Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 7, 2019 5:35 PM

Sep 2018
Do you view anime as generic=bad? Or do you view them differently. If you view them the same way, why??? Its so weird to me....

For me, generic anime are just generic. 5 or 6/10. They aren't bad, just not worth my time.
Bad anime are shit like naruto shippuden in which the writer doesnt know how to be consistent. Introduces random stuff only to change it half way with other things and the story becomes a jumbled mess. For me bad anime = bad writing. But bad anime doesn't necessarily mean low score for me either.

Oct 7, 2019 5:56 PM

Mar 2013
Look it's very simple.

There's generic anime

and then there's glasslip
Oct 7, 2019 5:57 PM

Apr 2016
I don't really think "generic". I think "meh, below average".

To me, Drifters is a "meh" show. It wasn't "bad", just boring and route. I dropped it after a few episodes, gave it a 5/10.

A "bad" show has to be actively grating, repulsive, for me to drop it.

To me, Violet Evergarden is a "bad" show. It feels incredibly pretentious. Everything from the sweeping cinematic soundtrack (episode five did have a nice tune), to the drawn out sweeping animations, to the over-dramatic outbursts about "WHAT IS LOVE?" and how Violet has been changing everyone's lives. It feels like blatant Oscar bait. It is hard to get invested in any character when each episode focuses on a new character while Violet and the mains remain in the background, doing very little. My favorite episode was five, which is so far the only one that I would consider legitimately great. Otherwise, it encapsulates all of my problems with KyoAni's work.
Oct 7, 2019 6:02 PM

Jul 2017
Generic has the potential to be good if it's done right, but it usually doesn't end up that way. The romance in Cross Ange was generic af but I still very much enjoyed it

bad is just bad
Oct 7, 2019 8:55 PM

May 2009
TheProblemIsntMe said:
Do you view anime as generic=bad? Or do you view them differently. If you view them the same way, why??? Its so weird to me....
For me:

"generic" is a term I usually only use to describe first impressions, like something "looks generic" in the sense that simply looking at it doesn't show off any particularly distinguishing characteristics from my perspective. But by the time I actually finish anything, it's never still "generic" since I actually know what it's about.

"bad" on the other hand basically means I wanted to enjoy something but couldn't and I feel it's the work's fault.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 7, 2019 9:51 PM

Feb 2019
Generic is always better than bad. Someone who haven't watched much anime can enjoy a generic one but same can't be said for bad.
Oct 7, 2019 9:53 PM
Jul 2018
I'll take bad over generic any day. At least you can make fun of or get genuine enjoyment for the wrong reasons from bad anime. You'll also learn what not to do. Generic anime is just forgettable and mediocre.
Oct 7, 2019 9:58 PM

Dec 2018
cythraul said:
Someone who haven't watched much anime can enjoy a generic one but same can't be said for bad.
You sure bout that? Isn't it presumable that what you claim to be 'bad' might just be 'generic' or even 'good' to others? Isn't 'generic' and 'bad' are subjective terms which therefore you couldn't categorize those who "can enjoy a generic one" and "same can't be said for bad"?
. . .
Oct 7, 2019 10:03 PM

Jun 2017
i don't think something 'generic' is inherently and unconditionally 'bad', even if I am having trouble with coming up with something that is generic that i can confidently call 'good'

Valyrian1124 said:
I don't really think "generic". I think "meh, below average".

To me, Violet Evergarden is a "bad" show. It feels incredibly pretentious. Everything from the sweeping cinematic soundtrack (episode five did have a nice tune), to the drawn out sweeping animations, to the over-dramatic outbursts about "WHAT IS LOVE?" and how Violet has been changing everyone's lives. It feels like blatant Oscar bait. It is hard to get invested in any character when each episode focuses on a new character while Violet and the mains remain in the background, doing very little. My favorite episode was five, which is so far the only one that I would consider legitimately great. Otherwise, it encapsulates all of my problems with KyoAni's work.

interesting. I'm not particularly fond of Evergarden either, but I only see the alleged pretentiousness in KyoAni anime when it comes to the ones that are more melodrama based
Oct 7, 2019 10:13 PM

Jun 2015
TheProblemIsntMe said:
For me, generic anime are just generic. 5 or 6/10. They aren't bad, just not worth my time.

