Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 19, 2020 1:33 PM

Dec 2014
I didn't think much of the show overall but I loved it's conclusion.
Jan 19, 2020 1:45 PM
Jan 2020
[quote=Shutos message=58988597]
Nillwas said:

...I hate JoJo, I think it's something of the most awful thing in this ficition and it's still a pretty popular show...

I see, you don't like JoJo... so you have chosen death, right?
Jan 19, 2020 1:46 PM

Dec 2018
AstralBread said:
Shutos said:
So, it seems like people who generally like good anime pretty consistently also enjoy Code Geass as well and praise its quality.

No one with a lick of taste could like Code Geass, it's an anime equivalent of Michael Bay films, it's just a show many have seen as 14 y. o. with <10 series watched so they keep their nostalgia goggles. Maybe you have the wrong idea about what is actually "good anime" in a first place.
considering i dont like code geass and i can very clearly articulate why i like what i like id say that isnt the case
Jan 19, 2020 1:49 PM

Aug 2018
The diallogue can be a bit dumb sometimes, but I don't think that the show is full of cliches. The plot is pretty good and the characters are good enough to "not ruin" the plot. Animation, art and soundtrack are great too. The weakest part of the show are the characters, and still they are better than most shows. That is why the show is generaly well recieved.

And last, basically any show with good art and animation can become mainstream, just look how many people think that Violet evergarden is a masterpiece despite having no plot, characters and no world building.
Jan 19, 2020 1:49 PM

Dec 2015
[quote=vslameiras message=58990066]
Shutos said:
Nillwas said:

...I hate JoJo, I think it's something of the most awful thing in this ficition and it's still a pretty popular show...

I see, you don't like JoJo... so you have chosen death, right?

It's better to cut my balls off then watching that trash 🤔

Jan 19, 2020 1:52 PM

Aug 2018
alshu said:
"Why do people like Code Geass?"

It's a high school melodrama with a lot of absurd twists and edgy MCs.
Tons of deus ex machinas and diabolus ex machinas.
People adore such cheesy things.

I hate it with passion. There was a way way complex and better mecha from the same studio that aired around that time - Gundam 00...it was widely ignored because of "I don't like mecha because it's dumb but Code Geass is the exception and it's pretty decent."
Sadly, the anime comunity in the west hates mecha... I've seen a lot of "it's boring because all the shows are the same, the better robot wins" despite being a genre that generally has a lot of other stuff going on.
Jan 19, 2020 1:53 PM

Dec 2018
DaCraziGuy said:
alshu said:
"Why do people like Code Geass?"

It's a high school melodrama with a lot of absurd twists and edgy MCs.
Tons of deus ex machinas and diabolus ex machinas.
People adore such cheesy things.

I hate it with passion. There was a way way complex and better mecha from the same studio that aired around that time - Gundam 00...it was widely ignored because of "I don't like mecha because it's dumb but Code Geass is the exception and it's pretty decent."
Sadly, the anime comunity in the west hates mecha... I've seen a lot of "it's boring because all the shows are the same, the better robot wins" despite being a genre that generally has a lot of other stuff going on.
on that note im just waiting to watch gunbuster and diebuster
Jan 19, 2020 2:00 PM

Apr 2015
Its hasn't aged that well. But one of the reasons that it seems like it has all been done before is because so many recent anime have copied it. Some have executed its ideas better, some worse. But its influence on the anime industry is unmistakable.

Its similar to Haruhi; if you go back and watch it now, you may not realize why so many people loved it when it came out, as now all of its ideas have been recycled over and over again
Jan 19, 2020 2:02 PM

May 2019
Small waists Big tits, whats not to like

and it had a memorable ending that made everyone forget half the nonsense.
Jan 19, 2020 2:04 PM

Dec 2018
I mean it really just boils down to your taste. Just because majority of people like it doesn’t mean you have to like it too. I personally really enjoyed Code Geass when I first watched it but as I started noticing all the plot holes and inconsistencies, I started to lower my score of it. I think it might be a little overrated but I can still say that I enjoyed it.
Meow meow meow meow and meow shogi, meow meow meow meow and meow shogi.

