Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 28, 2019 9:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Considering what the club has to face soon, they definitely have to put their heads together and really work on improving.

Looks more like a buildup episode. Good to see the club all together and united with the same goals in mind.
Nov 28, 2019 10:51 AM
Sep 2015
I'm not entirely convinced that Kanako was bullied because she's the one that push that girls first.

Also, I'm pretty sure a lot of people forget who is Takuto, the one that pick interest in crossdressing Yu/Maki, he's the former club member that quit in episode one because boy team always lose and it doesn't make him look cool enough to confess to his crush. I think he move to normal (not soft) tennis club but I'm wondering if he will move back to soft tennis club because he's interest in Yu/Maki crossdressing, it's possible for him to pair with Yu.

Also, parents nowadays may have the same old mindset, but they have better way to convince their son to stay straight, rather than scold at him like this. And they also have better way than this anime to convince their child to focus on study rather than club activity. But other than this personal nitpicking this episode is OK!
Nov 28, 2019 11:09 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Kanako has actually a really good talent for drawing wow
Nov 28, 2019 11:13 AM

Aug 2013
Another great episode.
Scouting their opponent while crossdressing.

I'm looking forward to the match against the girls' team.

Nov 28, 2019 11:44 AM
Jul 2018
so far, this seems to be my favorite episode. so many sensitive topics are bought up in a supportive way. the whole idea of allowing yourself to be who you truly are and reach out to your dreams no matter how "stupid" (for this world) they sound.
quite the outstanding message (i managed to forget for awhile it's all about soft tennis, it seemed real slice of life to me)
Nov 28, 2019 11:46 AM
May 2019
Typical Japanese parents stereotype, yet it gave a very real feel. So far, this has been a really real slice of life, showing both good and bad sides of a nowadays high school. I just thought maybe Maki was too much thoughtful on that speech, but it was nice otherwise.
Next episode seems great.
Nov 28, 2019 11:50 AM

Apr 2009
What the fuck is wrong with these people's mothers, is there something in the water?

Mitsue finally got to do something, I'm surprised her issues were uh, mostly subdued and didn't take a lot of screentime. That's nice, because it was too late to integrate the girl who did nothing for 7 episodes and isn't even in the club, but other hand she still largely feels like an extra (Because she is).

Yuuta now, that was quite heavy handled in ways I didn't expect. And it looks like they are not done with that sub-plot either, given Bad Mum #4 found out the whole crossdressing thing. I guess the show really wants to be a social commentary on Japanese youth and parenting.

I wish the show used Toma more and gave him more stuff to do with Maki. Him and Yuuta are supposed to be at least close friends, but the whole episode he ended up being quite distant. I guess they needed Maki to talk to Yuuta because of his background, but on other hand he's becoming a bit too sueish for me.
Jin_uzukiNov 28, 2019 1:49 PM

Nov 28, 2019 12:07 PM
May 2017
This episode was a masterpiece! Hoshiai no Sora just keeps getting better episode by episode. My rating of this might rise to 10 if the quality will keep getting even better.
Nov 28, 2019 12:15 PM

Mar 2016
The drawings felt kind of odd this episode; mostly the eyes as they weren't symmetrical.

I can see why Nao doesn't have much confidence in himself. He has one of those "caring" parents.

The guy from episode 2 is an FTM. That makes me so happy for some reason! FTMs are hardly ever represented in fiction.

Yuu is non binary or at least they could be. Sad that they're not gay, but I am happy to see a non binary character outside CLAMP works.

Maki is such a mature kid. He isn't forcing Yuu to choose a gender. I really admire that about him! Also, I love that the anime realises that gender can't be chosen.

Mitsue is actually brave in a way. I am glad we finally see more about her.

Our team is about to have their second practice-match with the girls! Yayy!!

lol! The boy from episode 1 returned and he is still kind of funny. I love how Touma— like a responsible friend—asks him to go to his match, and then adds 'and lose'. He's still kind of bitter about the guy quitting. hahah

I love how Maki and Yuu's wigs resemble real wigs and not actual hair. It takes a lot of drawing skills to create that effect.

