Forum Settings
Forums

If you became a multi-millionaire, would you pay for a Harem anime made with a Black Protagonist ?

New
If you became a multi-millionaire, would you pay for a Harem anime made with a Black Protagonist ?
Dec 3, 2019 11:00 PM

Nov 2017
If you became a multi-millionaire, would you pay for a Harem anime made with a Black Protagonist ? The setting could be done in a fictional international school set in Japan, and the harem girls would comprise of multiple Japanese girls, and a few American and European students. Would you pay for it to be made ?
I frown at recent installments of Persona and Trails of Cold Steel that introduce harem-like elements in the story.

We need more JRPGs like the past Lunar series, where there are multiple romantic pairings in the party other than for the protagonist and main heroine.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 3, 2019 11:14 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I knew I remembered you making a few other topics on this recently, but holy shit

https://prnt.sc/q5xft4

Do you log onto MAL and use the forums to exclusively talk about this one topic?

Also, no, I'd get spinoffs of shows that gave all of my great H&E/ES Imperial Waifu Harem the screentime they deserved. One about Run and only Run, one about Seryuu, one about Miura and one about Shenhua. Probably in one episode each OVA format instead of full series or something because apparently my money isn't infinite, I'm just a mere multi-millionare self-funding what will make my pee pee hard. Like get all of the dating stuff and the voice acting stuff done and make that a huge focus but also get some POV fucking in there or something. Then never have it released and stash it purely for my personal collection.

Certainly not spend it on whatever you want to make, it'd all be about me and what I want. Because it'd be my money and I couldn't give a hately jizz if there was a harem with a black MC in an international school set in Japan with Japanese haremettes. If you want that then all power to you, of course, but you were also the one to make this thread about my hypothetical money. Which your idea would get absolutely none of.
ManabanDec 3, 2019 11:23 PM

Dec 3, 2019 11:17 PM
Jan 2015
Why do i bother going to into the cesspool that is AD? Maybe I really am I masochist.
My Queens

Dec 3, 2019 11:20 PM

Oct 2013
Screw that. there's only 2 things I would do with that kind of money as far as anime related stuff goes. One, complete all the shows on my list that never got an actual ending after the source material finished. Two, create a hentai or ecchi series featuring all my favorite female characters.
Dec 3, 2019 11:21 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Setsuei said:
Two, create a hentai or ecchi series featuring all my favorite female characters.

Another man of culture, I see.

This is the correct answer btw, for everyone, there are no exceptions

Dec 3, 2019 11:25 PM

Oct 2019
No

I've got nothing against black people, I just hate harems lol
Dec 3, 2019 11:27 PM

Apr 2013
Nope, wouldn't even have thought about doing that in 100 years. Probably because I'm not a black dude and skin color in general doesn't matter to me.
Dec 3, 2019 11:29 PM

May 2015
If the black protagonist was a white skinned five years old girl called Yotsuba and her harem consisted of her daddy and the girls in the neighbour then for sure I would pay.
IshitatesoDec 4, 2019 12:05 AM
Dec 3, 2019 11:38 PM
May 2019
No I'm not all that passionate about harems. If I had a money to make any anime that I want it would probably be Psychological/Thriller Cyberpunk anime.
Harems work better in VN format.
Dec 3, 2019 11:57 PM

Apr 2015
Doesn't OP make thread's like this every few days? And don't they all get wrecked?
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Dec 4, 2019 12:16 AM

May 2018
Isn't Neo Yokio practically that?

But with Toblerones instead of girls...
alshuDec 4, 2019 12:20 AM
Dec 4, 2019 12:30 AM

Jul 2016
No!Because I don't give a damn if anime characters are black or white, or anything inbetween, I just hate preaching for representation in general.
Dec 4, 2019 12:35 AM

Aug 2015
Missaliensan said:
No!Because I don't give a damn if anime characters are black or white, or anything inbetween, I just hate preaching for representation in general.

+100

Jesus Christ, these raced-obsessed people need to stop. Anime is made by and for japanese people. If we like it is our decision, but they don't need (and I hope never do) to follow our western taste or preference. This is not Marvel.

Also, School Rumble may not be harem but I think it counts. So stop.
Dec 4, 2019 12:45 AM
Apr 2016
There is a saying that there are no stupid questions... however, my hand is itching to enter report mode. Everyone existing on this forum been warned.
Re:formed
Dec 4, 2019 1:27 AM

Feb 2015
I wouldn't pay to have an anime made in the first place. Even less so to have a harem anime made. And even less than that to have a black MC in it.
Dec 4, 2019 5:43 AM

Jul 2019
Paying for a self-insert of someone else? Oh boy, this is my childhood dream. How did you guess?
Life is a despicable endurance race
Dec 4, 2019 5:45 AM

Jun 2016
No I would pay for the rights for macross and make a proper bluray release.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Dec 4, 2019 5:49 AM

Oct 2018
Also consider adding this poll option: ಠ_ಠ
Dec 4, 2019 6:04 AM

Nov 2019
No, With all that money i would make the catgirls real
sneed's feed and seed
formerly chuck's
Dec 4, 2019 11:46 AM

Aug 2009
Ehurvaks said:
If you became a multi-millionaire, would you pay for a Harem anime made with a Black Protagonist ? The setting could be done in a fictional international school set in Japan, and the harem girls would comprise of multiple Japanese girls, and a few American and European students. Would you pay for it to be made ?

