Forum Settings
Forums

Google Stadia launches in November with 31 games for $10 per month

New
Jun 6, 2019 2:57 PM

Jan 2009
The service is launching in November and it will cost $9.99 per month for 4K 60fps HDR with 5.1 sound gaming, which Google will be calling Stadia Pro. If you are looking at this and concerned about the price, basic 1080p gaming will be available for free next year. On the free tier, called Stadia Base, you will have to buy games separately.

If you pay for the subscription service for Stadia Pro, you will get a set of games for free as well. Stadia Pro works similar to how the Xbox Game Pass does, at least that’s the intention. Destiny 2 is currently the only game included with the subscription. They will add more games to Stadia Pro as time goes on. Games not included in the subscription will have to be purchased separately at their retail cost.

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-stadia-games-pricing-availability/

range of resolutions and internet speeds here https://twitter.com/GoogleStadia/status/1136665859487862784

thats nice hopefully this cloud gaming stuff will be successful this time especially that 5G is just around the corner
Jun 6, 2019 4:44 PM

May 2018
I wonder how many idiots are gonna pay for singleplayer games with latency lmao
Jun 6, 2019 6:40 PM

Nov 2011
Google probably has the infrastructure to deal with latency.
list of games available (source in op)

more options for consumers is always a good thing!
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jun 6, 2019 10:14 PM

Jan 2009
Stadia 4K streaming will use up 1TB of data in 65 hours
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1136744597399506944

lol better have unlimited internet (no data cap)
Jun 6, 2019 10:36 PM
Jul 2018
Dead on arrival. Just wait.
Jun 6, 2019 10:39 PM

Dec 2017
DOA for anyone with data caps.

$129 for a controller and Chromecast Ultra? Ouya anyone?
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Jun 6, 2019 11:01 PM
Jul 2016
I don't believe in the success of Stadia
Jun 6, 2019 11:02 PM

Jul 2009
This whole cloud gaming business still sounds extremely gimmicky tbh, but part of me does want it to be successful since it can open up a whole new world for consumers if perfected.

Emphasis on if, though.
Jun 7, 2019 12:03 AM

Apr 2015
Don't buy games on Stadia, you'll lose them after this dries up in two years.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jun 7, 2019 12:10 AM

Apr 2013
As long as I can't play the games I bought on Steam with it, it's useless for me. Guess it can make sense for some people though.
Jun 7, 2019 12:12 AM

Jan 2013
Meh.
Make it a few € a year, and I'll use it.

Not buying games for it either, since I have already all my games in steam.
Jun 7, 2019 12:49 AM

Aug 2009

Just because I can use it doesn't mean I will use it.

Jun 7, 2019 12:53 AM

Apr 2013
NexivsSelecaf said:
Just because I can use it doesn't mean I will use it.

dO yOu GuYs NoT hAvE iNtErNeT?
#diablogate
Jun 7, 2019 2:22 AM

Sep 2018
You would have to be an idiot to buy into this, it will be shit down within 2 years just like google do with most things. You will be left with useless hardware and games you paid for but cannot play.

Never depend on the "cloud" for anything because it will be shut down as soon as it stops becoming profitable.
Jun 7, 2019 2:46 AM
Jul 2018
QPR said:
You would have to be an idiot to buy into this, it will be shit down within 2 years just like google do with most things. You will be left with useless hardware and games you paid for but cannot play.

Never depend on the "cloud" for anything because it will be shut down as soon as it stops becoming profitable.
This is a problem not just with the cloud, but with all forms of DRM. Sure Valve might have said if they go out of business they'll remove the DRM for their games, but they have the power to prevent you from accessing the library you spent hundreds or thousands on.
Jun 7, 2019 4:10 AM

Jan 2009
i can understand the negativity here but to me cloud computing is inevitable (Thanos lol) especially that web assembly is gonna be the norm in the next few years so web programming will be on par with desktop programming making gaming as a service or software as a service in general really possible on the web alone
Jun 7, 2019 10:08 AM
Jul 2018
Wow, I’m so excited... Pinch me, I’m dreaming.
Jun 7, 2019 11:07 AM

Jan 2019
Call me old fashioned, but I still like to have physical copies of my games, I even go so far as to burn steam games to disks, so I definitely don't want to have another subscription service that has you paying for something you will never own.

