Forum Settings
Forums

What is an anime you are oddly defensive about?

New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jan 7, 2020 8:40 PM

Oct 2019
deadman wonderland. like i know this anime wasn’t able to make a season 2 but this anime just develops the main character in a fair way leading up to when they were going to have season 2. all i see is people complaining about the MC in the anime being a wuss. in my opinion he was just framed in a realistic way
★* 𝓡𝓲𝓼𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓚𝓹𝓸𝓹 𝓼𝓽𝓪𝓻 *★
. . . . * * . . . . . .

Jan 7, 2020 9:05 PM

Jan 2019
For me, it is most definitely Monster Musume, which people shit on all the time for having extensive fanservice, but overlook the fascinating society within the story.
Hunter x Hunter is a 1/10
Jan 7, 2020 10:02 PM
Jul 2018
SAO, the first half of the first season is my wet dream.
Jan 8, 2020 11:34 AM

Aug 2015
Bleach, I admit it has it's issues and gets rather... basic at times but I love it and try to defend it
Metal, games, and good friends make life worth living
Discord: kingkrazy#0336
Jan 8, 2020 11:40 AM

Feb 2019
Sangatsu, perhaps? Most people who criticize it don’t know the difference between problems the show actually suffers from and “issues” that are inherent within the slice of life genre itself.
To judge others by your own standard is the height of folly.
Jan 8, 2020 11:43 AM
Jul 2018
Ojamajo Doremi. I get why people don't give it a chance but I still think it's worth your time.
Jan 8, 2020 11:53 AM

Apr 2015
The only series that I have defended has been High school of the dead, not even really out of me liking that shit till death do us part. Often I just see people missing what's the whole deal with it and expecting something completely different. It's cool to not like it, but going about how over the top scenes and comical fan service ruined it and plot, fails to see that's what it is all about.

Oh wait Midori shoujo tsubaki too I have defended.
Jan 8, 2020 12:12 PM
Oct 2012
Gen Z boys who call Shingeki and Jojo bad shows while thinking Demon Slayer and My Hero Academia are the peak of anime
Jan 8, 2020 12:19 PM

Oct 2013
I'm literally forced to defend Darling in the FranXX on an almost daily basis.
Idk if I would like so much if people didn't spam idiotic criticism about the show's latter half.
Jan 8, 2020 12:24 PM

Nov 2019
No one can touch my precious Wolf Children! Is and will always be the greatest work of art ever made. I would dare to say is the "Citizen Kane" of anime!
Well, perhaps I'm exagerating a bit xD, but that's how I feel.
Jan 8, 2020 2:16 PM

Jul 2007
Takuto_Shindou said:
Gen Z boys who call Shingeki and Jojo bad shows while thinking Demon Slayer and My Hero Academia are the peak of anime

Shingeki no Kyojin is a basic zoomer anime the same level as Boku no Hero Academia.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jan 8, 2020 5:17 PM
Oct 2012
EndlessMaria said:
Takuto_Shindou said:

Shingeki no Kyojin is a basic zoomer anime the same level as Boku no Hero Academia.
Lol nice joke, SnK isn't perfect by any means but it tried several new things and took many risks, it's a genre of its own
MHA is everything that is wrong with shounen - the animated series.
Jan 8, 2020 9:27 PM

Aug 2012
Bungou Stray Dogs. Though I do ship characters of the series, this isn´t the reason at all. In my country in particular, people say "it´s too boring, I won´t watch more than three episodes". Most of them are Shounen trash and can´t really wait for the action scenes or dumb comedy. Not that I don´t like some Shounen, but people around just can´t enjoy the story and the mysteries unraveling without really fantastic battle twists and such.

Brazilian manga collectors also won´t give it a chance because they fear hiatus and its publication is too slow. Well, monthly chapters. What did they expect? It doesn´t help literacy rate is too low here. And when they read, most refuse the classics. Schools don´t even work with literature around the world, which is really sad.

Sorry for ranting this much, I needed to let this out. I wanted to talk about this subject for a long time.
"Could you not talk with me? I'm busy breathing."
Jan 9, 2020 7:03 PM
Jan 2020
Mayoiga....see my recent thread:

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1819640
Jan 9, 2020 7:24 PM

Oct 2018
For some reason I always feel the need to defend Bungou Stray Dogs. The most common criticism I see is that it’s just another generic shounen which is completely wrong.

