Forum Settings
Forums

Which anime adaptation was better than its source material?

New
Nov 17, 2019 5:03 AM

Feb 2019
So I hear the famous phrase "manga was better" at least once a week. But what about the opposite?Which anime adaptation do you think was better than its source material and why? This includes LN and VN adaptations as well. For me, I personally think the SNK anime is much better than the manga. The finished art, animation, score, etc, scenes like Levi's chase across the city in s2 just can't be properly expressed in manga. I also much prefer the Violet Evergarden anime to the LN. I know many people here probably have not been able to read it since it's only able to be purchased from Kyoani store within Japan. I read the books first and really liked it, but I like how the anime completely changed a lot(a rarity).
Marinate1016Nov 17, 2019 5:13 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 17, 2019 5:08 AM

Jul 2016
Elfen Lied
The adaptation is so much better than the manga. When i read it i was close to drop it...
Nov 17, 2019 5:09 AM

Jan 2016
Personally liked the Barakamon anime more than the manga, I feel the Made in Abyss anime for the most part enhanced the world of the manga, and while both are almost untouchable, I think that something about 3-gatsu no lion's anime made it pop just that bit more than the manga.

Oh, and while I don't have any specific examples, I feel that almost every music adaptation has at least one leg up because we can now actually hear the music.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Nov 17, 2019 5:14 AM
Apr 2019
I'm reading SnK and Demon Slayer manga to avoid spoilers and their anime adaptation is so much better than the manga,,,specially Demon Slayer, Ufotable's colorful adaptation can't be compared with the manga.
Nov 17, 2019 5:15 AM

Feb 2019
@kirasykes Can't wait to watch that next week after my degeneracy binge of Oreimo, Eromanga sensei,

@MaskOfIce Definitely agree with you on the music point, Shigatsu wa kimi no use is a good example too.

NakolHira said:
I'm reading SnK and Demon Slayer manga to avoid spoilers and their anime adaptation is so much better than the manga,,,specially Demon Slayer, Ufotable's colorful adaptation can't be compared with the manga.

For sure, man KNY manga is kinda mid to me tbh, like I like the story, but the anime makes it pop a lot more. Ufotable have spoiled us
Nov 17, 2019 5:19 AM

Jan 2013
Boruto because of Sumire's existence during the early parts and the chunin exams. Also these time travel fillers where we got to see young Hinata. So much nostalgia.
Nov 17, 2019 5:32 AM

Sep 2011
Easily Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo, it improved the characterization for many of the cast, especially the MC, and removed some of the overblown drama and jokes that clashed too much with the story
Nov 17, 2019 5:44 AM
Nov 2018
Hunter x Hunter. Togashi is a great artist, but the weekly publication plus his back disease made the art bad sometimes. There is also a lot of explanation that feels better in the anime than the manga.
Eventually, you'll fall into death's embrace anyway, so it's stupid to be bound by useless ideals.

Nov 17, 2019 5:47 AM
Jul 2018
Bungou Stray Dogs. I'm not completely caught with the manga but what I have read I think the anime adaption works better. Even the simple things from changing Junichirou's ability Light Snow from actual snow to the matrix looking text.
Nov 17, 2019 5:50 AM

Jul 2017
Hellsing Ultimate, Parasyte and Yu Yu Hakusho anime were better in my opinion
Nov 17, 2019 5:53 AM
Aug 2015
The Asobi Asobase anime definitely was funnier, the manga just doesn't have the same vibe.

The K-On anime is massively better than the manga, it turned an average slice of life manga (and the mangas art isn't even that good) into a masterpiece.

Kimetsu no Yaiba's only thing that makes it good is its animation so the manga isn't that good.

Nov 17, 2019 6:03 AM

Oct 2010
Nana, because we have music. And the art style is on par with the manga, the pacing is great, the atmosphere is there. Not saying that the manga is bad, but it's hard to feel the music on the pages. So I say, the anime is slightly better
Nov 17, 2019 6:04 AM
May 2018
- K-On, for sure (for the reasons epicyarnboy mentionned ^^).

- Clannad (the anime, NOT that awful Toei movie!) is also way better than the original VN, which is ugly and had bad mic' (well, it's fairly old...), and was terribly long. The anime also did a great job in terms of story. Sure, it lacks one or two things compared to the VN, but the story still holds up and the sacrifice is totally worth it given the new songs and the god-tier animation. The characters are also more lively in the anime (especially Fuuko).

