Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 11, 2019 6:50 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Heh, I love how Melie and her friends go to this new town and enjoying themselves. However, Reina also got triggered by her dark memories again.

I really hope she uses better judgement when facing off against a group of enemies though. If it wasn't for her friends, that would of ended badly for her. She needed that pep talk.
Nov 11, 2019 8:59 AM

Aug 2013
That old guy is lucky. I'm happy for his granddaughter.

Reina went off on her own again. Good thing her friends were there to support her.

Nov 11, 2019 9:13 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Really good episode, seems like this anime take a more dark/sad path instead of comedy.
At least the ojiisan survived, that's nice.
Nov 11, 2019 9:20 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Those damn bandits are at it again except these were soldiers pretending to be bandits. Grandpa is lucky to be alive.
Nov 11, 2019 9:26 AM

Mar 2019
Very good ep, this anime isn't just fun adventures in a non violent world
That grandpa was very honest when he explained how he survived xD
Nov 11, 2019 9:29 AM

Apr 2015
this episode was weak compared to the other ones. there were quite a few times where I had to press the right arrow (skip 5 sec). you really only get 3 things from this episode.

1. Reina really needed that wakeup call from her friends
2. the reveal about the bandits actually being soldiers
3. granddad himself. I dunno how much of it is original and how much of it is in the manga

I'll be honest here, Mile was far more creative than me in dealing with the ambush situation. If I was Mile I was thinking of putting the 3 to sleep and slaughter everyone there. the spike spell was very similar to slip being OP in Smartphone. congrats for being OP and keeping your big secret remain hidden.

edit: ehh, both works I guess. as long as my secret remains hidden. it doesn't matter if they're dead or alive. they're soldiers and they are very much expected to be 50% dead the next day.

that said, this event will definitely trigger a disturbance (can't think of a better word) between the two kingdoms. Mile will be caught up in the middle of it. She has to run away again. with or without her party in tow.
kidlat020Nov 11, 2019 9:34 AM
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Nov 11, 2019 9:45 AM
Jan 2013
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
I really hope she uses better judgement when facing off against a group of enemies though. If it wasn't for her friends, that would of ended badly for her. She needed that pep talk.

While her tactics weren't great, I liked her spirit a lot more than Mile herself. Reina is the one who actually seems to empathize with the villagers and who's treating the bandits for the threat they are. I guess Mile and the others have never had to face bandits as anything other than a minor inconvenience. I mean Mile is so powerful they're like pebbles to her. Reina's the only one genuinely struggling for justice. It's a stupid struggle, and without her friends it would have been futile too. But she's got the right mindset. If you let the snake in your garden live because you love animals, you shouldn't be surprised if it bites you one day.

I guess I just like to see some idealism in my fantasy anime. And in the end plenty of people actually died, but I guess the anime thinks it's okay because this one old fart lived to tell the tale.
Nov 11, 2019 9:54 AM

Mar 2018
That geezer sure is popular. Feels kind of weird that the people were only sad about the old man and o so happy when he returned tbh
But guess that's what usually happens. It was only a small group too so the rest was crying for their lost ones or sth

Reina finally settles down I hope? They shouldn't take any more time for her conflict there imo

Pauline is scary xd Mile had some hilarious expressions today

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Nov 11, 2019 11:24 AM

Jan 2019
Bip bop drops the ball.
The director has fallen asleep.
Nov 11, 2019 11:41 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Lol the granddaughter's not what Mile and the team imagined. Still its nice to see the strong bonds that exist between the master and his granddaughter. Mile sure was quite determined to go on the class trip though. The news about the convoy's fate though sure was tragic. To think that the true culprits was actually the military of the nearby kingdom though. No matter how they try to hide it the bandit identity is way to thin and unable to disguise just how well trained and equipped they are. Mile's way of using nanamachines to disable her opponents sure was fun. In the end its good that not only were the girls able to defeat the bandits disguised soldiers and clear the trade routes but also that the master was able to make it back to see his granddaughter again. As ever a fun ep that combined excellent comedy with some quick but effective action. While Reina's aggressive nature still poses a problem fro the team it seems that even she is starting to realise just how much she and the girls have grown to trust each other as family.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 11, 2019 11:45 AM

Apr 2015
Sorghaghtani said:
Stark700 said:

While her tactics weren't great, I liked her spirit a lot more than Mile herself. Reina is the one who actually seems to empathize with the villagers and who's treating the bandits for the threat they are. I guess Mile and the others have never had to face bandits as anything other than a minor inconvenience. I mean Mile is so powerful they're like pebbles to her. Reina's the only one genuinely struggling for justice. It's a stupid struggle, and without her friends it would have been futile too. But she's got the right mindset. If you let the snake in your garden live because you love animals, you shouldn't be surprised if it bites you one day.

