Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 3, 2019 7:29 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Cool to see some more action on the snowy battlefield. Thorfinn's fighting style looked so smooth. My favorite part is when he kicked that guy off his horse after pulling off such a daring risk.

I'm not surprised by the usual aftermath of the battles with the bloodshed. They're trying to keep this as real as possible. I love how Thorkell reacts in all this war drama without breaking a sweat. His strength is also amazing.
Nov 3, 2019 7:41 AM

Jul 2016
Thorfinn running over the soldiers reminded me of myself when I run over people on GTA.

Great episode, more action and more Thorkell this time. Askeladd could have been killed but apparently Thorfinn wants to be the one who kills him. I don't know whether Askeladd should be happy or not, but I liked that scene.

The next episode might be one of the greatest of this season, I'm looking forward to it!

Overall, 5/5
Nov 3, 2019 8:40 AM

Jan 2019
Oh, yeah we hype next episode.
Absolutely great episode, Askechadd backstory and his confession, and Thorfinn vs Thorkell Round 2.
It's all coming togther.
Nov 3, 2019 8:52 AM

Jul 2015
I almost sympathized with Askeladd but I have to remember that I want that bastard killed!
When he cut that one dude in half I almost thought he had an ace up his sleeve, but Askeladd vs. Thorkell, I guess Thorkell wins 100 times over. At least I'd like to assume Askeladd is smarter than Thorkell. Dammit!! If Thorfinn loses then does that mean Askeladd lives a little bit longer?? Someone kill this man please, I don't care if it's a random soldier and Thorfinn is scarred for the rest of his life!.... ok maybe like 5 years, at least he'd go back to his loving family THE END
irondark30Nov 3, 2019 9:00 AM
Nov 3, 2019 8:53 AM

Feb 2018
What a bonkers episode. Some of these characters are straight-up superhuman. Sucks we have to wait two weeks for Thorkell-Thorfinn II. That one is going to be insane.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Nov 3, 2019 9:07 AM
May 2018
Honestly, manga was 300 times better, the animation and the censorship were pretty bad. Overall was a good episode and some parts were delivered pretty well.
Nov 3, 2019 9:10 AM

May 2015
yep the manga is 100 times better,this episode should have been one of the best in art and animation,it was pretty bad,there are some more important episodes later than this if they'll fuck up those i will give this a 7 at the end,it could have been an 8,i'll wait for the BDs i hope they improve everything.
nanashi796Nov 3, 2019 9:51 AM
Nov 3, 2019 9:18 AM
Aug 2019
Still a good episode, but the animation was damn disappointing. ( I know. Animation isn’t everything, but those 3 chapters in the manga were fucking Amazing) I really hoped that Askeladd’s fight would be one of the best animated this season, especially since we are close to the end. ( And what the hell was that axe throw from Askeladd. They censor that but, show the horse get it’s head chopped off. What sense does that make?) I guess they are saving everything for Thorkell vs Thorfinn. I was really hyped for that mind break scene, but I guess they wanted to make it realistic. Which really defeats the purpose of that scene and was terribly done. The only thing I thought was done well this episode was the “Horse punch”. I don’t know, maybe I’m just being a big manga cry baby. But damn, this was a massive disappointment for me. This is really starting to feel like a “Side project” for WIT Studio’s. For anyone wondering this episode covered chapters chapters 33-35. If you like manga, go read that instead.
EchoAnEternityNov 3, 2019 9:22 AM
Nov 3, 2019 9:20 AM
Nov 2015
EchoAnEternity said:
Still a good episode, but the animation was damn disappointing. ( I know. Animation isn’t everything, but those 3 chapters in the manga were fucking Amazing) I really hoped that Askeladd’s fight would be one of the best animated this season, especially since we are close to the end of the season. But, I guess they are saving everything for Thorkell vs Thorfinn. I was really hyped for that mind break scene, but I guess they wanted to make it realistic. Which really defeats the purpose of that scene and was terribly done. The only thing I thought was done well this episode was the “Horse punch”. I don’t know, maybe I’m just being a big manga cry baby. But damn, this was a massive disappointment for me. This is really starting to feel like a “Side project” for WIT Studio’s. For anyone wondering this episode covered chapters chapters 33-35. If you like manga, go read that instead.