I love harem anime. I vote no because I am not black. I realize the protagonists in most anime are Japanese,But a lot of times you can't really tell. If someone made a harem anime with a black protagonist I would probably watch it depending on what other genres are mixed in. But if I had the cash I would make a harem anime where some of the girls are black,but not the main protagonist.
ezikialrageDec 5, 2019 4:06 PM
Dec 4, 2019 11:47 AM

Jun 2019
excuse me? I have no idea what this is trying to say

Dec 4, 2019 12:01 PM

Jul 2017
Just watch some shitty NTR hentai if that's what you want.

Dec 4, 2019 12:13 PM
Apr 2017
Yeah because if I became a multi-millionaire making an anime would be at the top of my to-do list.

But hey, if I were to do something as braindead as that, fuck no, why black people? What are they, an endangered species? Stop being so racist and start treating them as normal human beings bruh.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Dec 4, 2019 12:13 PM

Aug 2010
I'd pay to to have anime studios shoot down all harem animes.

skin color holds no importance...
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Dec 4, 2019 12:14 PM
Aug 2015
I wouldn't pay for harem trash, they are all identical to each other. If I did want to waste a ton of money on an anime, it would be a genre that has a massive lack of good content like yuri
Dec 4, 2019 12:43 PM

May 2018
If I were a multi-millionaire I would never need to invest in shitty genre for losers to self-insert. I'd better build a real harem instead

Dec 4, 2019 12:53 PM

Dec 2014
The fuck would I do that for? Might as well donate my net worth to poor kids in Africa.
Dec 4, 2019 3:23 PM

May 2019
No.
I'd spend all my money on creating a reverse harem anime with a black trans female protagonist who has a harem that includes all races, black, white, arab, asian, etc. In the end she gets with her best friend who's a cis woman, because fuck men, y'know?
Dec 4, 2019 4:00 PM
Feb 2017
If I answer Yes I'm a savior. If I answer No it means I'm a racist.

No.

I'd pay for them to remake Toradora! with modern animation. Oh, and NGNL sequel
Dec 4, 2019 4:03 PM

Feb 2010
I would spend it to buy MAL so I can ban users at my will.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 4, 2019 4:06 PM

Aug 2019
Really scraping the bottom of the barrel with these ridiculous hypotheticals.
Dec 4, 2019 4:10 PM

Apr 2018
This might be the dumbest shit I've seen all day...
Dec 4, 2019 4:17 PM
Jul 2018
I am a yellow. Could I pay for a yellow protagonist instead?
Dec 4, 2019 4:21 PM
Aug 2017
I would rather give berserk a Vinland saga treatment it deserves with either wit or madhouse studio. Ufotable is really awesome but I don't know how it will work with berserks gittyness.
Dec 4, 2019 4:22 PM

Apr 2018
If the ROI was good enough, who wouldn't but why the heck would anyone who recently became a millionaire fund some random anime, simply to virtue signal to a demographic who doesn't even consume the medium..

I see where the OP is going with this, he want's to see more diversity in anime. Particularly for main protagonists it seems.
However, if the reason for making an anime is simply to virtue signal and be diverse, it probably shouldn't be made in the first place. It's never the minority race who cry online as though they're not portrayed enough in these mediums, it's always the guilty white folks who speak for other races and it's pathetic.
Dec 4, 2019 4:28 PM
Jul 2015
There are so amazing novels out there that would probably never get an adaptation. Dozens of them. Why would you pay for a normie garbo wankfest like a harem series in the first place?
Dec 4, 2019 5:37 PM

Jul 2011
I wouldn't pay anyone for a harem anime in the first place lol.

Dec 4, 2019 5:41 PM

Jan 2009
if im a millionaire i rather donate money on open source projects like LibreOffice, GIMP, Shotcut, VLC, etc

but if im a billionaire then why not? if im super rich then might as well waste money on those
degDec 4, 2019 5:45 PM
Dec 4, 2019 5:44 PM
Jul 2018
Yeah, I would.

Pakumen- said:
Missaliensan said:

+100

Jesus Christ, these raced-obsessed people need to stop. Anime is made by and for japanese people. If we like it is our decision, but they don't need (and I hope never do) to follow our western taste or preference. This is not Marvel.