Takeda-senpai looks like she's in love with Namie. Or maybe I am just shipping them!

Normally, I am worried about Maki at the end of episodes, but this time, I'm worried about Yuu. They got caught. I know Yuu is only a fictional character, but I won't be able to sleep properly because I am seriously worried for them.
Nov 28, 2019 12:23 PM
May 2014
I'm incredibly happy seeing non-binary representation in this anime since I'm myself non-binary. It is handled with support and care, just as the other LGBTQ+ topics in this show. Very interesting and I really enjoyed this episode (even if I think the show pushes the "parents being traumatized by their children" a whole lot.)
Nov 28, 2019 1:20 PM

Feb 2012
God I love this anime it really hits the spot for me, almost makes me scared they will ruin it somehow and it's also exciting since it's original, there are no spoilers and I will just have to keep following it
Nov 28, 2019 1:21 PM

Jan 2016
This anime really is amazing! I just want everyone to be happy at this point

Maki and Kanakos' interactions are just gold!
Nov 28, 2019 1:49 PM

Mar 2019
So many cute and pretty shipfus this season....

But i kinda like more Mitsue's feelings and mind....

In other hand, social stereotypes... always a neverending problem, cause we, the people are the real problem.
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Nov 28, 2019 2:11 PM

Nov 2019
Everyone running down to watch the episode the second it's out..

Nov 28, 2019 2:14 PM

Dec 2014
Great episode overall, but Maki is a bit of a Mary Sue who doesn't really seem to have any flaws.

For a 14-year old, he seems a bit too wise to be believable.
I need sleep.
Nov 28, 2019 2:15 PM

Feb 2016
This anime sure likes to make me hate it's characters then try to redeem them in an attempt to make them more likable. It's far way too late for Mitsue to be redeemable at this point as she only did shitty remarks criticizing the team and being highly obnoxious for 7 episodes straight. (Let alone how she has the guts to go eat at the home of a poor kid while doing nothing to earn it neither helping with it, unlike Toma who bought the food last time they were on Maki's house).
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Nov 28, 2019 2:58 PM

Jul 2017
Great Mitsue development. Actually, great development for several of the characters.

I'm very impressed with how they handled (what some may consider to be) "sensitive" topics this episode. It all felt very natural and emphasized one key point:
They're middle school students, they still don't know what they want to be.

Glad to know we're probably seeing some tennis action next episode.

Overall, fantastic series thus far. I'd give it a 9.25/10 from what we've seen.
May go higher if it sticks the landing on these final episodes.
AOTS for me without a doubt.
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

ERROR CODE 1979-NIPUL-W3EB
Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

APSAB Version: Beta.99

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

Nov 28, 2019 4:08 PM
Jan 2017
Stars Align delivers yet another fine episode! The boys face yet another challenge in their mission to keep the soft tennis club afloat, as they come up against a strong opponent in the upcoming tournament. While I admit I did find it funny that Maki and Yuta had to cross-dress to spy on a rival school, I was more impressed that Stars Align used this particular situation to explore gender identities, which helps us understand Yuta's character a bit better.

Kanako also gets a fair amount of character development in this episode. For all the rude comments she makes at Maki and the boys' expense, it's implied that deep down, she wants to be like them. She wants to chase after her dreams with the same passion and enthusiasm the boys do.

That said, not everything in this episode was perfect. Once again, Stars Align proves to have a serious obsession with flawed parenting. It's like this show wants to prove that every problem in life can be traced back to flawed parenting. This aspect of the show was intriguing at first, but now, it just feels tired and predictable. I wouldn't be surprised if yet another character was shown to have bad parents.

Even so, I still enjoy this show very much. Stars Align continues to be one of the finest shows of the season and I can't wait to see what happens next.
Nov 28, 2019 4:25 PM

Nov 2019
Hail Maki, full of grace..

