Forum Settings
Forums

The stereotypical neckbeard couchpotato model of the anime fan has been broken!

New
Oct 8, 2019 1:21 PM
Aug 2015
On oct. 5 Isreal Adesanya the Last Stylebender became the undisputed UFC middleweight champion of the world right after his groundbreaking walkout featuring a choreographed dance featuring hand signs from Naruto and his background dancers naruto running backstage.

He is the first known weeaboo MMA champion who has the flair to inspire our kind and break the stereotype.
As his moniker is a tribute to the avatar that inspired him he is not afraid to let the world know who he is and we should all aspire to be as open.

So, my fellow comrades, how do you feel about this paradigm shift that we are seeing in the mainstream toward accepting the anime community as something to be admired, and does Isreal Adesanya the last stylebender inspire you as well?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 8, 2019 1:26 PM

Jan 2009
muh anime is going mainstream! but muh censorship fears lingers /s
Oct 8, 2019 1:33 PM

Oct 2015
I don't know, plenty of celebrities has opened up on liking anime, if Samuel L. Jackson, Keanu Reeves, and Kanye West likes anime, it probably cool.

And hentai too

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Oct 8, 2019 1:36 PM

Jul 2012
In terms of celebrity anime fans he's pretty low tier. This is far from a paradigm shift and most people who hear his name will just ask "literally who?" He's not even the first MMA fighter, like Ronda Rousey is much more famous and she's well known as a huge DBZ and Pokemon fan.
Oct 8, 2019 1:38 PM
Aug 2015
-Lofn- said:
I don't know, plenty of celebrities has opened up on liking anime, if Samuel L. Jackson, Keanu Reeves, and Kanye West likes anime, it probably cool.

And hentai too
Thats cool too, but my point here is that an anime fan can become an athlete at the highest level while attributing part of what inspired them to anime. While Sammy there is an awesome dude he's not a UFC Champ.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 8, 2019 1:41 PM

Apr 2016
I've never met anyone who has thought that anime was "for neckbeards". They just go "oh, cool".
Oct 8, 2019 1:43 PM
Aug 2015
GamerDLM said:
In terms of celebrity anime fans he's pretty low tier. This is far from a paradigm shift and most people who hear his name will just ask "literally who?" He's not even the first MMA fighter like Ronda Rousey is much more famous and she's well known as a huge DBZ and Pokemon fan.
There is also Stephen wonderboy Thompson in the MMA world who is vocal about DBZ but neither are current champs. Isreal as the champ will only gain more popularity from here on with a nod to avatar the last Airbender in his name. There can be no mistaking what he is about.
Oct 8, 2019 1:43 PM

Nov 2016
I mean samuel l jackson has been enjoying his hentai for quite a while now keanu reeves and micheal b jordan have tweeted about their love for the medium and elon musk has attained first tier weebism when he had is edward twitter avatar
Oct 8, 2019 1:47 PM
Aug 2015
JoyBoy_316 said:
I mean samuel l jackson has been enjoying his hentai for quite a while now keanu reeves and micheal b jordan have tweeted about their love for the medium and elon musk has attained first tier weebism when he had is edward twitter avatar
This post is about the superior athleticism that a weeb can have and not just celeb factor. but hats tipped to MBJ
Oct 8, 2019 1:52 PM

Nov 2016
ie_above11D said:
JoyBoy_316 said:
This post is about the superior athleticism that a weeb can have and not just celeb factor. but hats tipped to MBJ

Yeah they aren't athletes but you wouldn't call any of them couchpotatoes especially micheal and keanu
Oct 8, 2019 2:01 PM

Sep 2019
Absolutely not. Naruto is on the list of anime you can watch without being made fun of. People who watch the kind of crap you have as your forum avatar are still to be considered losers and I'm afraid that's not changing any time soon, or ever really.

Sorry, kiddo, but mainstream anime being somewhat accepted is already a miracle in itself. Don't get ahead of yourself.

I am a god

Even though I'm a man of god

My whole life in the hand of god

So y'all better quit playing with god

Oct 8, 2019 2:08 PM

Sep 2018
There's a guy called Micheal B. Jordan, he played Killmonger in Black Panther, and Adonis in Creed.
Well...you should just read this interview: https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/michael-b-jordan-interview/
Jolyne Kuujou + Steel Ball Run Universe = Billie Eillish
Oct 8, 2019 2:14 PM

May 2018
yes, kim Kardashian has once tweeted "I am obsessed with anime" and that another time when she dyed her hair pink she said she was inspired by Zero Two...

if kim k is promoting anime, that's when you know anime is getting mainstream and kim definitely does not promote this idea of neckbeards liking anime
Oct 8, 2019 2:21 PM

May 2018
But I am sereotypical neckbeard couchpotato. I don't want this model to be broken!

