Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 18, 2019 12:05 PM

Oct 2015
I'm kinda surprised that this show is in the 6's which on MAL means its pretty bad. I was expecting it to be pretty good if not average so I was planning to watch it but the low score dissuades me.

Is it really that bad or is it just underrated/misunderstood?
Nov 18, 2019 12:43 PM
Jun 2019
It's okay. Average. It's more Slice of lifey and dramatic rather than a mystery or parody. Characters don't provoke interest and/or are not appealing.

It is fine enough that I watch it every week but considering that there are atleast 10 better shows this season, definitely won't recommend others to watch this.

As for MAL scores, there have been very good shows in the past which I liked but had low scores(as low as 6.x). I'd suggest the 1(or 3)-episode rule over Mal scores on this show(any for most others too).
Nov 22, 2019 7:03 PM
🐰KawaiiDaikaiju🐲

Nov 2017
If you’re a Holmes purist you may not like the interpretation, but if you’re open to a different take on the classic setting, you will probably enjoy the somewhat skewed-yet-familiar characters, as well as trying to pick out the threads of the original story each episode is based on 🧐
And the rakugo scenes are a hoot too 😅
“SAITO! YOU NEED TO EXPLODE! FOR THE WORLD’S SAKE!”
Dec 1, 2019 3:36 AM

Dec 2015
I don't know a lot about the classic Sherlock Holmes that exists in western literature. (Only that he exists and that there is a Watson. Never read anything or watched real movies based on it.)

Still this anime is great. Like the unusual characters and the rakugo stuff and comedy + the small episodic cases with now a bit deeper background plot appearing. (Less episodic stuff happening tied in with the episodic stories.)

Certainly better than the shoujo thing (at least if felt like shojo - not tagged shoujo here on MAL though) based on Holmes we had recently. ( https://myanimelist.net/anime/37458/Kyoto_Teramachi_Sanjou_no_Holmes )

Comedywise Milky Holmes is better. (Pure comedy though ... not really interesting plot.)
Dec 2, 2019 3:44 AM

Mar 2014
It is good. It's really under-rated too. And I don't really understand why. You get a case to solve in every episode. The characters are absolutely fantastic and phenomenally well developed and interesting. The world is rich, and the twists on the classic Holmes characters are fresh and welcomed. The only way I can describe it is if the dickish weird holmes of Benedict Cumburbuns fused with the Holmes of Mr. IronMan but they both were Japanese.

I am really sad that this one doesn't get the love it deserves. The end of the first episode had me laughing like crazy. Not just that, but you see Moriarty develop in a way, you haven't really seen him in any recent TV history. Because you usually meet him as already bad. And here you see him actually be a character with more than "Did you miss me?" You know...
Dec 2, 2019 5:09 AM

Aug 2019
I'll review it when it ends but yes, it's a fun show and it doesn't take itself seriously at all. That's what I like about it. It's not even really about a mystery or anything, and so far no character development etc in sight. But that's OK, cause I don't think that this show is trying to be any of that.
So, in that sense, some people might find that that's why it's not 'good', but I don't think the show was supposed to be taken seriously, like, at all. Personally, I like the humor and the art (it looks great) and also, I like Kabukichou so obviously had to watch a show about it.
tbh I don't really get it when people are disappointed in shows like this...it is what it is supposed to be, how is that a bad thing...it's like...people expect something from a show, and when the show turns out not to be like that (but not because it failed - because it didn't want to be that thing) they think it's bad.

Anyways, I'd personally recommend it but if it's not your type of humor or show you like then maybe it's not for you. But don't let ratings get in the way of your experience.
私だけが自分の夢を見ているのだ
Dec 2, 2019 5:25 AM

Feb 2011
It's bad and without any substance. Usually when a director does an original anime they usually have a clear vision on what they want to convey through their story, however this doesn't seem to be the case for this anime yet, as it honestly feels pretty pointless and uninspired.
Dec 2, 2019 8:16 AM

Mar 2014
Nid_Vicious said:
I'll review it when it ends but yes, it's a fun show and it doesn't take itself seriously at all. That's what I like about it. It's not even really about a mystery or anything, and so far no character development etc in sight. But that's OK, cause I don't think that this show is trying to be any of that.
So, in that sense, some people might find that that's why it's not 'good', but I don't think the show was supposed to be taken seriously, like, at all.
tbh I don't really get it when people are disappointed in shows like this...it is what it is supposed to be, how is that a bad thing...it's like...people expect something from a show, and when the show turns out not to be like that (but not because it failed - because it didn't want to be that thing) they think it's bad.