I think he reached peak Mary Sue this episode..
Nov 28, 2019 4:26 PM

Dec 2010
That non-binary discussion felt kinda out of place.
Nov 28, 2019 5:01 PM

Jul 2017
man, i wanna curb stomp parents like that
Nov 28, 2019 5:02 PM

Jul 2017
Pknoctis said:

facts, was like what was the need for this at that moment other than to push LGBTQ shit on us
Nov 28, 2019 5:06 PM

Feb 2011
Pknoctis said:

It took me out of my immersion and made me think to myself "damn this anime is taking on identity politics huh"

I watch anime as a form of escapism, I am constantly reminded on a daily basis of these issues IRL, I watch anime precisely to avoid them.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing though, just that I didn't really expect it to plunge into these social and sexual issues like this. Also I'm usually very okay with drama, but I have to say the fact that each one of these kids have some sort of fucked up family circumstances is just ridiculous, give it a break, if you're aiming at realism when you're tackling sensitive topics like identity issues then at least try to make the drama a bit more believable.
Nov 28, 2019 5:08 PM
Apr 2018
With 8 episodes of greatness, is it safe to say now that this is the anime of the season?
Nov 28, 2019 5:10 PM

Feb 2011
yvanedisco said:
With 8 episodes of greatness, is it safe to say now that this is the anime of the season?

I don't know man, Chihayafuru 3, Babylon and Beastars might want to have a word with ya.
Nov 28, 2019 5:11 PM

Apr 2009
lol this anime has been tackling social issues from the first episode. It's a coming age story about Japanese youths using soft tennis as a vehicle to tell its story.

The parent stuff is kinda bad though.

Nov 28, 2019 5:13 PM

Jan 2011
quite the bold episode on it's subject matter as a Cis-male my opinion on LGBTQ+ matters doesn't weigh much but i thought the way they handled it is leaps and bounds better then most Japanese media and i don't want to reduced it to oh well they used the "known gay character to crossdress" because of course they would , because at the end of the day the point came across their middle schoolers they don't know what they what themselves to be and that's fine.

contrived is kinda the easily thing to say about how it came about though at first i thought it was just one one off screen shot of Yuta trying on clothes with his sisters so to use it as a plot point to get these discussions about was kinda ehh but still great episode.

also anime fans will remain trash judging by some reactions
Nov 28, 2019 5:15 PM

Oct 2009
GDI why does this anime make me cry week after week-....
Nov 28, 2019 5:16 PM

Nov 2019
HereticHunter said:
This anime sure likes to make me hate it's characters then try to redeem them in an attempt to make them more likable. It's far way too late for Mitsue to be redeemable at this point as she only did shitty remarks criticizing the team and being highly obnoxious for 7 episodes straight. (Let alone how she has the guts to go eat at the home of a poor kid while doing nothing to earn it neither helping with it, unlike Toma who bought the food last time they were on Maki's house).

What is there to redeem?

You're just a poor judge of character if you took her words seriously, she keeps coming to the practice and even hangs out the captain, mc and manager, she even subconsciously cheered them one time when Maki and captain to be exact against the new formed partners so what is there to redeemed? Coz she has issues? Smh, next time makes sure you at least even understood the character before nonchalantly hating on them
Haunt88Nov 28, 2019 5:20 PM
Nov 28, 2019 5:24 PM

Oct 2017
HOLY SHIT, I didn't know this show would actually dive so deep into LGBT stuff.

Also for those who thought the parents in this episode is uncommon, you're totally wrong. These types of parents are SO COMMON, especially in Asian country.

Yuta's parents' denying his son's sexuality / gender is one of the most common things LGBT suffers. This is even more true for Japanese , which is a male dominant society culture.

Also Nao's parents are super common in Asian countries too. They want to control and shape their children to their "ideal". They'd forbid x y z on their children, and complain about every "bad influence" that causes to their children.

My biggest surprise is Maki mom's friend is actually trans :P
Never see that coming. It also explain why Maki is very understanding toward Yuta's sexuality. I love how everything is interconnected and related in this show. They're not coming out of nowhere. Your living environment shape who you are.