Jan 10, 2020 2:01 AM
Nov 2019
Val X Love when people say it doesn't have any story and is just a hentai show.
Val X Love isn't that bad.
Jan 10, 2020 5:25 AM

Sep 2017
I gladly admit all my favourite anime have flaws or tropes that can't be appreciated by everyone, so honestly I'm not oddly defensive about any of them

But I guess I would harshly defend my favourites if the critic seems unfair.

Guess that would work well for Natsume Yuujinchou, but since it's not really popular and seems really appreciated, I almost never see any negative comments about it
Jan 11, 2020 11:21 AM

Dec 2018
The Fate series. Mostly because I have seen very little legitimate criticism other then “I dOn’T lIkE inSeRt chArActer HerE,” or people who think nothing happens. Most of the low reviews for the main titles are written by people who clearly didn’t understand the show in any capacity or the amazing character development for some of the characters.

Of course there definitely are people who have legitimate criticism. There are some characters who are blander than others, and not every piece of Fate media is a masterpiece. It’s also understandable if Fate just isn’t your type of anime since some people understand why the Fate series is so well liked while disliking it themselves.

So to summarize, the only people I’m really defensive about are the ones who think that the main Fate titles have nothing to offer or are inherently bad just because they don’t like them. To me, it’s exceedingly clear that these people must have been asleep while watching it because they somehow missed how masterfully directed it is.
Meow meow meow meow and meow shogi, meow meow meow meow and meow shogi.

Taking one step a time, I work and try my best.
Though I'm the weakest of the bunch,
Expect from me a good paw punch!
Meow meow pawn, meow shogi.

Jan 12, 2020 3:35 AM
Jul 2018
Any anime with russian MC. Yuri on ice and UzaMaid are the ones I’ll get super protective of. Can’t take any criticism on them at all.
Jan 12, 2020 3:39 AM
Apr 2016
ysphyr said:
Any anime with russian MC. Yuri on ice and UzaMaid are the ones I’ll get super protective of. Can’t take any criticism on them at all.

It is normal. In Russia criticism is rewarded with bullets and drug labs in your flat. Better stay defensive and pretend all is well in the Trussia.
Re:formed
Jan 12, 2020 3:48 AM
Jul 2018
Daniel_Naumov said:
ysphyr said:

It is normal. In Russia criticism is rewarded with bullets and drug labs in your flat. Better stay defensive and pretend all is well in the Trussia.

Dude are you ok? What in my comment made you go all political? That’s a weird overreaction tbh
Jan 12, 2020 3:52 AM
Apr 2016
ysphyr said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

Dude are you ok? What in my comment made you go all political? That’s a weird overreaction tbh

No no this is just the truth. Russian people have that oppressed mindset which unconsciously is leaking through and is present, for example, when we are discussing art. This is mere psychology.
Jan 12, 2020 4:02 AM

Dec 2017
Re:Zero when people say Subaru (the MC) is annoying. People are so empathetic towards Shinji from Eva yet they aren't willing to empathize with Subaru.
Jan 12, 2020 4:07 AM
Jul 2018
Daniel_Naumov said:
ysphyr said:

No no this is just the truth. Russian people have that oppressed mindset which unconsciously is leaking through and is present, for example, when we are discussing art. This is mere psychology.

How’s liking your people being represented in anime is an oppressed mindset?
Jan 12, 2020 4:12 AM
Apr 2016
ysphyr said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

Not willing to question their insert and how they are portrayed, how believably or how valuable the fact that they are of a certain (Russian) nationality is quite a closed, oppressed mindset.
neil said:
Re:Zero when people say Subaru (the MC) is annoying. People are so empathetic towards Shinji from Eva yet they aren't willing to empathize with Subaru.

Shinji is just a normal Japanese kid (at the time), he was representing at least half the society, while Subaru has the power to do-over and still fails 2/3 of the time. Entitlement.
Jan 12, 2020 4:28 AM

Dec 2017
Daniel_Naumov said:
ysphyr said:

Not willing to question their insert and how they are portrayed, how believably or how valuable the fact that they are of a certain (Russian) nationality is quite a closed, oppressed mindset.
neil said:

Shinji is just a normal Japanese kid (at the time), he was representing at least half the society, while Subaru has the power to do-over and still fails 2/3 of the time. Entitlement.

