Forum Settings
Forums

Anime you believe is good, but just not to your taste?

New
Nov 4, 2019 6:41 PM
Jul 2018
Just like the title says: there are plenty of anime I'm sure we all don't like, but what about anime you don't exactly like, but believe is genuinely good?

I don't exactly like Flip Flappers. In fact, I used to hate it. But then I later came to the conclusion that it's just not my kind of thing, but it's a really creative and interesting anime.

Allison to Lillia: I thought this was a nice anime, but just not enough to keep me engaged.

I don't remember why I dropped D. Gray-man, nor do I have any intent on trying to watch it again, but I remember it being really interesting.

Cowboy Bebop: oh boy, I'm going to get a lot of hate for this. Really really good anime, it's just that the overall feel doesn't appeal to me.

Death Note: again, great anime. But...I don't know...I don't like how dark it is. I don't mean by tone, I mean like, the show is literally dark: the aesthetics always seems to have these shadows over everything?

Hellsing Ultimate: it's an over-the-top, dumb fun bloody action anime, but the episodes are too long, and I wanted there to be more substance, like Black Lagoon, which is also a very style > substance anime.

Blood Blockade Battlefront: cool aesthetics, cool vibe, I remember this was entertaining, but...I'm REALLY going to get a lot of hate for this...I was distracted by the fact that even though this anime was set in New York, there was 0 racial diversity, which pissed me off.

Master Keaton: really good anime, with well developed characters and stories, but...just not entertaining enough for me.

Akagi: intense, badass, great, but due to the fact that I don't know how to play mahjong, I can't watch this anime and enjoy it to the fullest.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 4, 2019 6:42 PM

Oct 2017
I'm sure Kimetsu no Yaiba is good but I just can't get through it.
Nov 4, 2019 6:43 PM
Jul 2018
What I've seen so far of Kimetsu no Yaiba is really, really generic battle shonen but it's a goddamn beautiful looking show. I heard it gets good later, though (I'm only a few episodes in), but for now it's probably the most gorgeous and breathtaking example of "style over substance" I've seen.
Nov 4, 2019 6:44 PM
Jul 2019
Dolabella said:
I'm sure Kimetsu no Yaiba is good but I just can't get through it.
Yes it's great tbh and a lot of people especially the aot fandom bash it just because why not xD I love both though
Nov 4, 2019 6:49 PM

Jul 2019
3gatsu no Lion is definitively a great anime but wasn't able to be fully invested into it, the non stop monologue personally annoyed me a bit too.
Nov 4, 2019 6:59 PM

Oct 2019
Durarara: first season i had to struggle through the first 10 episodes before i really become interested, and then i tried season 2 but i'm really having a hard time even getting through the first couple ://
Nov 4, 2019 7:00 PM

Jul 2016
Kyoukai no Kanata. I can't say its good because i really dislike this show to a point where i cant find anything good about it, but at the same time im very aware that the vast majority find this show as a great one, so i guess it enters this category or "good show that's not your taste"
Nov 4, 2019 7:03 PM

Jul 2016
aisakafuyumi said:
Durarara: first season i had to struggle through the first 10 episodes before i really become interested, and then i tried season 2 but i'm really having a hard time even getting through the first couple ://

Yeah, i personally find Durarara as one of my favorite series, but at the same time i feel the same about the 2nd season, I personally find this season as the worst from the 4 but if you get pass it, the 3rd and 4th are great.
Nov 4, 2019 7:27 PM
Jul 2018
skijo570 said:
aisakafuyumi said:

Yeah, i personally find Durarara as one of my favorite series, but at the same time i feel the same about the 2nd season, I personally find this season as the worst from the 4 but if you get pass it, the 3rd and 4th are great.

I don't understand: I remember Durarara season 2 was very similar in tone and overall feel as season 1, but more chaotic. Why do some people not like season 2 as much?
Nov 4, 2019 7:30 PM

Aug 2007
Not 100% sure of what fits this criteria for me, but I guess one that gets the closest is Boogiepop Phantom. I know it's a classic but that kind of paranormal theming just didn't do anything for me. You mention Blood Blockade Battlefront, I'd totally forgotten about that one. Funny enough I kinda feel the same way regarding the aesthetics but do not feel that it's very good at all lol. Solid, likable characters though. Perhaps another one just not to my taste.
Nov 4, 2019 7:34 PM

Aug 2009
D.Gray-man. I respect it for being similar shounen adventure in the same vein as Fullmetal Alchemist, but I'm not willing to watch an 103 episode long shounen adventure that's in the same vein as something that I've already watched twice.

