New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Nov 19, 2019 5:55 AM

Sep 2019
alshu said:
Peeti said:
what are those two nine outta ten shows. 😊

26. Cowboy Bebop
89. Koukaku Kidoutai: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG - I prefer the first season (currently on position 128) but MAL likes this better.
Oh I see, what about manga? Does u have any 9 or 10 outta 10 in top 100 there?
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Nov 19, 2019 6:06 AM

May 2018
Peeti said:

I almost don't read manga. My favourite is on position 359

So:

Three 8/10 for
12. 20th Century Boys
31. Death Note
64. Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

Two 7/10 for
16. Yotsuba to!
18. GTO - wait! I don't like this, even have dropped it. Why 7/10? Maybe I made some mistake? That will be corrected.

Nov 19, 2019 6:17 AM

Oct 2014
The reason why ratings aren't important isn't because we think trolls are ruining all of the scores, it's because the users themselves have shit taste.
Nov 19, 2019 6:31 AM

Sep 2019
alshu said:
Peeti said:

I almost don't read manga. My favourite is on position 359

So:

Three 8/10 for
12. 20th Century Boys
31. Death Note
64. Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

Two 7/10 for
16. Yotsuba to!
18. GTO - wait! I don't like this, even have dropped it. Why 7/10? Maybe I made some mistake? That will be corrected.

Haha, sure correct it. Hoomans make mistakes.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Nov 19, 2019 6:36 AM

Oct 2015
Finally someone who understands the purpose of rankings. It's a frame of reference - not a Holy Sacred List of indisputable facts.

Whats even better is how you, not being an active MAL user, are more civilized and can argue way better than 99% of the community here. People around here cant discuss anything properly most of the time, and are very, very narrow-minded.
Nov 19, 2019 6:38 AM

May 2018
Peeti said:

You can pay me with gold-pressed latinum to not correct it tho.
Nov 19, 2019 6:48 AM

Sep 2019
alshu said:
Peeti said:

alshu said:
Peeti said:

No, you should correct your list. Your friends may see a wrong thingy there.
Nov 19, 2019 6:54 AM

May 2018
Peeti said:
]No, you should correct your list. Your friends may see a wrong thingy there.

I pay them to be my friends (with gold-pressed latinum) thus they wouldn't mind.
Nov 19, 2019 6:56 AM

Sep 2019
alshu said:
Peeti said:
]No, you should correct your list. Your friends may see a wrong thingy there.

I pay them to be my friends (with gold-pressed latinum) thus they wouldn't mind.
Haha, it's funny. You in a happy mood?
Nov 19, 2019 6:59 AM

May 2018
Peeti said:

No.

I have less gold-pressed latinum, thus I am less happy.
Nov 19, 2019 7:03 AM

Sep 2019
alshu said:
Peeti said:

No.

I have less gold-pressed latinum, thus I am less happy.
But I have none. Yeah, it's embarrassing but I will do ma best to collect them 😁.
Nov 19, 2019 7:03 AM

Feb 2013
SaintMerakle said:

It seems you completely misunderstood everything I said

To be honest, I gave up reading what you're even saying. Your scarce knowledge of punctuation, inappropriately long sentences and too much oh-so-in-depth information that doesn't quite matter make it IMPOSSIBLE to understand what you're saying.

Returning to the topic. I agree with the majority who say the score does not matter - it never plays the role when choosing anime for me. Different people have different views, and more often than not I happen to have an opinion that differs from masses.

Or maybe it doesn't differ this much - again, I don't particularly check the scores. I filter and make my choices by genres and if the visuals on the cover are in line with my aesthetics.
Nov 19, 2019 8:23 AM

Apr 2018
Setsuei said:
I've done some thinking from all this back and forth, and decided they only thing matters, to me at least, is the direct comparison between the score I've given an anime and the overall score it has.

If my score matches the score on the anime's page, then that means I agree with the majority of the fans.
If it doesn't match, even of it's only off by one point, then I disagree. I don't really see why it needs to anymore complicated than that.
If something has an 8 and I give it a 9, that implies I likely enjoyed more than most.

