Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 8, 2019 6:41 AM
Feb 2017
I'm definitely a weeb. For sure. As I am getting close to having 100 different anime watched, I have spent countless hours as an adult being entertained by Japanese cartoons.

What about you? How much of a weeb are you? Don't lie to yourself, be honest on this post!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 8, 2019 7:07 AM

Jan 2013
If having watching a great number of anime is what makes you a weeb, then I guess I am. But outside of that, I don't partake in activities surrounding anime ever in my life (such as cosplaying, anime conventions or whatever). I also own 0 manga. :(
Nov 8, 2019 7:35 AM
Jul 2018
I don't think I am a weeb. I just think that Japan has alot of entertainment to offer the world compared to alot of other countries. I mean think of a random country and compare it to Japan in terms of what is entertaining for you. Enough said.
Nov 8, 2019 7:37 AM

Feb 2018
why there is a rikka in the middle of the forum?. maybe only weebs can see her, without exception!. weebs.
Nov 8, 2019 7:44 AM

Jan 2018
I'm not affected by that term, I guess I'm happy to call myself an anime fan or casual watcher but I still need to actually go to an anime convention for once.
Nov 8, 2019 8:04 AM
Aug 2016
Having a bunch of watched anime doesn't make you a weeb. If you also have a lot of anime posters and figurines and talk all the time about anime and use Japanese words when your native language is not Japanese, then you can call yourself a weeb. I personally don't consider myself a weeb.
Nov 8, 2019 8:53 AM

Mar 2019
I in fact think Japanese culture is quite awful, as I think of most cultures.

Also, I use the glorious Nihon-Siki romanization of the Japanese language, and in fact am of the camp that Japan should itself switch to romanization, which I treat as similar to my advocacy that the United States should switch to metric, which places me well above the bourgeois weebery.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Nov 8, 2019 9:05 AM
Jul 2018
Not at all, a weeb, in definition, is when a non-Japanese person is engrossed with Japanese culture that they wish they were Japanese themselves. Often regarding other cultures to be inferior to the Japanese culture.

So no, watching 100 different anime, or any other number of animes doesn't make you a weeb per-say. You can still enjoy the culture, watch anime, or do other Japanese related stuff without being a weeb.
Nov 8, 2019 9:15 AM

Sep 2019
Kuroko-chan said:
Having a bunch of watched anime doesn't make you a weeb.
xServantx said:
watching 100 different anime, or any other number of animes doesn't make you a weeb per-say. You can still enjoy the culture, watch anime, or do other Japanese related stuff without being a weeb.
I'm afraid both of these statements are false. The official definition of weeb has been established for quite some time at this point.

The official definition of weeb:
Popular shows you may have watched growing up without even knowing they were anime (Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, etc.) and popular shows you can watch without having to switch tabs if someone walks in on you (Attack on Titan, One Punch Man, etc.) are deemed as acceptable anime.

You watch anything else, you're a full-blown weeb. Simple as that.
You have been educated and you're welcome.

I am a god

Even though I'm a man of god

My whole life in the hand of god

So y'all better quit playing with god

Nov 8, 2019 9:15 AM

May 2013
No you can even watch Studio Ghibli movies hahah they have the voice of Billy Bob Thorton for God's sake
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Nov 8, 2019 9:24 AM
Jul 2018
Jokah said:
Kuroko-chan said:
xServantx said:
watching 100 different anime, or any other number of animes doesn't make you a weeb per-say. You can still enjoy the culture, watch anime, or do other Japanese related stuff without being a weeb.
I'm afraid both of these statements are false. The official definition of weeb has been established for quite some time at this point.

Popular shows you may have watched growing up without even knowing they were anime (Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, etc.) and popular shows you can watch without having to switch tabs if someone walks in on you (Attack on Titan, One Punch Man, etc.) are deemed as acceptable anime.

Oh my. That's certainly one way to look at things, thank you.
Nov 8, 2019 9:36 AM

Sep 2018
I'm not a weeb! Most of people don't even know what a weeb means! I'm having an active life out of anime too and I'm not so stuck to it!
Nov 8, 2019 9:46 AM

Jan 2019
no, since i doesnt really collecting any-something relate into anime stuff (figures, poster, etc). and my music taste still prefer western/local (ina) music tho.
Nov 8, 2019 11:09 AM

Jun 2016
Gomenasai, my name is Ken-Sama.