Also I never see Maki crossdressing coming too XD. And he's not even against it one bit. Such cool-headed kid.

Ventus_SNov 28, 2019 5:37 PM
Nov 28, 2019 5:38 PM

Oct 2009
Ventus_S said:
Also for those who thought the parents in this episode is uncommon, you're totally wrong. These types of parents are SO COMMON, especially in Asian country.

Ah, you beat me to it while I've been drowned in my tears here, but this is exactly what I've been trying to gather my thoughts about. I think the anime is sort of a reality check for all too many people, especially about parents, especially since - well, anime, and especially this kind of slice of life, where the parents (and family at large) are often just not in the picture at all.

Yes, as sad as it is, these mother and father figures are way too common indeed. It might be a little miraculous to have practically everyone's parents be flawed in one way or another, but the fact is, if the story is trying to make a point of it, it does have to be somewhat condensed. And while their actions do appear bad in themselves, note that they aren't always intentional so much as misguided: the parents themselves might not know any better, because this is what they grew up in, this is how they've been brought up to think. Parenting is immensely complex, the psychological details and accompanying social constructs and expectations rooted in decades - in generations, if you like. It's not something that can be waved away with "oh they're just trash".
Nov 28, 2019 5:50 PM

Feb 2011
Ventus_S said:

I mean, nobody would have an issue with it if this was the only case, however the show is trying to make me believe that EVERY ONE these kids that ended up in this soft tennis club just so happen to have bad family circumstances. It's just too much of a coincidence for it to feel believable so instead it just feels artificial and fabricated.
Nov 28, 2019 5:52 PM

Apr 2009
It's not that people doubt these types of parents don't exist, it's the way the show presents it, we literally go from one dimensional bad parent to another, in the span of what, 8 episodes? You also have Rintaro's drama which while not quite the same, it still is another type of family drama. It's the presentation, coupled with the fact we jump from one family drama to another that makes it cringey.

This episode we had THREE bad mothers (Including Mitsue's mother, which we never saw, but the show made sure to mention her) and the show hasn't even started touching the hot mess that is Toma's mother.

Nov 28, 2019 5:54 PM

Jul 2009
Hatsuyuki said:

I watch anime as a form of escapism, I am constantly reminded on a daily basis of these issues IRL, I watch anime precisely to avoid them.

And a lot of women watch anime as forms of escapism too from the rampant sexual harassment and assault we have to endure ourselves in real life or hear/read about every day in the news, and yet we're constantly bombarded with rape jokes or harassment/assault being played off for laughs in tons of anime genres. I gave up on expecting anime to stop being sexist ages ago. So get over it. Not every anime is gunna cater to your needs, so stop expecting it to.
Nov 28, 2019 6:04 PM

Oct 2017
Hatsuyuki said:
Ventus_S said:

I mean, nobody would have an issue with it if this was the only case, however the show is trying to make me believe that EVERY ONE these kids that ended up in this soft tennis club just so happen to have bad family circumstances. It's just too much of a coincidence for it to feel believable so instead it just feels artificial and fabricated.

Well tbf:

Rintarou has a normal loving family. The only thing "strange" (not really) is he's adopted.

Shingo seems to have a happy family since he and his young sister interaction looks super normal.

Nao's parents are just your everyday Asian parent archetype, nothing really special here. Not even abnormal... I feel like most Asian kids actually suffer this issue at least a few times during their childhood.

Yuta wasn't originally in the tennis club anyway, he's invited by Maki.
Parents denying their children's sexuality / gender, not understanding them is kinda like.. the most common thing you can ever see in real life family.
Like, most straight parents will never accept their children that way. For Yuta he's not only just gay, but also unsure of his gender which make things even more complicated. Most of the time children have to hide it forever, or move out and cut ties with their parents forever.

We don't know much about Tsubasa and Taiyou yet but base on their personality they seem to have a pretty normal family. That's why they're often used as comedic relief characters most of the time.

