Forum Settings
Forums

Character designs that put you off from checking the show?

New
Nov 22, 2019 3:55 PM
Jul 2018
Ok, for me the main one has to be Clannad. The characters all look like bugs and Nagisa and her family look like cockroaches. Am I the only one seeing it?

Another one is Kaiji. Their noses can literally cut through diamonds if they tried.

What are your examples?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 22, 2019 3:59 PM

Jul 2019
Everytime I look at that little guy in Accel World I think about Eric Cartman and I don't even know why. (;_;)
Life is a despicable endurance race
Nov 22, 2019 4:03 PM
Jul 2018
Nubiellee said:
Everytime I look at that little guy in Accel World I think about Eric Cartman and I don't even know why. (;_;)

Lmao, I see it!

It is even more uncanny valley when put next to normal looking characters ... like wtf is this?!
Nov 22, 2019 4:04 PM

Oct 2012
main character with huge breasts, that's a no go
Nov 22, 2019 4:21 PM
Oct 2019
LemurLime said:
Ok, for me the main one has to be Clannad. The characters all look like bugs and Nagisa and her family look like cockroaches. Am I the only one seeing it?

Another one is Kaiji. Their noses can literally cut through diamonds if they tried.

What are your examples?
ppl really can't spot the obvious difference between "characters designs" and "artstyle" you're complaining about "ARTSTYLE" of the anime not the CD
Nov 22, 2019 4:30 PM

Mar 2017
Your Lie in April - for a long time I was put off by the splash images. Eventually I watched it and found the story was excellent, giving it a pretty high rating, but I still think the art style of the characters is off-putting.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Nov 22, 2019 4:46 PM
Jul 2018
Ramsey01maa said:
LemurLime said:

What are your examples?
ppl really can't spot the obvious difference between "characters designs" and "artstyle" you're complaining about "ARTSTYLE" of the anime not the CD
Art style comes through in the character designs. The enormous eyes and huge bangs are part of the design of the character still as they are physical features of the character, so it's fair to criticize it under this thread. If the characters were in a drastically different art style their designs would change since certain features would need to change to suit it(such as having to remove a signature color of the eyes or a prominent nose).
Nov 22, 2019 4:52 PM

Apr 2019
LemurLime said:
Nubiellee said:

Lmao, I see it!

It is even more uncanny valley when put next to normal looking characters ... like wtf is this?!

Same. I am physically unable to watch Accel World because the main character looks like a pig. Literally and metaphorically. And what makes it worse is that Kuroyukihime is actually a good character but the match between her and Pig boy makes my mentally ill.

Nov 22, 2019 5:00 PM

Oct 2013
Nubiellee said:

He's actually almost the exact opposite, being bullied instead of doing the bullying, but still kind of an asshole in his own way.
Nov 22, 2019 5:08 PM

Oct 2013
I'd like to say I'm past that stage in my anime watching career where I judge things by their character designs...but there's one I still can't look past...and that's Ping Pong the Animation. But to be fair, I'm not really that big of a sports fan, so either way I'd probably still avoid it.

weiss said:
main character with huge breasts, that's a no go

Also this, though I have looked past this a few times, and my definition of "huge" might differ from others.
Nov 22, 2019 5:25 PM

Jan 2016
K-On. I'll get past it someday and watch it because it seems like the sort of show I would like, but the artstyle does not feel like they're supposed to be high schoolers and something about how cutesy it is makes my stomach churn a little bit. I don't know why, I've seen plenty of moe shows and not had that problem, but something about how K-On does it just does not work for me.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Nov 22, 2019 11:55 PM
Jul 2018
The answer is Code Geass characters, even my bulimic friend doesn't look like them or probably xxxHolic, characters look like gothic vegetables.

For the people above saying Kaiji above, i think classic Fukumoto's artstyle is awesome. I refuse to quote your post, though.

