Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Yearly Manga and Light Novel Rankings for 2019

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Nov 29, 2019 4:10 AM

Apr 2013
Did the anime adaptions push Kimetsu no Yaiba and 5-toubun no Hanayome that high? I had not heard about those series at all before the anime happened.

Incredible that One Piece actually got beaten, should watch Demon Slayer soon as well to see what all the fuzz is about.
Nov 29, 2019 4:20 AM
Aug 2017
Nachtwandler_21 said:

You know, Orikon rankings are generally a bit off

Thank you for admiting they're a bit off.

Nov 29, 2019 5:34 AM
Feb 2011
Ramkec said:
One Piece bros hold me, how could this happen for us to get beaten by some trash ass demons killing manga.

This can't be happening.

Btw glad for Kingdom at no.3, slowly but steadily rising up.

Don’t worry. Offical sale records tell a different story:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-11-24/demon-slayer-is-shueisha-2nd-highest-selling-manga-after-one-piece-in-2019/.153643
Nachtwandler_21 said:

You know, Orikon rankings are generally a bit off but not that much, while OP beating KnY in yearly run was reported by the publisher and does not match weekly rankings. There is a high doubt that they just do not want to recognize OP being beaten (despite both mangas being published by them).

Sorry but your arguments don’t make much sense to me. Like you said, both are owned by Shūeisha and it doesn’t make much sense for them to lie to “protect” OP. If KnY really sold more, than OP, then they would only get free promotion for the series and earn more money. OP will not get less popular, just because it is in second place. Not to mention the incredible loss of image and reputation, if their lie is uncovered.

Especially your argument:” You know, Orikon rankings are generally a bit off but not that much” does make no sense. How do you know by how much Oricon is “usually” off? I don’t know. As far as I know Oricon gets sales data from a certain amount of bookstores. I don’t know how many but it is probably less than 50%, probably only like 10% and then they probably use statistical calculations to calculate the rest.

If you ask me, I would rather trust the official source, which has 100% of the sales data, rather than an unofficial one which only has parts of it. By the way, the “weekly” charts are also by Oricon and small mistakes, throughout the whole year, add up to big mistakes at the end of it.
Nov 29, 2019 5:40 AM

Jan 2015
sim0n2170 said:
Peeti said:
Calm down. Your ass is burning. Control it or it will catch up to your baby maker.

One thing I do agree with you: Why Snk didn't sell more as I heard it's getting better and better in the manga?
Because digital market is on the rise, not many people are buying physical copies anymore as they use to. Attack on Titan does well in digital sales too.

well then this data is not really accurate, or misleading IMO. but w/e
Nov 29, 2019 5:47 AM

May 2019
The true gem of the list is Gotoubun no Hanayome outselling My Hero School and SnK
Nov 29, 2019 5:56 AM

Nov 2011
Funny how the authors can respect each other but the fans of the series feel the need to trash other series when their favorite manga sales got overtaken. Bunch of children the lots of you.
Kaiser-chanNov 29, 2019 6:00 AM

Nov 29, 2019 7:26 AM

Jun 2014
Congrats Demon Slayer, the series that dethroned One Piece after a 12 year reign. And given how backlog volumes are still selling, it could repeat the feat next year. Also, it seems like things have finally stabilized after the huge declines we've had in manga sales since 2016 (when digital sales started cannibalizing physical sales). The Top 10 has significantly higher sales than last year, and most importantly, it is probably the most diverse and interesting lineup since 2014/2015. Definitely the start of a new cycle/generation similar to 2014 when Naruto (second only to One Piece in terms of manga readers) passed the torch to the rising stars of the time (Attack on Titan, Assassination Classroom, Tokyo Ghoul, Haikyuu, Seven Deadly Sins...). This time, it seems like its Attack on Titan's time (again, second only to One Piece in number of readers) to bid farewell.

Though, some things never change, like Shueisha utterly dominating the list and One Piece towering over everything else in per volume sales.
Kuma said:
#BringBackWeeklySalesThread

back then, i was like "well, there is still ANN but then they also stop reporting it and then fuck me. the only way to found them is browsing hard to search forum post in mangahelper. god, what a disaster.

