Forum Settings
Forums

MAL Secret Santa 2019: The Great Reveal!

New
Jan 4, 2020 10:03 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
MAL SECRET SANTA
THE GREAT REVEAL!

First of all, A BIG THANK YOU to all of our SECRET SANTAS.

Annual Stats
 ♫ 1,305+252 initial sign-ups for the Rec Edition
 ♫ 175 initial sign-ups for the Image Edition
 ♫ 1,121+228 (↑636) Secret Santas for the Rec Edition after confirmations
 ♫ 154 (↓155) Secret Santas for the Image Edition after confirmations
 ♫ 1,233 (↑332) unique Secret Santas
 ♫ 238 (↑117) Secret Santas that participated in both events
 ♫ 32 Secret Santas that participated in all three events
 ♫ 1,503 (↑205) Secret Santa gifts
 ♫ 124 backup gifts, 75 elf recs, and 287 elf notes created by our elves, for no-shows or users who needed a bit more help

Numbers are compared to 2017 (not 2018) due to the lack of proper advertisement last year. As you can see, participation in the rec event was at an all time high this year (up 636 registrations) while the decrease in image participants meant our total matches/gifts only rose by 205. The difficulty level of rec matching is much higher than image, so our team of elves really felt the extra burden this year. Thank you to everyone for your patience, to those who participated for the SEVENTH year in a row (there must be some!), and also to all of the new faces who joined this year! It was super exciting to see so many registrations with less than 5 posts. I hope to see you all back for MALentine's or Easter~

Second of all, please take the time to give A BIG THANK YOU to all of our ELVES.

Elf-pyon
 ♫ Conde_Mohr—team leader, 4x elf
 ♫ lHououinKyouma
 ♫ Seshi_
 ♫ TlkanAbuto
 ♫ ImperfectBlue—2x elf
Elf-chama
 ♫ HallowsIvy—4x elf
 ♫ Cesars—3x elf
 ♫ stardew—3x elf
 ♫ Annarella21
 ♫ Chop_in
 ♫ Sekushi_Dhoppio
Elf-hime
 ♫ DeadlyRaven—team leader
 ♫ Natsuaki—3x elf
 ♫ Vongrak—2x elf
 ♫ Panni2000
 ♫ Redth_SA
Elf-tama
 ♫ Dancho—team leader, 5x elf
 ♫ Masuko-Senpai
 ♫ pokemonvortex
 ♫ rogueandtasty
 ♫ xHorrorGirlx
Elf-tan
 ♫ tingy—team leader, head elf
 ♫ awarii
 ♫ Daucus
 ♫ Haptism93
 ♫ MelissaWolf
Elf-rin
 ♫ Tensho—team leader, 2x elf
 ♫ FireFractal—4x elf
 ♫ Nate—4x elf
 ♫ Skittles—3x elf
 ♫ SpectralPoison—3x elf
 ♫ Mimurona

Our elves took the time to compile all of the lists, painstakingly try to match them so everyone would get a user they could gift to, send hundreds of PMs, organise all the gifts, send hundreds more PMs, give advice on images, write elf notes, quality check and improve gifts where necessary, and generally suffer through the chaos created by running this event during the busy holiday and final exam season. Without all of them, we would have gone stark-raving crazy trying to put this together.

Finally, please be sure to:
  Pass your Secret Santa(s) a big thank you, and possibly, some feedback on your rec/image. Please remember that it's near impossible to get a gift 100% to your liking from a person who knows nothing about you; I'm sure your Santa tried his best!
  Post in this thread, telling us what you thought of the event! And possible ideas to change things up for 2020.

See You All Next Year~
KinetaJan 4, 2020 12:34 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007

Anime Rec Edition (Part 1) a.k.a. Elf-pyon
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007

Anime Rec Edition (Part 2) a.k.a. Elf-chama

KinetaJan 4, 2020 12:36 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007

Anime Rec Edition (Part 3) a.k.a. Elf-hime

KinetaJan 4, 2020 6:43 PM
Jan 4, 2020 10:04 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007

Anime Rec Edition (Part 4) a.k.a. Elf-tama

KinetaJan 4, 2020 6:44 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007

Manga Rec Edition a.k.a. Elf-tan

Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007

Image Edition a.k.a. Elf-rin

KinetaJan 4, 2020 6:44 PM
Jan 4, 2020 10:44 AM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
Thanks to those in the Elf-tama team (sorry for the tags but I'm thankful)
@Dancho @MasukoSenpai @pokemonvortex @rogueandtasty @xHorrorGirlx

The rec this year was so up my alley that tbh it was the best one from all these years I took part (almost didn't join thanks to the previous disappointment!). It was a really good match and laughed so much with the flavor text that I'm definitely watching them all during the year. So thanks a lot to @ridojiri !