Yeah, they nerfed the fuck out of demon Thorkell, that scene was lame. I had also hoped Askeladds fight scenes would look better. The direction in this episode was dissapointing.
Nov 3, 2019 9:27 AM

Jan 2019
Simeon_99 said:
EchoAnEternity said:
Still a good episode, but the animation was damn disappointing. ( I know. Animation isn’t everything, but those 3 chapters in the manga were fucking Amazing) I really hoped that Askeladd’s fight would be one of the best animated this season, especially since we are close to the end of the season. But, I guess they are saving everything for Thorkell vs Thorfinn. I was really hyped for that mind break scene, but I guess they wanted to make it realistic. Which really defeats the purpose of that scene and was terribly done. The only thing I thought was done well this episode was the “Horse punch”. I don’t know, maybe I’m just being a big manga cry baby. But damn, this was a massive disappointment for me. This is really starting to feel like a “Side project” for WIT Studio’s. For anyone wondering this episode covered chapters chapters 33-35. If you like manga, go read that instead.

Yeah, they nerfed the fuck out of demon Thorkell, that scene was lame. I had also hoped Askeladds fight scenes would look better. The direction in this episode was dissapointing.

Look, I’ll admit. The animation was disappointing, I might lower my score if they mess up future important moments. Well, not all of it was, but we are reaching the peak of the show here. Come on WIT.
It does feel like a side project now, I can forgive WIT here, but that’s the last forgiveness I’ll give.
Nov 3, 2019 9:30 AM
Aug 2019
Simeon_99 said:
EchoAnEternity said:

Yeah bro, I really thought they were going all out again this episode. Especially, since they uploaded how the first fight of Thorkell vs Thorfinn was made the week leading up to this. I thought that was a hint that same animator would be working on this episode. Even the preview came out late, so I thought they were trying keep it under wraps. Trying to not show to much, but... I don’t know. Like I said Disappointed.
Nov 3, 2019 9:30 AM

May 2019
I expected a lot more from this episode, the last few episodes made me feel like WIT just doesn't care that much about Vinland Saga, they picked it up because it was acclaimed and now that it doesn't get the numbers SnK does, they just half ass it.
Nov 3, 2019 9:31 AM
Mar 2019
Cycli said:
Honestly, manga was 300 times better, the animation and the censorship were pretty bad. Overall was a good episode and some parts were delivered pretty well.
I was actually excited for the moment when torgrim loses his mind but I was disappointed , the manga did it 100 times better .. otherwise good episode
Nov 3, 2019 9:34 AM
Mar 2019
Good episode but the manga was 100 times better , I was actually excited for the moment when torgrim loses his mind seeing the terrifying thorkell but I was disappointed ... It was a legendary moment in the manga ..but the anime half-assed it ... hope they improve the animation in the next episode
Nov 3, 2019 9:36 AM
Aug 2019
Elucid said:
Simeon_99 said:

Look, I’ll admit. The animation was disappointing, I might lower my score if they mess up future important moments. Well, not all of it was, but we are reaching the peak of the show here. Come on WIT.
It does feel like a side project now, I can forgive WIT here, but that’s the last forgiveness I’ll give.

Same, if they fuck up Thorkell vs Thorfinn I’m done. I’ve been telling people to stick around for this very moment and this is just so sad. Maybe, I expected too much from WIT. I’ve been ignoring the decent animation especially, in EP 16 because I thought this episode would be crazy. But, come on! AOT, even that random zombie show and movie they did looked amazing.
EchoAnEternityNov 3, 2019 9:40 AM
Nov 3, 2019 9:37 AM

Nov 2017
HORI SHET
things went into overdrive this episode.
"How dare they start fighting without me. Let me join! Let me join!"
ahh Thorkell, never change.

