Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 13, 2019 10:46 PM
Jul 2018
Do you, or have you ever watched anime to escape from reality?

What made you stop, or keep going? Do you think it is alright or wrong?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 13, 2019 11:23 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015

Sure. Just like I play videogames for that reason. Just like I watch movies for that reason. Just like I read fucking books for that same reason and that tends to be the way people try to fucking advertise reading material to you as a kid in the first place. Or hell, the same reason I go to theme parks, same reason I visit zoos, same reason I go on vacation, the same reason I do things that might be fun.

Because work sucks. Responsibility sucks. Social pressures suck. Expectations suck. Things you have to deal with on a day-to-day grind, unless you're a NEET suckling off of your parents income, tend to fucking suck. And so there's a huge sector of just existing that seeks to alleviate these things. Escape from work, escape from responsibility, escape from pressure. There's a huge number of ways to do just that - hence my last sentence in the above paragraph - and most of them would be seen as absolutely laughable to treat as even remotely being an issue, even though the same endgoal of removing yourself from the shittier aspects of surroundings, or "escaping," is the main feature tying all of these things together.

Escapism as a intention for consuming media has a bad name primarily due to mongoloids who want to prattle on about how much they know about writing and how much they understand true art and view the world in such a black and white way that they must reject anything that goes outside of those parameters. It's a fine intention and it's not even anything bad, nor is it something exclusive to anime, nor is it something fucking *recent*, nor is it something that people don't do from all walks of life in a boundless type of ways.

Do you think it is alright or wrong?

I don't think Mazes and Monsters was a movie with a message that was even remotely tied into basic sensibilities, so no, I don't think escapist media is wrong and I don't comprehend how anybody possibly could unless they are mentally deficient. Just in case the textwall above didn't clarify that enough for you.

ManabanNov 13, 2019 11:30 PM

Nov 13, 2019 11:23 PM

Aug 2014
If anything, it's healthier than cigarettes, drugs/meds, and alcohol
Nov 13, 2019 11:25 PM

May 2013
Muv-Luv Alternative taught me escapism is bad. Possibly in the most heartbreaking and sickening way.

10/10 would not read again.

But in all seriousness I have and probably still do use anime for escapism from time to time. In moderation it’s good as a means of stepping back from life. Just don’t let it become too much of a habit; that’s just when escapism gets sad.

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
Nov 13, 2019 11:26 PM

Jan 2009
i watch anime for escapism entirely and ye like the other user said its kinda more healthier than other addiction
Nov 13, 2019 11:34 PM

Oct 2013
Of course I do, that's the whole point isn't it? Reality is extremely boring compared to anime, cartoons, movies,books and games.
And even if your life isn't boring, it's nice to get away from the constant bullshit happening in the real world.
Nov 13, 2019 11:42 PM
Jul 2018
Manaban said:

Sure. Just like I play videogames for that reason. Just like I watch movies for that reason. Just like I read fucking books for that same reason and that tends to be the way people try to fucking advertise reading material to you as a kid in the first place. Or hell, the same reason I go to theme parks, same reason I visit zoos, same reason I go on vacation, the same reason I do things that might be fun.

Because work sucks. Responsibility sucks. Social pressures suck. Expectations suck. Things you have to deal with on a day-to-day grind, unless you're a NEET suckling off of your parents income, tend to fucking suck. And so there's a huge sector of just existing that seeks to alleviate these things. Escape from work, escape from responsibility, escape from pressure. There's a huge number of ways to do just that - hence my last sentence in the above paragraph - and most of them would be seen as absolutely laughable to treat as even remotely being an issue, even though the same endgoal of removing yourself from the shittier aspects of surroundings, or "escaping," is the main feature tying all of these things together.

Escapism as a intention for consuming media has a bad name primarily due to mongoloids who want to prattle on about how much they know about writing and how much they understand true art and view the world in such a black and white way that they must reject anything that goes outside of those parameters. It's a fine intention and it's not even anything bad, nor is it something exclusive to anime, nor is it something fucking *recent*, nor is it something that people don't do from all walks of life in a boundless type of ways.

Do you think it is alright or wrong?

I don't think Mazes and Monsters was a movie with a message that was even remotely tied into basic sensibilities, so no, I don't think escapist media is wrong and I don't comprehend how anybody possibly could unless they are mentally deficient. Just in case the textwall above didn't clarify that enough for you.

Thank you for that in depth answer!