- Kanon (2006) and Fate/Stay Night are also better than their respective VNs for the exact same reasons.
In the case of Fate, there's also the fact that animation is a must for action scenes (which are quite abstract in a VN xD). Also, Kawai Kenji and Kajiura Yuki for the OST, it's definitely better than the techno OST the VN had.
Everything changes. Even the happy and funny things eventually disappear. How can I still enjoy this place then?
- Furukawa Nagisa (Clannad)

You have to make a choice. Either you give up on your soul for the sake of science, or you give up on science to save your soul. In my case, the soul was already in pieces.
- Lloyd Asplund (Code Geass)

Do you understand the meaning behind Nunnaly's smile? She can't see or walk. So there are things in this world that she knows she can't do alone. Her smile... is her only way to show gratitude.
- Lelouch Vi Britannia (Code Geass)

Death is part of Life.
- ... Me.
Nov 17, 2019 6:13 AM

Nov 2011
Definitely Kimetsu no Yaiba. The manga ain't bad but Ufotable is Ufotable.

Nov 17, 2019 6:14 AM

Jul 2019
Attack on Titan, Kimetsu no Yaiba and for me I would say JoJo. Still jojo manga is amazing but I just like the anime more.
Nov 17, 2019 6:16 AM
Aug 2017
vegeta8639 said:
Boruto because of Sumire's existence during the early parts and the chunin exams. Also these time travel fillers where we got to see young Hinata. So much nostalgia.

I haven't seen an opinion so wrong in a long time.
Nov 17, 2019 7:25 AM

Nov 2018
From what I read of K-On!... K-On!
Imagine reading a music manga but you can't listen to any of the music
Nov 17, 2019 7:35 AM

Sep 2019
TsuruyaKurashiki said:
TsuruyaKurashiki said:

You got a point there.... that's actually sad....

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Nov 17, 2019 7:41 AM
Jul 2018
HxH 2011, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Attack On Titan
Nov 17, 2019 7:44 AM

Jun 2016
Jojo
Gintama
Steins;Gate
Death Note
Sakurasou
Nov 17, 2019 7:46 AM

Jul 2017
This season's Ore wo Suki nano wa Omae dake ka yo, only the cause the manga (albeit not the true source still one of the sources) was pretty dark in comparison to the anime so half of the character choices made absolutely no reasonable sense why
Nov 17, 2019 7:51 AM

Jun 2016
TsuruyaKurashiki said:
The only music manga that I think is better than its anime is Kono Oto Tomare. One of the reasons being that I don't care about the koto performance lol
Nov 17, 2019 8:00 AM

Apr 2016
HxH 2011. The manga is amazing too but the studio did some things better than what Togashi did in the manga. Plus, the art in the manga isn’t very good but the anime adaptation was great in art and animation. Another one I’d say is Death Note.
Nov 17, 2019 8:11 AM

Jan 2013
Monarch9 said:
vegeta8639 said:

I know Sumire was added to the manga later to make her canon but she still wasn't present in the chunin exam section since her character didn't exist yet. Also her entire arc at the academy was anime original if I'm not mistaken.
Nov 17, 2019 8:12 AM
Aug 2016
I am honestly surprised how only one guy i.e. @Edocchi has mentioned Gintama. Gintama easily tops the list of 'Anime > Manga' list. The anime has top tier comedy, which can rarely be seen in other anime.
Nov 17, 2019 8:17 AM

Jan 2015
Attack on Titan. You'll never get the same thrill reading the manga as you get when you watch the anime.
Nov 17, 2019 8:19 AM
Jul 2019
Koustubh said:
I am honestly surprised how only one guy i.e. @Edocchi has mentioned Gintama. Gintama easily tops the list of 'Anime > Manga' list. The anime has top tier comedy, which can rarely be seen in other anime.

Except for the final arc. The Silver Soul arc is so much better in the manga
Nov 17, 2019 8:33 AM
Aug 2016
Jaegerbomb_106 said:
Koustubh said:

Except for the final arc. The Silver Soul arc is so much better in the manga

I disagree with you. I've read the SS arc and also watched the anime. I personally, felt that while there were definitely production issues with the anime with the fluidity and such, I felt more emotionally attached while watching the anime than while reading the manga. However, I respect your opinion. At the very least, we agree to all the parts before SS arc :)
Nov 17, 2019 8:42 AM
Aug 2017
vegeta8639 said:
Monarch9 said:

I know Sumire was added to the manga later to make her canon but she still wasn't present in the chunin exam section since her character didn't exist yet. Also her entire arc at the academy was anime original if I'm not mistaken.

