Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 4, 2019 4:06 PM

Aug 2019
Have you joined any? Are they worth it?
Dec 4, 2019 4:09 PM

Feb 2010
Yes I've joined some and maybe they're worth it.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 4, 2019 4:16 PM

Aug 2019
Pullman said:

I was thinking about join anime soul since they have the most users. Have you had good experiences with the community of the ones you joined?
Dec 4, 2019 4:24 PM

Feb 2010
Haunt-Me said:
Pullman said:

I was thinking about join anime soul since they have the most users. Have you had good experiences with the community of the ones you joined?

can't really say. I just idle in one of them which centers around simulwatching older anime, only give recs on the MAL server, am most active in one that is private filled with MAL friends, another is centered on obscure shorts and where to watch them and the last one is basically just a server for a notification bot that lets me know whenever a new MAL entries gets accepted in the DB.

I'm afraid I'm not much help when it comes to general anime servers since I only really join more specialized ones.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 4, 2019 4:27 PM

Jul 2016
Yes, it's called Anime Memes For Weaboo Teens.

It's not meme focused. That's the title.
Dec 4, 2019 4:34 PM

Jan 2009
if you just want to talk anime then MyAnimeList discord works good enough, i just lurk there though rarely post something there, [Official] HorribleSubs is good too

the rest i follow are too specific like Code Geass, Samurai 8, One Punch Man, Jaiminis Box, etc and even the sakuga community discord called /r/NarutoSakuga
Dec 5, 2019 1:40 PM

Apr 2016
Avoid anything that's focused around something as broad as anime. The only good discords are private or focused around niche subgenres.
Dec 5, 2019 1:44 PM

Jul 2016
I feel like the ones like Animesoul are too overwhelming for me,i just join discord severs that are more niche and have a smaller amount of people so i don't feel as disoriented.
Dec 5, 2019 1:47 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
If you like Ecchi you can join Harem& Ecchi club's discord. You can click on my signature to get to the club's main page.
Dec 5, 2019 1:54 PM
Jul 2018
Last year I joined the r/anime discord and got many recommendations. They also told me to sign up to MAL but I wasn't able to make an account at the time.
Dec 5, 2019 2:56 PM

Oct 2018
is there any discord with few member in it? i plan to join if there is one...and maybe someone can create new
Dec 5, 2019 3:45 PM

Jun 2017
Public servers are full of spams like 99.9% of their content are worthless. But I don't use discord much anyway

I love GLT and Kaguya-sama servers though.
Dec 5, 2019 4:00 PM

Jun 2015
whats a discords?
whats a discords?
Dec 6, 2019 4:20 AM

May 2018
deg said:
Code Geass

Ewww!

deg said:
NarutoSakuga

Are those the guys that were impressed by the animation in Fate/Grand Order?
The "Naruto" part explains a lot of their delusion.

KuroudoAkabane said:
whats a discords?

I guess this guy but in plural

alshuDec 6, 2019 4:23 AM
Dec 6, 2019 4:31 AM

Jan 2009
alshu said:
deg said:
Code Geass

Ewww!

deg said:
NarutoSakuga

Are those the guys that were impressed by the animation in Fate/Grand Order?
The "Naruto" part explains a lot of their delusion.

whats the problem with Code Geass? too mainstream for you? i join it since there is a 10 year plan for Code Geass this decade

ye man i rather listen to the people that redefined the word sakuga to mean good animation and those are the people im talking about

go talk to or troll them if you hated them so much
Dec 6, 2019 4:31 AM

Oct 2018
The Kaguya Sama discord is pretty laid back imo
~Spiritual Healing~

Dec 6, 2019 5:26 AM

May 2018
deg said:

whats the problem with Code Geass?

You mean the refurbished Gundam? Of course I have problems with it for giving us one of the lamest Char Aznable clones (I mean there are more and even lamer but he is more famous ).

deg said:
too mainstream for you?

