Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 10, 2020 8:45 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Haikyu is back and off to a terrific start. It bought back the famliar cast from the franchise along with an energeti opening song. Even Kiyoko is back!

Hinata's personality is still the same as ever and aiming to reach new heights. I love that symbolism with the wings as I remember from the previous seasons. It seems this episode is making preparation for the national tournaments so expecting a lot of big games coming. Great to see Tsukishima, back too.
Jan 10, 2020 8:55 AM

Nov 2007
Competition of heights?! lol~ Also spiking height.

Everyone surprised that setter guy is chosen to be the representative of national team, and megane guy is chosen to do 1st year mix practice by the opponent team of last season. Main guy is shocked.

He went to that mix practice even though he wasn't invited?!

HiroC's character is more scary. The old coach approved him? No, he said he's not worth it. He still stays.

Toriumi-san's character appears.

Both OP and ED are nice.

25:40 next
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jan 10, 2020 9:01 AM

Nov 2016
Lmao, Tsukki was just like"hell, I don't know this guy" one of the parts I was looking forward the most.

It's been a while, but Haikyuu is finally back and damn, the first episode already gave me goosebumps with the amazing OST when the training camps started. This will be an amazing ride again.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 10, 2020 12:01 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Remember to watch the Riku vs. Kuu OVAs before this episode. They're both on Crunchyroll.

Anyways, it feels like it's been forever, but I'm so glad this series is back! And the OP's great too, as expected from Burnout Syndromes!
Jan 10, 2020 12:32 PM

Feb 2019
That was a pretty good and eventful start.

Kageyama and tsukki got a bit ahead of hinata this time. Kageyama got selected in under 19 japan team. That's pretty awesome. Love the smug look he gave to shoyou.

Tsukki also got selected to special training camp held by shiratorizwa coach. Shoyou showed up uninvited lmao. My boi can do anything for volleyball even if it means putting his pride aside. That old shorty hates shoyou. I want shoyou to give even more shocks to that fucker. Even that onion head makes it to camp but hinata can't, I mean c'mon, shoyou's way better than that guy.

All those dudes in U-19 squad look cool as hell. I am looking forward to see more of them.
Jan 10, 2020 12:32 PM
Sep 2015
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Remember to watch the Riku vs. Kuu OVAs before this episode. They're both on Crunchyroll.

Anyways, it feels like it's been forever, but I'm so glad this series is back! And the OP's great too, as expected from Burnout Syndromes!

hum, you sure?
https://www.crunchyroll.com/search?o=m&r=t&q=riku+vs.+kuu

The episode was a recap of the bonuses so there was nothing really new, it felt ok to me
Jan 10, 2020 12:33 PM

Apr 2019
Great first episode! Remember to watch the 2 new OVAs before! All 3 episodes today were great.

Jan 10, 2020 12:59 PM

Aug 2013
Oh shit. Hinata just showed up uninvited. Lol I'm dead XD
I'm looking forward to seeing how Tsukki, Kageyama and Hinata improve their skills.

Jan 10, 2020 1:07 PM
Feb 2019
Hinata created a whole new level of cringyness in this chapter
Jan 10, 2020 1:17 PM

Oct 2017
Hell yeah Haikyuu is back and a great episode right off the bat. This started exactly where s3 ended heck we even got some scenes from the ending of s3. The new op and ed were great.

Lmao Hinata's actions were damn hilarious, he was even considering infiltrating the national youth camp. Thou it must have been really frustrating for him, that makes me sad. Hope he manages to make Washizou sensei accept him as a great player.

Jan 10, 2020 1:18 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Capu_ said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:

hum, you sure?
https://www.crunchyroll.com/search?o=m&r=t&q=riku+vs.+kuu
They're titled as "Land vs. Air" and "The Path of the Ball" on Crunchyroll: https://www.crunchyroll.com/haikyu/episode-1-land-vs-air-792637
Jan 10, 2020 1:29 PM

Jul 2017
My favorite part of the show so far is the ED. CHiCO with HoneyWorks delivered one of my favorite ending songs in a long time here.

