Forums

Anime Industry is Over Saturated with trash now days

New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Dec 3, 2019 8:58 PM

Apr 2010
SaintMerakle said:
Zeroflamez said:

Just because I have a preference of certain shows does not mean I'm overlooking other shows in genres I'm not familiar with because it doesn't have the types of things I like in shows I normally watch. And it certainly doesn't mean I need to watch more combinations of genres that are foreign to me to "broaden" my horizons. I could care less if the show is top rated in its genre if it doesn't interest me I'm not watching it, and that's what you don't seem to understand. And what I mean by interest me, is the plot and theme doesn't interest me, not that I'm overlooking it because it doesn't have a mix of genres I generally watch.

Seems like I fundamentally misunderstood you and what you were asking for my bad forget all that I said doesn't relate to you yet

That's cool but what do you mean by "yet"?
Dec 3, 2019 9:09 PM
Jul 2018
That's the same everywhere, just like how some companies end up publishing good books and terrible ones, or producing brilliant movies and bad ones (but this all a matter of one's tastes). It doesn't take much of an effort to find an interesting anime to watch unless you've literally watched everything (but I'm assuming you haven't). There's way more stuff than 'light novel adaptations, 'isekai', and 'ecchi' out there. Watch those! If you're sick of anime, why don't you try Chinese donghua? Keep in mind that you will also find some horrible adaptations among some gems but at least you can expand your 'library'.
Dec 3, 2019 9:16 PM

Apr 2015
hurrrrr durrrrr not everything pleases my basic ass taste so I dont even bother checking anything out because I assume is bad and if I ever do I make full assumptions based on 4 episodes or less so I am going to post my generic opinion as if it was the most ground-breaking hot take this website has ever seen.

Dude, most of you favorites are basic as fuck, you are the last person I will read this kind of shit from without laughing.
Dec 3, 2019 9:21 PM

Jul 2013
I agree with the part when you mentioned light novel adaptations, they are too comedic, too tiresome and too derivative. Just goes to show ya that modern anime can hardly occupy their own dark, gritty, grim and grown-up universe like say a lot of Image and DC comics. I remember seeing shameless intense violence in Hokuto no Ken and Golgo 13 while your average long-running anime tries be lighthearted in an irritating manner.

At the end of the day, some of us we right for assuming that this generation of anime is for kids.
Kurt_IrvingDec 3, 2019 9:28 PM
Dec 3, 2019 9:32 PM

Dec 2017
check OP's profile

mkay, my dude lmao

Dec 3, 2019 9:59 PM

Apr 2010
moshiyare said:
That's the same everywhere, just like how some companies end up publishing good books and terrible ones, or producing brilliant movies and bad ones (but this all a matter of one's tastes). It doesn't take much of an effort to find an interesting anime to watch unless you've literally watched everything (but I'm assuming you haven't). There's way more stuff than 'light novel adaptations, 'isekai', and 'ecchi' out there. Watch those! If you're sick of anime, why don't you try Chinese donghua? Keep in mind that you will also find some horrible adaptations among some gems but at least you can expand your 'library'.

I know there's more than LN Adaptions, I can always find something old to watch, but If I'm looking for newer stuff it's kind of hard to find some that isn't based on a Light Novel

fruits_punch95 said:
hurrrrr durrrrr not everything pleases my basic ass taste so I dont even bother checking anything out because I assume is bad and if I ever do I make full assumptions based on 4 episodes or less so I am going to post my generic opinion as if it was the most ground-breaking hot take this website has ever seen.

Dude, most of you favorites are basic as fuck, you are the last person I will read this kind of shit from without laughing.

Are you actually fucking retarded? If my needs were basic I wouldn't be sitting here making a post about how there are too many basic, generic Light Novel Anime being produced. I would be completely content watching every show that comes out each season regardless of what it was. Also why the fuck would I bother checking out something that doesn't sound appealing to me. Let alone watch more than 4 episodes of it? If the character art and synopsis does not peak my interest,I'm not watching it. I don't have the time to be taste tasting every Anime on the seasonal chart hoping one of them is good. And many clearly aren't good. Look at the seasonal charts for the past few years. Everything on average is a 6.5 or below in score with the few decent- good shows getting 7+ but never exceeding 8.5. I'm not for ratings, but a lot of people and likely yourself are. So going by those numbers a majority of Anime coming out is indeed MEDIOCRE to AVERAGE at best.
Dec 3, 2019 10:38 PM

Mar 2018

EcchiGodMamster said:
theres NO WAY someone whos been on MAL since 2010 doesn't know this thread is made every year

Or more precisely,

every season, every month, every week, or worst, everyday maybe?

To OP:
C'mon, let it rest. We accept your taste is superior and we know you're running out of interest in anime. Find new hobbies and let us enjoy what we enjoy.

Or try rewatching your favorite shows 831475296 times and make it a personal achievement. It works too.

Dec 3, 2019 11:05 PM

Apr 2010
Renkini said:

EcchiGodMamster said:
theres NO WAY someone whos been on MAL since 2010 doesn't know this thread is made every year

Or more precisely,

every season, every month, every week, or worst, everyday maybe?

To OP:
C'mon, let it rest. We accept your taste is superior and we know you're running out of interest in anime. Find new hobbies and let us enjoy what we enjoy.