I completely agree with your way of thinking
Nov 19, 2019 8:34 AM

Oct 2015
Arguing whether MAL scores matter or not is completely moot. It depends on your subjective evaluation of the community's collective judgement. It matters for some, doesn't for others.
Nov 19, 2019 8:40 AM

Aug 2010
outside of scores and tastes are relative, i think the main problem with MAL scores is that they are comically high.
Even some of the worse shows or even most basic shows will have above 7/10
so if you adjust yourself to that than you can get a solid idea of your likes in relation to other's.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Nov 19, 2019 8:43 AM

May 2014
MAL ratings can be useful if you know how to interpret them properly, which most people don't since they just take them at face value.
Nov 19, 2019 8:51 AM

Nov 2010
I do look a scores a bit when i'm looking new anime to watch. If something is below 7 it's not usually good watch no matter the genres and themes. Not always ofc, but most of the time. In other hand something over 8 is usually good watch regardless of the genres and themes.
Nov 19, 2019 8:54 AM

May 2014
SaintMerakle said:
Ericonator said:
MAL ratings can be useful if you know how to interpret them properly, which most people don't since they just take them at face value.

Mind if I ask for advice on ways to interpret them better Alot of good ideas came from this thread and the more the better Thank you :)
Btw seems we have kind of a polar opposite opinion of shows we share hehe
Some ways include;
What kind of people are generally watching this show, e.g. the target audience?
How old is it? A lot of people won't watch something if its from a specific time period.
How many ratings are there? A show with few ratings can be volatile due to the fact that not not many people rated it, so less sample size.
Sequels tend to be higher rated since mostly people who liked the prequels will be watching it.

There are others too, but these are some of the more important ones in my opinion.
Nov 19, 2019 9:07 AM
Supporter

Nov 2018
MAL ratings are very important to me, and I feel they are for many. I think it's a great recommendation system, but is a flawed process, for a couple of rasons. These are largely unavoidable, for example, theres the issue of score inflation : Many 12 or 13 episode anime are iconically, average. It's common for anime of this style to be average, but to receive ratings well over 7.0. Although in general these anime are average and deserve such a score, they always succeed in having a very resolving ending. So the viewer finishes the show feeling great, and gives the show a rating that is, very great, inflating the rating of a show that's really just average, with a very above-average score. This is seen in how shows in the 5-6.5 range are in the bottom quartile of rated shows, when in reality this should just qualify them as average.
Nov 19, 2019 9:11 AM

Nov 2018
I somewhat agree.
What I agree with: I think that ratings are kinda important and it sometimes determines popularity and people's willingness to watch shows. I say usually because you have factors such as release date, episode count, genre etc. that can dictate viewership. One main example is LotGH, it's 30+ years old since it's release, it's 110 episodes long, it has a 9.0+ rating, but it only has like 60k people watching/completed the show. And since the last few months it has dropped by 0.04 because it has the highest percentage of 1s out of the top 10. 0.04 might not seem that much but it is a big difference especially when in the top 10-20 shows.

What I disagree with: I think that it's up to what people are interested in and what their tastes are. You look at SAO and it's one of the most popular shows despite it being rated in the sevens (I've given it a 6). Ratings can also be boosted because of memes or bot accounts. Pingu in the City is one of the best examples for this; it has 2 majority voting groups, 10s and 1s. I've also seen random shitty shows get a massive ratings boost that have even broke into the top 50

It's best to pick what you might think you would enjoy and give it a shot before you pass judgement and read what everyone else has to say about it. Ratings don't determine your level of enjoyment.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Nov 19, 2019 9:20 AM

Sep 2014
There was a time where I also looked at 8+ scores for recommendations and I still kind of do. But there are quite some popular 8+ shows which I didnt really enjoy that much, so I dont take the rating as given enjoyment anymore.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Nov 19, 2019 9:21 AM

Sep 2012
i sometime wish if MAL will just remove ranking system of animes...

people enjoy different type of anime
they dont have to like what you like or dislike what you dislike

this website(MAL) is made to track your anime list, and have a good connection with people who watch anime..

find friends and discuss..
its not to fight among each other to say this better anime because of rating or this is bad anime because of rating as well..
which also lead to a funny matter of creating fake accounts to increase or decrease anime scores..

i enjoy anime rated below 5
and hated anime rated over 8

basically what i am trying say is that
no one give a shit about the ranking system..

i rate my anime list based on enjoyment,

regards
Nov 19, 2019 9:26 AM
May 2018
Personally I have not seen much anime and I have little knowledge outside the scope of anime that I am watching or have watched already

I think you could have stopped there, buddy.

Wait for a few months/years, keep rating animes. Then, take a look at your list. You'll realize you gave a certain anime a higher (or equal) rating than another whereas you actually preferred the latter.
That's how flawed a rating system is. You can't use a number to define enjoyment, it's as simple as that and it's obvious.

