Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 8, 2019 8:10 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Raw is up on Netflix Japan.

We got some CGI but on most parts, I think it's done well for this anime. There's a bit of violence in this but I had expected it like from the manga. One thing noticable about this show is the particular character chemistry between difference species. I think that's going to be a big selling point in the series to see how characters develop.

Seems like a solid start.
Oct 8, 2019 8:20 AM
Jul 2019
Beastar's mangaka, Itagaki Paru, is the daughter of Baki the Grappler's mangaka Itagaki Keisuke. She's more camera-shy than her dad though.
https://i.imgur.com/so3ZXsr.jpg

Apparently she'd tried to keep her family relationship secret for some time because she didn't want to be seen being successful due to nepotism.
(Both Baki and Beastar run in the same magazine, Weekly Shounen Champion.)
phil2288Oct 8, 2019 8:26 AM
Oct 8, 2019 9:53 AM
Jul 2017
phil2288 said:
Beastar's mangaka, Itagaki Paru, is the daughter of Baki the Grappler's mangaka Itagaki Keisuke. She's more camera-shy than her dad though.
https://i.imgur.com/so3ZXsr.jpg

Apparently she'd tried to keep her family relationship secret for some time because she didn't want to be seen being successful due to nepotism.
(Both Baki and Beastar run in the same magazine, Weekly Shounen Champion.)

Wow really? I had no idea. I love both of their works. That’s pretty cool.
Oct 8, 2019 12:36 PM

Apr 2015
I'm so excited !!

But I don't wanna watch it RAW, so I'll wait for the fan translation first.

BTW, I know the opening is played at the end so I gave myself a full taste of it and ...

Needless to say, I'm giving it OP of this season already.
Oct 8, 2019 1:26 PM

Jun 2017
I really think they did a good job as far as CG goes, and I am enjoying it so far! OP fits very well too!
Oct 8, 2019 5:16 PM
Jun 2016
Honestly, I don't know what to think. Though I really like the voices, animation and music, theyreally lept through a LOT of stuff just to fit THAT scene (you know the one) in the end of the first episode. That said, I'm just as excited anyway. Can't wait for the OP video!!
Oct 8, 2019 8:25 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Glad that the 10 min PV wasn't actually the first 10 mins of the series. Luckily, the pacing is slower than that. It's still kinda fast (half a volumes), but it works. Even if they keep this pacing, I can't really see a good place to end the series if it's one cour. If it was two cour, then there's a perfect place to end it.

Adaptation wise, this is pretty good! The voice acting and directing's really good. The CG animation's quite nice too. There's not much in this episode that utilizes the advantage of CG like how Land of the Lustrous did it. Hopefully we see more of that in later episodes. But the composition/storyboarding is quite good.
Oct 8, 2019 9:47 PM

Apr 2015
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Glad that the 10 min PV wasn't actually the first 10 mins of the series. Luckily, the pacing is slower than that. It's still kinda fast (half a volumes), but it works. Even if they keep this pacing, I can't really see a good place to end the series if it's one cour. If it was two cour, then there's a perfect place to end it.

Adaptation wise, this is pretty good! The voice acting and directing's really good. The CG animation's quite nice too. There's not much in this episode that utilizes the advantage of CG like how Land of the Lustrous did it. Hopefully we see more of that in later episodes. But the composition/storyboarding is quite good.

My guess is that they clearly want to adapt the first 6 books just to clear the Meteorite Festival out of the way and obviously tease the next arc. (Which I don't know what it's about since I only follow the actual manga release here in my territory).
Therefore, some of the side character chapters will probably get cut from the anime which helps ... but sadly we probably won't get that nice chapter with the rooster ...
mar1217Oct 8, 2019 9:51 PM
Oct 8, 2019 10:11 PM

Dec 2018
Holy shit, Studio Orange, you have just mind blown me.

Excellent first episode, loved the jazzy music, stunning visuals and direction and I currently can't wait till next Wednesday. That's a first episode done right, 9/10 instantly.
Oct 9, 2019 2:51 AM

Oct 2017
Why isn't this available for binge?
Oct 9, 2019 12:39 PM
Feb 2015
Shonen-Heartful said:
I wish they would have post-processed the voices so that they'd sound more "alien" and animal-like, because so far the voice actors sounded too human to be believable animals. I guess it'd be too difficult to post-process everything since this anime has only animals but still... They could find some way out, though - in video games it's easier to achieve the appropriate voices for animals because of games having less voice-work - Solatorobo, for example. As an option, they could have made two versions of this anime: one with voices and no post-processing and one without any voices (!) but with stylized subtitles. I think that would be an interesting experiment and would fit this anime perfectly.