Taking one step a time, I work and try my best.
Though I'm the weakest of the bunch,
Expect from me a good paw punch!
Meow meow pawn, meow shogi.

Jan 19, 2020 2:04 PM

Feb 2019
It was one of my first animes. I was looking for something similiar to Death Note and I found Code Geass . I loved it. It was something fresh for me. The mc was smart. He had his motivations, goals and interesting backstory. The world was colorful with that edge ofc. Plot progressed pretty fast. It also had some rememberable moments.

If I would watch it now, I would like it less. It's not perfect, but for my 14 old ass. It was a blast.
Jan 19, 2020 2:05 PM

Oct 2018
@Nillwas I didn't even watch the show but I will call it trash what kinda mindset is that? Literally no one cares about fandom but you should give a chance since it's pretty good and literally no one calls something trash without watching so you seems like a troll to me or you take fandom behavior really seriously.
Ri22rkJan 19, 2020 2:10 PM
Jan 19, 2020 2:12 PM

Dec 2015
Oof.
@ExodiaX, next time check people's list before making a false statement like this again.

And don't really know where you got this. " I have never watch it" from.
NillwasJan 19, 2020 2:16 PM

Jan 19, 2020 2:22 PM

Oct 2013
Don't trust MAL ratings, people are dumb.
Jan 19, 2020 2:26 PM

Oct 2018
Nillwas said:
Oof.
@ExodiaX, next time check people's list before making a false statement like this again.

And don't really know where you got this. " I have never watch it" from.
yeah, I scrolled it and wasn't able to find it but after checking out again you have watched season 1, I know it's your opinion but part 1 was always the weakest one so calling that trash is acceptable. But you should give other parts chance in future since they're way different from first two and maybe your opinion will change a little? Either way sorry for jumping on the concussion and you can hate and like whatever you want since everything is subjective and forcing yourself to watch something you don't like is not okay.
Ri22rkJan 19, 2020 2:43 PM
Jan 19, 2020 2:51 PM
Jul 2018
I guess it is because of how it made mecha more enjoyable even to those who aren't necessarily into the genre.
As someone who really loves this show, it isn't really easy for me to explain why I love it. I'll try and do my best to do so:
Lelouch. Does he deserve to be the best character in MAL? Not really. But a lot of people really connected with him as well as the other characters like CC. Lulu was intelligent, motivating and at times caring for his imouto. But at the same time has had his hard times.
Plot twists. While not always great can make us want to know what happens next.
There's also lots of action, lots of drama, some comedy, some romance in some motherf**king highschool and of course, a perfect ending.
Jan 19, 2020 3:59 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Nefelupitou said:
ACasualViewer said:
Lelouch is the coolest anime protagonist.

If Lelouch is the coolest, I don't want to see the lamest one.

Check out the MC of children of the whales or the MC of rifle is beautiful for the truly most boring protagonists in anime.
Jan 19, 2020 6:29 PM

Jun 2012
Fast moving plot with lots of twists, fun characters, Lelouch keeping his identity a secret is tense, Suzaku and Lelouch have a good dynamic, Lelouch's power is pure wish fulfilment. It is very loosely written and shlocky but a lot of fun. The only writing moment that stands out to me as godawful is that scene:
It's an example of something being plot driven as opposed to character driven, and comes off as very contrived - it sticks out like a sore thumb but I can give it a pass because the Princess Massacre scenes are awesome.
Haunt-botJan 19, 2020 6:36 PM
Shoot first, think never.
Jan 19, 2020 6:34 PM

Oct 2017
Serious: why do people keep making these threads?
Jan 19, 2020 7:02 PM
Oct 2018
First of all, I'm not an english speaker so maybe there's something wrong.
Well, I'm a big fan of Code Geass and consider it one of the best animes ever, and there are some reasons, being the main one Lelouch character. CG doesn't have stellar secondary characters like Hunter x Hunter and neither a great story development like Berserk, it doesn't have the same realism of Clannad but it have Lelouch. Lelouch is a surprisingly well wroted character that put the whole anime in his shoulders. The fact of watching the main character crying because he's weak or unable to do something, is a thing most of animes don't do because they want they MC to be a god. And in Code Geass he is worried about his decisions, what to do and he is smart but not the way Death Note is. Yeah, he's smart and can predict some of his opponents actions when he created the videos for example. The answers he uses in the videos are made to answer a lot of things the people watching the video could say, and the fact that there's a part when he takes a little bit of time to response shows how he's not a god, that was a fail on his plan. Those little things are gorgeous. And then there's the end. That's the reason about my opinion towards Code Geass. Code Geass may not be perfect but his ending indeed is, and that is what you keep when you finish the series, the last moments which were perfect.
Jan 19, 2020 7:26 PM

