Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 13, 2019 11:38 AM
Jul 2018
For quite some time I've noticed that despite MAL having a 10 based scoring system, when it comes to an anime's overall score it only operates from 8 to 6.

Here is how it works from what I could gather;
10 - None existent.

9 - Is the highest you could hope to get on MAL. Only reserved for the few most over-hyped anime the community deems as masterpieces, or Gintama. It is a real bit*h to get there, but once you get there forget dropping lower for a very long time!

8 - Is for the anime deemed as good by the community. Hyped seasonal trash goes here!

7 - Is for the retired past seasonal rush shows. These ones can be a hit or miss by the community. Considered either bad or lost classics. Past 8th's can go in the 7 territory if they anger the community duo to controversial content.

6 - Is trash. Nobody bothers with those. The community hates them and once you are there forget rising to the 7s ever again. Exceptions exist only if the series hold up long enough to redeem itself in the form of sequels.

5 - 1 - Is old stuff absolutely nobody bothers with nowadays other than me. Reserved for mystical trashy OVA's or series nobody has seen yet duo to no english subs available.

What do you think of my conclusion? Do you like, want to change the current state? Do you not care?
I don't see it ever getting fixed any time soon, that's for sure.
Nov 13, 2019 11:46 AM

Feb 2019
I agree with everything. I would also add that 7s could be hidden gems or not appreciated enough.
Nov 13, 2019 11:53 AM

May 2009
Are you talking about overall average scores, i.e. the ones shown on anime pages?

If so, here's what I've observed:

9 and over: something that's just super-popular/super-well-respected.

8 to 9: generally well-liked.

7 to 8: sort of an "ordinary" score. Not necessarily "average" in a mathematical sense, but just "ordinary" in the sense that if you don't know of show being particularly hated or loved, this is the score range I'd expect.

6 to 7: niche works, or works that are more broadly disliked but have niche fandoms. sometimes this includes older shows.

5 to 6: a lot of people don't like this. so basically it's even more niche.

below 5: basically a lot of people didn't like this. this is often because people just don't get it, or it's tied in with a context that people aren't familiar with (e.g. a game that never got an English release), or people just lack the context to appreciate it (such as if it's tied to a thing that is very Japan-specific and is far outside the anime fandom's normal purview). it's not uncommon to see stuff like short one-off episodes presented without context showing up in this category. also, random surrealistic modern art stuff shows up here.
GlennMagusHarveyNov 13, 2019 12:04 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Nov 13, 2019 11:55 AM
Jul 2018
@Aniik8pv2 That is a personal rating system. My thread is about the overall rating system of MAL itself.

GlennMagusHarvey said:
Are you talking about overall average scores, i.e. the ones shown on anime pages?

Yes, exactly!
Nov 13, 2019 12:04 PM

Nov 2017
Dakago said:
For quite some time I've noticed that despite MAL having a 10 based scoring system, when it comes to an anime's overall score it only operates from 8 to 6.

Here is how it works from what I could gather;
10 - None existent.

9 - Is the highest you could hope to get on MAL. Only reserved for the few most over-hyped anime the community deems as masterpieces, or Gintama. It is a real bit*h to get there, but once you get there forget dropping lower for a very long time!

8 - Is for the anime deemed as good by the community. Hyped seasonal trash goes here!

7 - Is for the retired past seasonal rush shows. These ones can be a hit or miss by the community. Considered either bad or lost classics. Past 8th's can go in the 7 territory if they anger the community duo to controversial content.

6 - Is trash. Nobody bothers with those. The community hates them and once you are there forget rising to the 7s ever again. Exceptions exist only if the series hold up long enough to redeem itself in the form of sequels.

5 - 1 - Is old stuff absolutely nobody bothers with nowadays other than me. Reserved for mystical trashy OVA's or series nobody has seen yet duo to no english subs available.

What do you think of my conclusion? Do you like, want to change the current state? Do you not care?
I don't see it ever getting fixed any time soon, that's for sure.

wow you excluded Gintama from masterpieces. That makes me real sad
Nov 13, 2019 12:08 PM

Sep 2014
The way you made up your list feels like everything is trash to you.
Nov 13, 2019 12:10 PM
Jul 2018
@Aniik8pv2 Sorry if you feel that way. :/

Hrybami said:

Not true! I just haven't added the great ones yet.
I think El Cazador de la Bruja and Kiddy Grade are 10/10's.
Nov 13, 2019 12:12 PM

Sep 2014
Dakago said:

Hrybami said:

I'm not talking about your personal anime list. That was about your list in this thread.
Nov 13, 2019 12:14 PM
Jul 2018
Hrybami said:
Dakago said:

I'm not talking about your personal anime list. That was about your list in this thread.