Hanamuke said:

Idk, those Japanese Otaku bother me. They take it too far.
Nov 13, 2019 11:44 PM

Oct 2018
I hate my life, so basically all the time
Nov 13, 2019 11:46 PM

Aug 2019
Everyone watches it for escapism. daily life 9-5 is boring and we need stuff like anime or videogames to make it entertaining
Nov 13, 2019 11:50 PM

Aug 2014
The French word for entertainement means escapism. That's the point of entertainement
Nov 13, 2019 11:50 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Dakago said:

Ew.

Dakago said:

Idk, are they really that different than the average fucking weirdo who gets way too into their fandom? Or some of the westerners you can find on the internet?

Are you 100% sure there's not a large degree of selective perception going on here?

Nov 13, 2019 11:51 PM
Jul 2018
I identify as a yumejoshi, that kind of goes with the label, lmao.
Nov 13, 2019 11:54 PM
Jul 2018
Manaban said:
Dakago said:

Ew.

Dakago said:

Idk, are they really that different than the average fucking weirdo who gets way too into their fandom? Or some of the westerners you can find on the internet?

Are you 100% sure there's not a large degree of selective perception going on here?

I mean the cancer ones who harass idols and burn down studios because of trains. Granted western Otaku are also pretty bad, the ones who become schol shooters or pull an Itachi that is.

btw you sound angry, why?
Nov 14, 2019 12:01 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Dakago said:

I mean the cancer ones who harass idols and burn down studios because of trains. Granted western Otaku are also pretty bad, the ones who become schol shooters or pull an Itachi that is.

I don't think that this problem is necessarily tied into escapist components of media as much as it is that mentally ill people exist. Nor do I think that mental illness leading to violence is something that happens by region. Nor do mentally ill people sit there and have 0 interests or hobbies.

I guess people like having their scapegoats, though. Isolate that somebody was really into a videogame or an anime, and try to treat that as the reason they shot down a school because these people are often very clearly mentally well-off without this accursed escapist media, and that's all there really ever is to why that individual committed that crime. By no means whatsoever is an absolutely disproportionate amount of attention shifted to these kinds of things whenever this type of discussion comes up, to the point where the way people make it into an overshadowing component of the crime *totally* doesn't end up undermining any validity to its connection to the crime itself more often than not. /s

i put a "/s" to denote sarcasm in that last paragraph, by the way, that was me being a bit cheeky, in case i didn't make that clear enough OwO

Dakago said:

btw you sound angry, why?

I'm German. We get that a lot.
ManabanNov 14, 2019 12:10 AM

Nov 14, 2019 12:04 AM

Oct 2017
Yes everyone to some degree engages in entertainment to escape from reality to some degree. That is completely fine. This only is an issue if you disregard important responsibilities for that need to escape. Otherwise in moderation it is a completely healthy way of coping.

As said above since your talking about some more extreme cases that basically are the result of mentally ill people and not just normal fans. That's a different issue entirely unrelated to anime.
Nov 14, 2019 12:14 AM

Feb 2019
I watch anime as a form of escapism. It's better than most of the other forms of escapism.
Nov 14, 2019 12:16 AM

Apr 2013
Sure, sometimes I use anime for escapism. Sometimes just to chill and sometimes because I wanna watch an interesting story.
Nov 14, 2019 12:53 AM

Jul 2016
I guess my relationship with escapism and anime can be summed up in that i like to watch anime that portray real life problems,because i know that it is going to be solved in a different way than it's done in reality.Basically,i know that problems in real life are much more complicated,and most of the time tend to be left unchecked,so i look to anime to fulfill my need for closure in these conflicts.To put it more clearly,i like to watch anime,because in a way it is representative of an easier to deal with version of reality.
Nov 14, 2019 1:49 AM

May 2014
I never used to watch anime specifically for escapism in the past, but nowadays i think i am quite a bit. Not to the detriment of any real life responsibilities, but reality can be tough so it's nice to get away from it for a while and absorb yourself in a completely different world, maybe forgetting some of your problems for a while. So no, i don't think it's wrong to use anime for escapism.

I think video games are easily the best form of escapism though, even more so with this VR stuff, though i don't use that. Maybe i should, i wouldn't mind being stuck in a game. Isekai is like the ultimate form of escapism and it happening in reality would be great. As long as my real body doesn't stay in the real world, it's all good :p
Nov 14, 2019 1:53 AM
Discord Moderator
Divine Protector

Sep 2019
I love my job. But, it can get stressful, and I see some messed up stuff sometimes, and deal with lots of shitty people.