Also Naruto?
This guy haven't even reached the elitist phase...decades away from cynicism and self loathing.
Oct 8, 2019 9:54 PM
Aug 2015
alshu said:
But I am sereotypical neckbeard couchpotato. I don't want this model to be broken!

Also Naruto?
This guy haven't even reached the elitist phase...decades away from cynicism and self loathing.
Thankfully most of us are not like you and, being an elite myself, I still say naruto is one of the best. Also, for all we know isreal has seen more anime that any of us.
Oct 9, 2019 12:03 AM

May 2018
ie_above11D said:
Thankfully most of us are not like you

Naaah, this is the inevitable path.
Do you remember what happened to biggest celebrity anime fan - Robin Williams?

ie_above11D said:
I still say naruto is one of the best

It's not on the list with the elitist shows thus - no. (Rock Lee no Seishun Full-Power Ninden is on the list tho, maybe you mixed up those?)

ie_above11D said:
for all we know isreal has seen more anime that any of us.

There are four phases (the last being the self loathing and suicidal one).
This guy is in the first - he even seems happy.
The count doesn't matter, the level of depression is the true measure.
alshuOct 9, 2019 12:21 AM
Oct 9, 2019 12:05 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
this guy's victory will singlehandedly put a stop to every meme and all ridicule that comes more internally than externally, for certain

Oct 9, 2019 12:12 AM
Mar 2018
ie_above11D said:
alshu said:

Also Naruto?
Thankfully most of us are not like you and, being an elite myself, I still say naruto is one of the best. Also, for all we know isreal has seen more anime that any of us.

You are not an elitist at all.               
Oct 9, 2019 12:30 AM

Jul 2017
this fat neckbeard otaku stereotype doesn't exist where i live, or atleast i never met them .-.
on the contrary most of my friends that i go to the gym with are anime fans and are very social people and most of my normie friends don't really take care of their health,
maybe its just me but you get the point.
Oct 9, 2019 3:34 AM

Feb 2019
Since dumbbell nan kilo moteru has been aired, anime fans are becoming more and more muscular day by day. So it's just normal seeing some anime fan rocking UFC.
Oct 9, 2019 3:45 AM
Jul 2018
ie_above11D said:

Thats cool too, but my point here is that an anime fan can become an athlete at the highest level while attributing part of what inspired them to anime. While Sammy there is an awesome dude he's not a UFC Champ.

Martins Licis, the guy who won World's Strongest Man 2019, was asked what is his favorite cartoon in a post event interview and he said it was One Punch Man.

Found the video where he says it. Later on in this same interview he also quotes a phrase from TTGL. The guy's a monster and also a true weeb.
removed-userOct 9, 2019 4:49 AM
Oct 9, 2019 5:06 AM

Oct 2015
Just gonna digress, and broach my fam @FMmatron for his hot bod too.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Oct 9, 2019 5:13 AM

Nov 2016
-Lofn- said:
Just gonna digress, and broach my fam @FMmatron for his hot bod too.

Or take a look at Larry Wheels or Terron Beckham, these guys are monsters.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 9, 2019 5:23 AM

Oct 2008
I new that Keanu Reeves, Robin Williams, Samuel L. Jackson and other celebrities enjoyed anime. So I don't know if I was inspired, but I do feel less geeky then before I new about them.
Oct 9, 2019 5:39 AM

Jun 2015
Who is this ugly cunt and why should I care.
Oct 9, 2019 5:48 AM
Mar 2018
Am I the only one who has to ask to describe it when someone says something is for neckbeards?
I understand the old stereotype of it being for losers and geeks

The next is assumption about japanese culture, but here it goes -
There is of course, a lot of anime airing in Japan all the time, alot of japanese people are aware of it, though they kind of fall into 3 categories on it
‐ "normie" type people who really like one or two series, but never really follow the industry or seasonals

‐ those that despise the medium for a multitude of reasons - unoriginal ideas, obsessive fanbase etc and they will avoid it as much as possible

‐ the "otaku" that always watch anime and often keep up with lots of shows in a season, the "atlas" of the industry that will often buy merch. These people are seen as obsessive and immature, trying to put as much of a barrier between themselves and reality as possible