In the end, ratings are just a way for people to pretend they have better tastes than others.
Just enjoy what you enjoy, and let others enjoy what they enjoy. It doesn't mean we can't discuss about it all, just don't try to use the word "objective" when you're clearly not talking about something objective.
Everything changes. Even the happy and funny things eventually disappear. How can I still enjoy this place then?
- Furukawa Nagisa (Clannad)

You have to make a choice. Either you give up on your soul for the sake of science, or you give up on science to save your soul. In my case, the soul was already in pieces.
- Lloyd Asplund (Code Geass)

Do you understand the meaning behind Nunnaly's smile? She can't see or walk. So there are things in this world that she knows she can't do alone. Her smile... is her only way to show gratitude.
- Lelouch Vi Britannia (Code Geass)

Death is part of Life.
- ... Me.
Nov 19, 2019 9:32 AM

Apr 2019
I'm sorry but that is bullshit. The opinion of the majority doesn't decide whether an anime is good or not, your own personal opinion does.

Nov 19, 2019 9:41 AM

Oct 2015
Dante012 said:
Personally I have not seen much anime and I have little knowledge outside the scope of anime that I am watching or have watched already

I think you could have stopped there, buddy.

Wait for a few months/years, keep rating animes. Then, take a look at your list. You'll realize you gave a certain anime a higher (or equal) rating than another whereas you actually preferred the latter.
That's how flawed a rating system is. You can't use a number to define enjoyment, it's as simple as that and it's obvious.

In the end, ratings are just a way for people to pretend they have better tastes than others.
Just enjoy what you enjoy, and let others enjoy what they enjoy. It doesn't mean we can't discuss about it all, just don't try to use the word "objective" when you're clearly not talking about something objective.
first of all, you are talking as if someone needs to consume a lot of the same medium just for their rating system to be "valid". Its only natural, indeed, for someone to adjust their ratings as they watch more and more anime.

Also, I dont look at it that way - that ratings are just a way for people to pretend they have better tastes .. - no, you cant use a number to define enjoyment, but thats exactly why a rating is personal, because for some, that number may only encompass their enjoyment level, but it may also include an huge number of individual elements that, again, matter only to the person giving the score.

I can tell you that i enjoyed my 10/10s more than my 9/10s, and my 9/10s more than my 8/10s, etc. etc. but that indeed changes depending on who you ask, and thats fine.
Nov 19, 2019 9:53 AM

Oct 2015
Ericonator said:
SaintMerakle said:

Mind if I ask for advice on ways to interpret them better Alot of good ideas came from this thread and the more the better Thank you :)
Btw seems we have kind of a polar opposite opinion of shows we share hehe
Some ways include;
What kind of people are generally watching this show, e.g. the target audience?
How old is it? A lot of people won't watch something if its from a specific time period.
How many ratings are there? A show with few ratings can be volatile due to the fact that not not many people rated it, so less sample size.
Sequels tend to be higher rated since mostly people who liked the prequels will be watching it.

There are others too, but these are some of the more important ones in my opinion.
im glad you brought this up. What many people dont understand is that, for example, Kaiba's 8.18 score is very different from, say, Railgun S's 8.10 - because the former is a niche original show with a much more specific target audience, while the latter is the sequel of an already popular action series for a much wider audience, so I'd say, in this case, to take Railgun's 8+ score with a grain of salt - which doesnt mean someone CAN'T think it is an 8/10 show of course.

I do agree that most people just dont know how to look at scores here and interpret them according to their personal tastes
Nov 19, 2019 9:57 AM

Jan 2015
I was like you when I started anime, but after I saw great series with a mal score between 6-7, and garbage ones which are 8.8+ I realised that mal score doesnt matter at all.

You will realise it after a while too.
Nov 19, 2019 10:15 AM

Oct 2015
SaintMerakle said:
Nostalgik said:
Finally someone who understands the purpose of rankings. It's a frame of reference - not a Holy Sacred List of indisputable facts.

Whats even better is how you, not being an active MAL user, are more civilized and can argue way better than 99% of the community here. People around here cant discuss anything properly most of the time, and are very, very narrow-minded.

hehe thanks :)
Mind if I ask how you use MAL ranking - rating system
well, about my personal rating system, you can check that out in my profile, as you wrote in your own profile :)

But if you are asking more specifically about how I interpret scores, well, I'd say I look at an anime's score and then I check how popular an anime is , what its target audience is,and what is most people's general opinion about it.

For example, im watching Aku no Hana, a highly controversial title. It's scored a 7.17 (iirc), which is little above the MAL users' average; people in the forums hate it; its score distribution is very divided as well. Conclusion: its animation and artstyle is generally unnaproachable to most people, and manga readers hate it as an adaptation, but I'm 3 episodes in and I think it's at the very least a decent and interesting series, so its low-7 score is a "show not suited for a wide audience"-type of score.

