Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Nov 9, 2019 4:48 PM

May 2019
Quite a dark and foreboding atmosphere. I'm genuinely really liking this season, which is surprising. I enjoyed the first half of last season, but I felt it finished poorly. I hope this isn't the same

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Nov 9, 2019 5:16 PM
Nov 2019
I can't help to think that this season is rushed, maybe because i read the novel but it is good enough.
Nov 9, 2019 5:26 PM

Apr 2015
Good to see Ronie and Tiese in good health again. I can imagine finding out what happened to Kirito and Eugeo must have been tough.

That bickering between Alice and Fanatio was too funny. Loved how Bercouli backed out of that right before they wanted his say.

So the battle is finally going to start next week! This is gonna get pretty intense!
Nov 9, 2019 5:37 PM

Oct 2016
Boring episode, nothing relevant happens in it. It's almost like if Toei was animating it with its terrible low pacing
Nov 9, 2019 5:47 PM
Oct 2015
Hmm... don't quote me on this, but in the LN, don't they slowly ease into the oncoming battle with more exposition as to the politics of the Empire after the Potifex's fall, as well as more downtime with the synthesis knights? I'm pretty sure I remember Renri(?), who I think was one of the champions of the yearly tournament, brooding about just being reawoken considering her recent failures. She gets a confidence boost and reluctantly joins the frontlines. Saying more would be legit spoilers, but it seems they are skipping this information? Hard to tell... I also remember another scene with the two trainees "talking" with Kirito. Maybe my memory is just bad; it has been like 4 years since I read it.

Anyway, what an amazing ending to the episode. So much more than I was expecting, and man was I impressed by it. I wasn't too happy with the first cour of Alicization, but this arc has been on-point so far.

We'll see Asuna verrrrrry soon. Wonder how they'll spin her entrance? (trying to be cryptic there)
Nov 9, 2019 5:48 PM

Dec 2010
Too much talking.
Nov 9, 2019 5:49 PM
Aug 2010
Yeah cool build up episode :D
Nov 9, 2019 5:54 PM
Oct 2015
Darken-san said:
Boring episode, nothing relevant happens in it. It's almost like if Toei was animating it with its terrible low pacing

I mean, this episode IS the setup for the rising action that will/should be next episode. Character building, world building, inciting more attachment to the viewer, driving home how important it is that Kirito snaps out of his current state, and slowly rolling out the gloom and doom - the Empire is mostly unaware of what's going on, and those that do already think they have lost.

I will say that the presentation/execution was off, though. The episode's pacing should have been slower, IMO. Show the daily lives of the citizens, the panic in their "government", the rallying of volunteers to join the ranks (many of which have never even fought before), the preparations at the wall, the inner deliberations of the enemy side as they form ranks, etc.

Instead, half of the episode was harem building. Yes, that was also in the LN, but of all the things to take precedence...
Nov 9, 2019 5:55 PM
Oct 2015
datsui said:

Nov 9, 2019 6:05 PM

May 2019
Basically:

- Now we know who the villain is and what he wants.

- We know what happened until now with all the characters remained from last season.

- We know that Alice totally fell in love for Kirito-kale.

- We know that Asuna-sama will come, okay since the last season. Someday. We hope.

OKAY, now let them kill and be killed!

- reversing the order of this is disastrous for any plot -
Nov 9, 2019 6:10 PM

Dec 2013
YOOOOOOOOOOOOO MY BOY RENRI AND MY GIRL SCHETA FINALLY APPEARED, THAT BLACK LILY SWORD LOOKS SO FUCKING BEAUTIFUL HOLY

oh they skipped Gabriel's and Vassago talk before the gate breaks, welp

for the ones waiting asuna's appearance, dont put your hopes up, she only appears at the end of volume 16, and we completed volume 15 in this episode, so yeah lol

the incarnate sword scene is dumb as it was in the novel, nice, A-1 keeping the cringe from the novel

Finally we can see the good characters from Alicization do something/5

except alice, alice can just go fuck herself
Nov 9, 2019 6:20 PM

Oct 2016
Andrewapps said:

Show the daily lives of the citizens, the panic in their "government", the rallying of volunteers to join the ranks (many of which have never even fought before), the preparations at the wall, the inner deliberations of the enemy side as they form ranks, etc.

