Forum Settings
Forums

Who do you think were the best villains this year?

New
Nov 19, 2019 5:11 PM

Feb 2019
My picks would have to be:

1. Ai Magase (Babylon)

2. Isabella (Yokosoku Neverland)

3. Rui (KNY)

4. Askeladd (Vinland Saga)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 19, 2019 5:17 PM

Jun 2016
Yeah I'll go with Askeladd too definitely.
Nov 19, 2019 5:19 PM

Jul 2017
Ai is definitely a cool villain only wish we get a proper explanation behind her motives though
Nov 19, 2019 5:28 PM
Jul 2018
#1. Hillary Clinton. Forever and always.
Nov 19, 2019 5:30 PM

Nov 2011
LOL, why would you pick Rui instead of Muzan who makes everyone crap their pants.

Nov 19, 2019 5:36 PM
Mar 2018
Obviously, Benchi-kun.
"Naze koko ni benchi ga?"
Nov 19, 2019 5:39 PM

Nov 2008
LayZee said:
Obviously, Benchi-kun.
"Naze koko ni benchi ga?"

I'm really mad you beat me to it.

But here's a pic.

Diabolical son of a bitch...xD

Nov 19, 2019 5:46 PM
Oct 2018
Ai Magase from Babylon is by FAR the best villain IMO... its a shame it got a 6 week delay but I highly recommend checking out Babylon if you haven't yet. Ai might be one of my favorite villains of all time now
Nov 19, 2019 6:05 PM

Oct 2019
I don't know about the best but the ones that stood out to me was Bitch from Shield Hero and Muzan Kibutsuji from Demon Slayer.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Nov 19, 2019 6:14 PM

Oct 2018
Probably that bitch from Shield Hero

Nov 19, 2019 6:20 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
1. Garou (opm)

2. The Beast Titan (aot)

3. Ai Magase (babylon)

4. Mogami (mob)

5. Askeladd (vinland)
Nov 19, 2019 6:33 PM

Aug 2016
Isabella, Beast Titan and Askeladd. I´d consider them also the best villians this decade.
:v
Nov 19, 2019 7:18 PM

Sep 2011
I legitimately cant think of one this year, nothing really pops. The main villain from yaiba had a pretty damn great first appearance and a couple of decent scenes after that so I guess him simply cause no one else really left an impression.

Zeke from snk seems cool but I need to know more about him to really say hes a good villain
JizzyHitlerNov 19, 2019 7:22 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 19, 2019 7:31 PM

Mar 2012
Looking back again I don't really watch series that have overarching villain this year. But if I have to choose then I will say this guy.

He is just sad creature destined to ruin the moment of his creation.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Nov 19, 2019 7:32 PM
Jul 2018
1) Bench-kun
2) Askeladd
3) Garou
4) Isabella
Nov 19, 2019 7:53 PM

Mar 2019
1) Magase Ai for sure, everyone who watched Babylon will get Johan's (Monster) vibes from this one.

2) Askeladd (Perfect Villan tbh)

3) Garou (Good potential, not executed well)

4) Tsukasa (Good potential, not executed well)
Nov 19, 2019 8:11 PM
Jan 2019
1. Muzan Kibutsuji (Kimetsu no Yaiba)

2. Askeladd (Vinland Saga)

3. Overhaul (My Hero Academia)

4. Beast Titan (Attack on Titan)

5. Isabelle (yakusoku no neverland)
Nov 19, 2019 11:03 PM

Feb 2019
Bench-kun is obviously the best villain. The fucker never leaves joro alone.
Nov 20, 2019 1:29 AM

Oct 2008
I have seen 60 series in 2019, so far. And as far as villains are concerned, I'm disappointed.

Villain whose powers I liked, not his personality:

Kibutsuji Muzan (Kimetsu no yaiba)

Villain that I hated and wanted to die a horrible death:

Toyotomi Hideo (not the main villain but I hated this guy more) (YU-NO)
Nov 20, 2019 4:12 AM

Mar 2015
Rui isn't even the best villain in his own show.