Can't wait for the next episode
Nov 3, 2019 9:39 AM

Nov 2017
EchoAnEternity said:
Elucid said:

Same, if they fuck up Thorkell vs Thorfinn I’m done. I’ve been telling people to stick around for this very moment and this is just so sad. Maybe, I expected to much from WIT. AOT, even that random zombie show and movie they did looked amazing.

Can you please tell me what chapters were adapted here, reading all the comments here I'd love to read the manga for this
Nov 3, 2019 9:42 AM
Aug 2019
Aniik8pv2 said:
EchoAnEternity said:

Same, if they fuck up Thorkell vs Thorfinn I’m done. I’ve been telling people to stick around for this very moment and this is just so sad. Maybe, I expected to much from WIT. AOT, even that random zombie show and movie they did looked amazing.

Can you please tell me what chapters were adapted here, reading all the comments here I'd love to read the manga for this

Chapters 33-35. Please check them out, they were amazing
Nov 3, 2019 9:51 AM
May 2017
These traitors got what they deserved! This episode was a masterpiece as always.
Nov 3, 2019 9:52 AM

Nov 2017
EchoAnEternity said:
Aniik8pv2 said:

Chapters 33-35. Please check them out, they were amazing

That does it.
I was waiting for the anime to end before picking up the manga, but holy shit the difference is ridiculous.

p.s. Demon Thorkell is so dope lol
Nov 3, 2019 9:55 AM
Jan 2019
What was with the animation in this episode?? It looked so sloppy. I'm kinda disappointed right now.
Nov 3, 2019 10:01 AM
Jun 2015
nanashi796 said:
yep the manga is 100 times better,this episode should have been one of the best in art and animation,it was pretty bad,there are some more important episodes later than this if they'll fuck up those i will give this a 7 at the end,it could have been an 8,i'll wait for the BDs i hope they improve everything.
Why it's just action. How about 53 and 54.
Nov 3, 2019 10:03 AM
Jul 2018
irondark30 said:
I almost sympathized with Askeladd but I have to remember that I want that bastard killed!
I know, right? I've decided to stop taking sides and just enjoy the ride. It's tough to decide who to root for.
Aug 2019
shane_nichols said:
Lmao everyone mad over the animation and saying wit doesn't care. This isn't an action series u boneheads. Its about character development and World building. Wit puts more detail into those scenes because that's what makes Vinland Saga the best. Actions cool and all but imagine episode 14 with shit animation. A scene

True, this isn’t an action series and I’m glad they gave episode 14 the attention they gave it. (I was really hoping that attention and animation would carry over till the end of the season) But for manga readers, like myself. This is damn disappointing. The imagery and flow isn’t there. These chapters were amazing and no I’m not complaining because it’s not 1 for 1 to the manga. This episode was just really half-assed and personally my most anticipated episode to be animated.

Jun 2014
You know, given how badly this show's Blu-Ray sales projection go (goes on sale on late december, but the prediction number is abysmal), I am actually glad WIT isn't over-stretching themselves on the animation department, I will wait for episode 18 (Thorfinn fight) to make some final judgment but overall I am grateful for what I get.

It took NHK, Twin engine, Bilibili, WIT and Production IG (they are in the production committee) s' joint efforts to make this project a 2-cour anime, if it doesn't get SNK or KNY's level of animation, I am not too mad.

PS: Also the manga x1000 times better crowd, goodness, I have read the manga too but I am glad my love for the manga did not make me to stop appreciating this episode's efforts.
SmilingBeginnerNov 3, 2019 10:08 AM
Nov 3, 2019 10:09 AM

Sep 2014
Putting aside some bad animation shots and the overly underwhelming scene with Torgrim's psychological trauma the episode delivered. Hopefully, Thorfinn vs Thorkell will look great in the next episode.
Nov 3, 2019 10:09 AM
Jun 2015
Yeah the actions art was bland, but that's fine. Honestly they're obviously saving the animation for Thorkell vs Thorffin round 2. But the dialogue episodes is where Wit really focuses on, which imo is the better decision because that's the best part of the story like episode 14. Still a great episode with some back story for Asklellad and seeing him fight was badass
Nov 3, 2019 10:12 AM

Dec 2014
Fantastic episode.

