Forum Settings
Forums

Brexit will have soon cost the UK more than all its payments to the EU over the past 47 years put together

New
Jan 14, 2020 2:53 PM

Jan 2009
Brexit is likely to have cost the UK more than £200 billion in lost economic growth by the end of this year — a figure that almost eclipses the total amount the UK has paid toward the European Union budget over the past 47 years.

According to research by Bloomberg Economics, the cost of the UK's vote to leave has already reached £130 billion, with a further £70 billion likely to be added by the end of 2020.

https://www.businessinsider.sg/brexit-will-cost-uk-more-than-total-payments-to-eu-2020-1/

damn lol isnt it that one of the main reason for Brexit is that the leavers think they pay too much money on the EU? but look at that now
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jan 14, 2020 3:01 PM

Jul 2007
Now there's a real shocker.
Jan 14, 2020 3:10 PM

Mar 2008
That would basically mean the UK would be in an economic low for the next roughly 30-50 years and that's before Scotland and Northern Ireland leave.
Jan 14, 2020 11:29 PM

Feb 2019
For some reason, I'd love to see UK crumble.
Jan 15, 2020 1:07 AM

Sep 2018
The UK pays £15.5b a year.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicsectorfinance/articles/theukcontributiontotheeubudget/2017-10-31

Most of the cost is from the remainers doing everything they can to hold the thing up for 3 years.

Also the original article is not available but if they can't get the headline figure right, I don't hold out much hope for the rest. The UKs economy is still doing better than Germanys.
Jan 15, 2020 2:56 AM

Jul 2019
QPR said:

Also the original article is not available but if they can't get the headline figure right, I don't hold out much hope for the rest. The UKs economy is still doing better than Germanys.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/2995521/10075412/2-14112019-AP-EN.pdf/c29b43ca-1bc8-d863-cbcd-31cc05068ddf

Except for Italy, pretty much everybody is doing better than Germany. The way the economy is handled in this country - tax policy in particular - is beyond me. Sure, the national debt has decreased in relative terms but private debt continues to rise and necessary investment is being delayed.

Considering 3 years of political uncertainty in the UK, values slightly below EU28 average are imo acceptable for a developed country of this size.
Jan 15, 2020 3:51 AM

Feb 2015
According to their votes, shouldn't they have split off some years ago? They could have listened to their majority vote (why even put up the vote if you're not gonna go through with it?) and be rebuilding their economy for some time now.
Jan 15, 2020 5:31 AM

Apr 2019
Milennin said:
According to their votes, shouldn't they have split off some years ago? They could have listened to their majority vote (why even put up the vote if you're not gonna go through with it?) and be rebuilding their economy for some time now.

this is partially true and i guess one of the big debates has been over 'democracy'... why even have a vote if you won't respect it. although the other issue for a while was trying to get a deal that everyone was happy with, i.e. actually succeed in getting something through parliament and when there are so many remainers, it's no surprise there were so many voices against any deal that got proposed

hopefully there's an end to this soon, it doesn't surprise me that this whole thing is costing us so much.
Jan 15, 2020 6:29 AM

Aug 2018
Old new is old. Pretty much everyone warned them about that, but the Brittish always had that attitute that they think they are better than the mainland of Europe. Let them crumble. Now leave them be in their extra mess they have created.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Jan 15, 2020 8:12 AM

Feb 2010
Milennin said:

slim majority basically 51% and several reasons they ar reluctant. if they do go with it and don't start off well off. it might risk fracturing parts of the UK mainly Scotland and Northern Ireland.

especially scotland as the only reason it stayed in the UK was because of the benefits from the EU.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jan 15, 2020 8:23 AM

Nov 2008
That's short term, everyone that's pro-Brexit has said that it will be expensive in the short term, Brexit is better in the long run.

Jan 15, 2020 10:03 AM

Jan 2020
Your grandbrats will see the good sites of it. Don't blame them. At least someone cares for the future.
Jan 15, 2020 11:20 AM

Apr 2013
If only Scotland and Northern Ireland would decide to stay with the EU instead of staying with England, that's too bad if they don't.

Timz0r said:
but the Brittish always had that attitute that they think they are better than the mainland of Europe.

I think it's way more the English themselves (with maybe Welsh as well? ) that give that kind of feeling rather than the "British" as a whole though.
Jan 15, 2020 12:25 PM

Apr 2017
cythraul said:
For some reason, I'd love to see UK crumble.
they did it to themselves with the December election, i hope Scotland and Northern Ireland secede though
mal's raccoon

boop !
‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ hell yeah !
from the distant
year of

the
are after me !
Jan 15, 2020 8:34 PM

Mar 2011
I never really thought of the pre-1993 incarnations as the EU, so this article doesn't really impact me. Still, it is a large number.
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Jan 16, 2020 1:11 AM

Sep 2018
Hoppy said:
That's short term, everyone that's pro-Brexit has said that it will be expensive in the short term, Brexit is better in the long run.