The list in the thread I don't put any personal bias behind it, just see it as it is.
Nov 13, 2019 12:14 PM

Feb 2010
My first observation is that you seem to apparently round all scores down and ignore what is after the comma?

My second observation is the same as usual for these kind of threads. Which is that you're generalizing way too much, and in the wrong ways, because you don't take any other factors into account.

I mean yes obviously there are no perfect 10 scores and 9s are the cream of the crop and 8s are generally acclaimed shows, which can be more or less controversial among fans depending on the number after the comma. That is about as much as everybody can figure out about the scores on MAL. But beyond that it gets a bit trickier.

As far as I'm concerned high 7s are closer to 8s in being generally acclaimed and well received, albeit occasionally controversial. Below that, scores become seemingly arbitrary and you can find literally every level of quality in the 7.xx range and even in the 6s. It can be a place for mediocre or even bad shows from popular genres appealing to casuals with low standards, or excellent shows from niche genres that most people won't even watch but which are beloved by their followers. A bunch of my top-tier shows are like this.

Which brings me to the first factor you complete ignored: Popularity & mass appeal.
1. Popularity (number of viewers) is actually part of the mathematical formula for how scores are calculated and more niche shows with smaller viewer numbers have their scores weighed down, unlike mainstream seasonals.
2. Niche shows tend to appeal to more specific audiences which often have a higher percentage of veterans which are often more critical and/or simple use the full scale much more frequently than a lot of the casuals who only watch seasonals and don't hand out scores below 8. So a 6 for a niche show is a decent score, because the people scoring it will use 6 for shows they liked, while a 6 for a mainstream seasonal is a bad score because most people scoring it will see 6 as a very bad score and barely ever use it for anything.

That concept means that you can't compare the face value of the score of a mainstream/popular show and a niche one with only a few thousand viewers. 7+ scores of niche shows are more equivalent of 8+ scores for more popular shows, and so on. This applies to all kinds of niche shows, be they niche because of their genre, because of their age (a lot of people automatically score old shows lower if they watch them at all just because they are old, even if objectively they don't look worse, just different, they will be treated as looking worse because of prejudices) or because of other reasons like the subs taking years to finish etc....

So basically you should be aware that certain shows are inherently rated lower because they are rated by less people, weighning their average down, and because they are rated by people with lower average score using lower scores to express the same level of approval compared to the people who rate more popular/recent shows. Being old is the most obvious reason for that to happen, but there are some other things that can have a huge impact as well. Especially artsy stuff, experimental stuff, shorts and the likes have a much, much lower ceiling in terms of their MAL score.

As someone who loves artsy, experiemental and independent animation, I can assure you that the scores for shorts, music videos and the likes mean basically nothing on this site. They get automatically downvoted by basically everyone who is using industry standards to judge them even when it makes no sense. You can't expect a 4-minute independent short, animated by a single person, to have the same dimensions of storytelling, characterization and polished visuals than a 2-cour anime created by hundreds and hundreds of people. But that's what happens all the time, and that's why you will find basically no shorts with scores higher than 5.xx. Unless it's something shallow and polished like Shelter, which is produced with industry money and just appeals to emotions instead of being experimental with the animation or trying to get across a specific idea or theme in an abstract, artsy way.

AlcoholicideNov 13, 2019 12:20 PM
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 13, 2019 12:15 PM

Oct 2017
Dakago said:
Hrybami said:

The list in the thread I don't put any personal bias behind it, just see it as it is.

Only reserved for the few most over-hyped anime the community deems as masterpieces, or Gintama.
I don't put any personal bias behind it

Nov 13, 2019 12:17 PM
Jan 2018
Most shows that have
6-7 or are underwatched shows
Nov 13, 2019 12:19 PM

Feb 2010
Dakago said:
Hrybami said:

lol, you can't really believe that? You have literally nothing to base your reasoning on except personal bias based on a relatively small sample size of shows you watched. None of us have more than personal bias to come to any conclusions about the scores, after all all you or I can do is compare the average score to our personal score. How is bias not the defining factor in this process?

