Forum Settings
Forums

Character designs that put you off from checking the show?

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 22, 2020 7:10 AM

Nov 2016
Wierdly enough the clamp art design in code geass I just wasn't a fan of those slender characters

It's wierd because since then it became one of my favourite especially after watching and now reading xxxholic manga which I just find beautiful
Jan 22, 2020 7:27 AM

Dec 2019
Fairy Tail. I feel like everyone kinda looks the same tbh :/
Jan 22, 2020 9:14 AM

Nov 2008
touma765 said:
All these normies complaining about Clannad.
Give me a break.
Did you even watch anything <2010?
It reminds me normies in 90s complaining about "WHY CHINESE CARTOONS HAVE BIG EYES REEEEEEEEEEE"
Personally I find Clannad character design great, because I love character design from 00s.

I KNOW RIGHT!! 00s anime are GREAT!! I fell in love with Misuzu's design so much; I was buying merch from Air before even knowing what it was; it was just adorable so I wanted it. xD

Jan 22, 2020 9:26 AM

Aug 2011
There are definitely character designs that I find more appealing than others, but I can't think of a single time that the character designs actually made me not check out an anime I was otherwise interested in. I've watched plenty of anime with character designs that I found ugly or unappealing in some other way, but they're easy enough to ignore if I enjoy other things about an anime. Character designs I like are definitely a plus, though.
Jan 22, 2020 9:39 AM
Oct 2012
I didn't even bother with Higurashi, every character looks like it has a rare type of disease
Jan 24, 2020 6:08 AM

Nov 2019
sorry if my English is a bit off, it isn't my first language

Nanbaka's character designs are absolutely horrendous and i hate them with every fiber of my being, i don't care if its a part of the aesthetic, the characters themselves are over-designed and they look like they were coloured by a 4 year old, that goes for the entire show of course, it looks likes over saturated madness that hurt my brain everytime i look at it, a show like Space☆Dandy i feel as though does it right.

I dropped diabolic lovers for many reasons but i just wanted to mention the awful colour design of the characters, apart from *maybe* kanato. the fades in the hair look terrible and they all have the exact same head size/ shape apart from kanato and MC, i don't know about its source material but the anime sure doesn't look great in terms of character design.

this is all my opinion ofc.
misato > asuka > rei
Jan 24, 2020 6:18 AM

Jul 2016
touma765 said:
Give me a break.
It reminds me normies in 90s complaining about "WHY CHINESE CARTOONS HAVE BIG EYES REEEEEEEEEEE"
Personally I find Clannad character design great, because I love character design from 00s.
RealTheAbsurdist said:
The characters in Clannad look like standard anime characters, so I don't understand your viewpoint.

Right?
It's like a meme repeated to the death.

I personally don't get it.The artstyle being offputting wasn't exactly something that crossed my mind when watching it,so i don't know why so many people take issue with it.I know that modern anime doesn't have those type of bug eyes anymore,so many people could be bothered because they aren't used to that kind of artstyle but it didn't detract from my experience watching the anime.It's not like i have even seen that many people complain about the artstyle at the time so is that why its suddenly coming up now?
SummerynJan 24, 2020 6:23 AM
Jan 24, 2020 10:26 AM

Mar 2015
I'm sorry but I think Gon from HxH is incredibly ugly. Idk what it is but I refuse to look at him for 100+ episodes.

Jan 24, 2020 10:29 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
touma765 said:
Give me a break.
RealTheAbsurdist said:
The characters in Clannad look like standard anime characters, so I don't understand your viewpoint.

Right?
It's like a meme repeated to the death.

I do watch anime made before 2010 and I can say that Clannad's artstyle looks like absolute dogshit compared to other 00s anime.
Jan 24, 2020 10:35 AM

Nov 2019
Mirai said:
I'm sorry but I think Gon from HxH is incredibly ugly. Idk what it is but I refuse to look at him for 100+ episodes.

I was gonna say something but now that i look at it i kinda agree, i mean he's not the worse looking character but the 2011 version especially emphasizes on his gelled palm tree hair and bow shaped eyebrows so uh, yeah maybe.
misato > asuka > rei
Jan 24, 2020 12:52 PM

Sep 2018
I kind of want to watch Higurashi, but yeah........
Jan 24, 2020 1:21 PM

Jul 2016
-Seiya- said:
Mirai said:

I was gonna say something but now that i look at it i kinda agree, i mean he's not the worse looking character but the 2011 version especially emphasizes on his gelled palm tree hair and bow shaped eyebrows so uh, yeah maybe.