And oh boy is that a surprise!! xDDDDDDD oh man, now it all makes sense xDDDD
big thanks! I had so much fun reading the gift that it made it worth it to join. I haven't been able to start them due to several things going on, but I'm def watching them!

[edit: idk who's MasukoSenpai, sadly it's written wrong above @Kineta ]
=======
As suggestion, try to start it a bit sooner next year!
SheyCroixJan 4, 2020 10:48 AM

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Jan 4, 2020 10:48 AM

Oct 2010
Thanks to all the elves! There were s many participants, and it was really kind for you all to help out!

This was my first time participating in this exchange, but I really enjoyed it! Both the Anime and Manga reccs I got were my types. I could tell they both spent a lot of time trying to figure out the right series to recommend.

Because of this, I absolutely look forward to any other future exchanges, and hoping to participate as well! Thanks again for arranging this, you guys did an amazing job!
Jan 4, 2020 10:51 AM

Jul 2007
Holy damn, that's a shitton of participants.
As always, thanks to all the super hard working elfs! Big boi/grill elfs and smol boi/grill elfs!

I'm really happy with the rec I got this year, too. Got paired with someone that looked at my genres and I also had such an easier time recommending something myself! Thanks for that @YayakoChii !
Jan 4, 2020 10:57 AM

Mar 2018
A big shout out and Thanks to all the elves! This was my first time participating, and I really enjoyed it! (cannot wait for more events like this!) Both the Anime rec and Image I received were great...

@HallowsIvy Thank You for the great rec, and message I received...I'm now hooked onto my rec
@ZzRoninZR Wow...The Profile Set you made me is simply astonishing Thank You for the time and effort you put into it!

Jan 4, 2020 11:00 AM

Apr 2013
Oh I though the secret santa were gonna be revealed in DM, good thing I'm checking here

Thanks to all the elf that made this possible !
Jan 4, 2020 11:00 AM

Oct 2012
I will also chime in with special thanks for my elf note from @Conde_Mohr. They turned what would have been a poor gift into something memorable, and did so on top of running their whole team at that. I'll be making your gift into my 1500 Complete milestone, which is definitely a place of high honor in my mind.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jan 4, 2020 11:10 AM

Jun 2016
Of course, big thank you to all the elves that helped make this possible. However, I also deem it necessary to give a shoutout to all the santas that participated. Thanks for making this such an interesting event.
Jan 4, 2020 11:14 AM
トビアス

Aug 2019
Thank you to all of you guys for this beautiful event^^
Next year I will apply as an elf too, as a show of appreciation to all of you :3
Jan 4, 2020 11:20 AM

Nov 2016
Thank you so much to everyone who participated in this event and all of the other people in the elf team! This was my first year working as an elf and it was quite a lot of work but seeing all of the people enjoying it felt rather rewarding! Plus, I got to meet a lot of wonderful people through this event! And all of the great gifts I got made me super happy~ (just look at that Rohan signature, isn't it lovely??)

Looking forward to next year, perhaps I'll be free to help then too~

« If you want to be yourself, then you must become strong and beautiful. »
- Vil Schoenheit
🕂Anime List🕂Manga List🕂VN List🕂
♥ Credits to Shuuka
Jan 4, 2020 11:35 AM
Nov 2016
This has been my first participation in this type of event, and I really liked it and enjoyed it.
@TlkanAbuto
I really liked the anime recommendation, and I will certainly see it shortly, because from what I have seen and Tlkan explained, it has everything necessary for me to enjoy. Thank you very much for your input
@SuitonSekai
And what about the profile set, I found it impressive, very colorful and fair with the characters that I like the most, every time I enter my profile and see it, it creates nostalgia for me.
I have been impressed with how creative it has been, especially with the profile picture, and that touch of SSJ that has given Ebumi.
Thank you both, see you in future Secret Santa and happy year 2020!
Jan 4, 2020 11:39 AM

Jun 2015
thanks everyone for making this possible!! looking forward to participating next year too <3 maybe next time i'll do all 3!!

also would it be possible to talk to whichever elf left me the note on my gift?? i'd like to chat honestly, lol
fizzytasticJan 4, 2020 11:42 AM
Jan 4, 2020 11:42 AM
Aug 2018
Man I just feel lucky I didn’t get a guy with like 1000 anime on his/her list
Jan 4, 2020 11:46 AM