Niche series like Kaiba, Utena, Shoujo Shuumatsu, etc. are some of my favorites and are all at around an 8.18. Do I think they are "underrated" because I rated them 9 or 10/10? No, because I realize that, for such niche titles, a slightly above 8/10 score is pretty damn good already, since I dont expect most people to LOOOOOVE these type of shows.

On the other hand, extremely popular series like Boku no Hero and Demon Slayer are your typical shounen stories, but executed brilliantly. Do I think they are "overrated" because I dont like them as much as the series I listed above and wouldn't rate them as high as the community? No. Because I know that not only they are series with extreme mass-appeal in regards to their stories and characters, but on top of that they are two of the most well-produced shounen series ever, PERIOD (just like you said in your original post), and that's why their scores are so high, which is understandable.
NostalgikNov 19, 2019 10:18 AM
Nov 19, 2019 10:21 AM

Oct 2015
BestBoiEren said:
I was like you when I started anime, but after I saw great series with a mal score between 6-7, and garbage ones which are 8.8+ I realised that mal score doesnt matter at all.

I dont think he will "realise" anything like you did because you simply dont have the same mindset.

Also OP already watched more anime than you so never mind that xD
Nov 19, 2019 10:34 AM

Sep 2018
Of course the scores matter but what i belief is that score is not equal to quality.

Obscure or Arthouse stuff is nowhere to be find in the top even if they may be good, the top spots indicate popularity more than quality.
Its fine since many people on this site rate very highly and by enjoyment, lets take the battle-shounen action genre for example, since its probably one of the most popular and mass appeal ones. Every big Shounen on this site is ranked pretty decent to very very high, its simple enjoyment with high paced action stuff going on and many people wanna watch that and give it a 10 or other higher scores. If one of those people watch a other very slowly paced show they wont give it the same score since its maybe "boring" for them and since more people don't search for nuanced shows and just want the for example highly action packed shows.
A good comparison would be the whole argument around the MCU movies --- so called "theme-park" stuff probably the best description i have for many shows in the top 100.

It really depends on your taste, if you want some simple well done stuff than the top 100 is perfect for you, ah and this is my general conception of the top list it does not mean every show there is like that.
Its also great for people who are newer to animu.
-Mullerio-Nov 19, 2019 10:38 AM
Nov 19, 2019 11:24 AM

Jul 2016
SaintMerakle said:

You completely missed the mark on what I was talking about MALs recommended does no filter based on user preference IE: theoretically if i drop a series at season 1 MALs recommended should not recommend further seasons even if it deems them worthy since I already said I dislike a potion of it to the point of dropping. The idea for the system is good but the implementation forgot to account that if I already dislike a portion of an anime to the point of dropping I will have a higher chance of disliking further installments of the same show

Hold up, what recommendation system are you talking about? I'm talking about user-recommendations since those are usually the ones most people use. MAL doesn't have a filter for those since they're user-made by people for people. Maybe MAL can implement a computer recom system in the future but for now we have to deal with it. I personally never cared for it myself.
Nov 19, 2019 11:56 AM
Apr 2017
SaintMerakle said:
First the recommendation system on this site is slightly messed up if I say I dislike Attack on Titan season 1 but also love Tokyo ghoul the site still recommends Attack on Titan season 2 which it should not since I already stated I dislike the first season I believe the system should not recommend further season of an anime I already disliked its first season.

This is irrelevant. An argument against the recommendation system is not an argument for the ratings system.

SaintMerakle said:
Secondly, its clear the massive community has consensus on anime quality looking at the stats page where only extreme values that do not follow the trend are 1s.

This is self-defeating. You can't use community consensus to argue against community consensus.

SaintMerakle said:
Lastly, Are you seriously suggesting the top 650 anime AKA rated 8 and above are not generally better in their respective genre than the rest 15k anime on this site using this list: https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php of-course there are a few exceptions but in 99% of the cases I would say that is the rule.

This might be useful if you aren't looking for anything in particular, but it completely falls apart once you develop taste. For example, take a look at https://myanimelist.net/anime/genre/4/Comedy and sort by score. FMA:B is the top-rated comedy anime, not because it's funnier than everything else but because it's a highly rated anime that also happens to have some comedy in it.

Or take a look at https://myanimelist.net/anime/genre/32/Vampire and sort by score. Various parts of the Monogatari series have taken the top spots. Monogatari is amazing and all, but someone looking for a good vampire anime might be disappointed to learn that the series really isn't about vampires that much.

