Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 20, 2019 5:18 PM
Jan 2018
So, I decided to look into the Favorite People List on MAL, and pick only the directors.
This was a pain since there were very few I could find, to the point of me getting to 150#. Anyway, it would be:

1. Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away, The Wind Rises, Castle in The Sky, etc.)
2. Makoto Shinkai (5 CM per Second, Your Name, Weathering With You, etc.)
3. Satoshi Kon (Perfect Blue, Paprika, Paranoia Agent, etc.)
3.5 (Edit: forgot). Hideaki Anno (Evangelion, Karekano, Nadia, etc.)
4. Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Carole and Tuesday, etc.)
5. Masaaki Yuasa (Devilman Crybaby, Tatami Galaxy, Kaiba, etc.)
6. Akiyuki Shinbo (Most, if not all Shaft shows)
7. Mamoru Hosoda (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, Wolf Children, etc.)
8. Hiroyuki Imaishi (Kill La Kill, Gurren Lagann, Promare, etc.)
9. Yamada Naoko (K-On, Tamako Market/Love-Story, A Silent Voice)
10. Mamoru Oshii (Ghost in The Shell, The Sky Crawlers, The Wolf Brigade, etc.)
11. Kunihiko Ikuhara (Shoujo Kakumei Utena, Penguindrum, Sarazanmai, etc.)
12. Isao Takahata (Grave of The Fireflies, Only Yesterday, The Tale of Princess Kaguya, etc.)

What are your thoughts on this? Any director you would have preferred? I would like Kenji Nakamura or Isao Takahata to be more known IMO.
Also, tell me if I missed anyone with more favorites, or got anything wrong.
TodAboTOct 20, 2019 9:37 PM
Oct 20, 2019 5:30 PM

Mar 2015
My top 5:

Miyazaki
Satoshi Kon
Shinbo
Naoko
Imaishi
The world is not beautiful. Therefore, it is.
Oct 20, 2019 5:31 PM

Jul 2019
You know there is a top People section right? Also this isn't a top but more of a most popular or something like that. Your list misses Anno Hideaki, Urobuchi Gen and probably some others. I don't really interest myself to directors, at least for now, but it gives me good expectations for shows that have the same director as one of the shows I have liked.
Oct 20, 2019 5:37 PM
Jul 2018
What? Hideaki Anno alone has over 13000 Member Favorites.
Oct 20, 2019 5:49 PM

Jan 2017
Akiyuki Shinbo
Oct 20, 2019 5:53 PM

Apr 2017
Yasuhiro Takemoto is another great director. He unfortunately passed away in the KyoAni arson attack, but he left a huge stamp on the industry. He directed a majority of their most popular titles.
Oct 20, 2019 6:15 PM

Dec 2012
Well, Satoshi Kon, Akiyuki Shinbo, and Mamoru Hosuda I would agree with, the rest either I have no interest in or they incur an "ABSOLUTELY NOT" response.

As for me, the ones that show up in my collection the most are:

1. Noriyuki Abe
2. Akiyuki Shinbo
3. Daisuke Takashima
4. Kenji Kamiyama
5. Takashi Watanabe/ Tatsuya Ishihara
6. Mitsuo Fukuda
7. Yasuhiro Takemoto
8. Naoyuki Yoshinaga
9. Hayato Date/ Takahiro Omori
10. Kazuhiro Furuhashi/ Osamu Kobashi/ Tatsuyuki Nagai

Goro Taniguchi gets an honorable mention as well.
KruszerOct 20, 2019 6:23 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Oct 20, 2019 6:22 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Understandable selection, but no mention of Junichi Sato? That's a bit disappointing, he's a good director who's worked on a couple of influential/popular titles
(first two seasons of Sailor Moon, Princess Tutu, Kaleido Star, Ojamajo Doremi, etc.)
Oct 20, 2019 9:20 PM
Jul 2018
Y. Tomino too.

Kenji Kodama should have been more popular too (City Hunter, Cats Eyes, Reporter Blues and the whole Detective Conan franchise)

and Junji Nishimura (Ranma, Windy Tales, Neo Yokio, Simoun, Urusei Yatsura, Vladlove)

Fario-P said:
Understandable selection, but no mention of Junichi Sato? That's a bit disappointing, he's a good director who's worked on a couple of influential/popular titles
(first two seasons of Sailor Moon, Princess Tutu, Kaleido Star, Ojamajo Doremi, etc.)

He also influenced Ikuhara
Oct 20, 2019 9:44 PM
Jan 2018
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
What? Hideaki Anno alone has over 13000 Member Favorites.

Whoops. I somehow forgot to add him.
He's in 4th.
Oct 20, 2019 9:46 PM
Jan 2018
BiDiGiN said:
You know there is a top People section right? Also this isn't a top but more of a most popular or something like that. Your list misses Anno Hideaki, Urobuchi Gen and probably some others. I don't really interest myself to directors, at least for now, but it gives me good expectations for shows that have the same director as one of the shows I have liked.

