Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 30, 2019 8:21 PM
Mar 2016
I just finished watching Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood with my niece and she's anxious to find yet another anime. I watched quite a few anime to watch, but I am a bit unsure as to what to recommend next as she's a bit picky as to what she likes. As of now, her two favorite anime are Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood and Heaven's lost property. From what I know so far her interest comes into the romance and drama category, but not sure anymore as she enjoyed Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood, but then again that has a bit of everything thrown in together. You guys think you can help me choose an anime for her?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 30, 2019 8:41 PM

May 2009
Perhaps one of the following? A little hard for me to pick since I don't know much else about her tastes.

* Kyoukai no Kanata - romance, drama, some comedy/SOL, supernatural stuff and action
* Nodame Cantabile - romance, comedy, classical music, college life
* Eureka Seven - adventure, romance, mecha. great story, but told from the boy's perspective, though, I dunno if she cares. I mean she's already seen FMAB lol
* The Tower of Druaga - fantasy adventure. touches of romance. starts off with more comedy, has more drama later. boy as lead protag.
* Fractale - fantasy drama with some romance elements. boy as lead protag.
* Magic Knight Rayearth - acclaimed isekai fantasy adventure by CLAMP, with some shoujo romance elements, along with a mix of comedy and drama.
* Angelic Layer - another CLAMP story but it's more about a fictional sport, and the girl who plays it.
* Dog Days - isekai fantasy with dog-people and cat-people. Mix of action and comedy and SOL and drama. Mild romance elements.

I kinda feel tempted to rec SAO, Accel World, and Tales of Zestiria the X, though I'm less sure of those.

Also, how old is your niece? Far as I know Heaven's Lost Property is known for its sexual fanservice, which I'm usually hesitant to recommend to children, but if she's in her later teens or older and is fine with boobs on parade then that's a different story.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Nov 30, 2019 8:48 PM
Mar 2016
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Perhaps one of the following? A little hard for me to pick since I don't know much else about her tastes.

* Kyoukai no Kanata - romance, drama, some comedy/SOL, supernatural stuff and action
* Eureka Seven - adventure, romance, mecha. great story, but told from the boy's perspective, though, I dunno if she cares. I mean she's already seen FMAB lol
* The Tower of Druaga - fantasy adventure. touches of romance. starts off with more comedy, has more drama later. boy as lead protag.
* Magic Knight Rayearth - acclaimed isekai fantasy adventure by CLAMP, with some shoujo romance elements, along with a mix of comedy and drama.
* Angelic Layer - another CLAMP story but it's more about a fictional sport, and the girl who plays it.
* Dog Days - isekai fantasy with dog-people and cat-people. Mix of action and comedy and SOL and drama. Mild romance elements.

I kinda feel tempted to rec SAO, Accel World, and Tales of Zestiria the X, though I'm less sure of those.

Also, how old is your niece? Far as I know Heaven's Lost Property is known for its sexual fanservice, which I'm usually hesitant to recommend to children, but if she's in her later teens or older and is fine with boobs on parade then that's a different story.

Thanks for the recommendations! She's 13 years old and yeah I was a bit surprised when she told me she enjoyed heaven's lost property too
Nov 30, 2019 8:52 PM
Apr 2016
Hmm, these should be suitable and good I believe:

Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
Nodame Cantabile
Itazura na Kiss
Chihayafuru
Noragami
Isshuukan Friends.
Nov 30, 2019 8:53 PM
Mar 2016
twoego said:

Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
Nodame Cantabile
Itazura na Kiss
Chihayafuru
Noragami
Isshuukan Friends.

I appreciate the recommendations. Which of these do you believe she'd enjoy most?
Nov 30, 2019 8:56 PM

Apr 2019
Some romance/dramas I have seen and I highly recommend are
Toradora
A Silent Voice (I don't know if a movie is fine to recommend, but if you have Netflix, then it's right there for you)
Your Name
Your Lie in April

Sorry, I can't think of anymore.. good luck with it
Nov 30, 2019 8:57 PM

Jan 2013
Try Angel Beats, Clannad or Kanon if she wants some decently written romance with tons of emotional moments. Patema Inverted is also great although that one's a movie.
Or actually if she wants another good shounen, Demon Slayer is kinda a thing now. Yea I definitely recommend that one.
Nov 30, 2019 9:00 PM

May 2009
alienx26 said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Thanks for the recommendations! She's 13 years old and yeah I was a bit surprised when she told me she enjoyed heaven's lost property too
what are you raising her on

Cool. I do wonder whether she'd find Nodame Cantabile or Eureka Seven to be a little too boring though.

Also I recommend the Nanoha series. It's less fanservicey than HLP, and Nanoha herself makes a great role model IMO (though she does have the advantage of magical aptitude).
Nov 30, 2019 9:01 PM
Apr 2016
alienx26 said:
twoego said:

Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
Nodame Cantabile
Itazura na Kiss
Chihayafuru
Noragami
Isshuukan Friends.

