Forum Settings
Forums

Being part of which fandom did you have the most fun?

New
Oct 22, 2019 11:54 AM
Oct 2018
For me it was the reddit fanbase lf go toubun no hanayome. Specifically the pre anime fanbase. I think it was one of the best fandom for a harem manga. For most part people spent their time discussing or forming theory about who will be the winner. They posted fan arts, thried finding clue in the most insignificant things. Plus they never tried to shit on the character thats not their favourite.

So what to you was your best experience with a fandom
Oct 22, 2019 12:00 PM

Feb 2013
the episodic threads for samurai flamenco on /a/
Oct 22, 2019 12:10 PM

Nov 2017
idk the fate ones seem fun but havent seen it yet

plz @ me
Oct 22, 2019 12:12 PM

Feb 2018
Metal Gear (yeh, know it's not anime, but whatever).
Oct 22, 2019 12:29 PM

May 2018
I would say that Naruto and SAO are two of the best - a really inclusive, almost family like vibe that exudes warmth and love. Narutards proclaiming to never give up, never go back on their word, and believe it, y'know. And with the much maligned SAO, it's like being on the same side in a war or something. We rally together in regiments ready to launch counter attacks against the hatred and abuse - comrades till we die LOL.

SuperGreenTeaJan 20, 2022 10:29 AM
Oct 22, 2019 12:42 PM

Feb 2019
Geshtinanna said:
I would say that Naruto and SAO are two of the best - a really inclusive, almost family like vibe that exudes warmth and love. Narutards proclaiming to never give up, never go back on their word, and Believe It y'now. And with the much maligned SAO, it's like being on the same side in a war or something. We rally together in regiments ready to launch counter attacks against the hatred and abuse - comrades till we die LOL.

Same can be said about fairy tail fanbase

I haven't been active part of any fandom but gintama fandom is pretty chill because you can always crack jokes like 'zura janai, katsura da!' in discussion.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
FancyjasperOct 23, 2019 3:11 AM
Oct 22, 2019 1:20 PM

May 2009
I've honestly never really found a part of the fandom I really fit into, except maybe those fans who are really interested in anime music and anisong.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 22, 2019 1:27 PM

Jan 2017
The only fandom that I genuinely liked is Overlord fandom.
Oct 22, 2019 1:35 PM
Jul 2018
If talking about anime, Fate fandom
Oct 22, 2019 1:38 PM

May 2018
Jojo community is the best. Despite having many degenerates it is still extremely funny

Oct 22, 2019 1:40 PM

Nov 2016
The one I have had the most fun on was the Latin American Love Live Fandom. Those groups were fun when they were relevant.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 22, 2019 1:49 PM

Jun 2017
Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryoko fandom is the best anime/manga fandom I ever seen.
Oct 22, 2019 2:54 PM

Apr 2015
Monogatari fans are a ton of fun. Had the pleasure of watching the three Kizumonogatari movies in sold out crowds of Monogatari fans. Those movies, particularly Part II, were the most fun movie experiences I've had. Laughing as one during the sensual/awkward moments to deafening silence during serious/intimate moments. There were cosplayers on the crowd. During the viewing of Part II, I was sitting behind beautiful Senjougahara and Hanekawa cosplayers. Having Shaft President Kubota among the audience was so precise. I liked how he was apprehensive at how Americans might react, but was relieved that we loved it (glorious ecchi and all included).
GraumannOct 22, 2019 3:00 PM
Oct 22, 2019 2:58 PM

Apr 2016
It was fun being part of the Pokemon, Trails, and Tales of fandoms. Keyword being was.

Pokemon

It was nothing but joy up until 2010. Everyone had their favorite gens, their favorite Pokemon, and their favorite characters from the anime. There were the usual shipping debates but they never really went anywhere; it was just all in good fun as people exchanged headcanons regarding characters who never even as much as had a hint of romantic affection for each other in the show. Generally, bliss.

Then BW hit, and for the first time, the fandom had been truly split. For players, many detested the fact that they couldn't initially find Pokemon from older generations until they were nearly done with their first playthrough. Others despised the "globalization/Americanization" of Pokemon as for the first time, we had a region explicitly based on a location other than Japan. Etc. For fans of the anime, they were incredibly disappointed to find Ash Ketchum - character who had been consistently growing since the first ever episode - to have his progression reset to a dumb idiot. People were upset with the companions, as Iris constantly insulted the protagonist, and many felt that Cilan was a discount replacement for Brock (personally, I feel that Brock had become a hollow caricature of himself by D&P, so Cilan was actually somewhat of a step up). This was also around the time that people began to become really jaded with the anime. In prior seasons, Ash was consistently climbing up the ladder in the League Conferences and was on his way to becoming a Pokemon Champion. People were upset with D&P's ending because Ash's victory was snatched away by a trainer no one had heard of before who whipped out a rack of legendaries. No big deal; Ash ended at the semi-finals that time. Ofcourse he'll push to the finals the time, right? Nope. Ash backslides from top 4 to top 8...

