Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 9, 2020 4:40 AM
May 2019
Why people hating it just after watching one episode and 6.66 seriously?? I don't know what's the logic behind rating the series just after one episode when we don't even where it is going.
Or maybe it is too much for shounen-tards to handle??
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 9, 2020 5:23 AM
May 2019
I don't know what your talking about 6.66 is a perfect score LoL
This type of show is going to go over the head of the average viewer, not everyone can appreciate deep and complex stories, some may lack attention span necessary to enjoy such stories, alot of anime fans would rather watch simple and relaxing stories that don't require much thought process.
XstasyJan 9, 2020 5:31 AM
Jan 9, 2020 5:36 AM

Aug 2016
6.66 is best score by far.

are we really asking why people judge things unfairly? are we really doing this? you don't know the logic behind it because you use your brain more

>imagine rating a show after one episode in the first place
ViltasJan 9, 2020 5:40 AM
Jan 9, 2020 6:11 AM

May 2016
I don't hate it and i'm looking forward to this anime. I guess i'm just a bit confused after the first episode but i'm sure it would be explained later on in the anime.
Jan 9, 2020 6:23 AM

Sep 2015
Friendly reminder that ratings will never matter.
At least to me personally.

Critics,people,media they all suck haha.
Jan 9, 2020 6:50 AM
Jul 2019
Well honestly this anime doesn't deserve a 6.66..not by a long shot..ND idk why such retards exist on MAL.. anyways..ignore them..this show has a ton of potential..ND I really liked it's start..
Jan 9, 2020 7:06 AM

Jun 2015
Because most of these shounentards can't understand undertones and need the main character to yell everything obvious out to them.
Read Toriko!
Jan 9, 2020 7:42 AM
Jul 2018
The initial score reminds me of Occultic;Nine which was around 6.66 if my memory serves right. But this one started way more strange and unconventional from the very first minute. I really love to watch something very good untypical show there hasn't been much lately other than Babylon which is sort of mixed bag at best so really hope this gets better. Only real problem to me so far the color design feels unfitting and I feel it should had been somewhat duller like Kokkoku or last year's Boogiepop phantom.
Jan 9, 2020 8:17 AM
Apr 2019
the present and art is magnificent, it is not that hard to understand but you just have to really focus on what they say and what it show. I'm sure that the score will rise. The show was just started, And I will keep my eyes on this anime! It is not everyday we got something this level, it is challenging to understand what the show is really want to represent or tell us.
Jan 9, 2020 10:15 AM

Jul 2014
Lmao people expected some isekai harem garbage what else do you expect of modern mal viewers
Jan 9, 2020 10:48 AM

May 2017
I want to be hero or king of Smth, my best friend is my real rival, having the sword, competing to win the main character, boob fondling, nice ass, girls touching each other (but they are not lesbians, they love the main character, please don't mistake), red cheeks, cat ears and ...
Just some of the main components for anime that easily passes the 8 score in the MAL ...
If they watch something similar to a gay scene (only in anime, not in film or on television) their minds going blank ... scenes like this have the potential to cover the whole story ... you know, in their brains these scenes are very bold, can't stop thinking "what was that? F*cking gay scene !!!! i don't like it ... i want to take revenge on it ... ha ha ha"... Drop it immediately with a low score ... and find another anime that has the key components ... the story of some haters ... not all.
Masoumi-SanJan 9, 2020 11:34 AM
Jan 9, 2020 12:30 PM
Mar 2019
wow, a lot of people on this forum don't get rating systems and how they're "subjective".