Nov 4, 2019 7:35 PM
May 2018
Evangelion
Gurren Lagaan
Kill la kill
3-gatsu no lion
Chihayafuru
Mushishi etc.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 4, 2019 7:37 PM

Feb 2019
The first thing that comes to mind is Kill la Kill tbh. There were some things I liked about it, but overall it was just too high-energy and fast-paced for me to really enjoy. The animation wasn't bad necessarily, but the jerky character movements and repetitive jump cuts were distracting. Watching it almost felt like........getting a head rush after standing up too fast: dizzying at first, then foggy as everything melds together and you start to black out.
When you stand at the cliff's edge, staring into the darkness below, the most horrifying realization is not that you might slip, but that you could leap.
Jul 2018
All of these I was hyped for and I really really wanted to like, if you like them I envy you.
(Yes I have trash taste, don't @ me)

Code Geass: Too many stupid characters
Deathnote: Second half ruined it for me
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Made it to ep 20, was just ok but I always felt I'd rather watch something else
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Guess rakugo isn't for me
Gintama: dropped at ep 80, I dropped it 3/4 times, was too inconsistent for me
Mushishi: bit too episodic, only 1 reoccurring character, repetitive
Pingpong: not sure why everyone loves it

Honerable mentions: Hellsing ultimate, no game no life

Oct 2019
Took me so long to get through Hyouka.
Nov 4, 2019 7:47 PM

Jul 2016
RealTheAbsurdist said:
skijo570 said:

I don't understand: I remember Durarara season 2 was very similar in tone and overall feel as season 1, but more chaotic. Why do some people not like season 2 as much?

Idk if its because its a different studio or just the arc in general but it feels exactly how you're describing it. "more chaotic", but not in a good way. This series forte is its storytelling and how it used its unconventional way of telling the story moving between the different charapters to learn slowly about the story. My mmain issue with this season in particular is that it feels way too over the place and sometimes rushed. They use the same method of storytelling that the rest of the seasons, but in this season i feel they add way to many new characters and they move way to fast between them, to a point where some of them you just forget about them until later on or learn close to nothing about them until the end.

Haven't read the original source to know if its the same way there and if they actually explain more and develop those characters, but out of the 4 seasons, this is my least favorite because of this.
Nov 4, 2019 7:48 PM
Jul 2018
FacelessVixen said:
D.Gray-man. I respect it for being similar shounen adventure in the same vein as Fullmetal Alchemist, but I'm not willing to watch an 103 episode long shounen adventure that's in the same vein as something that I've already watched twice.

I recall years ago, when I was watching a couple of episodes of D. Gray Man, that it was nothing like FMAB: D. Gray Man is a lot more gothic horror, I think?

Jese23 said:
All of these I was hyped for and I really really wanted to like, if you like them I envy you.

Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Made it to ep 20, was just ok but I always felt I'd rather watch something else

When you said not to tag you, did you mean not to tag you to trash on your taste? Because I don't think there's such thing as bad taste.
Based on your view on Death Note and Code Geass, it sounds as though from your point of view, you believe these are bad anime. Which is a perfectly fine viewpoint, but I don't think it fits with the idea of an anime you believe is good, but just not for you.

skijo570 said:
RealTheAbsurdist said:

Idk if its because its a different studio or just the arc in general but it feels exactly how you're describing it. "more chaotic", but not in a good way. This series forte is its storytelling and how it used its unconventional way of telling the story moving between the different charapters to learn slowly about the story. My mmain issue with this season in particular is that it feels way too over the place and sometimes rushed. They use the same method of storytelling that the rest of the seasons, but in this season i feel they add way to many new characters and they move way to fast between them, to a point where some of them you just forget about them until later on or learn close to nothing about them until the end.

Haven't read the original source to know if its the same way there and if they actually explain more and develop those characters, but out of the 4 seasons, this is my least favorite because of this.