Lol i would have never noticed that if i didn´t see the comparison between the 2011 version and the 1999 version.I guess such small details don´t jump out to me as much,since i´m so accostumed to the use of exaggeration in anime,that it didn´t even dawn on me the fact that he had clearly massive hair along with his goofy ass eyebrows.
Jan 24, 2020 1:43 PM
Feb 2014
Nanatsu no Taizai(Because the artstyle remainded me of Dragon Ball and i don't like that art style anymore, but now i won't watch it for other reasons as well, such as the MC being a pervert who constantly grops the main girl's breasts, also i think i saw it had gore? as well and that's a no go for me.)

Yuri!!! on Ice(I know i'm in the minority here, but i found the guys unattractive and plain looking, plus i'm not into sports and good thing i didn't because i later found out that it's actually a shounen-ai anime, and i would never, ever watch any Shounen-Ai/Yaoi/BL!!!!)

One Piece(Honestly tried it, but, no, the art style is just too horrible, i can't stand looking at them for 900+ episodes!)

MÄR
The spiky hair puts me off, why do two of the main character's have to have uber exaggerated spiky hair, lol.

Ueki no Housoku
It's not that bad, but still not really appealing to me, so i haven't added it to my PTW yet.

Toriko
Ugh bara main characters, no thank you! I do NOT find ridiculously muscular guys attractive at all!

Konjiki no Gash Bell!!
I don't know why, but this remainds me of One Piece soo....

Kabukichou Sherlock
Would have maybe given it a chance if it wasn't for the art style, ugh those square jaws!!!

ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka
Even though it's not extremely different, i don't know, something puts me off.

Kekkai Sensen
This actually seems like something i'd really like as it gives me Bungou Stray Dogs vibes, but the art style is not even nearly as attractive as in Bungou, so i've been hesitating.

Ore Monogatari!!
I just sincerely don't like the look of the main guy at all, and if i hate a character's look, i certainly don't want to see them in any romantic or worse situations, ugh!

3-gatsu no Lion
I know it's by the maker of Honey and Clover, but i didn't really like the art style for it either, especially for the guys, so....

Nodame Cantabile
Another Anime where i don't really like the art style, i mean besides hearing that the guy is a violent tsundere....

Nanbaka
This anime give me fujo bait vibes, i mean, why else would they have all those shiny, bright neon colors for the character's hair styles?

A lot of old anime, especially of the shounen and kodomo variety.

I think that's everything off the top of my head, but i'm sure i'm still missing more....

Of course, then there's atrocious shit that i wouldn't ever even consider because of how horrible and nasty the art style looks such as Aku no Hana and Ping Pong The Animation, Chibii is absolutely right about the characters being hideously gross nightmare fuel and i don't plan on having those images stick in my mind!!!
DauphineJan 24, 2020 2:00 PM
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Jan 24, 2020 2:25 PM

Jul 2016
Dauphine said:
Nanatsu no Taizai(Because the artstyle remainded me of Dragon Ball and i don't like that art style anymore, but now i won't watch it for other reasons as well, such as the MC being a pervert who constantly grops the main girl's breasts, also i think i saw it had gore? as well and that's a no go for me.)

Yuri!!! on Ice(I know i'm in the minority here, but i found the guys unattractive and plain looking, plus i'm not into sports and good thing i didn't because i later found out that it's actually a shounen-ai anime, and i would never, ever watch any Shounen-Ai/Yaoi/BL!!!!)

One Piece(Honestly tried it, but, no, the art style is just too horrible, i can't stand looking at them for 900+ episodes!)

MÄR
The spiky hair puts me off, why do two of the main character's have to have uber exaggerated spiky hair, lol.

Ueki no Housoku
It's not that bad, but still not really appealing to me, so i haven't added it to my PTW yet.

Toriko
Ugh bara main characters, no thank you! I do NOT find ridiculously muscular guys attractive at all!

Konjiki no Gash Bell!!