Honestly this year had weak villains. Isabella and Muzan were cool I guess. Garou too but honestly he felt more like a protagonist (and he sure as hell was a better one than Saitama).
Nov 20, 2019 4:18 AM

Jul 2015
Magase is so intriguing character.
It is either her or Isabella.

Nov 20, 2019 4:21 AM

Sep 2013
lot of ppl talking about muzan but didn't get anything special from him
I haven't watched much from the recent year but garou would be a good pick for me, he's really inspiring for a villain
Nov 20, 2019 4:29 AM

Oct 2010
Anotsu Kagehisa
Zeke

These 2 fvckers do their job perfectly in being evil villains, can you really empathize with them? damn, they are so evil and psychos.
Nov 20, 2019 4:39 AM
Jul 2016
Cant believe nobody has mentioned Diavolo yet lol.

Anyway my fav pick would be Muzan
Nov 20, 2019 4:47 AM
May 2018
Garou (OPM)
Isabella (TPN)
Ai Magase (Babylon)
Katakuri (One Piece,if considered)
Askeladd (Vinland Saga)
Beast Titan(AOT)
Mogami/Suzuki (Mob Psycho)
Diavolo (JJBA 5 )

I won't say Muzan because he's in the background the entire season with only his presence in the narrative at the last episode's first half. As for Rui, Let's be honest the animation and Emotional aspect of the fight was on Tanjirou's character not him. He's a stepping stone,power wise and his character arc is similar to other villains from entrance exam & moving house. I 'm not saying he's a "bad" villain but a "good" villain not comparable to some of the best one's of the year,at least for me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 20, 2019 4:54 AM

Aug 2015
I Will say Askeladd, but to be honest there is no good guy on Vinland Saga, so him being bad in Thorfinn's perspective because he killed his dad is kinda weak. For me he is just a great anti hero.

Isabella, Garou and Zeke are also not-so villain. All three of them are more of an anti hero or tragic hero than anything.

So for me there wasn't anything special this year.
Nov 20, 2019 5:05 AM

May 2018
Is Askeladd supposed to be called a villain? I'd say he's antihero

Nov 20, 2019 5:10 AM
May 2018
J.C Staff was the best villain this year. They're the only ones who managed to defeat Saitama xD.
Everything changes. Even the happy and funny things eventually disappear. How can I still enjoy this place then?
- Furukawa Nagisa (Clannad)

You have to make a choice. Either you give up on your soul for the sake of science, or you give up on science to save your soul. In my case, the soul was already in pieces.
- Lloyd Asplund (Code Geass)

Do you understand the meaning behind Nunnaly's smile? She can't see or walk. So there are things in this world that she knows she can't do alone. Her smile... is her only way to show gratitude.
- Lelouch Vi Britannia (Code Geass)

Death is part of Life.
- ... Me.
Nov 20, 2019 5:14 AM

May 2018
Pakumen- said:

Isabella, Garou and Zeke are also not-so villain. All three of them are more of an anti hero or tragic hero than anything.

Check Babylon than. Right now it's on hiatus.
Nov 20, 2019 5:44 AM

Apr 2019
Isabella from Yakusoku no Neverland and Garou from One Punch Man.
“ᴛʜᴇ ꜰᴀᴄᴛ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ ᴘʟᴀᴄᴇ ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴀɴ ʀᴇᴛᴜʀɴ ʜᴏᴍᴇ, ᴡɪʟʟ ʟᴇᴀᴅ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛᴏ ʜᴀᴘᴘɪɴᴇꜱꜱ. ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪꜱ ᴀ ɢᴏᴏᴅ ꜰᴀᴄᴛ.” – ᴋᴀᴡᴏʀᴜ ɴᴀɢɪꜱᴀ
➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵
Nov 20, 2019 5:49 AM

Nov 2017
1. Askechadd
2. Garou
3. Bench-kun
4. Episode delays
Nov 20, 2019 8:56 AM
Feb 2017
I’d say Garou is my favorite so far. Overhaul is looking pretty good though, I love his personality.

