Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 17, 2019 7:27 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, the first few minutes of the episode were filled with emotions. Ragnar is gone but reunites with Canute in his mind. I almost shed a tear.

About time Thorfinn faces off against Thorkell. I find it pretty interesting how Thorkell questions him about the meaning of a "true warrior". Loved the way the music is used this episode.
Nov 17, 2019 7:45 AM

Jul 2016
Great episode, from the very beginning, Canute did give off Griffith vibes, and from now on, it looks like he's going to be like this.

So, Thorkell vs Thorfinn...A fight forshadowed by the opening sequence, and so far, it doesn't look so good for Thorfinn. The fight was quite good, although I don't think it's over yet. Surprisingly, Askeladd had very little screen time in this episode.

Definitely looking forward to the next episode!

Overall, 5/5
Nov 17, 2019 7:52 AM
Feb 2017
I love it ! Finally.

Change your eyes welcum boy.
Nov 17, 2019 8:25 AM
Jun 2015
welcum2savage said:
Aight I'm done with this adaptation. What was that animation? Its thorfinn vs thorkell. If youre gonna have this many episodes look shit youd better make the biggest scenes have good animation at least. Is this really wit studio?
Lol. The animation was fine, but this ain't a battle shonen. Canutes development was the true highlight and Thorffin getting launched in the air. That had me dying. However, Thorkell threw snow in his face. Was he intimidated by Thorffin?
Nov 17, 2019 8:29 AM
Jun 2015
Character fuckin Development once again for Canute and man did he become badass with those words. Thoffin vs Throkell was pretty cool too, but Canute like holyshit. 10/10
Nov 17, 2019 8:37 AM

Jan 2019
"The world, God's divine creation is brimming with love. Yet there is no love in the hearts of men..."
ElucidNov 19, 2019 9:20 PM
Nov 17, 2019 8:57 AM
Nov 2017
People were amazed by Kimetsu No Yaiba episode 19...the same's gonna happen with this episode....what a fight!!On top of that some great character development for Canute .I dont get why people are getting so butthurt over the animation...it's pretty good.You can't expect every show to have KnY like animation.
Nov 17, 2019 9:03 AM

Mar 2018
Frankly I don't know what to say at this point, this is an amazing story.

Canute's development was wonderful and his final scene with Ragnar was very moving.

I checked the manga to compare the art and frankly this time around the anime does it quite justice, of course Bjorn's rage is more bloody in the manga, but the feelings were all there, the work on Canute's face was impeccable.

If Thorfinn vs Thorkhell is to end next week, I hope we can be expecting a real sakuga fest, maybe even Imai's comeback.
Nov 17, 2019 9:20 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Easily the best episode yet.

"Are you saying that death is the true essence of love? Then what is that a parent feels towards their child or a wife towards her husband?"
"Discrimination."

5/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Nov 17, 2019 9:23 AM
Oct 2019
Talk about character development! Canute finally looking like he serves a purpose and his facial expressions this episode were amazing! This isn't a shounen so it makes sense the Highlight is Canute's development but im pretty sure we will see Thorfinn Vs Thorkell more next episode ?(Btw i found out the word used in manga was "Prejudice" instead of discrimination, honestly idk the difference but prejudice seems fitting)
Nov 17, 2019 9:32 AM

Nov 2017
"What does it mean to be a true warrior"

One of the best episodes so far.

Canute and Ragnar's exchange made me teary, it was quite emotional.
Also, loved the background music this episode a lot
Aniik8pv2Nov 17, 2019 9:36 AM
Nov 17, 2019 9:35 AM

Nov 2017
Really the best episodes are always when they're not fighting (sure there was Thorkell vs Thorfinn but Canute stole the spotlight)
Nov 17, 2019 9:36 AM

Dec 2014
Incredible episode.

The direction here was awesome, the back and forth between Canute on one side and Thorfinn vs Thorkell was just brilliant.

The conversation between Canute and the priest was very intriguing and fascinating to watch as the priest tries to show Canute what the true meaning of 'love' is. The way Canute slowly realizes the pitiable state of mankind constantly searching for a glory that has no meaning, on a path devoid of any humanity and most importantly 'love' was brilliantly done. The soundtrack was nothing short of incredible.