Kabukichou Sherlock
Would have maybe given it a chance if it wasn't for the art style, ugh those square jaws!!!

Kekkai Sensen
This actually seems like something i'd really like as it gives me Bungou Stray Dogs vibes, but the art style is not even nearly as attractive as in Bungou, so i've been hesitating.

Ore Monogatari!!
I just sincerely don't like the look of the main guy at all, and if i hate a character's look, i certainly don't want to see them in any romantic or worse situations, ugh!

3-gatsu no Lion
I know it's by the maker of Honey and Clover, but i didn't really like the art style for it either, especially for the guys, so....

Nodame Cantabile
Another Anime where i don't really like the art style, i mean besides hearing that the guy is a violent tsundere....

Nanbaka
This anime give me fujo bait vibes, i mean, why else would they have all those shiny, bright neon colors for the character's hair styles?

I think that's everything off the top of my head, but i'm sure i'm still missing more....

Of course, then there's atrocious shit that i wouldn't ever even consider because of how horrible and nasty the art style looks such as Aku no Hana and Ping Pong The Animation, Chibii is absolutely right about the characters being hideously gross nightmare fuel and i don't plan on having those images stick in my mind!!!

Man you are picky,judging by the amount of anime you would willingly avoid just because of the artsyle.....
Jan 24, 2020 3:06 PM
Feb 2014
Missaliensan said:
Dauphine said:

MÄR

Ueki no Housoku

Toriko

Konjiki no Gash Bell!!

Kabukichou Sherlock

Kekkai Sensen

Ore Monogatari!!

3-gatsu no Lion

Nodame Cantabile

Nanbaka

Man you are picky,judging by the amount of anime you would willingly avoid just because of the artsyle.....

Yeah, i admit, but i might be willing to give some of them a chance, though. like Kekkai Sensen and Ueki no Housoku, though i prefer to prioritize anime with art styles i know i'll like first and foremost.
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Jan 24, 2020 9:26 PM

Nov 2019
Dauphine said:

Nanbaka

It does give me fujo-bait vibes; I'm pretty sure the main cast, or the whole cast even is just those eye bleeding neon flamboyant 'pretty' boys, quotations on pretty because they look awful.
misato > asuka > rei
Jan 24, 2020 9:54 PM

Jul 2007
Beastars. I don't care how good the writing is, that level of fur-bait is just wack.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jan 24, 2020 10:42 PM

Dec 2016
Ping Pong. I believe all those who say the show excels in the narrative and character aspects, but I'm sorry, all of that to me is useless when the character designs are just so ugly to look at. To me no matter how good the substance may be, if the style is just so unpleasant, I just won't eat it...

JoJo for the same reasons. I love shounens, but this one in particular, I think I won't ever bother trying. So weirdo.
Jan 24, 2020 11:19 PM
Aug 2011
Ferien said:
JoJo for the same reasons. I love shounens, but this one in particular, I think I won't ever bother trying. So weirdo.

That's great. We wouldn't want you anywhere near the inevitable Stone Ocean or Steel Ball Run discussions anyway.
Jan 24, 2020 11:33 PM

Nov 2007
Hunter x Hunter. Looks like it will contain pedophelia. I could be wrong though. :/
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 25, 2020 1:43 AM

Jul 2016
shanimebib said:
Hunter x Hunter. Looks like it will contain pedophelia. I could be wrong though. :/

No it has nothing to with that.It’s just that Hisoka gets really aroused by power.it’s more so that he loves the job of hunting people,and he looks at Gon as prey.So he orgasms every time he sees him untap his hidden potential and become stronger.
Jan 25, 2020 4:58 AM

Dec 2015
None. Akira used to be the one but I've gotten used to 80's artstyles and it actually became one of my favorites. The only anime I really don't like the artstyle from is xxxHolic but I think that's just a bad adaptation because the manga looks pretty good.
Jan 25, 2020 5:07 AM

Jul 2015
Kaiji.
One part that I like about anime is the art and Kaiji is just waaay too different in that aspect. It's not that thats a reason for me to completely disregard it, but theres just so much other shows to watch that I dont feel any pressure to make a gamble on something I dont visually enjoy.
If I watch a shitty CGDCT, at the very least I still enjoyed what I saw
It's okay to smirk