Or try rewatching your favorite shows 831475296 times and make it a personal achievement. It works too.

Lol props for the Carl Johnson meme. But my post was never about me saying I have superior tastes and I'm completely fine with whatever people choose to watch. I have other hobbies so I'm good. I just think it's a waste to have so many Anime each season and so many of them being so damn similar to one another. On top of that the light novel medium is extremely exhausted at this point. Of course when the industry is pumping out a lot of the same genres it's gonna be tiring to have to dig for something that suits your interests and that's what people in this thread don't seem to understand..
Dec 3, 2019 11:40 PM

Mar 2018
Zeroflamez said:

Lol props for the Carl Johnson meme. But my post was never about me saying I have superior tastes and I'm completely fine with whatever people choose to watch. I have other hobbies so I'm good. I just think it's a waste to have so many Anime each season and so many of them being so damn similar to one another. On top of that the light novel medium is extremely exhausted at this point. Of course when the industry is pumping out a lot of the same genres it's gonna be tiring to have to dig for something that suits your interests and that's what people in this thread don't seem to understand..

No, I understand where you're coming from. For example, this season has 6 isekai and someone who hates isekai probably wants to insta-say this season is worthless. But the problem is that, like people pointed above, there were so many OPs like this since Day 1 on MAL, and most of them wanted to shit on people who're enjoying modern anime albeit I accept you're an exception. Superior taste or whatever is just my sarcasm to show my annoyance towards such threads. Don't take it word-to-word.

Tbh, I'm still low-key triggered whenever I see discussions like this. Because imho, anime industry is never in decline. There was once a time I lost hope in isekai genre but I tried giving it one more chance and now I've found some isekai I enjoy. Why can't people have that kind of positive altitude instead of blaming the industry as a whole whenever they see a bad anime? Sure, I have my fair share of shows I didn't enjoy but I was never like that. You have 29% affinity with me so I'm pretty sure there're still many shows you'll enjoy, never mind old or modern. Just expand your horizon a bit instead of limiting your taste yourself.

Or if you *must* have to shit on anime industry no matter what, do us a favor and find similar threads among thousands and agree with them instead of starting a flame war. I was a victim already with my long rant :(

Dec 4, 2019 12:39 AM

Oct 2017
Zeroflamez said:

TolkienFan365 said:

Okay then source it. From what I looked up Japan's Real GDP growth isn't that high (not what you are claiming) plus most of the growth is expected to cool. They just beat their predictions from last year. What statistic or source are you using for your assumption that the economy is just on an upward trend and will continue to climb? I haven't looked at as a whole but articles I had seen were showing declining manufacturing and exports. So I am all for being wrong but I don't see where you are getting this.

Edit: Are you sure you didn't mix up that Japan's economy is number three behind USA and China? Not that it had been number three in growth? I am pretty sure that is where you are getting that as I haven't found anything else in my quick search.

Also that's just one genre and to be fair it really isn't that different from what is currently out. It's just a combination of action and sports as genres with many of the same themes we see often. Hajime no Ippo Rising I heard did poorly so IDK where again you are getting that. It's not like there haven't been MMA or martial arts manga or series around that we had that sumo anime this year right? They haven't big big sellers though. I mean one series I liked Saotome Senshu which was a female boxing series I believe is ending soon. There are quite a few manga out there like that but many fail to hit the big time in sales.

Edit: Made a few quick edits after reading a bit more

It's not so much that they are doing bad financially but it's their population is shrinking and their issues with exporting that is hurting them. I said the Anime as a whole did pretty good, not that Rising specifically did good. It had 3 seasons and 2 OVA's. Several Video games, and it's getting a Stage Play. It was successful. To say it wasn't cause Rise wasn't received well is not fair. The reason why Hinomaru Sumo didn't do too well with its Anime is because I doubt many Japanese youth really find Sumo exciting, it's really really niche, but they at least tried to produce something different and I respect them for that. Even if a lot of these Martial Arts Manga don't have big hit sales, a fair bit of them were consistent enough to finish their publications without getting axed. That at least says something.
You also seem to be forgetting skipping over my point about Megalo Box's success. That was an original Anime as well as a sports/fighting Anime, even if it is spiritually Ashita No Joe. That alone proves these kind of Anime's can do well if done right and the content is interesting enough.

So again their economy isn't doing so hot which is my point. It's just seen a few surges in some areas. OVA's again are pretty restricted to the JP market and that market is a shrinking one. Yes anime as a whole is doing good industry wide. You made this thread though on the basis the current practices are bad and that's partially on the assumption creators would be doing better if they tried something else. Well the current industry is seeing more profits and growth than ever before but again there is still a lot of risk in making an anime. So again it makes sense to try and capitalize on things are doing well or are profitable.

As for Megalo Box I was honestly surprised it got a second season. I actually would like to know why. If it was TV ratings, merch or maybe even international support. It's anime BD sold horribly only 364 sales. I don't think the manga did that well. Maybe streaming IDK that's harder to determine. From other rankings it didn't seem like the Japanese audience was that interested. Still I wouldn't say it was that much of a success nor really a good indicator that said genre is actually worth taking a risk on. There isn't really any major recent series like that which have achieved mainstream success and it's not like they aren't being made. Plus again I don't really see how that genre would actually bring that much new stuff. Hajime no Ippo as much as I enjoy it isn't really that original. You can find all the same tropes in really any other common sports anime/manga. Megalo Box kinda shallow though had some good moments and nice style. It's still playing to common things that anime already does a lot of.