It's a very interesting conversation as the show itself contrasts this 'love' against the warriors who seek glory to reach Valhalla and in the process mercilessly and violently destroy human life. The bloodstained path of the warrior who tries to achieve Valhalla is further questioned as Thorkell springs the "What does it mean to be a true warrior?" question on Thorfinn. I wonder if all of Thorkell's days of glory on the battlefield have finally resulted in him wondering if standing on top is even worth anything in the first place, just like Thors himself before.

Perhaps what Thors was trying to say in the very beginning of the series with "A true warrior does not need a sword" was that a true warrior must not fight for the glory, not the rush of battle, not to conquer, but to protect a life, any life. For it is possible that is one of the many meanings of what it means to 'love'.

All this of course leads into one of the most stunning delivered lines I've seen in quite a long time, as the camera pans from the snow, to the sky and to a scenic snow scene.

"The world, god's divine creation is brimming with love. Yet there is no love in the hearts of men..."

Easily one of the best episodes of recent times.
Nov 17, 2019 9:37 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Really good developpement in this episode, the prince is such a great character afterall
Nov 17, 2019 9:39 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Yeah that was handled quite nicely. Direction on point
Nov 17, 2019 9:47 AM
Jul 2018
This was a fast one. Took me by surprise when the end credits began. I had been looking forward to getting bowled over by Thorfinn vs Thorkell, but Canute stole the show.
Nov 17, 2019 9:47 AM
Oct 2013
I thought the episode was going to be focused on Thorfinn vs Thorkell, but nah, it's not average shounen story, Canute's development stole the show for me, it was well done, kudos the WIT and VA of Canute, one of the best episodes this year for sure, not in terms of WOW animation, but great anime episode isn't just sakuga. there's so much behind it and EP 18 delievered big this time. i'm officially HOOKED!
Nov 17, 2019 9:55 AM

Sep 2014
They absolutely nailed everything! Action, atosphere, soundtrack, pacing, direction, everything! Canute's tremendous character development is here, guys. You can officially say "goodbye" to his old self. And lots of memorable lines here as well. Next episode is going to be great too.

Potential episode of the year or at the very least top 3 for me.
MonkeyDHunterNov 17, 2019 10:08 AM
Nov 17, 2019 9:56 AM

Oct 2018
this story had potential, awesome characters, great animation.... but lack of story length and short action scene this is just a simple anime. Its a shame!

If Production I.G, Wit Studio wasn't related to this show no one would have watched it.
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Nov 17, 2019 9:59 AM

May 2015
VIKING SPACE PROGRAM WAS A GREAT SUCESS!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Nov 17, 2019 10:03 AM

Dec 2017
welp, let the vinland shill rekindle once again
Nov 17, 2019 10:05 AM

Feb 2018
I was waiting for two weeks to see Thorfinn vs Thorkell, but holy s*** Canute! This was his episode. That was his stage. Man. I sort of have mixed feelings about his character seemingly doing a near-180 so quickly, but I doubt this transformation he has gone through will be without bumps.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Nov 17, 2019 10:06 AM

Sep 2018
Wow, this episode definitely delivered some gorgeous scenes.
Jolyne Kuujou + Steel Ball Run Universe = Billie Eillish
Nov 17, 2019 10:07 AM

Jun 2014
Not gonna lie I was expecting Thorfinn vs. Thorkell to take the spotlight in this episode but it was only relevant for a few minutes. This episode primarily focused on Canute's character development following Ragnar's death. And I must say, from Canute and Ragnar's final exchange together, to Canute becoming a straight up badass within the span of an episode (look at how fabulous he looks in that final shot lol), I was impressed. He's no longer that crybaby that he's been since he was introduced, he actually seems like someone worthy of being a king now.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Nov 17, 2019 10:07 AM

Feb 2013
I was actually looking for more of a fight between throkell and Throfinn but regardless is was a great episode.I'm curious to see what the future of canute will look like and I'm also hoping the fight between throkell and thorfinn isn't over yet. People keep talking about Canute's "development" but honestly I would call it more of an awakening.
PyoungNov 17, 2019 10:11 AM
Nov 17, 2019 10:11 AM
Apr 2016
Ah, I've seen the revelation. I finally see what this is all about. There was no "God" behind this series. It was all a rhetoric "We must save ourselves instead of searching salvation from beyond". Quite generic these days, I must say.
Re:formed
Nov 17, 2019 10:16 AM

Aug 2013
Thorkell sent Thorfinn flying during their fight. That was crazy.

