Forum Settings
Forums

Does anyone else have this problem with their friends?

New
Oct 21, 2019 6:22 PM

Aug 2019
Me: Hey, Do you like Demon slayer
Friend: Ah yes, Kimetsu no yaiba, I like it.
Me: =/
fishyrishiOct 21, 2019 6:30 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 21, 2019 6:33 PM

Jan 2018
What, the fact that they call the show by its proper name? I typically just refer to a show by what it's more commonly known as in the anime community.

Most of the time it's the Japanese name, so:

Kimi no Na wa = correct
Your Name = wrong

There are some cases where the English name is much more widely used, though:

Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei = no one calls it by this
The Tatami Galaxy = correct

Kinda just depends on the show, but when people say "Demon Slayer" I typically have no idea what they're talking about at first.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Oct 21, 2019 6:35 PM
Dec 2016
actuallyaadhi said:

this is hilarious to me because i'm that friend
Oct 21, 2019 6:38 PM

Sep 2014
Yes I recall something like that happened with my Japanese friend who talked me about Hagane no Renkinjutsushi and I was like what is this? I don't know this anime. It turned out it's just the japanese name for Full metal alchemist. I had no idea.
Oct 21, 2019 6:39 PM

Jan 2018
Hrybami said:
Yes I recall something like that happened with my Japanese friend who talked me about Hagane no Renkinjutsushi and I was like what is this? I don't know this anime. It turned out it's just the japanese name for Full metal alchemist. I had no idea.

Yeah, but this is one of the cases where no one in the western anime community ever calls it by that name. Most shows over here are still primarily referred to in their romanji (or some conjunctive nickname) rather than the English counterpart (which is often a bastardization of the title), but FMA is one of the biggest exceptions.
GreyleafOct 21, 2019 6:44 PM

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Oct 21, 2019 7:02 PM

Nov 2008
Eh, it's not a big deal. If I use the Japanese name and people go "wat", I just switch to the English one. xD

Oct 21, 2019 7:07 PM

Jul 2017
nah, me and my friends always use the English name if it has one, unless the Japanese name is easier to say. For example Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka can be simplified to DanMachi which is much easier than saying Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?

"Do you know why snow is white? 
Because it's forgotten what color it's supposed to be." - C.C.

Oct 21, 2019 7:07 PM

Sep 2008
demon slayer sounds incredibly generic. calling it kimetsu is easier.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Oct 21, 2019 7:08 PM

Jul 2012
Really the biggest difference between using the Japanese name and the English name is who is using sites like Crunchyroll versus who's a pirate.
That being said outside of series that are vastly more well known by their English name (Ie. Fullmetal Alchemist as mentioned) I'm obligated to assume people generally using the English title for every anime must be a cop.
Oct 21, 2019 7:10 PM
Jul 2018
nyugvo6 said:

It is a generic show though. I know I have only watched 20 days of anime which isn't alot around here but I feel it was a generic show. The final episode was pretty cool though.
Oct 21, 2019 7:10 PM
Jul 2018
I don't think it's a problem (?)
In reality, I and my friends usually use japanese title to refer to an anime.
Oct 21, 2019 7:12 PM

Jun 2014
I don't have any friends, so I've never encountered this problem.

Oct 21, 2019 7:15 PM

Oct 2015
Yeah I have a few friends who like Demon Slayer too. I don't hold it against them though.
Oct 21, 2019 7:19 PM

Aug 2016
Then there's shows like 'Hyakuren no Haou to Seiyaku no Valkyria' / 'The Master of Ragnarok & Blesser of Einherjar' where both the English and Japanese names are fucked so I just refer it as "that shitty isekai that came out a while ago, I don't remember the name"
Oct 21, 2019 7:31 PM

Mar 2016
Me : Watching everything else
My friends : This is Naruto?
Me :

~

Oct 21, 2019 7:32 PM

Oct 2010
My only problem with my friends comes from football
Me: hey, do you like ter stegen
Friend: neuer is better than ter schtegen
Me: how the hell do you even pronounce his name!? I don't even know!
Oct 21, 2019 8:43 PM

Sep 2008
FlowersInTheRain said:
nyugvo6 said:

It is a generic show though. I know I have only watched 20 days of anime which isn't alot around here but I feel it was a generic show. The final episode was pretty cool though.

it is generic as hell, just well done. we're talking about the name here. if you say demon slayer I can think of a dozen anime right away with demon slaying involved and won't know which one you're referring to.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Oct 21, 2019 8:46 PM

Aug 2018
I bet you watch dubbed shows... you deserve to be executed...
Oct 21, 2019 8:48 PM

Feb 2015
I have that problem with myself! I'm learning Japanese and I constantly switch between the Japanese and English title...
Oct 21, 2019 9:36 PM

May 2009
nyugvo6 said:
I didn't even know that Japanese name was the Japanese name for Demon Slayer until very recently.