The episode would be way more interesting if it was written that way. Instead, this build up felt more like they were just postponing the start of the war
Nov 9, 2019 7:30 PM

Sep 2016
Goddamnit Alice he didn't want the swords this time! /s

The Asuna wait goes on.

For now, let's get to the action next episode.

Superns18 said:
I don't get how the MAL ranking has dropped from 8.2 to 7.88, people rating 1's and 2's and doing reviews. If you hate SAO that much just don't watch it, man. We're 4 seasons in at this point, why bother yourself and hurt the score like that?

Read benjia279's review (Nov 3rd, it was top review until the 12th), it's so full of delusion you can see why people are trying to brigade the score of this show xD
FullyChargedNov 15, 2019 5:28 PM
bruh
Nov 9, 2019 8:16 PM
Jun 2013
i wanted Alice to kiss him sooo bad but its ok. next episode is going to be soo intense i can not wait, prolly gonna be split up into 2 episodes but thats ok too!
Nov 9, 2019 8:20 PM

Dec 2013
Alice and Fanatio fighting was surprisingly funny.

The ending has me hyped!
Nov 9, 2019 8:27 PM
Mar 2015
Strong episode and the ending song is fit perfectly with the tone of before-the-war scene.

Lots of death flag planted, tho. Still, It is the best episode of current season SAO so far.

Notes: Not LN reader here
Nov 9, 2019 8:28 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Best episode till now.

5/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Nov 9, 2019 8:30 PM

Oct 2018
where is ASUNA?
someone please wake me up then ......

“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Nov 9, 2019 8:53 PM

Jan 2017
Hype for next week!
Nov 9, 2019 9:15 PM

Jan 2011
boy people sure like this Kirito even by SAO standards the dick worshiping felt strong in this one.

besides a few lines here and there this episode was a decent build up didn't actually think they were just out right going to fight next week but that episode title ant wrong.

far too many red flags god damn
Nov 9, 2019 9:48 PM
Apr 2012
FullyCharged said:

The Asuna wait goes on.

Superns18 said:
I don't get how the MAL ranking has dropped from 8.2 to 7.88, people rating 1's and 2's and doing reviews. If you hate SAO that much just don't watch it, man. We're 4 seasons in at this point, why bother yourself and hurt the score like that?

Read the top review for now, it's so full of delusion you can see why people are trying to brigade the score of this show xD

That's not how scoring sytems work unless there is a massive data leak, if something is great than often times than not the aggregate score will show it. I personally think SAO's production values alone is probably what is pushing it upwards of 8 and the plot, and characters are what higher than it deserves.

For example excluding the third arc of oriental scale(perhaps 4/7th of the movie rather), that was actually kinda fantastic. But after that, it was poor execution on top of poor plot through out the rest. It doesn't have to be like that, Kirito doesn't have to just gain some plot device that makes him stronger every time like that. I didn't mind Kirito's dual swords till it was explained. The show is pandering to this MC complex, and I really hate the idea of self-insert because I don't think it's all too true for story telling, but boy does Kirito make it hard. A lot of season 1 was good, mainly because it didn't pander to Kirito quite as much.

Anyways I didn't wanna keep going. But I realised this episode that if Kirito didn't exist. There's no sense of suspense since I'm almost certain Kirito will fix it when he gets there. I believe this show would feel a lot better, but would still probably hang around 7.5. It really is a generic anime but it has hints of really interesting sub-plots.

We're not a tool meant to fill SAOs creator with coin, if you enjoy his work that's fine, but it's perfectly fine to express your opinion if you dislike it .For me personally, Kirito is dragging this show down by a lot, Sao would be a pretty amazing anime if multiple different protags were sharing their experience in "x" game tragedy.
HeartyaceNov 9, 2019 9:54 PM
Nov 9, 2019 10:21 PM

Sep 2017
deg said:
Alice got interrupted trying to kiss Kirito there

Fanatio is hot but not as hot as Lipia

i wonder what that new power of Alice is that Fanatio is talking about

final load test begins
yes she is, lipia is hot because of the tanned skin. but hey both of them fall in love with their leader right, i even call lipia "the dark fanatio" lmao
Nov 9, 2019 10:29 PM

Dec 2014
Old squires introduced...hmmm nice
Nov 9, 2019 11:06 PM
Oct 2015
I really miss Kirito, plz be soon that badass person again,, And where's Asuna?? Great episode though, but seeing Alice trying to kiss Kirito makes my faces kinda grin xD Also it was nice to see Fanatio again c:
Nov 9, 2019 11:09 PM
Nov 2017
Well paced and really emotional
Alice is always impressive, really hyped for the next
Nov 9, 2019 11:13 PM
Nov 2018
We are all seeing that Alice is protecting and helping Kirito. But plot twist is Kirito's also protecting Alice all the time. I admire these people's integrity and faithfulness. They are the things that make life meaningful. Wanna be like them.