They handled Canute's development quite well. And his conversation with the prince was intriguing.

Nov 17, 2019 10:26 AM

Sep 2017
Holy shit. This episode did not go as I expected. Rather is blew my expectations away completely. I got chills. I loved every second Canute was on screen. Such interesting philosophy and incredible character development. I'm floored.

Besides that the fight wasn't just awesome action. "What does it mean to be a true warrior?" Ah man I only wish we could have heard Thors say a true warrior needs no sword once again or at least have Thorfinn mumble it under his breath.
Nov 17, 2019 10:26 AM
Jun 2015
emraanash said:
this story had potential, awesome characters, great animation.... but lack of story length and short action scene this is just a simple anime. Its a shame!

If Production I.G, Wit Studio wasn't related to this show no one would have watched it.

a manga that has been praised for years, with an intact fanbase, even though it's a show that decides to focus on a story set in a period of the nordic, and serve as an antiwar message and bring good characters to argue about this unnecessary killing.

but of course nobody would watch because of 2 studios...
Nov 17, 2019 10:30 AM
Apr 2016
Canute's morals and ideals took a sudden turn after that one event, and now he has become a completely different person. The rematch is great, no more rushing head on without thinking! Great episode.
Nov 17, 2019 10:39 AM
Apr 2016
twoego said:
Canute's morals and ideals took a sudden turn after that one event, and now he has become a completely different person. The rematch is great, no more rushing head on without thinking! Great episode.

More like he is now, instead of waiting for salvation, is going to administer it himself, like a king.
Re:formed
Nov 17, 2019 10:39 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Gabisu said:
emraanash said:

a manga that has been praised for years, with an intact fanbase, even though it's a show that decides to focus on a story set in a period of the nordic, and serve as an antiwar message and bring good characters to argue about this unnecessary killing.

He has a terrible, terrible take. Sane people don't watch stuff just because of studio, unless it's a real auteur kind of studio linked to some famous directors/writers.
Vinland Saga stands on it's own two feed because of it's great story and characters. The score it has considering the setting, demographic and lack of female characters is nothing short of astonishing.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 17, 2019 10:40 AM
Feb 2009
finally the character development we've been waiting for Canute sadly it did take away from Thorfinn and Thorkels fight
Nov 17, 2019 10:43 AM

Oct 2018
Gabisu said:
emraanash said:

I am not talking about the manga...

Nov 17, 2019 10:44 AM

Jul 2015
Daniel_Naumov said:
twoego said:

More like he is now, instead of waiting for salvation, is going to administer it himself, like a king.

Yes, He now he has created his own strong conviction to move forward and create his own path moving ahead.
Nov 17, 2019 10:50 AM
Jan 2019
I absolutely can't believe that people are complaining about not getting a good fight this episode when we got...THAT.
Like, holy shit. This has to be my favourite episode so far. I'm not a big fan of sudden epiphanies (I prefer gradual development) but THIS, this was something else.
This show is NOT for action/animation junkies only. In my opinion, what we got was way better than any sakuga fight they could have animated. I was waiting for Canute's character development, and had some expectations, but this episode surpassed them.
I have to say, this show tackles religious philosophy in a way that I have never seen before in anime. Hell, the way they're handling this is hard to find ANYWHERE.
Nov 17, 2019 10:58 AM

Mar 2018
Yooo this was so epic
Ngl I expected more of the fight. That one was a bit disappointing tbh but only because I expected so much

But Canute.. The load of development he had in this episode is amazing. And hist last words this episode.. I'm deeply shook

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Nov 17, 2019 10:58 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
emraanash said:

What? Just because this anime is totally different from what you like doesn't mean that you can describe it as a simple anime. When ever have we witnessed an anime with such great depth, phenomenal characters and dialogues? Probably only 3-gatsu no Lion in the past decade.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Nov 17, 2019 11:03 AM
Jun 2015
emraanash said:
Gabisu said:

Understand my point is not about manga but prior recognition of a work, which make people interested in an anime and not because some studios.
Nov 17, 2019 11:04 AM

Oct 2018
cchigu said:
emraanash said:

What? Just because this anime is totally different from what you like doesn't mean that you can describe it as a simple anime. When ever have we witnessed an anime with such great depth, phenomenal characters and dialogues? Probably only 3-gatsu no Lion in the past decade.

you are right maybe I am missing the spark.... actually nothing surprising happened yet or in this show show nothing surprised me... do for me its simple, it could have great but its simple...

