Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 8, 2020 12:49 AM

Jan 2017

Challenge Period: January 01, 2020 to December 15, 2020 (PST time)
Use this thread to
  • Ask questions related to the challenge.
  • Ask for and/or give recommendations for items of the challenge list.
  • Post badges donations for the challenge (please). If you do, add this: @MRC_mod
    --- When donating badges, if possible, share the links within code tags (for easier copying)
    [code]image (s) here[/code]

--- Also keep in mind the signature restrictions.
    SignatureRestrictions said:
    Images placed in forum signatures must not:

a. exceed a total area of 600px width by 150px height.
    b. exceed a total file size of 300 kB.
    c. be NSFM.

Avoid in this thread

• Posting comments unrelated to the challenge.
  • Heated discussions (debates/arguing) deviating from the challenge.
  • Spoilers of any kind (use spoilers tags).
  • Double posting. Edit your last reply.

Please abide by the forum rules/guidelines (here)

Frequently Asked Questions

@RockRoller was kind enough to offer us his Google-Spreadsheet for the challenge.
It might be handy for mobile users or anyone who is sick and tired of walls of BBcode. So if you have a google account, you can save a copy from the sheet and work with that. Please make sure to read the "basic data"-tab on the sheet, which should explain how to use it.

If you find any glitches or have any questions, you can either contact RockRoller or us, and we'll pass it forward. Thank you again for providing us with this!

Thanks for the interest!
Join the discussion on discord and help others, ask questions and/or give suggestions related to the challenge.
MRC_modDec 15, 2020 5:09 PM
2024 Manga Reading Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

2024 Anime Watching Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

Discord server for MRC/AWC
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 8, 2020 3:46 AM
Jul 2018
"#12. Read a manga by an author/artist you don't know."

I assume this means an author whose works I've never read before?
Jan 8, 2020 3:51 AM

Mar 2016
Gythia said:
"#12. Read a manga by an author/artist you don't know."

I assume this means an author whose works I've never read before?

Yep, exactly. (don't mind me, character limit)
Jan 8, 2020 5:34 AM

Dec 2019
"54. Read a manga with a non-Japanese main character that takes place in the real world."

So Blood+ Adagio would count for that? The main character (Saya) is originally from France and the story takes place in Russia.

"Completed Manga (at sign-up)"

I read a lot of manga since the challenge period started, but the sign up started only today. Should I write down my current number of completed manga or the number of completed manga when I started the challenge?
Jan 8, 2020 5:35 AM

Jun 2016
Do One-shots count?
Jan 8, 2020 5:54 AM

Apr 2015
lucas147 said:
"54. Read a manga with a non-Japanese main character that takes place in the real world."

So Blood+ Adagio would count for that? The main character (Saya) is originally from France and the story takes place in Russia.

"Completed Manga (at sign-up)"

I read a lot of manga since the challenge period started, but the sign up started only today. Should I write down my current number of completed manga or the number of completed manga when I started the challenge?

Yes to Blood+ Adagio. And just your current one is fine even if you've already read manga this year.

Height said:
Do One-shots count?

Yes.

Jan 8, 2020 6:11 AM

Nov 2010
"[Started: DATE][Finished: DATE] #78. Read a manga that takes place in the countryside."

This manga counts https://myanimelist.net/manga/114932/Tenju_no_Kuni?q=tenjuu%20 ?

I think it's pretty much a village where they live, but it's 18th century so I'm not sure if it needs an history that takes place in our time period.
Jan 8, 2020 6:15 AM

Apr 2015
Kamirura said:
"[Started: DATE][Finished: DATE] #78. Read a manga that takes place in the countryside."

This manga counts https://myanimelist.net/manga/114932/Tenju_no_Kuni?q=tenjuu%20 ?

I think it's pretty much a village where they live, but it's 18th century so I'm not sure if it needs an history that takes place in our time period.

That sounds fine :) It doesn't have to be set in current times!

Jan 8, 2020 7:30 AM
Jul 2018
"#13. Read TWO manga by the same author. - Counts as two completed items!"
Just making sure, but does doing this mean I only need to have 64 items on my list in order to complete the "Manga Expert" difficulty?

Does "favorite author/artist" have to be someone in my favorites list?
removed-userJan 8, 2020 9:51 AM
Jan 8, 2020 9:07 AM

Aug 2015
I'm a bit confused on this. Do I have to do the lower difficulties so that I can move onto the next ones or can you just do the hardest difficulty? Thanks for any help
Jan 8, 2020 9:37 AM

Nov 2010
7kaneki7 said:
I'm a bit confused on this. Do I have to do the lower difficulties so that I can move onto the next ones or can you just do the hardest difficulty? Thanks for any help

You can begin at any difficulty, and you can also drop the difficulty at any point before turning in your form.
Jan 8, 2020 9:37 AM

Aug 2015
Orochiro said:
7kaneki7 said:

You can begin at any difficulty, and you can also drop the difficulty at any point before turning in your form.