Why do people get so worked up and angry whenever someone merely suggests the idea of anime characters who aren't white/Asian?

L0ST_D0GGY said:

[b]However, if the reason for making an anime is simply to virtue signal and be diverse, it probably shouldn't be made in the first place.

You can't make an anime just by making the protagonist black: there'd obviously be a story and characters, and animation. What's wrong with the idea of a harem anime with a unique story, in which the protagonist happens to be black?

L0ST_D0GGY said:

It's never the minority race who cry online as though they're not portrayed enough in these mediums, it's always the guilty white folks who speak for other races and it's pathetic.[/b]

How do you know that? Do you know the racial background of at least 100+ people online who complain about lack of racial diversity? Why do people get so angry at the idea of racial diversity? It doesn't mean there'd be less quality anime if the characters' races were diverse. Ironically, when people get so worked up over this topic, it makes me think they're actually the ones who are insecure: it's as though the idea of a medium they like representing minorities is somehow disgusting.
removed-userDec 4, 2019 5:55 PM
Dec 4, 2019 5:53 PM
Jan 2012
...Your signature is about how you frown on Persona and Trails of Cold Steel because they introduced harem elements, and you want to make a new harem show?

Also, what would this even do? Just one single show isn't gonna change the fact that black people are largely nonexistent in Japan, which is why they're never in their shows. It'd be cool if they were more common in anime, but it's understandable why they aren't, and this ain't really the fix.

And seriously, harem? Dozens of harem shows come out a season that everyone forgets because it's the most forgettable genre due to how oversaturated it is. I can't see any reason for picking harem except for interracial being your kink, which would still somewhat be dumb considering harem shows go absolutely nowhere.
Dec 4, 2019 6:00 PM

Aug 2015
RealTheAbsurdist said:

Why do people get so worked up and angry whenever someone merely suggests the idea of anime characters who aren't white/Asian?

To put it short, because it does not matter for me if the character is asian, black, white, latino, indian, chinese or whatever as long as it is well made. I see representation of minorities as a big fucking obsession for no reason, and Americans were the first to be so insanely obsessed with it (just go to any movie today, and you can literally see at least one character from every race or sexual identity, the thing is, the only remarkable trait of those characters is the fact that they are from a certain identity or race), specially if the market of a product is not targeted to us (western people).

By the way, before making assumptions, I am technically not white (according to the american standards I am latin american) so yeah, I am a minority. But do I give a flying fuck about latinos in anime or anything in general? No, why would I. If I want to see latin americans in everything I just stick to our products.
Dec 4, 2019 6:02 PM

Apr 2018
RealTheAbsurdist said:
Yeah, I would.

Pakumen- said:

+100

L0ST_D0GGY said:

[b]However, if the reason for making an anime is simply to virtue signal and be diverse, it probably shouldn't be made in the first place.

You can't make an anime just by making the protagonist black: there'd obviously be a story and characters, and animation. What's wrong with the idea of a harem anime with a unique story, in which the protagonist happens to be black?

L0ST_D0GGY said:

It's never the minority race who cry online as though they're not portrayed enough in these mediums, it's always the guilty white folks who speak for other races and it's pathetic.[/b]

How do you know that? Do you know the racial background of at least 100+ people online who complain about lack of racial diversity? Why do people get so angry at the idea of racial diversity? It doesn't mean there'd be less quality anime if the characters' races were diverse. Ironically, when people get so worked up over this topic, it makes me think they're actually the ones who are insecure: it's as though the idea of a medium they like representing minorities is somehow disgusting.

Just go to twitter for factual evidence of white folks always crying about diversity in movies.

I'm sorry but I just don't want to see anime and manga devolve into SJW identity politics that place diversity, political correctness, and virtue signaling over story like how Comics have.
Dec 4, 2019 6:07 PM

Jul 2015
Setsuei said:
Screw that. there's only 2 things I would do with that kind of money as far as anime related stuff goes. One, complete all the shows on my list that never got an actual ending after the source material finished. Two, create a hentai or ecchi series featuring all my favorite female characters.

I like the way you think, a man of culture.
Dec 4, 2019 6:20 PM
Jul 2018
Pakumen- said:
RealTheAbsurdist said:

To put it short, because it does not matter for me if the character is asian, black, white, latino, indian, chinese or whatever as long as it is well made. I see representation of minorities as a big fucking obsession for no reason, and Americans were the first to be so insanely obsessed with it (just go to any movie today, and you can literally see at least one character from every race or sexual identity, the thing is, the only remarkable trait of those characters is the fact that they are from a certain identity or race), specially if the market of a product is not targeted to us (western people).