Huh. I remember when I watched season 2 years ago, I was able to keep track of everything. Nothing felt too chaotic for me. Then again, I don't have a very critical mindset when it comes to viewing anime. I focus a lot more on the overall vibe and feel of an anime. But now I think I have a more critical mindset for pacing.
Nov 4, 2019 7:51 PM
Jul 2018
RealTheAbsurdist said:

When you said not to tag you, did you mean not to tag you to trash on your taste? Because I don't think there's such thing as bad taste.
Based on your view on Death Note and Code Geass, it sounds as though from your point of view, you believe these are bad anime. Which is a perfectly fine viewpoint, but I don't think it fits with the idea of an anime you believe is good, but just not for you.

I believe these are good shows, just not for me
Nov 4, 2019 7:51 PM

Sep 2011
Lots of Mecha! Gurren Lagann included! Like yes, they're good! Some classics like Gundam as well but I just don't do the whole fighting robots things. It's just not my style but go off if it is!
Nov 4, 2019 7:52 PM
Jul 2018
RealTheAbsurdist said:
Cowboy Bebop: oh boy, I'm going to get a lot of hate for this. Really really good anime, it's just that the overall feel doesn't appeal to me.
Death Note: again, great anime. But...I don't know...I don't like how dark it is. I don't mean by tone, I mean like, the show is literally dark: the aesthetics always seems to have these shadows over everything?

Glad I'm not the only one when it comes to this. I gave Cowboy Bebop a 10/10, but I personally didn't resonate with it as much as other shows. Heck, as much as I love the noteworthy jazz music, I only remember like 4 tracks in the show (including the OP and the ED). It's probably because I'm not into space stuff I guess.

As for Death Note, the story, premise and characters were alright. But the art style wasn't eye catching for me. Also, Light was meh.

Another good example of this is the Monogatari series. I find the story, characters, animation and music intriguing. The reason why it was hard for me to enjoy it was because of the endless amount of Japanese text appearing in every single minute, which made it hard for me to keep track on what is going on. But that's just me though.
Nov 4, 2019 7:54 PM
Jul 2018
TheKawaiiToon said:
RealTheAbsurdist said:

Glad I'm not the only one when it comes to this. I gave Cowboy Bebop a 10/10, but I personally didn't resonate with it as much as other shows. Heck, as much as I love the noteworthy jazz music, I only remember like 4 tracks in the show (including the OP and the ED). It's probably because I'm not into space stuff I guess.

As for Death Note, the story, premise and characters were alright. But the art style wasn't eye catching for me. Also, Light was meh.

Another good example of this is the Monogatari series. I find the story, characters, animation and music intriguing. The reason why it was hard for me to enjoy it was because of the endless amount of Japanese text appearing in every single minute, which made it hard for me to keep track on what is going on. But that's just me though.

Yeah, I think from your point of view, something like Monogatari can feel more like reading a book than watching an anime.
Nov 4, 2019 7:59 PM
🥚

Feb 2016
Rurouni Kenshin (although the animation can be a bit eh) just isn't really my thing however i do think it was made pretty well.
Same with Vinland Saga, Lucky Star, Mawaru Penguindrum, Natsume Yuujinchou, and Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso. I think they're all done well, just didn't really enjoy them much.

"If you want to change the future, you only need to choose now. Now, believe in yourself and break the egg."

🌻

Anime|Manga|Last.fm|Letterboxd
Nov 4, 2019 8:01 PM

Aug 2009
RealTheAbsurdist said:
FacelessVixen said:

I recall years ago, when I was watching a couple of episodes of D. Gray Man, that it was nothing like FMAB: D. Gray Man is a lot more gothic horror, I think?

Well, me comparing D.Gray-man to the original FMA to be more specific, but still. In terms of setting, yeah, there is that difference. But Allen Walker to me just seemed like another Edward Elric give or take a few miinor details; kinda like how Eureka from Eureka Seven is basically Rei Ayanami at first glance.

Jul 2018
Itsukil said:
Rurouni Kenshin (although the animation can be a bit eh) just isn't really my thing however i do think it was made pretty well.
Same with Vinland Saga, Lucky Star, Mawaru Penguindrum, Natsume Yuujinchou, and Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso. I think they're all done well, just didn't really enjoy them much.

I'm surprised you didn't enjoy Vinland Saga. I think it's one of the best anime to come out this decade, aside from maybe the awkward animation at times. Why wasn't it to your taste?

