Forum Settings
Forums

To the "People" who say watching Dubbed anime is not watching anime.

New
Nov 28, 2019 4:53 PM

Dec 2010
I came across this issue in another thread so I wanted to post about it here to tell these "People" that it does not matter if you watch the anime Subbed or Dubbed you are still watching that anime.

I watch mostly dubbed since I watch most of the anime I watch on funimation and if they have a simuldub I will watch it over watching the subbed version. It's called a personal preference. What these people have said just makes me angry what kind of person thinks this way.

"People" is in quotes to avoid putting an expletive or an insult in the thread title
kingdommoutenfanNov 28, 2019 7:28 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 28, 2019 5:00 PM
Jul 2018
drstonefan said:
What these people have said just makes me angry what kind of person thinks this way.

the kind of person with the Correct Opinion that subs are better :D
Nov 28, 2019 5:12 PM

May 2009
KairoSeijuro said:
drstonefan said:
What these people have said just makes me angry what kind of person thinks this way.

the kind of person with the Correct Opinion that subs are better :D
No, you mean the kind of person with the incorrect sense of trying to declare one better than the other rather than understanding that it's up to personal preference. :P
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Nov 28, 2019 5:33 PM

Nov 2008
Lol I can't believe anyone would say something that stupid...why should the language track matter!?

Nov 28, 2019 5:35 PM

Dec 2010
Chiibi said:
Lol I can't believe anyone would say something that stupid...why should the language track matter!?

I didn't think someone would say that either but I saw a couple on the the Dubbed vs Subbed thread it's so very moronic to think that way.
Nov 28, 2019 5:38 PM

Aug 2018
Being someone who always has subtitles on whether it's a japanese or english dub, I have to say i definitely prefer the sound of japanese voices over english voices. I can't seem to get used to an english voice, so for that reason I only listen to japanese voice with english subtitles.
Nov 28, 2019 5:41 PM

Oct 2015
You're still watching anime, just not listening to one. :P
Nov 28, 2019 5:47 PM

May 2009
XquisiteWig said:
You're still watching anime, just not listening to one. :P
Well to be fair I wouldn't be listening to one either way. :P
Nov 28, 2019 5:51 PM

Jun 2019
Any idiot that says such a dumb statement is being an elitist troll imo. I think most anime fans would agree that most dubs aren't up to the same high standard as there Japanese counterparts, and the pool of dub voice actors is very small, so you hear the same VA in show after show.

Saying that watching a dubbed version of a show is the same as not watching the show at all, or that this persons opinion is worthless because they only saw the dubbed version, is a retarded statement to make, which leads me to deduce that it's an elitist troll shit-posting to get reactions (which we just have, doh).

If you are happy with the dubbed voice acting for a show then that's all that matters. I prefer to watch dubs if possible so I don't have to read subtitles as it allows me to fill my boots up on the visual aspects of the show I'm watching, as anime is primarily a visual medium. So for me taking time up reading subtitles detracts from the watching experience, but that is just my subjective opinion.

I know that some people can't stand dubs, and that's cool. The main argument I hear is that the english dub industry is too small (mainly funimation for airing shows), so you hear the same voices frequently. I personally enjoy listening to a large number of the female dub voice actresses (Cherami Leigh, Monica Rial, Jad Saxton, Colleen Clinkenbeard, Britney Karbowski...), so it's actually a positive attributing factor to my watching experience, not a negative one.

I remembered one scenario where dubbed anime is often better, and that's for shows like Azur Lane & Infinite Stratos, where you have girls from different regions, particularly European countries. The dub VA are able to mimic the different accents better than their Japanese counterparts, whose various accented Japanese accents I'm not able to differentiate between (I don't know what Japanese with a German or French inflection should sound like, I've heard French with a Scottish accent though, lol). So that's one area where dub VA are better than the originals.
23feanorNov 30, 2019 11:32 AM
Nov 28, 2019 5:53 PM

Nov 2007
When you watch dubbed anime, you are watching DUBBED ANIME.
When you are watching subbed anime, you are watching SUBBED ANIME.
When you are watching raw anime, you are watching ANIME.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Nov 28, 2019 5:54 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
why are you putting people in quotation marks

is viewing dubs as inferior to subs suddenly a sign of sub-humanity

Nov 28, 2019 5:57 PM

Dec 2010
23feanor said:
Any idiot that says such a dumb statement is being an elitist troll imo. I think most anime fans would agree that most dubs aren't up to the same high standard as their Japanese counterparts, and the pool of dub voice actors is very small, so you hear the same VA in show after show.