I guess I just like to see some idealism in my fantasy anime. And in the end plenty of people actually died, but I guess the anime thinks it's okay because this one old fart lived to tell the tale.

yeah, no, Reina definitely have the wrong mindset. she's not doing it out of protecting the innocent. she's doing it for revenge. and of course, she's not under any obligation at that point to defend the villagers. Mile is correct in bitchslapping her. don't get me wrong, bandits are bad and they deserve the most painful of deaths. but Reina doesn't have the capacity to do it, Mile does. which is a good thing since Mile isn't out for revenge or changing the world or whatever. but if Reina got Mile's powers? oh boy oh boy. I dunno about you but power corrupts. very much so. Reina will go on a rampage and her sanity will break. she WILL turn into Lucy from Elfen Lied in no time.

and speaking of Elfen Lied, here's hoping Mile will not suffer the same fate as Lucy. remember the dog scene? yeah. that will be a complete disaster.

Nov 11, 2019 11:51 AM

Mar 2013
Maybe the soldier claiming he'd rather die than live in shame is what made Reina realise that it's better not to kill them, but take away what pride they have left and make them suffer for their actions.
Slice of Life Anime about the everyday life of a German Philosopher: Nietzschijou.
Nov 11, 2019 12:13 PM
Feb 2019
Materializing spiky pebbles in the shoes of your enemies... now that is a truly devilish spell.
Nov 11, 2019 12:28 PM

Dec 2015
Oh come on, just roast him.
Nov 11, 2019 12:41 PM
Jan 2013
kidlat020 said:

yeah, no, Reina definitely have the wrong mindset. she's not doing it out of protecting the innocent. she's doing it for revenge. and of course, she's not under any obligation at that point to defend the villagers.

But the whole reason Reina is out to kill bandits is so that innocents like her past self can be protected. It's personal for her. And if anything this episode proves that she's right to be concerned. It's ironic that you would say that power will corrupt Reina when the corrupt folk in the episode were literally the soldiers doing the banditry!

But you're right that it can go south real soon. We don't want to get stuck with an antihero on our hands, like Hajime from Arifureta.

I just wish this anime would actually find it's bearings and decide what it wants to be. If it wants to be a fluff SoL like 'Gochuumon wa usagi desu ka?', that's fine. If it wants to be a battle isekai like 'Mondaiji tachi...' or 'Arifureta' that's also fine. If it wants to be a parody anime like Ixion Saga DT, that is also fine. But it shouldn't try to be all three simultaneously. If my MCs are actively getting threatened for their lives, I want to see blood spill. Otherwise, I just don't know how I could empathize with any of the characters. They'll always get by on their magic plot armour.
Nov 11, 2019 12:43 PM

Feb 2016
weak episode. I never bought on Reina's backstory nor I cared for the old man either. It was obvious he wouldn't die.

And of course, Reina had to go alone because "ut's muh ruvungu, ut's duusn't cuncurn yuu" Cliché.

well at least we can move on from this.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Nov 11, 2019 12:52 PM

Feb 2019
This was a really cute and emotional episode. really enjoyed it. Seeing a parent's/grandparent's love always makes me miss my dad, been gone 7 years last week. Glad Reina is getting some peace finally.
Nov 11, 2019 1:20 PM

Apr 2015
Sorghaghtani said:
kidlat020 said:

yeah, no, Reina definitely have the wrong mindset. she's not doing it out of protecting the innocent. she's doing it for revenge. and of course, she's not under any obligation at that point to defend the villagers.

But the whole reason Reina is out to kill bandits is so that innocents like her past self can be protected. It's personal for her. And if anything this episode proves that she's right to be concerned. It's ironic that you would say that power will corrupt Reina when the corrupt folk in the episode were literally the soldiers doing the banditry!

But you're right that it can go south real soon. We don't want to get stuck with an antihero on our hands, like Hajime from Arifureta.