I appreciate the recommendations. Which of these do you believe she'd enjoy most?
I believe "Kaichou wa Maid-sama," unless the oldish artstyle hinders with her enjoyment. Second would be "Nodame Cantabile," however, it's possible for her to find it boring, since while primarily it's a romance anime, it also strongly revolves around classical music. Third, "Chihayafuru," I'm not good at describing this show, but it's a very beautiful one, and has a bit of romance.
Nov 30, 2019 9:11 PM

Jul 2017
She enjoyed Heaven's Lost Property?! Like, damn! Your niece is really something else. I remember Fairy Tail being the ecchiest thing ever for me at 13 and that's nothing lol

Nov 30, 2019 9:32 PM

Dec 2018
A Place Further than the Universe will help any child realize how much a youth can do at their age for a better, proud and happy life. The show basically jump-started my life goals and the only thing I regret is not watching it sooner. I love Shonen and every other type of anime but nothing compares to A Place Further than the Universe.

It also has the achievement of being the ONLY ANIME in The New York Time's Best TV Shows of 2018.(https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/03/arts/television/the-best-tv-shows.html)
Nov 30, 2019 9:48 PM

Mar 2015
Hmmm this is a pretty hard one. Since your niece is only 13 years old I'd think she would enjoy a little faster paced anime that focus on either solely drama or cool stuff which does - for most 13 year olds - not include classical music. So although Nodame Cantabile is one of my favourite anime ever, I don't know whether I'd recommend it to her. I'd go for shows like:

- Made in Abyss: cute characters doing cool stuff, but maybe too little drama
- Your lie in April: this is amazing and if she likes crying she will definitely like this one (also includes classical music though haha)
- Kimi ni Todoke: just really liked this drama
- Skip beat: ton of drama/romance
- Usagi drop: maybe your niece is not the right audience for this but I love this so much I have to recommend it
- Sword art online: yea I'm sorry, but for some reason this is a really good anime to start with, and even though I don't really like it anymore I loved it when I first watched it and it's a great introduction to anime.

Maybe I'll add more later, but this should do for now. Have fun watching anime with your niece :) Hopefully she'll like these!

Edit:
Shotttooo00_0000 said:
A Place Further than the Universe will help any child realize how much a youth can do at their age for a better, proud and happy life. The show basically jump-started my life goals and the only thing I regret is not watching it sooner. I love Shonen and every other type of anime but nothing compares to A Place Further than the Universe.

It also has the achievement of being the ONLY ANIME in The New York Time's Best TV Shows of 2018.(https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/03/arts/television/the-best-tv-shows.html)

Hey I thought about adding this as well! I think I'll +1 this then :)
Nov 30, 2019 9:51 PM
Mar 2016
Coolness0228 said:
Some romance/dramas I have seen and I highly recommend are
Toradora
A Silent Voice (I don't know if a movie is fine to recommend, but if you have Netflix, then it's right there for you)
Your Name
Your Lie in April

Sorry, I can't think of anymore.. good luck with it

No need to apologize. These recommendations will do. Thanks a lot
Nov 30, 2019 9:52 PM
Mar 2016
NanohaFate0097 said:
Cardcaptor Sakura.

It targeted for younger audience and falls into generes: adventure, magic, fantasy, romance, drama, comedy, shoujo. It adapted from CLAMP manga of the same name.

I'm not sure she'd enjoy this one, but then again she enjoyed fmab so she just might. Thanks for the recommendation
Nov 30, 2019 9:55 PM
Mar 2016
vegeta8639 said:
Try Angel Beats, Clannad or Kanon if she wants some decently written romance with tons of emotional moments. Patema Inverted is also great although that one's a movie.
Or actually if she wants another good shounen, Demon Slayer is kinda a thing now. Yea I definitely recommend that one.

She watched the first 3 episodes of angel beats but didn't enjoy it much. We also watched clannad too and it was enjoyable though I feel clannad after story will be more enjoyable from what I heard. Kanon and paterma inverted I have yet to watch so I'll check them out. As for demon slayer, she's not a fan of shonen because she doesn't enjoy a lot of action so she wouldn't like it. Thanks for the recommendations though
Nov 30, 2019 9:57 PM
Mar 2016
GlennMagusHarvey said:
alienx26 said:

what are you raising her on

Cool. I do wonder whether she'd find Nodame Cantabile or Eureka Seven to be a little too boring though.

Also I recommend the Nanoha series. It's less fanservicey than HLP, and Nanoha herself makes a great role model IMO (though she does have the advantage of magical aptitude).

Those sound pretty interesting so I'll tell her about them. Thanks again for the help
Nov 30, 2019 9:58 PM
Mar 2016
Attackonfiller said:
She enjoyed Heaven's Lost Property?! Like, damn! Your niece is really something else. I remember Fairy Tail being the ecchiest thing ever for me at 13 and that's nothing lol

Yeah her enjoyment of heaven's lost property caught me off guard too. Though I'm sure she didn't watch it for the fan service lol
Nov 30, 2019 9:59 PM
Mar 2016
Shotttooo00_0000 said:

I actually have been planning to watch that anime myself so I'll just watch it with her. I've been meaning to watch another anime ever since I finished watching part 5 of jojo lol
Nov 30, 2019 10:00 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Assuming she's a child given your age? Shadow Star Narutaru. It's got kid friendly, pokemon-esque pet monster adventure elements while also having poignant themes for any age with a surprising amount of nuance. Yeah, let's go with that.