Then XY hits. Game wise, people start getting frustrated with GameFreak for what they consider to be "Gen 1 pandering", as there is heavy promotion of Gen 1 Pokemon over the other generations (Gen 1 starters given to the players during the story, Gen 1 gets far and away the most Mega-Evolutions, etc). For GameFreak's first 3D mainline entry, they expected more out of XY, and it dropped several features that were beloved in previous games, such as the Battle Frontier and Pokemon Contests. On the anime side of things, things started out really optimistic. BW Ash was completely retconned out and XY Ash starts off where his development in Sinnoh last left off. The man is back! Furthermore, XY had Serena, a PokeGirl who was actually romantically interested in Ash (which caused an uproar among fragile shippers as their headcanon crack pairings were threatened by canon). As we entered into the XYZ season, GameFreak began hyping up Ash's league victory really hard. Combine that with the XY anime having a tremendous leap in production quality - art, animation, episode pacing, etc - and you saw a large influx of teenage and adult viewers coming in to check up what's the big deal. Then he loses. Again. And Serena's relationship with Ash dissipates as she is left behind to never return again. At this point, people were just done with the anime, feeling that the Pokemon Company will never allow any significant changes.

SM hits, and community morale continues to decline. The game is simply XY 2.0, with hardly any improvements over the prior game and missing essential features that made the first five generations so revered among gamers. Even the beloved soaring feature of ORAS did not make a return. No new Mega-Evolutions were introduced, replaced with new gimmicks in the form of Alolan formes and Z-moves. People began to fear (and rightfully so) that GameFreak was just whipping up ideas for a game and had no intention of reusing or developing them. Furthermore, the pandering towards Gen 1 intensified, with only Gen 1 Pokemon receiving redesigns as Alolan formes and the LGEP remakes. Anime wise, when it was revealed that Ash would not be traveling on the road collecting badges, but instead had been reverted back to a "bumbling idiot" (much like the hated BW Ash) and enrolled in a school, many people simply dropped the anime and didn't look back. Making matters worse is that Ash's surprise victory in the Alolan League felt unearned (he fought with his weakest team and won against Hau because of a rules technicality). It felt like an insincere consolation prize for having lost the hyped up Kalos League Tournament.

As we approach SwSh, morale among the Pokemon fandom has been plummeting at an unprecedented rate. GameFreak has made a fool of themselves by refusing to take advantage of their billions of dollars in revenue from the franchise and the resources Nintendo offers to give their fans a quality product. GameFreak introduced people to Mega-Evolutions and Z-moves, and took them away from people who loved them. We are being drip fed information about SwSh, which - knowing GameFreak's behavior - indicates that there very little content in the game.

Overall, I'm just exhausted by the Pokemon Company's behavior over the past several years. I will always cherish my time with the series, but at this point, I - like many others - have decided enough is enough.

=============================================

Trails

I've talked about this topic so many times, I'm too exhausted to write up yet another essay about it. In general: people shitting on the Trails of Cold Steel games and worshiping at the foot of the 'Sky and Crossbell games when they committed the exact same things those people accuse Cold Steel of doing. Doesn't matter whether or not I go to SomethingAwful, the Animesuki, the SpaceBattles, Neogaf, ResetERA, r/JRPG, r/Vita, r/Falcom, the Falcom Discord, Steam or wherever. It's nothing but non stop shitting, and woe to anyone who actually likes those games. It's like the Prequel trilogy/Gen 5/FE Awakening/Zestiria hate all over again. I just can't be bothered to interact with that community anymore.