The only real special case here is probably Maki's dad, Itsuki's mom, and Toma's mom.

Also just think about it , is your parents really as good as you think they are back when you're young? Did they not commit at least one or two bad things you disagree on/ don't understand? I'd be surprised if they didn't because that means you're super lucky to born in a perfect family. All this show do is showcase those moments which actually happened in your everyday life.

Also I want to quote a reddit post here:
"I think a lot of people are getting it backwards. The boys were specifically drawn together into this soft tennis team because they had dysfunctional relationships with their parents. They were a dysfunctional team because these relationships were draining all the motivation out of them.
It's not just coincidence."
Ventus_SNov 28, 2019 6:18 PM
Nov 28, 2019 6:13 PM

Feb 2011
Talim said:
Hatsuyuki said:

And a lot of women watch anime as forms of escapism too from the rampant sexual harassment and assault we have to endure ourselves in real life or hear/read about every day in the news, and yet we're constantly bombarded with rape jokes or harassment/assault being played off for laughs in tons of anime genres. I gave up on expecting anime to stop being sexist ages ago. So get over it. Not every anime is gunna cater to your needs, so stop expecting it to.

Doesn't mean I can't express my negative opinion of it. After all, it is a discussion forum. I understand it's probably an unpopular opinion but either way, my gripe resides in the fact that I found the scene to be unnatural in an otherwise very natural show until this point. The scene felt a bit too much like an after school special. It's obvious that Maki is the voice piece of the writers because no matter how enlightened, 14 year old boys don't talk exactly like a lecture from a social studies teacher. It's pretty clumsy narratively but I guess they mean well.
Nov 28, 2019 6:21 PM

Mar 2014
This show is becoming more of a mess with each episode. Can't it just choose one topic to focus on and make an episode around that topic? I mean, Nao was depressed the whole episode, but at the end he's fine and cheering with everyone else? And what about his mommy issues?

And I get the message the show is trying to convey, but it's just so "in your face" that it's hard for me to take it seriously, specially in that dialogue when Maki suddenly starts talking about the meaning of life or whatever. It makes it hard to sympathize like that.
Also, Mitsue is obviously in the wrong there, pushing those girls out of nowhere. You just feel bad for her because it's from her POV. And pushing those girls wasn't even necessary to begin with.

And finally, another character with mommy issues. Whoa.
It's funny how this show brings up so many dramas but hardly resolves them. Makes you wonder how they're going to settle it all with 12 episodes, plus all the dramas it will eventually bring up in the next episodes, while still closing the main plot.

Nov 28, 2019 6:24 PM
Apr 2018
Hatsuyuki said:
yvanedisco said:

I don't know man, Chihayafuru 3, Babylon and Beastars might want to have a word with ya.

Just tweeted earlier my top 4 on twitter, Babylon and Chihayafuru S3 are in it. But Hoshiai is really the one that stood out for me. Can't I have my own opinion?
Nov 28, 2019 6:34 PM

Jul 2017
ok the MTF thing was not expected at all, really like how they subtly played it in without overly emphasizing it. In fact, I like in general how this show has a more flow when talking about these topics rather than stuffing them with drama at every instance possible

and Nao's mom, oof I can definitely relate

also lowkey Mitsue x Maki ship moments

Hatsuyuki said:
Talim said:

Doesn't mean I can't express my negative opinion of it. After all, it is a discussion forum. I understand it's probably an unpopular opinion but either way, my gripe resides in the fact that I found the scene to be unnatural in an otherwise very natural show until this point. The scene felt a bit too much like an after school special. It's obvious that Maki is the voice piece of the writers because no matter how enlightened, 14 year old boys don't talk exactly like a lecture from a social studies teacher. It's pretty clumsy narratively but I guess they mean well.

let's be real, age is pretty irrelevant in anime in terms of defining characters. Like Your Lie in April has 14-year-olds making poetic/pretentious/enlightened/whatever you want to call it, dialogue all the time even more over the top than say this show lol, but it still delivers its message across
Nov 28, 2019 6:58 PM

Oct 2017
Hatsuyuki said:
yvanedisco said:

Beasters seems like it's going to turn into your typical love polygon drama XD. With the setting of the story, even killing and violence could happen. Certainly interesting to dive in.