Okay, thank you for clearing that up for me! :)
Jan 8, 2020 11:08 AM

Jan 2015
#87. Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread.

Anyone wanna hook me up with something fun?

My Manga / Light Novel Collection: EN | FR | LN
Jan 8, 2020 11:26 AM

Apr 2010
Demon Diary: Non romantic shoujo. The one-shot there isn't light-hearted (You can skip, it has nothing to do with the plot).
Harlem wa Yoake made: Another non-romnatic shoujo

Sorry, I read mostly shoujous.

Jan 8, 2020 11:29 AM

Jan 2015
EfiChan said:
Demon Diary: Non romantic shoujo. The one-shot there isn't light-hearted (You can skip, it has nothing to do with the plot).
Harlem wa Yoake made: Another non-romnatic shoujo

Sorry, I read mostly shoujous.

I'll give Harlem Beat a try, thanks very much!

Jan 8, 2020 11:38 AM

Jan 2017
Gythia said:
"#13. Read TWO manga by the same author. - Counts as two completed items!"
Just making sure, but does doing this mean I only need to have 64 items on my list in order to complete the "Manga Expert" difficulty?

Yep!

Does "favorite author/artist" have to be someone in my favorites list?

No, but it should be ideally one, that belongs to your favorites in a wider sense (such as, if I wouldn't have used all of my profile faves for seiyuus, etc., I would've used him/her/them/they in them, too) or someone, whose work you've read before also rated pretty high already.
2024 Manga Reading Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

2024 Anime Watching Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

Discord server for MRC/AWC
Jan 8, 2020 12:29 PM

Oct 2017
I really like the freedom of the challenge this year.

"#87. Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread."
Can someone help?
Jan 8, 2020 12:45 PM

Jan 2015
Bunille said:

"#87. Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread."
Can someone help?

How about the manga adaptation of Wolf Children?
I remember that being a pretty good shorter read.
Or maybe The Breaker? That's a fun one too.
If you want something a bit more obscure I read Shindou for an old challenge and really enjoyed it.

Jan 8, 2020 12:48 PM

Oct 2017
Horkus said:
Bunille said:

Can someone help?

How about the manga adaptation of Wolf Children?
I remember that being a pretty good shorter read.
Or maybe The Breaker? That's a fun one too.
If you want something a bit more obscure I read Shindou for an old challenge and really enjoyed it.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'll probably read Wolf Children then.
Jan 8, 2020 1:31 PM

Mar 2014
#87. Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread.

Anyone wanna recommend?
Something dark/horror or shounen/shoujo ai would be nice
Jan 8, 2020 1:47 PM

Mar 2016
Shuichi2 said:

Anyone wanna recommend?

I'd throw in the mix:
https://myanimelist.net/manga/3076/Vassalord (could be used for mrc staff faves (moi) as well)
https://myanimelist.net/manga/1962/Variante
https://myanimelist.net/manga/12451/Wolf_Guy__Ookami_no_Monshou
https://myanimelist.net/manga/377/Island
https://myanimelist.net/manga/1796/Dawn__Tsumetai_Te
Jan 8, 2020 1:52 PM

Mar 2014
Schlopsi said:
Shuichi2 said:

Anyone wanna recommend?

I'd throw in the mix:
https://myanimelist.net/manga/3076/Vassalord (could be used for mrc staff faves (moi) as well)
https://myanimelist.net/manga/1962/Variante
https://myanimelist.net/manga/12451/Wolf_Guy__Ookami_no_Monshou
https://myanimelist.net/manga/377/Island
https://myanimelist.net/manga/1796/Dawn__Tsumetai_Te

They all sound interesting, thanks :D
Jan 8, 2020 3:49 PM

Nov 2010
KuraikoDesu said:
Kamirura said:

That sounds fine :) It doesn't have to be set in current times!

Thank you! And sorry for ask this here, but the other thread was locked, but you are still update the users that finish the last year challenge?
Jan 8, 2020 4:03 PM

Mar 2017
If a manga obviously features a certain kind of character, is it still valid for a Character-Based entry even if the manga has no characters listed?

For example, this manga clearly has an animal protag even though the characters section is empty.
Jan 8, 2020 4:29 PM

Feb 2018
Fuck it, I'm gonna throw my hat into the ring

Jan 8, 2020 4:57 PM

Jun 2015
Hi~
I'm a little confused
Can I choose the items i want for completed the challenge according to the number required for the difficulty, whatever the categories (type, creators,years, etc)?

