Forum Settings
Forums

If anime becomes unfashionable will you stop watching it?

New
Nov 22, 2019 9:48 AM
Jul 2018
Nerd culture is at the rage now, with the rise of gaming, superhero movies, anime, etc. What if it goes out of fashion and becomes stigmatized (as it used to be) again? Will you drop out of it or continue to go on?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 22, 2019 9:59 AM

May 2009
...anime is fashionable? That's news to me.

Anyway, I didn't get into anime because of popularity, and I won't leave because of popularity either.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Nov 22, 2019 10:00 AM
Jul 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Anyway, I didn't get into anime because of popularity, and I won't leave because of popularity either.

It very much is, well the mainstream shows at least like battle shonen, not all of it.
Nov 22, 2019 10:03 AM

Aug 2018
I would say anime has only been non stigmatised for a few years so most fans would remember when it was stigmatised. So because of that your probably going too get a lot of noes
_______I like rocks__
Nov 22, 2019 10:08 AM

Jun 2016
Those who like anime or any other form of entertainment for being fashionable don't actually watch it. They just buy funko pops.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Nov 22, 2019 10:11 AM

Feb 2013
yes; i am a very fashion-conscious tadpole
Nov 22, 2019 10:11 AM

Mar 2019
GlennMagusHarvey said:

this guy read my mind, nothing more to say.
Nov 22, 2019 10:19 AM

Jul 2019
Nerd culture is fashionable, being a nerd isn't.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Nov 22, 2019 10:21 AM

Jan 2017
Anime ain't fashionable at least not where I live. People think I watch Chinese cartoons, I pity them tbh.

Join Emilia's self-proclaimed knights club if you are a fellow Emilia fan

Nov 22, 2019 10:23 AM

Jan 2015
I don't care lol. I don't watch anime for fashion. I'll watch as long as good anime continue to be produced.
Nov 22, 2019 10:27 AM
Apr 2019
NO why would I stop watching it. I'm not some normie watching it bc it happens to be popular- tho anime isnt fashionable. I watch it bc I like it and always will watch it for as long as I enjoy it
Nov 22, 2019 10:29 AM
Jul 2018
Fashions come and go. Passions are for life.
Nov 22, 2019 10:30 AM

Feb 2010
it's a medium so probably not.

I've not stopped watching live action, reading books, playing video games, or just watching western animations.

"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Nov 22, 2019 10:31 AM

Oct 2018
Anime just seems “fashionable” just because we are in a community where we have the same thing in common. I would say outside of the communities (IRL), anime is known, but it isn’t popular. As long there are people like us on MAL, I’m sure most of us will still watch anime.
Nov 22, 2019 10:35 AM

May 2015
Of course. When it becomes unfashionable I build a bonfire of all the manga and LN books I possess, then unformat all the external hard drives I store my favourite anime series and movies on and lastly I publicly recant my nerdy ways. What else could I do?
Nov 22, 2019 10:43 AM
Jan 2019
I can't stop even if I try, I will be a degenerate forever
Nov 22, 2019 10:44 AM

May 2019
Anime was never fashionable tho. If it was, we wouldn't have been judged that hard.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Nov 22, 2019 10:59 AM

Oct 2015
When even a good portion of the fans think it's a shameful thing to watch anime (see post #16 at this very thread for the said mindset), it's hard to think of it as fashionable, to say the least.
Nov 22, 2019 11:06 AM
Aug 2017
Is this a normie question that I'm too weeb to understand.
Nov 22, 2019 11:15 AM

Jul 2016
Why would you watch something only if it´s popular?I don´t get that mindset because i´m not a trendchaser,if I like stuff such as anime it´s because I LIKE it,not because of other people.I feel that those kind of people must not have a lot going for them as an individual,if they only care about what´s the most easily accessible content catered to the masses.
SummerynNov 22, 2019 11:19 AM
Nov 22, 2019 11:20 AM

Mar 2012
I don't even know that I am being fashionable. You know something new everyday.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Nov 22, 2019 11:25 AM