I don't see how "generic" has anything to do with scores. Generic, to me, is just a lack of originality and/or creativity. A generic show can be good or bad, depending on the execution. I consider both Noragami and Kimetsu no Yaiba generic, but I like Kimetsu and hate Noragami.

Also, I think being generic can be a good thing, too. Many shows today focus on very specific gimmicks to try and set themselves apart and end up forgetting the basics of storytelling. A simple, basic story, when done well, is often much better than a gimmicky and underdeveloped one.
AnotherGuyOct 7, 2019 10:17 PM
Oct 7, 2019 10:40 PM

Feb 2019
Preachee said:
cythraul said:
Someone who haven't watched much anime can enjoy a generic one but same can't be said for bad.
You sure bout that? Isn't it presumable that what you claim to be 'bad' might just be 'generic' or even 'good' to others? Isn't 'generic' and 'bad' are subjective terms which therefore you couldn't categorize those who "can enjoy a generic one" and "same can't be said for bad"?

They are subjective but generic is usually used for storylines which are bland aren't innovative with it's quirks, bad is used for something which is just bad or something that doesn't fit user's tastes.
These terms might be subjective but there are plenty of generic anime which have 8+ score here on MAL. The bad I am talking here is something like hachigatsu no cinderella nine which has way too many flaws like bad story, art, animation etc. or even worse there's utsu musume sayuri which is objectively bad and it is definitely worse than anime that are considered as generic by vast amount of people.
Oct 7, 2019 10:46 PM

Dec 2016
Generic is just another way of saying typical or sharing a lot of similarities/patterns with other previous works, and for some reasons I can't understand, people associate that condition with a negative connotation. Why? What exactly has the quality of a work to do with its degree of originality? To me how good or bad a show is has nothing to do with that.
Oct 7, 2019 10:53 PM
Jan 2012
There's practically no such thing as an anime that isn't on some level generic, most ideas have been done already. Generic ideas can still be entertaining if executed well. A generic show or idea does not mean bad, it just means generic. Bad on the other hand can be either generic or unique, but if it's already considered bad then there's no real point which one it is, it's already just bad. At least the generic anime still has a chance.
Oct 7, 2019 10:55 PM

Dec 2018
cythraul said:
Preachee said:

They are subjective but generic is usually used for storylines which are bland aren't innovative with it's quirks, bad is used for something which is just bad or something that doesn't fit user's tastes.
These terms might be subjective but there are plenty of generic anime which have 8+ score here on MAL. The bad I am talking here is something like hachigatsu no cinderella nine which has way too many flaws like bad story, art, animation etc. or even worse there's utsu musume sayuri which is objectively bad and it is definitely worse than anime that are considered as generic by vast amount of people.

That sounds like some queer prejudice. I don't seem to agree how you can define a 'generic' one with your very own standard for others. If it's really like what you said, you should probably say "a show on MAL with rating of under 7 is generally considered to be bad, while those from 7 to 8 is generally considered to be generic", then it would've at least made more sense despite the obvious flaw in such statement. I understand the 'bad' segment you mentioned, but am not convinced about the 'generic' ones you told, for it seems like you are imposing your ideas into others.