Again I just feel like your frustrated that certain aspects that you like aren't being cater to more honestly. Not that I don't understand but again I just don't really see where the demand is going to come from. This whole thread is just more like saying what it would be ideal for you or people like you and I can say the same but I got to be realistic in what the current industry is capable of.
BilboBaggins365Dec 4, 2019 12:50 AM
Dec 4, 2019 12:48 AM

Sep 2018
The World is Over Saturated with trash now days
Dec 4, 2019 5:16 AM

Apr 2016
And I'm glad I don't stick to just a few genres. Branching out besuto
Dec 4, 2019 6:10 AM

Aug 2010
but anime has always been slice of life and shonen action..... what are you even complaining about
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Dec 4, 2019 6:27 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Zeroflamez said:
the industry is pumping out a lot of the same genres

i don't remember a period when anime wasn't doing this

thats why i don't understand why you're choosing NOW to complain when you've been here for almost 10 years

also, as stated, you can't really be surprised if someone people aren't taking a thread thats made 20x a year seriously

especially with a baity title saying most anime is trash, well no matter what anyones opinion is, you're going to get people assuming your taste must be superior or something if you're saying shit like that lol

EcchiGodMamsterDec 4, 2019 6:34 AM
Dec 4, 2019 6:34 AM

Jun 2019
I pretty much agree, a lot of the light novel adaptations and Isekai are very samey. The only reason they've consumed the industry is because they're so popular in Japan.
Dec 4, 2019 7:36 AM

Jul 2017
Zeroflamez said:
SaintMerakle said:

Do the organization from least to most my dude and then what I am talking about would be clearest to you again there was a misunderstanding check the genres of your lowest count ones

Just because I have a preference of certain shows does not mean I'm overlooking other shows in genres I'm not familiar with because it doesn't have the types of things I like in shows I normally watch. And it certainly doesn't mean I need to watch more combinations of genres that are foreign to me to "broaden" my horizons. I could care less if the show is top rated in its genre if it doesn't interest me I'm not watching it, and that's what you don't seem to understand. And what I mean by interest me, is the plot and theme doesn't interest me, not that I'm overlooking it because it doesn't have a mix of genres I generally watch.

Zerity said:
@Zeroflamez i have demon slayer as an 8 and I love it, but it still is trash, and because of your response u do not have the right to make a post like this cause u cant handle someone saying an anime u like being trash. hence ur opinion is invalid thank you.

That makes absolutely zero sense, you rate it as an 8 yet you consider it trash? And because of MY response? you're actually surprised I responded the way I did to your original post implying that I also like trash because I like Demon Slayer? your original post was clearly a shot at me and I responded accordingly and now you're going Q_Q your opinion is invalid? Time to grow up and realize you're not always going to get the response you want especially when you're opening statement is basically saying their opinion is invalid because they like a Shounen that happened to do really well this year.

:feelsgoodman: just the kind of response I love getting out of people. but in all seriousness, a show being trash is subjective to each person, u might think cheat magician is trash (which it is) but someone else might think that every year or every few seasons we get a shit show like demon slayer, thats gets super popular and well liked and has the same reaction u do. (ik people like this) what im saying is if u cant handle a show u like being compared to something like cheat magician than u honestly dont have a the right to make a post like this.
Dec 4, 2019 7:39 AM

Feb 2019
Why do you even care, xd? There are, like what, thousands if not hundreds of thousands of anime in existence; just watch those lol. You don’t have to subject yourself to those supposed “shitty LN adaptations” if you don’t want to; just know, that they wouldn’t be so successful if there wasn’t an audience for them.
To judge others by your own standard is the height of folly.
Dec 4, 2019 9:05 AM

Apr 2010
Zerity said:
Zeroflamez said:

That makes absolutely zero sense, you rate it as an 8 yet you consider it trash? And because of MY response? you're actually surprised I responded the way I did to your original post implying that I also like trash because I like Demon Slayer? your original post was clearly a shot at me and I responded accordingly and now you're going Q_Q your opinion is invalid? Time to grow up and realize you're not always going to get the response you want especially when you're opening statement is basically saying their opinion is invalid because they like a Shounen that happened to do really well this year.

:feelsgoodman: just the kind of response I love getting out of people. but in all seriousness, a show being trash is subjective to each person, u might think cheat magician is trash (which it is) but someone else might think that every year or every few seasons we get a shit show like demon slayer, thats gets super popular and well liked and has the same reaction u do. (ik people like this) what im saying is if u cant handle a show u like being compared to something like cheat magician than u honestly dont have a the right to make a post like this.

I don't care if people compare an Anime I like with another Anime I don't like. My problem is you didn't compare Demon Slayer to any Anime. You just said it's trash, and because I like it, my opinion is invalid. The only reason I responded like I did is I'm tired of people coming into this thread saying my opinion is shit because I have a preference for shounen. I don't even think most Shounen is good anymore. I've only seen like 5 battle Shounen in the past 10 years that were created in this decade.

-Frost- said:
Why do you even care, xd? There are, like what, thousands if not hundreds of thousands of anime in existence; just watch those lol. You don’t have to subject yourself to those supposed “shitty LN adaptations” if you don’t want to; just know, that they wouldn’t be so successful if there wasn’t an audience for them.