You can still find weekly manga sales here.
But still, there's nowhere for light novels so #BringBackWeeklySalesThread
Nov 29, 2019 7:49 AM
Jan 2018
So which is correct im seeing like 2 different news saying that KNY is first and another saying OP is first

ANN and crunchyroll are saying one piece are first , and another is saying demon Slayer are first
Nov 29, 2019 8:30 AM

Jul 2014
Mattinator95 said:
So which is correct im seeing like 2 different news saying that KNY is first and another saying OP is first

ANN and crunchyroll are saying one piece are first , and another is saying demon Slayer are first

ANN also posted the Oricon ranking: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-11-27/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series-2019/.153758

This is Oricon vs Shueisha. Who can you trust? Who knows.
Nov 29, 2019 10:17 AM
Feb 2019
I thought SNK would be at least top 5, I'm surprised.
Nov 29, 2019 10:38 AM

Dec 2015
The most surprising thing for me on this list is 5-toubin selling more than BnHA and SnK. Just wow.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Nov 29, 2019 11:45 AM
Aug 2009
Been a fan of OP for a decade and seeing it being outsold makes me actually happy. I'm happy for KnY, because outselling most sold manga of all time in the world, even if for one year, is an enormous accomplishment, especially for a manga that has been published barely for 2-3 years only. Like, how many can boast about such a feat? The author of KnY should feel proud.
Nov 29, 2019 11:57 AM

Jan 2008
NeoAnkara said:

Do we have an explanation on why they stopped doing it? laziness?
Nov 29, 2019 2:29 PM

Nov 2016
NeoAnkara said:

I'm getting on this train
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 29, 2019 3:15 PM

Oct 2017
Peeti said:
BestBoiEren said:
demon overratedslayer on no1 is very yikes, a garbage harem manga being this high is also????

mha shouldn't be there either, snk should be higher

rest is the same as usual.

@light_of_amphy shield hero is at the place where it belongs, in the trash
Calm down. Your ass is burning. Control it or it will catch up to your baby maker.

One thing I do agree with you: Why Snk didn't sell more as I heard it's getting better and better in the manga?

Well it getting better is subjective most in the Western community feel that it has IDK how Japan views it. I mean some people might not have liked the direction of the story from survival horror which it initially sold itself compared to more of a war drama (I am biased there since I tend to prefer war stories). Most manga as they get near the end drop off with sales though. That said the reason it's not higher is more the success of other titles than it dropping sales. It's not that drastically different from last year when looking on a volume by volume basis.

The yearly sales have dropped a bit though that might just less people buying older volumes. Series like Yaiba, The Quintessential Quintuplet and Neverland recently got anime this year so a lot more people are getting just into those series and are buying up older volumes which is why AOT despite being number two by per volume sale behind OP lost out in yearly sales. Most people who still care about it are caught up with it and there has been enough time for people to consider if they want to continue the series or not as it has been running for years and years.

Anyway I guess other notes on other titles happy March Comes in Like a Lion is selling well hopefully a S3 maybe..... some time soon I know Shaft is having some issues. LN rarely have premises that interest me but The Pharmacist's Monologue seems quite interesting. If it's selling that well hopefully an anime? Good on Kingdom for selling well.

Anyway regardless of how people feel about Yaiba it's probably good that high production shows do well in promoting their sources. May encourage better practices in the anime industry. Also yeah it would be nice if MAL started posting weekly and monthly sales again for manga/LN.
BilboBaggins365Nov 29, 2019 3:35 PM
Nov 29, 2019 3:31 PM

Jan 2016
It's crazy that 5-toubun out-topped even BnHA and SnK. Gonna start reading this ig, even tho I don't like harem.

Put aside Slime novel, its manga is always on top 10, damn.

That Oricon vs Shueisha tho.

Slime novel is strong as always. Hype for S2.

Also yea, #BringBackWeeklySalesThread
Nov 29, 2019 4:27 PM

Mar 2015
Josl said:
Ramkec said:
One Piece bros hold me, how could this happen for us to get beaten by some trash ass demons killing manga.

This can't be happening.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-11-24/demon-slayer-is-shueisha-2nd-highest-selling-manga-after-one-piece-in-2019/.153643
Nachtwandler_21 said:

You know, Orikon rankings are generally a bit off but not that much, while OP beating KnY in yearly run was reported by the publisher and does not match weekly rankings. There is a high doubt that they just do not want to recognize OP being beaten (despite both mangas being published by them).