Actually I love mainstream but haven't you heard? Some fans think of if as "the greatest anime ever created" (see the topic) thus ewww.

deg said:
i join it since there is a 10 year plan for Code Geass this decade

Another "proud" Gundam tradition tho.

deg said:
ye man i rather listen to the people that redefined the word sakuga to mean good animation and those are the people im talking about

Naruto fans having deep knowledge about good animation...I believe you.

deg said:
go talk to or troll them if you hated them so much

Sounds like waste of time I already know what those guys think.
Dec 6, 2019 5:38 AM

Jan 2009
@alshu

Sunrise specailizes in mecha shows because of the influence of Gundam that Bandai made them do exclusively anyway so obviously they gonna copy plot elements of Gundam to Code Geass and their other mecha shows too

and lol whats wrong with Naruto? for a long running battle shonen it has plenty of Sakuga and its safe to say it has more Sakuga than One Piece too

and i made a thread dedicated on what we have discuss in the other thread but it was buried to irrelevancy anyway https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1813457
Dec 6, 2019 6:32 AM

Sep 2019
They're definitely worth it. So far i'm in two of them and sadly i haven't found too many people in there that are invested in 80s and 90s animes like i am tho. Still, it's worth joining some anime discords. You might even make more discord friends!
Dec 6, 2019 6:45 AM

May 2018
deg said:

Sunrise specailizes in mecha shows because of the influence of Gundam that Bandai made them do exclusively anyway so obviously they gonna copy plot elements of Gundam to Code Geass and their other mecha shows too

Other Sunrise mecha shows like Votoms, the Brave series and Overman King Gainer (which is made by the Gundam creator) don't...
Some Gundam series don't do that too.

But suddenly the crowd of "I hate mecha because the fights are not personal enough" discovered Code Geass and thought that it's very unique.

deg said:
and lol whats wrong with Naruto?

It's OK I guess but the animation is quite average...which is understandable for long running series..it its fans to having to say about good animation is a bit of stretch to me.

deg said:
it has plenty of Sakuga

Bit is it "good animation" or "low budget kind of decent animation"?

deg said:
and its safe to say it has more Sakuga than One Piece too

Which is also a long running battle shounen with average animation, so the comparison is not very telling.
alshuDec 6, 2019 8:01 AM
Dec 6, 2019 6:58 AM

Jan 2009
@alshu

this is getting too offtopic here if you want to talk more about this then reply on that thread i link about sakuga instead

because your own definition of sakuga is so vague that you call sakuga on long running anime as not up to your standards? lol thats like a ok boomer moment
Dec 6, 2019 8:16 AM

May 2018
deg said:

this is getting too offtopic

Thus allow me to be prejudice about some groups of fans that I have dealt with before.

deg said:
because your own definition of sakuga is so vague

Dude we talked about this before and your issue was with my definition of animation quality.
Also you talking about 15 minutes of sakuga in an episode is going against the idea of sakuga (not to say that were a lot of dialogues ant still moments in those 15 minutes - so even the facts are against you).
If your opinion about that is based on what those /NarutoSakuga guys said to you I can not trust them thus I can not trust their Discord channel - now this is on topic.

deg said:
thats like a ok boomer moment

Great argument dude you totally convinced me.
Dec 6, 2019 8:24 AM

Jan 2009
alshu said:

deg said:
because your own definition of sakuga is so vague

Dude we talked about this before and your issue was with my definition of animation quality.
Also you talking about 15 minutes of sakuga in an episode is going against the idea of sakuga (not to say that were a lot of dialogues ant still moments in those 15 minutes - so even the facts are against you).
If your opinion about that is based on what those /NarutoSakuga guys said to you I can not trust them thus I can not trust their Discord channel - now this is on topic.

what do you mean 15 minutes of sakuga is against the idea of sakuga?

heck there are full episodes of sakuga like those amazing naruto episodes like even the controversial Pain vs Naruto episode
Dec 6, 2019 3:12 PM

May 2018
deg said:

- Yeah think about it - what is the point of sakuga in the first place?
- Now you are off topic by the way.

deg said:
heck there are full episodes of sakuga like those amazing naruto episodes like even the controversial Pain vs Naruto episode