I mean, yeah. That's where I got the list. I should have clarified that more.
I did forget Hideaki Anno, but Urobuchi Gen is a writer, not a director.
Oct 20, 2019 10:34 PM
Jul 2018
TodAboT said:
So, I decided to look into the Favorite People List on MAL, and pick only the directors.
This was a pain since there were very few I could find, to the point of me getting to 150#. Anyway, it would be:

4. Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Carole and Tuesday, etc.)
7. Mamoru Hosoda (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, Wolf Children, etc.)
12. Isao Takahata (Grave of The Fireflies, Only Yesterday, The Tale of Princess Kaguya, etc.)

What are your thoughts on this? Any director you would have preferred? I would like Kenji Nakamura or Isao Takahata to be more known IMO.

I wish Isao Takahata was a little further up in the list.
Oct 20, 2019 10:35 PM

Feb 2019
I love yamada and shinkai's works and they are pretty well known directors.

Most underrated director would be shinji takamatsu considering he is director of some of the best comedy series out there
Gintama
danshi koukousei no nichijou
Grand blue
Oct 20, 2019 10:44 PM

Jan 2018
1) Junichi Satou (director of a 9 and a 10)
2) Satoshi Kon (director of a 9 and a 10)
3) Masaaki Yuasa (director of two 9s)

And I very, very rarely give 9s/10s.

But yeah, I'm glad to see two of my favorite directors there. I'm also pretty fond of Miyazaki's works, and Watanabe did Bebop (though I'm not big on his other stuff).

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Oct 21, 2019 8:01 AM
Jul 2018
Also, Takahata and Oshii should be in the top 3.

Number one would probably be Satoshi Kon, but Oshii did direct the greatest anime movie of all time (Patlabor 2), so it's tough.

Miyazaki is a legend, but he's not on the same level as those three.
In no way will he ever be number one. Unless we're talking about sheer fame.
Oct 21, 2019 8:40 AM

Oct 2008
Masaomi Ando is my favourite director. He directed "White album 2" and "Kuzu no Honkai" which I have rated a 9/10. He has also directed two or three other anime series that I liked.
Oct 21, 2019 9:21 AM

Oct 2010
I am a Macross fan so not seeing Kawamori there feels a bit sad, he also did great things with Aquarion and Arjuna, he really is a great director, he made mecha politics enjoyable for me. Also Anno the troll is too high.
Oct 21, 2019 9:28 AM

Feb 2010
I love Miyazaki and he's a fantastic animator but as a director he's not the best, albeit definitely top 10 still.

Shinkai shouldn't be on there, all he can do is draw photorealistic backgrounds based on actual photos. Very unimpressive overall as a director.

Satoshi Kon is great and deserves his spot in the top 5 or maybe even top 3. If only he was able to do more movies :(.

Anno is decent but probably not in my top 10 or even near it. He's mostly known for NGE, kind of a one-trick pony.

Watanabe is really amazing when he's on, but I'm still confused how he managed to direct something as utterly irrelevant and forgettable as Zankyou no Terror. But with Carole & Tuesday he seems to be back on top so I'll just call it a flue and say he definitely deserves a top 5 spot, maybe even top 3.

Yuasa is probably my favorite director so I'd give him the #1 or #2 spot on my list for sure. Not much else to say about him.

Shinbou has a cool and idiosyncratic style, but he's also a one-trick pony and kinda unflexible and he just uses his style no matter what and it isn't always a good fit for every kind of show. Different types of stories demand different directing styles and he's not sticking to one type of show but he is sticking to one type of directing so it's always hit or miss. At its best in Monogatari and the likes, he's also done a lot of very mediocre shows. I wanna give him probs for how good his style works when its at its best, but not sure he'd make it into my top 10 because of how inconsistent he is.

Hosoda is just a solid director, nothing to complain about but he also hasn't really impressed me in a lasting way or by having a particularly recognizable directing style. Possibly not in my top 10, but close to it.

Imaishi is very idiosyncratic again, very recognizable, very unique. And unlike Shinbou he knows how to always utilize his style to its full potential. I'm not gonna lie, I'm a big fan and whatever he directs I'll most likely have a blast with. Definitely in my top 10, probably top 5 even.

Yamada Naoko isn't someone who really was on my radar but based on the resume they are very skilled at directing slice of life kind of stuff. Not in my top 10 but I can see why they're up there.

Oshii is one of the most creative and innovative directors and has been for a long time. He's just really well-rounded, can probably direct literally anything and make it into a worthwile experience and also happens to have some of the most unique works under his belt. Easily in my top 5, maybe even top 3.

Ikuhara is not a director I like. He's the definition of a one-trick pony and he also gets worse and less interesting with each consecutive show he directs. They're all the same, but getting less and less memorable and thematically interesting. I can see some brilliance in him, but overall he just has one thing he does over and over again and that's just not impressive or memorable. Not even in my top 25 most likely.

Takahata is one of my favorite directors. Imo much better than Miyazaki because he's more well-rounded. Him and Oshii and Yuasa are probably the most versatile directors on that list in terms of what type of story they can direct successfully, and Takahata is really the only one to compare to Yuasa in terms of the variety of styles that he uses. His Ghibli movies are all fantastically directed and they are all so different from each other too, it's really impressive. And that's not even talking about his fantastic work in shows like Akage no Anne. Not like Miyazaki who has always very similar stories and you kinda know what to expect from every one of his movies once you're familiar with his style. So Takahata is definitely in my top 3, the only one who has a claim for my #1 spot aside from Yuasa.