Jan 25, 2020 7:52 AM

Feb 2019
Jojo's Bizzare Adventure. I know everyone says it's amazing but the art is just a no from me

N͓̽o͓̽ ͓̽J͓̽u͓̽s͓̽t͓̽i͓̽c͓̽e͓̽.͓̽ ͓̽N͓̽o͓̽ ͓̽P͓̽e͓̽a͓̽c͓̽e͓̽.͓̽

Jan 27, 2020 7:51 AM

Oct 2019
I so badly want to watch clannad but the artstyle makes them look like aliens, so much so that I can't take the show seriously.
Jan 27, 2020 8:02 AM
Oct 2018
Yu-Gi-Oh VRAINS

The Character designs are just so stale and lifeless, its so bad compared to other YGO series' like 5Ds which (IMHO) has one of the best CD's ever
Jan 27, 2020 8:56 AM
Dec 2019
EndlessMaria said:
Beastars. I don't care how good the writing is, that level of fur-bait is just wack.

We found it bois, another to the list of people that think is just furry bait
Jan 27, 2020 10:06 PM
Mar 2018
Missaliensan said:
shanimebib said:

No it has nothing to with that.It’s just that Hisoka gets really aroused by power.it’s more so that he loves the job of hunting people,and he looks at Gon as prey.So he orgasms every time he sees him untap his hidden potential and become stronger.

And what about that time he was looking excitedly at Killua and Gon's... you know... in the "Greed Island" arc?
Jan 27, 2020 10:56 PM

Jan 2010
Mirai said:

Agreed lmao. Literally the only reason keeping me from watching it.
Jan 27, 2020 11:12 PM
Jul 2018
One Pee‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎ ‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎
Jan 28, 2020 3:25 AM

Aug 2019
Mob Psycho and Clannad.

Glad I powered through both though.
Jan 28, 2020 12:43 PM

Jun 2011
I'm hearing kaiji a lot just from the quick glance I did, yes the nose is a little annoying but its amazing.
other than the old ones mine was accelerated world, dropped it for a lame MC who became overpowered and not the design I think, having an overweight MC is a pretty rare sight, the one that comes to mind that I liked is "to be hero"
Jan 28, 2020 1:55 PM

Aug 2010
removed-user said:

Another one is Kaiji. Their noses can literally cut through diamonds if they tried.

What are your examples?

Dude if you watch Kaiji, the art makes sense.
If the art was more standard, kaiji as a show might fall apart. The show is mostly narration- but the wonky visuals and dope soundtrack make it all fit together so nicely into a great show.

The art in dorohedoro this season throws me off, but i'm still watching it
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jan 28, 2020 2:58 PM

Dec 2016
i put off Jojo and Mob Psycho for so long because of the art style but oh how wrong i was.... i absolutely love both shows and their art style now lol :)

Code Geass, Kaiji, and One Piece have the weird ass proportions that i just can't vibe with, but for the latter two even tho it's not my thing i can understand and appreciate how the wacky cartoony art style is perfect for the shows' presentation and they wouldn't be the same without it.... but for CG i just can't it just creeps me out lmao i feel physically repulsed looking at most of the characters
Jan 28, 2020 4:16 PM
Jul 2015
Lucky Star and Nichijou. I try to force myself trought the first episodes but in the end i drop them.
Jan 28, 2020 4:23 PM

May 2016
weiss said:
main character with huge breasts, that's a no go

this or if the main protag looks like Kiritob with a different paint job
Jan 28, 2020 4:27 PM

Jan 2018
Tbh, mainly just overly generic designs that feel like they've been copy-pasted from every other anime ever. The most recent case of this happening was when I was recommended Kanata no Astra last season. I took one look at the cast, cringed, and lost all interest.

On the flip side, I'm really drawn to unique and creative designs. Nakamura is currently my favorite character designer and I really wish he'd get more opportunities to showcase his work in the anime world (his only two projects to date are The Tatami Galaxy and Night is Short, Walk on Girl).

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Jan 28, 2020 8:16 PM

Jun 2015
the only anime I dropped, bcz I just couldnt stand how ugly those shits were is 7 sins
Jan 28, 2020 8:22 PM

May 2016
Chiibi said:
touma765 said:
Give me a break.