Very family friendly anime that has a surprising amount of maturity and depth. Tragically overlooked.

Nov 30, 2019 10:03 PM
Mar 2016
Tenbun-kun said:
Hmmm this is a pretty hard one. Since your niece is only 13 years old I'd think she would enjoy a little faster paced anime that focus on either solely drama or cool stuff which does - for most 13 year olds - not include classical music. So although Nodame Cantabile is one of my favourite anime ever, I don't know whether I'd recommend it to her. I'd go for shows like:

- Made in Abyss: cute characters doing cool stuff, but maybe too little drama
- Your lie in April: this is amazing and if she likes crying she will definitely like this one (also includes classical music though haha)
- Kimi ni Todoke: just really liked this drama
- Skip beat: ton of drama/romance
- Usagi drop: maybe your niece is not the right audience for this but I love this so much I have to recommend it
- Sword art online: yea I'm sorry, but for some reason this is a really good anime to start with, and even though I don't really like it anymore I loved it when I first watched it and it's a great introduction to anime.

Maybe I'll add more later, but this should do for now. Have fun watching anime with your niece :) Hopefully she'll like these!

Edit:
Shotttooo00_0000 said:

Hey I thought about adding this as well! I think I'll +1 this then :)

We've seen your lie in april for a bit, but never finished it. I assume she didn't enjoy it as we never got around to finishing it. As for the anime on the list, I have to give made in abyss a try. I believe she will love that one and usagi drop. As for skip beat and kimi ni todoke, I have to look more into them. Also thanks for recommending these anime!
Nov 30, 2019 10:04 PM
Mar 2016
Manaban said:
Assuming she's a child given your age? Shadow Star Narutaru. It's got kid friendly, pokemon-esque pet monster adventure elements while also having poignant themes for any age with a surprising amount of nuance. Yeah, let's go with that.

Very family friendly anime that has a surprising amount of maturity and depth. Tragically overlooked.

I've never heard of this one so I have to give it a try. Thanks a lot!
Nov 30, 2019 10:05 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
alienx26 said:
Manaban said:

I've never heard of this one so I have to give it a try. Thanks a lot!

Of course, I'm always glad to lend a helping hand where I can!

Nov 30, 2019 10:09 PM
Feb 2014
Going by the fact she enjoyed Fullmetal Alchemist, and likes romance/drama anime too, i would recommend you these:

Akatsuki no Yona

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon + the sequels R, S, SuperS and Sailor Stars

D.Gray-man + the sequel D.Gray-man Hallow

Donten ni Warau

Fruits Basket

Full Moon wo Sagashite

Hanasakeru Seishounen

Inu x Boku SS

Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi

Karneval

Katekyo Hitman Reborn!

Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu

Kobato.

Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau

Lovely★Complex

Matantei Loki Ragnarok

Naruto + the sequel Naruto Shippuden

Noragami + the sequel Noragami Aragoto

Shaman King

Shin Shirayuki-hime Densetsu Prétear

Sugar Sugar Rune

Tegamibachi + the sequel Tegamibachi Reverse

Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru + the sequel Zoku Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru

Tsubasa Chronicle + the sequel Tsubasa Chronicle 2nd Season

Yes! Precure 5 + the sequel Yes! Precure 5 GoGo!
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Nov 30, 2019 10:12 PM
Mar 2016
Dauphine said:
Going by the fact she enjoyed Fullmetal Alchemist, and likes romance/drama anime too, i would recommend you these:

Akatsuki no Yona

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon + the sequels R, S, SuperS and Sailor Stars

D.Gray-man + the sequel D.Gray-man Hallow

Donten ni Warau

Fruits Basket

Full Moon wo Sagashite

Hanasakeru Seishounen

Inu x Boku SS

Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi

Karneval

Katekyo Hitman Reborn!

Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu

Kobato.

Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau

Lovely★Complex

Matantei Loki Ragnarok

Naruto + the sequel Naruto Shippuden

Noragami + the sequel Noragami Aragoto

Shaman King

Shin Shirayuki-hime Densetsu Prétear

Sugar Sugar Rune

Tegamibachi + the sequel Tegamibachi Reverse

Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru + the sequel Zoku Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru

Tsubasa Chronicle + the sequel Tsubasa Chronicle 2nd Season

Yes! Precure 5 + the sequel Yes! Precure 5 GoGo!

You guys are all awesome for recommending a ton of anime I could watch with my niece! Also, naruto was my first thought when choosing the next anime because a lot of what she enjoyed from fmab is in naruto so there is a high change she'll enjoy it. I have to look into your other recommendations too, but thanks a lot
Nov 30, 2019 10:20 PM
Jul 2018
Your niece loved Heaven's Lost Property? That's interesting. I thought that anime would only have a big appeal to straight guys. My recommendations:

-Fox Spirit Matchmaker: yes, it's technically Chinese, but I think what's important is that I think your niece will really like this one. It has a very light-hearted tone, is a romance, with drama sprinkled in (although the drama isn't too heavy).