Other than that, everything else was okay.
Jul 2018
I still can't believe I get to see Haikyuu and My Hero Academia airing together. What a time to be alive!

Nov 2016
The opening is indeed fire, Bunout Syndromes did a great job, but wow the ending is even better. Gotta love CHiCO with HoneyWorks.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 10, 2020 1:45 PM

May 2009
Thread Cleaned

Please refrain from asking where to watch or posting links to illegal streaming websites. As always, simple phrases like "good episode" are removed without notice.
Jan 10, 2020 1:47 PM

Apr 2015
Is it just me or the art looks much weaker compared to previous seasons? Not the biggest fan of changes in character design as well. Still a good first episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2020 1:55 PM
Mar 2016
CG-Silver said:
Is it just me or the art looks much weaker compared to previous seasons? Not the biggest fan of changes in character design as well. Still a good first episode.

The art changes were made so the characters look more similar to the character designs of the manga.
Jan 10, 2020 1:58 PM

Apr 2015
TheEnhancedExe said:
CG-Silver said:

The art changes were made so the characters look more similar to the character designs of the manga.

Yeah, but I still really liked the previous one a lot. It really fit the style of the series.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2020 1:58 PM

Jan 2016
8,98 already! People who don't like Haikyuu are gonna downscore this now unfortunately. It's also unfortunate that people have given this a 10 or so just 1 episode in.

Well anyways glad to be back! Can't believe I'm finally watching season 4!
Jan 10, 2020 2:13 PM
May 2017
YAYY! HAIKYUU IS BACK! It's the same hilarious comedy and great characters as before. I feel bad for Yamaguchi. He's left behind the other 1st years again! THE OP AND ED ARE ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.

The only thing off with this is the weird new artstyle. Still It will be a strong 9/10 for me just like the previous seasons.
Jan 10, 2020 2:16 PM

Aug 2013
Honestly, I have no words to explain how much I've missed this show and its characters. So glad that it's back again, and what an amazing start!! I really can't wait to see what this season has in store for us.

The opening gave me goosebumps, both the song and the scene itself. Loved it.
Jan 10, 2020 2:16 PM

Jul 2017
Did the art really change? huh didn't even notice that lmao

lol at Hinata literally sneaking into the place uninvited the madlad. Can't wait for Hinata to prove the doubters wrong once again

OP is ok I guess, ED is pretty nice
Jan 10, 2020 2:43 PM

Apr 2012
Short_Circut said:
Did the art really change? huh didn't even notice that lmao

lol at Hinata literally sneaking into the place uninvited the madlad. Can't wait for Hinata to prove the doubters wrong once again

OP is ok I guess, ED is pretty nice

I think the art just reverted back to the first 2 seasons. Season 3 had different art than the others, at least in my recollection.

I loved the first episode, but Hinata, Hinata....
Jan 10, 2020 2:58 PM

Mar 2017
OMFG I'm so hyped! I'm gonna miss all the Karasuno boys being together for practice but I think this season is gonna be super interesting because we'll get to see Kageyama, Tsukki and Hinata's talents as individuals rather than as team members.

I felt so gutted for Hinata when he wasn't chosen for any of the training camps... but honestly I shouldn't have even worried because of course he would be the bold and spirited boy he always is and fucking INVITE HIMSELF hahaha 😂
Jan 10, 2020 3:00 PM

Dec 2012
Oof I remember this was a frustrating arc for me cuz I feel really bad for Hinata and the slight humiliation he's going through. Still I love any Haikyuu content that I'm getting

I actually love the new art style. As it was mentioned already, it was made to resemble the manga style, and I love that

Also!
Jan 10, 2020 3:05 PM

Sep 2014
I just started watching it now! Is it just me or does Hinata's voice sound kinda different? 🤔
his voice sounds deeper/not as girly as before
sunsetoceanJan 10, 2020 3:33 PM

« »
🔮 Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Jan 10, 2020 3:08 PM

Mar 2017
I don't really see the change of the art style tho???? It looks okay for me o_o

Still, I remember getting so annoyed during this arc when I was reading the manga because they kept on looking down on Hinata ;-;

