Forum Settings
Forums

Which anime adaptation was better than its source material?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 18, 2019 2:46 PM
Aug 2015
RealTheAbsurdist said:
How was the Violet Evergarden anime different than the light novel OP?

I've sent you a personnal message with my answer and a comparaison between the anime and the novel.

I wasn't sure if I should post it here because the topic is about which anime adaptation is better than the source material and my answer is only about the Violet Evergarden novel/anime comparison ^^'

But if someone else is interested to know about it I will repost it here.
Nov 18, 2019 2:51 PM
Sep 2019
Kaguya sama, I can’t imagine enjoying the manga they didn’t adapt as much if I couldn’t picture their voices and over the top animated reactions, made me not go further in the story because I want to see what the studio adds to make it even more enjoyable
Nov 18, 2019 2:57 PM
Jan 2012
I will always champion the Hinamatsuri anime adaptation. It unfortunately had to skip things and omit some stuff, but the comedy is what you watch it for, and it delivered. The show didn't need to have animation that good yet it did, and they enhanced the hell out of the character's movements during punchlines. The comedic timing was just spectacular, and the voice cast's performance was great.

I was hesitant at first when I saw the trailer as I thought it should have been more monotone and gray to match the manga's aesthetic, but damn the colors made it really pop without contrasting with how absurd it could be.
Nov 18, 2019 3:19 PM
Jan 2019
Saki. They added an entire arc to the anime that was not in the manga (prefectural individual tournament) and only allude to what happened in the manga.

Kimetsu no Yaiba. The animation and sound add so much to the anime that were not in the manga. The fight scenes in the manga can often be hard to follow, but the anime nailed every one of them.

Most sports manga I have read have better anime adaptations imo. Once again, it is kind of hard to follow what is happening when something that is meant to be fluid is shown in one or 2 pictures.
Nov 18, 2019 3:21 PM
Jul 2018
The amount of manga/LN i have read is considerably less than the anime i have watched, that said i considered the movie of Koe no Katachi to be better in some aspects than the source material. Mainly because in the manga there is a ongoing subplot that drags on for longer than necessery and a bland conclusion, in contrast the movie was more linear and had a more powerfull conclusion that wraps up everything nicely the main character arc.
Oh and "Working!!", i remember dropping the manga because it didnt sold me on the humor and the rommance felt dragging in many points... the anime was much better in both fronts and more easy to digest.
Nov 18, 2019 3:23 PM

Jul 2016
Probably Saiki Kusuo no Psi nan. I actually haven't read many chapters of the manga, but from what I read, I just thought the comedy worked much better in the anime.
Nov 18, 2019 3:34 PM

Nov 2007
- Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai because of the improved art.
- Gintama because of the voice acting, action scenes and overall direction.
- Nichijou, K-ON! and Maid-Dragon because of Kyoto Animation.
- Almost every LN, VN, Novel adapted by Kyoto Animation because of Kyoto Animation. They literally make their characters come to life because their adaptations are purely character driven and the slice of life nature of these stories has become their forte for many years now.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Nov 18, 2019 7:05 PM

Sep 2019
Gundam Thunderbolt-Considering how much the series revolves around jazz,country,blues, and a few other music genres it really should be watched and not read to really appreciate the music component.

Chrono Crusade-The spoilers I've come across about the manga make me prefer the anime. It just feels more fitting to the theme, plus that finale is hard to outdo.

Natsume Yujinchou-The manga art isn't good sad to say. The anime improves it drastically and the youkai are quite beautiful in thier own right
Nov 19, 2019 2:23 AM

Feb 2019
@Chibi-Alice I think that's unfortunately gonna be the case with anything music based, you just can't really connect without sound.

SeidouTZ said:
The amount of manga/LN i have read is considerably less than the anime i have watched, that said i considered the movie of Koe no Katachi to be better in some aspects than the source material. Mainly because in the manga there is a ongoing subplot that drags on for longer than necessery and a bland conclusion, in contrast the movie was more linear and had a more powerfull conclusion that wraps up everything nicely the main character arc.
Oh and "Working!!", i remember dropping the manga because it didnt sold me on the humor and the rommance felt dragging in many points... the anime was much better in both fronts and more easy to digest.

Could not disagree more on Koe No Katachi. The film is great, it's my favourite work of art, ever. Saved my life, literally this year after a bad breakup. Still, the manga fleshes some characters and motivations out a lot more and gives a better resolution than the open ended one in the anime

Ultraman213 said:
Kaguya sama, I can’t imagine enjoying the manga they didn’t adapt as much if I couldn’t picture their voices and over the top animated reactions, made me not go further in the story because I want to see what the studio adds to make it even more enjoyable

dude, trust me when I say the manga is just as good if not better, check it out! It's one of the most popular in Japan for a reason.