Also, the asshats don't even have Senran Kagura
Jun 7, 2019 1:23 PM

Nov 2011
I would rather just keep using a powerful PC if I'm honest.

Having the game run locally makes sense to me, even if it is more expensive. I briefly tried out OnLive a long time ago and it wasn't for me.

I'm probably just old fashioned, but I will resist moving to cloud gaming services every time.
Jun 7, 2019 4:17 PM

Nov 2011
no, you dont need to buy their controller. you just need a HID compliant controller, which means, at least in theory, PS4 and XBox controllers should also work. if google stadia lives up to expectations, it could be a great thing for gamers on a budget - you would be able to play games at full hd or higher at 60 fps using a $150 chromebook, which is significantly cheaper than buying an actual gaming pc. of course, what will make or break the service is the list of games available, the price of the games, and the latency. im moderately optimistic that this might possibly turn differently from their past projects.

im not the biggest fan of google, but to be fair:

1. the business model
the business model is not that different from steam and valve. people buy digital copies of the game to play on steam compatible devices. the difference here is that this time, you will be able to play even on lower end devices as well.

2. game prices
no official prices, but as a comparison, dragon ball xenoverse 2 is $49.99 on Valve, while its physicial price is $59.99. Google will probably have to sell the games at a discount if they want to sell the games in their platform. there would be little reason to buy games on stadia if competitors offer at a significantly better price.

3. the controller
it's $69
https://9to5google.com/2019/06/06/stadia-controller-price-available/

still more expensive than Sony's PS4 controller (currently $40 on bestbuy because of discount) and xbox one (price range from $60 to $70 on bestbuy - the more expensive being "limited edition")
if you already have a controller, so long as its HID compliant (such as Sonys or the xbox one controller), you should be able to use it to play games on stadia at no extra cost.

4. data caps
this is not an inherent problem with stadia. streaming content at high resolutions comes at a cost. that is true with stadia as is true with any other game streaming platform or video streaming services. or did you think streaming 4K movies was cheap, bandwidth wise?

latency could be problematic though - especially when trying to play at higher resolutions.
DreamingBeatsJun 7, 2019 9:57 PM
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jun 7, 2019 9:43 PM

Feb 2019
Pay for games you can't hold in your hands and you will end up like Telltale digital customers.
Nov 8, 2019 10:39 AM

Sep 2014
I feel like the next time we'll hear about Stadia will be to learn that the project was aborted.
Nov 8, 2019 12:06 PM
Jul 2018
Have to give it to Google, though. This is an obvious DOA and they're still going for it, because I guess someone had to test the waters.

This will be a reality one day, sure. But by then I won't even be gaming anymore.
Poor Stadia...
Nov 8, 2019 5:31 PM

Mar 2018
I give it 6 months to a year before it crumbles under its own weight.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Nov 10, 2019 5:04 PM

Oct 2013
Luchse said:

Why you think that?
Nov 10, 2019 5:28 PM

Mar 2018
keragamming said:
Luchse said:

Why you think that?
I think it to be just another of google's failed ideas. Tech is really lacking for such a thing and most of the people haven't got the adequate internet connection for it.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Nov 10, 2019 7:02 PM

Oct 2013
Luchse said:
keragamming said:

Why you think that?
I think it to be just another of google's failed ideas. Tech is really lacking for such a thing and most of the people haven't got the adequate internet connection for it.

The minimum requirement is 10mps, most persons atleast have that. I can see how this can sky rocket into mainstream popularity easily. Just as how they advertise the youtube feature where you can watch a trailer and thenplay the game at the end of the trailer.

So imagine if you can play demos of a game that is within the trailer of that said game, and anyone can try it as long as they have google chrome browser, that youtube link or game link would be share easily on twitter and other social media form.

Easy access to games and being able to share links is what the internet is all about, just like how someone can make a meme and send it on social media and it spread like wildfire the same can happen here.