I'm aware of the audience but there are also other audiences that would like to see something else being adapted or created. I don't subject myself to these adaptions but when they're plastered all over the seasonal chart when I'm trying to find something its discouraging.

EcchiGodMamster said:
Zeroflamez said:
the industry is pumping out a lot of the same genres

i don't remember a period when anime wasn't doing this

thats why i don't understand why you're choosing NOW to complain when you've been here for almost 10 years

also, as stated, you can't really be surprised if someone people aren't taking a thread thats made 20x a year seriously

especially with a baity title saying most anime is trash, well no matter what anyones opinion is, you're going to get people assuming your taste must be superior or something if you're saying shit like that lol

I never said I didn't know each decade had more of one genre coming out, the difference is an Anime season now is ridiculously heavy with popular genres. As to years ago it was maybe 2-4 for the popular genres.

ComboSmooth said:
but anime has always been slice of life and shonen action..... what are you even complaining about

No it hasn't been..

TolkienFan365 said:
Zeroflamez said:

It's not so much that they are doing bad financially but it's their population is shrinking and their issues with exporting that is hurting them. I said the Anime as a whole did pretty good, not that Rising specifically did good. It had 3 seasons and 2 OVA's. Several Video games, and it's getting a Stage Play. It was successful. To say it wasn't cause Rise wasn't received well is not fair. The reason why Hinomaru Sumo didn't do too well with its Anime is because I doubt many Japanese youth really find Sumo exciting, it's really really niche, but they at least tried to produce something different and I respect them for that. Even if a lot of these Martial Arts Manga don't have big hit sales, a fair bit of them were consistent enough to finish their publications without getting axed. That at least says something.
You also seem to be forgetting skipping over my point about Megalo Box's success. That was an original Anime as well as a sports/fighting Anime, even if it is spiritually Ashita No Joe. That alone proves these kind of Anime's can do well if done right and the content is interesting enough.

So again their economy isn't doing so hot which is my point. It's just seen a few surges in some areas. OVA's again are pretty restricted to the JP market and that market is a shrinking one. Yes anime as a whole is doing good industry wide. You made this thread though on the basis the current practices are bad and that's partially on the assumption creators would be doing better if they tried something else. Well the current industry is seeing more profits and growth than ever before but again there is still a lot of risk in making an anime. So again it makes sense to try and capitalize on things are doing well or are profitable.

As for Megalo Box I was honestly surprised it got a second season. I actually would like to know why. If it was TV ratings, merch or maybe even international support. It's anime BD sold horribly only 364 sales. I don't think the manga did that well. Maybe streaming IDK that's harder to determine. From other rankings it didn't seem like the Japanese audience was that interested. Still I wouldn't say it was that much of a success nor really a good indicator that said genre is actually worth taking a risk on. There isn't really any major recent series like that which have achieved mainstream success and it's not like they aren't being made. Plus again I don't really see how that genre would actually bring that much new stuff. Hajime no Ippo as much as I enjoy it isn't really that original. You can find all the same tropes in really any other common sports anime/manga. Megalo Box kinda shallow though had some good moments and nice style. It's still playing to common things that anime already does a lot of.

Again I just feel like your frustrated that certain aspects that you like aren't being cater to more honestly. Not that I don't understand but again I just don't really see where the demand is going to come from. This whole thread is just more like saying what it would be ideal for you or people like you and I can say the same but I got to be realistic in what the current industry is capable of.

If it's not popular, industry won't touch it.. I get that. It just sucks for fans of titles that are not conventionally popular. Especially for fans that would like to support these kind of Anime adaptions.
Dec 4, 2019 9:09 AM

Jul 2017
Water-sama said:
ghostliness said:
One man's trash is another man's treasure.
Taste is subjective.

I wouldn't be able to take someone serious if they said Sword Art Online Season 1 was good. I'd immediately assume that they haven't seen much Anime. Also, Honestly, I'd very much think that they are mentally inferior. Or, just a Normie.

To be fair, sword art online season 1 was pretty good to be honest, and i've seen my fair share of anime. I guess i'm being a bit biased since it was one of the first "real anime" i got into. What i mean by real anime is that, it's not shows like pokemon or yugioh that you watched when you were growing up.
Dec 4, 2019 9:11 AM
Apr 2016
I wonder why this is still going... Oh right, because this is MAL. Standards, standards...
Zeroflamez said:

You wish your slice of life had the production values of Demon Slayer. Stay mad.

Production values mean little when the content itself is of third rate. A well-refined repeat of tropes and ideas from numerous series before. The setting itself is the only original thought given by the author. When I saw your opening remarks, I immediately imagined all those series like Kimetsu no Yaiba. You were right, in a sense.
Shinjiitsu said:
Water-sama said:

I wouldn't be able to take someone serious if they said Sword Art Online Season 1 was good. I'd immediately assume that they haven't seen much Anime. Also, Honestly, I'd very much think that they are mentally inferior. Or, just a Normie.

To be fair, sword art online season 1 was pretty good to be honest, and i've seen my fair share of anime. I guess i'm being a bit biased since it was one of the first "real anime" i got into. What i mean by real anime is that, it's not shows like pokemon or yugioh that you watched when you were growing up.