I just wish this anime would actually find it's bearings and decide what it wants to be. If it wants to be a fluff SoL like 'Gochuumon wa usagi desu ka?', that's fine. If it wants to be a battle isekai like 'Mondaiji tachi...' or 'Arifureta' that's also fine. If it wants to be a parody anime like Ixion Saga DT, that is also fine. But it shouldn't try to be all three simultaneously. If my MCs are actively getting threatened for their lives, I want to see blood spill. Otherwise, I just don't know how I could empathize with any of the characters. They'll always get by on their magic plot armour.

nah, the reason is revenge. if its to protect the innocent then she wouldn't go out of her way to the forest and do solo skirmish. therefore Mile's bitchslap.

and yes I actually want this to go arifureta but without Hajime's darkest moment. and for once I want the side characters move the story along. either her family finds her, an extended family finds her, the kingdom(s) catches her, etc. there have been too many characters/plot points introduced so far and yet all we're seeing is Mile's screentime.

Nov 11, 2019 1:39 PM

Apr 2015
Mile has some mean ways of defeating the enemies... Spiky pebbles? Really? XD

Glad to see Reina learned from her past and didn't kill of the captain of those soldiers/bandits, whatever they claim to be.
Nov 11, 2019 2:05 PM

Dec 2009
Well that was another pretty emotional episode. I honestly never expected this anime to get serious like this

Crate said:
Materializing spiky pebbles in the shoes of your enemies... now that is a truly devilish spell.
CeddyyBearr said:
Shoulda been lego... or maybe that's TOO cruel.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Nov 11, 2019 3:07 PM
Nov 2019
It was so predictable the old guy would be attacked once the cute grand-daugher was introduced. Mile's attack spell on the bandits was effective without giving away she is OP...

Reina could be real trouble if Mile gives her access to enough power..

At least it's world building is better than 7 prodigies...
Nov 11, 2019 3:26 PM

Apr 2015
GenesisAria said:
Well that was another pretty emotional episode. I honestly never expected this anime to get serious like this

Crate said:
CeddyyBearr said:
Shoulda been lego... or maybe that's TOO cruel.

Honestly, if they had done that, it would have made it so much better XD
Nov 11, 2019 3:35 PM

Oct 2015
Glad ji-chan got saved by nature, Anne would've been devastated.

But I liked how Reina got to have some sort awakening from her pent up animosity against bandits, thanks to Mile's slap of friendship.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Nov 11, 2019 6:52 PM
Jun 2010
Sorghaghtani said:

Yea, the whole paraody mood the animator decided to go for in the beginning of the series is what causes it. The actual novel tone is more normalize and know when to swing into comedy mood and when to swing to more of a serious mood, making it a good read. They even took the talk about death more serious. This is why the novel readers are not a fan of the animated adaptations.

-

I honestly thought the animate series will brush this part over, or modify it to be more comedic, since they were going more for the comedy vibe. This is especially the case since they took liberty to make changes to the story.

I also agree kidlat020. Rena is acting very emotionally because she understands the granddaughter's suffering. She's out for revenge. Also for the other party members, don't really care about it, because it doesn't directly affects them. To them, it is just the usual occurrence in their world.

-

Maybe it's just me, but are you guys having trouble finding the link to the anime on the website from the front page? I mostly have to type this anime into the search engine to get to this anime page.
LazyLuongNov 11, 2019 6:58 PM
Nov 11, 2019 11:30 PM

Oct 2008
oh Thank God Jii-chan is alive!!!
5/5.

Nov 12, 2019 2:03 AM

Dec 2014
should have just killed them all *shrug* except for maybe the leader just so they have proof that it was people of another country doing stuff
Nov 12, 2019 2:48 AM

Jul 2015
I came here to laugh, not to cry q_q

That was a very nice Reina arc, I was kinda shocked for this change of tone from pure comedy to a mix of that and pretty heavy drama, but it honestly nailed it hard in the end with the grandpa scene, I'm glad he made the right decision and brought back some smiles after the tragedy that happened to the merchants and their families.

Anyways, holy christ Mile, that spiky peeble attack is worse than death, you went to far there, that hurt to watch.
Nov 12, 2019 3:04 AM

Oct 2017
Pretty touching episode, good for Anne that her granpa survived. Also nice Reina managed to control her anger and didn't kill that soldier.
Nov 12, 2019 3:17 AM

Oct 2007
hmm, so the neighboring empire goes on commerce raiding killing merchants carrying goods for the kingdom. Miles and friends expose the evil plot of the empire and beat the soldiers.

Episode felt fine when I watched it. Certainly some enjoyment is still there. However, it feels like the show lacks replay value. I don't feel like rewatching an episode of this anime, but I've rewatched Azur Lane ep 6 and Rifle is Beautiful ep 5 like three or four times already. I will still continue to watch this, but feels like the weakest among the shows I'm still following this season.
Liddo-kunNov 12, 2019 4:46 PM
Nov 12, 2019 9:27 PM
Oct 2016
Liddo-kun said:
hmm, so the neighboring empire goes on commerce raiding killing merchants carrying goods for the kingdom. Miles and friends expose the evil plot of the empire and beat the soldiers.