-Highschool DxD: based on your niece loving Heaven's Lost Property, I'm guessing she likes ecchi/comedy.

-Shimoneta: also an ecchi/comedy, but not as heavy on the fan service aspect as Highschool DxD.

-Death Note: it's also a fast paced shounen, so maybe it might appeal to her?

-Clannad, Kanon 2006, Air: they're all drama and romance.

-Violet Evergarden and A Silent Voice: they're not romances, but they're really focused on drama.

-Fullmetal Alchemist 2003: the story starts off similar to Brotherhood, but then takes a completely different, and darker direction.

-Spice and Wolf: romance, but not exactly a very fast paced, exciting, series, and has more emphasis on economics.

-Code Geass: like Brotherhood, the story increases in scale, but still manages to be very easy to understand.

-Angel Beats: a very over the top drama, but this makes it hard for it to be boring. I think I was around you daughter's age (I read your post that responded to @GlennMagusHarvey) when I first watched Angel Beats, and I absolutely loved it back then.

-Hibike Euphonium: I haven't watched this, but it's a drama, so it might appeal to her.

-In This Corner in the World: the 1st half of the film is very relaxing, but then the 2nd half it becomes a drama.

-Rainbow: Nisha Roubou No Shichinin: like Angel Beats, it's a very over the top drama that's hard to get bored from.
Nov 30, 2019 10:23 PM
Jan 2017
If she liked FMA:B she may really like Code Geass. They're both really plot heavy and character heavy while still having lots of action. They're also both really engahing shows and both have really mind-blowing endings that take your breath away.
Nov 30, 2019 10:41 PM
Dec 2018
Make her watch the following if she's into slice of life / comedy genre -
Wataten
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
Hinamatsuri
Hitoribocchi no Marumaru Seikatsu
Yuru Camp
Asobi Asobase
A Place Further than the Universe

The slice of life / drama starts here -
Violet Evergarden
Anohana

Romance starts here -
Tsuki ga Kirei

A mix of the above genres plus supernatural start here -
Angel Beats
Gabriel DropOut
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions!

At last, it's an obligation for a teenage girl to watch atleast one magical girl show, and nothing beats Cardcaptor Sakura.
Make sure you both watch Madoka Magica after watching Cardcaptor Sakura for a similar but complete magical girl experience.
Nov 30, 2019 10:47 PM

Oct 2017
The tricky thing when it comes to recommending something off of FMA:B is that everyone loves FMA:B, so it's kinda tricky to gauge where the best direction to go from it is.

How about "Kaguya-sama: Love is War" from this year? It's definitely got romance elements, and a lot of the show focuses on mind games and competition between the two leads akin to Death Note. I find that a lot of people who don't necessarily go for anime romance end up really liking it.

I'm also gonna recommend "Chihayafuru" (season 3 is airing right now), which has a compelling love triangle and plenty of drama revolving around adolescence and competitive karuta (a traditional Japanese card game). It starts pretty slowly but a lot of the later karuta games match and even exceed the excitement and tension of battles from action-oriented shows.
Nov 30, 2019 10:55 PM
Dec 2018
Dolabella said:

How about "Kaguya-sama: Love is War" from this year?

I forgot about this one, definitely go for it.
Nov 30, 2019 11:00 PM

Sep 2019
From what I have heard, highschool of the dead would be mind blowing for her if she likes fanservice. Let the evil 😈 side nourish before it's too late. Hahahaha
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Nov 30, 2019 11:48 PM
Mar 2016
RealTheAbsurdist said:
Your niece loved Heaven's Lost Property? That's interesting. I thought that anime would only have a big appeal to straight guys. My recommendations:

-Fox Spirit Matchmaker: yes, it's technically Chinese, but I think what's important is that I think your niece will really like this one. It has a very light-hearted tone, is a romance, with drama sprinkled in (although the drama isn't too heavy).

-Highschool DxD: based on your niece loving Heaven's Lost Property, I'm guessing she likes ecchi/comedy.

-Shimoneta: also an ecchi/comedy, but not as heavy on the fan service aspect as Highschool DxD.

-Death Note: it's also a fast paced shounen, so maybe it might appeal to her?

-Clannad, Kanon 2006, Air: they're all drama and romance.

-Violet Evergarden and A Silent Voice: they're not romances, but they're really focused on drama.

-Fullmetal Alchemist 2003: the story starts off similar to Brotherhood, but then takes a completely different, and darker direction.

-Spice and Wolf: romance, but not exactly a very fast paced, exciting, series, and has more emphasis on economics.

-Code Geass: like Brotherhood, the story increases in scale, but still manages to be very easy to understand.

-Angel Beats: a very over the top drama, but this makes it hard for it to be boring. I think I was around you daughter's age (I read your post that responded to @GlennMagusHarvey) when I first watched Angel Beats, and I absolutely loved it back then.