I was sympathetic because you probably couldn't know better than make your wrong assumptions and generalize basically everything under 8 as trash, but if you actually think you were drawing solid conclusions instead of just voicing your extremely biased and superficial impressions in the form of extreme generalizations, I'd just call you arrogant and conceited.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 13, 2019 12:21 PM
Nov 2019
We have too many normies. We should had seen consensus at least 250 anime and manga should have at least a score 9.78 out of 10. This proves their are many people don’t understand this art form and going through a gaijin perspective.
Nov 13, 2019 12:30 PM
Jul 2018
Pullman said:
Dakago said:

lol, you can't really believe that? You have literally nothing to base your reasoning on except personal bias based on a relatively small sample size of shows you watched. None of us have more than personal bias to come to any conclusions about the scores, after all all you or I can do is compare the average score to our personal score. How is bias not the defining factor in this process?

I was sympathetic because you probably couldn't know better than make your wrong assumptions and generalize basically everything under 8 as trash, but if you actually think you were drawing solid conclusions instead of just voicing your extremely biased and superficial impressions in the form of extreme generalizations, I'd just call you arrogant and conceited.

I put them as the MAL community sees them. Generally, I have fave shows from all range groups and when I said that everything after 6 is trash I meant that this is the way they are perceived on here by the majority. This list is based on my understanding from observing how average MAL scores work around here. I didn't put any bias in there otherwise I should have praised the 6 and lower groups.
Nov 13, 2019 3:20 PM

Dec 2018
In regards to the 5-1 and 10, agreed.

8's and 9's being overhyped? Surely even these groups contain shit but there are lots of lesser known anime with such a score. And it's only logical that anime with high scores get more watches because obviously that's the stuff that will get recommended and spread around.

7's If this is the group of controversial 8's, I need to watch more of this group because controversial shit is good.

6's 'Nobody bothers with those. The community hates them'. lol idgaf, some of these are funny as hell because they are bad.
Oregairu is life
Nov 13, 2019 3:51 PM
Nov 2019
@HeruruMeruru
The greatest trick is not showing how many Anime & Manga you watched on this site. I have another anime account in another website.
I will be transferring my reviews and ratings because right now I’m busy.
:P
I’m really old.
Nov 13, 2019 3:56 PM

Oct 2013
I tend to just ignore scores all together since everyone rates things based on their own personal biases.

For example, while I'll agree a lot of shows are overhyped, I wouldn't exactly classify everything with an 8 "seasonal trash". Also, believe or not, some people actually do watch shows rated 6 or lower and actually enjoy them.
FanofActionNov 13, 2019 4:15 PM
Nov 13, 2019 4:07 PM

Jun 2016
The 7.9-8.5 range is the least indicative of quality imo. I've given scores ranging from 3 to 10 to anime in this range.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Nov 13, 2019 4:20 PM

Jul 2016
I agree that the MAL-ratings could be more diverse, but it's true that there are people who legit enjoy anything that resembles anime, which I personally can't relate to, so I can't really say why.
Anyway, I can only speak from my own perception here, but I don't think you can really put any score range into a single category.
If we take 8's for example, there is stuff like Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu or 3-gatsu no Lion, which I think are amazing.
Then you have stuff like Kimetsu no Yaiba or Zankyou no Terror, which I think are very visually striking shows but pretty mediocre overall if you ask me.
And then there is stuff like Your Lie in April and The Promised Neverland which I thought were trash.

So with that in mind I really can't say every 8 can be put into the same category, like you did, though you could argue that 5's are USUALLY pretty reliably awful, though there are some exceptions aswell. I personally think Urashimakatasen no Nichijou, which scores at a 5.56 is the funniest comedy of the season, giving me a good laugh at least once an episode, which I'd deem as alright for a 4 minute short. To be fair, that is not to say that it's amazing, but I enjoyed it more than any other comedy this season.

Then you have 6's which from my perception are either niche shows or often just popular bad shows that would be 5's if it wasn't for so many people, who as I mentioned seem to enjoy pretty much anything and watched it. That usually comes from those shows having some element that appeals to the mainstream audience, like Isekai. See Kenja no Mago or Maou-sama Retry.

What do we take from this? I guess, popular shows are more highly rated than others -people who dig deeper tend have more critical thinking/aren't as easily impressed. Anyway, that's my take on it.
Nov 13, 2019 4:41 PM

Oct 2017
OK this seems like fun. Here's mine:

8.5-10.0
Mostly really good. Some masterpieces. Some overhyped trite which entertained the masses. But even that stuff is enjoyable. Very few particularly adventurous or bold or innovative (from now on just "different") stuff because most people can't handle those things.