Those would be my top 13 I guess (bold ones are not in the list from the OP)
1. Yuasa
2. Takahata
3. Osamu Dezaki
4. Kon
5. Watanabe
6. Oshii
7. Imaishi
8. Hara Keiichi
9. Miyazaki
10. Shinbou
11. Junichi Sato
12. Masami Hata

13. Hideaki Anno

Osamu Dezaki is just one of the GOATs. He directed Ashita no Joe, Rose of Versailles, Ie Naki Ko, Space Cobra, Oniisama e..., Takarajima, Ace wa Nerae, Black Jack and many more titles over the span of 4 decades. The only reason he's not my #1 is because he also directed some really unimpressive or outright shitty stuff like Hakugei or Ultraviolet along the way, so someone like Takahata or Yuasa who barely ever directed anything that wasn't great rank slightly higher in my book based on consistency.

Hara Keiichi is really underrated imo, probably because the bulk os his resume are Shin-chan movies and he's barely done anything on TV. He just makes one fantastically directed movie every 3 or 4 years, but between Colorful, Kappa no Coo to Natsuyasumi and Miss Hokusai I've continued to be impressed by him and I can't wait to get to see his most recent work 'Birthday Wonderland'. He always has unique and memorable movies that aren't really like any other anime movies and that's not something I can say for a lot of directors.

Junichi Sato has already been mentioned by others and he's just the ultimate director of slice of life and iyashikei titles. Not only did he do Aria, the most iconic and arguably best anime of that kind, he also did basically all the relevant iyashikei titles of the last decade or so. He's found his niche and he knows what he's doing.

Masami Hata is another personal favorite of mine who isn't very well known because he's mostly done older stuff, which are also mostly movies. And ever since the mid 80s he's just been working freelance and directing and animating random episodes for all kinds of TV shows. But for me the one decade where we got to direct Sanrio's high-budget anime movies is good enough to establish him as one of my favorite directors for movies in particular. Chirin no Suzu, Sea Prince and Fire Child and Yousei Florence are all fantastic and especially in terms of background art I've only seen a handful of other anime in my lifetime that can compare to them. If you add to that his involvement in top-tier anime as an episode director from Ashita no Joe in the 70s to the most recent Dororo, I think he deserves a spot on the list.

To be honest my choices might be a bit biased towards movie directors because those are just more memorable on average since they have more control over the whole thing and can leave their fingerprint more easily than someone directing a TV Series with a dozen episode directors, less budget and more time constraints. The only way to really stand out as a TV director for anime is to have a really strong style, like Yuasa, Imaishi or even Shinbou.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 21, 2019 1:25 PM

Aug 2018
I guess my favourite is Hideaki Anno. He has directed and created two of my favourite animes, that are NGE and Gunbuster, followed by Shinicihro Watanabe, responsible for the greater goods that are Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo.

Miyazaki is great as well, he has my all time favourite anime movie, that is Princess Mononoke, an impressive effort on direction, story telling and character creation.
Oct 21, 2019 1:30 PM
May 2019
TodAboT said:

Excellent list nothing I disagree with.
Oct 21, 2019 1:42 PM
May 2018
To be honest, no matter how Hayao Miyazaki is famous, and has beautiful movies, I still can't believe he is rated so high on THIS SITE.

And by can't believe, I mean it on level of ABSOLUTELY, INSANELY CRAZY.

If we were talking about any other site, I would understand, but MyAnimeList is first, and foremost anime site which is most focused on recent anime things, and Miyazaki is to this day, old school type of a director, so it is just, well, weird...

Oct 21, 2019 3:10 PM
Jul 2018
Pullman said:
Anno is decent but probably not in my top 10 or even near it. He's mostly known for NGE, kind of a one-trick pony.

Don't forget that he directed arguably the best romance show ever made.

If not for the serious problems with the mangaka, it could even have been a contender for best anime ever. Period.
Oct 22, 2019 4:35 AM

Jun 2017
Nothing to say really because I haven't seen many of shows directed by them. Only watched half of Naoko Yamada shows and yeah she definitely deserve her spot.

Also Shinbou isn't the actual director of recent shaft shows and I think most of the people favoriting this guy don't know this

More topics from this board

» What percentage of anime that you've seen did you pirate? ( 1 2 3 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 13

124 by H_Erifu »»
36 seconds ago

Poll: » Do you think you could fall in love with a fairy?

Shizuna - Yesterday

42 by WatchTillTandava »»
2 minutes ago

» Blackmail netorare hentais are really dumb

Kingdom-ya - Yesterday

9 by Piromysl »»
2 minutes ago

» What anime do you refuse to watch since you have already read the source material?

Kushna - 52 minutes ago

4 by tchitchouan »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you think we should have more realistic anime?

ImNotAnOtaku1 - Apr 14

44 by Piromysl »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.