Edit: say do you think Guilty Crown is objectively bad? Well I don't, it's probably considered to be generic by people. But I think it's one of the worst shows I've ever come across (that's when I was watching up to only like 50 anime, and I still think the same as for now)
PreacheeOct 7, 2019 11:02 PM
. . .
Oct 8, 2019 12:55 AM

Feb 2010
Generic just means 'typical for X' and if I like X I generally don't mind it at all.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 8, 2019 1:00 AM
May 2019
Those things are not mutually exclusive anime can be generic and bad at the same time.
Oct 8, 2019 1:05 AM
Mar 2018
Generic would be only viewed as bad if you watch a lot of anime, so its your problem then lol , there are many shows I enjoyed watching which were called generic by others, but I didnt find them generic due to my limited experience in watching anime.
Oct 8, 2019 1:12 AM

Feb 2014
RogertheShrubber said:
Bad > Generic

Because at least bad anime have the potential of providing a worthwhile experience.

Bad anime are at least memorable. They make you feel something. Generic anime are just there, boring you with the same old trash you've seen a million times, and presenting it in the most uninteresting and mechanical way possible.
Oct 8, 2019 1:25 AM

Mar 2018
Kuuchuu Buranko is the only anime I can think of that I wouldn't consider generic in some capacity and I thought it fucking sucked.
This isn't a very forward thinking medium for the most part, creators stick to what works and I'm totally cool with that because what I'm looking for is hardhitting moments and rewatchability. Intellectualism is secondary.
Oct 8, 2019 1:44 AM

Jan 2019
Generic = It has been done before. Something typical.
Generic ≠ Bad
Bad = Bad
Oct 8, 2019 1:50 AM

Aug 2015
I will always preffer a bad show rather than something that pretends to be something else, or already exists.
Oct 8, 2019 1:59 AM

Oct 2010
I think generic means that the plot or the characters resemble what was already done in other anime many times. Like how SnK is generic: men against monsters, angly kid fights monsters with same monster tech.
Bad is something you can't enjoy, like how I can't enjoy bebop, I find it boring but others may like it. It's still true that if an anime bores a lot of people it may be considered bad. Your shippuuden ex is good but other people watch it just because of the cool flashy magician fights and waifus, they don't care about writing or consistency. Is it a bad anime? Maybe?
Oct 8, 2019 12:18 PM

Feb 2019
Preachee said:
cythraul said:

That sounds like some queer prejudice. I don't seem to agree how you can define a 'generic' one with your very own standard for others. If it's really like what you said, you should probably say "a show on MAL with rating of under 7 is generally considered to be bad, while those from 7 to 8 is generally considered to be generic", then it would've at least made more sense despite the obvious flaw in such statement. I understand the 'bad' segment you mentioned, but am not convinced about the 'generic' ones you told, for it seems like you are imposing your ideas into others.

Edit: say do you think Guilty Crown is objectively bad? Well I don't, it's probably considered to be generic by people. But I think it's one of the worst shows I've ever come across (that's when I was watching up to only like 50 anime, and I still think the same as for now)

I am not really imposing anything here. I was just generalizing the concept of generic which is used for something that is lackluster and less innovative. If generic isn't what I said it is, then just explain it to me.
About guilty crown, you probably hated it because of your own preferences which I said it is a subjective thing. I haven't watched that show so I don't know a thing about it.

Edit: You went too far with generalizing the score. There are plenty good anime in 7-8 range which are great and kinda original. There are probably anime with score less than 7 which are considered good by some people. When I gave an example about hachigatsu no cinderella nine, I wasn't implying it's score but rather how that anime is bad because of its very basic flaws.
cythraulOct 8, 2019 12:26 PM
Oct 8, 2019 1:34 PM

Nov 2016
Generic shows are generally pretty lazy and safe shows that don't try to do much on their own but I don't really see it as being inherently bad and sometimes there is a sense of confort in the familiarity. Asobi ni iku yo is generic as hell but I still enjoyed it for what it was.

Whereas a bad show is just bad and I also have met very few shows that I would qualify as so bad it's good
Oct 9, 2019 4:23 AM

Dec 2018
cythraul said:
Preachee said:

I am not really imposing anything here. I was just generalizing the concept of generic which is used for something that is lackluster and less innovative. If generic isn't what I said it is, then just explain it to me.
About guilty crown, you probably hated it because of your own preferences which I said it is a subjective thing. I haven't watched that show so I don't know a thing about it.