And it still is, while it might have started like a children show with virtual reality and a cruel twist, it has gradually developed into an extensive science-fiction narrative that also scratches topics like family, society, overtechnology and A.I. development. I still have not seen a single decent argument as to why Sword Art Online is bad. Being conveniently succinctly told it is bad for the 101th time does not make me suddenly realize it, rednecks.
Daniel_NaumovDec 4, 2019 9:15 AM
Re:formed
Dec 4, 2019 9:11 AM

Jul 2017
@Zeroflamez I didnt say cause u liked demon slayer ur opinion is invalid i said the way u responded to me made ur opinion invalid. im not attacking ur taste, shounen is one of my fav generes too, im saying that ur post stating, we get shit every season, yet when i called demon slayer out u got upset than made anything u would of said to me be void. like i said before im not attacking ur fav genre im attacking on the way u handled it.

also cause u called out shows/genres other people liked but cant handle people attacking ur own just make ur opinions even less valid.
ZerityDec 4, 2019 9:15 AM
Dec 4, 2019 9:51 AM

May 2016
Zeroflamez said:
How is that rich? he said himself he wasn't sure of their economic state in the present. I did a bit of light research, I said politely that he was wrong. He did more in depth research and proposed I very well am I wrong. I did more in depth research and it turns out I am wrong on somethings. I am completely fine with being wrong if I'm being told in a respectable and manner. What I'm not fine with is when people like you feel the need to belittle others and call them brainlets just because they may not be as informed about something as you are.
I'm fine with belittling you though. Like you've literally just here admitted to doing light research, all of which was wrong by the way, and then come back to debate with him without even confirming whether or not he was right. Like for someone who has strong opinions on anime and Japan's capacity to fund the industry, you'd think you'd know better about whether Japan was doing well economically but that's too big of an ask these days it seems.

Zeroflamez said:
Merchandise still does sell. Gundam Model Kits still are selling well. Anime figures are still being produced and selling. So you're not right about that. I collect Anime figures specifically. If anything the Merch side of Anime feels like it has had growth this decade. Anime merchandise's market is not just Japan. It's global now.
Wow, you buy merchandise. I didn't know you accounted for the vast majority of merchandise sales worldwide and thus you can definitively anecdotally prove that merchandise is still alive.

You do know that merchandising of real products has dramatically declined right? Like when you made these assertions, did you read the industry reports or do you make up everything from what you see at a convention or an online stream of Comiket? With respect to merchandising the focus is shift from physical to digital good i.e. the gaming space/online content. Many of the increases in real product merchandising has more to do with women's products than the figurines or mecha kits you're referring to. See the 2018 industry report:

So when you say it "feels" like it's grown this decade, you really should say it's fallen by 11.5%. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And by the way, merchandising wasn't even the point. It was a combination of lower merchandise sales and, more importantly, a lot of the old classical directors no longer directing as many titles and the social atmosphere that has lowered the appeal of mecha for a modern/contemporary audience.

With respect to mecha, and any genre that loses relevance by the way, you're essentially like those people who complain about why there isn't any cyberpunk anymore, when those people have zero understanding of the social/historical/aesthetic reasons why cyberpunk even came to prominence.
YudinaDec 4, 2019 10:02 AM
Dec 4, 2019 10:45 AM

Oct 2018
Well, no one is forcing you to watch any of these "shitty" seasonal shows. They're also tons of classic anime that you've probably haven't seen.
Dec 4, 2019 11:06 AM

Oct 2017
@Zeroflamez

Yeah I mean look I want to see more well adapted war dramas like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Saga of Tanya the Evil or a good Kingdom adaption. I want actually good traditional Western high fantasy (anime hasn't been great about doing stories around it no matter what era). I want more historic titles. While I don't mind and enjoy teen characters I definitely wouldn't mind see more older MC's for variety sake. Though I got to be honest with myself how often do these titles make it big? For bigger mainstream success it's more towards the YA market and the genres I am talking about aren't super popular or aren't done in a way I often like. That's it.

I can't expect production committees are studios to take large risks just to cater to me and my small fanbase of likeminded people. All I can hope is the market in cheaper mediums like manga or LN (where the risk is minimal) does grow so it can show that there is more of a market for x content. Plus you still occasionally get a few shows/manga here and there.

Edit: (Also I will say even though I know you guys are going at each other there are a ton of SOL titles that have incredibly high production so that isn't really a burn)
BilboBaggins365Dec 4, 2019 11:10 AM
Dec 4, 2019 1:34 PM

Jan 2019
@Daniel_Naumov

For Starters, Sword Art Online is boring as hell. Very Predictable, and Makes no Sense. I only watched Season 1. Anytime Kirito wasn't dramatically overpowering an enemy, Yui-chan would fight for him, or his fight would be weak, fast, and boring as hell.
Dec 4, 2019 1:39 PM
Apr 2016
Water-sama said:
@Daniel_Naumov

For Starters, Sword Art Online is boring as hell. Very Predictable, and Makes no Sense. I only watched Season 1. Anytime Kirito wasn't dramatically overpowering an enemy, Yui-chan would fight for him, or his fight would be weak, fast, and boring as hell.

And you still did not make any proper points which would qualify for a "critique". Why is it boring? Because it is "Very Predictable"? What is "bad" about predictability? Series are build from tropes, if you are able to predict the tropes which will happen based on the elements already shown - either you are an experienced viewer, or the series did a great job foreshadowing the development. Or even both, in some cases.