Also I don’t see why people are saying Muzan, since he wasn’t given almost any screen time outside of like 2 scenes in the entire season.
Nov 20, 2019 9:06 AM

Nov 2010
Similar as others, Bench-kun, Garou, Askeladd, Isabella, Overhaul too..

I agree that Garou and Isabella aren't necessary villains, but they are antagonist nevertheless.

While I think Mogami was great villain, his screentime didn't feel enough compared to many other villains in the list. Same with Muzan for me, I can't grasp his character just yet.
Nov 20, 2019 9:15 AM

Apr 2019
Superns18 said:

I don't even think he qualifies as "villain". He's just a gray character with his own interests, like anybody else in the game of viking thrones. Implying he is a "villain" merely says you root for somebody else - which I do not. My boi is Askeladd, he is the Seinen part in the series which I would have dropped without him.

Nov 21, 2019 4:50 AM

Dec 2018
Suishou Hakamada from Granbelm!!!

Suishou just went for the loli and kissed the shit out of her!!! She wanted to taste the loli and fucking took it!!,,YEEES!!! Its was a glorious moment best so far in anime 2019

Suishou Is my precious lesbian princess and my favourite villain!!! She dont kill beaten girls she suck their tongues!! Like a perfect lesbian villain should do!!! She is the best!!! She may be the villain but she saved that anime! And turned it into Yuri heaven!! So fucking good!!

Yuri-CrusaderNov 21, 2019 5:00 AM
Nov 21, 2019 5:19 AM

Nov 2019
Magase ai, she is like a female version of Johan from Monster.
Nov 21, 2019 6:59 AM

Jul 2016
Considering I'm skipping this season and there were only 4 shows I finished out of the entire year, I'm guessing that limits my options a bit.

I'm gonna go with Reo, Mabu and the Otters from Sarazanmai, or Touichirou Suzuki from Mob Psycho 100 S2
Nov 21, 2019 7:45 PM

Feb 2019
Supercueca_ said:
Magase ai, she is like a female version of Johan from Monster.

bruh someone legit just said this to me earlier on, did we meet in person lol?

inim said:
Superns18 said:

I don't even think he qualifies as "villain". He's just a gray character with his own interests, like anybody else in the game of viking thrones. Implying he is a "villain" merely says you root for somebody else - which I do not. My boi is Askeladd, he is the Seinen part in the series which I would have dropped without him.

He's a villain. Later on you'll understand why he's a villain, but he's still one.

Nemo_Niemand said:

Up to your own interpretation, villain for me.

Pakumen- said:
I Will say Askeladd, but to be honest there is no good guy on Vinland Saga, so him being bad in Thorfinn's perspective because he killed his dad is kinda weak. For me he is just a great anti hero.

You must have missed the other horrible shit he's done/not read the manga. And being angry at someone for killing someone's father isn't weak lmao.

Mirai said:
Rui isn't even the best villain in his own show.

Honestly this year had weak villains. Isabella and Muzan were cool I guess. Garou too but honestly he felt more like a protagonist (and he sure as hell was a better one than Saitama).

He's the best villain in his show that's been animated, for sure. Muzan has done fuck all in the anime and Akaza and Douma aren't a part of the series yet.

JizzyHitler said:
I legitimately cant think of one this year, nothing really pops. The main villain from yaiba had a pretty damn great first appearance and a couple of decent scenes after that so I guess him simply cause no one else really left an impression.

Zeke from snk seems cool but I need to know more about him to really say hes a good villain

Watch Babylon, something will pop.