"Self respect is the greatest gift we can give to our self"

Nov 9, 2019 11:15 PM
Oct 2019
- The last scene where everyone was ready to fight was really cool; final load test begins...
- Where is Asuna?
- Eugeo is still alive?Maybe?
- Whatever world Kirito is in, harem follows.
Nov 10, 2019 12:30 AM

Dec 2015
First boring episode after a few good ones. Too much talking with the boring chars.
Nov 10, 2019 12:42 AM

Mar 2018
Well Kirito builds out his harem and Alice has some crazy good determination as usual.. Seems a bit melodramatic tho

Other than that it was pretty much just build up and showing Alice's romantic feelings for Kirito
His kohai's will play a big role in that too as they also said "we can't admit that we were in love with them" or something

This is gonna get complicated when Asuna shows up.. Honestly wouldn't have minded sao so much when this Alicization were the original story from the beginning, without the whole real world drama

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Nov 10, 2019 1:48 AM
Aug 2017
Fallere_825 said:
- The last scene where everyone was ready to fight was really cool; final load test begins...
- Where is Asuna?
- Eugeo is still alive?Maybe?
- Whatever world Kirito is in, harem follows.

1) Coming real soon...
2) Still dead, but seems that his bond with the Blue Rose Sword is so powerful that a piece of his soul lies inside it. Makes sense, given what happens during his clash with Quinella.
3) Not really. Not ever.
Nov 10, 2019 1:50 AM
Aug 2017
katsu044 said:
boy people sure like this Kirito even by SAO standards the dick worshiping felt strong in this one.

besides a few lines here and there this episode was a decent build up didn't actually think they were just out right going to fight next week but that episode title ant wrong.

far too many red flags god damn

You don’t say. At least three Integrity Knights kick the bucket later on. Two are major.
Nov 10, 2019 2:19 AM

Sep 2017
lihle808 said:
Kirito is one popular guy, Fanatio has took a liking in him. Damn, I wanted the "that" and "this" she wanted to do him ;-)

I wonder where is Asuna, I sort of miss her? She did dive into the world, so she must be somewhere.
nope bruh fanatio wont do that, she is just showing her gratitude because kirito was helping her with her complex. fanatio has someone she loves already, and he is the commander a.k.a bercouli
Nov 10, 2019 2:25 AM

Sep 2017
better they dont fucked up the action in next episode, also i hope they will bring back the animation and hype from the goblin fight

if they do otherwise, i have none to say
Nov 10, 2019 2:35 AM

Sep 2019
This could be the best eps so far.

I'm not going into details, just to say that the foundation it set up now will probably pave the way for much more anticipation throughout the rest.

Anyway, I'm really glad to see Alice once again after 2 eps (I guess), and I'm still got amazed by everthing she have said and done, cauz they are absolutely incredible.

Really looking forward to eps 6 :))
Nov 10, 2019 4:27 AM

Apr 2018
So far, this is so boring. Hopefully, we will see Asuna in the next episode
Nov 10, 2019 4:39 AM

Aug 2018
This episode was pretty emotional, in a good way. I can't wait to see Asuna!

Nov 10, 2019 7:21 AM

Jun 2014
Damn it, still no Asuna. We got a lot of Alice though. If Asuna doesn't appear soon, I'll be mad. Isn't she supposed to be the 2nd MC of this season? Next episode will already be the middle of the season. :/

Eldrie jealous of Kirito, lol. I'd ship him with Alice if I wasn't shipping Eugeo with her. Kirito has Asuna, of course, no room for Alice. I was angry when Alice tried to kiss Kirito. WTF, she's only known him for 1 day before he turned into a vegetable, how is she supposed to have such strong feelings for him, it's totally fake. Similar with Lisbeth who spent 1 day with Kirito and already started to fall in love. Please fuck off Alice, Kirito wants only Asuna. Go kiss Eldrie.