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Jan 10, 2020 3:23 PM

Feb 2017
YAY! Haikyuu!! is finally back and it feels so good! Opening is great as always, ending is nice and episode was quite eventful start to a new season. Kageyama getting invited to the All Japan training camp is big thing for him, can't wait to see other best Japanese kids who will train with him.
Hinata really is determined to be a part of some training camp, even if it means he will be a ball boy. He will have to learn from better by observing first.
Jan 10, 2020 3:24 PM

Dec 2013
It’s so good to see this series but return but Hinata stuff in the second half was so cringeworthy. I might actually fast forward through most his camp stuff at this rate.
Jan 10, 2020 3:30 PM

Oct 2019
I'm excited to see how Hinata's gonna impress people with his ball boy skills lmao, maybe he'll use the chance to practice his receives.
Jan 10, 2020 3:35 PM
Apr 2016
Very happy to have a show like this added to my weekly routine, will have something to look forward to now. Though seriously, I love this show so much!
Jan 10, 2020 3:39 PM
Jun 2017
Ok, lmao this is just ridiculous. Myanimelist rating system is corrupt af. I like haikyuu, but a 9.08 rating from one episode lmao??? Chiafuru got bodied at like a score in the sevens and from what I heard(I haven't watched it yet) the anime is very solid, but salty haters just spam scores. Seriously, ima use anime-planet to look at ratings now, cause this entire thing gets more corrupt by the season. like just fall 2019 alone, the scores generally were not a good indication of how good the anime were
Jan 10, 2020 3:40 PM

Nov 2014
Promising first episode. I honestly like the new changes and couldn't even tell the difference with the new director

Cracked up at the end with Hinata proclaiming himself as the ball boy and the teacher holding back laughter at him. Tsukishima's reactions were priceless too as usual lol
Jan 10, 2020 3:41 PM

Nov 2019
Yooo the first episode of the new season of Haikyuu was awesome!! Lots of funny scenes especially Tsukishima arguing with Hinata man that made me crack up couldn't stop laughing. Also surprisingly the 2 ova's Riku vs Kuu just came out and i thought it was suppose to be aired on Jan 22, but I am really thankful that it came out early, really appreciate who uploaded it and looking forward to watching more episodes of Haikyuu!! To the top
Jan 10, 2020 3:57 PM

Mar 2015
Nikozuki said:
Promising first episode. I honestly like the new changes and couldn't even tell the difference with the new director

All things considered, Haikyuu still is a sports anime, the only thing the new director has to do is just follow the formula that has already been set in the previous seasons, so I doubt anyone will notice the change.
Jan 10, 2020 3:57 PM

Mar 2018
It's been hours since I watched the episode and I can't stop thinking about it...

I, too, want Hinata to prove his worth. BUT he is in the wrong this time. He needs to learn how to deal with frustration. He can't do whatever he wants and to hell with everything and everyone else. He wasn't chosen, he needs to accept it or compain, it's ok. Be angry, be frustrated, learn to cope with that. But don't go and sneak into someone else's team uninvited. That was disrespectful towards Kageyama and Tsukishima (who were chosen), and also towards the rest of the Karasuno team who were not chosen. If I had the power to choose a player other than Kageyama for the National team I'd have chosen Nishinoya, but did Noya go and join the National team or the Shiratorizawa camp uninvited? no, he stayed at Karasuno High, is he worth less for staying? NO. ABSOLUTELY NOT

But the little bastard knows he's good and thinks that that's enough to do as he pleases. No Hinata, despite all your worth you were not chosen, stay home, shut the f*ck up and deal with it. You have team mates ¿you know? It's unfair, yes, but life is unfair my friend.

Thank you for coming to my HQ-TED Talk
Jan 10, 2020 4:18 PM
Jun 2019
My God 9.0 in an EP where nothing much happens. Mal being mal.
Jan 10, 2020 5:05 PM

Jun 2014
So happy to see this show come back! I missed all of these wacky characters so it was fun seeing them again.

