Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 24, 2019 10:14 AM
Nov 2018
I think the innovation and overall quality of the series is being underwhelm by people who are non-CGI fundamentalists. Even thou the CGI here is great. I think it deserves a higher score clearly.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 24, 2019 10:46 AM
Aug 2011
It's gone up since it first was released.

It was originally at a 7.5ish area and is now at a 7.86, which by itself is not a low score.

If it was at a 7 or lower then that would be lower than normal.
Oct 24, 2019 10:48 AM

Aug 2018
Really it's 7.86 not a bad score at all

"I want to show that woman the true Yoshikage Kira. I want her to hear how I feel deep inside. That I want to take your slender neck into these hands and strangle you to death."

Oct 24, 2019 10:49 AM

May 2018
People are probably more turned off by the furry society concept than the CGI
Or turned off by both

But yeah this show is worth atleast an 8 IMO and the manga a 9, sadly enough... the furry concept man... some people...
Both the Manga and Anime score lower than I think they deserve, just my opinion tho.
Oct 24, 2019 11:18 AM
May 2019
I would've preferred if they didn't use CGI, but honestly it's not that bad.
I think that frame rate drops are a bigger issue.
It's a shame that this anime hasn't been done by a better studio.
Imagine how more awesome it would've been if it was done by MADHOUSE or KyotoAni.
Oct 24, 2019 12:16 PM
May 2016
Xstasy said:
Imagine how more awesome it would've been if it was done by MADHOUSE or KyotoAni.

Do you think this studio is bad? From this studio, I only saw Houseki no Kuni and now Beastars. I loved Houseki no Kuni.
Oct 24, 2019 12:26 PM

Jun 2015
Xstasy said:

Madhouse is a very average studio nowadays. Overlord CGI was a totally mess. Well, at least No Guns Life is not that bad, but Beastars CGI still way better.
OttesOct 24, 2019 12:29 PM
Oct 24, 2019 12:42 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
7.86 for an airing anime thats not a sequel is pretty fucking good.

Specially for a CG/''furry''/stuck in netflix jail anime.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 24, 2019 2:45 PM
Jan 2017
I watched many anime with CGI (knight of sidonia, Ajin, houseki no Kuni, etc) and I must say I don't like it. The CGI are great when used it for building, particle, magic, vehicle, or other enviroment and special effect that have complex colour. it shouldn't be used on living creature,it's always give this stiffness movement that I hate when they used it for anime, let me give you an example.

bad CGI :
shiled hero : dragon
golden kamui : Bear
arslan senki, vinland saga : soldier
knight of sidonia : tentacle things
attack on titan : colossal titan

good CGI :
ghost in the shell : robot
psycho pass : dominator, helicopter, car, drone
fate/zero : magic circle
attack on titan : 3D manuever
ajin : black particle in ajin

for me, the best studio for using CGI is I.G. Production who produce ghost in the shell and psycho pass.
I still think that it will well received in west (don't worry it's pretty popular in japan) if they give 2D animation instead of CGI and beastars deserve that treatment, I mean the manga rated higher than the promised neverland and won awards in Japan. the good thing about this anime is they used great bgm and sfx, that opening probably my favorite this season.

overall, yeah, the CGI turned off most people out there and gives a low score.
Oct 24, 2019 3:17 PM
Feb 2015
ryukugan37 said:
I watched many anime with CGI (knight of sidonia, Ajin, houseki no Kuni, etc) and I must say I don't like it. The CGI are great when used it for building, particle, magic, vehicle, or other enviroment and special effect that have complex colour. it shouldn't be used on living creature,it's always give this stiffness movement that I hate when they used it for anime, let me give you an example.

bad CGI :
shiled hero : dragon
golden kamui : Bear
arslan senki, vinland saga : soldier
knight of sidonia : tentacle things
attack on titan : colossal titan

good CGI :
ghost in the shell : robot
psycho pass : dominator, helicopter, car, drone
fate/zero : magic circle
attack on titan : 3D manuever
ajin : black particle in ajin

for me, the best studio for using CGI is I.G. Production who produce ghost in the shell and psycho pass.
I still think that it will well received in west (don't worry it's pretty popular in japan) if they give 2D animation instead of CGI and beastars deserve that treatment, I mean the manga rated higher than the promised neverland and won awards in Japan. the good thing about this anime is they used great bgm and sfx, that opening probably my favorite this season.

overall, yeah, the CGI turned off most people out there and gives a low score.