Apr 2011
Code Geass is overrated? Tell me something new.
Jan 19, 2020 7:30 PM

Dec 2018
-SP- said:
for interesting and entertaining discussion, not my fault so many people cry about other's opinions
Jan 19, 2020 7:30 PM

Jul 2007
The art style in Code Geass looks so obnoxious. I don't know how anyone can take the show seriously.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jan 19, 2020 7:48 PM

Dec 2017
my friend always pestering me to watch Code Geass, said that Lelouch is the best character ever. i’d already heard about their famous l o n g CLAMP design, it is pretty distinctive.

i never watch mecha anime before so i’m not really interested, but i just take his word for it. and as my first entry to mecha anime, i really like it. i mean we all know the main attraction is not only all mecha and big boy fight. the beautiful character design for both male and female there that are pleasing to the eyes of some, the cliche highschool drama here and there, the best pizza girl, and the politics and power struggle between faction (like basically any mecha anime i’ve heard). and it holds up pretty well for 13+ y/o original series with a lot of fans from both demographics

and my friends said that Lelouch is like Light Yagami, and fairly yeah. they both idolized and fawn by the girls. and the also a hardheaded cunning handsome boy with big ambition that always prepare to sacrifice everything to get what they want

and also yeah it’s old, so extra point there. some people love praising a classic, i dont know if this consider a classic though. if they decide to make anime with similar l o n g character design again in 2020, im all here for it. it’s good to have variation
InukanuraJan 19, 2020 7:59 PM
Jan 19, 2020 8:02 PM

Oct 2017
Shutos said:
-SP- said:
for interesting and entertaining discussion, not my fault so many people cry about other's opinions

I was being sarcastic, hence why I worded my sentence similarly to the title of this thread...
Jan 19, 2020 10:02 PM

Apr 2019
@Shutos Right. I'm a big fan of it, having 300+ anime's finished with Code Geass as 10.

I watch for entertainment and just enjoy the moment, not thinking too much about anything or too deep like :

2x + y - 3z = 5
-5x + 3y + 2z = 7
3x - 4y + z = 8

Unless it is a major plothole then I would never notice anything wrong. That's why RomCom's are pretty high on my list.
In short, Code Geass is pretty enjoyable for people who enjoy straight to the point, no-bullshit plots with perfectly executed dramas

Jan 19, 2020 10:07 PM

Dec 2018
Awoot said:
Not exactly a fan but I thought season 1 as fun in a really dumb way while season 2 was so dumb it was bad. Characters are really mediocre throughout the entire series, and animation wasn’t exactly amazing, but great character designs and breezy pacing made the show really easy to watch.

actually pretty acuurate in my opinion, first season was interesting and enjoyable even tho its execution is stupid, second season is just yikes
Jan 19, 2020 10:34 PM

Jul 2012
For 50 episodes, it tells a complete story. It has a theme I enjoy which is basically good guys vs good guys but they both see it as "good guys vs bad guys". It also has mind games when they battle which is fun. I don't think it's perfect but it was a fun show. It's hard for most of us to get invested in LOGH when it's 100+ episodes and much more slower.
Jan 20, 2020 1:08 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Nillwas said:
Just beacuse a show dosen't mean everyone will love it.

Is not common that we are all different and got different taste ?

When it comes to the anime medium everyone is watching beacuse of different reasons.

I hate JoJo, I think it's something of the most awful thing in this ficition and it's still a pretty popular show.

I enjoy Code Geass beacuse of the world itself, it's not just robot vs robot fighting for 24 eps. We are following the view of the people Leouch change, drama, romance with more.
It's a show I thought was interesting and that's all i need to enjoy a anime.