So its nice to forget about that when I'm not working, and experience worlds where people have great friendships and triumph against evil, and have amazing romances etc etc. Anime, vidya games, comics, all do the same escapist thing for me.

Oh and my last "friends with benefits" thing really left me feeling deflated, so my romantic life is pretty much non existent at the moment, so its nice to watch some proper romances in Anime.
Nov 14, 2019 6:29 AM

Jul 2016
Ryzor said:
I love my job. But, it can get stressful, and I see some messed up stuff sometimes, and deal with lots of shitty people.

So its nice to forget about that when I'm not working, and experience worlds where people have great friendships and triumph against evil, and have amazing romances etc etc. Anime, vidya games, comics, all do the same escapist thing for me.

Oh and my last "friends with benefits" thing really left me feeling deflated, so my romantic life is pretty much non existent at the moment, so its nice to watch some proper romances in Anime.

Same,i think i sometimes latch on to romantic relationships in anime really strongly,probably because i just like the feeling of rooting for two people that make each other happy to get together.
Nov 14, 2019 6:34 AM

Aug 2015
Nope, not at all.

I watch/read because I like fiction and how people that have a lot of imagination can bring different perspectives, not as an escape tool. I also don't understand why people try to relate or find similarities withjn the MC (or something) and themselves, seems very pointless and plain dumb to me. So for me is just a hobbie. I like life and what life can bring to me, I don't feel a dreamworld is necessary for me to feel happy.

If anything, that would make life worse, because you will always see it as "Ah, here we go again" every morning.
Nov 14, 2019 6:36 AM

Jan 2019
Dakago said:

I guess anything that isn't directly related to dealing with responsibilities or moving forward with life goals can be called "escapism" and to be honest I can't imagine living a life without it. You might as well live a life without imagination in that case. Everyone gets sick of the grind now and then, and you have to have interests and hobbies to pursue to prevent you going bonkers.

Books, movies, games and anime, all escapism methods but it's like anything in the world, if you overindulge, it's gonna be bad for you. Oranges are healthy, but eating 12 oranges a day isn't.
Nov 14, 2019 7:06 AM

Jul 2016
ThatGayGuyOnMAL said:
When I was an introverted Teen in School I was absolutely obsessed with Fantasyliterature and with Anime. Schooltime was fucking horrible for me and I desperately tried to escape it with any thing I could find. You probably would've thought I was on the brink of mental-illness if you could've see me back then. Now I live a small life with not much money and a shitty Job and I still can't cut me off from Anime and Fantasy-worlds. But I think that's not bad. I hate society like crazy and I don't want to have anything to do with so-called "normal" people.

Being normal is for normies,sometimes you just have to ignore other people's perception of you in order to fully enjoy something you like.
Nov 14, 2019 7:26 AM
Jul 2018
Anime, games, music, internet, any forms of media can be used for escapism if one can utilize. We may want the experience depending the condition of our life or simply a lifestyle that is meaningful for certain people.

Thing like VR dive technology and sophisticated Cardinal system from SAO is a god sent for me if it ever exist. Waking from escapism does make me feel empty, a potential lead to further depression but is really better than nothing. Anime is a short term escapism if it works, i don't get to stay that way for days to weeks unlike games, that could have deeper depths and duration to dwell in.
Nov 14, 2019 7:45 AM

Jul 2019
Well it's nice to forget about real life problems yeah. But I don't know, it just happens. I watch an episode and I don't think about anything else but the anime I'm watching and feel good. Don't know if that counts. :p
Life is a despicable endurance race
Nov 14, 2019 7:51 AM
May 2019
Reality is boring, it's nice to escape it from time to time and lose yourself in the fantasy world^^
Nov 14, 2019 7:57 AM
Jul 2018
I don't watch anime for escapism. Reality isn't too bad for me. I watch it for entertainment only.
Nov 14, 2019 8:01 AM

Sep 2019
Hanamuke said:
Yeah, but unlike the aforementioned things, anime is lame as fuck and far less enjoyable. I think I'll take being unhealthy over being a dork.

