Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 15, 2019 12:53 AM

Jan 2017
Chihayafuru 3 with a 10% of 1's due to trolling and hating. This is what MAL community has become. Nothing more to add. I hope moderator do something to erradicate this no sense.

Mod Edit: Changed thread title. Admin responses:

Luna (this thread): one, two, three

Kineta (general): one, two, three
Fleeting_DreamJan 27, 2020 7:30 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (24) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 15, 2019 1:05 AM

Jul 2008
That's odd. I was just about to ask if people hated the latest episode or something. It was like a 8.39 or something before?
Nov 15, 2019 1:07 AM

Nov 2018
shuffleair said:
That's odd. I was just about to ask if people hated the latest episode or something. It was like a 8.39 or something before?

It was at 8.60 or something, which meant it was the top airing show. That was until it was spammed with 1's, now it's an 8.02. They're only doing it because there are so few people actually rating it

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Nov 15, 2019 1:21 AM

Feb 2019
I mean, It's kinda an easy target. Small audience and an high score. Didn't Symphogear have the same problem?
Nov 15, 2019 2:16 AM

Jun 2019
NotFred said:
I mean, It's kinda an easy target. Small audience and an high score. Didn't Symphogear have the same problem?

Yes it did, but there were boosters at the time too to balance with haters. Now this is ridiculous 10% of 1/10, and the two threads reporting this were closed for generic reasons, while the point of them was not to decide who's better between Chihayafuru and Vinland (or some other popular shounen). I want to be a mod when I grow up.
Nov 15, 2019 2:18 AM
Jul 2019
I don't know what they think. This is useless.
For me, if I don't like an anime, I just leave it.
Nov 15, 2019 3:47 AM

Feb 2019
Meusnier said:
NotFred said:

Yes it did, but there were boosters at the time too to balance with haters. Now this is ridiculous 10% of 1/10, and the two threads reporting this were closed for generic reasons, while the point of them was not to decide who's better between Chihayafuru and Vinland (or some other popular shounen). I want to be a mod when I grow up.

Yeah. The the reason was pretty shitty for closing the thread. Personally, I didn't care about that Chihafayuru 3 had higher score than Vinland saga (Even if Vinland saga is my aoty) I was just glad it had an score above 8.50. But yeah, Chihafayuru 3 needs justice, because from 8.60 to an 8.06 is just a crime.
Nov 15, 2019 5:17 AM

Oct 2019
JRVV17 said:
The fact that the troll is now giving it scores of 2, 3, 4, 5 (possible just in case that they delete the 1s). When will be this problem resolved?

nice catch wouldnt have noticed otherwise.. good to know..
Nov 15, 2019 5:18 AM

Apr 2015
Something should be done about all these trollings. It's getting out of control lately.
Nov 15, 2019 5:39 AM

Jul 2015
If I remember correctly, account should be verified before having any voting power, like having certain amount of entries, exist for certain amount of time or something else. Mods should do something about troll accounts.

Nov 15, 2019 5:44 AM

May 2019
Its at 7.94 now, its getting out of control, apparently it will be fixed in code but i dont see how it will fix things, i hope the Illegitimate accounts thread gets revived because imo whatever they code can be bypassed.
Nov 15, 2019 5:48 AM

Nov 2011
This is the worst bullying I have ever seen in MAL. And Chihayafuru is an amazing anime.
C'mon MAL, we all know your algorithm sucks, it's never too late to change it though ...
Jim_HeartNov 15, 2019 5:58 AM
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Nov 15, 2019 5:49 AM

Jun 2019
Piromysl said:
If I remember correctly, account should be verified before having any voting power, like having certain amount of entries, exist for certain amount of time or something else. Mods should do something about troll accounts.

All of this makes sense indeed. I also pointed that it should not be possible to grade S3 if you did not watch S1 and S2 on your list (just to slow down the business and to make it more painful). Furthermore, one could impose to have at most one account associated to a given email address. One could also consider that votes for new users would not be taken into account before one month.

Otherwise, on another thread (not deleted today), someone (I forgot the name) said that mods were writing a code to prevent similar harmful actions in the future, but that they could not do anything about this specific case because of lack of manpower (so they say...). But this time I just find this too big...
Nov 15, 2019 5:50 AM
May 2017
MAL score has never been relevant.
Nov 15, 2019 5:53 AM

Oct 2019
janiwolf said:
MAL score has never been relevant.