Someone will probably say Aku no Hana below vvvvv
Nov 23, 2019 12:13 AM

Jan 2018
Definitely Clannad, or anything designed by Itaru Hinoue for that matter. Air, Kanon, etc. The eyes just trigger an uncanny valley thing with me. And this is coming from a dude who loves weird character designs (such as those in Ping Pong). Idk, I can't get over it and never will. In fact, I purposefully spoiled all of Clannad for myself just so people would stop trying to convince me to watch it.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Nov 23, 2019 12:16 AM

Feb 2014
Anything that looks like those bug eyed mutants from Key anime.

Cowtits are instant turn off. You know you've fallen low when even hentai from 90's and early 2000's have more realistic and aesthetic looking breasts than what you find in most anime these days.

The hell are those, camel humps?

Not a fan of those "bishie" character designs from anime like Rose of Versailles either.

Nubiellee said:

Cartman is Kewler than that lame, fat (not big boned) pig could ever dream of being.
Nov 23, 2019 12:21 AM
Jul 2018
FloodBasalt said:
Cowtits are instant turn off. You know you've fallen low when even hentai from 90's and early 2000's have more realistic and aesthetic looking breasts than what you find in most anime these days.

The hell are those, camel humps?

I think sometimes it can be so over the top that it can be considered comedic. For example that Eiken OVA.

Greyleaf said:
Definitely Clannad, or anything designed by Itaru Hinoue for that matter. Air, Kanon, etc. The eyes just trigger an uncanny valley thing with me. And this is coming from a dude who loves weird character designs (such as those in Ping Pong). Idk, I can't get over it and never will. In fact, I purposefully spoiled all of Clannad for myself just so people would stop trying to convince me to watch it.

Alright, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way for early Key stuff.
removed-userNov 23, 2019 12:25 AM
Nov 23, 2019 12:30 AM

Jun 2016
The short guys from katekyo hitman reborn look hideous
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Nov 23, 2019 12:34 AM
Jul 2018
Theo1899 said:
The short guys from katekyo hitman reborn look hideous

Aren't they supposed to be babies?

I agree with you tho. What were they thinking?!
Nov 23, 2019 12:38 AM

May 2018
any super Moe designs, its just like when i highschooler looks like she belongs in kindergarten i cant do it. (most kyoani in general.....) but i also second the clannad shit! their eyes......sloping off to the sides of their heads like a wax museum in a heat wave

✧ο½₯゚: *✧ο½₯゚:* 愛してる *:ο½₯゚✧*:ο½₯゚✧

Nov 23, 2019 12:48 AM

Apr 2016
Character designs that put me off from a checking a show are super gay looking characters.
Nov 23, 2019 12:55 AM

May 2009
Utena

Clannad/Air/Kanon

Accel World (like people pointed out, Pig Boy being drawn in a way that's totally different from Kuroyukihime)

Code Geass (noodle people, even more so than usual for anime)

Himouto Umaru-chan

Kaiji and Akagi

also not a fan of stuff that's just ridiculously moë-cutesy, but I at least put up with it enough to watch a number of shows with characters that look too young to be doing whatever they're doing (e.g. life and death situations)

also not a fan of anything that looks super exaggerated
GlennMagusHarveyNov 23, 2019 1:02 AM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Nov 23, 2019 1:17 AM

Jul 2016
Youjo Senki. I took one look at the character design on the poster and went "nope!" And every screenshot of the show since then has given me that same feeling. Please tell me you guys see it too, that it's not just me. She is fucking hideous.
Nov 23, 2019 1:18 AM

Sep 2018
Never really, as long as i like the story premise i at least check it out.
Nov 23, 2019 1:30 AM
Jul 2018
A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:
Youjo Senki. I took one look at the character design on the poster and went "nope!" And every screenshot of the show since then has given me that same feeling. Please tell me you guys see it too, that it's not just me. She is fucking hideous.

Isn't it technically a 'he'?

But yeah, she looks weird in the face, especially those eyes but otherwise doesn't put me off to be honest with you. Just looks like a weird duck.
Nov 23, 2019 1:34 AM

Sep 2018
Panty and Stocking is one I can never watch. I just hate that sort of artwork and I can't watch western cartoons like that.