=============================================

Tales of

*sigh*

After the Zestiria hate train... I just can't. Not anymore. I'm done with those people.
Oct 22, 2019 3:20 PM
Jul 2018
I love my Trigun discords, all three of them. The fanbase on Tumblr is also wonderful. I also love the Digimon subreddit and Tumblr community.
removed-userOct 22, 2019 8:54 PM
Oct 22, 2019 8:40 PM

Sep 2019
Couldn't really think of one until I thought of Digimon. Now that Tri finished and there's a new movie releasing next year, Digimon is more popular than its been in a long time. It's great to see how other people who grew up with it are talking about it again.
Oct 22, 2019 8:50 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Ecchi fans, obviously. The general, genre oriented ones that are practically our own fandom. I run the only semi-active club for them, largest in our theme and sixth largest on MAL total. Our Discord Server has almost as many boosts as MAL's Official one does, ffs. MAL H&E I am very active in it and I absolutely adore what we have going and I'm pretty proud of what we've accomplished. Also, I have been active on the forums even longer as a part of that fandom and met some great friends through that as well. I owe my entire position to my forum activity, if anything.

Strong sense of community and it's great for pic sharing and shitbanter and merch-showing a lot of the more relaxed and less intense elements of being in a fandom. Serious discussion is something I feel is generally a weak point, but at the same time there's a lack of thinking "I am an authority on everything under the sun" that you find more present in places on AD. Sure, with ecchi series it can be that way a lot of the time, but that's because a lot of us watch this stuff. But in general, there's less of a competitive environment for discourse and trying to act like you're an authority on a type of anime you've seen 4 series of, which is super prevalent and extremely annoying on this board. That trade off - weaker at discussion, but less desperate to act like they understand things they clearly know nothing about - is definitely worth it in my eyes.

But shitbanter is my favorite part of it. It feels nice being able to talk to people who actually have similar interests to me, rather than dealing with some backpedaling nobody who wants to think we are remotely the same type of fan just because we both like anime. It makes for a great environment for more lax conversation and generally being more low stress and less toxic.

Oct 22, 2019 10:31 PM
Jul 2018
Wmt fandom for me, which also seems to be most open to western animation and by that I don't mean the new flash animated comedy series
Oct 23, 2019 12:15 AM

Jul 2019
Been in few fandoms so far. Tokyo Ghoul became kinda annoying, AOT was cancerous at times, BNHA turned into a shipfest after a while. My favourite fandom so far is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. r/ShitPostCrusaders FTW. I just enjoy it a lot, I get the memes, they love shitposting. No other fandoms offers so much quality shitpost. Also Many fandoms are ruined with stupid shipping.
Oct 23, 2019 12:29 AM
Jul 2018
Ahmad_o said:
The only fandom that I genuinely liked is Overlord fandom.
second this. it's always fun reading theories or just reveling the badassery of some scenes.

splat splat
Oct 23, 2019 12:32 AM
May 2018
I've been part of 2 fandoms ; Naruto(on facebook,about 3 years ago ) and One Piece (on reddit,for last 6 months or so ). Naruto fandom was toxic AF, even for someone like me who'd watched only that series at that time while being part of One Piece fandom has been fun so far especially in the discussions of recent Manga chapters and One Piece - Stampede(movie).

Seriously, found this fan art in the sub-reddit and couldn't stop laughing for a while.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 23, 2019 12:43 AM
Jun 2019
I second this,The 5toubun no hanayome fandom is really engaging to participate in with all the theory making and the gentle best girl arguments.Besides that the Berserk/Vinland Saga shitposting group on FB is pure gold.
Oct 23, 2019 2:17 AM

Oct 2018
Jojo fandom are bunch of shitposters, although they can get really out of hand you don't see things like this in other fandom https://mobile.twitter.com/satanicyeehaw/status/1186446852603961344

Even eva and berserk fandom can be enjoyable sometimes, honestly the only fandom I don't like is one piece fandom but they're not that bad too.
Ri22rkOct 23, 2019 2:32 AM
Oct 23, 2019 2:28 AM

Mar 2018
Touhou. One of the reasons I love the franchise so much. Memes are priceless. Fan-made games, music videos, anime are amazing and I can see the love. One of the most talented fandom for sure. It also has this sense of unity when it comes to the franchise except for power levels and doujin circles.

Oct 23, 2019 2:35 AM

Jul 2012
JJBA for me too for sure. I have too much fun in the JoJo community and every JoJo fan that I have interacted with has been extremely nice and friendly.
Oct 23, 2019 2:53 AM

Feb 2019
Honestly, I have never had as much fun in fandom as I did in Tolkien fandom. It was my first online fandom back in 2010, and I'm still friends with people I met from back then.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Oct 23, 2019 3:08 AM

Oct 2018
The Bungou Stray Dogs fan base is surprisingly friendly. Everyone gets along and has a good time discussing things without being an ass.