By the way, before making assumptions, I am technically not white (according to the american standards I am latin american) so yeah, I am a minority. But do I give a flying fuck about latinos in anime or anything in general? No, why would I. If I want to see latin americans in everything I just stick to our products.

If you don't care about representation, why did you post here to begin with? Why did you write 2 long paragraphs emphasizing how you don't care? I don't know about those characters, but whether a character is interesting or not depends on the viewer. Because there's no objective definition to what constitutes as interesting.

L0ST_D0GGY said:

Just go to twitter for factual evidence of white folks always crying about diversity in movies.

How do you know they're white? Do they all have profile pics? Maybe the reason why white folks want diversity in their medium is because they're tired of being overly represented: why doesn't the idea of a non white/Asian protagonist sound interesting?

L0ST_D0GGY said:
I'm sorry but I just don't want to see anime and manga devolve into SJW identity politics that place diversity, political correctness, and virtue signaling over story like how Comics have.

An anime being diverse doesn't affect the quality of the story; it's just a nice little addition to the package, like a decoration. Yuri On Ice features a gay couple. People still loved the anime. Zombieland Saga features a transgender idol girl. The anime was still awesome.
Anime has always featured LGBT characters, before it was cool:
https://medium.com/reflections-of-a-grown-up-fan/are-sjws-taking-over-anime-ad6239a3e78f
There's no such thing as, "forced diversity."
https://medium.com/reflections-of-a-grown-up-fan/the-myth-of-forced-diversity-e44a8525140a
The writer of the article found 3 consensus's on Twitter on what "forced diversity" meant:

1) Forced Diversity is a buzzword thrown by bigots to rationalize critiques against works featuring diverse people on the merit that diverse people make a work “worse.”

2) Forced Diversity is when diverse people appear in a work for the sole purpose of garnering attention and/or sales.

3) Forced Diversity is when diverse people are poorly written.

#2 contradicts itself: of course every story is written to cater to someone: Disney movies are catered towards kids. Berserk is catered towards older guys who love gore and a mature story. Every story has a demographic. Yet nobody calls the gore or story in Berserk "forced": that'd be ridiculous.
#3 seems bullshit. If a white/Asian character in anime is poorly written, I can also claim that they are "forced" because of their race.

There's nothing wrong with wanting diversity in a medium, or even not caring about it. But to be AGAINST it...that's definitely strange.
Dec 4, 2019 6:32 PM

Apr 2018
RealTheAbsurdist said:
Yeah, I would.

Pakumen- said:

+100

L0ST_D0GGY said:

L0ST_D0GGY said:

I don't think representing minorities is what the OP is pushing nearly as much as the subtle SJW narrative.

There's PLENTY of black main protagonists in anime already, just look at Black Lagoon, Afro Samurai, or Turn A Gundam.

I just don't see why Japanese artists should draw darker skin tones in Japanese anime that's clearly meant for the Japanese demographic just to please a handful of people.
Dec 4, 2019 6:32 PM

Feb 2019
Freshell said:
No.
I'd spend all my money on creating a reverse harem anime with a black trans female protagonist who has a harem that includes all races, black, white, arab, asian, etc. In the end she gets with her best friend who's a cis woman, because fuck men, y'know?
Allow me to give you my dad's money to make it a reality.
Dec 4, 2019 6:39 PM

Aug 2016
Freshell said:
No.

that sounds like Michelle Obama in the whitehouse.
:v
Dec 4, 2019 6:39 PM

Apr 2018
Kosmonaut said:
Freshell said:
No.
Allow me to give you my dad's money to make it a reality.

Kinda reminds me of the Disney Star Wars trilogy. You might need to swap "black hair transgender" out for b-- well no you might not need to change that actually. Upon reflection it does sound like how RoS might play out.

Minus the harem and plus shitty writing and that'd be just about right.
FellaWhispererDec 4, 2019 6:44 PM
Dec 4, 2019 6:46 PM

Nov 2011
No, I prefer the protagonist to be a fat old man.

Dec 4, 2019 6:49 PM

Jun 2019
It would not be on my to-fund list but if someone came to me with a project like this and it looked good, sure dawg, why not? Guess I will be the destroyer of anime then.

Leading biologist Scott Pitnick said:
The bigger your 'nads, the smaller your brains
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» angry sub only users

Yorda_trico - 4 hours ago

37 by alshu »»
6 minutes ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

171 by sodaJar »»
20 minutes ago

» What percentage of anime that you've seen did you pirate? ( 1 2 3 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 13

122 by neolucaman »»
30 minutes ago

» Reason versus emotion in the perception of anime

RobertBobert - Apr 14

5 by TRC_Randy »»
46 minutes ago

» What anime can be considered "the Evangelion of x"?

Eternal-Destiny - Dec 9, 2023

43 by AzafuseKingTora »»
49 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.