Don't feel personally attacked when others don't like something as much as you do... it's all cool

Also: I actually thought this thread was gonna be about how they portrait "your friends are turning gay" and "your friend kills himself" as two equally horrible things to hallucinate about...... I'm kinda pissed off at that tbh
Jan 9, 2020 2:15 PM
Oct 2017
Lol Shounen tards? Nice nickname you got there, obviously perfect for any normies out there.
I can’t blame someone for their brain working so slow and just because it’s bit confusing from the very beginning. Moreover they decided to score it without thinking twice. I mean just imagine, they will not going to prefer the idea of wasting their minimal braincells. like some recumbent flat brains will prefer to score before watching.
Well it’s all fine, I’ll look forward to this anime as well, if it messed up ( like seven pooply sins ) then there will be no end to reprobation
Jan 9, 2020 3:16 PM
Nov 2019
Rodawi said:

Also: I actually thought this thread was gonna be about how they portrait "your friends are turning gay" and "your friend kills himself" as two equally horrible things to hallucinate about...... I'm kinda pissed off at that tbh

Dunno how about you, but if my friends (or rather, lodgers) suddenly started stripping off and licking each other's chests right in front of me in our shared compartments, I'd be pretty shaken. Like, take it to your bedroom for crying out loud. xD
For sake of clarity: I don't think there was meant to be any established comparison between suicide and making out; the aim was to create a trippy atmosphere, and that worked for me (the eye in? on? the wall? come on). Also the guy had been teasing the two kids about their 'gayness' prior to the hallucination (and I don't think it any stranger than if he'd tease a girl/guy duo in the same regard) and the idea began lurking around in his head, so no wonder that scene happened. Subconscious is a bitch.
littlecrisisJan 9, 2020 3:24 PM
Jan 9, 2020 4:06 PM

Oct 2017
Zeta-Ewigkeit said:
I want to be hero or king of Smth, my best friend is my real rival, having the sword, competing to win the main character, boob fondling, nice ass, girls touching each other (but they are not lesbians, they love the main character, please don't mistake), red cheeks, cat ears and ...
Just some of the main components for anime that easily passes the 8 score in the MAL ...
If they watch something similar to a gay scene (only in anime, not in film or on television) their minds going blank ... scenes like this have the potential to cover the whole story ... you know, in their brains these scenes are very bold, can't stop thinking "what was that? F*cking gay scene !!!! i don't like it ... i want to take revenge on it ... ha ha ha"... Drop it immediately with a low score ... and find another anime that has the key components ... the story of some haters ... not all.
I totally agree with you, I wouldn't explain it better.
-¡Give yourself to me!
Jan 9, 2020 4:20 PM

Oct 2017
Imo, a lot of people don't catch the same substance of some kind of animes.
It's subjetive, most of the people not like the same stuff than others.

Maybe what you can find really great there are others who can't stand it.

What it's really wrong it's give an non objetive score to shows simply in unfairly mode and without see the complete show just trowing it.

Of course not all the people think the same and they just rate as they want without regrets. .
-¡Give yourself to me!
Jan 9, 2020 6:57 PM
Jun 2019
Personally I enjoy it a lot so far and think it deserves a MUCH better score. It has a good plot and I like the complexity of the story so far, psychological stories usually get my attention. Don’t listen to the ratings, watch it and decide for yourself.
Jan 10, 2020 4:03 AM
Mar 2019
I hope some people here are actually joking. To be frank, I haven't watched this show yet, but did plan on it, hence why I'm here, so I can't talk about the quality of the show itself.
However, it just makes a show look bad if people are pretentious defending it; people can understand something and still dislike it - just because you liked it, doesn't mean everyone who didn't is an idiot.
Like I said, I pray that people are just ironically joking, but if you're not, come on man. Come on
Jan 10, 2020 5:25 AM
May 2019
Zeta-Ewigkeit said:

Well I'm stunned
No better explanation than this
Jan 10, 2020 6:39 AM
Mar 2019
littlecrisis said:
Rodawi said:

Dunno how about you, but if my friends (or rather, lodgers) suddenly started stripping off and licking each other's chests right in front of me in our shared compartments, I'd be pretty shaken. Like, take it to your bedroom for crying out loud. xD
For sake of clarity: I don't think there was meant to be any established comparison between suicide and making out; the aim was to create a trippy atmosphere, and that worked for me (the eye in? on? the wall? come on). Also the guy had been teasing the two kids about their 'gayness' prior to the hallucination (and I don't think it any stranger than if he'd tease a girl/guy duo in the same regard) and the idea began lurking around in his head, so no wonder that scene happened. Subconscious is a bitch.