Sorry but your arguments don’t make much sense to me. Like you said, both are owned by Shūeisha and it doesn’t make much sense for them to lie to “protect” OP. If KnY really sold more, than OP, then they would only get free promotion for the series and earn more money. OP will not get less popular, just because it is in second place. Not to mention the incredible loss of image and reputation, if their lie is uncovered.

Especially your argument:” You know, Orikon rankings are generally a bit off but not that much” does make no sense. How do you know by how much Oricon is “usually” off? I don’t know. As far as I know Oricon gets sales data from a certain amount of bookstores. I don’t know how many but it is probably less than 50%, probably only like 10% and then they probably use statistical calculations to calculate the rest.

If you ask me, I would rather trust the official source, which has 100% of the sales data, rather than an unofficial one which only has parts of it. By the way, the “weekly” charts are also by Oricon and small mistakes, throughout the whole year, add up to big mistakes at the end of it.

the problem is that shuesha announcement conflicted not just with oricon but with shueisha own circulation announcement, that's the problem. at the start of the cut-off 3 million, at the end of the cut off, 16 million. but it's magically only sales 10.7 million? unless there is huge overprinting (which is not true considering amount of reprint).

BestBoiEren said:
sim0n2170 said:
Because digital market is on the rise, not many people are buying physical copies anymore as they use to. Attack on Titan does well in digital sales too.

@sim0n2170

digital sales argument can apply to any other series, not special to SnK. as long it's not stated otherwise, (like series X sales y number digitally, like MP 100 case) lt's not that much of misleading.

Agafin said:
Kuma said:

back then, i was like "well, there is still ANN but then they also stop reporting it and then fuck me. the only way to found them is browsing hard to search forum post in mangahelper. god, what a disaster.

that's still a forum post which can't be searched, just like in mangahelper, LMAO. but thanks tho.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 29, 2019 4:52 PM

Mar 2012
-khriz- said:
NeoAnkara said:

Do we have an explanation on why they stopped doing it? laziness?
This is the thread that I made asking for sales thread.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1767995
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Nov 29, 2019 5:05 PM

Aug 2012
Kuma said:
Josl said:

the problem is that shuesha announcement conflicted not just with oricon but with shueisha own circulation announcement, that's the problem. at the start of the cut-off 3 million, at the end of the cut off, 16 million. but it's magically only sales 10.7 million? unless there is huge overprinting (which is not true considering amount of reprint).

BestBoiEren said:

@sim0n2170

digital sales argument can apply to any other series, not special to SnK. as long it's not stated otherwise, (like series X sales y number digitally, like MP 100 case) lt's not that much of misleading.

Agafin said:

that's still a forum post which can't be searched, just like in mangahelper, LMAO. but thanks tho.
Except Attack on Titan has been constantly ranked 1st for digital sales for the last 6 years. Since it’s ranked first who knows how many fans have converted over from physical copies, it’s been growing more and more than compared to if it was ranked 2nd or 3rd.
Salamander2170Nov 29, 2019 5:09 PM
Nov 29, 2019 6:11 PM

Sep 2009
Josl said:
Ramkec said:

This can't be happening.

Nachtwandler_21 said:

As far as I remember, there were 4 OP volumes this year and all sold just around 2kk. The numbers reported by Shūeisha look to high even if you consider the statistical mistakes.

Also Shūeisha reported total Kimetsu no Yaiba sales that are 1,2kk lower than reported by Orikon. I can believe that OP sales were underestimated by Orikon, but I do not believe KnY ones were this much overestimated.
Nov 29, 2019 6:18 PM

Mar 2015
sim0n2170 said:
Except Attack on Titan has been constantly ranked 1st for digital sales for the last 6 years. Since it’s ranked first who knows how many fans have converted over from physical copies, it’s been growing more and more than compared to if it was ranked 2nd or 3rd.

i would love to see the link, because most publisher didn't publish them. learn something new.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 29, 2019 6:51 PM
Nov 29, 2019 7:10 PM

Mar 2015

thank you, but as usual, it still retailer number, not publisher number. T_T

i wish publisher top shy away announcing them.
Nov 29, 2019 7:27 PM

Sep 2019
TolkienFan365 said:
Peeti said:

Well it getting better is subjective most in the Western community feel that it has IDK how Japan views it. I mean some people might not have liked the direction of the story from survival horror which it initially sold itself compared to more of a war drama (I am biased there since I tend to prefer war stories). Most manga as they get near the end drop off with sales though. That said the reason it's not higher is more the success of other titles than it dropping sales. It's not that drastically different from last year when looking on a volume by volume basis.