And if anything it feels like a baitpost to start fighting the fans.

why do you hate jojo's bizarre adventure? Did your disdain for the show trigger any fans?
Jan 20, 2020 2:00 AM

Mar 2018
I feel the same about Code Geass to be honest. It's why I never finished it. Well, for different reasons. I found the show boring and didn't really care for the internal politics and relationships between characters within the show so I felt I had no connection to Lelouch's motives - which is really its selling point. Nothing about the show really connected and worked for me. Not to mention it felt dated and like it hasn't aged well.

But if you care about the things I stated you are going to enjoy it. I just found it hard to connect with anything going on when I found the progression of the show to just be people standing around talking about things that could very easily be told in a more visually compelling way, and then people fighting in mechs, and switching back and forth between the two.

GeassedByLelouch said:
You're simply not big brain enough to fully appreciate the masterpiece that is Code Geass, Ijo da.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty.

Jan 20, 2020 2:04 AM
Dec 2017
Can't we all just be friends?

Like.... Seriously we all need to be friends
Jan 20, 2020 2:18 AM
Oct 2018
Nefelupitou said:
janbiel12 said:
First of all, I'm not an english speaker so maybe there's something wrong.
Well, I'm a big fan of Code Geass and consider it one of the best animes ever, and there are some reasons, being the main one Lelouch character. CG doesn't have stellar secondary characters like Hunter x Hunter and neither a great story development like Berserk, it doesn't have the same realism of Clannad but it have Lelouch. Lelouch is a surprisingly well wroted character that put the whole anime in his shoulders. The fact of watching the main character crying because he's weak or unable to do something, is a thing most of animes don't do because they want they MC to be a god. And in Code Geass he is worried about his decisions, what to do and he is smart but not the way Death Note is. Yeah, he's smart and can predict some of his opponents actions when he created the videos for example. The answers he uses in the videos are made to answer a lot of things the people watching the video could say, and the fact that there's a part when he takes a little bit of time to response shows how he's not a god, that was a fail on his plan. Those little things are gorgeous. And then there's the end. That's the reason about my opinion towards Code Geass. Code Geass may not be perfect but his ending indeed is, and that is what you keep when you finish the series, the last moments which were perfect.

Man, I’m sorry, but Lelouch’s a tremendous Mary Sue. He’s far from being a well written character. He may not be horrible, but he’s not good as well.

Well, the fact that he do a lot of things wrong proves that he's not a Gary Stu. Otherwise he would be something like a god, he has his pros and his cons. He doesn't enter in the "Gary Stu" definition.
Jan 20, 2020 2:24 AM

Apr 2017
I like mechs and King Arthur, I did not expect to see those two things combined never mind combined well.
PFP source: Pixiv/Twitter
Jan 20, 2020 5:37 AM

Dec 2015
MeisterDM said:
Nillwas said:

When it comes to the anime medium everyone is watching beacuse of different reasons.

I hate JoJo, I think it's something of the most awful thing in this ficition and it's still a pretty popular show.

I enjoy Code Geass beacuse of the world itself, it's not just robot vs robot fighting for 24 eps. We are following the view of the people Leouch change, drama, romance with more.

why do you hate jojo's bizarre adventure? Did your disdain for the show trigger any fans?

Naaah, I can't handle the comedy.
In my view the show is super childish and thanks to that I'm having a hard time enjoying JoJo.

Jan 20, 2020 1:13 PM

Nov 2010
Shutos said:
Nillwas said:

to respond to this, yes everyone obviously has different taste, that is fine, but certain shows reach a level of popularity where i question the consistency of how many people just absolutely love this show, and i can not see the reason

so... because you don't see reason nobody else should?

Shutos said:
Or am i just a cynical dick?
and so you answerd your own question...
Jan 20, 2020 1:20 PM

Feb 2019
I've always have had a huge soft spot for Code Geass. Call it cheesy and crazy but I still helm the first season in high regards.
Jan 20, 2020 1:22 PM

May 2018
1) typical edgy shounen
2) fujoshi issues
3) fanservice and waifus

Jan 20, 2020 3:02 PM

Dec 2018
kickthebucket said:
Shutos said:
to respond to this, yes everyone obviously has different taste, that is fine, but certain shows reach a level of popularity where i question the consistency of how many people just absolutely love this show, and i can not see the reason

so... because you don't see reason nobody else should?