-Hibike Euphonium: I haven't watched this, but it's a drama, so it might appeal to her.

-In This Corner in the World: the 1st half of the film is very relaxing, but then the 2nd half it becomes a drama.

-Rainbow: Nisha Roubou No Shichinin: like Angel Beats, it's a very over the top drama that's hard to get bored from.

No I will not recommend her highschool dxd or shimoneta lol. I don't think it was the fact that heaven's lost property was an ecchi that she enjoyed,but it had it's romance moments along with comedy and she just liked that combination. As for the rest those are really good ones! Thanks!
Nov 30, 2019 11:49 PM
Mar 2016
Nine-TailedJosh said:
If she liked FMA:B she may really like Code Geass. They're both really plot heavy and character heavy while still having lots of action. They're also both really engahing shows and both have really mind-blowing endings that take your breath away.

It might come to my surprise that she will enjoy it. I'd love to see her reaction to one of my favorite anime. Thanks!
Nov 30, 2019 11:51 PM
Mar 2016
salarx said:
Wataten
Hinamatsuri
Yuru Camp
Asobi Asobase

Violet Evergarden
Anohana

Romance starts here -
Tsuki ga Kirei

Angel Beats
Gabriel DropOut

At last, it's an obligation for a teenage girl to watch atleast one magical girl show, and nothing beats Cardcaptor Sakura.
Make sure you both watch Madoka Magica after watching Cardcaptor Sakura for a similar but complete magical girl experience.

Great list. from the list, we watched dragon maid and madoka. she enjoyed dragon maid,but not so much of madoka lol. she also enjoyed anohana too. as for the rest, I'll show her to see if she enjoys them. I think she will though. thanks!
Nov 30, 2019 11:54 PM
Mar 2016
Dolabella said:
The tricky thing when it comes to recommending something off of FMA:B is that everyone loves FMA:B, so it's kinda tricky to gauge where the best direction to go from it is.

How about "Kaguya-sama: Love is War" from this year? It's definitely got romance elements, and a lot of the show focuses on mind games and competition between the two leads akin to Death Note. I find that a lot of people who don't necessarily go for anime romance end up really liking it.

I'm also gonna recommend "Chihayafuru" (season 3 is airing right now), which has a compelling love triangle and plenty of drama revolving around adolescence and competitive karuta (a traditional Japanese card game). It starts pretty slowly but a lot of the later karuta games match and even exceed the excitement and tension of battles from action-oriented shows.

Yeah I feel you lol. She fell in love with fmab and doesn't believe she'll find anything she'd like more which I don't blame her for lol. as for kaguya-sama, I heard good things about it so I'll tell her about that one. I'll also have to check out Chihayafuru since I haven't heard of that one
Nov 30, 2019 11:58 PM
Mar 2016
Peeti said:
From what I have heard, highschool of the dead would be mind blowing for her if she likes fanservice. Let the evil 😈 side nourish before it's too late. Hahahaha

My niece isn't a pervert! I'm not going to recommend her any ecchi because she doesn't like it. she hated the ecchi moments from heaven's lost property. I think the reason she enjoyed the anime was the comedic moments and the romantic moments. Any moment which wasn't perverted lol
Dec 1, 2019 12:04 AM

Sep 2019
alienx26 said:
Peeti said:

My niece isn't a pervert! I'm not going to recommend her any ecchi because she doesn't like it. she hated the ecchi moments from heaven's lost property. I think the reason she enjoyed the anime was the comedic moments and the romantic moments. Any moment which wasn't perverted lol
Why don't you go with one punch man for comedy? She may like it.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Dec 1, 2019 12:10 AM
Mar 2016
Peeti said:
alienx26 said:

Why don't you go with one punch man for comedy? She may like it.

She was viewing it, but didn't start watching it. I believe she was a bit interested in it
Dec 1, 2019 12:20 AM

Feb 2018
Since she is 13 and I discovered anime when I was a about that age, back then I really liked:

-Mirai Nikki
-Black Butler
-Another
-Ansatsu Kyoshitsu
-Free!!
-Higurashi
-Umaru-chan
-Hotarubi no Mori e
-Inu x Boku SS
-K-On!
-Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
-Kimi ni Todoke
-Kimi no na wa
-Koe no Katachi
-Mekaku City Actors
-No Game No Life
-Noragami
-Ouran Koukou Host Club
-Pandora Hearts
-Nisekoi
-Shingeki no Kyojin
-Tokyo Ghoul

And based on what I saw since then, I think she might like:
-Boku no Hero Academia
-Bungou Stray Dogs
-Durarara!!
-Kimetsu no Yaiba
-Kiznaiver
-Kyokai no Kanata
- Love Live! School Idol Project and Sunshine!!
-Made in Abyss
-Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku
-Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica
-Mahou Shoujo Site
-Miira no Kaikata
-The Nekopara OVA (the games are 18+ tho)
-Nijiiro Days
-Oshiete! Galko-chan
-Re:Zero
-Satsuriku no Tenshi
-Tamako Market
-Tate no Yuusha
-Yakusoku no Neverland

Dec 1, 2019 4:32 AM
Dec 2018
alienx26 said:
salarx said:
Wataten
Hinamatsuri
Yuru Camp
Asobi Asobase

Violet Evergarden
Anohana

Romance starts here -
Tsuki ga Kirei

Angel Beats
Gabriel DropOut

Great list. from the list, we watched dragon maid and madoka. she enjoyed dragon maid,but not so much of madoka lol. she also enjoyed anohana too. as for the rest, I'll show her to see if she enjoys them. I think she will though. thanks!