This is honestly a very fair way to look at it, and you might be right. I just wish they'd have them be brothers or something. Then, at the very least, the shock value would be: "WTF ARE YOU DOING, YOU'RE FAMILY" rather than: "WTF ARE YOU DOING, YOU'RE BOTH DUDES". It just bothers me that homosexual stuff has to be framed in such a negative way.

Zeta-Ewigkeit said:
in their brains these scenes are very bold, can't stop thinking "what was that? F*cking gay scene !!!! i don't like it ... i want to take revenge on it ... ha ha ha"... Drop it immediately with a low score ... and find another anime that has the key components ... the story of some haters ... not all.

So for me, it's not that there's gay stuff in it, but that it's portrait in such a horrible way.

Knowing how Japan still is when it comes to accepting the LGBTQ-community, I'm somewhat sceptical about the author's intent here...
Jan 10, 2020 6:57 AM
Nov 2019
I loved the first episode.
Jan 10, 2020 9:53 AM
Feb 2019
6.66 is a cursed rating
♬ Tell me why Tell why Tell me what u want♬
Jan 10, 2020 7:22 PM
Nov 2018
It's pretty obvious. It combines genres that most majority of people will find hard to appreciate. Not everyone prefers to think while watching tv series, hence why phenomenal shows like Serial Experiments Lain only has over 8.00 rating. Remember, Mal ratings are based on what most people like. There is a reason why My Hero Academia is popular. Cause many are shonen-fans, many find it entertaining and most people prefer just simple action shows or escapism shows nowadays.
Of course, it's completely reasonable to be turned off some gay scenes, but I don't think we should judge a book by its cover. Besides, what do you expect from a psychological, mystery seinen anime who has some casts who previously worked on movies from Satoshi Kun? Long story short, this anime is not for everyone. It's mostly for fans of such niche genres that will enjoy this series.
Jan 10, 2020 7:51 PM

Oct 2017
Rodawi said:
Knowing how Japan still is when it comes to accepting the LGBTQ-community, I'm somewhat sceptical about the author's intent here...

"Knowing how Japan is when it comes to accepting the LGBT community."

Smug, arrogant, condescending... But it's ok because you're woke right?

You have no idea what you're talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Japan

There are a couple things that people think are important and the Japanese don't. Like marriage. But overall acceptance is very high and has been for a long time. Considering you could literally be put in jail for being gay in many western countries less than 100 years ago, Japanese history is light years better in terms of "accepting the LGBTQ community".

Honestly, that kind of attitude and the casual, unresearched attacks on entire peoples is the reason so many people have a problem with the LGBT movement. LGBT peoples greatest enemies are their activists I swear to God...
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jan 11, 2020 12:02 AM

Jul 2014
Been wondering the same...well, guess the average seasonal viewer, trying 20+ shows has to have what's happening shouted at him right from the start, or he'll overload his mind, thinking a lil' bit by himself

Jan 11, 2020 12:08 PM

Jul 2019
Thats why when you're looking for a good anime in this site you should only look at:

1) The synopsis
2) The studio
3) Genre

Ignore the reviews and the score.
Jan 12, 2020 12:39 AM

Mar 2009
You guys make this type of thread for every airing anime with a sub-7 rating.
Jan 12, 2020 12:43 AM

Jul 2012
let's wait it out and see if it continuously gets disliked in the episode discussion every week

this is super normal with unpopular new anime to get lower than 7
Jan 12, 2020 6:06 AM

Dec 2017
Zeta-Ewigkeit said:
I find it kinda funny how those "main components" are what repel me from watching an anime series. It sometimes feels sad and unfair to see some series that you like being rated so low just because it doesn't appeal to the majority of anime fans.
I just realized that all of my favorite characters, beside being stunningly beautiful, also happen to be exceptionally skilled murder machines. \('-')/

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jan 12, 2020 10:04 AM

Mar 2018
the anime is confusing and boring. i had to go to the discussion thread on reddit to understand what happened in the first episode. i don't think that is a good thing for this anime
Jan 12, 2020 8:34 PM
Jul 2017
For a show like this, I guess a good portion of the viewers would simply 'pan' the non-linear writing as 'bad writing' after the first episode and just give it a bad score.