I am thinking the neckbeard thing is described by the third quite a bit, it's the closest to the stereotype. I'd say take celebrity fans with a pinch of salt, some only like one series while others have a laundry list of favourites, it still doesn't change how people see the average fan though
Oct 9, 2019 5:49 AM

May 2014
I think it was broken quite a while ago now. I think most people know by now that not ALL anime fans/game fans etc~ are that stereotype. I'm sure plenty of people who fit the stereotype still exist though.
Oct 9, 2019 6:03 AM

Feb 2010
wow, people still care what celebrities say?
That's sad.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 9, 2019 6:22 AM

Aug 2018
Jokah said:
Absolutely not. Naruto is on the list of anime you can watch without being made fun of. People who watch the kind of crap you have as your forum avatar are still to be considered losers and I'm afraid that's not changing any time soon, or ever really.

Oof.

Anyways. No person IRL actually criticizes others for watching anime, even if their taste is garbage.
The biggest reaction you might get from someone is "What do you watch?" "I saw that one too!"

Also OP's assumption that anime players are fat losers (ok not that last part if you like anime you are a loser since 99% of anime is garbage therefore your taste is inexistent) is kinda... pathetic.
Some girl back in the day got roasted into oblivion a couple of years back then for saying the same about gaming and i don't see how this is any different.

I never lie on the internet. What's the point of it...
the chinese noodles ad is an anime and avatar isn't!
triggered

Check out my taste and my profile.
Oct 9, 2019 10:58 AM
Aug 2015
Steiner1411 said:
ie_above11D said:

Says the dude with only 1400 episodes under his belt. If you have over 9,000 episodes that include LTGH then you are elite.
Oct 9, 2019 11:06 AM
Mar 2018
ie_above11D said:
Steiner1411 said:

Says the dude with only 1400 episodes under his belt. If you have over 9,000 episodes that include LTGH then you are elite.

But if you have fairy tail, mha , clannad , gintama , naruto , one piece as your favorites then you are not an elite, you are normal like us
Oct 9, 2019 11:10 AM
Aug 2015
alshu said:
ie_above11D said:
Thankfully most of us are not like you

Naaah, this is the inevitable path.
Do you remember what happened to biggest celebrity anime fan - Robin Williams?

ie_above11D said:
I still say naruto is one of the best

It's not on the list with the elitist shows thus - no. (Rock Lee no Seishun Full-Power Ninden is on the list tho, maybe you mixed up those?)

ie_above11D said:
for all we know isreal has seen more anime that any of us.

There are four phases (the last being the self loathing and suicidal one).
This guy is in the first - he even seems happy.
The count doesn't matter, the level of depression is the true measure.
The only inevitable outcome of watching large quantities of anime is a deeper understanding of Japanese culture. To insinuate that it could lead to depression or self-loathing is merely a lie you tell yourself to avoid becoming something better. I've only watched half as much anime content lengthwise as you but i see no trend in my mental scape toward negativity. The opposite is true in fact, I feel more self-realized and have a more positive outlook on life than I did before. I suppose the disparity between experiences must stem from our choice of content.
Oct 9, 2019 11:14 AM

Jun 2015
Careful ecchi lovers! Censorship is coming! Nothing is sacred anymore once the commoners get their hands on a niche culture.
Read Toriko!
Oct 9, 2019 11:16 AM
Aug 2015
Steiner1411 said:
ie_above11D said:

But if you have fairy tail, mha , clannad , gintama , naruto , one piece as your favorites then you are not an elite, you are normal like us
let me be clear, I don't consider myself to be an elitist, I just have reached an elite level of anime watched and knowledge of anime in general.
Oct 9, 2019 11:21 AM
Jul 2018
bet this mf even hasnt watched nge 20 times yet, fake fan
Oct 9, 2019 11:33 AM

Dec 2012
Naruto is entry-level gateway anime though, which explains the lack of a fully developed neckbeard.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Oct 9, 2019 11:43 AM

Oct 2010
Why am I validated by a guy who plays a sport I don't even watch?
Oct 9, 2019 11:53 AM

May 2009
Frankly speaking, this stereotype was broken a long time ago, but it persists anyway, like most stereotypes, which are wrong and abundantly in evidence that they're wrong but persist anyway because people either haven't run into that evidence in their personal lives or just don't really care enough to not be dicks about stereotyping others.

FYI we already had figure skaters using Yuri On Ice music.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 9, 2019 12:00 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Frankly speaking, this stereotype was broken a long time ago, but it persists anyway, like most stereotypes, which are wrong and abundantly in evidence that they're wrong but persist anyway because people either haven't run into that evidence in their personal lives or just don't really care enough to not be dicks about stereotyping others.