Looks like Kageyama and Tsukishima have some big opportunities ahead of them, meanwhile Hinata is getting the short end of the stick. Of course he snuck into that training camp though xD. Also both of the theme songs are great, as usual.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 10, 2020 5:11 PM

Oct 2009
So I heard the volleyball homos are back in town, and their shenanigans haven't changed one bit, as if they weren't benched for years at all. Awesome start, I couldn't be happier. xD

It's somewhat weird, though, that here's a series with its ... what, fourth season? Not to even count movies and OVAs and such extras... And it seems like such a long time, and yet both the chibi and Kags are still first-years, like, they're just on to December? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we don't have to deal with graduating senpai and all that, but how does time even function there?
Jan 10, 2020 5:21 PM

Oct 2009
KanekiKen101 said:
Ok, lmao this is just ridiculous. Myanimelist rating system is corrupt af. I like haikyuu, but a 9.08 rating from one episode lmao??? Chiafuru got bodied at like a score in the sevens and from what I heard(I haven't watched it yet) the anime is very solid, but salty haters just spam scores. Seriously, ima use anime-planet to look at ratings now, cause this entire thing gets more corrupt by the season. like just fall 2019 alone, the scores generally were not a good indication of how good the anime were

On one hand: long-time hardcore fans of a long(-going) series like this will inevitably always be the first to flock and swarm both ratings and forums, and those people rarely ever downrate anything, regardless of the title. So there's that.

On the other: yes, MAL's rating system is absolutely ridiculous, and that's been the case for as long as I remember. Nobody should be able to rate an entire series before at least half of it even airs, and nobody should be able to rate anything they haven't watched at least half of. I've never been able to comprehend why such a simple, common sense "countermeasure" is not implemented, tbh.

Best thing we can do, with how things are, is just ignore ratings until a series actually finishes airing, and then wait a few more weeks for the hype to die down and things to even out.
Then again, if someone picks what they watch purely on ratings and nothing else... I'd say that's worth another discussion entirely of its own.
Jan 10, 2020 5:29 PM

Mar 2018
And one of my favorite shows is back. Great episode
Jan 10, 2020 5:36 PM

Mar 2010
I have read this arc (Hinata ballboy) in manga 3 times. This season is going to be amazing.

I really love the underdog theme and this will just be the perfect thing.
Jan 10, 2020 5:54 PM
Oct 2018
Perfect start !!!!!! This is like 2 YEARS when I see haikyuu S1,2,3 and wow haikyuu is finnally back !!! I love it
Jan 10, 2020 6:21 PM

Apr 2018
Felt a little bit stiff at the start but after a little bit I get back into it. Always nice to see the club back together again. Really interested to see how Kageyama, Tsukki and Hinata will grow. Hinata especially as the pressure of the others is weighing down hard as ever.

Also is it just me or did Ukai's VA change? He sounds a lot different especially after coming back from watching the first season with my friends. The character design and art seems to have changed as well. It was probably just the fact that's in been a while but the background art looks a little off?

    I'm not lazy...
      I'm just very unproductive.

Jan 10, 2020 6:23 PM

Dec 2016
I'm feeling the hype in this first episode already! Amazing!!

Hinata have become rebelious! XD He couldn't sit still and not being invited to important games which was hillarious! And he's dead serious just by looking at his face at the end :O Can't wait for next week <3

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Jan 10, 2020 6:36 PM

May 2017
Wow wow wow... What a perfect opening episode. I just could not stop smiling through out the entire episode. Being back with all the characters immediately felt like home, even after years without them.. All of the karasuno boys are the personification of awesomeness.

The character designs have seen a slight change but I really don't notice it as much, maybe if you go back to older episodes and compare but the art felt extremely on point and the animation was just splendid as always.

The first episode setup the plot beautifully and I even think that it has the potential to surpass season 2.