What does "Makes no Sense" mean? This kind of argument is absolutely... nonsensical if you do not specify "why" do YOU think and say that it makes no sense. "weak, fast, boring" fights... Is fights all you care about? Because the series is about much more than fights, although the choreography and animation of many important fights leave many other action series wanting. Though most of it happens from 2nd season onwards.

You said you have only seen the first season. Great, you do not know then what a grand thing Sword Art Online is as a whole. Maybe it actually stopped being "boring" after the first season. You never found out.
Dec 4, 2019 1:50 PM

Oct 2018
Zeroflamez said:
Even if that is the case. Top studios can still produce different kinds of stuff and they are the only ones that normally do.
Then just watch stuff from those studios. The rest will continue to adjust for the domestic market. Are you advocating for change or something?
Dec 4, 2019 2:27 PM

Dec 2016
Just get over yourself! It's not there fault you only watch mecha and shounen anime. You just have sh!t taste at the end of the day.
StrangerZzDec 4, 2019 2:36 PM
Dec 4, 2019 3:07 PM

Jan 2019
@Daniel_Naumov

"This kind of argument is absolutely... nonsensical if you do not specify"
Okay, I will specify why Sword Art Online is bad and boring.

Everything was way too predictable. Ep 1, Lemme guess, you won't be able to log out. Alright, That's a freebie. Girl beside water, looks pretty sad, yep. She's suicidal. A fight worth watch watching? Never. People are being "assassinated" in non-pvp zones. Girl has her back facing towards the window that's open but somehow, she's trying to not get assassinated. Took them amazingly too long to figure that out. Did the creator think that was clever or smart? Smh, cause it wasn't. At all.

Lack of Threat. Everything was already boring but the Lack of Threat in Sword Art Online was unbearable. When you are always more powerful than your enemies, or have an AI fight for you. Or you fights last a few slashes and then end. Yeah, that's not a very engaging experience. Nothing about the story of a boy who seemingly doesn't have to put in any REAL effort makes me want to watch it more. Spongebob has more action than this show, and it's more engaging.

We have Asuna crying over a dead video game character. Lol, was that some attempt at emotion? Making the viewer try to feel bad for her or something? Alright. Kirito uses the Game Account that was conveniently left open by some GM/moderator guy. Moderators have the ability to edit the game...

-If you use the NerveGear Set to get into the game
-How do you use a different game account, INSIDE OF THE GAME, Without moving to another NerveGear
-How do you Login into the Game again, from Inside of the Game. Without what it takes to login....
-How does that GM Account, edit a part of the Game. While the game is running.
-How is a boy who never helped create this video game, able to edit the source code in a few seconds, and recompile it, while its running.
-He takes the AI and turns it into an Item and programmed it to do what he wants it to do. An item in a game is just code. An AI is programmed with Code to do certain things.
-You had the power to Edit part of the Game itself but you couldn't log anyone out. Which was the whole point of your struggle. TO GET OUT.

Episode 14. The Fight with the Creator.
-How does Kirito come back to life after his health bar depleted
-If you die in the game, your brain gets fried.
-Kirito dies in-game and comes back inside of the game seconds after dying. Even though, creator killed him. (Without taking fatal damage)
-Even though creator was just beating you, you come back to life face to face with creator-san, looking badass for a few seconds. Somehow you step straight forward and stab him in the chest after all of your other attacks did NOTHING to hurt him.
-Creator didn't try to block, or avoid the attack. He just sat there, then Smiled.

Made no sense...

"Great, you do not know then what a grand thing Sword Art Online is as a whole. Maybe it actually stopped being "boring" after the first season. You never found out."

So what? I wont and I don't care.... Why would I continue to see something if the beginning was garbage to me? You actually think that I'd waste more time. It's almost like you're mad because I think its boring but wont waste even more Hours to see the POSSIBLE good parts.
Dec 4, 2019 3:18 PM

Apr 2010
Yudina said:
Zeroflamez said:
How is that rich? he said himself he wasn't sure of their economic state in the present. I did a bit of light research, I said politely that he was wrong. He did more in depth research and proposed I very well am I wrong. I did more in depth research and it turns out I am wrong on somethings. I am completely fine with being wrong if I'm being told in a respectable and manner. What I'm not fine with is when people like you feel the need to belittle others and call them brainlets just because they may not be as informed about something as you are.
I'm fine with belittling you though. Like you've literally just here admitted to doing light research, all of which was wrong by the way, and then come back to debate with him without even confirming whether or not he was right. Like for someone who has strong opinions on anime and Japan's capacity to fund the industry, you'd think you'd know better about whether Japan was doing well economically but that's too big of an ask these days it seems.

Zeroflamez said:
Merchandise still does sell. Gundam Model Kits still are selling well. Anime figures are still being produced and selling. So you're not right about that. I collect Anime figures specifically. If anything the Merch side of Anime feels like it has had growth this decade. Anime merchandise's market is not just Japan. It's global now.
Wow, you buy merchandise. I didn't know you accounted for the vast majority of merchandise sales worldwide and thus you can definitively anecdotally prove that merchandise is still alive.