Bro the whole boruto anime is a filler, you can call it anime Canon but it's still filler. It's nothing compared to the manga.
Nov 17, 2019 8:48 AM
Aug 2015
@Superns18:
I would also say Shingeki no Kyojin because I love the anime art (character designs, backgrounds), the animation, the music, the Voice actors... but also the changes they've made on the uprising arc.

But I don't agree on Violet Evergarden since I like the novel more. The beginning of the anime is too slow and got fillers I didn't enjoy (except for Luculia's story) and they didn't manage to portray the other characters (other than Violet) correctly in the anime compared to the novel.

I would also add Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood which is excellent (although the manga is really good!).
The Death Note anime is also as good as the manga, maybe be a bit more thanks to the music, the colouring and light effects...
Nov 17, 2019 8:57 AM

Aug 2015
Shingeki no Kyojin
Demon Salyer
Jojo Bizarre Adventure: Vento Aureo
Hunter x Hunter
Kaguya sama
My Hero Academia
Nov 17, 2019 8:58 AM

Aug 2018
Violet evergarden for sure,.youll not get the same type of emotional impact from the source, and not even talking about the great animation and music, it just translated a lot better
Nov 17, 2019 9:01 AM

Jan 2013
Monarch9 said:
vegeta8639 said:

Bro the whole boruto anime is a filler, you can call it anime Canon but it's still filler. It's nothing compared to the manga.

And you can call it filler but that doesn't mean it's not canon nor does it mean it's somehow worse than the manga. Boruto traveling back in time to see his young parents and talk to Neji is more interesting than what's happening in the manga in my opinion. Also Sumire's screen time in the manga is even more abysmal than in the anime so by those metrics I'd say the anime is better. But I will freely admit that some of the fillers are absolute ass.
Nov 17, 2019 9:14 AM

Feb 2010
Most of them that stay faithful to the source tbh. Color, movement, sound and music add so much to a story, it takes quite a bit of fucking up the source material to counter these inherent advantages as far as I'm concerned.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 17, 2019 9:33 AM

Jul 2019
I'd say Banana Fish and Devilman Crybaby from last year. For example, changing the timeline (1990 -> 2010) of BF manga was amazing and extremely well done. They modified details (bike, smartphone, ...) without altering the original script.
It's the same thing for Devilman Crybaby.

Sport Anime like Major or Haikyu are also better in anime thanks to their fluid animation. You really get the feeling you are experiencing everything they are going through.

Mushishi, Space Brother or Barakamon-like animes are also better because ''watching'' them is way more relaxing...

Having an adaptation is also great for the visuals and the color palette you get to see. That's why many mangas better get animated...It's the case for Land of the Lustrous, Made in Abyss, Magus Bride or even Shiki and Parasyte.

I haven't read many LN but thank God they made a second season of Log Horizon. Stein'sGate is a fine VN but here also the anime is just too good.

Some mangas are just too good and even if the anime is awesome, you can't forget the fact that you had goosebump while reading them: Ballroom, MHA, Rainbow, Grand Blue,...
Nov 17, 2019 9:46 AM

Feb 2019
Gintama
most CGDCTs K-On! yuru yuri.etc
Jojo
Kimetsu no yaiba
Mob Psycho
Haikyuu
Shokugeki no Soma
Fruits basket 2019
Great Teacher Onizuka
to name a few
Nov 17, 2019 9:52 AM
May 2019
K-ON was definitely better then it's source material.
JoJo anime is better then manga imo
Attack On Titan sound and awesome animation make the entire experience that much more immersing^^
Kimetsu no Yaiba Sakuga is awesome
Death Note I like anime more
Nov 18, 2019 3:33 AM

Feb 2019
vegeta8639 said:

very interesting take, most would agree the anime is very disappointing right now.

Xstasy said:
K-ON was definitely better then it's source material.
JoJo anime is better then manga imo
Attack On Titan sound and awesome animation make the entire experience that much more immersing^^
Kimetsu no Yaiba Sakuga is awesome
Death Note I like anime more

Have you read the K-On sequel mangas?

yotamdin said:
Violet evergarden for sure,.youll not get the same type of emotional impact from the source, and not even talking about the great animation and music, it just translated a lot better

well the source is still sad but they focus on some supernatural type shit that isn't mentioned in the anime, I definitely cried while reading. You may have lost something in translation tho.

Kirie-san said:
@Superns18:
I would also say Shingeki no Kyojin because I love the anime art (character designs, backgrounds), the animation, the music, the Voice actors... but also the changes they've made on the uprising arc.