So so glad that this show is back. Anime like haikyuu need to be cherished. Lets enjoy the ride.
shayed__Jan 10, 2020 6:43 PM
Jan 10, 2020 7:07 PM
Jan 2020
this season is off to such a great start and im so excited for the upcoming episodes. im real proud of tsukki and kageyama theyve always been two of my fave boys lol. the updated art and animation is really lovely to look at too.
ill be honest Hinata was annoying me a bit but I sense good development coming from it so i'll let it pass.
all in all, a wonderful episode, im really excited for whats to come!
Jan 10, 2020 7:10 PM

Jul 2012
saw that CR has made the two previous recap movies AND nekoma OVAs available so hop on that y'all.
i forgot how much the hinata stuff bothered me originally and it's still like ??? BOI WHAT ARE U DOING but what did we think he was gonna do ??? nothing ??? hinata ballboy arc is *chefs kiss* really important y'all

anyway i'm so happy with this, and for anyone asking, yes the art style has been updated. it's more inline with the mangaka's current art style and it works in the sense of dynamic character design and function. and yes, ukai has a new seiyuu as his previous one (tanaka kazunari) passed away during the previous season. rest in peace, you absolute legend.

shayed__ said:
Lets enjoy the ride.

couldn't have said it better myself
Jan 10, 2020 7:17 PM

Oct 2017
Haikyuu is back!!! This series is definitily one of my favorites, I was expecting for a long time, I'am really hyped and happy now.

This show it's trully the best example of how a sports anime should be done, since the OP and ED choosen, the plot and production, everything perfect.
I know some people say that what Hinata did was wrong and a embarrasing thing.

But I felt the pain when he wasn't selected, that must be hard to deal with.
Maybe he left aside his pride for this, but to me he made the best decision he could take.

Even if it's a little unfair for Nishinoya, that fact just showed up how Hinata harder wished participate than him I guess.
Can be a little inmature, but it'll be worth it at last surely.
-¡Give yourself to me!
Jan 10, 2020 7:35 PM

Oct 2017
Polly_S said:
It's been hours since I watched the episode and I can't stop thinking about it...

I, too, want Hinata to prove his worth. BUT he is in the wrong this time. He needs to learn how to deal with frustration. He can't do whatever he wants and to hell with everything and everyone else. He wasn't chosen, he needs to accept it or compain, it's ok. Be angry, be frustrated, learn to cope with that. But don't go and sneak into someone else's team uninvited. That was disrespectful towards Kageyama and Tsukishima (who were chosen), and also towards the rest of the Karasuno team who were not chosen. If I had the power to choose a player other than Kageyama for the National team I'd have chosen Nishinoya, but did Noya go and join the National team or the Shiratorizawa camp uninvited? no, he stayed at Karasuno High, is he worth less for staying? NO. ABSOLUTELY NOT

But the little bastard knows he's good and thinks that that's enough to do as he pleases. No Hinata, despite all your worth you were not chosen, stay home, shut the f*ck up and deal with it. You have team mates ¿you know? It's unfair, yes, but life is unfair my friend.

Thank you for coming to my HQ-TED Talk
I got where you are aiming at.
But things like that surely should be boring and Hinata would never had the chance again to train with such a high level partners.
Even if it's unfair to Nishinoya...It just shows how Hinata was more determined than him, in my opinion.
And we can't forget the fact Hinata is one of the main characters.
Despite that,I am convinced that Hinata is quite accustomed to feeling what failure and disappointment are, he is not a capricious boy who has always had everything. What's more, he has always known what it is to suffer because he has no chance of achieving anything, of giving up, of getting angry and suffering from it.
Remember that in his case he does not have the same capabilities as others because of his height, he is used to fighting even if it is impossible or seems out of place. I do not say that it is quite good that it breaks the rules, but that thing about it is unrespectable with Kageyama and Tsukishima seems too much to me, although they are friends, Hinata perceives them as their rivals. If Hinata doesn't fight to be better, nobody else will do it for him, that's how the world works. Either you take the opportunity or you sink without doing anything, or eat or they eat you .
-¡Give yourself to me!
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2020

176 by Jekkii1 »»
Apr 4, 9:04 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2020

69 by Jekkii1 »»
Mar 23, 4:13 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2020

94 by adbeaver »»
Feb 25, 8:59 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2020

107 by vit_ »»
Feb 18, 3:51 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2020

84 by Remotepaper »»
Jan 20, 8:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.