds me of The Eccentric Family a little bit, though not the mood obviously.

Edit: Ah, that's why. Same Art director. Nice.
This has me even more excited then, Eccentric Family is downright gorgeous and has some of the best use of color in the medium.
JizzyHitlerJan 24, 2020 10:41 AM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 24, 2020 11:38 AM

Jan 2009
WIT can still do Attack on Titan final season but with different staff like different animators lol since looks like the big animators and staff of WIT are working on this Great Pretender show instead
Jan 24, 2020 1:09 PM

Mar 2015
I'll look forward to it, since it's rare nowadays, when creators add to anime some extra details, which may (or may not) help the show shine out a little bit more. It's not like modern anime sucks or something, it just majority of anime creators didn't try to leave the safety zone.
Maybe it's nothing more, than beating of the air, but at least i'm looking forward to how they portay diffirent countries in anime.
SoK 4 won't run anywhere. It was already announced, so i don't see the reasons to worry about.
TlahuizcapanteJan 24, 2020 1:40 PM
Jan 24, 2020 1:12 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Oh no, it's happening in modern-day USA and other places outside of Japan? The horror! Must be SJW propaganda, then, can't be anything else like just a fun story that happens outside of Japan.

Seriously guys, are you from the future or something to know what it is exactly? It's just a one minute PV. And come on, it can't hurt to have a few anime from time to time that's not in Japan. Jesus Christ, this forum can be pathetic sometimes.

Also, yeah, I know we have this conversation when Violet Evergarden was placed in Summer 2017 when it was airing in Winter 2018, but this is fucking dumb that you put it in Summer 2019 just because the first two episodes were at Anime Expo. It ruins its chance of hype because it's not going to be on the Summer 2020 page till the anime starts, and it's pretty annoying. Also, that score bombing really needs a fix.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 24, 2020 1:14 PM

Mar 2015
Damn the backgrounds & scenery look gorgeous. Gives me Monogatari vibes at some points.
Jan 24, 2020 1:26 PM

Sep 2011
JizzyHitler said:
This has me even more excited then, Eccentric Family is downright gorgeous and has some of the best use of color in the medium.

Yeah, the art in that show was fantastic. It's mainly the backgrounds that look similar, but they still have their own distinct flair here. It almost looks even more colorful in this one, not as pastel maybe?

"They escaped the weight of darkness,
to forge a path into the marrow of the spirit.
They chose to drown in a deeper vacancy,
an emptiness that quells the null,
a pool for the forgotten..."
Jan 24, 2020 1:34 PM

Sep 2011
Xaeveax said:
JizzyHitler said:

Yeah, the art in that show was fantastic. It's mainly the backgrounds that look similar, but they still have their own distinct flair here. It almost looks even more colorful in this one, not as pastel maybe?
The colors in this one definitely look alot more warm and saturated, but to be fair eccentric family also got to those levels to depending on the scenes. I think its just more the series was generally pretty nostalgic and softly melancholy so the colors generally match the tone of the moment. A very underappreciated aspect of a series like that and something that could go a very long way for this series if it finds similar success.

Fuck I wish more people would watch that series, its one of the most heartwarming series out there. I actually think i prefer it a bit to the authors(of the source not the anime itself) other work tatami galaxy

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 24, 2020 10:37 PM

Dec 2018
Jazzy OST, colourful art & 91 Days Director. I'll look forward to it.
Jan 25, 2020 5:19 AM

Oct 2015
This looks really good.

Latest Blog: BLARE FEST 2023
Latest Review: Hyouka

Jan 25, 2020 6:14 AM

Sep 2018
Wharf said:

>2020
>still saying "SJW"

You're a salty fanboy and I hope S4 gets picked up by Studio Deen so you get mad.
Jan 25, 2020 10:12 AM

Oct 2017
Now that's a good bunch of cast and staff if I've ever seen any!
Jan 25, 2020 10:20 AM
Jul 2018
I recently watched the anime "Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai", Yes, I'm late. But, I thought after having noted it (9), that I would like the same kind but with a little brother and a big sister. Can someone tell me the name of such an anime? :wesmart: Its for a friend .
Jan 25, 2020 11:25 AM
Aug 2019
PhantomTom said:
Wharf said:

>2020
>still saying "SJW"

You're a salty fanboy and I hope S4 gets picked up by Studio Deen so you get mad.

> 2020
> SJWs still exist
If there weren't any, the word would not be used. stop reddit posting on MAL, troll.
Jan 25, 2020 1:13 PM
Jan 2019
moodie said:
Wharf said:

"More ambitious" this looks like everything I've watched that isn't anime lmao
Jan 25, 2020 1:35 PM

Sep 2018
Wharf said:
PhantomTom said:

>2020
>still saying "SJW"

> 2020
> SJWs still exist
If there weren't any, the word would not be used. stop reddit posting on MAL, troll.

So angry that the staff got bored of AoT and decided to do something else that he immediately jumps to ~le SJW boogeyman just because the show is set in America and theres one (1) black character in it.