Anyways, it seemed like a regular drama type of anime and if you take away the animals - it's nothing too special. I'll have to drop... I'm glad someone else enjoys it.

Oh, and CGI seemed ok.

I'm just going to be real with you, this show is going to have one of the best stories of the year. You're judging it waaaaay too quickly
Oct 9, 2019 2:56 PM

Apr 2015
Shonen-Heartful said:
I wish they would have post-processed the voices so that they'd sound more "alien" and animal-like, because so far the voice actors sounded too human to be believable animals. I guess it'd be too difficult to post-process everything since this anime has only animals but still... They could find some way out, though - in video games it's easier to achieve the appropriate voices for animals because of games having less voice-work - Solatorobo, for example. As an option, they could have made two versions of this anime: one with voices and no post-processing and one without any voices (!) but with stylized subtitles. I think that would be an interesting experiment and would fit this anime perfectly.

Anyways, it seemed like a regular drama type of anime and if you take away the animals - it's nothing too special. I'll have to drop... I'm glad someone else enjoys it.

Oh, and CGI seemed ok.

1. What a weid complaint to have honestly ? I mean, did you saw someone make the same comment about any work relating to antropomorphic animasl in the history of this media ? Not that it wouldn't be an interesting take but it's just weird ...

2. The fact that you tried to judge the whole run on the first 100m is kinda hasty to say the least. No, replacing them with humans would completly undermine thematics that were to be brought for the next few episodes. The story just wouldn't work anymore.

I mean, shame for you I guess ...
Oct 9, 2019 3:21 PM
Feb 2015
Shonen-Heartful said:
mar1217 said:

1. What a weid complaint to have honestly ? I mean, did you saw someone make the same comment about any work relating to antropomorphic animasl in the history of this media ? Not that it wouldn't be an interesting take but it's just weird ...

2. The fact that you tried to judge the whole run on the first 100m is kinda hasty to say the least. No, replacing them with humans would completly undermine thematics that were to be brought for the next few episodes. The story just wouldn't work anymore.

1. If it is an anime about animals, they must sound like animals. Not much to discuss here... If it was something like One Piece where animal characters are just 1-2 characters - they'd be fine without post-processing. But if you're making an anime all about animals - yeah, you need to find some way to make them sound that way. I cannot take it seriously when these animals all sound like regular anime characters wearing animal suits.

2. No comment. Replace them with humans and it'll be the same thing - yes.

Don't expect me to read your next message, it will be ignored. Thanks.

botomonogatari said:

I'm just going to be real with you, this show is going to have one of the best stories of the year. You're judging it waaaaay too quickly

No offense but I can't take you seriously if you have Adolf Hitler in your "favorite people" section... you kind of need to think about your credibility and presentability to be taken seriously.

LMAO this guy. This guy embodies MAL perfectly
Oct 9, 2019 3:25 PM
Feb 2015
Shonen-Heartful said:
mar1217 said:

1. If it is an anime about animals, they must sound like animals. Not much to discuss here... If it was something like One Piece where animal characters are just 1-2 characters - they'd be fine without post-processing. But if you're making an anime all about animals - yeah, you need to find some way to make them sound that way. I cannot take it seriously when these animals all sound like regular anime characters wearing animal suits.

botomonogatari said:

No offense but I can't take you seriously if you have Adolf Hitler in your "favorite people" section... you kind of need to think about your credibility and presentability prior to "being real". Not even mentioning your breathtaking "About me"...

You're a clown, the entire circus, actually
Oct 9, 2019 4:03 PM

Feb 2016
CG is jarring, it almost has the slow framerate as Ajin, probably worse. I also don't understand why they tried blending 2D with CG at the same time, it just doesn't work.

CG is only good when you don't notice it. I'm sorry, but even if the plot is supposedly good (according to the manga readers) I don't think I'll enjoy the ride with such a disastrous animation.