The yearly sales have dropped a bit though that might just less people buying older volumes. Series like Yaiba, The Quintessential Quintuplet and Neverland recently got anime this year so a lot more people are getting just into those series and are buying up older volumes which is why AOT despite being number two by per volume sale behind OP lost out in yearly sales. Most people who still care about it are caught up with it and there has been enough time for people to consider if they want to continue the series or not as it has been running for years and years.

Anyway I guess other notes on other titles happy March Comes in Like a Lion is selling well hopefully a S3 maybe..... some time soon I know Shaft is having some issues. LN rarely have premises that interest me but The Pharmacist's Monologue seems quite interesting. If it's selling that well hopefully an anime? Good on Kingdom for selling well.

Anyway regardless of how people feel about Yaiba it's probably good that high production shows do well in promoting their sources. May encourage better practices in the anime industry. Also yeah it would be nice if MAL started posting weekly and monthly sales again for manga/LN.
Yeah, I mostly see anime related things (of course it's myANIMElist) but if they had added manga into their website then better be more nice to that side as more people will know about it.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Nov 30, 2019 5:46 AM
Feb 2011
Kuma said:

I don’t follow print and sales numbers anymore but “overprinting” is normal for Shūeisha. I remember them printing over 4 Million copies for a new One Piece Volume, even though it sold only around 3 Million in a year. I don’t know how the business works but I suppose that it is probably cheaper to store them somewhere then needing to reprint every year.

Nachtwandler_21 said:

As far as I remember, there were 4 OP volumes this year and all sold just around 2kk. The numbers reported by Shūeisha look to high even if you consider the statistical mistakes.

Also Shūeisha reported total Kimetsu no Yaiba sales that are 1,2kk lower than reported by Orikon. I can believe that OP sales were underestimated by Orikon, but I do not believe KnY ones were this much overestimated.

Then let us do a little math. Most of the sales for KnY are backlog sales(means older volumes). I don’t know how many Volumes KnY has but let us say 20. The average sales per week were around 50k. So let us assume they sold 5k less than that. So 5k*20 = 100k less volumes per week. And if you do that for 20 weeks than this equals around 2 Million less sales than they thought. You can make the same calculation for One Piece. If every OP volume sold 500 copies more than they thought. Then in 52 weeks it would mean 2.5 Million more sales then estimated.

But all of this doesn’t matter. The following is my last argument and is also my strongest. I think Shūeisha is a listed company. This means you can buy shares. Those companies have to follow strict laws to protect investors. The publishing of false sales numbers is literally illegal. Not only can the board and management go to jail if they knowingly published false sales numbers, but the company would become liable and open up for lawsuits from investors if they did. If you think that the management of the company would risk going to jail and being suid into nirvana for something this insignificant like OP not being number 1 then I will never be able to change people’s opinion.
Nov 30, 2019 6:35 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
This post is off-topic, but re: #BringBackWeeklySalesThread

We stopped posting the weekly sales threads because we needed to change Oricon accounts to continue paying for access to this data. When we changed accounts, it became apparent to us that we were in violation of the Terms of Use for personal accounts—namely, that the data should not be posted elsewhere. For several weeks/months, we were investigating the possibility of a corporate account to post the Weekly sales without being in violation. To be frank, the amount of money Oricon wants is outrageous, and it is simply not financially feasible.

Since other Japanese outlets are not posting this data (likely due to the exorbitant price), we have no reliable sources for this data aside from the shortened versions of the rankings which Oricon makes publicly available. These top 10 are often similar titles, and since we'd already stopped posting the full rankings for a number of weeks, it didn't seem worthwhile to start posting a shortened version of this data again. The LN sales ranking is particularly problematic, because we were taking data from two rankings and removing the non-LN series to make the final ranking, which would not be as easily possible without full access.

We've been investigating other rankings/sales data options in Japan, but haven't found any that we deemed suitable within a reasonable price range yet.

I will post this in NeoAnkara's thread as well, so please reply to it there if you'd like to discuss further.
Nov 30, 2019 6:42 AM
Jul 2015
Josl said:
Kuma said:

I don’t follow print and sales numbers anymore but “overprinting” is normal for Shūeisha. I remember them printing over 4 Million copies for a new One Piece Volume, even though it sold only around 3 Million in a year. I don’t know how the business works but I suppose that it is probably cheaper to store them somewhere then needing to reprint every year.