That problem is that the rating system doesn't take into account the reasoning behind people's score. I might hate an anime for the exact same reason someone else loves it.
MeTheMysteryNov 19, 2019 12:00 PM
Nov 19, 2019 12:30 PM

Jan 2015
Nostalgik said:
BestBoiEren said:

I dont think he will "realise" anything like you did because you simply dont have the same mindset.

Also OP already watched more anime than you so never mind that xD

oh... didnt check his profile. well yeah then nevermind LOL
Nov 19, 2019 1:02 PM
Jul 2019
SaintMerakle said:
I havent been an active user at this site at all but a common theme I find in every thread I have read is that MAL rating does not matter or something in the same lines as that. Personally I have not seen much anime and I have little knowledge outside the scope of anime that I am watching or have watched already, but I will say this MAL rating is a huge factor in my search for new content to watch pre my discovery of MAL I watched anime seasonally, by recommendation or continuation of things I have watched when I was younger on TV aka Dragon Ball. Pokemon, One Piece etc.. MAL ratings are pretty much recommendations based on a bigger audience. MAL has over 16k Anime currently and over 1M active users with nearly 100k concurrent users at any single time making it with no doubt an insane community. According to my research there are about 1.5 to 4k troll accounts on this site. That number is low compared to any single anime members but can heavily impact a rating of a solid anime by .2 to 1.5 making it harder to find. Now onto why the ratings matter a lot. First the recommendation system on this site is slightly messed up if I say I dislike Attack on Titan season 1 but also love Tokyo ghoul the site still recommends Attack on Titan season 2 which it should not since I already stated I dislike the first season I believe the system should not recommend further season of an anime I already disliked its first season. Secondly, its clear the massive community has consensus on anime quality looking at the stats page where only extreme values that do not follow the trend are 1s. Lastly, Are you seriously suggesting the top 650 anime AKA rated 8 and above are not generally better in their respective genre than the rest 15k anime on this site using this list: https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php of-course there are a few exceptions but in 99% of the cases I would say that is the rule.

EDIT: There has been some interesting conversation before you clutter the thread with repeated questions I do ask you at least look at my responses to have a better idea for I will not be re answering the same questions over and over again
EDIT2: Not responding to half baked answers that contribute nothing
EDIT3: Not responding to anyone with a private list the point is to see the value of MAL rating and how different users utilize the system I think its only fair I see how you use or not use the system

I wouldn't say you are incorrect. I just believe the higher importance lies in the profit the show makes rather than the ratings the show possesses. There is obviously some overlap, but my anime list does not represent a very large sum of the community. Additionally, there's a middle ground where people pirate as opposed to purchasing that can lead to poor results despite a high rating.
Nov 19, 2019 1:27 PM

Apr 2016
To be honest, I think it’s superficial to judge a show from a rating, independent that it’s MAL’s score or anything else. There are so many shows rated between 6-7 that I prefer to series rated higher. It’s not only me, a lot of people I know are of my same idea. I think everything discussed is subjective but there’s one thing I believe it’s objective: there are a lot more troll and fake account accounts on MAL xD
Nov 19, 2019 1:49 PM

Feb 2010
Okay I'll try once more, as concise as possible, maybe more people will actually read what the argument is this way...

1. We talk about AVERAGE scores (not random individual scores) being a useful factor BEFORE picking up new shows (not after you've already seen them and formed an opinion), to decide which show to give a try. It should be fucking obvious that after the fact the average score has no impact on the enjoyment you experienced while watching the show. I don't understand why people keep arguing as if anyone was actually saying anything of the like. It's just stupid.

2.The argument being made is 'Average scores are useful in a given context', with the context being stuff like personal preferences, target audience and genre not being decisive enough of a factor for you to pick one show over another.

3. But for some reason people keep arguing 'Scores don't matter in a vacuum! They don't define quality! They are just a way for people to pretend to have better taste!' and similar unhinged interpretations of the point that we are trying to make when claiming that average scores are not useless. These 'counter-arguments' completely miss the point in a magnificently stupid fashion.

So stop fighting windmills and patting yourselves on the back for debunking positions that noone is holding in the first place. Instead maybe try to comprehend what is being said and realize that there is nothing disagreeable about the statement 'Scores are useful.'.

I'm not gonna @ anyone, but Jesus Christ some of these replies feel like they actively made me dumber just by reading them...
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 19, 2019 1:58 PM

Oct 2017
People exagerrate about how much they "matter" or not, sure. And yeah, for most people, they are more likely to enjoy a random selection from the top 50 than a random selection of the top 250.