I find the Japanese names harder to remember, usually, since they're essentially just nonsense syllables whose meaning I only know by external association.

That said, I usually just use whichever name I can reasonably expect my audience to understand.

When I get the choice I usually prefer English names though as I don't speak Japanese.

Also some series I have my own custom names that I prefer for them but I don't use them often because if I did that would just make me awkward and weirdly pushy.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 21, 2019 9:42 PM

Jun 2016
some shows i dont know the english name. or vice versa
Scream!
Oct 21, 2019 9:50 PM

Oct 2016
I prefer the Japanese title if possible, and especially for short titles I think most people are fine with that.

The problem is when the title is a Japanese sentence, then you need to settle on an appropriate shortened title (watamote) or an appropriate English phrase (shield hero).

Demon Slayer, or Kimetsu no Yaiba, I have trouble recalling it from either title. I call it "crappy show about the sword guy with a cute demon sister with way better animation than it deserves". But that's just me.
Oct 21, 2019 9:51 PM

Jan 2018
Chiibi said:
Eh, it's not a big deal. If I use the Japanese name and people go "wat", I just switch to the English one. xD
This is literally me lmao although i dont often get that response so yeah
Oct 21, 2019 10:00 PM
Feb 2009
In general, I default to the Japanese titles, but I find it's not a problem unless one of my friends doesn't know the Japanese title and I don't know the English/Deutsch title. (Depending on who I'm conversing with).
Oct 21, 2019 10:00 PM

Oct 2013
I usually just go with whatever names easier to remember. Especially with the shows where the titles a whole paragraph long.
Oct 21, 2019 10:04 PM

Mar 2018
it's honestly reflex, i call a show by whatever name i learned it by. i call it kimetsu no yaiba because i forget the english name, though i usually default to english names
Oct 21, 2019 10:30 PM

Feb 2019
My friends on other hand think that every anime is a hentai.
Oct 21, 2019 10:35 PM

Feb 2017
For the shorter titles or more popular ones I use the Japanese name. For example. Boku no Hero Academia or Koe no Katachi or Usagi Drop. However for shows like Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii Desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii Desu ka? and Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e I think it's easier to use their abbreviated name (SukaSuka) or the English name (Classroom of the Elite). Just my opinion, I don't mind the people who use the Japanese name as they think it's better in conversation. It's just about preference I guess.

Oct 21, 2019 10:56 PM

Aug 2017
No, I use the Japanese name too. I prefer the original in most cases.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 21, 2019 10:56 PM

Feb 2014
No
Because I am that friend.
Oct 21, 2019 11:16 PM

Apr 2018
the replies in this forum is starting to reek of pretentiousness :(
Oct 21, 2019 11:26 PM
Jul 2018
I haven't got time for the Japanese names. Since my ex Japanese girlfriend corrected me several times on how to properly pronounce 'Sakura'. Last thing I can be asked with is an anime called 'this no that'.
Oct 21, 2019 11:34 PM

Oct 2018
i dont really think it matters? its just a name. yes a lot of those names are commonly known as their english, japanese, or romaji/abbreviations. all of my friends refer to animes as either one of those

♔ 𝘴𝘦𝘵 © 𝘢𝘳𝘢𝘣𝘦𝘳𝘶
Oct 22, 2019 12:03 AM

Jan 2015
No, as long as I understand what they're saying, I don't try to act like an elitist.
Oct 22, 2019 12:05 AM

Jan 2009
who cares as long as you recognize the name/title

Oct 22, 2019 12:06 AM

May 2018
What's wrong using both names?

This is one of the purposes of a data base site like MAL - you can find any anime by it's alternative name/names.

In the beginning I preferred mainly the english names because they made more sense to me but later I discovered that sometimes they totally change the meaning.
Like Case Closed is actually Detective Conan, Ninja Scroll is Jubei's Knot Of Mysteries (or something like that), Demon Slayer is Blade Of Demon Destruction ect.

It's easier for me to identify it properly by the japanese name.

But I still use Ghost in the Shell instead of Koukaku Kidoutai tho.
Oct 22, 2019 12:23 AM

Mar 2018
Your friend is more correct tho. And I just knew Demon Slayer is official English title for Kimetsu no Yaiba. Isn't it "Blade of Demon Destruction" at first? If DS is official, the translation got butchered like always because the entire meaning for 'Yaiba' (Blade) is missing.