Edit: You went too far with generalizing the score. There are plenty good anime in 7-8 range which are great and kinda original. There are probably anime with score less than 7 which are considered good by some people. When I gave an example about hachigatsu no cinderella nine, I wasn't implying it's score but rather how that anime is bad because of its very basic flaws.

As you see, "bland" itself is a subjective term, therefore ideas tagged with such word are most definitely subjective. And "it is definitely worse than anime that are considered as generic by vast amount of people" is what I thought to be imposing. I could definitely find myself equally hating a 'generic show that is considered by vast amount of people' as a so-called "objectively bad" show. Do you think that's not possible? On top of that, I wouldn't think you should be saying "a lot of 8+ anime are generic..." because that's a bit too subjective as well.

When we talk about something being generic, it will bring about these common criticisms: 1. (mainly) lack of innovation or creativity stated based on what is the standard of art, thus it is simply forgettable for lacking idiosyncrasy; 2. using bait-worthy tropes such as twists existing only for the sake of being surprising or etc.. But does 'lacking innovation' automatically mean 'bland' or 'generic', vice versa? When I asked some friends about their thoughts on the movie called "Brazil", one of them said it was so sparse in contrivance for it was basically using the concepts of 1984 and 8 1/2, which I certainly have to agree with. He said "it was an ideological mess, it looks grandiloquent but it's actually a generic dystopian movie that has little to no refreshing ideas". I then told him "Well, if you consider Brazil to be generic just because it was kind of loosely based on those two works, then you are probably missing a lot of points. It has its own identity, and such was transparent via the two influencers... There were this pipeline artistic choice which indicates..." At this point, arguing about this felt so personal and subjective. When I brought up a meticulous idea, he thought it was "grandiose" and "crafted the world way too artificially, but not philosophically". These statements of liking or disdaining are all subjective, I believe there's no existence of objectivity the deeper we discuss about what makes an artwork 'generic'.

About the Guilty Crown argument that I brought up, that is exactly what I was trying to tell you. The fact that you said "generic" was more enjoyable is simply subjective. Guilty Crown is generally thought to be generic and certainly not objectively bad, but what about in my case for instance? I thought that show was worse than an indisputably bad show like the Ghost Stories dub. I can't deceive myself that I enjoy the so-called "mediocrity" of Guilty Crown more.

And yes the generalization is obviously exaggerating, forgive me.
PreacheeOct 9, 2019 4:28 AM
. . .
Oct 9, 2019 4:26 AM
Jul 2018
Ferien said:
Generic is just another way of saying typical or sharing a lot of similarities/patterns with other previous works, and for some reasons I can't understand, people associate that condition with a negative connotation. Why? What exactly has the quality of a work to do with its degree of originality? To me how good or bad a show is has nothing to do with that.

I think "conventional" is a more fitting term. The think the reason why people associate "generic" with bad, is when an anime is extremely conventional, but isn't good.
Oct 9, 2019 6:18 AM

Oct 2017
RogertheShrubber said:
Bad > Generic

Because at least bad anime have the potential of providing a worthwhile experience.

That's like saying "at least bad tasting food has the potential to taste good".

The ability for something to provide a worthwhile experience is the exact metric people using to define the scale of how good art is.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Oct 9, 2019 6:37 AM

Aug 2018
I find a lot more generic anime than I find bad anime. Generic doesn't mean the same as bad for me. Generic to me is the definition of generic: not standing out from the rest or being similar to all the rest. Bad can be something unique but it was done terribly.

Oct 9, 2019 9:09 AM
Jul 2018
I think I'm OK with generic shows from certain genres and not others. For example, I like generic romance (that use the same old tropes) but don't particularly enjoy generic battle shounen.
Oct 9, 2019 12:55 PM

Oct 2017
RogertheShrubber said:
this is to say nothing of intellectual stimulation something which to me is vastly more important.