Wow we got an expert here
Oct 24, 2019 4:44 PM

Apr 2015
Score's getting higher with time though, not mentioning near 8 is pretty good nonetheless and if you look at the stats you can see most people gave it a 7-8 score so far which definitely explains why it is stuck in that range.

Anyway, MAL score being driven by a community to me makes it just as credible as a critical source than any user scores on Metacritic.
Oct 24, 2019 9:39 PM
Jul 2017
I don’t see a problem with the CG. It’s really well made. It actually would be damn near impossible to replicate that sketchy art style from the manga. The anime looks just fine to me. But the story itself is well written. It’s an interesting concept. The score will probably increase as the weeks go by when people start realizing that this is a good anime.
Oct 25, 2019 3:49 AM

Jun 2013
A lot of series on MAL are rated highly due to its massive fanbase and popularity in the media. Although their story, plot, etc. are mediocre and severely generic, they boast high scores due to those reasons. There are many series which suffer form low ratings due to their lack of a wider audience and publicity that their more popular counterparts revel in.
臭い-
Oct 25, 2019 5:18 AM

Jul 2019
I think this show deserves atleast a score of 8.3
Oct 25, 2019 5:21 AM
May 2018
Lonely_Ronin123 said:
Really it's 7.86 not a bad score at all

This.
The score will increase when something interesting happens storywise, so far for most people its just a promising show, but that´s good enough if you ask me.
Also I think the show looks georgeous, I don´t see how 2d would add anything.
FlyingcowsketchOct 25, 2019 5:26 AM
Oct 25, 2019 6:13 AM

Oct 2015
If it keeps this amazing quality it's sure to get at least close to Houseki no Kuni in score, if not surpass it by the end of the season
Oct 25, 2019 6:42 AM

Oct 2018
It's probably lower because of Netflix jail, a lot people are actually giving positive feedback about this.
Oct 25, 2019 6:59 AM

Jul 2012
I thought the CGI was pretty solid
Oct 31, 2019 6:37 AM

May 2018
Why do you think 7.9 is a bad score? It's pretty high and it's more solid than all these shitty mainstream shows with 8.5+.
It has really good CGI and the story is very promising.
If it keeps going good I predict that its score will be about 7.9-8.2
Nemo_NiemandNov 1, 2019 6:57 AM

Oct 31, 2019 1:45 PM
Nov 2017
I have absolutely no idea why this show has 7.86 and not higher. The story is amazing and animation is absolutely beautiful, it reminds me of Spiderman: Into the spider-verse. This is a perfect example of CGI done right!
Oct 31, 2019 1:52 PM

Apr 2016
I found the art style pretty bad, to be honest. However, the score isn't low, it's a good score.
Oct 31, 2019 4:33 PM

Jul 2016
The same thing happened to Houseki no Kuni (made by Orange as well), where it had around 6.00 I think but is now 8.4. I think once they give Beastars a chance, they'll find out it's actually an interesting story and that the animation isn't bad at all.
Oct 31, 2019 4:38 PM
Apr 2016
I really don't get why every studio is forcing aesthetically-unpleasing ugly-ass CGI on every possible anime; it's pretty good in this one though, so it gets a pass. CGI isn't that bad overall honestly, but I'd prefer not seeing it every season minimally ten times.
Nov 1, 2019 1:22 AM

Feb 2019
twoego said:
I really don't get why every studio is forcing aesthetically-unpleasing ugly-ass CGI on every possible anime; it's pretty good in this one though, so it gets a pass. CGI isn't that bad overall honestly, but I'd prefer not seeing it every season minimally ten times.

CGI saves time and costs less. Which I can understand, since the schedule for animating is really tight.
Nov 1, 2019 7:05 AM

Nov 2016
Sometimes it feels like people are brainwashed to believe that CGI = bad. It's one of the best looking shows this season and furthermore the highest rated non-sequel(I exclude Fate).