But I don't agree on Violet Evergarden since I like the novel more. The beginning of the anime is too slow and got fillers I didn't enjoy (except for Luculia's story) and they didn't manage to portray the other characters (other than Violet) correctly in the anime compared to the novel.

I would also add Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood which is excellent (although the manga is really good!).
The Death Note anime is also as good as the manga, maybe be a bit more thanks to the music, the colouring and light effects...

They're not fillers, the story and LN are two different experiences.
Nov 18, 2019 7:49 AM

Jan 2013
Superns18 said:
vegeta8639 said:

very interesting take, most would agree the anime is very disappointing right now.

Would they? From what I've seen on YouTube most people seem to be fawning over seeing all these young characters again. You could say the show is relying on nostalgia bait instead of coming up with its own story but a little bit of that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
As for Sumire I'm not sure how popular she actually is but I think she's the only quality character that's been introduced in Boruto (not counting Himawari) so of course I'd prefer the version that has her as part of the story.
I'm obviously not trying to defend and of the garbage filler arcs like the Stone village one. Mostly what I'm talking about is the first 60 or so episodes up until the end of the Chunin exams and yea I do think this most recent time travel arc is very nice so far.
Nov 18, 2019 10:12 AM
Aug 2015
Superns18 said:
Kirie-san said:
@Superns18:

They're not fillers, the story and LN are two different experiences.

"Fillers" means non-canonical material, something that doesn't appear in the source material, right? So, episode 2 (Erica), 3 (Luculia), 4 (Iris) and 9 (when Violet wants to kill herself) are fillers since it doesn't happen in the novel.
It's not like the other episodes which follow the novel's chapters but with some changes.
Nov 18, 2019 10:22 AM
Jul 2018
I honestly think the story of the Vinland Saga anime > manga. By starting off in chronological order, we get more emotional investment in Thorfinn's character. The "filler" episodes I think really added to the story.
How was the Violet Evergarden anime different than the light novel OP?
Nov 18, 2019 10:24 AM

Oct 2013
I don't read a lot of manga but shounen usualy benefit from being animated the most, if they have good production values and minimal filler.
Nov 18, 2019 10:29 AM

Nov 2017
Well not a lot comes to mind, but i'd like to point out a recent one.

Enen no Shouboutai aka Fire Force.
The anime is doing a great job at adapting what's in the manga. But the manga fells short at a lot of places, and studio is filling those shortcomings by its own.

For example,
Nov 18, 2019 10:32 AM

Jan 2009
Mob Psycho damn that animation quality but i still rate the source material higher if i read them
Nov 18, 2019 12:39 PM
Jul 2018
This is something I should've added in my original post:

I think an anime adaptation is usually automatically better than the source material, if it adapts everything properly. I mean, anime has voice acting, colors, movement, music, compared to manga. However, at the same time, manga have the potential to look better than anime. The art style of the Berserk manga is so detailed and complex that no anime adaptation could replicate it, unless if the animators spent a lot of years making every frame look as great as the manga's. As for light novels, there's a certain charm of reading a novel, where you have to imagine the physical environments the characters are in.
Nov 18, 2019 12:56 PM

Jul 2016
Girls Bravo is better because it changed the gardening competition to a fighting competition.

Domestic na Kanojo is better because the manga art is ugly.
Nov 18, 2019 1:24 PM

Jul 2016
I could go on for hours about how Dororo 2019 wrecked me but the manga falls a bit short. it has its pluses, and ive seen people discuss things aswell, but I think the anime improved it by tenfold at least.
Nov 18, 2019 1:29 PM
Oct 2018
Its Mob Psycho 100 for me, the story is good but the manga art is kinda bad (it has it own charm btw, the manga wouldn't be the same if it has a different artstyle)

But studio Bones managed to adapt the manga into an anime with a similar crappy artstyle and make it look really good because of it beautiful animation, amazing cinematography, and colorful cast
Nov 18, 2019 2:45 PM

Jun 2008
I see some K-On up here and i couldnt agree more. It wasn't a bad manga it was just so lacking in comparison to the anime.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which one do you prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 19 minutes ago

3 by Sorachin »»
19 seconds ago

» angry sub only users ( 1 2 )

Yorda_trico - Yesterday

58 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime show good at portraying female drama/toxicity?

passtur - Yesterday

39 by epidemia78 »»
4 minutes ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

194 by Sorachin »»
4 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9038 by thatoneguy2440 »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.