I'm sorry professor, you are clearly a much more enlightened individual and I will do my best to ignore my instinct to enjoy things so that I may also learn complex algebraic functions through watching anime.

Your forum avatar is some grade A irony by the way. Considering the amount of intellectual masturbation on display in your comment.

Your horrificly snobbish attitude aside, I'll point out that I said 'worthwhile experience', not 'memorable experience', which is also what you said originally.

I'm curious to hear more of this 'incidental vs. intentional' pleasure' theory of yours though. I'm pretty sure it's bullshit and you're just puking out words without much nuanced thought behind them but if you can prove me wrong pease do so.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Oct 9, 2019 1:56 PM

Mar 2019
if its bad then it aint gon be boring like a trash ass generic ass anime
Oct 9, 2019 2:51 PM

Sep 2014
RogertheShrubber said:
Complex algebra? You can't possibly think that's what I meant. Surely you understand there is more that can be obtained from art than facts or skills (or enjoyment for that matter). It is not enough to say that you have enjoyed a thing and to what degree. In my mind enjoyment also exists on a value spectrum. The value of the pleasure derived from a good game of chess is greater than that of a pig rolling in mud. This was the motivation for my claim that intellectual stimulation is of greater value.

"Your forum avatar is some grade A irony by the way."

That's the joke

As far as incidental vs intentional pleasure goes it's fairly straightforward, a thing which is accidentally entertaining is of lesser value than a thing which was made entertaining on purpose.

I am perhaps optimistic in believing that you will find both claims self-evident if you were to give them even a small amount of thought.

I get that you may enjoy something that stimulates your brain (I do too.) But in that case I can't call the show bad if it stimulated some pleasures. Yet, you still want to call something you unnironically enjoyed "bad" because you decided so? I never understood this twisted logic and to me the people who hold this argument either are dishonest with their own taste and actually like the show. Or they just pretend they enjoyed something about it in order to feel something while bragging they got a "worthwile experience while watching a bad show" on internet.
Oct 9, 2019 3:32 PM

Mar 2018
Hrybami said:
RogertheShrubber said:
Complex algebra? You can't possibly think that's what I meant. Surely you understand there is more that can be obtained from art than facts or skills (or enjoyment for that matter). It is not enough to say that you have enjoyed a thing and to what degree. In my mind enjoyment also exists on a value spectrum. The value of the pleasure derived from a good game of chess is greater than that of a pig rolling in mud. This was the motivation for my claim that intellectual stimulation is of greater value.

That's the joke

As far as incidental vs intentional pleasure goes it's fairly straightforward, a thing which is accidentally entertaining is of lesser value than a thing which was made entertaining on purpose.

I am perhaps optimistic in believing that you will find both claims self-evident if you were to give them even a small amount of thought.

I get that you may enjoy something that stimulates your brain (I do too.) But in that case I can't call the show bad if it stimulated some pleasures. Yet, you still want to call something you unnironically enjoyed "bad" because you decided so? I never understood this twisted logic and to me the people who hold this argument either are dishonest with their own taste and actually like the show. Or they just pretend they enjoyed something about it in order to feel something while bragging they got a "worthwile experience while watching a bad show" on internet.

It's almost as if there are more ways than one to derive pleasure from something... both of you seem so fragile and eager to shut him down for having different ideas. Ever heard of cringe compilations? Berserk 16/17? Women football? You can easily be fascinated by how bad these things are, they can stir up emotions and thoughts that don't necessarily have something to do with them being ''good''.
poop
Oct 9, 2019 3:34 PM
Jul 2018
Hrybami said:
RogertheShrubber said:

That's the joke

I get where they're coming from. They place a lot of value on a show having a greater meaning than just being fun. I don't think there's anything wrong with that per se, but it is exasperating when someone has a positive experience but refuses to call it "good" just because it wasn't also a meaningful experience.