Oct 22, 2019 12:27 AM

Nov 2009
More like

Me: Hey, Do you like Kimetsu no yaiba
Friend: Ah yes, Demon slayer, I like it.
Me: Yeah, that's the one! :D

Not really a big deal....
Oct 22, 2019 12:33 AM

Oct 2019
If the english name is mainstream, easy to remember, and not hard for non-japanese tongues to pronounce, I use that.

I don't want to be that guy who is always politically correct but sounds so cringe.
Oct 22, 2019 12:35 AM

Oct 2019
alshu said:
What's wrong using both names?

This is one of the purposes of a data base site like MAL - you can find any anime by it's alternative name/names.

In the beginning I preferred mainly the english names because they made more sense to me but later I discovered that sometimes they totally change the meaning.
Like Case Closed is actually Detective Conan, Ninja Scroll is Jubei's Knot Of Mysteries (or something like that), Demon Slayer is Blade Of Demon Destruction ect.

It's easier for me to identify it properly by the japanese name.

But I still use Ghost in the Shell instead of Koukaku Kidoutai tho.

Yeah man, everyone knows Ghost in the Shell. You say Koukaku Kidoutai and people think you have a real nasty stutter
Oct 22, 2019 12:37 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Depends on the names really. No one says Hagane no Renkinjutsushi instead of Fullmetal Alchemist and Attack on Titan is more widely used than Shingeki no Kyojin etc, but something like Demon Slayer sounds 1000x more generic than Kimetsu no Yaiba so I'd definitely recommend the latter

But as long as people know what you're talking about it's not really an issue
Oct 22, 2019 12:44 AM

Aug 2016
I usually just prefer the japanese title although I do know both titles for most anime anyway. Only a few anime I actually call by the english title.
Oct 22, 2019 12:56 AM
Jul 2018
I prefer the Japanese name in this case because it reminds me of Slayers
Oct 22, 2019 1:01 AM

Aug 2013
actuallyaadhi said:

That's more like problem with you. I'm almost always using original titles for any foreign media.
rsc-plOct 22, 2019 1:43 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 22, 2019 1:04 AM

Jun 2016
Yes but in reverse since most struggle with foreign words while I make questionable purchases (linguistics books) and I got pretty good at it. Problems arise when a show doesn't have a popular english name. I was happy to hear that my friend had finally watched bakemonogatari only to find out that he watched noragami and couldn't tell the names apart.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Oct 22, 2019 1:24 AM

Aug 2018
Catalano said:
My only problem with my friends comes from football
Me: hey, do you like ter stegen
Friend: neuer is better than ter schtegen
Me: how the hell do you even pronounce his name!? I don't even know!
Neuer should sit on the bench for a while..
Enjoy the ride...
Oct 22, 2019 3:59 AM

Jun 2017
No, you're the problem here OP. Only normies have problem with Japanese titles and always want to stick to English
Oct 22, 2019 4:42 AM

Aug 2011
Yeah sometimes I feel like a normie by saying the english name, but it happens. The friend that you have maybe more into it so yeah. It's not a big deal, more like a good thing you have a friend who is also into it

**☾**
Oct 22, 2019 8:09 AM

Jul 2017
No problem because I don't even speak English with my friends
In Hong Kong we read those kanji 鬼滅の刃 in Cantonese lol (gwai2 mit6 zi1 jan6)

Oct 22, 2019 8:38 AM
May 2015
Me and my friends always refer to an anime by their English title but sometimes, I'll refer to them by their Japanese title like Kimetsu no Yaiba. Demon Slayer just sounds off to me for whatever reason.

There was this one time where a person asked me if I watched "Shingeki no Kyojin", and I was like "What the fuck is Shingeki no Kyojin? At the time, I just recently finished the 1st season of AoT and I didn't know the Japanese name of it. Also, everyone I know refers to that show as Attack on Titan. "Shingeki no Kyojin" is a tongue twister and makes you sound like a weeb when you say that shit.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What is your most re-watched anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

58 by IndienRock »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » How many characters from MAL top-100 do you know and what is your opinion on them?

Shizuna - 60 minutes ago

7 by Zayvex »»
3 minutes ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream?

BroDa2545 - 2 hours ago

18 by AzafuseKingTora »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Which season of Mob Psycho 100 do you guys prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 50 minutes ago

4 by Nirinbo »»
10 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

72 by Anasyub »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.