I’m a 27 year old American Otaku (Anime fan for you gaijins). I draw Anime and Manga on my tablet, and spend my days perfecting my art and playing superior Japanese games. (Disgaea, Final Fantasy, Persona series)

I train with my Katana every day, this superior weapon can cut clean through steel because it is folded over a thousand times, and is vastly superior to any other weapon on earth. I earned my sword license two years ago, and I have been getting better every day.

I speak Japanese fluently, both Kanji and the Osaka dialect, and I write fluently as well. I know everything about Japanese history and their bushido code, which I follow 100%

When I get my Japanese visa, I am moving to Tokyo to attend a prestigious High School to learn more about their magnificent culture. I hope I can become an animator for Studio Ghibli or a game designer!

I own several kimonos, which I wear around town. I want to get used to wearing them before I move to Japan, so I can fit in easier. I bow to my elders and seniors and speak Japanese as often as I can, but rarely does anyone manage to respond.

Wish me luck in Japan!
Nov 8, 2019 2:49 PM
Jul 2018
Well I have a few figurines and used to watch a bit more anime than American stuff so I guess I'm partly a weeb. With that being said, I'm not really much into anime these days since I'm more into superheroes and games.
Nov 8, 2019 3:31 PM
Jul 2018
I really have no idea. I think I don't have the money to be a proper weeb.
Nov 8, 2019 4:02 PM

Apr 2016
Never. I would never identify myself with a word that is attached and used by so many cringe and intolerable people.

I'm just a dude that watches anime and that's it.
Nov 8, 2019 7:32 PM

Jun 2016
No. In fact, when I become ruler of this world, I am going to have the weeb population forcibly removed to reeducation camps before they are reintegrated into society.
The football field isn't the only place where you could use a good line.
Nov 8, 2019 7:33 PM

Jan 2019
I wouldn't consider myself a weeb just someone who watches anime.
Nov 8, 2019 7:36 PM

Jan 2017
Nah you can only become a weeb when you want to be Japanese and this song starts playing in your head

Nov 8, 2019 7:38 PM
Oct 2019
Oh absolutely, even some my friends tell me i'm a weeb just to bust me. Not that i care tho. :P
Nov 8, 2019 7:44 PM

Jan 2019
Not really . btw I dont think the number of anime you watch is what makes you a weeb. Maybe buying figurines and merch I guess? I would buy some myself but I dont have that amount of disposable income.
Nov 8, 2019 8:11 PM

Feb 2017
Oh man something boils in me when i see people ON myanimelist not calling themselves a weeb...i mean really?

Every user on myanimelist is freakin WEEB. They just dont want to accept it for god knows what reason.

Nov 8, 2019 9:37 PM

Mar 2013
I mean..

<

If you have an anime profile pic/avatar, you're a weeb. That's like 99% of MAL right there. Hell, if you have watched enough anime to warrant making a MAL account then you're already pretty deep into weeb territory.

Well, I don't care that much about Japan outside of anime and hentai, so I don't really consider myself a weeb if we're going by that definition about being obsessed with Japan's culture and denouncing your own, etc. Not that it matters though, since nowadays the definition of a weeb has mutated into just 'liking anime = being a weeb'.

Nov 9, 2019 12:39 AM
Aug 2016
Jokah said:
Kuroko-chan said:
xServantx said:

I simply don't care if I'm called a weeb as long as I know I am not one.
Nov 9, 2019 3:04 AM

Jan 2009
im a weeb developer i spread weebness around here
Nov 9, 2019 3:20 AM

Feb 2019
By Our Lord and Savior, Filthy Frank's standards, no.
Nov 9, 2019 7:36 AM

Sep 2019
xServantx said:
Jokah said:

Don't worry about it. I'm always happy to enlighten people. That's what I'm here for! (◠ω◠)

Kuroko-chan said:
Jokah said:

I respect your right to remain willfully ignorant if it makes you feel better about your weebery.

I am a god

Nov 9, 2019 7:46 AM
Aug 2016
Jokah said:
I respect your right to remain willfully ignorant if it makes you feel better about your weebery.

It's not like I'm ignorant or anything, but who decided that that's the official definition of what a weeb is?

And also, this thread is called ''Do you consider yourself a weeb?'', not ''How much of a weeb are you?''
Nov 9, 2019 9:03 AM

Sep 2019
Kuroko-chan said:
Jokah said:

It's not like I'm ignorant or anything, but who decided that that's the official definition of what a weeb is?