Having the power to do over in such a dangerous world with no other powers doesn't amount to much when he can't even tell anyone about it. The times he failed, he painfully died. I think it doesn't take a lot to empathize with his frustration if people aren't able to understand the pain of death.
Jan 12, 2020 4:28 AM
Apr 2016
neil said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

Having the power to do over in such a dangerous world with no other powers doesn't amount to much when he can't even tell anyone about it. The times he failed, he painfully died. I think it doesn't take a lot to empathize with his frustration if people aren't able to understand the pain of death.

I mean, I like him and everything, but comparing him to something as fundamental as Shinji is simply wrong on the conceptual level.
Jan 12, 2020 4:29 AM
Jul 2018
Daniel_Naumov said:
ysphyr said:

You’re overthinking it a little. I watch anime solely for entertainment purposes, not to analyze it.
But overall - agree to disagree I guess? You have a nice day.
Jan 12, 2020 4:35 AM

Dec 2017
Daniel_Naumov said:
neil said:

I mean, I like him and everything, but comparing him to something as fundamental as Shinji is simply wrong factually.

It is not a comparison of their circumstances I'm doing here. I'm comparing the pain both of them went through. One gets sympathy while the other does not by the same people. Something's definitely wrong here. And if we're talking circumstances, both of them were made to risk their lives while being misunderstood by the people around them. It's not so black and white that you can call it 'factually' wrong
Jan 12, 2020 4:40 AM
Apr 2016
neil said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

I mean, I like him and everything, but comparing him to something as fundamental as Shinji is simply wrong factually.

It is not a comparison of their circumstances I'm doing here. I'm comparing the pain both of them went through. One gets sympathy while the other does not by the same people. Something's definitely wrong here. And if we're talking circumstances, both of them were made to risk their lives while being misunderstood by the people around them. It's not so black and white that you can call it 'factually' wrong

Simply from the psychological standpoint the "pain" is way too different. Shinji is a normal kid forced to fight against judgement day angels for people who do not care for him. Subaru has several girls, ability to do-over if he fails, and power of magic and friendship. There is nothing like that neither to Shinji, nor to real people. The majority which can find themselves in Shinji will find next to nothing in Subaru.
ysphyr said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

You’re overthinking it a little. I watch anime solely for entertainment purposes, not to analyze it.
But overall - agree to disagree I guess? You have a nice day.
And you watch your back and do not criticize the authorities.
Jan 12, 2020 4:51 AM

Dec 2017
[quote=Daniel_Naumov]
Simply from the psychological standpoint the "pain" is way too different. Shinji is a normal kid forced to fight against judgement day angels for people who do not care for him. Subaru has several girls, ability to do-over if he fails, and power of magic and friendship. There is nothing like that neither to Shinji, nor to real people. The majority which can find themselves in Shinji will find next to nothing in Subaru.

You say ability to do over like it's a magical button he clicks to rewind everything. His power of magic and friendship is far away from your typical isekai. The magic is a joke and the friendship is littered with watching his closed ones cruelly die multiple times. The majority of people that found themselves in Shinji chose the parts that reflect real-life dynamics while ignoring the sci-fi aspect no one can relate with. There were many real life elements that were relatable in Subaru's struggle too but that was all shrouded over with words like magic and friendship conveniently hiding all the deep implications of mental torture with no one to turn towards.
neilJan 12, 2020 5:04 AM
Jan 12, 2020 5:21 AM
Apr 2016
[quote=neil message=58951520]
Daniel_Naumov said:

You say ability to do over like it's a magical button he clicks to rewind everything. His power of magic and friendship is far away from your typical isekai. The magic is a joke and the friendship is littered with watching his closed ones cruelly die multiple times. The majority of people that found themselves in Shinji chose the parts that reflect real-life dynamics while ignoring the sci-fi aspect no one can relate with. There were many real life elements that were relatable in Subaru's struggle too but that was all shrouded over with words like magic and friendship conveniently hiding all the deep implications of mental torture with no one to turn towards.

I am not asking for explanations here. I simply explained why the majority will always prefer Shinji over Subaru.
Jan 13, 2020 1:43 PM

Aug 2013
ID:Invaded. People find it wack but knowing the crazy writer this show will surprise us all.
Also Monster. People find it pretentious and stale, but for me it has some of the best characters and exploration of human philosophy in a long while.
Jan 15, 2020 2:31 PM
Dec 2017
I'm kinda defensive about any anime I've seen, especially Fairy Tail, My Hero Academia, and Tokyo Ghoul.
Jan 15, 2020 2:33 PM
Dec 2017
Gilliesss said:
For some reason I always feel the need to defend Bungou Stray Dogs. The most common criticism I see is that it’s just another generic shounen which is completely wrong.