Nachtwandler_21 said:

Then let us do a little math. Most of the sales for KnY are backlog sales(means older volumes). I don’t know how many Volumes KnY has but let us say 20. The average sales per week were around 50k. So let us assume they sold 5k less than that. So 5k*20 = 100k less volumes per week. And if you do that for 20 weeks than this equals around 2 Million less sales than they thought. You can make the same calculation for One Piece. If every OP volume sold 500 copies more than they thought. Then in 52 weeks it would mean 2.5 Million more sales then estimated.

But all of this doesn’t matter. The following is my last argument and is also my strongest. I think Shūeisha is a listed company. This means you can buy shares. Those companies have to follow strict laws to protect investors. The publishing of false sales numbers is literally illegal. Not only can the board and management go to jail if they knowingly published false sales numbers, but the company would become liable and open up for lawsuits from investors if they did. If you think that the management of the company would risk going to jail and being suid into nirvana for something this insignificant like OP not being number 1 then I will never be able to change people’s opinion.

For Kimetsu, they never over printed we got pics of stores with sold out Kimetsu almost everyweek and the fact that every volume sold 60-80k last week should tell about the stock issues.

For the last point Shueisha is a private company.
Nov 30, 2019 8:18 AM

Jun 2012
For manga:

I'm so happy for One Piece, Kimetsu no Yaiba, Yakusoku no Neverland, 5-toubun no Hanayome, Boku no Hero Academia, Shingeki no Kyojin, Haikyuu!!, Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai and One Punch-Man. All great and excellent series, all selling fantastically.

As for the controversy of the #1 spot, we still have conflicting information from trustful sources. But since I love both One Piece and Kimetsu no Yaiba, it really doesn't make much difference in the end to me.
I'm only going to say this: If you honestly believe that Shueisha, the biggest manga company in the world, is gonna risk getting international ridicule and possible lawsuits just so they can have one of their series on top of another of their own series in a particular ranking, you seriously need to stop reading so many conspiracy theories and come back to reality. Now, if they have outdated data of the sales and published the ranking without verifying, that's a completely different story.

Kaiser-chan said:
Funny how the authors can respect each other but the fans of the series feel the need to trash other series when their favorite manga sales got overtaken. Bunch of children the lots of you.

I know right? I mean, haters of OP and KnY are just as irrelevant as always, but it's really sad seeing fans of both series fall to the level of attacking each other.

For light novels:

I'm glad for Sword Art Online and the Kimetsu no Yaiba novels. There's also many works on that list that I need to start reading/watching.

Finally, #BringBackWeeklySalesThread
Andan210Nov 30, 2019 8:32 AM
The only True Ending is the Harem Ending.
Nov 30, 2019 8:34 AM

Mar 2015
Josl said:
Kuma said:

Nachtwandler_21 said:

your argument is full of assumption, not based on data.

1. there is report FOR UNDERSTOCKING in kimetsu, not reverse. the latest reprint is just 3 days ago. it's 25 million in circulation, based on KnY upcoming volume 18 wrap up. shueisha also boosting their 1 million initial printing (which only the second time happened in this decade for new series).
2. oricon is not simply just estimating, they tracking then put estimation on data they can't gather, and has been reputable for years. every number from previous year is from them too. the whole previous top manga sales data also from oricon, not anyone else.
3. why are you wondering oricon is very relied even among industry, because most company in japan is private company. they didn't demanded to release their sales data, neither they usually went to. this not special to manga, anime, music, novel, all the same.
4. even oda acknowledge oricon data. only people like you denial about it. to only disregard oricon this year, while using same company data for previous year where OP topping.
KumaNov 30, 2019 8:50 AM
Nov 30, 2019 8:41 AM

Oct 2013
Kuma said:
Josl said:

1. there is report FOR UNDERSTOCKING in kimetsu, not reverse. the latest reprint is just 3 days ago.
2. oricon is not simply estimating, they tracking, and has been reputable for years. every number from previous year is from them too.
3. why are you wondering oricon is very relied even among industry, because all publisher in japan is private company. they didn't demanded to release their sales data, neither they usually went to.
4. even oda acknowledge oricon data. only people like you denial about it.