Shutos said:
Or am i just a cynical dick?
and so you answerd your own question...
no i dont think i am but thanks for your input
Jan 20, 2020 3:58 PM

Dec 2008
I don't know but then I hate the show.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Jan 20, 2020 5:21 PM
Mar 2016
fast paced (fastest ive watched) , lots of plot twists, didn't even notice the poor dialogue when i watched it,

i found it exciting

great ending too
Jan 20, 2020 5:53 PM
Dec 2019
I did watch Code Geass till the end but did not enjoy it a bit. I not sure why I watched it lol
Jan 20, 2020 5:56 PM
Jul 2018
I dislike the character design, way too edgy for my taste. This is coming from someone who likes unusual presentation and thinks Flower of Evil anime character design adds the atmosphere fits as hell.
Jan 20, 2020 6:08 PM

Mar 2012
Hum..
I was 12 years old in 2007 so...
Jan 20, 2020 6:18 PM
Feb 2019
It's entertaining mostly. Most people in anime medium don't give two shit about fancy concept like "PlOT, ChArAcTeR WrItiNg, PaCiNg, bla bla" so yeah for an anime that good at covering its flaw with directing tricks, people probably overlooked and just got caught up with the "train" and get carried away by the hype way up till the end.
Jan 20, 2020 6:49 PM

Dec 2012
8/10 for:

-Mecha
-Cool mecha action
-Great mecha designs
-Epic plot
-Kallen Stadtfeld
KruszerJan 20, 2020 6:57 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jan 20, 2020 7:18 PM

Feb 2017
I like Code Geass despite all its glaring faults. Lelouch's portrayal as Zero was some over the top shit but it made for entertaining show. I guess its because previously I had only watched romance anime where characters are mild and normal and this took a different tone.

I also liked how morality and sacrifices are depicted here. We have a teenage guy with a power he does not fully understand and begins to abuse for his own ends. Sure there will be a price to pay, but will he even have enough left to even pay it? Is the success worth it? Can a school boy handle a pressure that even kings struggle with? I guess these kind of philosophical questions the show raises are what made this a favorite of mine rather than being an excellent show by itself.

C's world concept was complete shit and Suzaku's character writing was so bad. The handling of Lelouch's revenge on his parent was utterly horrible
Best ending line in anime history = "My name is Saiki Kusuo. I am a psychic."
Jan 20, 2020 9:05 PM

Aug 2016
I liked the first season a lot. It was very close to a 9/10 for me.

I have no idea why people like the 2nd season though. The final moment of it was really well done and a fitting ending.. but everything besides that was dog shit. The plot with Charles was so idiotic I couldn't even take it seriously.

This review pretty much sums it up for me. https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=23681
Jan 20, 2020 9:18 PM
Sep 2019
Haven’t really any problem with the dialogue. I find CG to have some awesome characterizations, a interesting plot with a massive scale, and a compelling plot. It mixes highschool with world wars and mechas. So yeah. That’s dope. If you don’t enjoy it, that’s fine. You don’t have too. I’m sure you have shows that you do enjoy and those shows are perfectly valid and entertaining on their on.
Ya boy is going to Con Alt Delete 2020! See you there!

Jan 20, 2020 11:50 PM

Apr 2013
I think the story was well thought out, except for some really really dumb parts...

If it wasn't a mecha, I probably would've rated it even higher.
Jan 21, 2020 12:04 AM

Nov 2018
I don't hate the series but gosh why the fuck do people keep praising the ending? It was so shit.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

babykeiji - Feb 22, 2008

122 by shakinfuture2 »»
Apr 11, 4:51 AM

» Code Geass is an omnipandering anime ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Feb 3

69 by AnimSr »»
Mar 31, 4:09 AM

Poll: » Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Faust721 - Feb 18, 2007

142 by Ja_LYMPIK »»
Mar 17, 3:39 AM

Poll: » Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Crystal - Feb 7, 2007

175 by Ja_LYMPIK »»
Mar 17, 2:24 AM

Poll: » Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Xinil - Feb 6, 2007

191 by yulek »»
Mar 11, 3:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.