People think that? Bruh... Bungou Stray Dogs is the exact opposite of your average shounen. Besides, it's seinen. XD
Jan 15, 2020 2:35 PM

Jul 2014
Definitely Dragon Ball, or more specifically when people call Goku out.
But recently I dont get defensive anymore, could be getting tired of arguing with people online.
Jan 15, 2020 2:39 PM
Dec 2017
chillyvanilla said:
deadman wonderland. like i know this anime wasn’t able to make a season 2 but this anime just develops the main character in a fair way leading up to when they were going to have season 2. all i see is people complaining about the MC in the anime being a wuss. in my opinion he was just framed in a realistic way

Ikr? Deadman Wonderland was a good anime and the way Ganta acts isn't anything to complain about. I mean, people do realize that he's a middle schooler in an extremely messed up situation, right?
Jan 15, 2020 2:46 PM

Jul 2016
-Stray said:
But recently I dont get defensive anymore, could be getting tired of arguing with people online.

Yeah most people call goku out because of how he is portrayed in dragon ball super.I honestly don´t see him as a hero,btw.I prefer to perceive him as a chaotic neutral sort of character,sort of akin to Luffy,where he does whatever the hell he wants.
SummerynJan 15, 2020 2:53 PM
Jan 15, 2020 2:58 PM
Oct 2019
Gaikotsu Shotenin Honda-san but i don't get that defensive about it i just suggest people give it another try.
At the end of the day i cant be bothered with arguing with people online.
must be getting old haha
Jan 15, 2020 3:01 PM

Jul 2014
Missaliensan said:
-Stray said:

Yeah most people call goku out because of how he is portrayed in dragon ball super.I honestly don´t see him as a hero,btw.I prefer to perceive him as a chaotic neutral sort of character,sort of akin to Luffy,where he does whatever the hell he wants.

Exactly, glad some people actually understood his character, but to be fair people are starting to understand his character more recently especially in the DB fandom so maybe thats part of the reason why I dont defend him anymore.
Jan 15, 2020 3:03 PM

Jul 2016
-Stray said:
Missaliensan said:

Exactly, glad some people actually understood his character, but to be fair people are starting to understand his character more recently especially in the DB fandom so maybe thats part of the reason why I dont defend him anymore.

To be frank,most of this misunderstanding of goku´s character stems from most people having only watched the sean schemmel version of Goku,which portrays him in a more heroic light.Which is completely wrong once you realize that he comes from a race of bloodthirsty warriors that love to fight for the sake of it.
Jan 15, 2020 3:06 PM

Jul 2007
Missaliensan said:
To be frank,most of this misunderstanding of goku´s character stems from most people having only watched the sean schemmel version of Goku,which portrays him in a more heroic light.

Yup. The english dub rewrote the script to paint Goku as more of a super hero type character because I guess they thought that was what western fans wanted.
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jan 15, 2020 3:16 PM

Jul 2014
Missaliensan said:

To be frank,most of this misunderstanding of goku´s character stems from most people having only watched the sean schemmel version of Goku,which portrays him in a more heroic light.Which is completely wrong once you realize that he comes from a race of bloodthirsty warriors that love to fight for the sake of it.

EndlessMaria said:

Yup. The english dub rewrote the script to paint Goku as more of a super hero type character because I guess they thought that was what western fans wanted.

When you have the dub say this
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am the protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. ALLY TO GOOD, NIGHTMARE TO YOU!"
in contrast to what he actually says in the manga
"You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!"
Then another misconception is that when Goku mentioned "pure of heart" or when the series paints him as someone who has a "pure of heart" its not exactly as simple as they think it meant. Kid Buu is also someone who is mentioned to have a pure of heart, an evil one that is. Goku is neither good or evil when it comes to that tho.
Jan 15, 2020 3:23 PM

Jul 2007
-Stray said:
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am the protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. ALLY TO GOOD, NIGHTMARE TO YOU!"
"You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!"