To be honest, I don't know what people are complaining about. The animation and art were still pretty nice.

Interesting scene with Askeladd's backstory and his Mom's what I presume is her dying wish.
Bjorn's loyalty is nice to see and Thorfinn the absolute madman just charging into the battle yelling at Thorkell to let Askeladd go because he'll be the one to kill him.

Torgrim got absolutely wrecked by Thorkell as expected, it was still good to see.
The part where Thorkell just punched that horse almost gave me chills, like holy shit!

Excited for Thorfinn vs Thorkell next episode.
Nov 3, 2019 10:14 AM
Apr 2016
Bjorn's loyalty was a beautiful sight. Askeladd's determination is unreal, he's going far. Torgrim's fear of death was shown well I believe, shows that even in their world with death in every corner; fear of death is real and haunts everyone equally. Thorfinn doesn't want Askeladd to die unless he's the one to take him down, now everyone knows. The next episode is delayed, and I don't mind - as long as it will have great animation, since it seems like an important episode/will have an important fight.
Nov 3, 2019 10:14 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Great episode, Thorfinn is going berserk, I'm looking forward to his fight against Thorkell
Nov 3, 2019 10:19 AM
Jul 2017
Yes! It finally happened! The horse punch!
Nov 3, 2019 10:20 AM

Sep 2017
Oh man what a thrilling episode. That was a blast. Nice to see Askeladd getting what he deserves. I knew Thorkell would just end up killing everyone else because they betrayed their leader tho. Thorfinn is a total nut tho. I don't see how he wins, but the fight is gonna be epic.
Nov 3, 2019 10:21 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Amazing episode. I know that they didn't handle Torgrim's moment half as good as the manga but Askeladd's 'waiting for true king's return to Avalon' more than made up for it.

14 days for next episode tho, wew. Next episode will be bonkers.

5/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Nov 3, 2019 10:22 AM
Nov 2015
welcum2savage said:
Anyone else think the amazon translation is utter garbage?
They managed to fuck up my favourite askeladd quote:
"Ive hated every last one of you with every fiber of my being. You stinking, pigfucking danish whoresons"

To
"I really hate you guys"
Theres no personality whatsoever in the subs which is really disappointing because one of the mangas best aspects is the dialogue. Here theres no punch to anything theyre saying and they all sound like retards the way they monologue in the driest way imaginable.

Side note, the next episode had better knock it out of the water, if they want me to accept this quality animation this late into the series.

No, you're not the only one, amazon is garbage. They suck the personality of pretty much everything Askeladd says. ''Grandpa isn't angry anymore'' to ''im not angry anymore'' they have repeatedly butchered his lines throughout most of the show so far. And the dialogue just sounds awkward in general, like Thorkells last line in this episode too. From ''"Son of Thors, last of his warrior's blood" to ''Last in a line of warriors.'' which sounds weird.
Nov 3, 2019 10:31 AM

Nov 2016
Bjorn is the only real one and for the rest, fuck them. At least they got what they deserved. Torgrim in particular literally got mind raped by Thorkell's pressure. Not even horses are safe lmao. He really is a beast and round 2 is going to be sweet.

Felt bad for Askeladd, but now I think he's going to make it.

welcum2savage said:
"Ive hated every last one of you with every fiber of my being. You stinking, pigfucking danish whoresons"

To
"I really hate you guys"
Theres no personality whatsoever in the subs which is really disappointing because one of the mangas best aspects is the dialogue. Here theres no punch to anything theyre saying and they all sound like retards the way they monologue in the driest way imaginable.

Wow, that's fucking garbage.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 3, 2019 10:35 AM

May 2015
shane_nichols said:
nanashi796 said:
Why it's just action. How about 53 and 54.
yeah those plus chapters 45 to 47 and 36 to 42.
Nov 3, 2019 10:37 AM

Mar 2012
I have been waiting for this episode when Askeladd finally tells his band of merry Vikings how much he has hated them the last decade. What changed for him this past decade than previous ones? Oh, him just seeing how that Viking life completely corrupted and destroyed this boy named Thorfinn that's he basically adopted and cares for in his own way.