But are they a good indicator in general? Let's see.

I've seen 15 of the top 50 anime. My scores for them go like this:

8, 8, 8, 10, 7, 9, 5, 8, 9, 7, 10, 3, 5, 6, 9.

Average = 7.5 rounded to 2 sf.

Over time, I've populated my PTW list with shows I think I have a much greater chance of enjoying to a greater degree than the shows I would get were I to pick random shows from the top 100.

And I do mean much greater chance.

If one has absolutely no other way of finding shows to watch (mainly new people), then the top 100 list is servicable. But over time, as one gets a better idea of their taste, and spends time interacting with the community, they should be able to pick up recommendations which are better suited to them.

I've argued this for a while, but the top anime list represents the taste of a person who doesn't exist. It is a conglomeration of everybodys taste, which is nobodys taste. Hopefully that makes sense.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Nov 19, 2019 3:12 PM

May 2009
Platypus7 said:
Totally agree with you, MAL scores can be very informative. Most users who deny that usually misunderstand something basic.

Common misunderstandings:

1 - MAL scores don't usually go below a 6 therefore they're meaningless.
2 - I didn't like show X and show Y, they had high MAL scores therefore MAL scores don't mean anything for me.
3 - I don't like genre Z but some entries for this genre have high MAL scores, that means they're not always informative.
4 - Show V has a higher score than show W but show W was clearly better therefore MAL scores are useless.
5 - Everyone rates things differently so the scores don't mean anything.

- There's also the sequel effect, recency bias and old anime being generally lower rated. These are actually relevant points unlike the rest, but aren't that problematic as they can be corrected for.

Quick explanation for why 1-5 are garbage:

1 - So long as there is enough variation it doesn't matter what range the scores cover.
2, 4 and 5 - A high score means there's a higher probability you'll like a show.
3 - You can filter and adjust for your tastes, that doesn't make the scores less informative.

If your taste is radically different from the norm that's when scores tend to be a lot more uninformative. You probably don't have radically different tastes.
I agree they can be informative, but that information is often mixed in with other measures into a one-dimensional measure. One has to control for several other factors -- such as genre, era, and popularity -- to make it useful.

And at that point, it's easier to find other means of finding shows one likes, particularly because one's tastes are likely to differ at least somewhat from the fandom consensus anyway.

YossaRedMage said:
If one has absolutely no other way of finding shows to watch (mainly new people), then the top 100 list is servicable. But over time, as one gets a better idea of their taste, and spends time interacting with the community, they should be able to pick up recommendations which are better suited to them.

I've argued this for a while, but the top anime list represents the taste of a person who doesn't exist. It is a conglomeration of everybodys taste, which is nobodys taste. Hopefully that makes sense.
Agreed entirely.

There's usually better ways of finding shows to watch.

And I haven't yet accounted for the influence of "mood" -- as in, "I'm in the mood for X sort of story".
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Nov 19, 2019 3:45 PM

Oct 2017
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Platypus7 said:
Totally agree with you, MAL scores can be very informative. Most users who deny that usually misunderstand something basic.

Common misunderstandings:

1 - MAL scores don't usually go below a 6 therefore they're meaningless.
2 - I didn't like show X and show Y, they had high MAL scores therefore MAL scores don't mean anything for me.
3 - I don't like genre Z but some entries for this genre have high MAL scores, that means they're not always informative.
4 - Show V has a higher score than show W but show W was clearly better therefore MAL scores are useless.
5 - Everyone rates things differently so the scores don't mean anything.

- There's also the sequel effect, recency bias and old anime being generally lower rated. These are actually relevant points unlike the rest, but aren't that problematic as they can be corrected for.

Quick explanation for why 1-5 are garbage:

1 - So long as there is enough variation it doesn't matter what range the scores cover.
2, 4 and 5 - A high score means there's a higher probability you'll like a show.
3 - You can filter and adjust for your tastes, that doesn't make the scores less informative.

If your taste is radically different from the norm that's when scores tend to be a lot more uninformative. You probably don't have radically different tastes.
I agree they can be informative, but that information is often mixed in with other measures into a one-dimensional measure. One has to control for several other factors -- such as genre, era, and popularity -- to make it useful.

And at that point, it's easier to find other means of finding shows one likes, particularly because one's tastes are likely to differ at least somewhat from the fandom consensus anyway.

I assume you don't evaluate shows like this (seems like it would be pretty useless for you so I'm not surprised). It's basically instantaneous, evaluating the rough meaning of a score takes me as much time as it does to evaluate the artwork.