As for the woman in the purple top posted, I have 2 friends with natural boobs bigger than that so it's hardly unrealistic although they should sit a bit further down the chest.
Nov 23, 2019 1:43 AM
May 2019
Ping Pong the Animation has a weird character design.
Nov 23, 2019 6:08 AM

Oct 2008
Not counting anime like:
Seikaisuru Kado, High Score Girl and Hand Shakers.

Overlord, Ansatsu kyoushitsu, Boku no hero academia get a pass, because their stories are brilliant.

Then:
1.Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
2.Mob Psycho 100
3.Kaze ga Tsuyoku
4.Piano no Mori
5.Happy sugar life
6.Sora yori mo tooi basho and Plastic memories
7.18if
8.Tsuki ga Kirei
9.ACCA
10.Lance N' Masques and Clockwork Planet
11.Orange and Ao Haru Ride
12.Ping pong and Aku no hana
13.Maken-Ki II and Kanokon and Ladies vs Butlers
14.Wizard Barristers and Mezzo DSA

And others.
Nov 23, 2019 6:17 AM

Jan 2019
Made in Abyss . I just cant get past the way the characters look. They look really fkin weird.
Nov 23, 2019 6:17 AM

Oct 2017
None, the character designs are too small a part of a show for me to not watch something because of them. The only time they'll put me off at all is in combination with other factors, for example generic isekai tend to share very similar art and character designs.
Nov 23, 2019 6:21 AM

Apr 2015
Just look at the seasonal chart, and the chances are 90% of them have generic and uninspired art which turns me off almost all of them.

TylaenNov 23, 2019 6:25 AM
Nov 23, 2019 6:38 AM

Jun 2019
Nodame Cantabile- I'm trying to watch the anime but the art turns me off

Acchi Kochi- chibi-esque art style

Bokura wa minna Kawai-sou- For me it seems like the author can't decide to go for 90's vibe or modern style

Clannad/Air- THEIR E Y E S

Tamako Market/ K-on- Plain looking style and their eyes

Pingpong the animation- weird art style but unique in a way
Nov 23, 2019 6:51 AM
Apr 2016
Character designs that do not fit the setting (e.g. slice-of-life in reality, bur everyone has coloured hair; however people having blue-grey hair in futuristic Japan is contestable but permissible). It is a conceptual lose for a piece of art. Some artists have argued that they need to come up with different hair/something else colour because otherwise the characters would look almost the same, especially in Japan when most people have brown/black hair. Well... boohoo. Make your characters remarkable so that audience can easily identify them,or make them realistic so that them not standing out would make sense. But don't draw me rainbow-kids, amateurs.
Daniel_NaumovNov 23, 2019 6:55 AM
Re:formed
Nov 23, 2019 7:17 AM
Jul 2018
Jojo characters. They look so ugly.
Nov 23, 2019 8:03 AM

Jul 2016
What has been on my mind recently is how much Made in abyss characters look like little children because of the artstyle,which feels really wrong when you see all the disturbing stuff that happens to them
SummerynNov 23, 2019 8:25 AM
Nov 23, 2019 8:11 AM

Aug 2016
Dr. Stone, especially female design.
Nov 23, 2019 8:22 AM

May 2019
I said the same thing somewhere else yesterday. I hate Gon's character design and that's the sole reason I still haven't watched Hunter x Hunter. Man, it's so ugly.

Midoriya's design also kept me from checking BNHA for some time but I got used to him quickly and his design doesn't bug me anymore.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Nov 23, 2019 8:36 AM

Feb 2015
Quite a few things do. Gray/brown/dull colour schemes. Over-the-top wacky art style. Hipster stuff (looking very different for the sake of being different). Shoujo.

There's always exceptions, but those are things that tend to put me off.
Nov 23, 2019 8:38 AM

Mar 2016
UselessSakura said:
Dr. Stone, especially female design.

For me the MC's design put me off. Though I did check it out, for about 40 seconds.
Nov 23, 2019 8:52 AM
Apr 2017
Anything Yuasa ever makes, it all looks fugly to me.

Plenty of older anime (galactic heroes whatever the rest of the name is) also look about as appealing as an anus in an eye socket to me. I'll probably get around to watching it at some point but boy will it be a chore.