And also, this thread is called ''Do you consider yourself a weeb?'', not ''How much of a weeb are you?''
You know, that's a good question. Who is it exactly that decides the meaning of a word? I suppose it would be the god of definitions haha.

Duh. There are only 2 levels of weebery anyway:
Weeb: Watches anime (except for the select few shows that have been deemed acceptable).

Turbo weeb: Worships Japan.

I am a god

Nov 9, 2019 9:22 AM

Mar 2019
Definitely not after it has recently come under my attention that 60% of Japanese public schools not only permit not their students to dye their hair whatever color they like or texture it in whatever way they want, but also require the students with naturally nonblack and nonstraight hair to dye it black, and straighten it.

Japanese culture is soothly disturbingly obsessed with such authoritarian conformance.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Nov 9, 2019 11:42 AM
Jul 2018
If gingers have souls then weebs have souls. Embrace the weeb. Wear the weeb badge with honour. Be the weeb. You are the weeb.

Erg_Orgy said:
Gomenasai, my name is Ken-Sama.

I’m a 27 year old American Otaku (Anime fan for you gaijins). I draw Anime and Manga on my tablet, and spend my days perfecting my art and playing superior Japanese games. (Disgaea, Final Fantasy, Persona series)

I train with my Katana every day, this superior weapon can cut clean through steel because it is folded over a thousand times, and is vastly superior to any other weapon on earth. I earned my sword license two years ago, and I have been getting better every day.

I speak Japanese fluently, both Kanji and the Osaka dialect, and I write fluently as well. I know everything about Japanese history and their bushido code, which I follow 100%

When I get my Japanese visa, I am moving to Tokyo to attend a prestigious High School to learn more about their magnificent culture. I hope I can become an animator for Studio Ghibli or a game designer!

I own several kimonos, which I wear around town. I want to get used to wearing them before I move to Japan, so I can fit in easier. I bow to my elders and seniors and speak Japanese as often as I can, but rarely does anyone manage to respond.

Wish me luck in Japan!

looool!
Nov 9, 2019 11:50 AM

Sep 2019
Before weeb meant person who enjoys anime, it literally meant white person who "acts like a Japanese person" so no. I consider myself an otaku because I'm black and I just like anime lol
Nov 9, 2019 11:51 AM
Jul 2018
Jokah said:
xServantx said:

Don't worry about it. I'm always happy to enlighten people. That's what I'm here for! (◠ω◠)

Kuroko-chan said:

Knight in shining armor aren't you?
Nov 9, 2019 11:52 AM

Aug 2018
Yeah. I think it's safe to say I am. I get excited when someone talks about anime I'm watching/has watched outside the internet or inside. Don't get excited that much about anything else.

Nov 9, 2019 1:08 PM

Sep 2019
xServantx said:
Jokah said:

I'd say I'm more of a scholar sharing my wisdom with the ignorant masses. Now this is a knight in shining armor.

I am a god

Nov 9, 2019 1:15 PM
May 2019
Well I'm watching anime reading manga cosplaying and using this site so I guess I'm XD

Nov 9, 2019 1:29 PM
Jul 2018
Jokah said:
xServantx said:

I'd say I'm more of a scholar sharing my wisdom with the ignorant masses. Now this is a knight in shining armor.

I felt bad for the mother and her children
Nov 9, 2019 2:01 PM
Nov 2019
when does it cross the line from not weeb to weeb??
Nov 9, 2019 2:05 PM

Feb 2010
no i just like to watch things because it keeps me from thinking
Nov 9, 2019 2:26 PM
Jul 2018
Although I'm more into fighting games now, I still like to switch it up a bit and watch anime as well. It really just comes down to whether I'm more in the mood to play or watch.
Nov 9, 2019 3:52 PM

May 2016
Definitely. For instance, I keep pretending that I am proficient in the Japanese language
Nov 9, 2019 4:53 PM

Aug 2016
Since I consider just watching anime actively making one a weeb I would consider myself a weeb xd.
Nov 9, 2019 4:54 PM

Jun 2019
I do not even like Japan a whole lot, that's a no from me dawg.