Nov 11, 2019 12:00 AM

Sep 2018
keragamming said:

Why you think that?

Google has a massive list of failed projects, people now have fatigue that they don't want to invest in something only to be left high and dry within a year.

They are at 190 now.

https://killedbygoogle.com/
Nov 11, 2019 3:39 AM

Oct 2013
QPR said:
keragamming said:

Why you think that?

Google has a massive list of failed projects, people now have fatigue that they don't want to invest in something only to be left high and dry within a year.

They are at 190 now.

https://killedbygoogle.com/

That is a good point, I don't even know about the majority of these stuff, could it be that Google marketing simple sucks?
Nov 11, 2019 4:58 AM

Aug 2018
31 games are too less, also I've got like 95 mbps but I don't have the datacap to make this feasible.

QPR said:

A large percentage of the websites on the Internet are on the cloud, whether it's on an Infrastructure as a Service like AWS or a Platform of a Service.
Heck even all those discord bots people use are hosted on the cloud.

keragamming said:

The minimum requirement is 10mps, most persons atleast have that. I can see how this can sky rocket into mainstream popularity easily. Just as how they advertise the youtube feature where you can watch a trailer and thenplay the game at the end of the trailer.

I think the cost is prohibitive. The games are too less and most people don't care about 4k gaming. 1080p is good enough for most people.
The ones that care for 4k already have their own PC and aren't interested in Stadia.

Most people probably aren't willing to pay for another subscription service. I would pay $5 for the catalog of games at 1080p 60fps.... assuming they get more games that interest me.

I hope it takes off though. Cloud Computing is exciting and Google is one of the few companies with the resources to make this possible.
xLoopNov 11, 2019 5:01 AM
<Insert clever quote>
Nov 11, 2019 5:12 AM

Sep 2018
-InfiniteLoop- said:

A large percentage of the websites on the Internet are on the cloud, whether it's on an Infrastructure as a Service like AWS or a Platform of a Service.
Heck even all those discord bots people use are hosted on the cloud.

Of course they are but it doesn't matter if they go. You are a fool if you depend on the cloud for things like home security of any other physical product that will leave you with a worthless product once they withdraw support.

People will be left with useless controllers very soon.
Nov 11, 2019 8:08 AM
Jul 2018
keragamming said:
That is a good point, I don't even know about the majority of these stuff, could it be that Google marketing simple sucks?

It's hard to market a product that is essentially inferior to every other competitor on the market.

I would be paying full price for the "privilege" of streaming a game, when I could buy the same game on a PS5 and play it directly from my SSD.

Even if you have the subscription, PS Now is still better, because you can download most games and not rely on your internet connection at all times (mine is actually excellent, but I still lagged on Mega Man, on occasion).

This product is basically a test. It won't sell.
Nov 11, 2019 8:26 AM

Oct 2013
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
keragamming said:

It's hard to market a product that is essentially inferior to every other competitor on the market.

I would be paying full price for the "privilege" of streaming a game, when I could buy the same game on a PS5 and play it directly from my SSD.

Even if you have the subscription, PS Now is still better, because you can download most games and not rely on your internet connection at all times (mine is actually excellent, but I still lagged on Mega Man, on occasion).

This product is basically a test. It won't sell.

Ok, I get what you and many persons are saying, but remember you guys are hardcore gamers, causal gamers that may can't afford console, or is interested in buying console are the market they are targeting, aka the mobile market.

Remember the based version is free, causals want to just want to click on the game and playing without installing patch or anything, they just want to play, just like using netflix, if it is easy to access, people will buy it.
Nov 11, 2019 2:20 PM

Oct 2008
I don't really get the point of Google Stadia. It's not like it's cheap compare to used consoles.

Nowadays, you can buy used PS4 or Xbox One-S for $150 USD / $200 CAD (with controller and everything, just no games, unless seller are generous enough to include it) on Kijiji or Cragslist and you have access to tones of library and console exclusive games. Lot of games from couple years ago can be bought for cheap price.

Xbox One-S you can even use it as a 4k Blu-ray Player! So it's a Win-Win!
Nov 11, 2019 9:03 PM

Oct 2013
Popura said:
I don't really get the point of Google Stadia. It's not like it's cheap compare to used consoles.