You do know that merchandising of real products has dramatically declined right? Like when you made these assertions, did you read the industry reports or do you make up everything from what you see at a convention or an online stream of Comiket? With respect to merchandising the focus is shift from physical to digital good i.e. the gaming space/online content. Many of the increases in real product merchandising has more to do with women's products than the figurines or mecha kits you're referring to. See the 2018 industry report:

So when you say it "feels" like it's grown this decade, you really should say it's fallen by 11.5%. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And by the way, merchandising wasn't even the point. It was a combination of lower merchandise sales and, more importantly, a lot of the old classical directors no longer directing as many titles and the social atmosphere that has lowered the appeal of mecha for a modern/contemporary audience.

With respect to mecha, and any genre that loses relevance by the way, you're essentially like those people who complain about why there isn't any cyberpunk anymore, when those people have zero understanding of the social/historical/aesthetic reasons why cyberpunk even came to prominence.

I said it FEELS like there is growth, I never said it as a fact. I also never said I account for the vast majority of the market. But there are still countless communities online, world wide that are investing into this market and the number of online shops globally selling these products prove that it is still alive. This also includes many domestic retailers in other Country's selling these products as well. Also, regardless of the decline after 2014 this decade still did SIGNIFICANTLY better than last decade. Just because it has declined does not mean there can't be an increase next decade. the 2000's started good and declined drastically until 2010.
Dec 4, 2019 3:30 PM
Jul 2018
As it always been. And no 90's crowd evangelion didn't save it. It doomed us all.
Dec 4, 2019 3:42 PM

Apr 2010
zagzee said:
Zeroflamez said:
Even if that is the case. Top studios can still produce different kinds of stuff and they are the only ones that normally do.
Then just watch stuff from those studios. The rest will continue to adjust for the domestic market. Are you advocating for change or something?

I do watch from those studios already. Yes I am advocating for change. It's been 10 years of these adaptions dominating. I'd like to see the trend change even if it ends up being something I end up not liking either.

Krav40 said:
Well, no one is forcing you to watch any of these "shitty" seasonal shows. They're also tons of classic anime that you've probably haven't seen.

I'm still watching older shows, but perhaps I'd like to see something new that appeals to me too as well? I'm not saying LN's need to be abolished, I just want the trend to change already. I don't even care if it's changed to something I don't like. It's been 10 years, it's time.
Zerity said:
@Zeroflamez I didnt say cause u liked demon slayer ur opinion is invalid i said the way u responded to me made ur opinion invalid. im not attacking ur taste, shounen is one of my fav generes too, im saying that ur post stating, we get shit every season, yet when i called demon slayer out u got upset than made anything u would of said to me be void. like i said before im not attacking ur fav genre im attacking on the way u handled it.

also cause u called out shows/genres other people liked but cant handle people attacking ur own just make ur opinions even less valid.

Your initial post wasn't clear on what you were implying. You just said "Demon Slayer is trash and you watched Demon Slayer, so" that was it. What am I supposed to take that as? If you want a different kind of response try to elaborate more. Also, I've had a ton of people post on this thread flaming me and saying my opinion is shit cause I have Shounen in my favorites. So of course I'm going to get agitated when a post like yours looks like another shit post, even if that wasn't your intention.
Dec 4, 2019 3:43 PM

Jul 2017
@Zeroflamez makes sense, but this post has been made so many other times that were all tired of it.
Dec 4, 2019 5:15 PM
Aug 2019
Oh it's one of those threads huh......there are plenty of old stuff to watch....you just have to do some searching
Dec 4, 2019 6:30 PM
Mar 2016
Maybe if they keep making the same type of anime, at least one of them will be very good 🙌🙌🙌
Dec 4, 2019 6:33 PM

May 2013
Agreed. It has been two years since I've picked a seasonal anime to watch and actually finished it.
Dec 4, 2019 6:40 PM

Apr 2010
Zerity said:
@Zeroflamez makes sense, but this post has been made so many other times that were all tired of it.

Like I said earlier, I've just started posting on these forums again after like 7 years. I don't know that threads like these are common, but even then why are people even posting to this thread then? It can easily just be ignored. Clearly some people like the drama these kinds of posts create or they aren't as tired of these kinds of posts as they think they are.
Dec 4, 2019 6:42 PM

Jul 2017
@Zeroflamez i see makes sense, i gotcha
Dec 5, 2019 1:28 AM
Apr 2016
Water-sama said:
@Daniel_Naumov

"This kind of argument is absolutely... nonsensical if you do not specify"
Okay, I will specify why Sword Art Online is bad and boring.

Everything was way too predictable. Ep 1, Lemme guess, you won't be able to log out. Alright, That's a freebie. Girl beside water, looks pretty sad, yep. She's suicidal. A fight worth watch watching? Never. People are being "assassinated" in non-pvp zones. Girl has her back facing towards the window that's open but somehow, she's trying to not get assassinated. Took them amazingly too long to figure that out. Did the creator think that was clever or smart? Smh, cause it wasn't. At all.

Lack of Threat. Everything was already boring but the Lack of Threat in Sword Art Online was unbearable. When you are always more powerful than your enemies, or have an AI fight for you. Or you fights last a few slashes and then end. Yeah, that's not a very engaging experience. Nothing about the story of a boy who seemingly doesn't have to put in any REAL effort makes me want to watch it more. Spongebob has more action than this show, and it's more engaging.