You only have to control for a couple factors, but most of the time the only one that's really relevant is genre - at least for me. Even controlling for multiple traits is really easy, all you need to know is time of release and the genres to sort things out.

Why wouldn't you just use this method coupled with others? I decide what to watch based on many factors, score is only one of them. My mood, the artwork, potentially the synopsis, recommendations (MAL, friends, youtubers etc)...none of these take any significant amount of time to factor in.

Your tastes are likely to differ from the fan consensus yes, but for most it won't be by a lot. That's why the scores are the general consensus to begin with. Unless you're an outlier (which you seem to be) the score will give a general idea of how likely you are to like a show.

YossaRedMage said:

That's a good way of putting it.
Platypus7Nov 19, 2019 3:49 PM
Nov 19, 2019 5:52 PM

Sep 2017
I admit I'm one of these people who counts a lot on ratings, because it helps me to choose the next anime I'll watch

I expect every show ranked above 8 to be good, and above 8.5 to be excellent
I avoid any show ranked below 7.00, they're often bad shows or have several major flaws that impact the viewer's enjoyment
I'm suspicious yet interested in shows scored between 7.00 and 7.50
And I'm curious about shows between 7.50 and 8.00. They're either "hit or miss" shows depening of one's tastes, or good shows with some meh moments

I adopted this way of thinking since a few months nows, and it never deceived me

If there's two really similar shows but one's scored 7.00 when the other is 8.00, I'll obviously choose the highest rated one

But of course, I only partially use ratings in order to choose an anime to watch. I'll also check the genre, the résumé and a lot of other features
Nov 19, 2019 8:37 PM

May 2019
If I like a show, it is very likely to be decently rated.

If a show is decently rated, it is very unlikely I'll like the show.

Basically at best it works as a heuristic to rule things out. There are some exceptions like Mad Bull 34 where, by MAL standards, it received poor ratings, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. It works as a heuristic though 9 times out of 10.

Pragmatically MAL ratings are of almost no use to me. Past maybe the top 30 or so it stops being a guarantee that I'd at least give the series a positive score. And even if I would give the top 30 a positive score at least, doesn't mean I'd think what I saw was worth my time.

I prefer a scatter shot approach. Do I like the art style? Do I like the animation based on a few clips I browsed? Do I like the studio or manga involved? Do I like the director? Do I like the genre? Is it based on a light novel? How do fans describe it? Do they describe it in terms that are consistent with what I value in a show? Does a reviewer with a taste similar to mine hold the series in high esteem? Is the synopsis promising? Do I know spoilers that are interesting or off putting?

"Does it have a low score on MAL?" is one of the last things I ask. I usually don't pursue the question.
Nov 19, 2019 9:09 PM

Mar 2012
Well, something that I think the OP is overlooking (or not taking into consideration) is that MAL ratings (for the most part) drop over time. I’m speaking from personal experience on this, but back in the early 2010s, when I was rating anime, a lot of my “favorites” (not all-time favorites, just favorites that season) would be rated in mid to high 8s, but when I looked at their scores more recently, they had dropped significantly.

A few examples would be...

Hanasaku Iroha - This was a mid 8s in 2012...it’s a 7.99 now
Gosick - I want to say this was a mid 8s in 2011...down to 8.16
Shingeki no Kyojin - This was actually a low 9s in 2013...now it’s an 8.47
Psycho-Pass was a high 8s in 2012...now it’s an 8.42
Madoka Magica - Went from low 9s/high 8s in 2011 to 8.42

The point I’m trying to make is that you can’t put all the stock in the world off ratings because ratings are fleeting. Some have held a pretty consistent score...but there were others that were considered instant classics that ultimately just fade in the rankings because people will go back and change scores after some time has passed and they have time to process. I do that constantly. There are some anime where I know I overrated it and there’s occasionally a handful where I have to move them up because idk wtf I was thinking rating them so low.

In-general though, ratings will go down with time so that’s why you can’t put much stock in them. If you do, you’ll think the only great anime that have come out have done so in the last year or two. Seriously, monitor some newer anime that are rated pretty high now and come back in five years to see where they’re at. The results will probably surprise you.
Nov 19, 2019 9:25 PM

Apr 2015
The MAL ratings has and will always be insignificant for me, because my taste just doesn't correlate with the ones of the community and that's fine.
Nov 19, 2019 9:44 PM

May 2009
Platypus7 said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

I assume you don't evaluate shows like this (seems like it would be pretty useless for you so I'm not surprised). It's basically instantaneous, evaluating the rough meaning of a score takes me as much time as it does to evaluate the artwork.