Land of the lustrous had a more fluid CG animation than this...
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Oct 9, 2019 4:06 PM

Apr 2015
Shonen-Heartful said:
mar1217 said:

botomonogatari said:

No offense but I can't take you seriously if you have Adolf Hitler in your "favorite people" section... you kind of need to think about your credibility and presentability prior to "being real". Not even mentioning your breathtaking "About me"...

I'll simply say that if you can't take the fair criticism I gave to your judgement (specially the 2nd part) then it'd be best for you to just go elsewhere.

Not like it seems you were even open to fairly debate anyway, you just go reiterating your point without refuting mine which is clearly telling of your character.

Oct 9, 2019 4:29 PM
Jun 2015
I have some things to say about this episode, I think this is a medium adaptation

I didn't like they to cut the whole chapter 1, even the discussions about prejudice between and carnivores and herbivores lasted no more than 3 dialogues, and less in-depth, is one of the most important topics of manga. As far as Chapter 1 is about Legosi, he was supposed to be the most important focus and to stick to his point of view, here it does not fully exploit it, as just summarizing conflicts, I found that quite disappointing.

The good part is that they had a nice way of introducing Haru, but honestly every narration about the universe and Legosi itself was very sloppy, if ep1 focused only on haru and Legosi (during chapter 1), it would be great.
Oct 9, 2019 5:19 PM
Feb 2015
HereticHunter said:
CG is jarring, it almost has the slow framerate as Ajin, probably worse. I also don't understand why they tried blending 2D with CG at the same time, it just doesn't work.

CG is only good when you don't notice it. I'm sorry, but even if the plot is supposedly good (according to the manga readers) I don't think I'll enjoy the ride with such a disastrous animation.

Wouldn't exactly say the CG is bad, in fact compared to garbage in the past, this is fantastic, but I agree with it not being on par with HnK.
Oct 9, 2019 5:21 PM
Feb 2015
Gabisu said:
I have some things to say about this episode, I think this is a medium adaptation

I didn't like they to cut the whole chapter 1, even the discussions about prejudice between and carnivores and herbivores lasted no more than 3 dialogues, and less in-depth, is one of the most important topics of manga. As far as Chapter 1 is about Legosi, he was supposed to be the most important focus and to stick to his point of view, here it does not fully exploit it, as just summarizing conflicts, I found that quite disappointing.

The good part is that they had a nice way of introducing Haru, but honestly every narration about the universe and Legosi itself was very sloppy, if ep1 focused only on haru and Legosi (during chapter 1), it would be great.

This is an adaptation, unfortunately things are going to be left out and changed up. However, I thought the changes were fine, and people who haven't read the manga will enjoy the show anyways if they can get past the 3D/furry hate.
Oct 9, 2019 6:02 PM

May 2018
CG looks way better than I expected, frames are a bit choppy at certain points.
A lot of scenes where cut/changed, but almost all dialogue remained the same, personally I love it, thanks Studio Orange for not ruining this, hope I can keep saying this by the time the seasons finished.
Voicing was good, but will need to get used to it, it doesn't have any animalistic quirks as I had in my head while reading the manga, then again, I could see that getting annoying over time.
Overall really good, very high potential, looking forward to more.
Oct 9, 2019 6:29 PM

Feb 2016
botomonogatari said:
HereticHunter said:

Wouldn't exactly say the CG is bad, in fact compared to garbage in the past, this is fantastic

Artstyle and Texture are stunning I give you that, but the problem with overall Anime CG is the movements physics (let alone the choppy framerate). It feels way more unnatural than regular 2D animation, even HnK had this problem, but the charm of it was elsewhere. (There are very few exceptions for CG, like in Etotama were its a complete different world and artstyle and it works well)
~Blackwall
Oct 9, 2019 6:52 PM

Nov 2013
ep 1 was interesting, i really liked how haru/legosi's reflection was shown in the sink and mirror... the soundtrack is so good and the cgi is pretty nice considering that it's on a tv budget, I can't wait to see the opening visuals too.
Oct 9, 2019 7:28 PM
Feb 2019
Should i get used of it? Because however i watch this, i imagine all of them as a human being. I imagine all of their human faces based on their each personality. IE, i always imagine Louis The Deer as an 'ikemen' protagonist from shoujo manga. Somehow, i feel weird because of it. I am okay with animal personification but it seems on another level.
Oct 9, 2019 9:47 PM
Jul 2017
I honestly can’t see why cgi is such a big deal for some people. Doesn’t bother me in the slightest. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Oct 9, 2019 11:27 PM

Feb 2019
Visuals are fantastic, another great work from studio Orange.