R1NG0 said:
"anime" fans on twitter or the internet in general trying to censor anime and big tiddy anime girls.

They are the one true villains, ITS CALLED HENTAI AND ITS ART

Shit, how could I forget the biggest villain of them all, Anitwt.

Kaiser-chan said:
LOL, why would you pick Rui instead of Muzan who makes everyone crap their pants.

Because we're basing on the anime, and Muzan has done fuck all in the anime. Even in the Manga it's Douma for me.

bakarlolite said:
Ai Magase from Babylon is by FAR the best villain IMO... its a shame it got a 6 week delay but I highly recommend checking out Babylon if you haven't yet. Ai might be one of my favorite villains of all time now

way too few Ai recommendations. The 6 week delay is going to kill any momentum the series has which blows my mind.

Nov 21, 2019 7:50 PM

Nov 2011
Superns18 said:

Kaiser-chan said:

Because we're basing on the anime, and Muzan has done fuck all in the anime. Even in the Manga it's Douma for me.

He killed the main character family, countless of people because he's old as fuck and he crushed Lower Moon Demons that are stronger than Rui like trash. That's a lot more than Rui who got one shot by Giyu.

Nov 21, 2019 7:52 PM

May 2018
Kibutsuji Muzan from Kimetsu no Yaiba.
Nov 21, 2019 8:02 PM

Apr 2019
Superns18 said:
inim said:
He's a villain. Later on you'll understand why he's a villain, but he's still one.
Nemo_Niemand said:

Up to your own interpretation, villain for me.

I don't really like the term villain at all, and Askeladd and the Vinland story and cast as a whole are remote enough from simple black and white scenario to enjoy me. I stay away from stories which do little more than setting up an ultimate evil guy to destroy in the hero's journey who is bad because he can (which means practically all shounen). I'm more from the school of thought which uses JRR Martin's definition
We all have good in us and we all have evil in us, and we may do a wonderful good act on Tuesday and a horrible, selfish, bad act on Wednesday, and to me, that’s the great human drama of fiction. I believe in gray characters, as I’ve said before. We all have good and evil in us and there are very few pure paragons and there are very few orcs. A villain is a hero of the other side, as someone said once, and I think there’s a great deal of truth to that, and that’s the interesting thing.
Simple thought experiment, figure you were a German neo-nazi. Who would be your hero in Inglourious Basterds? Whatever a future Askeladd does, as long as it is consistent with his inner drivers and goals, he is not villain to me. Just a gray character acting to further his own interests.

Nov 21, 2019 8:05 PM
Jul 2018
The best 2019 villain for me has to go to Isabella. Well in terms of personality and characterization.

I would go for Muzan, but he was barely in the anime. The other demons (that appeared in the anime) aren't really that much of a big deal. Yes, even Rui.

And she may not be the real villain, but she is definitely the biggest villain to our likings - Princess Bitch.

Also can someone explain what's up with Bench-kun? Not a seasonal watcher btw.

Dante012 said:
J.C Staff was the best villain this year. They're the only ones who managed to defeat Saitama xD.

JC Staff is a great choice, but we all know that Studio Deen was the better villain. I mean, they gave up Konosuba to them, just to ruin Seven Deadly Sins. Now that's what I call a pure villainous act.
Nov 21, 2019 8:12 PM

Feb 2019
@inim well that's you chief. That was my take on the situation.
Kaiser-chan said:
Superns18 said:

He killed the main character family, countless of people because he's old as fuck and he crushed Lower Moon Demons that are stronger than Rui like trash. That's a lot more than Rui who got one shot by Giyu.

Simply killing a lot of people doesn't equate to being a great villain. In my book. If that's your simplistic interpretation, cool.

Nov 21, 2019 8:17 PM

Apr 2019
Superns18 said:
Of course. But let's put it this way. I perceive Thorfinn as an annoying brat with a thick plot armour and hilariously unrealistic powers, who I wish was killed soon so Askeladd gets more screen time. I'm serious when I say the only thing which keeps me watching is the very fact that Thorfinn is surrounded by gray characters worthy of an adult narration rather than teenager self-insert power fantasies. And Askeladd is the most fleshed out of those.