Saying that watching a dubbed version of a show is the same not watching the show, or that this persons opinion is worthless, is a retarded statement to make, which leads me to deduce that it's an elitist troll shit-posting to get reactions.

If you are happy with the dubbed voice acting for a show then that's all that matters. I prefer to watch dubs if possible so I don't have to read subtitles as it allows me to fill my boots up on the visual aspects of the show I'm watching, as anime is primarily a visual medium. So for me taking time up reading subtitles detracts from the watching experience, but that is just my subjective opinion.

I know that some people can't stand dubs, and that's cool. The main argument I hear is that the english dub industry is too small (mainly funimation for airing shows), so you hear the same voices frequently. personally like a lot of the female dub voices (Cherami Leigh, Monica Rial, Jad Saxton, Colleen Clinkenbeard, Britney Karbowski...), so it's actually a positive attributing factor for my watching experience, not a negative one.

Favorite reply you said it in the best possible way.^^^^^^
Nov 28, 2019 5:58 PM

Dec 2010
Manaban said:

I put them in quotation marks to not say morons in the thread title
Nov 28, 2019 5:58 PM
Jul 2018
Those "people" actually know that they're wrong: I don't understand why you made a thread about this.
Nov 28, 2019 6:02 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
drstonefan said:
Manaban said:

Do it puny nerd

Don't hold back, go all out

offend the world with your use of the word "moron"

Nov 28, 2019 6:06 PM

Dec 2010
Manaban said:
drstonefan said:

Do it puny nerd

ok then well I did not want to put an insult in the thread title.
Nov 28, 2019 6:09 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
drstonefan said:
Manaban said:

Do it puny nerd

DO IT SMALL DWEEB

PUT MORON IN THREAD TITLE

I COMMAND THEE

Nov 28, 2019 6:44 PM
Jul 2018
RealTheAbsurdist said:
Those "people" actually know that they're wrong: I don't understand why you made a thread about this.
Well, OP was under the impression they generally thought that, so even if you think you are right it still wouldn't lose its original reason for existing. You aren't really adding anything or being constructive if you don't explain yourself beyond this. How do you know those people are aware they are wrong?
Nov 28, 2019 6:45 PM
Jul 2018
Peaceful_Critic said:
RealTheAbsurdist said:
Well, OP was under the impression they generally thought that, so even if you think you are right it still wouldn't lose its original reason for existing. You aren't really adding anything or being constructive if you don't explain yourself beyond this. How do you know those people are aware they are wrong?

I mean, nobody in their right mind thinks watching dubbed anime is not watching anime.
Nov 28, 2019 6:47 PM
Jul 2018
RealTheAbsurdist said:
Peaceful_Critic said:

I mean, nobody in their right mind thinks watching dubbed anime is not watching anime.
Not everyone is in their right mind though.
Nov 28, 2019 6:51 PM
Jul 2018
drstonefan said:
Manaban said:

Do it puny nerd

"people" is a lot more insulting imo. I rather be called stupid than implied to be a non-human.
Nov 28, 2019 6:53 PM
Mar 2018
Bro , just ignore them weebs lol, its no use of arguing with fools, sad thing is you can 't make them understand. Ever.

They are on the mercy of subtitles, tell them to watch raw XD
ccbestgirl1411Nov 28, 2019 6:58 PM
Nov 28, 2019 6:53 PM

Oct 2014
There are anime dubs where the changes in translation conveys a different meaning or emotion than was originally intended by its creators. Happens often in comedies since Japanese humor doesn't translate well to English. If I remember correctly, Funimation's dub of Kobayashi's Dragon Maid pushed SJW bullshit. Another of their dubs did the same, but I can't remember which. Those are rare instances, but I'd say the change is significant enough to ignore those adaptations entirely, so I can understand to a certain extent. Watching primarily dubs also limits the amount of anime one is open to. If they're in the beginner to average level, then it wouldn't bother most, though.

In the end, it boils down to personal preference as you said. There's really no reason to let such thoughts get to you if you enjoy it that way.