Since Oricon is so unreliable perhaps we need to strip one piece of its dominance in the past 10 years because who knows if one piece deserve it or not, especially the year 2014 when it barely beat snk. So if one piece fans are saying oricon is unreliable then we should say it for all the years that one piece has been dominating as well. That's only fair.
Nov 30, 2019 8:47 AM

Mar 2015
keragamming said:
Kuma said:

1. there is report FOR UNDERSTOCKING in kimetsu, not reverse. the latest reprint is just 3 days ago.
2. oricon is not simply estimating, they tracking, and has been reputable for years. every number from previous year is from them too.
3. why are you wondering oricon is very relied even among industry, because all publisher in japan is private company. they didn't demanded to release their sales data, neither they usually went to.
4. even oda acknowledge oricon data. only people like you denial about it.

Since Oricon is so unreliable perhaps we need to strip one piece of its dominance in the past 10 years because who knows if one piece deserve it or not, especially the year 2014 when it barely beat snk. So if one piece fans are saying oricon is unreliable then we should say it for all the years that one piece has been dominating as well. That's only fair.

yeah, the whole "OP has been topping for years" is also oricon data. since shueisha never released them (which also another anomali why they doing that this year). to suddenly disregard them, only for this year, just because their favorite not in the top, is amusing and ironic to say, at least.
Nov 30, 2019 8:53 AM

Oct 2013
Kuma said:
keragamming said:

yeah, the whole "OP has been topping for years" is also oricon data. since shueisha never released them (which also another anomali why they doing that this year). to suddenly disregard them, only for this year, just because their favorite not in the top, is amusing and ironic to say, at least.

I have brought up that exact same point as well, that all of a sudden they pull these numbers out of their ass before oricon releases theirs when they have never done this before just seems shady, as if they knew op has lost and decided to cause confusion.

Because ultimately what this has done is distract everyone that one piece has lost its #1 spot and that its still up in the air whether one piece lost or not, atleast that seems to be the intention, who ever decided to release those fake numbers is a one piece fan.
Nov 30, 2019 9:11 AM

Mar 2015
keragamming said:
Kuma said:

I have brought up that exact same point as well, that all of a sudden they pull these numbers out of their ass before oricon releases theirs when they have never done this before just seems shady, as if they knew op has lost and decided to cause confusion.

Because ultimately what this has done is distract everyone that one piece has lost its #1 spot and that its still up in the air whether one piece lost or not, atleast that seems to be the intention, who ever decided to release those fake numbers is a one piece fan.

i have to disagree here, it's not fake, just misleading at some part. already posting about it above, but to explain again.

1. it was question by reporter, not that shueisha them self announced it. shueisha official twitter do repost the article, but it's common practice to do.
2. it was interview with OP editor, so it's need to be noted there. not from shueisha editorial, nor other series involved.
3. the number is for franchise, not comic volume only (including spin-off, fanbook, novel, etc). so understandable oricon number is lower.

so the guy who usually being sales nerd conclude, the OP number is correct (because match with circulation number for volume 94), it just the OP editor has outdated KnY number given to reporter, and reporter didn't bother to verify KnY number. KnY data actually match with volume 17 circulation number, IN SEPTEMBER! (who would expect KnY to increase circulation by 4 million in just 1 month? no one!).
KumaNov 30, 2019 9:17 AM
Nov 30, 2019 9:35 AM

Oct 2013
Kuma said:
keragamming said:

i have to disagree here, it's not fake, just misleading at some part. already posting about it above, but to explain again.

1. it was question by reporter, not that shueisha them self announced it. shueisha official twitter do repost the article, but it's common practice to do.
2. it was interview with OP editor, so it's need to be noted there. not from shueisha editorial, nor other series involved.
3. the number is for franchise, not comic volume only (including spin-off, fanbook, novel, etc). so understandable oricon number is lower.

so the guy who usually being sales nerd conclude, the OP number is correct (because match with circulation number for volume 94), it just the OP editor has outdated KnY number given to reporter, and reporter didn't bother to verify KnY number. KnY data actually match with volume 17 circulation number, IN SEPTEMBER! (who would expect KnY to increase circulation by 4 million in just 1 month? no one!).