It seems it is being released in the West in the traditional week-by-week fashion? In China/HK/Taiwan, the first two episodes were released in the first week, and the following four in the second week (i.e. we already have access to the first 6 episodes by now). This definitely help most audiences who are not used to watching 'mind-fuck' shows to stay hooked with it despite the complicated plots. The general reception of the show would probably be better it is done the same in other regions as well (it is very positive among the Chinese-speaking audiences btw).
Jan 13, 2020 2:02 PM
Nov 2019
Ifkr?
Some people are like "hurr durr I didn't understand so this anime is definitely shit."
Jan 13, 2020 4:57 PM

Feb 2017
"Shounen-Tards" ... It is heard as a word that someone who feels elitist would use just because they think they have an objective criterion.
It is not necessary to generate a toxic environment, some people only prefer direct messages instead of messages that pretend to be complex.
The truly intelligent person is one who can pretend to be a fool in front of a fool who pretends to be intelligent.
Jan 14, 2020 12:27 AM
Oct 2019
Haven't seen it yet so no real opinion, only came here to see if I might like to see it.

So just from the math.

The midpoint score for a 1-10 scoring system is 5.5
MAL's labeling system has 6 as fair and 7 is good.

This places this show as both above average and in the good range. This isn't hate.

Where I do see some hate, is in the criticism of anyone that doesn't like the show. That's both OK and Funny. Everybody's entitled to their opinion after all, but if you are going to call people stupid, you might want to use correct grammar.
Jan 14, 2020 12:39 AM
Sep 2018
I'm guessing that the rating for this anime will increase over time.
Jan 15, 2020 5:16 AM
Mar 2019
LagannX59 said:

The anime is not being homophobic.
First, if what you were saying made sense, it was his perspective (the "victim" of hallucinations).
Second, at no time is this shown as pejorative, they are just unexpected attitudes that go completely against the expectation of both the victim and the public. I mean if I was in that situation telling desperately to the two people I have left whats going on, I wouldn't like them to suddenly start and have sex while I tell them everything.
Third, the two protagonists are very close throughout these episodes and attitudes, attitudes and events are presented to us a very "strange" friendship.
That is, this anime is anything but homophobic.

From what I can tell, you are probably someone who has read the LN or manga. If you don't find any homophobic intent with the author, then that's great! The first episode made me personally very sceptical about it, and I wish it was handled in a different way so that I wouldn't get this sceptical, but I am 100% able to admit I am wrong if that's the case.

LagannX59 said:
You always want to find something to problematize.

I regret a possible unkindness...

Your drawing conclusions a bit fast here don't you think? Talking about someone or something you've seen for only a little bit... But look at me calling the kettle black ;)

kawaii123456 said:
Haven't seen it yet so no real opinion, only came here to see if I might like to see it.

So just from the math.

The midpoint score for a 1-10 scoring system is 5.5
MAL's labeling system has 6 as fair and 7 is good.

This places this show as both above average and in the good range. This isn't hate.

Where I do see some hate, is in the criticism of anyone that doesn't like the show. That's both OK and Funny. Everybody's entitled to their opinion after all, but if you are going to call people stupid, you might want to use correct grammar.

Totally agree! This is turning into a Rick&Morty fanbase quite fast. If anyone doesn't absolutely adore it, they must be too unintelligent to get it...
Jan 15, 2020 6:01 AM
May 2014
Andres_creig said:
"Shounen-Tards" ... It is heard as a word that someone who feels elitist would use just because they think they have an objective criterion.
It is not necessary to generate a toxic environment, some people only prefer direct messages instead of messages that pretend to be complex.
it doesn’t pretend to be complex though

It’s just not a direct message

The fact you think this show is pretending to be deep says a lot more about your inability to handle a different approach than it does about the show
Jan 15, 2020 12:30 PM
Mar 2019
LagannX59 said:
First of all, "you are drawing coclusions a little to fast"...
Are you joking, right?