Nov 19, 2019 2:29 AM

Oct 2019
Its Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator for me, the manga art is kinda bad but the anime fixed it.
Nov 19, 2019 2:31 AM

Feb 2019
@OneWayChaos The manga is not the source material for toaru so that's probably why you didn't like it, lol.
Nov 19, 2019 2:38 AM

Oct 2019
Superns18 said:
@OneWayChaos The manga is not the source material for toaru so that's probably why you didn't like it, lol.

No, the Accelerator manga is the source material for Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator anime. There's three Toaru series btw.
Nov 19, 2019 2:43 AM

Feb 2019
OneWayChaos said:
Superns18 said:

No, the Accelerator manga is the source material for Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator anime. There's three Toaru series btw.

well I'll be damned, you're right. character count
Nov 19, 2019 3:12 AM
Jul 2018
Azumanga Daioh anime is much funnier than the manga too
Nov 19, 2019 9:56 AM

Oct 2015
Obligatory K-On. Reasons should be self-explanatory.

I might get a bit flack for this but 3-gatsu too. I mean the manga is a really solid character drama with great care put into such a large cast but Shaft's masterful direction and the creative visuals that enhance the emotions is what makes an already great work a masterpiece.
Nov 19, 2019 3:51 PM

Mar 2019
Gintama
Demon Slayer
Fate UBW / Zero.
Re Zero
Nov 19, 2019 4:25 PM
Jul 2018
K-On!
Azumanga Daioh
Nichibros
Nichijou
Elven Light
Mysterious Girlfriend X
Watamote
Nov 19, 2019 5:08 PM

Feb 2019
@Xelecus ngl, the KNY manga is mid af. Like I've been reading since the beginning, but Ufotable really turned it into a living breathing project.
edelgord said:
K-On!
Azumanga Daioh
Nichibros
Nichijou
Elven Light
Mysterious Girlfriend X
Watamote

what's the best one of these? Pick my anime for the week lol
Nov 19, 2019 5:39 PM

Mar 2016
the disappearance of haruhi suzumiya

i tried reading the manga adaptation and the original light novel, but both sucked in comparison to the anime
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Nov 19, 2019 5:51 PM
Jul 2016
Any music related anime adaptation
Nov 19, 2019 11:45 PM

Feb 2019
Sekirei. A lot of work went into bringing Musubi's Musubis to life.
Nov 19, 2019 11:55 PM

Sep 2018
I've only read a little but anime adaptation is better in Nichijou, Midori Days, Nazo no Kanojo X, Watamote and Kimetsu no Yaiba.
Nov 20, 2019 5:04 AM

Aug 2018
I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mention Utena. The manga went on a pretty cliche shoujo route of the time, but the anime adaptation deconstructed a lot of issues in shoujo mangas/animes and also had very interesting (though confusing lol) usages of symbolisms and foreshadowing.
"Of what worth is a king who fails to protect the powerless?" —Saber, Fate/Zero
Nov 20, 2019 7:32 AM
Jul 2018
Superns18 said:
SeidouTZ said:

Could not disagree more on Koe No Katachi. The film is great, it's my favourite work of art, ever. Saved my life, literally this year after a bad breakup. Still, the manga fleshes some characters and motivations out a lot more and gives a better resolution than the open ended one in the anime

As i stated in my previous post "...better in some aspects than the source material", not saying that i perfered the anime over the the manga or vice versa (because those sort of discussions are pointless and redudant since they are two distinct mediums), just that there are certain things that were better handled in the movie wich made for an more impactful and enjoyable experience than the source material.
So elaborating more on those reasons i mentions also on my previous post: the movie focus primarily on Shouya redemption and struggle of creating a connection with others and looking at people in the eyes, as such movie has this crescendo and concludes at the end of his character arc. In contrast the manga created an inner story as a way to forcefully unite all the characters in it together that serves no other purpose outside of that nor does it have an affect on the overarching narrative... and the end instead of having the story culminte and build up to the end of the main characters arc we have a conclusion to that said inner story while the big character moments were overshadowed by this dragging subplot. Is that something detrimental? Not really and there are certain things that the manga does relatively well apart from that, but those are issues i had non the less wich make me more easly wanna revisit the anime in opposite of reading the source material.
Nov 20, 2019 7:41 AM
Sep 2019
Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters. The manga was just weird.
Ya boy is going to Con Alt Delete 2020! See you there!