I guess Madoka is not for everyone, given that it's kind of Psychological and Dark. Maybe she'll like it in future. I guess if she loves comedy then Konosuba is definitely one to add to the list.
Dec 1, 2019 5:34 AM

Oct 2018
Comedy : Beelzebub, Saiki kusuo, Ansatsu Kyoushitsu & sakamoto desu ga
Shounen : Hunter x Hunter(2011), Kimetsu no Yaiba, Twin star exorcist & 7 deadly sins
Romance: Kimi ni Todoke, Bunny girl senpai,Toradora & Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Isekai : Isekai Shokudou,Hataraku Moau-sama!,Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo? & SAO

For currently airing ones:
- Dr.Stone
- Mairimashita! Iruma-kun
- Hataage! Kemono Michi
- Shinchou Yuusha: Kono Yuusha ga Ore Tueee Kuse ni Shinchou Sugiru

These animes are family friendly. However SAO has a graphic scene towards the end
. Also there is fan service in 7 deadly sins, HxH & Shinchou Yuusha: Kono Yuusha ga Ore Tueee Kuse ni Shinchou Sugiru.

Have fun
Dec 1, 2019 5:55 AM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Hello! I know you got a lot of good recommendations already, but I still would like to help you!
What does your niece like other than anime (e.g. video games, music, tv shows, etc??)? It might help others recommending so that they know what her taste is like.

Also, does she like magical girl shows? The genre is usually targeted at girls, with some around her age, so I have a feeling she might like some recommendations in that genre...... which I happen to watch a lot (along with romance and comedy stuff) lol

So here's some suggestions (along with some that I agree on!):
  • +1 Magic Knight Rayearth - she might enjoy this one a lot if she likes to play RPGs. also the op is frickin awesome.
  • +1 Cardcaptor Sakura - probably one of the most recommendable and best magical girl anime out there. definitely show her this, it's a great and wholesome anime with really awesome magic cards and lovable characters.
  • +1 Angel Beats - a shame she didn't like the first three episodes, i really think she needs to try this one again sometime in the future. this anime's really funny and is beautiful in a couple of ways imo.
  • +1 Air - this anime's pretty good and very underrated imo! but considering your responses about her thoughts on Angel Beats and Madoka Magica, i think you might want to hold off for some time before showing her this one—this anime has some funny and cute moments, but it also gets pretty depressing.
  • +1 Sailor Moon - Sailor Moon is a classic magical girl anime and she should definitely go watch some of it at least once. i don't think she'll like how long this original 90s anime adaptation is though (across 5 seasons, it's 200 episodes in total).
  • +1 Prétear: The New Legend of Snow White - if she loves fairy tales and/or ends up liking Sailor Moon, she might love this—it's pretty much a magical girl take on Snow White with a couple of romance and comedy bits thrown in. i think this anime has the right amount of serious drama and comedy for your niece.
  • +1 Your Name - this movie might be a little bit overrated for my taste, but if she loves romance and comedy, then go for this one! i never thought 2016 would actually be the birth of a movie with some funny and sweet romantic vibes.
  • Princess Tutu - here is another magical girl anime your niece might enjoy if she likes fairy tales—but with some ballet! the premise might sound strange, but this anime uses it to craft a story so interesting and beautiful that it honestly deserves its cult classic status on the internet. there's plenty of comedy as well as gorgeous visuals and character design, but there's also some serious drama too. (in fact, the same person who created Prétear directed this anime!)
  • Ojamajo Doremi - well what do you know, here's another magical girl anime directed by the creator of Prétear and the chief director of Princess Tutu... but this time, it's a more family-friendly anime about three human girls becoming witch apprentices! if she likes witches and music, then she'll definitely love this as the witch magic in this show is highly connected to music. doesn't really have much romance, but there's lots of silly comedy to make it up!
  • Bottle Fairy - if you want to show your niece another family-friendly anime but shorter, then Bottle Fairy might be for her! it's a pretty funny and cute episodic anime about four fairies learning about the human world, specifically about Japanese culture. also, there's puns and jokes that won't make much sense unless you have some knowledge of Japan or Japanese. still nice show to watch tho.