Babylon animation certainly will win, for story, so far it isn't as strong and impactful.

Never watched Chihayafuru previous season before so no opinion.

As another contender of AOTS (since you include sequel), highly recommend give Kono Oto Tomare S2 a go too if you like Stars Align.
The drama is a little less realistic but the execution and resolution of each of them are sooo good. It is your typical "everything goes from super bad to so sweet" type of drama.
Nov 28, 2019 6:59 PM

Oct 2015
This was a good episode, with lots of issue addressing. The person who made this must've been so open minded and definitely smart.

Mitsue's stuff about dreams and how the soft tennis club inspired her, made me tolerate her a bit.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Nov 28, 2019 7:02 PM

Feb 2011
Ventus_S said:
Hatsuyuki said:

Beasters seems like it's going to turn into your typical love polygon drama XD. With the setting of the story, even killing and violence could happen. Certainly interesting to dive in.

Babylon animation certainly will win, for story, so far it isn't as strong and impactful.

Never watched Chihayafuru previous season before so no opinion.

As another contender of AOTS (since you include sequel), highly recommend give Kono Oto Tomare S2 a go too if you like Stars Align.
The drama is a little less realistic but the execution and resolution of each of them are sooo good. It is your typical "everything goes from super bad to so sweet" type of drama.

I watch it, I don't see what makes the drama in Kono Oto Tomare less realistic than in this show though. Especially since I've been pretty harsh on this show's drama for a few episodes now. But yes, Kono Oto Tomare is very good, I do think the production values gives it a cheap look and that might be why people would be inclined to avoid it. Will definitely pick up the manga after the anime ends though.
Nov 28, 2019 7:10 PM

Feb 2016
YggdraSEED said:
HereticHunter said:

What is there to redeem?

You're just a poor judge of character if you took her words seriously, she keeps coming to the practice and even hangs out the captain, mc and manager, she even subconsciously cheered them one time when Maki and captain to be exact against the new formed partners so what is there to redeemed? Coz she has issues? Smh, next time makes sure you at least even understood the character before nonchalantly hating on them

I don't know man. She's just that unlikable, It's not about to "understand" her character, please, understand that she gets on my nerves, pointing the obvious on scenes we can tell what's happening, keeps being a nuisance each scene she's in and what not. I don't care if she's being "tsun" about it, she's annoying and serves almost no purpose but to point what's already obvious.

"understanding" her won't make me automatically like her either, so keep that to yourself.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Nov 28, 2019 7:29 PM
Feb 2019
The representation in this anime is so good... I might cry...
Nov 28, 2019 11:51 PM

May 2018
Talim said:

I agree completely, this double-standard is absolutely ridiculous when the vast majority of anime is overwhelmingly straight cis-male oriented. There’s only one other show that has ever taken an honest and open approach to gender identity issues and it came out almost a decade ago, but somehow this constitutes shoving an agenda down the throats of insecure boys and men that act like insecure boys.

The thing is, just like vegans, bigots have to constantly make their bigoted views known so that they can search out for other bigots and hopefully get their shitty views validated. I’m not calling out anyone in specific, but if the shoes fits go ahead and wear it. Or you know, you could always consider adopting an open and empathetic attitude once in a while for a refreshing change of pace and less assholeness in your life. Also, FYI, human rights should have nothing to do with politics so everyone really needs to stop saying that.

Ventus_S said:
Also just think about it , is your parents really as good as you think they are back when you're young? Did they not commit at least one or two bad things you disagree on/ don't understand? I'd be surprised if they didn't because that means you're super lucky to born in a perfect family. All this show do is showcase those moments which actually happened in your everyday life.