Yes I was. I was actually making a joke there.

"the pot calling the kettle black" is a phrase that means: to accuse someone of doing something that you yourself are guilty of.

I meant absolutely no disrespect towards you or your point of view. But I guess the language barrier made that unclear...
Jan 15, 2020 2:09 PM
Mar 2017
The hate for this anime is just proof that nowadays the anime medium is more devalued than ever. If Baccano released today, there would be retards saying it's bad just because they didn't understand the first episode. It's just so sad...
Jan 15, 2020 2:44 PM
Dec 2019
RetroHead_ said:
The hate for this anime is just proof that nowadays the anime medium is more devalued than ever. If Baccano released today, there would be retards saying it's bad just because they didn't understand the first episode. It's just so sad...

I doubt it. Baccano wasn't boring like Pet is for me.
Jan 15, 2020 7:10 PM

Jul 2015
YossaRedMage said:
Rodawi said:

There are a couple things that people think are important and the Japanese don't. Like marriage. But overall acceptance is very high and has been for a long time. Considering you could literally be put in jail for being gay in many western countries less than 100 years ago, Japanese history is light years better in terms of "accepting the LGBTQ community".

Honestly, that kind of attitude and the casual, unresearched attacks on entire peoples is the reason so many people have a problem with the LGBT movement. LGBT peoples greatest enemies are their activists I swear to God...

This could not have been said any better. Absolutely true.

It's extremely tiresome and irritating seeing so many people spouting out that nonsense.
Jan 15, 2020 7:27 PM

Dec 2014
it is like one of those countless detective-alike anime with super natural power.

as someone who watched over 10 years of anime, this is nothing special nowadays, and it is definitely nothing related to shonen or whatever.
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Jan 15, 2020 10:45 PM

Aug 2008
most are young,or doesnt have the patience to fully understand,or lol homophopic,but also the other reverse, ppl that are offended to fast
if a character licks someone the anime is gay
if someone says that is sick fast are offended
you know i grew up with different typres of animes, and in the past nobody triggered so fast
The spider is watching
Jan 16, 2020 7:05 AM

Nov 2010
So what I'm getting from skimming this thread is that the show has gay vibes that are driving normal people away, and the ones who're into that stuff wonder why the others don't force themselves to watch it, like everyone in the current year should be forced to consume a quota of gay content to appease the gods of social justice.
Jan 16, 2020 7:35 AM

Feb 2017
i havent watched this yet but 6.66 is the best possible score
Jan 16, 2020 12:08 PM
Apr 2019
Viltas said:
6.66 is best score by far.

are we really asking why people judge things unfairly? are we really doing this? you don't know the logic behind it because you use your brain more

>imagine rating a show after one episode in the first place

I mean I rate all my shows when watching them to also see how my opinions change of the show and what not
Yes I do think it's making judgements too early but it's not like the score is final-
Jan 16, 2020 4:50 PM

Nov 2010
YossaRedMage said:
Rodawi said:

Even though it was more progressive than some other countries many decades ago doesn’t mean that it can be considered as such right now. The legal rights of LGBT people are still limited when compared to many developed nations (especially western) around the world. It’s not necessarily a bad place to live but by no means progressive either, which is what I think the person your quoted was implying.

The fact is that same-sex couples are not officially recognized in any way in most parts of Japan, which is a problem because they then lack the benefits and layers of legal protection that the traditional system of marriage provides when it comes to things like inheritance, housing, hospital visits and other social welfare services.

To my understanding the main problem for sexual minorities in Japan is the collectivist nature of their culture (similar to many other Asian countries), which generally doesn’t tolerate deviances from traditional/established social norms. The pressure to marry the opposite sex and continue the family blood line is still strong in Japan, prompting many to hide their sexual orientation. Coming out in general is also still considered detrimental for career, friendships and family relations. According to these two recent surveys most LGBT people in Japan are still closeted and hesitant to consider coming out:

https://www.daiko.co.jp/dwp/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/191126_Release.pdf - this one is in Japanese, but the important information can be found on pg. 5 (78.8% have not revealed their inclination to anyone, 14.5% to close friends, 5.2% to family and 3.0% to people at their workplace. The results are from a multiple-choice question.)

https://www.dentsu.com/news/release/2019/0110-009756.html - this one is in English.