Oct 2018
Big thanks to the Team Elf-Tama and happy new year ^_^

🎆-Dancho
🎆-MasukoSenpai
🎆-pokemonvortex
🎆-rogueandtasty
🎆-xHorrorGirlx

Jan 4, 2020 11:48 AM

May 2009
Being on the other side was such a different experience. It was a ton of hard work, but also really fun. The elves are a bunch of cuties and I hope all the recipients enjoyed their gifts. <3

Time for me to message my own santas~
Jan 4, 2020 11:48 AM
Pecadorrr

Oct 2014
Rokanax24 said:
Man I just feel lucky I didn’t get a guy with like 1000 anime on his/her list

We separated people depending on how many anime they watched (or manga for the manga event) so such a thing simply could not have happened.

Jan 4, 2020 11:52 AM
May 2019
Thanks @Greeknative for the request of watching Booogiepop, I really enjoyed it. thank you!
Jan 4, 2020 11:58 AM
Sep 2014
Thank you to all the elves for their hard work! It really showed because this was an absolutely AMAZING event!

Thank you to my Secret Santa, @gladiatug, for the great recs! Looking fwd to watching them when I get on break! <3
Jan 4, 2020 12:00 PM
Jan 2013
@OffColfax Thank you for your fantastic and detailed recommendations! They included several series I was on the fence about and will now definitely be watching (unfortunately I couldn't get through during the holiday season due to familial obligations). I'm most excited for Fune wo Amu which I'll be watching soon!
Jan 4, 2020 12:09 PM

Aug 2015
Dude Thank youuuu for awesome recommendations!!! Both shows are awesome, I started watching them, and I am loving it. So again thank you @v_max
Jan 4, 2020 12:15 PM

Nov 2019
Pleasure thanks to all elves, thanks for the reccomendation.
good work! and i wish you have nice days!

Jan 4, 2020 12:23 PM

Oct 2016
Thanks @pokemonvortex for your really thoughtful reply and for so many recs! So far I've only started watching Tsugumomo, and I'm finding it really enjoyable, the animation is really nice too, plus I've read that there's gonna be a s2 soon, so perfect timing to watch it!
Jan 4, 2020 12:27 PM

Aug 2015
I'd like to give many thanks to Elf-hime and Elf-tan for delivering and bringing me my gifts!

To @HylianFebo : I must apologize, I am already reading the Yuru Camp manga and was planning on watching the show at a later date, but it must have slipped my mind to even put it in my Reading list. My bad. That said, I personally agree with the recommendation and I know for sure I'll greatly enjoy it in the anime format as well. :)
As such, I'm very interested in the few other recommendations you mentioned but didn't name. :D

To @Avajou : Woah, thanks for all of these! As my elf kindly pointed out though, Tensei Kyuuketsuki was already on my Reading list, I've already seen the ReLIFE anime (and while it didn't leave a bad impression, it didn't leave a strong one either), and Akagami no Shirayukihime is on my PTW. I also should have put Yona on my PTR, and I'll get to it eventually, that was my bad.

So now for the ones that I didn't know of or hadn't read before :
- I gave Tamen de Gushi a try, and while it looks really nice, I can't seem to wrap my mind around the order of pages...The manhwa form is usually pretty straightforward but this one confuses me. Still, I'll get to the bottom of it, and it certainly looks promising.
- I also tried Bokura wa Minna Kawai-sou, and so far I'm liking it. It looks like a fairly common trope and has a few walking stereotypes (as in, the MC and the OL mostly, but also the old lady) and some much avoidable fanservice in the form of one of these characters, but it's not like it goes over the line with those. I am definitely interested in the main girl and how she will be developped in the series.
- Unfortunately I haven't had the time to check out Machida-kun no Sekai, but laid-back SoLs are right up my alley (I binged Danchigai recently and got up to date with Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge a bit before that), so I'm sure I'll enjoy it as well.
Thanks again for so many recommendations!

Avatar and signature picture made by aryandil.
Jan 4, 2020 12:42 PM

Feb 2016
Happy new year everyone!. Is always a pleasure to participate in this kind of events, every year especiallly the Secret Santa event.

Big thanks to @Eldinis who made my gift. It's a pleasure to use personalized images and the time he/she took to make it.