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 1, 2019 7:19 AM

Apr 2015
NotFred said:
twoego said:

CGI saves time and costs less. Which I can understand, since the schedule for animating is really tight.

And in the hands of good studios like Orange and Ufotable, they can actually enhance your experience by utilizing this method of animation instead of being more of a "We can't actually properly animate this in 2D cuz of the cost so let's just use CGI".
Nov 1, 2019 7:39 AM

Mar 2016
It’s neither about the furry thing or the CGI. I personally feel like the plot is still a bit too pretentious, but at least the tone and theme is very much there.
I only care about Legosi in terms of characters, though.
Nov 1, 2019 8:41 AM
Feb 2019
The big furry and CGI tag on it is whats causing this slightly lower score. I do agree that it deserves to be higher, with the the core story and characters being spectacular. this will be one of those animes that get a huge boost when it finishes, with the 1/5th effect and everything.
Nov 1, 2019 4:34 PM
Jun 2017
Low score? 7.9x 😂😂😂😂😂😂

I mean i dont know whats the definition of some for having a high grade, but for me a series even reaching a 7.5 above is performing very well already, plus the fact that Beastars are increasing (its average rating) as episode progresses showes that people are appreciating the said series.
Nov 1, 2019 5:03 PM
Apr 2019
Because no waifu.

And honestly the CGI is good. But yeah, many people liked the art more than the story told, otherwise Weathering With You will not even reach 7.3
Nov 1, 2019 6:40 PM
Jun 2019
The score isn't low due to CGI. The animation quality isn't bad at all.
I wanna be the doodle guy.
Nov 1, 2019 6:47 PM

Dec 2015
This definitely helps, but it's also because it's not shounen and because it doesn't have a 3 minute fight scene with ufotable production. Aparently this is what it takes for it have a good score on MAL.

Anyway, if KnY have taught us anything, is that score here in this site shouldn't really be taken serious. Just enjoy the show
Nov 2, 2019 5:41 AM
Jul 2017
The CGI is Perfect!!
Nov 2, 2019 6:05 AM

Jun 2015
thiago52192 said:
This definitely helps, but it's also because it's not shounen and because it doesn't have a 3 minute fight scene with ufotable production. Aparently this is what it takes for it have a good score on MAL.

Anyway, if KnY have taught us anything, is that score here in this site shouldn't really be taken serious. Just enjoy the show

Except that Beastars is published in a shounen magazine and has a good amount of fight scenes during the run. Stop trying to use KnY to justify x or y when has nothing to do with Beastars.
Nov 2, 2019 8:28 AM

Dec 2015
Ottes said:
thiago52192 said:

Except that Beastars is published in a shounen magazine and has a good amount of fight scenes during the run. Stop trying to use KnY to justify x or y when has nothing to do with Beastars.

Except I clearly was referring to Shounen as the main characteristics of the genre, and not the magazine. And I clearly wasn't referring to the quantity of fight scenes in the show, but how it is portrayed, which focus much more in characters problems instead of cliche battle shounen such as KnY, which relies only in hype whithout making the background of the fight (character motivations and overall plot) interesting.

And yes, KnY has nothing to do with Beasters, but it's the best example to understand the mentality of most people while rating a show in MAL, which is the main question of the OP. People won't care how much Beasters is developing it's characters and creating a good story, most of them just want a hype scene in order to increase the score.
Nov 2, 2019 1:46 PM

Mar 2018
It's sadly not that popular. That's one bad thing about Netlix jail. If this had more people watching, it would easy garner a fanbase to lift up the score.