Nov 28, 2019 6:57 PM
BL Connoisseur

Oct 2008
I always prefer mine subbed and would never watch dubbed anime (that's a thing of my childhood, when access to anime hadn't always been as easy as it is today), but I honestly don't mind people who watch dubs or prefer dubs. Personal preference. it's weird to say that one hasn't 'truly' watched anime if they didn't watch it in Japanese... that's just stupid.

What about people who want to enjoy the medium but have disabilities that prevent them from reading subs, such as dyslexia? So should they just be considered not having watched the anime? It doesn't make sense to me.

Watch what you want however you want to, fam! Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

I am forever your most devoted believer.

Nov 28, 2019 6:58 PM

Dec 2010
Steiner1411 said:
Bro , just ignore them weebs lol, its no use of arguing with fools, sad thing is you can 't make them understand. Ever.

You have a point there morons will always be just morons can't reason with them.
Nov 28, 2019 7:03 PM

Jul 2019
Dubs in my language are terrible and sometimes they even change the names, and the traduction in general is just wrong. It's also the same voice actors every time. And not every anime is dubbed. So if this is the same with english dubs I wonder why some people would prefer that over subs? No offense though, I'm just curious. Do you like the voices in general? Is it something else? Please explain because I really don't understand the appeal there.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Nov 28, 2019 7:03 PM

May 2009
Manaban said:
drstonefan said:

DO IT SMALL DWEEB

PUT MORON IN THREAD TITLE

I COMMAND THEE
YOU DO IT

BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE :-DDDDD
Nov 28, 2019 7:17 PM

Dec 2010
Nubiellee said:
Dubs in my language are terrible and sometimes they even change the names, and the traduction in general is just wrong. It's also the same voice actors every time. And not every anime is dubbed. So if this is the same with english dubs I wonder why some people would prefer that over subs? No offense though, I'm just curious. Do you like the voices in general? Is it something else? Please explain because I really don't understand the appeal there.

I like the voices most of the time sometimes there are not so good or awful dubs that I will not watch and if subbed is the only way to watch then I will watch it that way.
Nov 28, 2019 7:24 PM

Oct 2013
Any particular reason why "people" is in quotes?

That aside, I do agree argument that people who watch dubs aren't real fans is bullshit. Hell, there are certain anime I prefer to watch in dub. Hellsing Ultimate, Black Lagoon, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Desert Punk, and of course DBZ and most of Super, all watched exclusively in dubbed and all of the dubs were really good. And when I watch Ghost Stories there's no way I'm not going for the hilarious dub over the original.

I fail to see how doing this makes anyone less of a fan.
Nov 28, 2019 7:26 PM

Dec 2010
Setsuei said:

That aside, I do agree argument that people who watch dubs aren't real fans is bullshit. Hell, there are certain anime I prefer to watch in dub. Hellsing Ultimate, Black Lagoon, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Desert Punk, and of course DBZ and most of Super, all watched exclusively in dubbed and all of the dubs were really good. And when I watch Ghost Stories there's no way I'm not going for the hilarious dub over the original.

I explained this I did not want to put an insult in the title of the thread
Nov 28, 2019 7:27 PM

Jun 2015
You lose the essence and cultural aspect of the anime and only experience the cringy, scripted english dialogue that I would never expect to hear from another human's mouth. English dub is god awful and I can't imagine how you could listen to such drivel.
Read Toriko!
Nov 28, 2019 7:30 PM

Jan 2018
I find most dubs to be cringy, but whatever. If someone prefers dubs, cool. To each their own. I have my own exceptions, like Cowboy Bebop and Baccano. Clips of the Black Lagoon dub looked great too, so I might opt for that when I eventually watch it.

Now, with that said, I will say that the reason people defend subs so vehemently is that the character interactions in any given show will highly depend on the personality of the voices behind the characters. The dub and sub experiences are oftentimes so different that it's basically like watching two separate shows. For example, a friend of mine who originally disliked K-On after seeing it dubbed is rewatching it and loves it this time around. He said that it feels like entirely different characters, which is exactly the case.

At the end of the day, it's all still anime, though. No way is right or wrong... just go with whatever you enjoy. =)

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Nov 28, 2019 7:30 PM

Dec 2010
phantom346 said:
You lose the essence and cultural aspect of the anime and only experience the cringy, scripted english dialogue that I would never expect to hear from another human's mouth. English dub is god awful and I can't imagine how you could listen to such drivel.