Nov 21, 2019 8:49 PM

Aug 2015
Superns18 said:

You must have missed the other horrible shit he's done/not read the manga. And being angry at someone for killing someone's father isn't weak lmao.

In a real life context, of course it would be horrible if someone kills a part of your family, but on most anime/manga it is a very weak and simple action for me to consider him a villain.

It is true that I haven't read the manga (I kinda want to) but for me the series feels extremely gray. I haven't seen a single good soul or pure heart on the series (maybe Canute but only for the moment). Vikings are ruthless and so is the world of the series, however, if doing horrible things makes him a villain, then even Thorfinn is one. For me there is no good or bad on Vinland, but there are people who believe in their own concepts, and Thorfinn specially is completely out of the morals his father attempted to teach him just for a vengeance he knows it will not lead him anywhere.
Yeah, Askeladd kills, but so does Thorfinn. So for me an anti hero would be a better term, since he is the opposite force (or the force against) the "Hero", that will be Thorfinn.
Nov 21, 2019 8:55 PM
Sep 2015
Pakumen- said:

I agree Askeladd's character is an antihero, not a villain.

I think Magase Ai, if you have watched Monster you get the same feeling with Babylon and her character.
Nov 21, 2019 9:01 PM

Nov 2011
Superns18 said:
Kaiser-chan said:

Simply killing a lot of people doesn't equate to being a great villain. In my book. If that's your simplistic interpretation, cool.

It's not about how many he kills and more of why. The only thing Rui has over Muzan is that his backstory has been revealed.

Nov 21, 2019 9:14 PM

Apr 2019
Pakumen- said:
Superns18 said:
Yeah, Askeladd kills, but so does Thorfinn. So for me an anti hero would be a better term, since he is the opposite force (or the force against) the "Hero", that will be Thorfinn.
Why everybody so desperately tries to assign labels of good and evil? How about simply calling Askeladd and Thorfinn main characters and leave rooting for either (or none) to the viewer? I mean, who precisely is the "hero" and "anti-hero" in Game of Thrones? There isn't really any, and that is what makes it great. Same holds, to some degree, for Vinland Saga.

Nov 21, 2019 9:35 PM

Aug 2015
inim said:
Why everybody so desperately tries to assign labels of good and evil? How about simply calling Askeladd and Thorfinn main characters and leave rooting for either (or none) to the viewer? I mean, who precisely is the "hero" and "anti-hero" in Game of Thrones? There isn't really any, and that is what makes it great. Same holds, to some degree, for Vinland Saga.

I think we are discussing that because the thread is called "Best villain of the year".

Btw I will put Babylon on my list, since everyone is saying cool thing about it. Thanks people.
Nov 21, 2019 10:04 PM

Apr 2019
Pakumen- said:
inim said:
I think we are discussing that because the thread is called "Best villain of the year".
Btw I will put Babylon on my list, since everyone is saying cool thing about it. Thanks people.
I get that, all I say is that one of the shows (Vinland Saga) listed is beyond that classic shounen trope of a "villain". It's seinen and has gray characters, so trying to assign the label of a villain to any of it's characters is bound to fail.
As for Babylon, I catched up late after getting positive news about the show from friends myself. Certainly the sleeper hit of the season, and my personal 2nd best of the season right after Beastars. And for this one I actually would use the term villain, btw - Ai Magase is frighteningly evil.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

59 by KittenCuddler »»
1 minute ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 11 hours ago

18 by traed »»
8 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

22 by deg »»
13 minutes ago

» Attack on skibidi toilet (attack on Titan story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 20 minutes ago

1 by SnipeStrike »»
14 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

61 by Zenhashi »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.