Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

What constitutes as a spoiler regarding Canute for this historical fiction series?

Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 3, 2019 10:30 AM

Mar 2012
So last week, a mod put a spoiler tag on a comment I made about Canute coming out of his shell. Something that is referenced in the second OP and frankly a foregone conclusion unless you are completely ignorant of history during that time.

The way I see it, that's not a spoiler at all where we already know what happens to Canute even if not the details of how the events within Vinland Saga gets there. Even Thorfinn's eventual fate isn't a spoiler unless again you're completely clueless on general history. On the flip side, I see anything regarding Askeladd as a spoiler because his fate as presented in the story doesn't reflect history at all.

So I am asking what constitutes as spoiler regarding Canute since we already knows what happens to him? I think specific details would be spoilers but not say "yeah, he grows balls" which should be obvious to even the most daft viewer.
MetaKiteNov 3, 2019 1:32 PM
Nov 3, 2019 1:23 PM

Mar 2014
Revealing a characters "eventual fate" is a spoiler, even if it's based on actual history, because you cannot assume that everyone knows much about this piece of history. What is considered "general history" is not the same across the world and depends on what you are taught in school (which for a lot of countries is probably extremely basic stuff about Vikings). Also, even if people don't know much about this piece of history, looking it up means spoiling yourself for this series so don't expect a lot of people to do that.

Apart from knowing that Thorfinn is based on an actual historical figure I know nothing about his place in history (guess that makes me clueless?), and while I can only speak for myself I think not a lot of people know much about the real Thorfinn, so revealing stuff like his (or any other character's) death is a spoiler.

Stating that Canute "changes" is something I would not consider a spoiler because that is shown in the OP I guess (that OP is too spoilery). Further details about his development and actions is something I would spoiler tag.
LauraBirdieNov 4, 2019 12:54 PM
Nov 3, 2019 1:43 PM

Mar 2012
LauraBirdie said:
Revealing a characters "eventual fate" is a spoiler, even if it's based on actual history, because you cannot assume that everyone knows much about this piece of history. What is considered "general history" is not the same across the world and depends on what you are taught in school (which for a lot of countries is probably extremely basic stuff about Vikings). Also, even if people don't know much about this piece of history, looking it up means spoiling yourself for this series so don't expect a lot of people to do that.

Apart from knowing that Thorfinn is based on an actual historical figure I know nothing about his place in history (guess that makes me clueless?), and while I can only speak for myself I think not a lot of people know much about the real Thorfinn, so revealing stuff like his death is a spoiler.

Stating that Canute "changes" is something I would not consider a spoiler because that is shown in the OP I guess (that OP is too spoilery). Further details about his development and actions is something I would spoiler tag.
Thank you for your perspective. I am saying that details of actions taken by the characters would be spoilers but I didn't think the general ending for a couple characters would be. I also agree that what happens with Canute isn't a spoiler because of the OP.

I guess I didn't look at it from non-English speaking countries POV. I will say that I am taken aback that people don't know where "Vinland" is and knowing where it actually is was not something I considered spoiler. I guess those people can learn something from this anime then.
MetaKiteNov 3, 2019 2:47 PM
Nov 3, 2019 2:46 PM

Feb 2017
In my opinion, treating real world history as a spoiler makes no sense. Enjoyment of historical stories shouldn't depend on whether you know about the events or not. I watched bunch of historical movies and read bunch of historical novels about things I already knew about and it didn't hamper my enjoyment at all. On the contrary, I think knowing real history behind it made me appreciate the works so much more. And it's the same with Vinalnd.

Though I know I am in minority, so I try to spoiler warn whenever I want talk about real history.

As for your question about Canute, I don't really know. I guess just pretend you don't know anything past the point the anime is at to be safe. I personally wouldn't consider what you said as a spoiler since it's in the OP. Announcement video for the anime from the last year also features serious Canute.
Nov 3, 2019 3:06 PM

Mar 2012
Tsarko said:
In my opinion, treating real world history as a spoiler makes no sense. Enjoyment of historical stories shouldn't depend on whether you know about the events or not. I watched bunch of historical movies and read bunch of historical novels about things I already knew about and it didn't hamper my enjoyment at all. On the contrary, I think knowing real history behind it made me appreciate the works so much more. And it's the same with Vinalnd.

Though I know I am in minority, so I try to spoiler warn whenever I want talk about real history.

Count me in that minority but this does seem to be more of a case of educational systems just not covering certain things. Still, with Canute, the only thing regarding him that matters was shown ion the OP and other promotional materials.
As for your question about Canute, I don't really know. I guess just pretend you don't know anything past the point the anime is at to be safe. I personally wouldn't consider what you said as a spoiler since it's in the OP. Announcement video for the anime from the last year also features serious Canute.
See that's one reason I don't think it's a spoiler. Even if you don't know the details or even who he is, from what's been shown so far, I think it's obvious he's going to step up. Now saying how or what happens specifically is a spoiler IMO.
Nov 8, 2019 1:21 PM

Jul 2015
not everyone is from europe or a history expert. so it might be a spoiler

Nov 11, 2019 5:09 AM
Apr 2017
I get spoiled and I still watch the whole thing because this ain't no fucking history lesson.
Nov 24, 2019 2:21 PM

Mar 2012
ErCaesar said:
I get spoiled and I still watch the whole thing because this ain't no fucking history lesson.
so you agree none of this is a spoiler.

At least now, no more ridiculous moderating of posts for "spoiling Canute".

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

392 by ecklonia »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

792 by skywizard »»
Mar 29, 2:07 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

407 by xyara_girl »»
Mar 23, 12:30 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.