That aside, it's nice that Tiese and Ronie will look after Kirito. The scene with Fanatio was funny. She seems more likable than I thought. I hope she gets Bercouli. Unless 1 of them dies (or both), of course. And I'm glad she doesn't wear her helmet all the time now. I'm curious about the 2 Integrity knights that we haven't met before. The young boy with green hair looks cute. Next episode better have some cool fight scenes. They should use their dragons.

SailorVekiNov 10, 2019 9:39 AM
Waiting for Gundam SEED Movie..... (ಥ‿ಥ)

Waiting for Sailor Moon Cosmos..... o(≧▽≦)o
Nov 10, 2019 8:21 AM

Jan 2019
I feel as if Alice and Asuna would immediately be in sync after meeting, similar levels of understanding things, but different circumstances.

And then I try to calm myself with the following scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD4B7ZQ2AQ0
Nov 10, 2019 8:43 AM

Jun 2014
Good episode, Im ready for some action.

Kirito still showing that hes the boss even while he is in a veggie state.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 10, 2019 9:31 AM

Jun 2014
Andrewapps said:
datsui said:

That's a guy, not a girl. He is in the opening, around 1:20 in this episode.
Waiting for Gundam SEED Movie..... (ಥ‿ಥ)

Waiting for Sailor Moon Cosmos..... o(≧▽≦)o
Nov 10, 2019 10:42 AM
Oct 2015
SailorVeki said:
Andrewapps said:

That's a guy, not a girl. He is in the opening, around 1:20 in this episode.

As I said, it's been years since I read volume... 16? 17? Idek anymore. I feel like I'm mixing Renri and Scheta together for some reason.
Nov 10, 2019 11:00 AM

Feb 2014
For an set-up episode, this one was pretty strong on the emotions.

I was really happy to see Tiese and Ronie appearing again. Although they had their smiles at first, it quickly disappeared after Alice showed them what happened to Kirito and also learning the fact that Eugeo was gone. It was sad to see them crying, but the way that Alice was able to comfort the two girls and advice them to stay strong was moving. =)

Fanatio also made a re-appearance and it seems that she's taking a liking to Kirito after he defeated her. The discussion took a funny turn when Alice and Fanatio started bickering at each other. When they wanted Bercouli to have his opinion in their matter, he already left them. XD

Not just that, but before Tiese and Ronie arrived, Alice had a close moment with Kirito and it DID look like she was leaning to kiss Kirito. I can't blame her for attempting this since she doesn't know that Kirito already has Asuna as his girlfriend, but I couldn't help but imagining Asuna seeing this happen and getting all angry. XD

Either way, the war is about to begin and, once again, the ED song was used to great effect as the gate finally exploded, signalling the start of the war. Since Asuna hasn't appeared yet, I have a growing feeling that she'll appear at some point during the battle. Hopefully my prediction will be spot on...
Nov 10, 2019 11:08 AM
Case is closed!

Jan 2019
Wait.. Alice loves Kirito.. Eugeo is miserable.. Also, when thinking about Asuna's feeling, I'm sad.. When Asuna will dive there?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 10, 2019 11:24 AM

Jun 2017
Just the right pacing this episode. Tiese and Ronie's reaction on seeing broken Kirito and Blue Rose Sword was sad to see. I like how Fanatio got back to Alice by giving Bercouli's example. She lowkey admitted that she likes Bercouli and was once jealous of Alice meeting him.

If anyone is wondering why Asuna isn't there yet -

(Not really a spoiler, but a vague explanation for those who are getting impatient.)
Nov 10, 2019 3:00 PM
Anti-social One

Mar 2013
God the ending hurts more and more every time. LiSA you to OP.

Also, Alice please don't give your first kiss away.. .I think Eugeo's final entity might actually shatter. (But also, after that speel about having many forms, does that mean one day Eugeo might be able to turn back into human form instead of a shattered sword? Is this when Kirito will wake up??? Or am I still hoping for too much.)

Finally, not sure if this is a metaphor or quite literally that Kirito will stay on the sidelines so that the AIs can awaken on their own?
Nov 10, 2019 4:30 PM

Feb 2013
Heartyace said:
FullyCharged said:

The Asuna wait goes on.

Read the top review for now, it's so full of delusion you can see why people are trying to brigade the score of this show xD

That's not how scoring sytems work unless there is a massive data leak, if something is great than often times than not the aggregate score will show it. I personally think SAO's production values alone is probably what is pushing it upwards of 8 and the plot, and characters are what higher than it deserves.