But I really dislike that they changed/cut a lot of scenes from the manga. We would have gotten a better portrayal of the characters, especially Louis and Legosi. But the anime still did a good job doing that.
Oct 9, 2019 11:50 PM

Mar 2019
Expected nothing and got everything...

PS. im not a fan of CGI at all, but in this case is different, attractive...
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Oct 10, 2019 1:36 AM

Sep 2017
Quite nice. At first I thought it would just be a metaphor of conforming students vs. nonconforming students, but then it seems that we got herbivore acting as the bad ones and the carnivore acting as the good ones too. It is also interesting to see complicated dynamic between social hierarchy vs. biological/physical hierarchy.

I'm looking forward to see how the worldbuilding is gonna be developed. I hope it will be more than just typical teen drama (bullying, etc.) with a furry appearance. The CG animation is pretty good.
Oct 10, 2019 2:44 AM
Nov 2015
The thing that make me interested in this anime is psychological theme.

I wonder what will the plot will pull later.
Oct 10, 2019 2:47 AM
Nov 2015
botomonogatari said:
Shonen-Heartful said:

No offense but I can't take you seriously if you have Adolf Hitler in your "favorite people" section... you kind of need to think about your credibility and presentability to be taken seriously.

LMAO this guy. This guy embodies MAL perfectly

Is someone talk about real world people to topic this is trash SJW as always.
Oct 10, 2019 5:49 AM
Apr 2016
People sure are quick to judge. As a manga reader, I think this is a great adaptation and the first ep is awesome.
Oct 10, 2019 6:03 AM
Jan 2018
HereticHunter said:
botomonogatari said:

Wouldn't exactly say the CG is bad, in fact compared to garbage in the past, this is fantastic

Artstyle and Texture are stunning I give you that, but the problem with overall Anime CG is the movements physics (let alone the choppy framerate). It feels way more unnatural than regular 2D animation, even HnK had this problem, but the charm of it was elsewhere. (There are very few exceptions for CG, like in Etotama were its a complete different world and artstyle and it works well)

if i recall HNK had direction issues on one of the episodes with the shell when they try and get to Phos i watched an analysis of that episode and it pointed out a scene issue where the distances don't match up

like in once scene an object is seen to be closer but the next scene has it far away
Oct 10, 2019 6:09 AM
Jan 2018
apart from netflix japan what platform will it be streaming on outside or is it one of those where we have to wait
Oct 10, 2019 6:42 AM

Jan 2009
Shonen-Heartful said:
I wish they would have post-processed the voices so that they'd sound more "alien" and animal-like, because so far the voice actors sounded too human to be believable animals.

I think the voices would start sound very jarring after a while if they would incorporate animal-like speech modulation to every character. Many films and shows about talking animals didn't bother either.
Oct 10, 2019 7:21 AM
Anime Cat

Aug 2017

The story is fairly good. Characteristics shown very well. Interaction of carnivores and herbivores is so interesting. And so many realistic social life appeared. Hope this anime scored at least 8.00 in the end of this season.

Oct 10, 2019 7:25 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Judging by appearances, bullying, identity crisis. This show starting off with strong topics.

Directing is nice, there a lot of stylistic choices that i have to think about for its meaning.
Oct 10, 2019 7:57 AM

Sep 2010
this is surprisingly good - think I might even go and read the manga
Oct 10, 2019 8:07 AM
Jun 2015
The characters are nice, the CGI fits well, but the fuckin school setting bores me. Why not do this in a big town like zootopia only keep the 1940s setting. Still better than any of the garbage that's to come.
Oct 10, 2019 8:58 AM

Oct 2018
This is already my anime of this season
Oct 10, 2019 9:11 AM

Dec 2017
I didn't know what to expect at all, but this episode got me really excited! It looks super unique in both concept and art style, honestly I'm hyped to follow this anime
Oct 10, 2019 9:36 AM
Jul 2019
pretty interesting, I think the cg is done well and the op is awesome. I have high expectations.
Oct 10, 2019 9:51 AM
Sep 2015
I thought this is gonna be BL. Now it's hetero it has to be ten times more valuable than just a metaphor for bullying/racism.
Oct 10, 2019 9:55 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well it's certainly good CGI by anime standards, but the framerate is still too low. Compared to what we're used to in western media (like Disney for example), anime still has a long way to go to catch up

That aside, it's a pretty interesting show already. Quite unique
Oct 10, 2019 10:08 AM

Aug 2013
This was an interesting start. I was not planning to watch this but I'm glad that I gave it a go.