Anyone who thinks that the majority of parents don’t all have some kind of issue is living in a giant entitlement bubble and I doubt they’ve ever seen the real side of their parents either.

What’s unrealistic is all of these expectations for a fairytale-like story that features fictional characters with zero humanistic traits. If someone is seeking out these types of stories, there are hundreds of shows that fit. But I guess most would rather be ignorant than allow the realities of the world into their precious fictional anime stories.
Nov 28, 2019 11:55 PM

Nov 2010
this_shit_again said:
Hail Maki, full of grace..
I think he reached peak Mary Sue this episode..
His friend acknowledged he is an ESPer.

EdHaku said:
This show is becoming more of a mess with each episode. Can't it just choose one topic to focus on and make an episode around that topic? I mean, Nao was depressed the whole episode, but at the end he's fine and cheering with everyone else? And what about his mommy issues?

And I get the message the show is trying to convey, but it's just so "in your face" that it's hard for me to take it seriously, specially in that dialogue when Maki suddenly starts talking about the meaning of life or whatever. It makes it hard to sympathize like that.
Also, Mitsue is obviously in the wrong there, pushing those girls out of nowhere. You just feel bad for her because it's from her POV. And pushing those girls wasn't even necessary to begin with.

And finally, another character with mommy issues. Whoa.
It's funny how this show brings up so many dramas but hardly resolves them. Makes you wonder how they're going to settle it all with 12 episodes, plus all the dramas it will eventually bring up in the next episodes, while still closing the main plot.
I second that. As this thread shows, more and more audience must be getting irritated now.

Hatsuyuki said:
yvanedisco said:

I don't know your definition of "AOTS", but you can see MAL users' collective opinion in this list. Use the pull-down menu 'sort (by score)'. You can find this series comes in 8th.
Nov 29, 2019 12:05 AM

Jan 2016
Really loved this episode of Hoshiai no Sora.

Honestly, I found Mitsue a bit annoying and a jerk at first, but after a few episodes I started warming up to her. I think the reason she became a cynical was because the way her mom and the people online treated her and treated what she liked (art) as a whole. She didn't like how the team was working hard and enjoying what they liked when people around her brought her down because of what she liked. At least she's warming up to the team and helping them out a bit more now.

I also loved how they went through the LGBT+ part with Maki and Yuu. I think it's really great that they know about things like that at a young age, because when I was at that age, I used to say mean things about gay and trans people when I was actually gay myself, but didn't accept it. I may have cried a bit in this part. Also, I DEFINITELY was surprised to find out the friend of Maki's mom was trans, but I didn't really care if he was or wasn't. I don't think it matters if someone was born a boy or a girl, what matters is that they know who they are and what they want to be.

They also gave us more on the other families in the team, like with Yuu. For Yuu's mom, I don't really think that it's her fault she treated Yuu that way, but I know it's definitely wrong. Society (especially in Japan) has deemed people like Yuu as not "normal," and I think this is why their mom reacted that way. Maybe if she will listen to Yuu and understand that their happiness and more important then what society says about people like them, then maybe she wouldn be more understanding.

On the other hand, for Nao's mom, I think it's her fault, but I can't say for sure. From my viewpoint, it kinda seems like she wants Nao to get a lot of good things in life so that she can also have them. She didn't look like she cared about what her son liked, but cared more about what she herself liked. I think a lot of Asian parents are like that. They try to get their children to do what they want and ban the things they wouldn't like even if the children like it, and they want society to see their children as good and wonderful things so that they will be praised as the people who raised them. Again, I can't say for sure if this is the case for Nao's mom.

All in all, this episode is one of my favourite episodes in all the anime this season, and I can't wait to see how the rest will go.
Nov 29, 2019 1:24 AM

Nov 2010
While I appreciate LGBT+ characters and anime tackling issues related to it, it felt bit heavy handed to me in this ep and went bit too much to educational territory. Not that i hated it, but I prefer more to show not tell. And that talk kinda feltl like main point of today's ep. I preferred more the substle approach the show had in the beginning about Yuu being gay than full on terminology lesson.