Nowadays, you can buy used PS4 or Xbox One-S for $150 USD / $200 CAD (with controller and everything, just no games, unless seller are generous enough to include it) on Kijiji or Cragslist and you have access to tones of library and console exclusive games. Lot of games from couple years ago can be bought for cheap price.

Yes it is, and people here probably think I'm up for stadia, I'm interested in it as I am a person that loves to say the advancement in technology and how streaming will change everything.

but at the same time, persons here are not a visionary and not seeing the benefits of this. They have $9.99 subscription for the pro and the based version which is free and you only buy the games, so yes, google stadia is a cheaper way to play games, without the hassle of consoles.

its also easy to access, you can play games form a google browser with just one click, right now with technology persons want everything to happen with a snap of a finger, which is why netflix is so popular because you choose you show you click it and you start watching it, dvd for example where you have to set it up and put it in the tv, is like too much work now and that is the reason why this will also make casuals that play on their mobile getting interested in it as well.

Nov 11, 2019 11:18 PM

Sep 2018
Nov 11, 2019 11:23 PM

Dec 2017
The day 1 lineup looks pretty meh unless you are a Tomb Raider fan. Even then the games are cheaper on Steam so it's definitely still not for me.

Data caps will kill this service for people in the US crippled by Comcast. Hmm I wonder if Google could build a fiber-optic network and call it Google Fiber? nudge nudge wink wink.

Nov 13, 2019 11:28 PM

Sep 2018
There is a story on Ars about the games companies not wanting to do games because they fear it will shut down shortly. I'd be surprised if it last more than 2 years.
Nov 14, 2019 2:54 PM

Oct 2013
QPR said:
There is a story on Ars about the games companies not wanting to do games because they fear it will shut down shortly. I'd be surprised if it last more than 2 years.

The more years it survive the more likely it will gain traction, because 5g technology, more games and more features.

I will say next year around this time will give us a better gauge if it will die or not. All this is just speculation or hope that it does get shut down.
Nov 16, 2019 1:39 AM
May 2019
It's going to be a complete failure. Aside from technical issues like internet connection and input lag, who the heck would want to pay monthly fee and buy video games at the full price that they don't even own. Their video game line up is uninspiring to say the least.
Nov 18, 2019 2:26 PM

Nov 2016
Discord couldn't even get people to play the games they offered that bundled with nitro.

Unless it's a constant stream of new releases this is gonna be DOA.
Nov 19, 2019 11:14 AM

Jan 2009
Google Stadia launch review: Gaming’s “future” looks rough in the present
Google's game streaming is too limited and too unreliable, for too little benefit.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/11/google-stadia-might-be-gamings-future-but-in-the-present-it-looks-rough/

welp the (internet) technology for clould gaming is not ready yet

too soon google too soon
Nov 20, 2019 12:55 AM

Sep 2018
I read that you can't even use the best wifi so phone gaming isn't going to work if you have to use ethernet.
Nov 20, 2019 9:25 PM

Dec 2017
Anyone that is familiar with Android dev and Google isn’t surprised that Stadia is basically a beta product.

I mean look at Android 10 Dark Mode A/B testing. They can’t even get a dark mode done correctly what do you expect when they try launching “the future of gaming” or whatever bs marketing they try to call it.

Nov 26, 2019 2:41 AM

Nov 2019
keragamming said:
Popura said:

Yes it is, and people here probably think I'm up for stadia, I'm interested in it as I am a person that loves to say the advancement in technology and how streaming will change everything.

but at the same time, persons here are not a visionary and not seeing the benefits of this. They have $9.99 subscription for the pro and the based version which is free and you only buy the games, so yes, google stadia is a cheaper way to play games, without the hassle of consoles.

(clipped)

Anyone who can afford the commercial grade fiber lines to play Stadia and get a satisfactory experience can quite literally afford every current console plus an enthusiast grade PC. Check out Gamers Nexus review of Stadia. It can't even run a light rhythm game as good as the lowest PC bench on an ethernet 100M symmetrical office line. A common 25M ADSL or cable line is not going to cut it at all, and 5G is equally insufficient and probably worse considering wireless is phenomenal at dropping packets.