The positive progress towards acceptance has been really fast in the recent years from what I’ve noticed (http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201901280009.html just as an example), and I do think that even legalized marriage could be feasible within the next few years. Changes in social norms will take more time, however.

As of now I can’t really say that the Japanese society is ‘accepting’ of sexual minorities. I’m also not insinuating that you were claiming that either, but rather just wanted to point this out (yes, I agree that the situation is much worse in many countries). I also have no intention to derail this thread further with this discussion.
Jan 21, 2020 9:22 PM

Sep 2017
People don't like to think, especially when watching anime. I can't blame them, it's easier to turn off your brain.

That applies to life too.

Jan 22, 2020 2:02 AM
Jan 2020
Hmm imo it’s not much the queer content bc I find that 1) it was framed in a way that made it blatantly not about “queer intimacy being bad” it was more of a challenge to loc dude’s preconceived notions of what water-dude’s and fish-dude’s relationship was. Also just like?? You ask consent before engaging in sexual shit in front of someone? It’s understandable to respond that way to two of your friends licking each other when there was no follow up and no asking for consent.

(Tho take it with a grain of salt since I’m a white-washed diaspora lesbian. I don’t know shit about what it actually means to be queer in Japan. A Japanese queer man’s take on that scene holds waaay more weight.)

I rated this show 6/10 because compared to other anime I’ve watched it’s just okay. I set feature films with similar sort of psychological/interpersonal themes such as Paprika, Perfect Blue, and the original 1995 Ghost In The Shell as a 10. PSYCHOPASS is a solid 7 or 8 depending on which season.

This is obviously a character-driven narrative but the dialogue often flops. Episode one was solid with how it set the foundation both for blond buzz cut dude’s character and how the protagonists’ supernatural abilities works.

Episodes two and three were a disappointment in comparison. They did barely anything to developer water and fish dude’s characters and teased a bit on their relationship. Instead it focused on two throwaway characters who don’t serve much purpose. This is a mid budget adaptation that will likely only have thirteen episodes. The creators have at most 220 minutes to complete the rest of the story. Probably less because it’s in in 25 minute weekly installments.

(I won’t go into detail but they don’t utilize their environments at all. The shots are boring outside of the dream sequences. Think about how many times there’s the smoking in the car dialogue scene)

It makes sense that people would be disappointed. Amazon did little to promote the show. I sought the anime out thinking that it would be like PSYCHOPASS at least, but it’s just Okay(tm). The premise is awesome and lends its self to being an exploration of intra- and interpersonal relationships as well as what it means to exist as a human being in relation to our personal experiences (e.g. trauma) and what it means to cope and survive as emotional and social beings.

Adapting static media to animation is hard especially with what I assume is dialogue heavy source material. It wasn’t done well but adaptation is a beast, so I’m not going to trash talk it and say it’s awful. It’s just okay.

I’m dropping the anime but am going to read the manga once I get my hands on an English translation.
Jan 22, 2020 8:23 PM
Nov 2019
I’m super excited for this one, as from the PV’s it looks absolutely
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pet Episode 10 Discussion

Ashhk - Mar 9, 2020

36 by JeanFranciss »»
Feb 18, 9:39 AM

Poll: » Pet Episode 8 Discussion

Ashhk - Feb 24, 2020

37 by JeanFranciss »»
Feb 11, 8:26 AM

Poll: » Pet Episode 6 Discussion

uninstallthegame - Jan 18, 2020

43 by JeanFranciss »»
Feb 4, 9:31 AM

Poll: » Pet Episode 5 Discussion

45 by Roch2001 »»
Nov 25, 2023 4:03 AM

Poll: » Pet Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

71 by Hooray »»
Aug 31, 2023 6:29 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.