FYI we already had figure skaters using Yuri On Ice music.

This fandom revels in stereotyping each other and drawing bullshit conclusions based off of poor association, what the fuck are you talking about with people not knowing anything else in their lives and the stereotype is broken anyway, the problem mostly persists from people who we have to interact with frequently, the external perception is defined more by the internal presentation than anything else

you'll catch shit like this that basically tells you what your entire life is like, what your stances on certain topics are, and everything about you just based on the fucking avatar you use with most other anime fans, no matter how inapplicable it is

then people wonder why people cultivate this image whenever we're the ones promoting this image more often than anybody, just because of how we accuse each other of dumb shit, the type of shit people meme about, et cetera

most people don't even give a fuck until they're the ones being met with it
ManabanOct 9, 2019 12:03 PM

Oct 9, 2019 12:12 PM

May 2018
ie_above11D said:

The only inevitable outcome of watching large quantities of anime is a deeper understanding of Japanese culture.

Nope.
You start to think that but it's no true.
For example: ninjas don't like ramen, in reality they prefer teriaki.

ie_above11D said:
To insinuate that it could lead to depression or self-loathing is merely a lie you tell yourself to avoid becoming something better.

There are four phases.
1. Curiosity.
You challenge yourself to watch all the good animes - Naruto, DBZ, Black Clover, the classics...but at the end you see that still nobody respects you.
2. Elitism.
You suddenly learn that there was a secret challenge - the elitist list.
After completing it actually everybody hates you and even worst other elitist also hate you (because the one thing the elitist hate more is other elitists).
3. Embracing stupidity.
You are already addicted so you start to watch complete trash and pretend to enjoy it ironically.
4. You realize the you actually wasted your time and money.

ie_above11D said:
I've only watched half as much anime content lengthwise as you but i see no trend in my mental scape toward negativity. The opposite is true in fact, I feel more self-realized and have a more positive outlook on life than I did before.

Denial or you are strait up lying?

ie_above11D said:

I suppose the disparity between experiences must stem from our choice of content.

Yeah I skipped on the elitist list.
Oct 9, 2019 2:22 PM
Aug 2015
alshu said:
ie_above11D said:

The only inevitable outcome of watching large quantities of anime is a deeper understanding of Japanese culture.

Nope.
You start to think that but it's no true.
For example: ninjas don't like ramen, in reality they prefer teriaki.

ie_above11D said:
To insinuate that it could lead to depression or self-loathing is merely a lie you tell yourself to avoid becoming something better.

There are four phases.
1. Curiosity.
You challenge yourself to watch all the good animes - Naruto, DBZ, Black Clover, the classics...but at the end you see that still nobody respects you.
2. Elitism.
You suddenly learn that there was a secret challenge - the elitist list.
After completing it actually everybody hates you and even worst other elitist also hate you (because the one thing the elitist hate more is other elitists).
3. Embracing stupidity.
You are already addicted so you start to watch complete trash and pretend to enjoy it ironically.
4. You realize the you actually wasted your time and money.

ie_above11D said:
I've only watched half as much anime content lengthwise as you but i see no trend in my mental scape toward negativity. The opposite is true in fact, I feel more self-realized and have a more positive outlook on life than I did before.

Denial or you are strait up lying?

ie_above11D said:

I suppose the disparity between experiences must stem from our choice of content.

Yeah I skipped on the elitist list.
All I have to say to you, is take this up with Isreal Adesanya. You need the help of martial arts, the end.
Oct 9, 2019 2:32 PM
Nov 2017
phantom346 said:
Careful ecchi lovers! Censorship is coming! Nothing is sacred anymore once the commoners get their hands on a niche culture.

Totally agree; that’s why you shouldn’t feel bad streaming anime online for free. The more mainstream it becomes, the more restricted the content.
Oct 9, 2019 3:11 PM

May 2018
ie_above11D said:
All I have to say to you, is take this up with Isreal Adesanya.

He is in phase one. He is OK...for now.

ie_above11D said:
You need the help of martial arts, the end.

You need me to talk to him to beat the sense into you?

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

167 by Coaghim »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 3 hours ago

12 by Zettaiken »»
12 minutes ago

» Is this the most well-animated, fluidest fighting sequence in anime history?

SgtBateMan - 3 hours ago

3 by Zettaiken »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

28 by Luc36 »»
15 minutes ago

» Favorite Spring 2024 OP/ED?

Serafos - Apr 15

20 by LNW_R92CP »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.