Also I want to thank the elfs who each year works hard to create this marvellous event.
Jan 4, 2020 12:44 PM

Jun 2010
Thank you so much @k3ti for the pretty gift, I'm loving it <3

And as always, a pleasure to help out with this event. All of these hardworking elves make it an enjoyable experience. Glad to be part of it <3
Jan 4, 2020 12:51 PM

Mar 2016
Sorarin said:
I'm really happy with the rec I got this year, too. Got paired with someone that looked at my genres and I also had such an easier time recommending something myself! Thanks for that @YayakoChii !

I hope that you will like it. :)

And thanks for the recommendations @Mappington I will try to watch them after my exams, although not all of them. I definitely wont watch Clannad because I know how it ends. At least not in the near future.

Jan 4, 2020 12:55 PM

May 2014
I was in the Anime Rec and the Image rec.

First, thanks to the Elf-tama and Elf-rin for their hard work and pretty messaging! I still have all of them =D

I have not yet finished all my anime recs from @Meira_Eve's, but for now I am pleased to watch these!

Thanks also to @Tensho for the forum set. It seems it's not his first and I am not surprised! The effect is spectacular at first but it lasts well in forum discussions. I did a kinda "Christmas theme" too for my images, but I'm thinking of changing a bit since we're getting in mid January soon.

You can find the messages (black) and my thoughts here.

https://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=830863

And, last but not least, thanks to everyone participating in this whole Secret Santa 2019!
Jan 4, 2020 1:16 PM

Jan 2014
@piloswine

I've watched the first two episodes of Gourmet Girl Graffiti so far, and it's adorable! And the animation is randomly intense at some points, I love it! Ryou and Kirin are so cute together, although I'll have to take my time watching this anime or else I'll start getting too hungry.
Jan 4, 2020 1:26 PM
Nov 2019
I wanna thank @Tensho for a great Elf-Note. My initial gift was pretty vague (although I still appreciate the recommendation) but the Elf-Note really made it into something special and even included an additional recommendation! Thanks for going above and beyond to all the elves.
Jan 4, 2020 1:29 PM

May 2011
This was a great way to recommend anime.
I really loved it.
Happy 2020 to all.
Thanks @SparkleSpoonie
Jan 4, 2020 1:37 PM

Jun 2017
Thanks so much @luply I really liked the edits. <3
Jan 4, 2020 1:43 PM

Dec 2013
rubylily said:
@piloswine

I've watched the first two episodes of Gourmet Girl Graffiti so far, and it's adorable! And the animation is randomly intense at some points, I love it! Ryou and Kirin are so cute together, although I'll have to take my time watching this anime or else I'll start getting too hungry.

So glad you're enjoying it so far! It was a really cute show and the food looks great, haha!
Jan 4, 2020 1:44 PM
Dec 2018
Thank you @mikerjw and @Stardew for your recommendations! Mikerjw, I suppose I could of been more clear about how 24 episode is usually my limit, but however I’m absolutely excited about the recommendation you gave me! It took a few days to start watching Trigun, but omg I love it! I’ve actually been interested in trying out some older anime and recently been wanting something new! And a Sci-fi western might not be what I think of when it come to Slice of Life, but it’s AMAZING! I love the comedy! Also should note this is my first time watching a dub anime in quite some time! I’ve been ready for something new and been disinterested in a lot of what I’ve been watching due a hectic life and needed something different! And you provided! Also I started on the second recommendation too! I only seen a episode so far but I’m intrigued already! I actually didn’t know much about it and have only seen the image floating around, but it left me on the edge of my seat the same way that Death Note did when I was an 8th grader! Thank you so much!
Also thank you @Stardew the elf! I actually have seen the anime being a recommendation after I finish the “Disasterous Life of Saiki K” a few years back. However I have not yet watch your recommendation. But I’m interested and plan to watch. I feel guilty not getting to your anime, but my real life is taking shape and I’ve been more busy and less incline to watch anime! But I’m sure I’ll get to you as soon as possible! In fact after I finish my Art Appreciation homework for school, I’ll watch the previous week episode of My Hero Academia(Watching a week behind cause VRV) and then I’ll watch your recommendation! Thank you so much! I really appreciate these recommendations and it respark that interest little 8th grade Alex had! Thank you!

Edit: I’ve completed my Art Appreciation homework, watch my weekly MHA, and then I just watch the first episode of Hinamaturi! Thank you so much Stardew! It’s intriguing and feel a bit slice of life-ish although I suspect the next episode might have some battles in it! But I’m down for that!