You only have to control for a couple factors, but most of the time the only one that's really relevant is genre - at least for me. Even controlling for multiple traits is really easy, all you need to know is time of release and the genres to sort things out.

Why wouldn't you just use this method coupled with others? I decide what to watch based on many factors, score is only one of them. My mood, the artwork, potentially the synopsis, recommendations (MAL, friends, youtubers etc)...none of these take any significant amount of time to factor in.

Your tastes are likely to differ from the fan consensus yes, but for most it won't be by a lot. That's why the scores are the general consensus to begin with. Unless you're an outlier (which you seem to be) the score will give a general idea of how likely you are to like a show.
Well the first reason I don't use this method is "I already have a giant enough PTW", but aside from that...I've just found, with what is essentially a blind test (since I'll watch stuff without knowing its MAL userscore), that my chances of liking something aren't really enhanced by its having a good score. Sometimes it matches (e.g. I avoided Haruhi despite all the hype about it, and watched it belatedly...and felt it was actually pretty good stuff). Sometimes it doesn't (but I should probably not blather about MadoMagi again).

High-rated stuff is probably more likely to be acceptable or better, for various reasons, but beyond that I find it's poor at predicting the shows for which I'll say "this is awesome!" or "I love this show". It sometimes works, but it's not more reliable than simply picking stuff to watch based on my own interests without regard to score...and doing it this way also means I discover more stuff I've never heard of before (which also means a fresher watch).

So perhaps I am an outlier, heh.
Nov 19, 2019 11:30 PM

Dec 2014
Personally I disagree yes there are anime in the top 650 that I have scored 8+, but there is also anime in the top 650 that I have disliked and rated lower than a 7, but there is some anime here on MAL that are rated less than a 8 and I have enjoyed them a lot. I think if you only watch anime in the top 650 then your missing tones of hidden gems that I believe should be in the top 650. It is all about personal preference and what I like will differ from you etc. MAL score doenst matter to me I don't stop planning to watch an anime cos it is rated 7 or less, I have actually really enjoyed a lot of anime rated 7 or less some of them I ever scored 8+ so again to explain it is all about personal preference, but dont let a score stop you from giving that anime a chance just, because others don't like it doesn't mean you won't like it either we make our own judgement
Nov 20, 2019 5:36 PM

Apr 2013
Rightttt?!?!? We should just ban every user who doesn't rate something within +/-1 of the community rating. Better yet, we should publicly shame them too.

I use the community rating to get an idea of how different my tastes are from the "general consensus." That's about it.
Nov 20, 2019 5:41 PM

May 2009
I'm surprised people are putting a cut-off for "good show" at 8+.

I'd put it at 7+, personally.

TheHentaiKing said:
I use the community rating to get an idea of how different my tastes are from the "general consensus."
Yeah, this is an interesting thing to do.
Nov 21, 2019 12:31 AM

Nov 2019
Personally i will rating anime that i watch based on my satisfaction level, If the anime can fill my taste so i can enjoy it i will giving a positive rated as how i satisfied.
So simple

Nov 21, 2019 5:45 AM

Nov 2019
SaintMerakle said:
mramdhn said:
Personally i will rating anime that i watch based on my satisfaction level, If the anime can fill my taste so i can enjoy it i will giving a positive rated as how i satisfied.
So simple

Yet thats not what this post is about its about how to use other peoples ratings

Well, MAL rating is not too significant for me, But the ranking for an Anime must be count when you rated it make sure it's the worth rate.
Maybe each people have the reason for themselves
like mine that i post before another people have another reasons or another tastes if they like it, it will be a positive rated and vice versa.
just don't be a trash for someone arts.

Nov 21, 2019 7:57 AM

May 2009
SaintMerakle said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:
I'm surprised people are putting a cut-off for "good show" at 8+.

I'd put it at 7+, personally.

The main reason is quantity if u noticed there are 10 ranked 9+ then about 590 are ranked 8+ whereas 3350 are ranked 7+ as you see it gets larger every time but the 7s form a 5th of all anime of this site
?

There's only ten ratings so as the years go by these counts will only increase.

Why would whether something is "good" on its own depend on how many anime works exist?

Unless you mean "if I'm using scores to know what to watch, then 7+ is too many shows to choose from".
GlennMagusHarveyNov 21, 2019 8:52 AM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

99 by DigiCat »»
2 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

31 by Yaggamy »»
9 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

188 by Adnash »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

28 by Rinenka »»
28 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

50 by EastIndiaCompany »»
42 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.