It'll probably reach above 8.00 in the end though, that's all that matters imo
poop
Nov 2, 2019 2:51 PM

Aug 2016
I remember I started reading the manga when it was like 8.12 and now its 8.53. It´s one of those stories that take its time to get interesting. I´d dare to say that´s a bigger consideration than the CGI being un-appealing for most anime fans. Wait till Gouhin´s arc (i don´t recommed reading his description if you are an anime-only, it´s almost a spoiler), the score could really rise up after that point.
MichaelJacksonNov 2, 2019 2:55 PM
:v
Nov 4, 2019 1:55 PM

Apr 2015
Since episode 4 got out, the score went up from 7.85 to 7.99 right now and still going up.
Quality of the show is speaking for itself right now !
Nov 5, 2019 12:39 AM

Nov 2016
Now it's at 8.00! The score is just rising higher and higher, excellent.
Don't question my antics.
Nov 5, 2019 2:14 AM
Mar 2019
Now it's at 8.00! The score is just rising higher and higher, excellent.

Is also climbing in the ranking ^^
Nov 6, 2019 6:29 AM

Nov 2014
Ottes said:
thiago52192 said:

but the thing is we haven't see any of beastars great fight scenes yet in the anime, that's why it hasn't garnered enough attention to hype up the score. But when the fight comes (end of season 1), depending on how they animate the cgi, it'll for sure raise the score incrementally.

MichaelJackson said:
I remember I started reading the manga when it was like 8.12 and now its 8.53. It´s one of those stories that take its time to get interesting. I´d dare to say that´s a bigger consideration than the CGI being un-appealing for most anime fans. Wait till Gouhin´s arc (i don´t recommed reading his description if you are an anime-only, it´s almost a spoiler), the score could really rise up after that point.
gouhin's arc is when this story reveals its true self and you see just how different it is from the other typical school-romance whatnots, and how Beastars is a story that can only be told with anthropomorphic animals, and substituting them with human characters simply won't work.
Nov 7, 2019 7:27 PM

Jul 2012
Now the rating is pretty accurate :D
Nov 7, 2019 10:10 PM
Jul 2016
I want this show to at least get 8.4 because of the manga, I don't know if they'll screw future episodes up, but if they don't then it'll be well deserved. The story telling(in the plot twist way) is on the same level as Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica if not better.
Nov 8, 2019 12:16 PM
Jan 2018
Jet44 said:
I want this show to at least get 8.4 because of the manga, I don't know if they'll screw future episodes up, but if they don't then it'll be well deserved. The story telling(in the plot twist way) is on the same level as Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica if not better.

Same or higher then land of lustorus would be good as well
Nov 8, 2019 12:18 PM

May 2012
The show is not that good. I think the current score is too high.

And I don't care about CGI. It does not bother me at all
Nov 9, 2019 1:14 AM
Jul 2016
thepath said:
The show is not that good. I think the current score is too high.

And I don't care about CGI. It does not bother me at all

If you think it is, then just wait for future episodes and the finale, then you can judge it accordingly.
Nov 13, 2019 6:33 AM

Jun 2011
The score isn't bad rn. And for me, the cgi isn't bad
Nov 15, 2019 4:09 PM
Jul 2018
It’s so satisfying to see the score slowly rising each week
Nov 15, 2019 9:07 PM
May 2016
It's good to see the score rising but I do think there's some kind of botting going on, or at least a dedicated group of people that have been giving every ep 1/5's and 2/5's for no reason, they don't even post or comment on why but every ep discussion has had them so far.
Nov 16, 2019 9:55 AM

Feb 2018
Mattinator95 said:
Jet44 said:

Same or higher then land of lustorus would be good as well

Yay, it definitely deserves better score than land of lustorus, the show is brilliant and I don't even see any pointabout people complaining about CGI!! Well, if land of lustorus is anything to go by, its score increased from 7.00 to 8.5. So, there is no reason beastars can't repeat it(specially when it started way ahead at 7.7).
shubh_jain_2Dec 7, 2019 7:31 PM
'I have no bonds tying me down. That's why I can see things as they are!!' - Yugami
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Beastars Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2019

112 by Kayarbee70 »»
Apr 10, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Beastars Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2019

178 by Kayarbee70 »»
Apr 10, 7:27 PM

Poll: » Beastars Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 25, 2019

199 by chittripper1 »»
Feb 18, 8:06 AM

Poll: » Beastars Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2019

114 by Kvistis »»
Jan 11, 12:30 AM

Poll: » Beastars Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2019

115 by Kvistis »»
Jan 10, 11:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.