May 2019
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Same here. 100% SAME HERE AAAAHHH

*cough* Well, it's more so that some selected anime are 'fashionable' and not anime in general - that's the feeling I'm having. For example, if I were to tell someone that I'm watching and enjoying Bleach, Naturo or Boku no Hero Academia, I'd get a totally different reaction that telling that I'm watching an enjoying non-popular anime.
Nov 22, 2019 11:35 AM

Jul 2016
SpectralFox said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

*cough* Well, it's more so that some selected anime are 'fashionable' and not anime in general - that's the feeling I'm having. For example, if I were to tell someone that I'm watching and enjoying Bleach, Naturo or Boku no Hero Academia, I'd get a totally different reaction that telling that I'm watching an enjoying non-popular anime.

And even then,when you talk about anime with these kind of people it´s only on a superficial level,because they only watch it ˋcasually´,and obviously because it is popular,so they don´t connect to it the way you do.
Nov 22, 2019 11:39 AM

May 2019
Missaliensan said:
SpectralFox said:

And even then,when you talk about anime with these kind of people it´s only on a superficial level,because they only watch it ˋcasually´,and obviously because it is popular,so they don´t connect to it the way you do.

That's true. But bold of you to assume that those people would ever admit that they're just watching it because it's cool, looool!~
Nov 22, 2019 12:07 PM

Feb 2018
I'll probably continue watching unless I run out of shows

Nov 22, 2019 12:08 PM
Jul 2018
Nubiellee said:

Pretty much.

It's cool to wear "retro" stuff and even some anime accessories.
It's not cool to be an actual otaku (the term itself has very negative roots) and it never will be.

If you're in the MAL forums, chances are you're not normie enough to be cool.
Nov 22, 2019 12:19 PM

May 2009
SpectralFox said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

I would probably get blank stares (or placeholder nodding) if I told people -- even at an anime convention! -- that I'm watching "Z/X Code Reunion" and "Ms. Vampire Who Lives In My Neighborhood". Maybe slightly fewer blank stares if I told people I'd recently watched "Black Rock Shooter".
GlennMagusHarveyNov 22, 2019 12:22 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Nov 22, 2019 12:35 PM
Jul 2018
Absolutely not. I couldn't care less what other people think. So long as great art keeps being made, I'll be around to consume it.
Nov 22, 2019 12:40 PM

Nov 2019
Nah I enjoy it, what other reason do I need.

Honestly though if you're just watching anime in order to "fit in" that's a little sad isn't it? I would recommend finding people with similar hobbies you actually genuinely enjoy. Life is too short to be fake.
Nov 22, 2019 12:49 PM

Feb 2010
I was already a nerd before it allegedly became 'cool' and in general don't care much about society's fashions to the point of not even being aware of what's trendy at any given moment. I think I'll be fine.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 22, 2019 12:58 PM
Jul 2018
Orhunaa said:
When even a good portion of the fans think it's a shameful thing to watch anime (see post #16 at this very thread for the said mindset), it's hard to think of it as fashionable, to say the least.

They only think that way because they watch the "wrong" kind of anime, lmao.
Nov 22, 2019 3:44 PM
Jul 2018
I didn't drop it during the late 2000s anime crash, I sure as hell won't drop it again if that ever happens again.
Nov 22, 2019 3:46 PM

Mar 2015
Wait

It's fashionable?

I still feel like I'd get bullied if I mentioned that I love it.
woah there
Nov 22, 2019 4:39 PM

Oct 2017
Nubiellee said:

Nice distinction. It's very true. It's fashionable to claim to like anime and video games etc., and people can get lots of social cred by having very surface level knowledge and popular opinions. But the actual anime fans and the actual hardcore gamers... basically anyone who is a nerd (as in, actually gets super passionate about their hobbies, literally "nerds out") is still looked down on.

The video game scene has been hit hard by this. Games are less and less about serving hardcore players. They've been dumbed down more and more, and video game journalists complain about games being too hard. The same journalists and the casual fans they cater too also complain about the "gamers" to the point that identifying as a "gamer" is becoming stigmatized and linked with inceldom and such.