Oct 10, 2019 10:16 AM
Jun 2016
I've always called this a adult zootopia anime :> More realistic and closer to probably how a anthro animal world would work :> But I still love it.
Oct 10, 2019 10:26 AM

Oct 2013
That was a really well polished first episode, sasuga studio Orange.
Oct 10, 2019 10:36 AM

Nov 2017
The framerate is scuffed but other than that it's absolutely awesome.

(Never thought I'd use cgi and awesome in the same sentence)
Oct 10, 2019 10:46 AM
Apr 2018
Seems solid so far, the CG animation takes a bit to get used to. Btw why is this Louis guy so popular when he is openly species-ist.
Oct 10, 2019 10:57 AM

Apr 2019
I'm going into this totally unspoiled, so other than "Studio Orange" and "CGI" I didn't know what to expect.

CGI: Really good use of it, without getting into the way of the story. I certainly disagree with @HereticHunter that "CG is only good when you don't notice it". I couldn't care less how much it is noticeable or not, as long as it appeals to me. And isn't itself the story, as in so many Hollywood action/superhero flicks. Both requirements hold. Effects like the switch to white oulines with red blood still visible in the dark, reflections and shadows, and dollie shots are strong points of 3D-CGI. They were all present and used well without becoming gimmicky. And yup, choppy frame rate and stills are an issue, this isn't on unlimited budget obviously. But then, I rated Berserk (1997) quite high, so that isn't a show stopper for at least myself if the story is good.

Story/Characters: Too early to say for most of it. The one sequence I fell in love with is that bunny from 18:18 (toilet), 18:27 (distorted reflection), dialog with own mirror image. This had Nana Komatsu vibe all over it, in both terms of realism and character design. More of this, please.

Oct 10, 2019 11:07 AM

Feb 2016
inim said:
I'm going into this totally unspoiled, so other than "Studio Orange" and "CGI" I didn't know what to expect.

CGI: Really good use of it, without getting into the way of the story. I certainly disagree with @HereticHunter that "CG is only good when you don't notice it". I couldn't care less how much it is noticeable or not, as long as it appeals to me. And isn't itself the story, as in so many Hollywood action/superhero flicks. Both requirements hold. Effects like the switch to white oulines with red blood still visible in the dark, reflections and shadows, and dollie shots are strong points of 3D-CGI. They were all present and used well without becoming gimmicky. And yup, choppy frame rate and stills are an issue, this isn't on unlimited budget obviously.

You may have a very stylish visuals and all that, I give it credit for that (The pitch black with white lines was cool), but CG no matter how pretty it looks, it's still jarring if the movement physics doesn't look natural (and looks specially off when you try to blend them with 2D at the same time)

But then again, we all have different opinions. It is appealing to you, it isn't to me.
~Blackwall
Oct 10, 2019 11:19 AM

Apr 2019
HereticHunter said:
inim said:
CGI: Really good use of it, without getting into the way of the story. I certainly disagree with @HereticHunter that "CG is only good when you don't notice it". (...)
You may have a very stylish visuals and all that, I give it credit for that (The pitch black with white lines was cool), but CG no matter how pretty it looks, it's still jarring if the movement physics doesn't look natural (and looks specially off when you try to blend them with 2D at the same time)

But then again, we all have different opinions. It is appealing to you, it isn't to me.
Of course, there are scenes which have uncanny physics, such as the flowerbed scene at 10:14, to give an example. It's just that I wouldn't call this bad CGI if you have to rush scenes because of budget. My point was that there is nothing bad in Beastars because of CGI as a production vehicle. Lack of funds is independent of that, imho, and would hurt 2D animation to an equal degree.

Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Beastars Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2019

112 by Kayarbee70 »»
Apr 10, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Beastars Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2019

178 by Kayarbee70 »»
Apr 10, 7:27 PM

Poll: » Beastars Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 25, 2019

199 by chittripper1 »»
Feb 18, 8:06 AM

Poll: » Beastars Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2019

114 by Kvistis »»
Jan 11, 12:30 AM

Poll: » Beastars Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2019

115 by Kvistis »»
Jan 10, 11:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.