Yes, that's exactly it. I suppose since it's based on a "serious" literary work, people wanted it to be a mystery drama, so when they get this comedy they hate it and say it's bad. I'm not taking it seriously either and I'm having a lot of fun watching it. They did a great twist on the Moriarty character, and Mrs. Hudson!! I don't know, I suppose it all depends on what you want out of it and if you like comedy anime, or if you're really attached to the original Sherlock Holmes novels. I've read several of them and I'm really enjoying this anime. Plus, it's clear the whole thing is slowly building up to something, it's not plotless. And it's just plain fun.
Dec 2, 2019 9:26 AM

Aug 2019
Exactly. I don't understand people who review a 24 ep show after just a few episodes...
私だけが自分の夢を見ているのだ
Dec 14, 2019 8:27 PM

Feb 2017
The show's definitely underrated. People somehow cannot take the humour it offers I think.
Dec 17, 2019 6:14 PM
May 2019
I definitely love this anime so far. It's funny, the characters are colorful, the plot is interesting. I think it's sufficiently entertaining!

I'm glad I gave this show a chance. At first, I kept purposely skipping it by because I feared I would hate the overly used, super general Sherlock Holmes story. But, this is unique and creative. I think it's fantastic.

I don't think it's smart to judge the anime so low just yet (I prefer rating high then decreasing, or not rating at all until it's over)! A 6 is too low in my opinion.
Dec 29, 2019 7:12 AM

May 2012
It had weak start but it got better later

episode 11 is very good
Jan 1, 2020 10:36 AM

Aug 2019
papsoshea said:
justtvalerie said:

Yes, that's exactly it. I suppose since it's based on a "serious" literary work, people wanted it to be a mystery drama, so when they get this comedy they hate it and say it's bad. I'm not taking it seriously either and I'm having a lot of fun watching it. They did a great twist on the Moriarty character, and Mrs. Hudson!! I don't know, I suppose it all depends on what you want out of it and if you like comedy anime, or if you're really attached to the original Sherlock Holmes novels. I've read several of them and I'm really enjoying this anime. Plus, it's clear the whole thing is slowly building up to something, it's not plotless. And it's just plain fun.
Both posts describe a kind of show that seems like something I would like. I am sold. I will pick it up and catch up on the latest episode sometime this week. Thanks.

Please let me know if you ended up liking it!
私だけが自分の夢を見ているのだ
Jan 21, 2020 3:20 AM
Jan 2020
IndianAnimeReker said:
I'm kinda surprised that this show is in the 6's which on MAL means its pretty bad. I was expecting it to be pretty good if not average so I was planning to watch it but the low score dissuades me.

This show is underrated, most probably due to its slow start. It starts off as a typical mystery show, but trust me, it gets better. If nothing else, then at least hold on till episode 11. If it doesn't pique your interest even after the 11th episode, then you are free to do as you please. But still, I suggest giving it a chance. It's pretty good.
Jan 24, 2020 8:57 PM

Sep 2019
Its basically ok, the setting is an interesting one but the writing is just cartoonish so the whole show can't be taken that serious, it has no impact, the cases are just too stupid/easy a lot of times.

Its not really bad but isnt great too, the twist with the characters and adapting to the setting alongside holmes quirk being rakugo is interesting, but this show is not deeper than ben 10 alien force on the way its written and shown on screen which is a downer, im at ep 15 and im starting to get bored of it, hope they can pull something interesting after this. It was funny tho, even more when well holmes is on screen.
Carpal_Tunnel69Jan 24, 2020 9:05 PM
Jan 25, 2020 1:34 AM
Oct 2019
IndianAnimeReker said:

If you are into comedy (especially adult humour) and slightly mystery. Then you should watch this. You can try the first arc- Jack the Ripper, then see whether you should continue with it. Take note there is a lot of adult humour, do not watch if you are easily offended.
Jan 25, 2020 4:13 AM

Feb 2017
I like it.
Cases and mystery generally leave something to be desired, though there are some interesting cases like the one at the end of the first cour. Also right now it seem show is starting to build up a big case which has potential to be interesting.

Humor is crude and you could maybe say politically incorrect so it may be offensive to certain groups of people. But I don't mind it and actually enjoy it. Characters are also quirky and fun so they are enjoyable.
Feb 9, 2020 9:03 PM
Jan 2020
IndianAnimeReker said:

This shit is underrated. If you like mystery/detective stories with a slight mix of comedy, then it's definitely worth a watch. And it has its serious moments. Up until episode 6, it was pretty much a meh story, but after watching episode 11 I'm convinced that it is underrated.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kabukichou Sherlock Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2020

54 by SenChen »»
Apr 14, 1:45 AM

Poll: » Kabukichou Sherlock Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2019

59 by naturalbrawler »»
Jan 15, 12:10 AM

Poll: » Kabukichou Sherlock Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 22, 2019

27 by naturalbrawler »»
Jan 14, 11:39 AM

Poll: » Kabukichou Sherlock Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 27, 2019

39 by OneFaintingRobin »»
Mar 14, 2023 12:16 PM

Poll: » Kabukichou Sherlock Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2019

34 by EratiK »»
Sep 4, 2022 3:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.