Uh yeah? If its high more people might check it out? lol
Nov 15, 2019 6:19 AM

Mar 2014
I don't care about the score since I know it's one of the best anime airing at the moment.
But people who downvoted it really have time to loose.
Nov 15, 2019 6:21 AM

Dec 2016
I don't care this show but 10% of 1 votes ohh boi that thing is savage, almost a crime
Nov 15, 2019 6:23 AM
Dec 2014
ClaraValac said:
papsoshea said:
Every season, you see one of these threads.

But this one is bigger than others. We talk about "%10" "8.60 --> 7.94" I didn't see anything like that.
we’re being bullied because we have a small fanbase
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 15, 2019 6:24 AM
Jul 2018
FMA: Brotherhood still remains the #1 rated anime so yeah it kind of is.
But yeah to hell with haters, trolls, and everything in between.
P.S. Arata best boy.
Nov 15, 2019 6:48 AM
Jul 2018
DHancock said:
Chihayafuru 3 with a 10% of 1's due to trolling and hating. This is what MAL community has become. Nothing more to add. I hope moderator do something to erradicate this no sense.

Nope, the mods aren't doing anything about it, they are leaving it for the devs to sort out, and the devs are too busy coding the API
Nov 15, 2019 7:06 AM

Oct 2010
Interesting how a few bots can destroy a legitimate score, it was legitimate because the people who watched the first seasons would have scored this correctly, and it has a small fanbase. MAL is such a sad place sometimes.
Nov 15, 2019 7:22 AM

Aug 2013
What the hell happened to the score? It was 8.60? and why would people give a 1 it's a perfect show.
Nov 15, 2019 7:35 AM
Jul 2018
ElyessKhalifa said:
What the hell happened to the score? It was 8.60? and why would people give a 1 it's a perfect show.

Someone is making multi accounts to downvote
Nov 15, 2019 7:49 AM
Feb 2017
NotFred said:

yes it did. i reported it to the mods and they did get it fixed. but the problem with symphogear is that there were up voters and down voters haveing a stupid voting war in it.
Nov 15, 2019 7:56 AM

Jul 2019
What the hell is going on here? Is there a gang of 10 year olds who wants to downgrade Cihayafuru? I don't get it. I am a hardcore fan of some anime and manga series, but to downgrade another series you haven't even watched because of that? Really? Act like a man for god's sake.
Nov 15, 2019 8:06 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
NamikazeHime said:
What the hell is going on here? Is there a gang of 10 year olds who wants to downgrade Cihayafuru? I don't get it. I am a hardcore fan of some anime and manga series, but to downgrade another series you haven't even watched because of that? Really? Act like a man for god's sake.
It's just one person who has made over 300 alts/bots for it and the number keeps rising constantly

In the past the mods would take care of stuff like this but now it's just left to rot
Nov 15, 2019 8:06 AM

Feb 2018
This is depressing. Shows how a single person is capable of fucking up the whole top list. Chihayafuru deserved better
Nov 15, 2019 8:14 AM

Jun 2019
ThatShiny_Hex said:
This is depressing. Shows how a single person is capable of fucking up the whole top list. Chihayafuru deserved better

It also shows a good example for similar idiots: "go ahead and do whatever you want to mess up with the shows average". Mods presumably do not know much about game theory, because this special case is a repeated game where the choice of not doing anything is the worse strategy for the player MAL against all future players with bad intentions (downers and boosters).
Nov 15, 2019 8:56 AM

Jul 2015
Meusnier said:
All of this makes sense indeed. I also pointed that it should not be possible to grade S3 if you did not watch S1 and S2 on your list (just to slow down the business and to make it more painful).

This will not work out, because although not advisable, skipping seasons is physically possible and quite a few people participate in it.

Meusnier said:
Furthermore, one could impose to have at most one account associated to a given email address.

Are you telling me, that this most basic feature is not implemented on this site? Just... wow!

Nov 15, 2019 8:56 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Alright, MAL needs to do something instead of being lazy about it. This is getting ridiculous. 8.60 to 7.93 because of one guy on a mission to 1/10 the shit out of it...
DatRandomDudeNov 15, 2019 9:07 AM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Nov 15, 2019 8:58 AM

Feb 2018
FurbyOfDeth said:
NotFred said:

yes it did. i reported it to the mods and they did get it fixed. but the problem with symphogear is that there were up voters and down voters haveing a stupid voting war in it.