We have Asuna crying over a dead video game character. Lol, was that some attempt at emotion? Making the viewer try to feel bad for her or something? Alright. Kirito uses the Game Account that was conveniently left open by some GM/moderator guy. Moderators have the ability to edit the game...

-If you use the NerveGear Set to get into the game
-How do you use a different game account, INSIDE OF THE GAME, Without moving to another NerveGear
-How do you Login into the Game again, from Inside of the Game. Without what it takes to login....
-How does that GM Account, edit a part of the Game. While the game is running.
-How is a boy who never helped create this video game, able to edit the source code in a few seconds, and recompile it, while its running.
-He takes the AI and turns it into an Item and programmed it to do what he wants it to do. An item in a game is just code. An AI is programmed with Code to do certain things.
-You had the power to Edit part of the Game itself but you couldn't log anyone out. Which was the whole point of your struggle. TO GET OUT.

Episode 14. The Fight with the Creator.
-How does Kirito come back to life after his health bar depleted
-If you die in the game, your brain gets fried.
-Kirito dies in-game and comes back inside of the game seconds after dying. Even though, creator killed him. (Without taking fatal damage)
-Even though creator was just beating you, you come back to life face to face with creator-san, looking badass for a few seconds. Somehow you step straight forward and stab him in the chest after all of your other attacks did NOTHING to hurt him.
-Creator didn't try to block, or avoid the attack. He just sat there, then Smiled.

Made no sense...

"Great, you do not know then what a grand thing Sword Art Online is as a whole. Maybe it actually stopped being "boring" after the first season. You never found out."

So what? I wont and I don't care.... Why would I continue to see something if the beginning was garbage to me? You actually think that I'd waste more time. It's almost like you're mad because I think its boring but wont waste even more Hours to see the POSSIBLE good parts.

Thank you for this extensive... reply. Surely someone who wants to see why others would say Sword Art Online is bad or boring, when seeing it, will find reflect upon it.
Dec 5, 2019 2:12 AM

Dec 2018
My fucking lord, look at this awfully, painfully, ideally hazardous thread, filling itself with dumb prejudices, foolish foul words and self-assertions. Thank you OP @Zeroflamez for baiting everyone into this madness of vicious cycle and revealing the true face of these blokes. What a fucking spectacle.
. . .
Dec 5, 2019 3:20 AM

Sep 2010
Water-sama said:
Why would I continue to see something if the beginning was garbage to me? You actually think that I'd waste more time. It's almost like you're mad because I think its boring but wont waste even more Hours to see the POSSIBLE good parts.
Some people used to say that Naruto/Bleach/One Peace/Gaylactic Heroes get better after 50 (fifty) episodes and everyone who unable to sit it through is just a little kid with attention deficiOOH, LOOK, SHINY~!

There is such thing as shit taste. Only idiots think that every "work of art" should have the same value.

Persona anime are good. Deal with it.
Dec 5, 2019 3:36 AM
May 2018
I still can't quite how I was able to even endure through the fist 13 episodes of the first season.

It is impossible for me to see SAO as anything else besides garbage in the worst possible way, without redeeming qualities whatsoever, and I am one of the people with the lowest standards when it comes to anime that I know.
Dec 5, 2019 9:29 AM

Apr 2010
Psajdak said:
I still can't quite how I was able to even endure through the fist 13 episodes of the first season.

It is impossible for me to see SAO as anything else besides garbage in the worst possible way, without redeeming qualities whatsoever, and I am one of the people with the lowest standards when it comes to anime that I know.

I never put myself through the torture of enduring it. I never watched it. When it aired I had friends talking about it and the internet was going crazy about it. I had just watched Accel world the year prior and it was so bad I couldn't even finish it even though I was like 21 episodes in. I thought "to myself oh man another VR Game Anime that's also based off of a Light Novel, do I really want to try my luck again?" Nope I'm out.

Preachee said:
My fucking lord, look at this awfully, painfully, ideally hazardous thread, filling itself with dumb prejudices, foolish foul words and self-assertions. Thank you OP @Zeroflamez for baiting everyone into this madness of vicious cycle and revealing the true face of these blokes. What a fucking spectacle.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!?!? *Russel Crow Voice*
Dec 6, 2019 8:38 AM

Sep 2019
Psajdak said:

How? It had excellent art, animation and music. Those are redeeming qualities.

Whether those redeeming qualities were enough to overcome the terrible writing is up to the viewer.

Now, if you hated the art, animation and music, then you don't like what I like, so then obviously you must be wrong!
Dec 6, 2019 11:50 PM

Dec 2018
Yes a lot of shounen trash!! Heterosexual harems and romance and other boring crap

We should only have CGDCT and Yuri's!! Lesbian kissing in every anime!!,, YEEEES!! And no more males ever again!!! Who needs them? It should only be cute lesbians in anime!! That would be a perfect world!! Free from stupid males and other trash!!

Or we can have some variations and everyone get something they like =P Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder,what is one man's trash is another's treasure!

Yuri-CrusaderDec 7, 2019 12:01 AM
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

33 by W3TFT »»
10 seconds ago

» im kinda new to anime

thefoxkiller12 - Apr 29, 2022

18 by MichaelJackson »»
53 seconds ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 2 hours ago

6 by FanofAction »»
2 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 4 hours ago

20 by Luc36 »»
4 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - 2 hours ago

13 by W3TFT »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.