Leading biologist Scott Pitnick said:
The bigger your 'nads, the smaller your brains
Nov 10, 2019 3:10 AM

Mar 2016
I consider myself a weeb in the sense that I have willingly watched at least one anime.
But also, I call other people weebs, so that means it cancels out and I'm no longer a weeb.
"Wonder is always difficult until you forgive whoever destroyed your love of surprises"  Edmond Manning

Nov 10, 2019 4:35 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
"Weeaboo" is not a word you should want to identify with. The definition comes with some implications that I'm not down with.
I don't consider myself a weeaboo and am not too fine with others referring to me as such.

My manager asked us to design pumpkins for Halloween, so I made a very tiny Link (LoZ) pumpkin since I had planned to dress up as Link for Halloween. So this guy came in on Halloween and saw my pumpkin. He was pretty excited about it, but then he turned to me, who ended up dressing up as a Mahou Shota instead of Link (my Link cosplay was in the wash), and asked, "We're you the one who made this pumpkin?" I confirmed this. He then lit up and said, "I knew it! I knew it had to be you! It takes a weeb to know a weeb!"

I usually sound pretty friendly at work, but I dipped into "octave: sarcasm" and said, "Sure". I then didn't say another word more to him as he stood there expecting me to freak out in joy over a fellow "weeb" being in my presence. I could have said something else, but I was trying not to get fired over blowing up over this guy-- though I was working the store alone at the time so I guess I could have and just expected it to come back up another day, but why risk it? But anyway...

First off, if you're an actual weeb then I'd rather keep my distance from you. If you're dismissing cultures in favor of Japanese culture then you're dissing my culture too and that's just disrespectful. I've dealt with folks who said stuff like, "We can go to Japan so you can get away from that ghetto culture you're a part of". Like, jfc, that's so bad. So introducing yourself as a weeb even if you just mean it as alternative for "anime fan"? Heck no.

Second, there are a lot of people who come in to the shop who have anime merch-- some don't even know what anime their merch is from. If I talk to every rando who comes in trying to talk about Attack on Titan or whatever the heck else anime I don't actually give a crap about then I'd never get work done... not that there's much work to be done. I'd probably get fired for talking so much crap about their favorite anime too. Also, nothing kills your favorite holiday than having to work during the holiday festivities and being called a weeb as if it's a compliment as you stand there ringing up scantrons and you just want to friggen trick-or-treat like the grown ass 26 year old you are.

But anyway no, OP. I'm not a weeaboo. I used to be borderline, but I saved myself before going too deep and now I've explored so much more of my own culture and other cultures. There was a point where I really was not fond of myself and my background because others around me would constantly see me and my background as inferior. Because of that, I actively distanced myself from my culture. I've grown a lot though and learned so much about myself, my family, other cultures, and so on. I'm glad I was able to connect to my roots and become way more comfortable with who I am. I don't find Japan to be some magical advanced society or something, but I do still enjoy anime and such. I used to kinda think that Japan was a country that could do no wrong and so I would come up with so many excuses for Japan on nearly everything. However, now I'm at that point where I know that Japan, like most countries, is not perfect. At all. It's great to be grounded in reality and be able to actually sit there and pick things apart. You can distinguish a countries strengths from their faults instead of just thinking everything is just so great all the time.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Nov 10, 2019 5:22 AM
Jul 2018
once i crack the 100 anime mark then maybe...
Nov 10, 2019 5:43 AM
Jul 2018
@swiggy
I hear you. I appreciate many cultures including my own. My problem though is that my parents decided not to teach me about their home countries Nigeria and jamaica. Makes things difficult when a person from one of those nations recognises me as one of their own but I cannot properly communicate with them.
Nov 10, 2019 6:41 AM

Apr 2011
A weeb is one of those enthusiastic autist who always wears something anime, and has made it part of their identity. I joke that I’m a weeb, because Ive seen a lot of anime and technically qualify. I do dabble in aut, but I wouldn’t consider myself an autist.
Nov 10, 2019 6:51 AM

Mar 2019
Oh yeah, I'm a total fucking weeb. I do think Japan is objectively better than pretty much every other country I've studied. There's a difference between saying they are better and saying its a perfect utopia which I've never seen anyone do.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - 3 hours ago

7 by DesuMaiden »»
2 minutes ago

» What do you think about law enforcement (police) in your country?

Sad - Apr 16

26 by deg »»
13 minutes ago

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - 9 hours ago

7 by TibetanJazz666 »»
33 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you live with regrets?

Lightskynight - Yesterday

12 by Lightskynight »»
40 minutes ago

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - 4 hours ago

6 by LoveYourEyes »»
59 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.