Because I like English Dubs or is that too hard for you teeny tiny brain to understand I have not come across that many bad dubs sometimes changes are needed to make it understandable.
Nov 28, 2019 7:31 PM

Oct 2013
drstonefan said:
Setsuei said:

I see that now, but that wasn't there when I first posted.
Nov 28, 2019 7:33 PM

Dec 2010
Setsuei said:
drstonefan said:

I edited my post so nobody else would have this question.
Nov 28, 2019 7:39 PM

Oct 2013
drstonefan said:
Setsuei said:

I edited my post so nobody else would have this question.

Ah, ok, makes sense. Anyways I appreciate the fact you chose to use "people" instead. Most people on here wouldn't have even given it a second thought.
Nov 28, 2019 7:56 PM

Nov 2019
phantom346 said:

I thought the 4kids era was over? I mean I'm a subbie elitist too, but my main gripe has always been the atrocious job 99% of dubs do with mixing and mastering. One too many earshattering squees is enough to make me hate dubs even more than 4kids was able to.

About the only dubs I've ever liked were comedic abridged or stuff like AMV Hell (specifically Zero/Div by Zero). Somehow dumbass weebs in their basement with a SoundBlaster II and pirated software were able to master their audio better than commercial studios.
Nico nico ni~eed a siggy like the all the cool kids
Really wish we had a rep system so I could farm it and spam rep+
Nov 28, 2019 9:11 PM
Feb 2017
I’m starting to think people are just falling for these baits. The only people that say this are elitists (who you shouldn’t even take seriously anyway), and elitism has been dead for quite a bit. The whole idea of it is a joke.
Nov 28, 2019 9:14 PM

Apr 2016
I don't even like consuming foreign media in a language other than the original one. So English dub is automatically bad for me.

Also most English dub are bad. And some anime don't translate well into English at all.
Nov 28, 2019 11:16 PM
Aug 2018
It's just preference. The reason why I switched to dub was because I mainly missed the action just reading the subtitles but I still do watch subs for none dubbed anime. The term watching was wrongly used in this because neither the less we are still watching the same animation.
Nov 28, 2019 11:41 PM
Aug 2016
Who even says that?
You just need to ignore those kind of people.
Nov 28, 2019 11:45 PM

May 2009
BlakexEkalb said:
I’m starting to think people are just falling for these baits. The only people that say this are elitists (who you shouldn’t even take seriously anyway), and elitism has been dead for quite a bit. The whole idea of it is a joke.
Well, sub elitism is more alive (or at the very least less dead) than elitism regarding tastes in specific series. The latter is used mainly as a parody/strawman more than a serious thing (though the debates over objectivity vs. subjectivity are definitely taken more seriously); while the former actually has people who espouse it seriously...as shown in this past day on the forum.
Nov 28, 2019 11:47 PM
Jul 2018
Subs and dubs are the same shit, you're not actually watching anime unless you watched everything when it first aired on japanese TV, why would someone deny a fact this obvious?
Nov 28, 2019 11:52 PM

Jul 2019
I watch both. There is not really a preference. Mostly I'll watch seasonals subbed since its out first. And I really don't like Fire force and dr. stone dubs. But I enjoy many shows dubbed.
Nov 28, 2019 11:53 PM

May 2009
>:D You're not watching anime unless you're watching old Disney movies with Japanese voice tracks >:D
Nov 28, 2019 11:57 PM

Jan 2018
drstonefan said:
phantom346 said:

Because I like English Dubs or is that too hard for you teeny tiny brain to understand I have not come across that many bad dubs sometimes changes are needed to make it understandable.

"changes are needed to make it understandable" nani?! Could you please recommend me the anime that you find it hard to understand. I might give it a try.