Lol this actually ruined my friend's childhood when he found out this line was a lie.
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jan 15, 2020 3:28 PM

Jul 2007
Wharf said:
Naruto. Sure, it's its flaws and it's certainly not a perfect anime but it honestly irks me a little when people make unwarranted criticism about it. If you're going to critique a show(any show), make sure it is factually accurate and not just weird head canon you made up.

Yeah, Naruto is awesome. I will defend it on the same level I do Dragon Ball.
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jan 15, 2020 3:33 PM

Jul 2014
EndlessMaria said:
-Stray said:

Lol this actually ruined my friend's childhood when he found out this line was a lie.

As someone who didnt grow up with Funi dub and watched the Japanese version, people got triggered af when I said I watched DB and I like Goku, they start the conversation saying that line and asks me "who said that line?" and I'd just answer them "who tf said that?" they'd just look at me like I'm trash. Good times.
Jan 15, 2020 9:52 PM

Jan 2018
Dragon Ball. My childhood right there.

Naruto. My high school life right there.

Sword Art Online. My college life right there.
— at least the first half; that was freaking awesome. The part where Yui appeared is still questionable for me haha

hell is other people
Jan 16, 2020 2:20 AM
Dec 2019
Marinate1016 said:
Doesn’t have to be your favorite anime, just one where you often object to common criticisms because you feel they are not accurate and/or not in good faith. For example, I found Magical Girls Raising Project to be an average anime but I roll my eyes when I see it get called a ‘Madoka clone’.

Obviously SAO is one I've been outspoken about and Fairy Gone as well. I will also always go to bat for Fate 06. Still in my top 10. The story remains the best of the series for me.

The Monogatari series. I've seen a lot of people saying that it's too boring, dialogue heavy or the animation and visuals in general are too weird and that's why they don't like it. That's okay it's their opinion, I understand. But on the other hand, isn't this what makes the Monogatari series so special? The dialogues, the cutting, the weird visual style? It tells the story in an unique way, the music fits perfectly into this as well. Imo one of the best anime existing!
Jan 16, 2020 2:31 AM
Dec 2017
Overlord, specifically when people got into a rage saying they hate ainz and is evil because ainz killed one cute girl. Shit, like do you even watch the show?

I mean, people often complains about a show being GENERIC and CLICHE etc. But when there is actually a show that completely strays away from all the generic and cliche stuff, suddenly people hate it. It's just so stupid and annoying.
SocialloserJan 16, 2020 2:36 AM
Jan 16, 2020 6:23 AM
Jul 2018
Socialloser said:
Overlord, specifically when people got into a rage saying they hate ainz and is evil because ainz killed one cute girl. Shit, like do you even watch the show?

I mean, people often complains about a show being GENERIC and CLICHE etc. But when there is actually a show that completely strays away from all the generic and cliche stuff, suddenly people hate it. It's just so stupid and annoying.

It depends on the reason? I just lost interest in Overlord soon.

Noragami: People calling it a generic shounen, at least I try to make my point or provide my view on it then. There are some really well-written characters and themes important for me and also Yato's and others development isn't completed in an arc, like some other anime too. They fall back sometimes at old behavior patterns, which is too real, and is hard to overcome this.
Also that family means shit, if they are toxic for you and aren't good people to be around.
And some reasons more.

Also I would try to give my view on D.Gray-man, Owari no Seraph and a few more, when people don't make a good point why they dislike it and just say buzzwords like generic or something.

For other stuff: Someone told me: "I don't watch Mo Dao Zu Shi, it's listed as BL / Yaoi and all of them are really bad", now he likes it lol (Unfortunately) It's jist hinted in the anime, I guess because of chinese censorship laws.

The Ancient Magus Bride: Elias has done nothing really bad to her, but people make it sound like and some people even compared it to "lol 50 Shades version for anime", nothing like that happened wtf.

Maybe Scum's Wish, if it's called degenerated or something? Although making similar experiences are even pretty normal for some people.

When people say that Bloom Into You and KareKano for example are bad, because the relationships are quite unhealthy or quite disfunctional. I mean yeah, but that's also somewhat the point of these couples? Must every romance and couple be super nice and cuddly?

And the classic defensive mode about people saying "Shinji, get in the robot, boy."
removed-userJan 16, 2020 6:32 AM
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

66 by 23feanor »»
2 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 6 hours ago

13 by Otakupervert890 »»
8 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

90 by Theo1899 »»
11 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9069 by anime-prime »»
25 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

19 by Zarutaku »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.