Basically go show her more shows directed by Junichi Sato then, I guess lol

Also, can't forget to show your niece Studio Ghibli's movies!!!
Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle are obviously the ones to show her first, but considering she likes romance and comedy, I suggest also showing her The Cat Returns—super hilarious and always a fun time when watching with friends.
Dec 1, 2019 6:05 AM

Sep 2019
Why don't you introduce her to Mal? She can choose from so many anime present here.
Dec 1, 2019 8:18 AM

May 2009
alienx26 said:
No I will not recommend her highschool dxd or shimoneta lol. I don't think it was the fact that heaven's lost property was an ecchi that she enjoyed,but it had it's romance moments along with comedy and she just liked that combination. As for the rest those are really good ones! Thanks!
I can confirm that this is basically how I approached instances of sexual content appearing as secondary features as a kid.

I was basically entirely oblivious to it, or it was the parts I just didn't care about

alienx26 said:
Holy crap how fast do the two of you go through anime? hahahaha

alienx26 said:
Okay, so your niece actually does have good taste. :D

As for Angel Beats, I think it's harder to follow, unless she just happens to like the characters.

As for Madoka Magica, the philosophical (and often rather wordy) nature of the show makes it really dry IMO.

I suggest Heartcatch Pretty Cure.
GlennMagusHarveyDec 1, 2019 8:22 AM
Dec 1, 2019 8:40 AM
Apr 2016
B: The Beginning. A bit of Full Metal Alchemist, a bit of human nature.
Re:formed
Dec 1, 2019 9:01 AM

May 2018
Everybody already mentioned:

shoujo:

Lovely Complex - yeah, the title sounds pervy but it's a romcom, nothing ecchi in it
Natsume Yuujinchou (multiple seasons + specials) - supernatural, mystery, drama

josei:

Nodame Cantabile (three seasons + specials)
Usagi Drop

So from me,
others:

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun - romcom
Little Witch Academia - what the title says

And since everybody is messing around with thrillers, horrors and mecha...I will propose some mecha that is actually OK for13 year olds.

Gundam Build Fighters - it's a sport/hobby show with some mechs from Gundam used in mock virtual fights.

For drama, how about looking for classic series from World Masterpiece Theater - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Masterpiece_Theater
alshuDec 1, 2019 11:20 AM
Dec 1, 2019 9:34 AM

Jul 2019
Your niece should definitely try Noragami.
Dec 1, 2019 9:53 AM
Mar 2016
Treuherzig said:
Since she is 13 and I discovered anime when I was a about that age, back then I really liked:

-Mirai Nikki
-Black Butler
-Another
-Ansatsu Kyoshitsu
-Free!!
-Higurashi
-Umaru-chan
-Hotarubi no Mori e
-Inu x Boku SS
-K-On!
-Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
-Kimi ni Todoke
-Kimi no na wa
-Koe no Katachi
-Mekaku City Actors
-No Game No Life
-Noragami
-Ouran Koukou Host Club
-Pandora Hearts
-Nisekoi
-Shingeki no Kyojin
-Tokyo Ghoul

-Boku no Hero Academia
-Bungou Stray Dogs
-Durarara!!
-Kimetsu no Yaiba
-Kiznaiver
-Kyokai no Kanata
-Made in Abyss
-Mahou Shoujo Site
-Miira no Kaikata
-Nijiiro Days
-Oshiete! Galko-chan
-Satsuriku no Tenshi
-Tamako Market
-Tate no Yuusha
-Yakusoku no Neverland

That is quite the list and good ones at that! I noticed a lot of you have recommended noragami. I might have to go with that one and if she doesn't like it, I have the rest of the list! Thanks
Dec 1, 2019 9:55 AM
Mar 2016
Lelouch_Joestar said:
Comedy : Beelzebub, Saiki kusuo, Ansatsu Kyoushitsu & sakamoto desu ga
Shounen : Hunter x Hunter(2011), Kimetsu no Yaiba, Twin star exorcist & 7 deadly sins
Romance: Kimi ni Todoke, Bunny girl senpai,Toradora & Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Isekai : Isekai Shokudou,Hataraku Moau-sama!,Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo? & SAO

For currently airing ones:
- Dr.Stone
- Mairimashita! Iruma-kun
- Hataage! Kemono Michi
- Shinchou Yuusha: Kono Yuusha ga Ore Tueee Kuse ni Shinchou Sugiru

These animes are family friendly. However SAO has a graphic scene towards the end
. Also there is fan service in 7 deadly sins, HxH & Shinchou Yuusha: Kono Yuusha ga Ore Tueee Kuse ni Shinchou Sugiru.

Have fun

I might use some of your recommendations for myself lol. Jokes aside, I'm really tempted to recommend her hunter x hunter. Hopefully she likes it as much as me
Dec 1, 2019 9:56 AM

Feb 2018
alienx26 said:
Treuherzig said:

-Mirai Nikki
-Black Butler
-Another
-Ansatsu Kyoshitsu
-Free!!
-Higurashi
-Umaru-chan
-Hotarubi no Mori e
-Inu x Boku SS
-K-On!
-Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
-Kimi ni Todoke
-Kimi no na wa
-Koe no Katachi
-Mekaku City Actors
-No Game No Life
-Noragami
-Ouran Koukou Host Club
-Pandora Hearts
-Nisekoi
-Shingeki no Kyojin
-Tokyo Ghoul