Jul 2016
skijo570 said:
RealTheAbsurdist said:

Huh. I remember when I watched season 2 years ago, I was able to keep track of everything. Nothing felt too chaotic for me. Then again, I don't have a very critical mindset when it comes to viewing anime. I focus a lot more on the overall vibe and feel of an anime. But now I think I have a more critical mindset for pacing.[/quote]

Dont get me wrong, i still enjoy it and i was able to follow it, but at the same time from the 4 seasons this is my least favorite, Was probably the only one where i lost interest for a while and took a break to finish it. Overall its a good season, just not at the level of the other ones from my point of view.

EDIT: just noticed i fail the quoute but idk where so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nov 4, 2019 8:08 PM

Jul 2016
Jese23 said:

Why did you feel gintama was inconsistent? haven't watch past ep 10 yet so just out of curiosity.

Side note: is your signature from aria the animation? i just started this show 2 days ago, kind of surpriced if it is since i haven't see or hear about this show from anyone, if it is this is the first time i see someone with anything aria related
Nov 4, 2019 8:09 PM

Oct 2013
3-gatsu no Lion is that show for me. I can admit it's not a bad anime,and I really enjoy watching Rei and his struggles through life, but the random cutesy comedy bits aren't for me. I seriously feel like those moments cheapen the show, but hey that's just me.
Nov 4, 2019 8:09 PM
🥚

Feb 2016
RealTheAbsurdist said:
Itsukil said:

I'm surprised you didn't enjoy Vinland Saga. I think it's one of the best anime to come out this decade, aside from maybe the awkward animation at times. Why wasn't it to your taste?

I've never really like anything that has to do with Vikings or any of that part of history. That's really it. I only really started it because I saw so many other people like it.

"If you want to change the future, you only need to choose now. Now, believe in yourself and break the egg."

🌻

Anime|Manga|Last.fm|Letterboxd
Nov 4, 2019 8:14 PM
Jul 2018
skijo570 said:
RealTheAbsurdist said:

To give out context, Durarara is based on a light novel which can have many differences from the anime such as having more time to explain what is happening. Because anime can have a very limited amount of time to adapt something from a light novel, it is no surprise that some characters will not have enough development and that some parts feel rushed. I mean, look what happened to To Aru 3 for example. It had a similar problems, but at least Durarara x2 did it a bit better as it had 39 episodes (if you count the OVA's) as opposed to To Aru 3 with only 26.
Even though I consider myself as a huge fan of Durarara, I can totally agree that the show can be convoluted at times with the countless amount of characters.

RealTheAbsurdist said:
FacelessVixen said:

D Gray Man is kind of a gothic horror. But not really in the levels of Black Butler or even Soul Eater. Also, the amount of episodes to watch D Gray Man isn't really bad. The only reason why it has 116 episodes (if you count Hollow) is because it has fillers. But if you don't watch the fillers, then the amount of episodes to watch is alright. As for the fact that D Gray Man gets better. I think it gets less better (but not too bad) when you reach Hollow because the characters shall I say, become less interesting than they were in the first series.

RealTheAbsurdist said:

Blood Blockade Battlefront: cool aesthetics, cool vibe, I remember this was entertaining, but...I'm REALLY going to get a lot of hate for this...I was distracted by the fact that even though this anime was set in New York, there was 0 racial diversity, which pissed me off.

Less diversity? I don't really remember that much but I'm pretty sure there was a Latino and an Asian in the series. And heck, one of the MC's was black (I think). Also, I'm pretty sure having a variety of aliens is diverse enough for Hellsalem's Lot.
Nov 4, 2019 8:17 PM
Jul 2018
skijo570 said:

Why did you feel gintama was inconsistent? haven't watch past ep 10 yet so just out of curiosity.

Side note: is your signature from aria the animation? i just started this show 2 days ago, kind of surpriced if it is since i haven't see or hear about this show from anyone, if it is this is the first time i see someone with anything aria related

Gintama : The humour was inconsistent for me but humour is highly subjective. The "serious arcs" are great, but the rest feel like filler to me. I think most people say they got hooked around ep 60 (first serious arc).

Yes from aria. Be patient with it, it's a true gem.
Nov 4, 2019 8:20 PM

Jul 2016
Jese23 said:
skijo570 said:

Gintama : The humour was inconsistent for me but humour is highly subjective. The "serious arcs" are great, but the rest feel like filler to me. I think most people say they got hooked around ep 60 (first serious arc).

Yes from aria. Be patient with it, it's a true gem.