And I'm the troll. You're a funny guy.
Jan 25, 2020 2:02 PM

Sep 2018
Wharf said:
PhantomTom said:

So angry that the staff got bored of AoT and decided to do something else that he immediately jumps to ~le SJW boogeyman just because the show is set in America and theres one (1) black character in it.

And I'm the troll. You're a funny guy.

not a bogeyman if it's true, troll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnMY3OlXv7g
lmao some random troll on MAL totally knows about how they feel.

LMAO Care to explain to me exactly how Great Pretenders is SJW? There's a single PV out, and the only hate it's getting is from assblasted AoT fans who are unironically review bombing it like a bunch of manchildren because some AoT staff members are attached to it.

And again, I'm the troll. My sides.
Jan 25, 2020 3:40 PM

Sep 2018
Wharf said:
PhantomTom said:

LMAO Care to explain to me exactly how Great Pretenders is SJW? There's a single PV out, and the only hate it's getting is from assblasted AoT fans who are unironically review bombing it like a bunch of manchildren because some AoT staff members are attached to it.

Imagine getting triggered by ratings on flipping myanimelist lmao. Is that seriously what you brought up? california setting, characters, theme, etc
yes you are the troll. Acceptance is the first step towards rehabilitation after all.

You are retarded. Seek help.
Jan 25, 2020 11:43 PM

Feb 2018
PhantomTom said:
Wharf said:

not a bogeyman if it's true, troll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnMY3OlXv7g
lmao some random troll on MAL totally knows about how they feel.

I went till october of 2019 and I found that -
Only 4 accounts that have given it a low rating who have given AoT a higher rating and around 30-40 bot accounts who have given every AoT season and Great Pretender a 1.

Do some research before stating something, otherwise, you look like an idiot.
Jan 26, 2020 1:46 AM

Jul 2012
showed up to have a giggle at the keyboard warriors in this thread, but actually intrigued by the PV so i'll be sliding this into my ptw list
Jan 26, 2020 2:20 AM

Feb 2018
deg said:
WIT can still do Attack on Titan final season but with different staff like different animators lol since looks like the big animators and staff of WIT are working on this Great Pretender show instead

The you realize that staff and animators is more important than the studio itself. Like how OPM season 1 was mostly animated by freelance animators instead of Madhouse's one, even Saitama vs Boros was animated by Yutaka Nakamura, Bones's animator
Jan 26, 2020 2:44 AM
Sep 2017
Paula and rolan : Nana shimura x eraserhead in bnha, aka grimmjow x sode no shirayuki in bleach.
Rolan and abigail aka leone and young giorno in golden wind
Jan 26, 2020 3:00 AM

Jan 2009
gadboyz said:
deg said:

The you realize that staff and animators is more important than the studio itself. Like how OPM season 1 was mostly animated by freelance animators instead of Madhouse's one, even Saitama vs Boros was animated by Yutaka Nakamura, Bones's animator

yep i know talent > time too when it comes to anime production

i never meant to say that only the studio name matters here
Jan 28, 2020 1:40 PM
Jul 2015
THIS IS SOME FAGGOT ASS COVER ART.SOME MADHOUSE GAMBLING BEBOP DEAD BEAT CHARACTER DESIGNER EVANGELION SHIT GARBAGE SHOW. I don't care about the narrative. You always have to present the show well
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 28, 2020 3:06 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
It's not pulling my interest, but I like the atmosphere built from the trailer. Hope the show's soundtrack is like the trailer.
Also, why the low rating? I highly doubt most of the people who rated it even watched the first episode which premiered at a specific event. Seriously, everything I'm seeing sounds like total misinformation or typical petty BS so I'd appreciate to hear some reasoning, if you don't mind.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 28, 2020 3:28 PM
Sep 2018
Is that Asta I hear?
Feb 8, 2020 7:57 PM
Mar 2018
Y’all are worried that AOT is gonna tank cus of this show but didn’t Vinland and AOT S3 Part 2 come out in the same year? And didn’t they both do amazing???
Feb 14, 2020 7:37 PM

Jul 2015
Great trailer, I'll definitely check this one out when it starts airing.
Feb 15, 2020 6:43 AM

Oct 2016
This looks crisp and clear, don't know why people are nick picking all the sudden, I think it'll be decent it as worst and very good at it's best.
Mar 3, 2020 3:46 AM
Dec 2016
Yusof Ishak made it to anime lol
Mar 6, 2020 6:56 PM
Feb 2015
God some of y'all really make me understand why people think anime fans are trash 😩

Anyway, it looks interesting from the PV at least
May 29, 2020 3:40 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
From July 8th (24:55) on Japanese televisions and June 2nd on Netflix.

https://twitter.com/GrePre_anime/status/1266318051932160000
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

More topics from this board

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

23 by 3inPunisher »»
2 hours ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Today

10 by DylanVSAnimez »»
4 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - 9 hours ago

3 by eli_shmeli »»
8 hours ago

» 'Katsute Mahou Shoujo to Aku wa Tekitai shiteita.' Reveals Additional Cast, Second Promo

Doshigatai - Today

3 by JehadKun »»
Today, 8:26 AM

» 'T.P BON' Reveals Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

2 by EcchiGodMamster »»
Today, 7:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.