Episode felt fine when I watched it. Certainly some enjoyment is still there. However, it feels like the show lacks replay value. I don't feel like rewatching an episode of this anime, but I've rewatched Azur Lane ep 6 and Rifle is Beautiful ep 5 like three or four times already. I will still continue to watch this, but feels like the weakest among the shows I'm still following this season.

It's definitely a subjective thing. What I WILL do however is check out the Light Novels after the anime concludes, so I guess they've done the absolute minimum for the series. As for replayability, it depends. I personally don't find Azur Lane replayable (it's an amusing series, but it isn't particularly groundbreaking for me), for example, as much as more slice-of-life episodes such as GochiUsa or Gabriel Dropout or Senko which I can simply sit and binge if I had a bad day. As much as this series tends to get dark, Mile's power to (almost) forcibly run the series back into slice-of-life-ish does improve its replayability in my eyes.
Nov 12, 2019 9:34 PM
Sep 2019
The Mavis crying part was cute! (Even though her tears are from happiness)
Nov 12, 2019 10:10 PM

Jul 2016
OK episode I guess. It had some good moments but the conclusion of Reina's arc wasn't really that satisfactory and honestly, I'm not being a fan of these transitions between serious and comical sequences. They feel really jarring most of the time. Maybe I'm of the minority here but I would have preferred the series to remain as the "parodic isekai" it tried to be during the first 4 eps.
Nov 13, 2019 3:09 AM

Oct 2010
Would’ve been a huge bummer if gramps died :/ Good thing he made the right choose to survive and stay hidden
Nov 14, 2019 9:40 AM

Jan 2016
This episode was just okay,
I wish they'd actually have killed that dude though like wtf.
It bothers me how much they act like killing is super bad.

also very convenient ending with the old dude coming back alive.
Nov 14, 2019 3:34 PM

Apr 2018
BTDee said:

Convenient? yes. Could that actually happen? yes

Nov 14, 2019 5:34 PM
Oct 2016
Fl0ri4n said:
BTDee said:

Convenient? yes. Could that actually happen? yes

This, it could have easily gone either way and I won't fault a series for bringing out situations that are plausible that happen to end positively. It doesn't negate the sadness of bandits killing people indiscriminately, and it doesn't invalidate Reina's flame of revenge.
Nov 15, 2019 2:33 AM

Oct 2007
Miles not liking to kill any enemy reminds me of the pacifist loli from Egao no Daika..

anyway, show dropped like a rock. Has become boring.
Nov 15, 2019 7:49 AM
Jan 2018
Sorghaghtani said:
kidlat020 said:

They won't kill bandits . They will heal them after battle and sell them off
Nov 15, 2019 7:52 AM
Jan 2018
Liddo-kun said:
Miles not liking to kill any enemy reminds me of the pacifist loli from Egao no Daika..

None of them will kill anyone they will just defeat them and sell them off
Nov 15, 2019 8:12 AM

Apr 2018
Liddo-kun said:

Being a real hero means not killing bad guys even if they deserve it

Nov 15, 2019 8:29 AM

Jun 2019
Love this end happily

Love how Mile attack those bandit. its so unusual. Ahahahaha
Nov 15, 2019 3:38 PM

Oct 2007
Fl0ri4n said:
Liddo-kun said:

when did that become a criteria on being a hero? lmao
Nov 16, 2019 12:32 AM
Jan 2018
Liddo-kun said:
Fl0ri4n said:

Since Superman was created
Nov 16, 2019 9:43 AM

Apr 2015
Liddo-kun said:

MAL score of 6.2? stop quoting a mediocre show. this show is nothing like that garbo (hot take).

but honestly and this is what made me think Mile was a genius: my first thought in that situation was to put the 3 to sleep and slaughter everyone including those that are hiding and watching the scene. which has the unfortunate consequence of that event being so big that all kingdoms will be on high alert. but can you blame me when I didn't had time to think any better? Mile got it right and much more.

Nov 16, 2019 9:47 AM

Apr 2018
Liddo-kun said:
Fl0ri4n said:

Since literally ever lol

Nov 16, 2019 2:33 PM

Oct 2007
kidlat020 said:
Liddo-kun said:

MAL score of 6.2? stop quoting a mediocre show. this show is nothing like that garbo (hot take).

but honestly and this is what made me think Mile was a genius: my first thought in that situation was to put the 3 to sleep and slaughter everyone including those that are hiding and watching the scene. which has the unfortunate consequence of that event being so big that all kingdoms will be on high alert. but can you blame me when I didn't had time to think any better? Mile got it right and much more.

scoretard detected, added to block + ignore list.
Nov 17, 2019 4:20 PM

Jul 2017
Flashback much? Seems like another recurrence to remind Reina of her past ONCE AGAIN.