Nov 17, 2019 11:05 AM

Feb 2011
Soo, where are the babies that whined over a panel 2 weeks ago ? Going as far as harassing the director directly on twitter about it...

This episode was phenomenal, but that incident and the Chihayafuru incident really gave the Vinland Saga fandom a bad look in my eyes.

The characterization and development was out of this world in this episode. So Canute got woke huh.
Nov 17, 2019 11:05 AM

Oct 2015
Oh, come on! Why disturb what was going to be the fight of the century, why? Why Canute, please tell me why?

I came on this episode with fiery eyes, but I came back looking like tuna. Not that it was an awful episode, but I wanted the episode to feast its eyes on the duel only. Not this Canute crap.

But hopefully next week it will be different.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Nov 17, 2019 11:07 AM

Oct 2018
Gabisu said:
emraanash said:

Understand my point is not about manga but prior recognition of a work, which make people interested in an anime and not because some studios.

okeh, what if it was made my some unrecognized studio or think about what if studio deen or jc stuff made it? many people would have dropped it after 4/5 episodes, a good studio already has a great marketing....... think about the non manga people watching the show....

Nov 17, 2019 11:09 AM

Feb 2011
lihle808 said:
Oh, come on! Why disturb what was going to be the fight of the century, why? Why Canute, please tell me why?

I came on this episode with fiery eyes, but I came back looking like tuna. Not that it was an awful episode, but I wanted the episode to feast its eyes on the duel only. Not this Canute crap.

But hopefully next week it will be different.

No fighting, no action, REEE the episode was so bad !
I think you're better off sticking to stuff like Kimetsu no Yaiba bud. Seinen is not for you.
Nov 17, 2019 11:11 AM

Oct 2015
emraanash said:

I have to fully agree with your post.

Your point has opened my mind. The story isn't that expansive, while the action is often cut to size every time it gets good.

The series needs a firmly flexible direction in the plot and characters to flourish more.
lihle808Nov 17, 2019 11:17 AM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Nov 17, 2019 11:15 AM
Jul 2018
Just when you think this anime's slowing down in momentum, it just picks up again.
As always, I loved the emotional moments, like Canute seeing Ragnar in his dream. I love how the music in these scenes is dramatic, yet very quite and somber, so it's not in-your-face. Ironically, I think this anime has made me feel more emotional than other drama anime I've watched.
I. LOVED. The conversation between Canute and the priest: very dramatic, and powerful. Unlike other anime where characters just suddenly start talking about a deep subject with no sense of buildup, and discuss it in an unnecessarily complicated way, this conversation felt natural.
Now sure, many people, including myself, will disagree with what the idea of what love is, but I don't think it's so bizarre for these characters to have a different idea of what love is. At first, I thought the priest's idea of "love" is to care about everyone; but then it became clear that his idea of love was to not discriminate against anyone.
Nov 17, 2019 11:19 AM

Oct 2018
lihle808 said:
emraanash said:

I have to fully agree with your post.

Your point has opened my mind. The story isn't that expansive, while the action is often cut to size every time it gets good.

it should have at least some decent fight scene.... I mean, thorfinn vs thorkell its safe to say everyone was wating for that, but they gave us 30sec-30sec fight scene....

I am shocked someone agreed with me...... no one ever done that, thanks LIHLY..

Nov 17, 2019 11:20 AM
Mar 2018
although the animation for the battle could have been better, canutes last scene was pretty epic
Nov 17, 2019 11:21 AM

Aug 2012
Canute has finally woken up.
Nov 17, 2019 11:23 AM

Apr 2016
Canute's awakening is one elongated bruh moment surrounded by his emotional dream and surprisingly introspective combat between Thorfinn and Thorkell
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by Herrior »»
Yesterday, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

795 by Lawgun »»
Yesterday, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
Apr 15, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.