For example excluding the third arc of oriental scale(perhaps 4/7th of the movie rather), that was actually kinda fantastic. But after that, it was poor execution on top of poor plot through out the rest. It doesn't have to be like that, Kirito doesn't have to just gain some plot device that makes him stronger every time like that. I didn't mind Kirito's dual swords till it was explained. The show is pandering to this MC complex, and I really hate the idea of self-insert because I don't think it's all too true for story telling, but boy does Kirito make it hard. A lot of season 1 was good, mainly because it didn't pander to Kirito quite as much.

Anyways I didn't wanna keep going. But I realised this episode that if Kirito didn't exist. There's no sense of suspense since I'm almost certain Kirito will fix it when he gets there. I believe this show would feel a lot better, but would still probably hang around 7.5. It really is a generic anime but it has hints of really interesting sub-plots.

We're not a tool meant to fill SAOs creator with coin, if you enjoy his work that's fine, but it's perfectly fine to express your opinion if you dislike it .For me personally, Kirito is dragging this show down by a lot, Sao would be a pretty amazing anime if multiple different protags were sharing their experience in "x" game tragedy.

I mean man, you're not giving money to Kawahara because this is an anime adaptation. His royalties won't be that big and most will go to the committee or even the studio. And you're also not seeing his work, you're seeing an anime adaptation of his light novel, which the people that read the light novel know that many important things had to be cut for the story to happen on this arc due to how huge it is (10 volumes, and many important descriptions and internal thoughts weren't translated to anime) and also added original scenes that has plot holes in it like Asuna making a phone call on the Ocean turtle or entering the Fairy VR World inside there as well.

Anyway, with that said, you can dislike and all, but to write reviews like those people do? With many misinformation about the anime, about the author and being so aggressive when writing a piece? Nah, there's no need for that. Even more when we are on the third season of this series and people who hates it still are hate watching.
Nov 10, 2019 4:32 PM

Feb 2013
YumioSF said:
Wait.. Alice loves Kirito.. Eugeo is miserable.. Also, when thinking about Asuna's feeling, I'm sad.. When Asuna will dive there?

Asuna already dived. You all seem to forget that Underworld has time acceleration, so if she entered the system 20 min after the antagonists, she'll reach there days after them, so mid war. That of course isn't a spoiler, it was literally showed in the anime. XD
Nov 10, 2019 4:33 PM

Feb 2013
I just wanted to say that the part with Tiese and Ronye was very well done, which as someone who worked as a psychologist with victims of such things, it's very similar in some kind. It showed that they still feel guilty due to what happened on episode 10 for what happened there with them and later, which makes total sense, as any person would feel the same be it due to the sexual assault or the consequences that came later.

Victims of abuse, sexual assault or rape in real life in most of the cases will feel guilty for what happened to them, which it's what happened here and after that, Alice did her job with a consolation, saying that it's not their fault at all and so on, which not only shows the side of the guilty but also the side of hope. Between the 3 sexual assault scenes in SAO, that one was by far the best handled in what happened after it, which unfortunately, most people won't care or will even see it, but much like I criticized it before, I will give a congrats for how it was handled here.
Nov 10, 2019 6:25 PM
Case is closed!

Jan 2019
Nemesis16 said:
YumioSF said:

Asuna already dived. You all seem to forget that Underworld has time acceleration, so if she entered the system 20 min after the antagonists, she'll reach there days after them, so mid war. That of course isn't a spoiler, it was literally showed in the anime. XD

Yea. You're right. Thank you for reminding me of that. I almost forgot that XD
Nov 10, 2019 7:12 PM

May 2012
finally the time is here!
they spent half of the season making the intro. let's hope the real deal is not half baked. (or an additional sao movie for the real fight/conclusion of alicization?)
if you want good story, read novel. if you want good graphic, read manga. anime is beyond that.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2019

261 by futurelemon »»
Apr 15, 9:24 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2019

193 by RicFie »»
Apr 13, 10:27 AM

Poll: » Favorite SAO couple? [Spoilers]

Kazu-chan-san - Feb 17

7 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 17, 10:24 AM

» why do people like alice? ( 1 2 )

JoshMan - Oct 23, 2019

72 by DiamSilver »»
Feb 5, 10:18 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2019

160 by dilaxd »»
Jan 17, 1:30 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.