I think it's a great point in Askeladd's character development that gets missed a bunch. He didn't just hate them because of what happened to his mother. He specifies it's in the last decade he really came to hate his men.

Oh and yes, Amazon subs have sucked forever. Banana Fish had the worst sanitizing of speech where most swear words were removed. This one here is taking all the subtle quips said. I noticed it way back when Thorkell playfully referred to himself an old man to Thorfinn on LOndon bridge and nothing in the translation indicated how he was ribbing Thorfinn.
Nov 3, 2019 10:41 AM
May 2019
A nice episode. Battles, backstory, and now maybe the biggest fight of this anime. Looking forward to next week (and for better animation as well).
Nov 3, 2019 10:47 AM

Jan 2018
I'm so hyped for Thorfinn vs Thorkell, can't wait for the next episode.
Nov 3, 2019 10:49 AM

Mar 2016
It's a really good episode, honestly, but the part when Thorkell scares the shit outta that one guy was done FAR better in the manga.

Nov 3, 2019 10:51 AM

Jul 2014
The slow and steady build-up feels worth it after an intense episode like this. I almost thought for a moment that they were gonna kill Askeladd off, what with all the flashbacks and all, but of course Thorfinn wasn't going to let that one slide. And now we get to the second duel between Thorfinn and Thorkell, and I cannot wait for that.
Nov 3, 2019 10:53 AM

Jun 2014
CaioOlive said:
A nice episode. Battles, backstory, and now maybe the biggest fight of this anime. Looking forward to next week (and for better animation as well).

Unfortunately due to sporting event in the same time slot next week, there will be a one-week delay of episode 18
Nov 3, 2019 10:53 AM

Sep 2010
I thought it was a great episode, it was wild when Askeladd cut that guy in two. I wonder if there is a story behind that, its almost like he's holding back most of the time.
Nov 3, 2019 10:55 AM

Jul 2015
I was quite excited with the episode and i held breath during the fight scene.Nicely done.But the animation quality fell down and Torgrim's trauma was far better portrayed in the manga.
Hopefully animation improves next episode.

Nov 3, 2019 10:55 AM

Sep 2017
OMG! I wish I could travel 1 week into the future just to watch the next episode! This fight is going to be so amazing! CANT WAIT ANY LONGER!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 3, 2019 11:00 AM

Feb 2011
Pretty incredible how this is an actual decent to good adaptation of Vinland Saga wit ha passionate staff that has a deep understanding of the source material as proved in Episode 14 and yet there are still manga readers that manage to find something that's not satisfying enough for them. Like come on, given today's industry with anime being overproduced, i honestly don't think Vinland could have gotten a better adaptation than this.
Nov 3, 2019 11:03 AM

May 2015
welcum2savage said:

To
"I really hate you guys"

Side note, the next episode had better knock it out of the water, if they want me to accept this quality animation this late into the series.
that translation is exaggerated in reality he says this
Nov 3, 2019 11:06 AM
Jun 2017
this episode could have been way better if it were not for animation quality drop, I mean I am kind of sad to see that this show is not consistent with animation quality so we see gorgeous looking episodes in one hand and bad ones on the other you would think that the studio would but higher priorities to the important episodes such as this one but no they decide to but it on the a random episode ( the one with askelad brutally kill all villagers) I mean yes it was good but not important as this episode, I just hope following episodes don't disappoint but I doubt that maybe its because the studio worked on aot s3 part 2 no idea would have been totally fine to have this show later on with better quality animation than for it to be poorly animated and released early
Nov 3, 2019 11:12 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Alas, seinen adaptations never get the lavish production values of the super shounens, so we get can never expect to have consistent top dollar animation. Sad.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 3, 2019 11:34 AM
Nov 2014
Everyone says manga was a lot better, but anyway the episode was amazing, there is no doubt. I’m sure there are many restrictions with censoring and stuff, so we should be grateful that we see such a story in anime
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
Apr 15, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

792 by skywizard »»
Mar 29, 2:07 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

407 by xyara_girl »»
Mar 23, 12:30 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.