Let me guess, those /NarutoSakuga impartial experts again?
Dec 6, 2019 3:16 PM

Jan 2009
alshu said:
deg said:

- Yeah think about it - what is the point of sakuga in the first place?
- Now you are off topic by the way.

deg said:

Let me guess, those /NarutoSakuga impartial experts again?

so how long is a sakuga to you? this is weird you got your own definition of how long an animated sequence by talented animator/s is

and they just happen to join the /NarutoSakuga they are not all Naruto fans its for convenience
Dec 6, 2019 3:26 PM

Jun 2017
FullmetalAlias said:
Avoid anything that's focused around something as broad as anime. The only good discords are private or focused around niche subgenres.
smh trollbat no longer in the MAL server

Dec 6, 2019 3:42 PM

May 2018
deg said:

so how long is a sakuga to you?

Only when is needed - going with full animation all the time is against the sakuga principle.

deg said:
this is weird you got your own definition

You keep repeating that and still fail to give examples which are all sakuga

deg said:
of how long an animated sequence by talented animator/s is

Is that your definition? (Because it's wrong and you are putting it in my mouth.)
Also have I said the that the Naruto animators (and by extension those working on battle shounen) are not talented?
No.
I said that usually those types of shows don't get enough budget/time/resources for above the average animation...with some exceptions tho but Naruto and One Piece are not such.

deg said:

and they just happen to join the /NarutoSakuga they are not all Naruto fans its for convenience

Yep, it's very convenient to avoid.
Dec 6, 2019 3:45 PM

Jan 2009
alshu said:
deg said:

so how long is a sakuga to you?

Only when is needed - going with full animation all the time is against the sakuga principle.

deg said:
this is weird you got your own definition

You keep repeating that and still fail to give examples which are all sakuga

deg said:
of how long an animated sequence by talented animator/s is

Is that your definition? (Because it's wrong and you are putting it in my mouth.)
Also have I said the that the Naruto animators (and by extension those working on battle shounen) are not talented?
No.
I said that usually those types of shows don't get enough budget/time/resources for above the average animation...with some exceptions tho but Naruto and One Piece are not such.

deg said:

Yep, it's very convenient to avoid.

what sakuga principle? lol now there is a principle for good animation?

so the Naruto vs Pain episode is not sakuga then to you heh

and lol the budget meme again here

and the reason for long running anime to have bad animation got nothing to do with budget seeing this are shown on primetime like morning timeslots so they get a lot of profit from TV ads alone, the reason for bad quality is that as more episodes are animated with no breaks or hiatus then animation schedule tigthens because of production errors piling up
Dec 6, 2019 3:50 PM

Dec 2017
>good
>anime discords

anime discords are cursed and should be avoided. a friendly heads-up

Dec 6, 2019 3:51 PM

Jan 2009
uninstallthegame said:
>good
>anime discords

i thought you were active on MAL discord and you seem to enjoy it there
Dec 6, 2019 4:00 PM

Dec 2017
deg said:
uninstallthegame said:
>good
>anime discords

i thought you were active on MAL discord and you seem to enjoy it there

i use mal discord as a substitute for seasonal anime forums in a way, the good shit is happening on private discords
Dec 6, 2019 4:02 PM

May 2018
deg said:

there is a principle for good animation?

The principle of sakuga is that you should have difficult to make animation only in the most important scenes...and the therm doesn't necessary mean "good" animation by some technical standard only "better".
Like you can have some very low frame animation and in certain point it gets to 8 frames per second for certain shot - this counts for sakuga too.

deg said:
so the Naruto vs Pain episode is not sakuga then to you heh

Never watched it but if the quality is the same all the time - than it's not sakuga by definition because it doesn't have better moments.

deg said:
and lol the budget meme again here

I also said some other words...but budget is important too.
Dec 6, 2019 4:07 PM

Jan 2009
@alshu

you just conveniently replying to things you can dismiss on my post so ye you just want to win the argument and im here trying to pass knowledge that i know welp im out of here since its not a good discussion at all with you around
Dec 6, 2019 4:34 PM