Good to know about Ginatama, will keep that in mind, and yeah, really enjoying Aria so far.
Nov 4, 2019 8:23 PM

Jun 2019
Keep in mind that these are anime I either dropped after one or two episodes or ones I completed and rated, but would have given a higher rating if they didn't have aspects which I massively dislike and consider very subjectively negative on a personal level, but not actually taking away from their artistic quality (like poor animation, poor writing, poor or spotty to absent soundtrack, etc.)

Neon Genesis Evangelion - I'm glad I watched it, both because there was enough there in the overall story to keep me invested and because it's such an anime legacy and cultural touchstone, but I doubt I'll ever have a desire to watch it again. I really just can't stand main characters that are so self-loathing basket cases to the point where it becomes the show's focus. Yes, it's a real life problem and can be representative of many actual people and psychological states in the world. I don't doubt this would strike a chord with people who've suffered and endured or overcome depression.

But I'm just a little too tired of neurotic people with zero self esteem who look to everyone else to give worth to their own existence. Both in fiction and in real life. So when the show revolves around these type of people it just becomes too tedious and infuriating to watch after a while. It doesn't make it bad as if it did anything wrong, but I just can't stand watching plots and problems focused on this type of person and mentality without rolling my eyes.

I obviously don't have to agree with all or any of a character's actions on-screen to love the show, but it's just a bridge too far when it spends so much time reveling in these doormat MCs and neurotic complexes and loses the plot. A great story for someone, but not for me. Still a landmark achievement, but ugh...

3-Gatsu no Lion - Once again, another depressed MC. I dropped this one early on although I'll consider going back to it some time in the distant future after I've exhausted other PTW list entries. Even if I complete it, I doubt I'll love it. I do love the animation and art style. And the SoL feel in certain scenes is nice and reminds me of Usagi Drop (both in its art style and the Coming of Age theme too), but at least the first season seems like it gets derailed too often with comedy I don't care for and I just feel blood pressure rising whenever a depressed MC is supposed to be the audience cypher.

I'm not trying to insult those with depression. I'm sure I have other problems according to most, but depression isn't one of them, and I just don't feel I can ever put aside my annoyance with this clinical and personality type to actually appreciate the other (probably) good parts of the show, when they seem to want most of audience to self-insert and live vicariously through MC.

I just want to scream "Goddamn it, you don't have to bow 15x backwards in shame and hate yourself every time someone asks you a question". I don't care about such stuff until it comes to dominate the plot.

Cowboy Bebop as well for me isn't the type of show I'm really looking for in anime. The animation is some of the best in anime and they put together one of the most stand out soundtracks that really differentiated it from other anime just by virtue alone of being Western-style contemporary, but I don't like episodic series nearly as much as I find its formula gets repetitive quickly when watching in large doses and the characters do not get really impressive development. Events just happen and I don't feel there is ever sufficient build-up or payoff to have any real reason to care. It's more like an American cartoon. Impressive in music and animation but hollow in too many other areas.

I also feel that way about Black Lagoon to an extent, but I'd say I prefer the first season of Black Lagoon to Cowboy Bebop just because it seems to make you get in there and "feel" its characters more. Cowboy Bebop > Black Lagoon season 2 though.

Hellsing is something I can just tell by reading the way it's described in reviews will not be something I like. I'm left feeling like I've just been conned when I watch these big flashy spectacle over substantive content and writing and details that actually make sense type shows. That's a little of how I felt about Black Lagoon S2 and its OVA.

A lot of Makoto Shinkai films - I mean, they're incredibly well-made from a production standpoint, which is why I've rated them 6s, 7s, even 8s, but I feel they're made for people who can be blown away by phenomenal glossy and innovative animation and the ambition of a plot without actual followed through in detailed writing and careful character development, which is more what I come for. They just come across to me as beautiful but a bit empty.

I won't consider these "bad" if trying to look objectively because they're still stellar in a few of their aspects, but lacking in others to me.

Made in Abyss - Animation of backgrounds, creature designs, etc. is gorgeous, it seems like such a lavish production and was loved and hailed as best of the season or whole year by so many, but I really didn't care for either the pacing or the constant derailment of plot by its weird sex themes

There's definitely a few more, but those are the main ones, and for some, because of the infinite objectivity vs. subjectivity debate, it's harder to separate what I feel I dislike because of more deeply personal idiosyncratic preferences and what I think the anime actually does poorly. Those above are all well made and I don't see the problems I see in them being a big deal for a lot of others, perhaps the majority, but I'll never be a big fan for those reasons.