Sorry to break it to you, but they didn't do anything at all. Symphogear mostly had boosters and boosters have relatively less impact on ratings than giving 1s. Plus, it also had some 1s which cancelled out many of the 10s.

Its real rating might have had been 8.3 instead, but people rarely complain if an anime gets higher rating.
'I have no bonds tying me down. That's why I can see things as they are!!' - Yugami
Nov 15, 2019 9:04 AM

Jun 2019
Piromysl said:
Meusnier said:
All of this makes sense indeed. I also pointed that it should not be possible to grade S3 if you did not watch S1 and S2 on your list (just to slow down the business and to make it more painful).

This will not work out, because although not advisable, skipping seasons is physically possible and quite a few people participate in it.

Meusnier said:
Furthermore, one could impose to have at most one account associated to a given email address.

Are you telling me, that this most basic feature is not implemented on this site? Just... wow!

Nevertheless, it would force people to add previous seasons to their list even if they did not see them (which just takes a few seconds), but it would damage the bots. But you are probably right and this will not be considered (for Chiahayafuru, it is clearly absurd to watch S3 before S1 and S2...).

I do not if the "basic feature" you are mentioning is implemented or not, but since it appears clearly that one single guy created hundreds of false accounts, I can hardly imagine that he created hundreds of false email address, since this takes some time (verification, etc). Or he is a very patient and very stupid individual...
Nov 15, 2019 9:06 AM

Oct 2015
I said it in another thread but as a temporary solution altering the weighted score formula to favor shows with a high standard deviation would be a good idea. I myself couldn't do it but I'm sure it's mathematically feasible.
Nov 15, 2019 9:18 AM

Jun 2019
Orhunaa said:
I said it in another thread but as a temporary solution altering the weighted score formula to favor shows with a high standard deviation would be a good idea. I myself couldn't do it but I'm sure it's mathematically feasible.

You are perfectly right. There are normally around 0.5% of 1/10 for this kind of shows and one could mechanically divide by 20 the weight of 1/10. Many top shows have a rate of 1/10 less than 1%, so one could just dismiss any additional 1/10 in the average and apply this formula as soon as a show gets more than 8/10 in average, and use the standard formula otherwise.
Nov 15, 2019 9:24 AM

Jan 2009
since the other thread got deleted since it was suspiciously made with a bot account anyway gonna share this plan of the Admins to solve this problem with programming rather than manual accounts deletion

When I first created it almost 10 years ago, our community was significantly smaller. Death Note had less than 120,000 scored users—now it has 1.2 million. That is a 10x increase.

1. The community has become too large for us to manually delete upvoting/downvoting accounts. And it will only continue to grow from here.
2. In 10 years, the average user has become "smarter" at hiding their tracks. This means it is very rare for us to catch the person creating the problem; all we're doing is deleting accounts at a much slower pace than some dedicated 13yo has free time to make them.

Luna and I were already discussing possible backend changes for combating this problem and removing the influence on the scores with DeNA. From this, I can say two more things:

3. There are possible approaches we can take to combat this problem from a development end (which I will not discuss so that users do not find a way around them).
4. Upvotes and downvotes equal each other out on most popular+high ranked series. When we processed a dataset using our proposed mechanisms, the only scores that were really affected were series 10+ years old with smaller user counts.

I recognize that this decision is likely to anger some users. However, I hope you will really consider this from all perspectives and agree that backend measures to combat this problem are a much more effective long term solution than whack-a-mole. Until then, I asked for your patience—and that you not contribute to the problem.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=245618&show=4750#msg58156821
Nov 15, 2019 9:32 AM

Dec 2018
yea well, this is an optimal target for attack, and when you say trolls that might not be it. When the score is like this its usually just one person with a shit load of time on their hands. Mals implies that they will eventually find a solution for this problem, but were stuck with people trolling for now.
Nov 15, 2019 9:33 AM
Jul 2018
Meusnier said:
Orhunaa said:

You are perfectly right. There are normally around 0.5% of 1/10 for this kind of shows and one could mechanically divide by 20 the weight of 1/10. Many top shows have a rate of 1/10 less than 1%, so one could just dismiss any additional 1/10 in the average and apply this formula as soon as a show gets more than 8/10 in average, and use the standard formula otherwise.