In other hand the show in general is kinda preachy, someone is having some kind of issue with their parents or themselves, they talk about it to either Maki or Toma and get big speech that makes them feel better. So maybe the show could also ease about that, it's just getting bit repetitive. But i guess we will get more sport focused eps in the future as well. Not that man left to wrap this up though.
Nov 29, 2019 2:02 AM

Apr 2016
spicychile said:

For a 14-year old, he seems a bit too wise to be believable.

Agree. Instead of having a teenager with super power we get one with super maturity and an attitude that could put to shame many many real adults.

Even if I'm wondering wether that kind of kid would really exist (it could if you have the right parents) I'm ok with it and the thing to remember is the makers of this show really and obviously (someone said "preachy") want to send an educative message (toward kids and toward adults it seems). It's not a "turn off you brain" kind of anime and I'm, again, ok with it.
Nov 29, 2019 2:29 AM

Oct 2017
jd2001z said:
Really loved this episode of Hoshiai no Sora.

Honestly, I found Mitsue a bit annoying and a jerk at first, but after a few episodes I started warming up to her. I think the reason she became a cynical was because the way her mom and the people online treated her and treated what she liked (art) as a whole. She didn't like how the team was working hard and enjoying what they liked when people around her brought her down because of what she liked. At least she's warming up to the team and helping them out a bit more now.

I also loved how they went through the LGBT+ part with Maki and Yuu. I think it's really great that they know about things like that at a young age, because when I was at that age, I used to say mean things about gay and trans people when I was actually gay myself, but didn't accept it. I may have cried a bit in this part. Also, I DEFINITELY was surprised to find out the friend of Maki's mom was trans, but I didn't really care if he was or wasn't. I don't think it matters if someone was born a boy or a girl, what matters is that they know who they are and what they want to be.

They also gave us more on the other families in the team, like with Yuu. For Yuu's mom, I don't really think that it's her fault she treated Yuu that way, but I know it's definitely wrong. Society (especially in Japan) has deemed people like Yuu as not "normal," and I think this is why their mom reacted that way. Maybe if she will listen to Yuu and understand that their happiness and more important then what society says about people like them, then maybe she wouldn be more understanding.

On the other hand, for Nao's mom, I think it's her fault, but I can't say for sure. From my viewpoint, it kinda seems like she wants Nao to get a lot of good things in life so that she can also have them. She didn't look like she cared about what her son liked, but cared more about what she herself liked. I think a lot of Asian parents are like that. They try to get their children to do what they want and ban the things they wouldn't like even if the children like it, and they want society to see their children as good and wonderful things so that they will be praised as the people who raised them. Again, I can't say for sure if this is the case for Nao's mom.

All in all, this episode is one of my favourite episodes in all the anime this season, and I can't wait to see how the rest will go.

Glad that someone has nearly exact same point of view as mine.

When an anime can bring out all those deeper analysis / discussion in each of their episodes (though one may not agree with one another), you KNEW the anime is doing a really good job because it actually make people THINK for once, and try to interpret all the things happened to each characters.

Let's face it, this is actually quite a rare thing you can see in nowaday anime industry. Most of the time you'd just see a bunch of people praising how cool the battle/ animation is on one particular episode, and how x episode makes them cry because some tragedies happened to y characters.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hoshiai no Sora Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2019

238 by thatguyevan »»
Apr 11, 9:46 PM

» "Special Fan Movie" Has Been Released

zamandzoe - May 20, 2020

22 by quietkun27 »»
Feb 23, 7:16 AM

Poll: » Hoshiai no Sora Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

130 by Limi »»
Dec 24, 2023 6:31 AM

» Continuation...

Kurdo - Apr 19, 2021

19 by DmonHiro »»
Nov 25, 2023 4:48 PM

» Some scenes missing in Crunchyroll?

KYSmequick - Oct 15, 2023

3 by heelyfrog »»
Nov 15, 2023 1:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.