Nov 20, 2019 7:47 AM
Nov 2018
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo to be honest after reading the novel i was going to cut open my eyes the anime gave every character justice and deleted some of the worst jokes i have ever seen but the thing that i liked the most the ending compared to the novel its way more easy to take
Nov 20, 2019 8:04 AM

Aug 2015
Gintama anime makes the manga pale in comparison.
Anime was a mistake. Heil Manga.
Nov 20, 2019 9:37 AM

Dec 2017
This is gonna be controversial but Kare Kano

Why don’t we become monsters and really mess up this awful world? Just destroy until there’s no more evil, no more sadness, no more anything…
Wouldn’t that be great?

Nov 20, 2019 11:40 AM

Jun 2008
Superns18 said:
@Chibi-Alice I think that's unfortunately gonna be the case with anything music based, you just can't really connect without sound.

Wouldn't say that the music part was the issue. It was more that the manga lacked in the feelings that the show gave me and many other viewers.
Nov 20, 2019 10:06 PM

Mar 2017
This is an interesting question to have.

I believe if I had to judge, I would say the A Certain Scientific Accelerator anime which turned a manga spinoff that didn't have to exist into something more enjoyable to get through.
Nov 20, 2019 11:28 PM

Jun 2017
most, if not all KyoAni adaptions, as it turns out
Nov 20, 2019 11:40 PM

Apr 2013
The most recent example from my experience is Kimetsu no Yaiba. I really liked how they expanded upon certain scenes such as how
Nov 21, 2019 4:42 PM

Apr 2011
Saint Seiya.

RonnyZapata said:
Wandering Son, Ghost in the shell, Dragon Ball, Golden Boy, One Punch Man, Akira, Kino's Journey, Sword Art Online (The novel is worse than a Coelho book) and I don't remember more.

Actually, Akira is a big no-no.
Nov 21, 2019 6:02 PM

Sep 2019
Attack on Titan

Trigun

s-CRY-ed (thankfully the anime made no attempt to match the manga art style)
Nov 21, 2019 7:38 PM

Feb 2019
@Nefelupitou I think it's probably fair to say all of the music adaptations will be better than their source material.

RMikami said:
Attack on Titan

Trigun

s-CRY-ed (thankfully the anime made no attempt to match the manga art style)

SNK is the biggest one for me. The manga is a good story, but truthfully the art isn't exactly stellar, the animation's music and fluidity just takes it to another level.

Chibi-Alice said:
Superns18 said:

Wouldn't say that the music part was the issue. It was more that the manga lacked in the feelings that the show gave me and many other viewers.

It's because of the music. Music manga are never going to be as good as their anime adaptations. It's 100 percent about the music.

GreatAide said:
most, if not all KyoAni adaptions, as it turns out

except Koe No Katachi, the source is better in that case.

rommelcedric said:
Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters. The manga was just weird.

The manga was like one of the best of the 90s fam, but I've never seen Yugioh subbed, so If I check that out someday my opinion may change.

Aure0lin said:

i tried reading the manga adaptation and the original light novel, but both sucked in comparison to the anime

do you just not like LN's or what did you not like about the LN?

Nov 21, 2019 9:27 PM

Mar 2016
Superns18 said:

Aure0lin said:

do you just not like LN's or what did you not like about the LN?

it was alright but there wasn't anything the novel had over what kyoani added through its music, animation, and voice acting. i felt like i was just reading the script for the movie while reading the novel.
this was probably because the movie's 2hr40min runtime pretty much allowed for every little important detail from the book to make it to the anime, rather than the usual occurrence of an adaptation needing to conserve info to fit the limited time it has to offer. plus, the novel itself is noticeably short at 50k words
Aure0linNov 21, 2019 9:42 PM
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Nov 23, 2019 1:44 AM

Feb 2019
@Aure0lin I see, I believe the Novel was kinda like VE and Chuunibyou in that it was submitted as part of a competition with a word limit.
Nov 23, 2019 2:06 AM
Jul 2018
Orhunaa said:

I might get a bit flack for this but 3-gatsu too. I mean the manga is a really solid character drama with great care put into such a large cast but Shaft's masterful direction and the creative visuals that enhance the emotions is what makes an already great work a masterpiece.

Not really an unpopular opinion, also agree with it. Even the mundane scenes in manga are given a new look due to stylish portrayal of those scenes, and the imagery used in the manga are beautifully depicted in the anime. That kind of visual presentation always helps any adaptation.
Nov 23, 2019 2:09 AM

Feb 2019
@Timeless- the studio did an amazing job with that tbh. Absolutely wonderful job of adapting it into a really lively project.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 21

95 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
18 seconds ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

66 by BatoKusanagi »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Best kind of relationship in anime?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

19 by BatoKusanagi »»
5 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 44 minutes ago

1 by MeanMrMusician »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

31 by BatoKusanagi »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.