WatchTillTandavaNov 4, 2019 8:28 PM
Nov 4, 2019 8:27 PM

Jul 2016
TheKawaiiToon said:
skijo570 said:

To give out context, Durarara is based on a light novel which can have many differences from the anime such as having more time to explain what is happening. Because anime can have a very limited amount of time to adapt something from a light novel, it is no surprise that some characters will not have enough development and that some parts feel rushed. I mean, look what happened to To Aru 3 for example. It had a similar problems, but at least Durarara x2 did it a bit better as it had 39 episodes (if you count the OVA's) as opposed to To Aru 3 with only 26.
Even though I consider myself as a huge fan of Durarara, I can totally agree that the show can be convoluted at times with the countless amount of characters

Yeah, kind of figured that, wasn't sure if it was a LN or Manga but makes sense that they had to cut stuff out. But i dont think i can compared this season of DRRR with To Aru 3 tbh, for me that haven't read the LN it felt like a glorified fanservice for LN readers to a point some parts of it made 0 sense and i just had to guess why some stuff was happening.
Nov 4, 2019 8:29 PM

Oct 2018
Ping pong the animation. I understand how experimental and unique it is but I personally can’t get hooked on it. So many people seem to think lower of someone who doesn’t like Ping Pong the animation, but I’m not gonna watch something I’m not enjoying.

Nov 4, 2019 8:29 PM
Jul 2018
TheKawaiiToon said:
skijo570 said:

Even though I consider myself as a huge fan of Durarara, I can totally agree that the show can be convoluted at times with the countless amount of characters.

RealTheAbsurdist said:

D Gray Man is kind of a gothic horror. But not really in the levels of Black Butler or even Soul Eater. Also, the amount of episodes to watch D Gray Man isn't really bad. The only reason why it has 116 episodes (if you count Hollow) is because it has fillers. But if you don't watch the fillers, then the amount of episodes to watch is alright. As for the fact that D Gray Man gets better. I think it gets less better (but not too bad) when you reach Hollow because the characters shall I say, become less interesting than they were in the first series.

RealTheAbsurdist said:

Less diversity? I don't really remember that much but I'm pretty sure there was a Latino and an Asian in the series. And heck, one of the MC's was black (I think). Also, I'm pretty sure having a variety of aliens is diverse enough for Hellsalem's Lot.

I meant like, the background characters were all white.
Nov 4, 2019 8:32 PM

Oct 2019
series like samurai champloo, for sure.. it was dripping in personality & charm (the animation? soundtrack? amazing) but couldn't really engage with it. i watched it, and then it was over

haibane renmei is ... probably good. it's been years, and i've rewatched it twice, but i still can't summon a single thought to describe the experience (to people that did enjoy it: what was it? what did you take away from it?)

walking out of something realizing it was good but not having enjoyed it leaves you feeling so hollow
Nov 4, 2019 8:42 PM

Oct 2019
I agree with the Cowboy Bebop, Death Note, Gurren Lagann, and Demon Slayer sentiments.

I'd also add Steins;Gate to my list. It gets so much hype and I'm sure it's wonderful, but it's just not my scene. I didn't gravitate towards any of the characters and the plot wasn't carrying the show for me personally, so I dropped it.

I felt the same way about Seven Deadly Sins and Fate/Zero (except I do love Saber). They should be more up my alley, but they just don't do it for me.
Have you done your punches of gratitude today?
Nov 4, 2019 8:42 PM

Dec 2017
Violet Evergarden
Steins Gate
Angel Beats
Magical Index
Yuru Camp

They appeal to so many people yet nothing strikes me anything special about them.
Nov 4, 2019 8:56 PM
Mar 2018
The only one I kinda guess I feel this way about this I guess would be Bakemonogatari. The visual design, colors, & character designs are all fantastic. But actually trying to watch the show itself proves to be fairly boring, since most scenes are just standing in place & talking with very minimal movement going on.

Other than that, I really don't feel this way about any other anime. Even the "good" anime that I either dislike or outright hate, I don't find good.