Jan 8, 2020 6:11 PM

Mar 2016
Kamirura said:

Thank you! And sorry for ask this here, but the other thread was locked, but you are still update the users that finish the last year challenge?

We are still working on them, yes. It may take some time to get through all of them, since a whole lot of people turned in in december.

BrainpanSonata said:
If a manga obviously features a certain kind of character, is it still valid for a Character-Based entry even if the manga has no characters listed?

For example, this manga clearly has an animal protag even though the characters section is empty.

Yes. If it is apparent on cover or synopsis what they are and them being MCs, you can use them. So Crimson works. Just make sure to give us the info in your form who the character and what animal it is.

Onodera_Riku said:
Hi~
I'm a little confused
Can I choose the items i want for completed the challenge according to the number required for the difficulty, whatever the categories (type, creators,years, etc)?

Sorry if they are confusing, that wasn't intended. The categories are just for organizing the list a bit. You can freely choose from the items #1 to #111 plus the Jokers and don't need to worry about the categories at all.

Have fun Ranzo!
Jan 8, 2020 6:20 PM

Apr 2013
Kamirura said:

Of course! If you check the @MRC_mod profile, you can see until which post has been checked. :)

BrainpanSonata said:

As long as it's apparent based on cover/description/character description, it's fine. :)

Onodera_Riku said:
Hi~
I'm a little confused

Correct! You can choose whichever items you like as long as you read the number required for the difficulty. :)
The categories are just there for better organization.

I got sniped. :'(
Jan 8, 2020 6:27 PM

Mar 2012
So........ what do we do when a manga isn't here on the database. Just change to another work?
Jan 8, 2020 6:44 PM

Apr 2013
glamazon said:
So........ what do we do when a manga isn't here on the database. Just change to another work?

You can always link to another database. :)
Jan 8, 2020 8:51 PM

Dec 2015
Could someone recommend me something for "#87. Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread.", please? ^^
Jan 8, 2020 10:17 PM
Jul 2018
Gwathgor said:
Could someone recommend me something for "#87. Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread.", please? ^^
Itoshi no Karin

(char limit)
Jan 8, 2020 11:04 PM

Aug 2012
So I am confused about this:

Does this mean that I can use any of these if the requirements I chose don't add up? For example, I chose 60 options, but it doesn't add up for the required 65 for Manga Expert. So that's where the above requirements come in. Is that correct? If not, how is this used? Or are they bonuses where it can exceed the required options?

Second confusion/clarification:

We don't have to use these, right?
Jan 8, 2020 11:23 PM

Apr 2013
Liaeves said:

Does this mean that I can use any of these if the requirements I chose don't add up? For example, I chose 60 options, but it doesn't add up for the required 65 for Manga Expert. So that's where the above requirements come in. Is that correct? If not, how is this used? Or are they bonuses where it can exceed the required options?

The "Choose your own difficulty" category is just that, another category. These are for better organizing the items.
However, it is a bit different from the other categories in that you can choose one of the three options in the item depending on how difficult you want it to be.

Such as: #109. Read a manga with less than 200/100/50 favorites. This can be "less than 200", "less than 100", or "less than 50 favorites".
But it can only be used once, no matter which option you end up using. You can't do both "less than 200" and "less than 100", for example.

These items are part of the item list like all others, so you can choose as many of them as you want for your challenge.
They're not exceptions, outside the requirements, or bonuses.

The MRC Staff Jokers, however, are bonus items you can use for replacing any other item you might not like to use, or if you're missing items like you mentioned.
You can only use up to the amount mentioned next to the label (10% of the difficulty's items), but you don't have to use them.
Jan 8, 2020 11:38 PM

Aug 2012
HeNrYTG50 said:
Liaeves said:

The "Choose your own difficulty" category is just that, another category. These are for better organizing the items.
However, it is a bit different from the other categories in that you can choose one of the three options in the item depending on how difficult you want it to be.

Such as: #109. Read a manga with less than 200/100/50 favorites. This can be "less than 200", "less than 100", or "less than 50 favorites".
But it can only be used once, no matter which option you end up using. You can't do both "less than 200" and "less than 100", for example.

These items are part of the item list like all others, so you can choose as many of them as you want for your challenge.
They're not exceptions, outside the requirements, or bonuses.

The MRC Staff Jokers, however, are bonus items you can use for replacing any other item you might not like to use, or if you're missing items like you mentioned.
You can only use up to the amount mentioned next to the label (10% of the difficulty's items), but you don't have to use them.