May 2018
deg said:
so ye you just want to win the argument

No I don't.
I just sated my opinion on some fanbases...you had some problems with it.

deg said:
and im here trying to pass knowledge that i know

Let's say that your knowledge is genuine...still it couldn't point me to the nearest show that will please me...thus maybe you are theoretically right but I have no practical use of it

deg said:
since its not a good discussion at all with you around

It was a good discussion for me. We got a draw but I got reaffirmation about not trusting those guys.
Dec 6, 2019 8:05 PM

May 2009
Haunt-Me said:
Have you joined any? Are they worth it?
I think the franchise-specific Discord servers tend to be better than the general anime fandom discords. This is because the anime fandom is so widely varied in tastes, while franchise-specific ones at least have some sort of more relevant common interest.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Dec 6, 2019 8:30 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Yoink. Sleazy salesman time.

@Haunt-Me It's terrifying when @GlennMagusHarvey actually says something right, but cohesion and general similarities tends to lead to better communities. That tends to be a big barrier of entry for a lot of people in joining places like Anime Soul, or at least it's a major impact against their member retention.

But there's no need to really go so niche as to be a specific series. Look at MAL clubs specifically - a lot of them have shifted into fronts for Discord servers these days. That's kind of the main place on this site to go for Discord servers, otherwise your best bet is to make some friends who happen to have a private server.

A few examples are, like:

Ecchi fans can come check out the joint server between my clubs Harem&Ecchi and Ecchi Squad that I have in a von Habsburg-esque personal union. We're the second most active Discord server stemming from MAL, with the first being MAL's official, public server. I am very proud of as much, but it should go without saying that it's very geared towards lewdness and such and so if that's not your thing you might get put off. But if it is your thing, our doors are open, we keep our entry barriers comparatively low to the point where the verification is just to be a member of our MAL club.

Comfy Camp is currently the best place for more Slice of Life oriented activity, and that's another big-time niche fandom that's general to where you can meet a good margin of people, but not general enough to be the frankenstein's monster of fandoms that is the broader anime community. It might seem weird because their main club numbers are so low, but that was because that club is a split-off of the much larger Slice of Life club. Things went up in flames a while back between the two and the people at Comfy Camp got to keep the old server while Usagi over at the main club is trying to build up a new one with her resources of being the #5 MAL club.

Seasonal oriented fandom can be found here. If you're into seasonals, AG is a place, I guess, though they have an unnecessarily convoluted joining barrier and their rules are pretty tight-assed imo. Still, enough boosts to have the banner perk and it has some decent activity that's also comparatively focused. If that's your thing, go for it.

Those are three most active ones I know of, out of all of the ones I have an alt planted in. Or own and operate in the case of H&E/ES. I can also help find other ones if need be, even though it's a stupid political move on my part, because there's more out there.

ManabanDec 6, 2019 8:39 PM

Dec 6, 2019 8:52 PM
Jun 2015
They exist, but I prefer smaller anime discord servers as the bigger ones just overwhelm me. That being said, I am on the MAL discord server.
Dec 7, 2019 1:21 PM

Aug 2017
Yes, everyone uses Discord. Try Anime Soul.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 7, 2019 7:14 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
the only real anime-related discord server i'm in is a Magical Girl related server... and even then it's super inactive :(
Dec 8, 2019 9:29 PM

Jul 2017
i don't usually talk about anime on discord these days. not on servers at least because there are too many obnoxious/ignorant users.
i talk about anime with my friends on twitter/discord through private messages on occasions.
mostly i prefer to have weeb discussions with my irl friends.

More topics from this board

» Do you find how the anime community finds something to be edgy annoying?

vasipi4946 - 5 hours ago

10 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

» Why were children’s anime dubs so unappreciated?

funtime43_tr - Yesterday

25 by QPR »»
2 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

29 by 0arche »»
33 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

92 by Dracowyn »»
35 minutes ago

» What is your most re-watched anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 15

84 by Spunkert »»
44 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.