Oh, I see what you are saying. But still though, I don't know why they didn't just wait on oricon results like they always do.
Nov 30, 2019 10:13 AM

Mar 2015
keragamming said:
Kuma said:

Oh, I see what you are saying. But still though, I don't know why they didn't just wait on oricon results like they always do.

exactlly, that's the weird part. my guess probably editor hyping things up as usual. like his recent "op will end in 5 year" things. would be butcher the ending if it does happen, which i really hope not.
Nov 30, 2019 12:13 PM

Sep 2013
The shueisha guy posted 12 million for OP and 10 million for kny, the oppisote of Oricon.
This is impossible since even oricon's limited data is above 12 million for kny so it can't be lower by the offical ranking, shueisha doesn't release their hard data either except for this case.

I still don't know what bleach's worldwide sales are.
Nov 30, 2019 2:24 PM
Mar 2016
BLCD said:
12m in a year... what is even the selling point of kimetsu no yaiba?
isnt it just a demon slaying shounen?
nezuko and the hype from the anime
Nov 30, 2019 2:33 PM
Mar 2016
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if KnY beat One Piece after Shueisha clears this shit up considering all of the hype around it this year.
One Piece will just begin its reign again in 2020 zzz
Nov 30, 2019 4:24 PM

Mar 2015
ichii_1 said:
The shueisha guy posted 12 million for OP and 10 million for kny, the oppisote of Oricon.
This is impossible since even oricon's limited data is above 12 million for kny so it can't be lower by the offical ranking, shueisha doesn't release their hard data either except for this case.

japan publisher didn't release worldwide sales in general.

tho the latest data from japan

BLEACH (Vol. 1 to 74) 90 million copies

http://comicdata.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-5.html

shadowblaster5 said:
BLCD said:
12m in a year... what is even the selling point of kimetsu no yaiba?
isnt it just a demon slaying shounen?

anime didn't sales manga, anime advertise manga. does it enough to make people buy the manga is different matter.
Nov 30, 2019 4:37 PM

Oct 2013
Kuma said:
ichii_1 said:

shadowblaster5 said:

anime didn't sales manga, anime advertise manga. does it enough to make people buy the manga is different matter.

lol if that is correct attack on titan has sold more than bleach with only 29 volumes.
Nov 30, 2019 6:05 PM

Mar 2015
keragamming said:
Kuma said:

lol if that is correct attack on titan has sold more than bleach with only 29 volumes.

AOT is 84 million in circulation. but oricon has it in 67 million.

https://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2144000/full/
Nov 30, 2019 6:19 PM

Oct 2013
Kuma said:
keragamming said:

I was going base off this, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_manga perhaps its world wide.
Nov 30, 2019 6:32 PM

Mar 2015
keragamming said:
Kuma said:

I was going base off this, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_manga perhaps its world wide.

it is world wide sales, and the correct number is 86 million. 76 million for japan, in 2018.

http://www.iza.ne.jp/kiji/entertainments/news/181031/ent18103108000013-n1.html
Nov 30, 2019 7:53 PM

Oct 2013
Kuma said:
keragamming said:

it is world wide sales, and the correct number is 86 million. 76 million for japan, in 2018.

I can't read japanese, but that is dated 2018 of October. So I'm pretty sure the sales has gone up since then with the release of 3 more volumes.
Nov 30, 2019 8:07 PM

Mar 2015
keragamming said:
Kuma said:

I can't read japanese, but that is dated 2018 of October. So I'm pretty sure the sales has gone up since then with the release of 3 more volumes.

yes, from 76 to 84 million.
Dec 1, 2019 7:31 AM

Jan 2018
Kimetsu no Yaiba is much more powerful manga and is new one piece to this day!
Dec 4, 2019 12:17 AM

Sep 2017
KNY beats One Piece in Japan but it's only a country , the most important numbers are sales around the world :)
yikes
Dec 4, 2019 11:09 AM
Jul 2015
ItachiDxD said:
KNY beats One Piece in Japan but it's only a country , the most important numbers are sales around the world :)

Manga market outside of Japan is pretty small other than France .
Dec 4, 2019 12:41 PM

Sep 2017
Dab1za9 said:
ItachiDxD said:

Manga market outside of Japan is pretty small other than France .

I'm french and I don't see many people around me talking about KNY so idk
yikes
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

66 by MasterZeroFX »»
20 minutes ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 8 hours ago

3 by Maumuu »»
1 hour ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
5 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.