Oohh, I get it now. Thank you so much!
Jan 8, 2020 11:40 PM

Apr 2013
Liaeves said:

No problem. :) Good luck with your challenge!
Jan 8, 2020 11:46 PM

Aug 2012
HeNrYTG50 said:
Liaeves said:

No problem. :) Good luck with your challenge!

Thanks! Yours too, if you're also participating.
Jan 9, 2020 1:43 AM

Feb 2015

Any recommendations? (Something not too long, thanks)

And like the moon,
we must go through phases
of emptiness
to feel full again

Jan 9, 2020 2:00 AM

Aug 2012
#98. Read a manga that is scored higher than its anime adaptation.

This applies for Donten ni Warau, right?

manga | anime

I always get confused with the "higher" and "lower" numbers because I mix them up both ways.
Jan 9, 2020 2:13 AM

Aug 2012
awarii said:

Hanagaya Eigyousho no Kare
Jan 9, 2020 3:44 AM

Feb 2015
Liaeves said:
awarii said:

Hanagaya Eigyousho no Kare

Thank you~
Already looks so good *^*

And like the moon,
we must go through phases
of emptiness
to feel full again

Jan 9, 2020 3:58 AM

Nov 2014
Liaeves said:

manga | anime

I always get confused with the "higher" and "lower" numbers because I mix them up both ways.

Yup, it applies :)
Jan 9, 2020 3:58 AM

Oct 2017
Liaeves said:

manga | anime

Yes, that’d be correct as long as the manga has a higher score than the anime.
Jan 9, 2020 5:52 AM

Mar 2016
Read TWO manga by the same author. - Counts as two completed items!"

So just wanna make sure. Does it have to be 2 completely different series' or does sequels count?

Jan 9, 2020 6:17 AM

Apr 2013
Ryunuosuke said:

So just wanna make sure. Does it have to be 2 completely different series' or does sequels count?

As long as they're marked as different manga entries in a database, they count.
For example, JoJo 5 and 6 would be fine to use.

Genshiken, for example, has a sequel only in the American release, and only has one entry in the database.
That would be a trickier one, but I'm sure that's not what you meant. πŸ˜…
KazzeonJan 9, 2020 6:20 AM
Jan 9, 2020 6:35 AM

Mar 2016
HeNrYTG50 said:
Ryunuosuke said:

As long as they're marked as different manga entries in a database, they count.
For example, JoJo 5 and 6 would be fine to use.

Genshiken, for example, has a sequel only in the American release, and only has one entry in the database.
That would be a trickier one, but I'm sure that's not what you meant. πŸ˜…

Cool, thanks!

Haha yup. I was actually thinking of Cheese in the Trap which has multiple database entries so I'm guessing that would count.

Jan 9, 2020 6:44 AM

Apr 2013
Ryunuosuke said:
Cool, thanks!

Haha yup. I was actually thinking of Cheese in the Trap which has multiple database entries so I'm guessing that would count.

Hope you like it. ;)
Jan 9, 2020 8:24 AM

May 2017
@MRC_mod
I made some badges donations for challenge ^^

Jan 9, 2020 9:03 AM

Mar 2012
HeNrYTG50 said:
glamazon said:

oh so we can read works that are not listed here on MAL? didn't know that

thanks!

-x-

edit: and here i am again! just a quick question: are the ranks cumulative? for example I am a hobbyist. will i have completed the challenge if i complete 20 mangas or 30 mangas (10 from beginner + 20 from hobbyist)?

Also,

looking for a rec! the only requirement I have is that the manga is completely scanlated in english, spanish or portuguese. (it would be nice if it isn't a super long 100+ chapters manga because i had struggled with these before but well)
glamazonJan 9, 2020 9:10 AM
Jan 9, 2020 9:25 AM

Oct 2017
glamazon said:
HeNrYTG50 said:

oh so we can read works that are not listed here on MAL? didn't know that
Speaking of that, I've read a few manga not on MAL. Do we need any other proof of completion or is it okay to just list so on the challenge?
glamazon said:
edit: and here i am again! just a quick question: are the ranks cumulative? for example I am a hobbyist. will i have completed the challenge if i complete 20 mangas or 30 mangas (10 from beginner + 20 from hobbyist)?
You'd only need 20 for hobbyist. It's your Total Items Needed.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

37 by PlasticRobot »»
6 hours ago

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

66 by Oofmastre9000 »»
8 hours ago

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

8 by YeeYeeAss »»
8 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

376 by HapHazrD »»
Today, 4:50 AM

Poll: » Manga or Light Novels: Which do you prefer?

Digibutter64 - Jan 1, 2020

29 by Jutrio »»
Yesterday, 10:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.