Looks like those same group of banditssoldiers from Reina's past has come to harass them once more. Certainly she would not forgive just for revenge...
The grandfather surviving was a prediction from afar, 50/50 chance but good for him.

HOWEVER, how much I want to like this portrayal of events, it ended up backfiring between the seriousness and the intensity of the situations. Furthermore, even though her arc is already so butchered, it felt half-baked at best. So to say that this episode ended up being iffy is the most provident way I can say about this episode, a mish-mash of ideas already present before (in the novel) plus the director's own "original" touch (to which I say: Hello??? *Knock knock* HELLO??? Are you sleeping?)

Just kinda wished this had the usual treatment of treating adaptations the way it was meant to be.
Nov 17, 2019 7:39 PM
Oct 2016
KANLen09 said:
Just kinda wished this had the usual treatment of treating adaptations the way it was meant to be.

Be careful what you wish for: the average outcome for LN adaptations is the trash sloppy adaptations seen in so many wasted potential anime out there. Index S3 for example ended up INCREDIBLY trash, adaptation-wise. SAO S1 and S2 was a mess, adaptation-wise. DAL S3 suffered incredibly under the weight of our expectations + an unreasonably poor budget and was rushed imo. Arifureta was the recent one axed and butchered repeatedly (tho I've never personally seen it, it's something echoed to me from those who did watch it). ImoutoSae kind of lampshaded this reality, but sometimes it just happens.

That being said I don't really mind the changes at all: It just goes to show that well, people don't just change overnight. It's a slow and steady step towards being a better person that the bastards who will just end a life because they have to; that you don't have to stoop down to their level of humanity. Plus it does introduce the idea that there's a third political empire just on the horizon and I just don't see that being ignored for the rest of the series.
Nov 18, 2019 1:53 AM

Apr 2015
ronelm2000 said:
KANLen09 said:

Be careful what you wish for: the average outcome for LN adaptations is the trash sloppy adaptations seen in so many wasted potential anime out there. Index S3 for example ended up INCREDIBLY trash, adaptation-wise. SAO S1 and S2 was a mess, adaptation-wise. DAL S3 suffered incredibly under the weight of our expectations + an unreasonably poor budget and was rushed imo. Arifureta was the recent one axed and butchered repeatedly (tho I've never personally seen it, it's something echoed to me from those who did watch it). ImoutoSae kind of lampshaded this reality, but sometimes it just happens.

That being said I don't really mind the changes at all: It just goes to show that well, people don't just change overnight. It's a slow and steady step towards being a better person that the bastards who will just end a life because they have to; that you don't have to stoop down to their level of humanity. Plus it does introduce the idea that there's a third political empire just on the horizon and I just don't see that being ignored for the rest of the series.

the problem with arifureta is that it could easily surpass shield hero. personally I dropped the manga not because it's bad, but because it's an action manga first and foremost and thus I wanted to watch it, not read it. there are youtube vids out there showcasing some of its action clips and getting 1m views at this point. and that's despite the horrible cgi. the demand is definitely there.

but sure, I can accept that adapting should be a case-by-case basis. some should be adapted faithfully while some should have some leeway.

Nov 18, 2019 10:19 AM
Feb 2012
Liddo-kun said:
kidlat020 said:

scoretard detected, added to block + ignore list.

The amusing part of him bringing up the score of the other anime is that this 'good' show isn't far from that score either.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Watashi, Nouryoku wa Heikinchi de tte Itta yo ne! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2019

125 by Vosson12564_cool »»
Mar 4, 4:01 PM

Poll: » Watashi, Nouryoku wa Heikinchi de tte Itta yo ne! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 21, 2019

89 by Old_Fart_61 »»
Jan 11, 7:29 PM

Poll: » Watashi, Nouryoku wa Heikinchi de tte Itta yo ne! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 14, 2019

89 by Old_Fart_61 »»
Jan 11, 7:18 PM

» Where do I pick up the light novel after the anime?

neil - Dec 23, 2019

8 by abyss_will »»
Dec 12, 2023 11:22 AM

» will this ever get a second season?

go1d1eaf - May 22, 2021

17 by NiQ1 »»
Oct 4, 2023 1:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.