Oh, the design of xxxholic too. So unbelievably hideous. Love the anime but wow is it just off-putting visually.

And anything one piece, I still remember how turned off I was by looking at it the first time, it certainly hasn't changed ever since.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Nov 23, 2019 1:25 PM
Mar 2018
Of all the things that could put me off of watching an anime, character designs would never be one of them. Good writing can save bad art, but good art cannot save bad writing.
Nov 23, 2019 1:48 PM
Apr 2018
nanimeanswhat said:
I said the same thing somewhere else yesterday. I hate Gon's character design and that's the sole reason I still haven't watched Hunter x Hunter. Man, it's so ugly.
Same, although what I didn't stand specifically was Gon's hairstyle.

I did end up liking HxH though.
Nov 23, 2019 1:58 PM

Dec 2018
Ramsey01maa said:
LemurLime said:

What are your examples?

Uhhh.. naw. You’re trippin lol, character design is literally an aspect of the art style. One in the same.

There is a difference between ANIMATION and ART STYLE, but a complaint about character design is a complaint about the art style.

Art style is, or at least should be, pretty self explanatory. Some examples are character design, (stagnant/still) backgrounds, color choices etc.

Animation is the movement. Are the movements jagged or smooth? Do things blur or deform when they move or do they keep shape? Etc.
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Nov 23, 2019 2:01 PM

Jul 2019
Aku no hana, Clannad, Ping Pong the animation, Madoka Magica.
Nov 23, 2019 2:11 PM
May 2014
None. I don't see the point with judging the character designs and decide not to watch it. I'll watch anything as long as it seems interesting. I know of many, however, that has said Ping Pong or Mononoke are off-putting, but I just think they are unique with their own style.
Nov 23, 2019 2:25 PM
Jul 2018
Sorry OP, but Saber Marionette J is the first thing to come to mind. I'm someone who loves that ultra divisive mid 90s art style but Lime and Cherry's faces look like they're melting. Same with Cyber Team in Akihabara by the same artist.

Also The Wallflower. It seems like something I'd like since it seems similar to Ouran and Princess Jellyfish and Nabeshin directed it, but the full lips on the guys just creep me out.
removed-userNov 23, 2019 2:28 PM
Nov 23, 2019 2:58 PM

Sep 2019
LemurLime said:

What are your examples?

Mine is actually Case Closed (aka Detective Conan). I mean i'm sure it's a pretty cool show and all, but the art style looks a bit outdated to me.
Nov 23, 2019 3:13 PM

Oct 2019
Kemono Friends. The eyes really deter me.
Digibutter64Dec 4, 2019 11:00 PM
Nov 23, 2019 3:32 PM

Nov 2008
Aku No Hana and Ping Pong.

My God, they're all so ugly as f*ck

I also hate everything Peter Chung designs. Just ew.

LemurLime said:
Am I the only one seeing it?

Yes. If real cockroaches looked that sweet and moe, nobody would kill them. :/

Nov 23, 2019 3:46 PM
Jul 2018
HeruruMeruru said:
Sorry OP, but Saber Marionette J is the first thing to come to mind. I'm someone who loves that ultra divisive mid 90s art style but Lime and Cherry's faces look like they're melting. Same with Cyber Team in Akihabara by the same artist.

I agree for the second season (J to X) and above, but first season character design is OK for a 90s cel drawn TV series
Nov 23, 2019 4:29 PM
Jul 2018
edelgord said:
The answer is Code Geass characters, even my bulimic friend doesn't look like them or probably xxxHolic, characters look like gothic vegetables.

For the people above saying Kaiji above, i think classic Fukumoto's artstyle is awesome. I refuse to quote your post, though.

Someone will probably say Aku no Hana below vvvvv

Completely agree with Code Geass. I cannot and will not, I don't care how good people say it is.
Second agree, I really enjoyed Kaiji and Akagi.

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 5 hours ago

31 by Wolfyrinn »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

92 by Skuletor »»
12 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

59 by SpeedyAlchemist »»
21 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

38 by TheSFHero »»
47 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 9 hours ago

33 by TRC_Randy »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.