EDIT: Since I was dead tired & about to fall asleep when I was writing this. I forgot about The Tatami Galaxy, I wouldn't say I dislike that series, I just don't like it as much as my friends do. I respect that series a lot for its comedy & style. But actually trying to watch Tatami is a chore because of how fast the series moves, & because of how fast the characters talk.
unimportantuserNov 5, 2019 7:00 AM
Nov 4, 2019 9:01 PM
Jul 2018
TheKawaiiToon said:
RealTheAbsurdist said:

To add more stuff to my quote, there are other anime I think are good, but not for my taste.

Attack on Titan: I thought storytelling, characters, music and animation is amazing. But the endless amount of hype that the show had back then made me like the series less and now I still can't really get back into it. Also, dystopian type stories (yes, I kinda consider AOT dystopian-ish) are not really my cup of tea.

Every popular anime film I've seen (including Ghibli, Hosoda and Shinkai films): no really. Yes, I know the story and animation is great (I've even rated some of them 10/10). But for some reason, I never really got into the hype from these movies. Probably since I never really grew up watching anime and I was a bit too late to join in the hype train. Also, never really connected with most of the characters in the films.

The big 3 shonen and also Sailor Moon: similar thoughts I have with the anime films.
Nov 4, 2019 9:28 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
The Prétear anime is genuinely very nice, but I'm not as fond with it as I was with the original manga.

I dunno, I recognize its good qualities but I do get a bit confused/surprised when I see people preferring the anime over the manga. There's just something about the manga I like a bit more—is it because it feels a lot more closer to its Snow White theme? Is it because it actually gets a bit darker and handles the serious parts more seriously than in the anime? Is it because Himeno's depressive thoughts hit closer to home in the manga than its portrayal in the anime?
I have no idea, but that's just how it is for me
Nov 4, 2019 9:43 PM

Oct 2017
Anohana .
I can't say it's good but i didn't like it . I gave it
5 / 10 . And i always think that its because of my taste and also because of forced drama or maybe i felt it was forced.
( i don't really like romance anime unless it feels unique to me )
And btw Why tf anohana doesn't have romance tag 😒. Isn't anohana a romance anime also.
Nov 4, 2019 9:54 PM

Feb 2014
Mobile Suit Gundam 00. I've heard a lot of good things about it, also seen a few episodes, but i can't bring myself to finish the show because I'm just not into mechas all that much.
Nov 4, 2019 9:55 PM
May 2016
It's gonna be My Hero Academia, Fairytale, One piece and Fullmetal Alchemist for me. It's just too hard for me to try hopping onto it, idk why
Nov 5, 2019 3:06 AM

May 2018
I guess some of them are:

3-gatsu no Lion
Bakuman
Canaan
Chihayafuru
Code Geass
Ergo Proxy
Hai to Gensou no Grimgar
IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix
Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon
Koukyoushihen Eureka Seven
Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau
Last Exile
Mawaru Penguindrum
Neon Genesis Evangelion
No Game No Life
Osomatsu-san
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Ranma ½
Senkou no Night Raid
Shingeki no Kyojin
Sidonia no Kishi
Sword Art Online (only production wise)
Zipang

I kind of understand why people love them.
At least their production values are good...
But there are some unlikeable themes for me, or the way how those titles fight for my attention and try to manipulate me psychologically, or some shallow interpretation of serious stuff, or some overdramatizing/overexposing of unimportant stuff or just plain old bad writing...
alshuNov 6, 2019 2:17 AM
Nov 5, 2019 3:17 AM
Jul 2018
Kimetsu no yaiba. It has good animation and all but the plot is too simple for me and that's why I dropped it.
Nov 5, 2019 3:29 AM
Sep 2018
Food Wars. I like it, it just isn't for me
Nov 5, 2019 3:31 AM

Nov 2017
I agree with everything everyone has said here.

plz @ me
Nov 5, 2019 3:52 AM
Oct 2017
If I don't like it, it isn't good for me. If the question was rather "anime you don't like but can understand that a lot of other people would like", then some of my picks would be - noragami, gurren lagann, cowboy bebop, samurai champloo, higurashi and shigatsu.
Nov 5, 2019 4:31 AM

Oct 2008
I think "Boku no hero academia" is good. But its just buttugly as hell.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 8 hours ago

38 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
29 seconds ago

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 7 hours ago

17 by BirdyTheMighty »»
3 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

102 by FFandMMfan »»
7 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - Yesterday

40 by Nurguburu »»
10 minutes ago

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 8 hours ago

16 by Horizon248 »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.