I KNOW RIGHT!! 00s anime are GREAT!! I fell in love with Misuzu's design so much; I was buying merch from Air before even knowing what it was; it was just adorable so I wanted it. xD

I generally like Clannad's art style, except for one thing: The female characters' mouths are almost always WAY too close to their noses. It's really distracting sometimes.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jan 28, 2020 8:58 PM

Nov 2008
Zelkiiro said:
Chiibi said:

I generally like Clannad's art style, except for one thing: The female characters' mouths are almost always WAY too close to their noses. It's really distracting sometimes.

Their noses also appear too close to their eyes...but it was just something I quickly got used to...probably after ten minutes in.

With Air, anyway. Everything in the first episode is just so charming that it couldn't bother me. xD

Jan 29, 2020 9:10 AM

Apr 2010
I cant watch and I wont One Piece because of how they all look like...
Jan 29, 2020 11:52 PM

Jul 2007
iyokorke said:
EndlessMaria said:

Right. My bad. It's not fur bait. It's full on furfaggotry.
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jan 30, 2020 7:06 AM
Dec 2019
EndlessMaria said:
iyokorke said:

Yeah just searched that term and i can say that its no furfaggotry, i find it quite dumb to not check a good story just because "its for furries haha" when it isn’t even for furries.
Jan 30, 2020 7:57 AM

Jul 2007
iyokorke said:
EndlessMaria said:

Yeah just searched that term and i can say that its no furfaggotry, i find it quite dumb to not check a good story just because "its for furries haha" when it isn’t even for furries.

Okay. I still wont watch an anime about ugly characters, which Beastars certainly has in my opinion. I find anthropomorphic animals to be uncanny valley nightmare fuel, especially when they try to imitate human expressions and emotions.
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jan 30, 2020 11:14 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Chiibi said:
Zelkiiro said:

Their noses also appear too close to their eyes...but it was just something I quickly got used to...probably after ten minutes in.

With Air, anyway. Everything in the first episode is just so charming that it couldn't bother me. xD

"Did you watch any anime made before 2010"

yes I do and it still looks like crap compared to many other 00s anime.
Jan 30, 2020 11:24 AM

Aug 2016
female design from Dr. Stone, holy looks like Kanon 2002.
Jan 30, 2020 11:48 AM

Mar 2016
OnionKnightRises said:
. Aside from Code Geass I have hated every single anime CLAMP has been involved in that I have seen (I hate Gundam Seed with a passion)

Um, I don't particularly like CLAMP and I have never seen Seed but you're just shitting on Hirai without realizing it.
Jan 30, 2020 12:19 PM

Aug 2016
Only a lack of style can make me dissapointed.
Bland, uninspired and overall uninteresting style indicates a lack of passion or just plain bad art direction.

The style should compliment the tone and the characters of the anime so as long as these are fulfilled It shouldn't matter what style the anime is being made in.

Artstyle shouldn't turn off anyone anyway because a skilled artist will always make aesthetically pleasing or engaging pieces regardless of the artstyle.
Jan 30, 2020 2:32 PM
Jan 2012
syncrogazer said:
OnionKnightRises said:
. Aside from Code Geass I have hated every single anime CLAMP has been involved in that I have seen (I hate Gundam Seed with a passion)

Um, I don't particularly like CLAMP and I have never seen Seed but you're just shitting on Hirai without realizing it.

Oh I thought Gundam Seed was CLAMP, those faces really looked like CLAMP to me way back when I watched it. Guess my distaste for that show is separate from my distaste of CLAMP.

Also, yeah that's my bad, didn't mean to shit on Hirai. I actually liked s.CRY.ed's character designs, the eyes in Seed were just too big and shiny...
Jan 30, 2020 2:45 PM

Mar 2016
OnionKnightRises said:
Oh I thought Gundam Seed was CLAMP, those faces really looked like CLAMP to me way back when I watched it.

I can sort of see it.

But Hirai gets a lot of shit for 'same face.' I think he draws some smoking hot girls myself.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

189 by PurplePants »»
4 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 39 minutes ago

7 by 18927 »»
7 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9069 by anime-prime »»
7 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

36 by EastIndiaCompany »»
10 minutes ago

» What is the most upset you have ever been by a spoiler? ( 1 2 )

nowandforever - Jul 5, 2021

73 by Jorkka1234 »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.