Exactly, a whole new industry of fishing (and fisheries protection) will start up soon now that the EU won't be able to thieve the UKs fish, they've said they want the fish before they even start talking about a deal. I'd walk away and say no deal unless we get a Canada/Japan one, a free trade deal with no payments.

Then let the EU bureaucrats sweat, Germany sink into a recession when they lost their #1 car market. The countries will get onto the EU to sort out a deal. We should not pay for a deal that the EU gave to everyone else, that's just punishment.
Jan 16, 2020 10:00 AM

May 2010
Look at all this money you're not going to make because you aren't working with us.

*Quotes imaginary number*

Clearly, working with us is the ideal business strategy.
Jan 18, 2020 4:50 PM

May 2018
As a British person Brexit is not worth it- it never was. The only people who wanted to leave was old people who were fear mongered by the "threat of illegal immigrants", who where actually just alyssum seekers (which isnt illegal anyway...)

We've always had a few negatives because we were in the EU but it was 100% outweighed by the benefits.

Im fucking fed up.
SeijatachiiiiJan 18, 2020 4:57 PM
Jan 19, 2020 1:02 AM

Sep 2018
Seijatachiiii said:
As a British person Brexit is not worth it- it never was. The only people who wanted to leave was old people who were fear mongered by the "threat of illegal immigrants", who where actually just alyssum seekers (which isnt illegal anyway...)

We've always had a few negatives because we were in the EU but it was 100% outweighed by the benefits.

Im fucking fed up.

They are criminals because asylum seekers must take refuge in the first safe state, these people come through most of Europe to get here illegally.
It's also about a lot more than that.
Jan 19, 2020 2:54 AM

Dec 2018
Why did UK decide to leave the EU. I don’t really care that they did I just don’t understand the logic behind it. They’re loosing money because of it and there is going to be problems figuring out what to do with the Irish border. Was there any logic in this decision?
Jan 19, 2020 3:35 AM

Jan 2009
Monochrosanity said:
Why did UK decide to leave the EU. I don’t really care that they did I just don’t understand the logic behind it. They’re loosing money because of it and there is going to be problems figuring out what to do with the Irish border. Was there any logic in this decision?

because of the migrant crisis, the Brexit voters fear that immigrants will take their jobs and increase the crime rates and outright replace the white race population in a few decades
Jan 25, 2020 2:27 PM

Mar 2014
deg said:
Monochrosanity said:

because of the migrant crisis, the Brexit voters fear that immigrants will take their jobs and increase the crime rates and outright replace the white race population in a few decades

But wont they just keep getting people from the Commmonwelth, just like before mid-1970's? Doesn't this include a lot of african and caribbean countries? Maybe even India and Pakistan?

Sooo...almost nothing changes in this aspect, if I am correct, sans less slavs? /lol

it might risk fracturing parts of the UK mainly Scotland and Northern Ireland.

especially scotland as the only reason it stayed in the UK was because of the benefits from the EU.

Sometimes being a big coward does not pay of.

Had Scotland had left in the referendum, at this point they would be in the middle of the process of re-entering it, and this time as a fully fledged sovereign nation.

Now, they are exiting against their will, and there is no way in hell the anglos will allow for a legal referendum again for the next 3 decades at minimun, as they would lost clay easy.

Also, hope they are prepared for IRA to resume their bombings. No more common border/free trade with Ireland=North Ireland irish patriots get big mad.

Walles separatism? They also voted Brexit, but if things go real bad, not impossible...

But I record some brits complaining about no english-only parliament, while his subjects of UK have one for each of them. Maybe, deep down, they just want to be good old England, all alone.
FabrisJan 25, 2020 2:30 PM
FGO NA Code: 482.072.599

(F2P thug life of savings...)

Ben-to! best nonsensical action anime. Ever.
Jan 26, 2020 1:27 AM

Sep 2018
Is is fair for Scottish to vote down English only ideas they they can vote on English matter but the English cannot vote on Scottish matters?

Is it fair Scots can have free university in both Scotland and England but English have to pay in both England and Scotland? That's clear discrimination.

The jocks will never leave no matter what that windbag says, she should concentrate on her own country that is plummeting down the rankings under her control.

I can see Ireland being reunited within 20 years as both Scotland and NI are a drain on England and Wales.
Jan 26, 2020 11:54 AM

May 2016
Hopefully they can stop the inflow of rapefugees. And they already said they aren't doing article 13. So far so good.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.