With tomorrow being my last day of winter vacation I think I’ll spend it watching anime! I don’t usually do that type of thing anymore, but tomorrow will be special day for it! Thank you guys so much for the recommendations!
AlexThePotatoJan 4, 2020 6:37 PM
Jan 4, 2020 1:50 PM
Jun 2016
Thank you @santitaco for your thoughtful anime recommendations!! One of my friends got me to watch the last episode of School Days years ago... So I know how crazy the show is lol. It's funny I was thinking about watching it around the time I received your gift. Great Minds think alike :) Anyways, Thanks for the gift!!! I'll be sure to watch Boku dake ga Inai Machi when I have the time.
Jan 4, 2020 1:52 PM

Oct 2014
Thank you @Fario-P for the rec of Salomelic. It was a nice cute and short manga.

To whoever my elf was, thank you for the recs. I was already aware of the anime versions of Wedding Peach and Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne but I hadn't considered reading the manga versions before so thank you for that. I look forward to reading them.
Jan 4, 2020 2:00 PM

Jun 2019
@iSwitch15
Thank you for the recommendation, I will get to them pretty soon!
Thank You!
Jan 4, 2020 2:00 PM

Oct 2014
Thank you @Bode for your recommendations. Big O was great and Zettai Shounen reminds me of higurashi.
Jan 4, 2020 2:05 PM
May 2019
Thank you to the Elves for all of your hard work!! @Amasted thank you for the amazing recommendation of Madoka Magica! I finished it already and I really enjoyed it. It fit so much of my likes and I am very glad I watched it. Thank you again!

P.S: There is also a spin off coming out tomorrow that I am now very excited for!

-Santi
santitacoJan 4, 2020 2:15 PM
Jan 4, 2020 2:07 PM
May 2014
First of all, thank you to all the elves and support staff for making this wonderful event happen! We are indebted to you and couldn't be more grateful!

Second, thank you so much for the recommendation @Okami_Senpai!
I have begun watching One Outs at your enthusiastic insistence! :D I love when people recommend something with their whole heart and you certainly convinced me! I'm only a few episodes in right now and already see what you mean by the witty psychological style. I am also grateful that your influence helped renew the desire I had for watching the Psycho-Pass series!
Additionally, I am happy that we share our love of Gurren Lagann which I've already seen and enjoyed thoroughly!
Beyond that, I am totally stoked to finally watch Perfect Blue which has been on my to watch list for too long! As well, I plan on giving Kaiji a shot and see what I think!

Again, thank you SO much and I can't wait to update you on all the juiciness once I've finished One Outs!
Jan 4, 2020 2:11 PM
Apr 2016
This was the first time I participated in a MAL event and I must say I liked it a lot. I was very pleased with the gift they gave me (thanked the user in private and hope my recipient also enjoyed the gift) and you've been very good at managing so many users. Exceptional work, elves :)
JacobMOXJan 4, 2020 2:16 PM
Jan 4, 2020 2:15 PM
Jul 2017
Thanks for gift @Chocolate_1723
Sadly, I didn't have time to watch them, but I watched first ep of Kino no Tabi and I really enjoy it cause of his heartwarming character and locations + story. The 2nd was under my radar for a few time but I never really consider it cause it looked old and didn't wanted to waste time, but thanks to your hard work I will watch it. Have a great new year!

Now, Elf-chama, thanks for your implications in this event, was my first participation and I really loved it. I'm proud of you that Grinch didn't stole the Christmas even if u was assaulted by the great number of participants. Hope you guys had awesome holidays and did (or will do) great in exams. (from where am I we just started the exams :( )
Jan 4, 2020 2:34 PM
Aug 2019
Glad to have joined in the event! :)
Jan 4, 2020 2:56 PM

Oct 2018
Thank you so much for making this happen guys! I had a blast and it was an absolute pleasure to be a part of it. I'm really looking forward to next year's Secret Santa :)
Jan 4, 2020 3:05 PM

Jun 2019
Thank you so much everyone in Elf Hime involved in arranging my secret santa. I had great fun & really enjoyed watching the show I was recommended over the Xmas holidays.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Best Signature Design - April 2024 | Nominations

Nate - Apr 1

7 by Nate »»
Yesterday, 11:52 AM

» | OPEN | Best Profile Design (April 2024) NOMINATIONS

KarenShirotori - Apr 1

7 by _Ayase »»
Yesterday, 10:49 AM

» Best Profile Design (March 2024) WINNER

KarenShirotori - Apr 1

8 by Dyianaros »»
Apr 4, 4:58 PM

» FAL ace rule clarification

okthxbb - Apr 1

0 by okthxbb »»
Apr 1, 5:18 PM

» | CLOSED | Best Profile Design (March 2024) VOTING

KarenShirotori - Mar 20

24 by Roxana- »»
Mar 29, 8:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.