I am a god

Even though I'm a man of god

My whole life in the hand of god

So y'all better quit playing with god

Nov 14, 2019 11:30 AM
Jul 2018
I absolutely do. Same with manga, books, and video games. I enjoy living vicariously through the characters.
Nov 14, 2019 11:58 AM

Sep 2014
My mental health is stable enough to not actually require a certain form of escapism so I can live a peaceful life. I watch anime when I feel like to. Nothing more.
Nov 14, 2019 12:06 PM

Jan 2017
I just watch anime to relax and have a good time.
Nov 14, 2019 12:35 PM

Jan 2019
Yes. That's literally my current life lol. Anime, Ecchi, and Hentai. They're more entertaining than real life atm.
Nov 14, 2019 1:03 PM

Feb 2010
Anime is one of many things I use to avoid reality. I try to spend as little time as possible in reality because, frankly, it's a messy, joyless, toxic place that harms my mental health.

That's why entertainment in all forms, from anime, movies and TV to gaming and drugs are eternally popular with humanity. Most of just spend as much time in reality as we need to survive and earn a living. The rest of the time we dream of a better future/reality or indulge in various forms of entertainment to forget the one we currently have. That's the human experience in a nutshell.

It's the people who don't need escapism, who feel right at home in this shithole of a reality, that scare me the most. Escapism is as natural as having to take a piss.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 14, 2019 5:28 PM

Sep 2019
RogueCitizen64 said:
All the time, and no there is nothing wrong with it.

Jokah said:
Yeah, but unlike the aforementioned things, anime is lame as fuck and far less enjoyable. I think I'll take being unhealthy over being a dork.

Why are you so insecure about anime my dude?
I'm just telling it like it is. Will you be living it up at the party or sit at home and watch anime during new years? Pretty obvious answer.

I am a god

Nov 14, 2019 5:41 PM
Jul 2018
I am not sure if I watch anime to escape anymore. I love my life. Unlike a majority of people on the internet...
Nov 20, 2019 11:17 PM

Jan 2018
If it's good, then watch it. Anime is a good time killer because we all use internet so it's that easy to get into. There are many who couldn't be here simply because they are watching their dub instead of english so I feel blessed to be out here catching my sword art online lol.
Nov 21, 2019 12:14 AM

Jul 2013
Yes, I have and it's totally okay. Whenever I feel down I watch my favourite shows that never fail to make me laugh everytime (Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Ouran Highschool Host Club, Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou, Barakamon etc.)

I also like playing video games for the same reason. Some people like hack and slash games because it feels relaxing while I tend to like JRPGs because of the story and character interactions and how they can make me feel like I'm in that word together with them.

As long as you take care of your "real life" responsibilities first, it's totally fine.
Nov 21, 2019 12:26 AM

Jul 2013
Jokah said:
RogueCitizen64 said:
All the time, and no there is nothing wrong with it.

Why are you so insecure about anime my dude?
I'm just telling it like it is. Will you be living it up at the party or sit at home and watch anime during new years? Pretty obvious answer.

Who decided going to a party is better? Not everyone finds it enjoyable to hang around with a bunch of people until midnight. I watch anime or play video games by choice, this is the lifestyle I want. I was not forced into it or anything. If I want to I can completely change my lifestyle. I guess you are one of those people who think people watching anime are losers and can't do shit so they stay at home all day watching anime because they have no other choice. This is just how I want to live my life, this is what makes me happy. Don't go around saying "the answer is obvious" because it is not. P.S: it sounds like you are butthurt because you are never invited to parties
Nov 21, 2019 5:39 AM

Sep 2019
Dakago said:

For the most part i usually watch anime because of the art and that i'm a huge fan of animation since it influences my art. But on the other hand, i use it as another means of escapism. My life hasn't been the best and i'd rather not focus too much on it or i'll end up feeling this huge ass wave of depression. It's better for me to use animation as escapism than anything that could screw up my health or overall well-being.
Nov 21, 2019 5:47 AM

Feb 2010
@Jokah so if you dont watch anime why are you on an anime exclusive board?