There are other streaming services that are actually somehow more successful at tackling input lag and the bandwidth requirements, so really Google has goofed hard with Stadia. The gamepad isn't even notable in any way either. Plus there is still the glaring issue of not owning the full price games or even having a local copy to backup. Streaming games in itself is a neat idea but this games as a service trend is absolutely horrible for gaming. If they at least offered mirrors to get an archive of the game you bought then I'd give it some credit but that will never happen.

I won't complain too much about electronic distribution at this point but if I can't put my game library on a disc in case my heads crash or ssd dies then it's a nonstarter, and I know that's a pretty public consensus or Steam would have flopped years ago.
Nico nico ni~eed a siggy like the all the cool kids
Really wish we had a rep system so I could farm it and spam rep+
Nov 26, 2019 6:49 AM

Oct 2013
ItsaNico said:
keragamming said:

(clipped)

Anyone who can afford the commercial grade fiber lines to play Stadia and get a satisfactory experience can quite literally afford every current console plus an enthusiast grade PC. Check out Gamers Nexus review of Stadia. It can't even run a light rhythm game as good as the lowest PC bench on an ethernet 100M symmetrical office line. A common 25M ADSL or cable line is not going to cut it at all, and 5G is equally insufficient and probably worse considering wireless is phenomenal at dropping packets.

There are other streaming services that are actually somehow more successful at tackling input lag and the bandwidth requirements, so really Google has goofed hard with Stadia. The gamepad isn't even notable in any way either. Plus there is still the glaring issue of not owning the full price games or even having a local copy to backup. Streaming games in itself is a neat idea but this games as a service trend is absolutely horrible for gaming. If they at least offered mirrors to get an archive of the game you bought then I'd give it some credit but that will never happen.

I won't complain too much about electronic distribution at this point but if I can't put my game library on a disc in case my heads crash or ssd dies then it's a nonstarter, and I know that's a pretty public consensus or Steam would have flopped years ago.

Eh, I have actually tried stadia from a friend over wifi and it played solid for me, only notice one hiccup during the 3 hours of gameplay of Destiny 2, didn't notice any lag or latency, though I am not a hardcore gamer so maybe more experience gamer may notice it, but if there is any, it is minimal, his connection is 30mbp, and it played like I was on a console, while on the other hand I have watch reviews from Washington post with 1gb speed and it lags like crazy.

So I'm not sure on the reason behind that, but I have concluded that experiences vary and having a high speed internet doesn't guarantee a good experience.

It works and a lot of people said it works, some people tried it at starbuck their College and it played reasonable well even in those condition, I have seen people that are saying it needs 10 or 15 more years, and I'm like but it works now!

imo when next year comes and it officially launches google needs to make sure that all its features is available and ironing out the performance of the games as well. I think when the free version is out and demos are available persons will be able to know if this system is for them and that it can work perfectly or almost perfectly for them.
Nov 27, 2019 10:27 AM
Apr 2017
ItsaNico said:
keragamming said:

(clipped)

Actually not even those with super internet can, just look at dave2d's video.

Agreed on everything else. I find even the concept of stadia to be fucking horrifying as a gamer (and an ancient one that still buys physical copies of games that are worth it, you'll have to get my RGG steelbook from my cold dead hands), but stadia done by GOOGLE? I can't think of anything worse. Maybe if it was done by apple but software wise they're competent, at least. Yuck.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain

More topics from this board

» Gacha Survey

Shizuna - Apr 11

36 by Shizuna »»
2 hours ago

» What's a hated game that you actually enjoyed?

SnipeStrike - Apr 13

26 by Theo1899 »»
6 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3502 by Lost_Viking »»
12 hours ago

» Sega's Golden Axe video games series gets a cartoon adaptation

tchitchouan - Apr 17

2 by DesuMaiden »»
Yesterday, 3:27 PM

» Out of all the Mario games which did you play the most recently

KiraraFan - Apr 9

25 by SnipeStrike »»
Yesterday, 2:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.