Subculture > Mainstream culture, for the same reason that quiet little villages tend to have much less crime and healthier residents than big cities. On the health point, it's not just the pollution, lots of strangers around you all day leads to tons of stress. This is the same reason I pretty much don't use r/anime anymore. I prefer the smaller community on MAL.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Nov 22, 2019 4:41 PM

Aug 2016
Not really, I never liked anything just because it's fashionable.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Nov 22, 2019 5:02 PM

Oct 2017
I get the impression most anime fans don't think anime is "fashionable". I didn't start watching anime because/if it was fashionable and I certainly wouldn't stop watching it if it stopped being fashionable (if it ever was).

Gaming and superhero movies are genuinely very popular right now. I don't really care if I keep up with superhero movies or not and I've never been a huge gamer. Staring or stopping something because of how fashionable it is seems stupid to me, do things for yourself not for your appearance to others.
Nov 22, 2019 5:18 PM

Jun 2019
No, I'll watch what I want to watch. Regardless of if it's fashionable or not.
Nov 22, 2019 5:28 PM

Oct 2013
Yeah...that's not going to happen. Hell, when I first started watching anime it never even crossed mind mind whether or not it was popular. I watched it for my own enjoyment, and nothing more.
Nov 22, 2019 5:33 PM

Jan 2019
Wait, am I missing something? Did this thread just say it was fashionable ? LOOOOOL
Nov 25, 2019 7:17 AM

Jan 2017
I watch anime for the quality, for the graphics, for the sound, for the plot twists. I never thought anime was a fashion, nor is anime popular in my country, heck people judge you and dont understand if they see a figure of your favorite characters.

I'll stop watching anime it stops becoming available for us outside of Japan or who knows, it disappears as a medium due to some natural disaster in Japan.
Nov 25, 2019 7:24 AM

Nov 2017
Look, I watch anime for two reasons: to fuck chicks and to look cool doing it. The moment this shit becomes uncool again, i'll be the first to yeet myself away from here.
Nov 25, 2019 7:27 AM

Apr 2016
I have a really bad habit of not giving two fucks about what society deems is "unfashionable" or not, so yes I will continue to watch anime even if that ever happens.
Nov 25, 2019 7:40 AM

Oct 2019
I don't care about others opinion lol if I like something I'll keep watching/reading anyway :P . I guess the more fashionable is the more I'll avoid it tbh ...
Nov 25, 2019 7:43 AM

Jun 2014
Nope, because I never cared about what was fashionable.

Nov 25, 2019 7:59 AM
Dec 2018
I rarely watch content that's popular where I live so it's not for fashion.
Nov 25, 2019 8:06 AM
Jul 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:

What he said. I don't see a reason why anyone should stop watching anime just because it loses popularity.
Nov 25, 2019 1:41 PM

May 2019
I mean it still isnt fashionable, only the hype battle shounen are acceptable, 99% of anime is still considered weeb trash by the mainstream. Either way i didn't start watching it because it was the cool thing to do and i wont stop when it goes back to being "weeb trash"
Nov 25, 2019 1:42 PM

Sep 2018
Nah. I don't watch it because it's fashionable, I watch it because I like it.
♪ MAL card collector and anime challenge enjoyer
♫ My alignment is Chaotic Stupid™

Anime Challenges
Card Collection
DELIVER HERE!
Nov 25, 2019 2:56 PM
Dec 2017
Nope, I will continue to watch it, I don’t care if it’s fashionable or not.
Nov 25, 2019 3:27 PM

Nov 2008
That's a funny joke, Lime. xD

I was watching it long before it was cool

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What else would be in your Favorites if you had MAL Supporter? (10 additional slots)

IpreferEcchi - 4 hours ago

3 by nishant0 »»
13 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

40 by FanofAction »»
14 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

72 by luckyrune »»
16 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 59 minutes ago

7 by Theo1899 »»
20 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9065 by Baserleak »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.