Back on topic I only watch anime for enjoyment escapism isnt healthy
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Nov 21, 2019 7:35 PM

Sep 2019
kuroshure said:
Jokah said:

Who decided going to a party is better? Not everyone finds it enjoyable to hang around with a bunch of people until midnight. I watch anime or play video games by choice, this is the lifestyle I want. I was not forced into it or anything. If I want to I can completely change my lifestyle. I guess you are one of those people who think people watching anime are losers and can't do shit so they stay at home all day watching anime because they have no other choice. This is just how I want to live my life, this is what makes me happy. Don't go around saying "the answer is obvious" because it is not. P.S: it sounds like you are butthurt because you are never invited to parties
Me and every other sophisticated person on the planet. Well, if you're only going at it until midnight, you're probably not hanging around very enjoyable people, or do your parents not allow you to stay out past midnight? Haha. I didn't ask, but good for you, I guess. I don't think every single anime watcher is a loser, just most of them, and rightfully so. Again, I didn't ask, but good for you. I'll keep on saying the answer is obvious, because quite frankly, it is. P.S: I'm getting free booze at the next 2 parties I'm attending. I'm probably the least butthurt person in the world right now (◠ω◠)

hazarddex said:
Because I'm needed here.

I am a god

Nov 21, 2019 7:35 PM

Feb 2010
Jokah said:
kuroshure said:
Me and every other sophisticated person on the planet. Well, if you're only going at it until midnight, you're probably not hanging around very enjoyable people, or do your parents not allow you to stay out past midnight? Haha. I didn't ask, but good for you, I guess. I don't think every single anime watcher is a loser, just most of them, and rightfully so. Again, I didn't ask, but good for you. I'll keep on saying the answer is obvious, because quite frankly, it is. P.S: I'm getting free booze at the next 2 parties I'm attending. I'm probably the least butthurt person in the world right now (◠ω◠)

hazarddex said:
Because I'm needed here.

so your just here to troll then mmk cya.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Nov 21, 2019 8:18 PM

Sep 2019
hazarddex said:
Jokah said:

Because I'm needed here.

Calling someone a ''troll'' and running away is already a classless act in itself, but doing it with bad grammar is just pathetic.

I am a god

Nov 21, 2019 10:33 PM

Jul 2013
Jokah said:
kuroshure said:

hazarddex said:
Because I'm needed here.

Yeah right, being sophisticated means going from one party to another, getting drunk and coming home in the morning. Sophisticated my ass. Where I live we call those kind of people a good-for-nothing failure. I don't have any idea why you are so proud of going to parties and getting drunk, but you do you
Nov 21, 2019 10:54 PM

Feb 2010
Jokah said:
hazarddex said:

Calling someone a ''troll'' and running away is already a classless act in itself, but doing it with bad grammar is just pathetic.

Oh no im not saying cya because of that. If your not on this site for anime are are just here to insult people for watching anime. Well then its kinda obvious whats going to happen. So ya good bye.

Nov 22, 2019 11:24 AM

Oct 2017
I'd rather face reality head-on then try to escape. I only watch because I enjoy watching it.
Nov 24, 2019 12:14 AM

Sep 2019
kuroshure said:
Jokah said:

Because I'm needed here.

Yeah right, being sophisticated means going from one party to another, getting drunk and coming home in the morning. Sophisticated my ass. Where I live we call those kind of people a good-for-nothing failure. I don't have any idea why you are so proud of going to parties and getting drunk, but you do you
Well, you're not from a developed country, so I don't really care what you guys call people who know how to enjoy themselves properly. Besides, it's still more productive than staying inside and watching anime all day, but you do you.

hazarddex said:
Jokah said:

Oh no im not saying cya because of that. If your not on this site for anime are are just here to insult people for watching anime. Well then its kinda obvious whats going to happen. So ya good bye.
Except I barely even post in anime related topics. I don't insult people, I just state facts. If you're too weak to handle it, that's on you. Also, your grammar is still bad.

I am a god

Nov 24, 2019 12:17 AM
Mar 2018
For some reason I won't be able to enjoy anime/manga if I wasn't doing well in life. I only watch anime/manga when I'm in a good/normal mood , so my answer to your question at the moment would be no, I can't tell about the future.
Nov 24, 2019 12:24 AM
Mar 2018
Jokah said:
kuroshure said:

Well, you're not from a developed country, so I don't really care what you guys call people who know how to enjoy themselves properly. Besides, it's still more productive than staying inside and watching anime all day, but you do you.

hazarddex said:

Except I barely even post in anime related topics. I don't insult people, I just state facts. If you're too weak to handle it, that's on you. Also, your grammar is still bad.

I'd say that both(watching anime all the day/going to parties and getting drunk) are not even close to being productive, dunno from when did spending time on entertainment meant being productive...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 9 hours ago

26 by _gt_ohn »»
54 seconds ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

31 by Archean-Return »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 5 hours ago

24 by Kurgo »»
6 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

170 by perseii »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - 1 hour ago

5 by Ratris_Decision »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.