The person is mixing in some 2/10 3/10 4/10 5/10 now
Nov 15, 2019 10:07 AM

Jun 2019
Jese23 said:
Meusnier said:

The person is mixing in some 2/10 3/10 4/10 5/10 now

Yes indeed, but this is quite negligible compared to the huge amount of 1/10. And there are usually more 1/10 than 2,3,4/10, so one could weight those with a milder factor. Anyway, this kind of users should be easy to spot; I do not remember who said that, but it seems on IMDb, an algorithm can track down these users an neglect them.
Nov 15, 2019 10:10 AM

Jan 2017
I don't even watch this anime but this situation is just so stupid, I can't understand what sort of person dedicates so much time for something this petty.

Interesting thing I saw btw, the last thread about this was locked and the debate was directed to a forum about overrated and underrated anime which this really is not about but, whatever. But when I went to check that thread, some people were talking about it there and another mod said not to discuss it there cause it's not the forum for that. So basically, we should just shut up and take it I guess...
Nov 15, 2019 10:10 AM

Jun 2016
pretty sure the ones did that were vinland saga's fans
Nov 15, 2019 10:38 AM
Nov 2019
Made an account to give this masterpiece the score it truly deserves. Also, how hard is it for the mods to police this shit? One idiot can fuck up the rating of the whole show with his bots? Seriously wtf is this
Nov 15, 2019 10:46 AM

Jun 2019
AkameYokai said:
Made an account to give this masterpiece the score it truly deserves. Also, how hard is it for the mods to police this shit? One idiot can fuck up the rating of the whole show with his bots? Seriously wtf is this

Welcome to MAL! Although the circumstances are what they are... It was explained previously that by lack of manpower and because the devs will design a general solution, nothing will be done until then (you can look up the closed threads on the topic).
Nov 15, 2019 10:53 AM

Nov 2013
Edocchi said:
pretty sure the ones did that were vinland saga's fans

A lot of the troll accounts are giving SAO:Alicization p2 and Vinland Saga 10s. Not all of them, but a lot of them.

Example:https://myanimelist.net/profile/heyin56
Nov 15, 2019 10:59 AM
Jul 2018
Jim_Heart said:
This is the worst bullying I have ever seen in MAL. And Chihayafuru is an amazing anime.
C'mon MAL, we all know your algorithm sucks, it's never too late to change it though ...
Pretty sure they are trying to fix it, that's why the mods are staying silent and locking these kind of threads
Nov 15, 2019 11:02 AM

Dec 2016
If the mods let this one go, then all that accomplishes is that trolls are further enabled to do their thing because they know the mods won’t do anything about it. The thread should never have been closed until the backend solution was actually in place.
Nov 15, 2019 11:16 AM

Dec 2014
I hope mods do something about this. I looked through the accounts that have rated this a 1 and they are clearly botted accounts with the intent to rate this anime a 1.
Nov 15, 2019 11:21 AM

May 2018
Definitely Vinland Saga fans fault. It's when it score higher than Vinland Saga, only then the bot comes in.
Nov 15, 2019 11:47 AM

Feb 2015
Most likely botted. Plenty of recaptcha solver APIs out there to bypass account creation.

Afaik there's no easy/surefire solution to fix score boosting, or I want to believe it'd be well-known and documented given the popularity of rating websites. This game of cat and mouse never ends.

So long as previous seasons remain well rated, and S3's reviews/forum threads mention this problem, hopefully this won't influence the franchise's discoverability in the long term. Let us hope that the downrating spree stops once the season ends, though the rank and mean score are and will be screwed.
rahillimitciNov 15, 2019 11:51 AM
Nov 15, 2019 12:01 PM
Jul 2018
TheCobraSlayer said:
If the mods let this one go, then all that accomplishes is that trolls are further enabled to do their thing because they know the mods won’t do anything about it. The thread should never have been closed until the backend solution was actually in place.

The mods are too busy deleting these threads, they don't have time to delete downvote accounts
Nov 15, 2019 12:34 PM
May 2014
Lolllll MAL just need mobile phone verification...
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (24) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» If you want to continue with the manga after watching

NiQ1 - Feb 21, 2023

19 by NiQ1 »»
Mar 21, 2:01 AM

» Chihayafuru 4

Kaguyachinchin - Nov 21, 2020

5 by Knighthammer619 »»
Mar 17, 9:43 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2020

148 by tozeos »»
Jan 9, 6:03 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

shanimebib - Jan 14, 2020

126 by realfifi »»
Dec 18, 2023 2:21 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2019

105 by Katsu-kun »»
Aug 15, 2023 4:35 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.