-Boku no Hero Academia
-Bungou Stray Dogs
-Durarara!!
-Kimetsu no Yaiba
-Kiznaiver
-Kyokai no Kanata
-Made in Abyss
-Mahou Shoujo Site
-Miira no Kaikata
-Nijiiro Days
-Oshiete! Galko-chan
-Satsuriku no Tenshi
-Tamako Market
-Tate no Yuusha
-Yakusoku no Neverland

That is quite the list and good ones at that! I noticed a lot of you have recommended noragami. I might have to go with that one and if she doesn't like it, I have the rest of the list! Thanks

No problem, and I'll happily recommend anything simmilar if she enjoys something a lot!
Noragami is the type of show younger teen girls really like and most of the fandom is girls from 11-15 years old.And its really easy to get into, most girls also get hooked to the characters for how funny and cute they are! Hope you both enjoy some shows together :)

Dec 1, 2019 10:01 AM
Mar 2016
Fario-P said:
Hello! I know you got a lot of good recommendations already, but I still would like to help you!
What does your niece like other than anime (e.g. video games, music, tv shows, etc??)? It might help others recommending so that they know what her taste is like.

Also, does she like magical girl shows? The genre is usually targeted at girls, with some around her age, so I have a feeling she might like some recommendations in that genre...... which I happen to watch a lot (along with romance and comedy stuff) lol

So here's some suggestions (along with some that I agree on!):
  • +1 Magic Knight Rayearth - she might enjoy this one a lot if she likes to play RPGs. also the op is frickin awesome.
  • +1 Cardcaptor Sakura - probably one of the most recommendable and best magical girl anime out there. definitely show her this, it's a great and wholesome anime with really awesome magic cards and lovable characters.
  • +1 Angel Beats - a shame she didn't like the first three episodes, i really think she needs to try this one again sometime in the future. this anime's really funny and is beautiful in a couple of ways imo.
  • +1 Air - this anime's pretty good and very underrated imo! but considering your responses about her thoughts on Angel Beats and Madoka Magica, i think you might want to hold off for some time before showing her this one—this anime has some funny and cute moments, but it also gets pretty depressing.
  • +1 Sailor Moon - Sailor Moon is a classic magical girl anime and she should definitely go watch some of it at least once. i don't think she'll like how long this original 90s anime adaptation is though (across 5 seasons, it's 200 episodes in total).
  • +1 Prétear: The New Legend of Snow White - if she loves fairy tales and/or ends up liking Sailor Moon, she might love this—it's pretty much a magical girl take on Snow White with a couple of romance and comedy bits thrown in. i think this anime has the right amount of serious drama and comedy for your niece.
  • +1 Your Name - this movie might be a little bit overrated for my taste, but if she loves romance and comedy, then go for this one! i never thought 2016 would actually be the birth of a movie with some funny and sweet romantic vibes.
  • Princess Tutu - here is another magical girl anime your niece might enjoy if she likes fairy tales—but with some ballet! the premise might sound strange, but this anime uses it to craft a story so interesting and beautiful that it honestly deserves its cult classic status on the internet. there's plenty of comedy as well as gorgeous visuals and character design, but there's also some serious drama too. (in fact, the same person who created Prétear directed this anime!)
  • Ojamajo Doremi - well what do you know, here's another magical girl anime directed by the creator of Prétear and the chief director of Princess Tutu... but this time, it's a more family-friendly anime about three human girls becoming witch apprentices! if she likes witches and music, then she'll definitely love this as the witch magic in this show is highly connected to music. doesn't really have much romance, but there's lots of silly comedy to make it up!
  • Bottle Fairy - if you want to show your niece another family-friendly anime but shorter, then Bottle Fairy might be for her! it's a pretty funny and cute episodic anime about four fairies learning about the human world, specifically about Japanese culture. also, there's puns and jokes that won't make much sense unless you have some knowledge of Japan or Japanese. still nice show to watch tho.

Basically go show her more shows directed by Junichi Sato then, I guess lol

Also, can't forget to show your niece Studio Ghibli's movies!!!
Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle are obviously the ones to show her first, but considering she likes romance and comedy, I suggest also showing her The Cat Returns—super hilarious and always a fun time when watching with friends.

She loves studio ghibli films and as seen both your name and angel beats on your list of recommendations. As for what she enjoys, that's quite a lot, but I'll tell you because all of you guys are helping me. For music she enjoys all kinds, but I know she particularly likes Billie ellish. She doesn't play much video games but does enjoy games such as animal crossing and stardew valley particularly well. Her favorite tv show is vampire diaries. I believe this should help and thank you for helping
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - Today

2 by mo_lave »»
1 hour ago

» 150 Chapters Manhwa/Manhua

Nizalich - Apr 21

3 by duchessliz87 »»
11 hours ago

» New(ish) Manga Reader in Need of Recommendations!

Wakarimas-en - Yesterday

4 by ToG25thBaam »»
11 hours ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

69 by WatchTillTandava »»
11 hours ago

» Planning to watch Sousou no Frieren

WitchDoc - Apr 18

10 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
Yesterday, 9:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.