Post #49 read it out of my mind nice nice nice nice
hazecloudNov 29, 2019 12:11 AM
Nov 29, 2019 12:05 AM

Mar 2014
i prefer sub than dub. this way, if there are some mistranslations on the sub i can try to find what is the translation wants to convey about the event to me by listening to the japanese words. you can't do that with dubbed anime because you are dictated to see the events according to the dubbing team's interpretation.
Nov 29, 2019 12:19 AM
Aug 2015
They probably assume you do work or you're not paying attention as much, because it's in English, but what if the viewer just likes watching dubs, because they just enjoy it. I prefer sub overdub, but most old anime had really good dubs which I watched and now most dubs aren't into that quality, still thats no reason to belittle someone that prefers watching the dub version. Look at Castlevenia a perfect sub and dub show. WHO CARES
Nov 29, 2019 12:24 AM
Oct 2019
People don’t seem to understand that there are such things as bad subs and good dubs. Look at Ghost Stories, that anime’s dub is amazing but the sub is extremely mediocre.
Nov 29, 2019 1:10 AM
May 2018
Subs are way better than dubs. There could be an argument if the dubbers actually took their work seriously, but that's clearly not the case given the amount of problems that occur frequently. Let's go through all the issues, shall we?

- Translation mistakes. Yes, that happens. A LOT.
Using the wrong names (sometimes, in Dragon Ball Z, Gohan is called Goku and vice-versa), or even the wrong voice ;
Using several names for the same attack or other stuff (again, that's in DBZ ; it also happens in Saint Seiya), sometimes they translate the japanese name and sometimes they don't (the Zampakutos from Bleach ; or, again, the attacks in Dragon Ball).

- Wrong casting. God, so many times a young character sounds awfully old, it's just stupid... On the other hand, a seiyuu always sounds how their character is supposed to sound.

- Bad acting. Seiyuus are just way better when it comes to giving life and emotions to their characters. The "occidental dubbers" are just way less competent, as well as way less serious.

- Some dubs are LITTERAL PARODIES, for God's sake.
City Hunter, in Japanese it's a serious show ; in dubs it's become a comedy. Hokuto no Ken as well: it's full of puns (at least, in French dub).
You may like the parody, but it is still a parody (hence: not the actual show).

- Censorship. That one also happens a lot.
And I'm not just talking about the nude scenes here. Sometimes, important pieces of the stories are cut out because it's considered too violent.
For example, go watch the Shadow Arc from Sonic X.

- Cultural changes. This is the worst, in my opinion.
I learned a lot about the japanese culture thanks to anime. I know a lot of japanese foods because I saw them in anime. I learned how to speak japanese by watching anime. I learned a lot about the overall japanese culture, thanks to anime (especially the importance of hierarchy in that country, with the honorifics and all that ; or the coexistence of very different cultures among the country).
But in dubs, most of that is lost. Japanese food is changed into occidental stuff. The names are changed. There are no honorifics, so you lose the importance of hierarchy.

Hell, sometimes they even change the setting for no f*cking reason.

I remember an anime (Aishite Knight) that was supposed to take place in Japan ; in the French dub, they decided it was actually in France.

Seriously, it's not about liking it or not at this point. There are too many issues, way too often. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they don't happen.
Of course, all dubs won't have all those issues. I'm sure some dubs actually have none of them.
But you can't deny these do happen, whereas subs don't have any of those issues (well, to be fair, subs can be very bad translations as well ; but they're never censored, and they're definitely closer to the original).

Let's end with a final nail in the coffin and make a comparison between subs and dubs:

Seriously, I could go on and on and on and on. Of course, feel free to enjoy dubs, but don't pretend there are no blatant issues with it.
Dante012Nov 29, 2019 1:16 AM
Everything changes. Even the happy and funny things eventually disappear. How can I still enjoy this place then?
- Furukawa Nagisa (Clannad)

You have to make a choice. Either you give up on your soul for the sake of science, or you give up on science to save your soul. In my case, the soul was already in pieces.
- Lloyd Asplund (Code Geass)

Do you understand the meaning behind Nunnaly's smile? She can't see or walk. So there are things in this world that she knows she can't do alone. Her smile... is her only way to show gratitude.
- Lelouch Vi Britannia (Code Geass)

Death is part of Life.
- ... Me.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you find how the anime community finds something to be edgy annoying?

vasipi4946 - 4 hours ago

9 by W3TFT »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Yesterday

133 by Oofmastre9000 »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - 4 hours ago

19 by LostSpectre »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - 12 hours ago

55 by LostSpectre »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » From what side of the neck do you enjoy being bitten by your vampire master?

Catalano - 10 hours ago

13 by ColourWheel »»
46 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.