Oct 23, 2019 4:04 AM

Jul 2014
As hard to believe as it maybe, the Dragon Ball fanbase at least the discord one, I have tons of fun talking with them and they dont overhype anything lol.
Oct 23, 2019 4:13 AM

Jul 2014
25NOVember said:
For me it was the reddit fanbase lf go toubun no hanayome. Specifically the pre anime fanbase. I think it was one of the best fandom for a harem manga. For most part people spent their time discussing or forming theory about who will be the winner. They posted fan arts, thried finding clue in the most insignificant things. Plus they never tried to shit on the character thats not their favourite.

Do you not like the post-anime fandom? I joined the subreddit after watching the anime. Not that I ever post in it.
Oct 23, 2019 4:21 AM

Jun 2019
Bleach community! I know it has that "It'll return guys, just wait and see..." false way of thinking which can get really annoying, but I've made some nice friends there, specifically in the bbs mobile game community.

ブレ
ブレ
ブレ
ブレ

Oct 23, 2019 6:16 AM

Dec 2015
hetalia for SURE. i got into it back when i was really young and f*cebook's design wasnt actual garbage lol. i saw pages of my favourite characters, aph america, england, etc, and decided i really wanted one too so i made one. that led to me finding out what roleplay was and i ended up becoming one of the "big" pages and i felt really loved and had so so so much fun. i met a lot of my friends from back then, coming up on ten years of knowing them lmao, i dont think i could have done any of that without hetalia nor do i think id be here now without it
Oct 23, 2019 10:24 AM
Oct 2018
SithSteel said:
25NOVember said:

Do you not like the post-anime fandom? I joined the subreddit after watching the anime. Not that I ever post in it.

No. I am still a part of it and even now its miles better than any other harem manga fandom but as the no of People increased no of post also increased and it became hard to keep up with it. It just lost some of its earlier charm.
Oct 23, 2019 10:49 AM

Jul 2017
I still have to find a fandom that makes me laugh more than the JoJo one. JoJo fans make the best memes by a big difference, and the best references and video editions I've ever seen. They're very dedicate fans, and manga readers are awesome as well.
Feb 13, 2020 6:23 AM
May 2019
For me unfortunately none, At first I was in many fandoms but after watching how fandoms are full of toxic people, I had to leave all fandoms, The anime community is full of hardcore fans and haters.
Hardcore fans are never open to criticism, say one wrong thing about their anime and all of them will attack you.
Hardcore haters instead of pointing out the flaws of that anime or why they think it's bad, they just keep calling it shit, trash, garbage, they will insult that anime's fans too, just for a anime or a character they will go as far as sending death threats
Shippers ruin all animes.
There are ship wars, waifu wars, Sub Vs Dub wars, which anime is best or trash wars.
Instead of debating with facts everyone just attack each other personally, There are many attention seekers who love to offend people on purpose and start fan wars.
Coming into the anime community feels like I just stepped into hell.
My overall experience with fandoms is just So bad, Now I keep watching the animes I want to see but I stay far away from all of these fandoms
Feb 13, 2020 6:25 AM

Dec 2018
The competitive smash community is simultaneously the best community I’ve been in as well as the worst.
Feb 13, 2020 6:30 AM

Jul 2016
Dragon ball fandom,more specifically the latino side of it.So wholesome seeing how dedicated those fans are,it´s awesome.
Feb 13, 2020 6:33 AM

Aug 2016
The Code Geass fandom unironically made the series even more enjoyable to me
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Feb 13, 2020 6:34 AM

Jul 2016
-Stray said:
As hard to believe as it maybe, the Dragon Ball fanbase at least the discord one, I have tons of fun talking with them and they dont overhype anything lol.

Dragon ball fanbase is actually pretty cool imo.If you look past all of the power scalers it´s actually a pretty nice community composed of people that are extremely passionate about the franchise,since most deem it their childhood and grew up with it.Honestly,the first friend i made on this site was from dbz amino.
Feb 16, 2020 3:39 AM

Apr 2011
JoJo fandom from 2003 to 2015ish.

Talked with people from all around the world about our favorite manga.
IKKIsamaFeb 16, 2020 3:43 AM
Feb 16, 2020 12:04 PM

Jul 2011
I'm actually not part of any fandom and I will keep it this way.

More topics from this board

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

22 by Theo1899 »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 3 minutes ago

1 by deg »»
3 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 4 hours ago

19 by Zakception »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 2 hours ago

8 by Theo1899 »»
7 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

164 by JaniSIr »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.