7.8-8.4
Most of the true masterpiece works go here. Tons of "different" stuff which is as good as the best of the above tier but due to not fitting the narrow idea most people have of what constitutes a good anime, they cannot go any higher.

7.1-7.7
Most of the generic stuff goes here. People in to the genre / tropes on display will give high scores, most will give middling scores. Less masterpieces than the above tier, but they exist, only at this point they become so "different" that many people just don't get them so give low scores.

6.0-7.0
Actually less generic stuff than the above tier. Actual bad (not merely generic) anime start to appear. But 1 in 20 or so are amazing anime which are just way too "different" for most people.

<6.0
LOL + Shitcom
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Nov 13, 2019 6:34 PM

May 2019
I honestly stopped caring about the ratings, cuz a lot of older or more obscure mecha series have low ratings (from the mid 6-low 7 range) and I ended up loving them.
Nov 13, 2019 6:43 PM
Jul 2018
8-10: Most people like
6-8: More Niche
1-6: Mostly Trash
Nov 13, 2019 6:57 PM
Jan 2013
lower 7 scores are the 10s of niche series
gone bai bai
Nov 13, 2019 7:01 PM

Jul 2017
i don't agree with 90% of the mal anime scores
they are either rated too high or too low
i never use mal scores as reference
Nov 13, 2019 8:00 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Dakago said:

9 - Only reserved for the few most over-hyped anime the community deems as masterpieces, or Gintama.
Yes, I totally agree with you, Gintama is not a "community deemed" masterpiece. It is a genuine masterpiece.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Nov 13, 2019 8:11 PM
Jan 2019
Here is how I rate the anime categories

10: Nonexistent

9: Shit

8: Shit

7: Shit

6: Shit

5-1: Shit

Your Waifu: Shit

My Waifu: Shit

Cory in the House: You guessed it...

A f*cking masterpiece
Nov 13, 2019 8:22 PM

May 2009
Dakago said:

Hrybami said:

You picked one of Éclair's most embarrassing pictures as your avatar. :P Though, to be fair, it's from one of the best episodes.

lordsamhain said:
We have too many normies. We should had seen consensus at least 250 anime and manga should have at least a score 9.78 out of 10. This proves their are many people don’t understand this art form and going through a gaijin perspective.
????
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Nov 15, 2019 9:30 AM

Apr 2010
If 1-5 wasn't used, Try Knight wouldn't get less than 5.

Nov 16, 2019 9:00 AM

Aug 2017
10: perfect/masterpiece anime.
9: great anime.
8: very good anime.
7: good anime.
6: ok/"good"/decent anime.
5: average/not bad, not good anime
4: bad anime.
3: very bad anime.
2: shit anime.
1: trash anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 20, 2019 11:09 PM

Jan 2018
will have to redefine the mal anime scores after chihayafuru attack gets resolved. If not then it's free real estate.
Nov 21, 2019 3:15 AM

Dec 2018
I haven't watched Gintama but my lord, seeing you excluding it is just so depressingly hapless. This makes me feel more convinced not to watch it.

Other than that, nice generalization, quite on point actually.

Nurguburu said:
10: perfect/masterpiece anime.
9: great anime.
8: very good anime.
7: good anime.
6: ok/"good"/decent anime.
5: average/not bad, not good anime
4: bad anime.
3: very bad anime.
2: shit anime.
1: trash anime.

Sorry to break this to you but he's talking about the scores on MAL, not your rating system.
PreacheeNov 21, 2019 3:18 AM
. . .
Nov 25, 2019 10:59 PM

Aug 2018
a majority of the anime i rated a 8/10 are usually in the 6/10 range rated by the community, i guess we all have different tastes, or i just have horrible taste but i enjoy it anyways so who cares
Nov 25, 2019 11:12 PM
Dec 2018
9+ Score is for Anime that are considered as religion by their followers. They'll stay like that forever given their large fanbase. Anything different that comes close will be spammed with 1s, and if that show has low viewership it'll be pushed down to somewhere between 7.5 and 8.5, which depends on the will power and hate of those followers. So if something is at top for long time, it is likely to stay there, doesn't matter if better or more deserving content comes.

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

31 by ISeeLifePeople »»
50 seconds ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

174 by ColourWheel »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime show good at portraying female drama/toxicity?

passtur - Yesterday

34 by JKKH »»
12 minutes ago

» Reason versus emotion in the perception of anime

RobertBobert - Apr 14

6 by APolygons2 »»
22 minutes ago

» angry sub only users

Yorda_trico - 5 hours ago

38 by Zettaiken »»
48 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.