Although, on the other hand, some people are the opposite and place almost no value on how meaningful a show is. I don't agree with that either. Non-meaningful enjoyment is good, but it's not the end-all-be-all. How "good" it is - how much value one places on meaning and fun - varies from person to person, but both extremes deny fundamental parts of the human experience.

edit:

RogertheShrubber said:
Hrybami said:

I would only call something I unironically enjoyed bad if that enjoyment were of a type that I do not value in art. For example I could enjoy a hentai for purely carnal reasons and I could genuinely enjoy it for that reason but I do not value that form of enjoyment highly in my appraisal of art and therefore I could very comfortably say that it was bad (this is assuming it had no other redeeming qualities).

Yeah that's what I'm talking about. Why call it bad if you genuinely enjoyed it? There's nothing wrong with saying it's of lesser value and less good than something more meaningful, but to deny it being good at all outright seems, for lack of a better word, pretentious.

Why does art need to be meaningful to be good?
removed-userOct 9, 2019 3:41 PM
Oct 9, 2019 3:44 PM

Mar 2018
RogertheShrubber said:
I was never intending to shut anyone down, I was responding to a comment on my original post.

Clearly there are more than one way to derive pleasure, my point was different forms of pleasure should hold different value in critical review. In any case I'm fairly sure I agree with you although I think it may be for different reasons.

Yeah I meant Hrybami and Yossa not you lol. Imo they went too far with the accusations.
poop
Oct 9, 2019 3:52 PM

Jan 2016
I don't view generic as bad, most anime by definition is generic.

Look at every shounen, down to the barebones they're all basically the same.

Same with shoujo romances.

So many anime are generic.

Doesn't mean they're bad.
Being generic has absolutely nothing to do with being bad.
Oct 9, 2019 4:15 PM

Sep 2014
RogertheShrubber said:
cryptier said:

I get where they're coming from. They place a lot of value on a show having a greater meaning than just being fun. I don't think there's anything wrong with that per se, but it is exasperating when someone has a positive experience but refuses to call it "good" just because it wasn't also a meaningful experience.

Although, on the other hand, some people are the opposite and place almost no value on how meaningful a show is. I don't agree with that either. Non-meaningful enjoyment is good, but it's not the end-all-be-all. How "good" it is - how much value one places on meaning and fun - varies from person to person, but both extremes deny fundamental parts of the human experience.

edit:

Yeah that's what I'm talking about. Why call it bad if you genuinely enjoyed it? There's nothing wrong with saying it's of lesser value and less good than something more meaningful, but to deny it being good at all outright seems, for lack of a better word, pretentious.

I don't think we disagree fundamentally in our reviewing philosophy but rather our differences lie in our naming conventions. When I say that something is bad I do not mean that it is utterly worthless, rather I simply mean that it is less worthwhile than something which is mediocre or good. Something which is bad can still have redeeming qualities and I would never deny their existence (assuming they did indeed exist).

To give an analogy it would be as if we were comparing our opinions of temperatures, I might only consider temperatures 30 degrees of lower to be cold while you might maintain that 60 degrees is the true cutoff for what constitutes cold weather. Ultimately we are considering the same information in our assessment and it is simply a difference in where we center our scale.

For me art *needs* to be meaningful to be good because I value meaning so much more than any other quality. All other qualities of a piece of media are largely insignificant compared to meaningfulness.

It's not exactly a difference of perspective from both sides on the matter. I agree we have different taste and different standard of what bad means. However, I can't comprehend how you could set up a convention in which art is favoured and need to be meaningful in order for you to enjoy something while at the same time it doesn't influence how you perceive how good or bad it is. That seems more like you review things based on things you don't particularly care and your list ought to not represent what you exactly enjoyed watching. I mean, sure you still can rate anything based on whatever you feel like. But shouldn't it be better to set a standard and rate our things based on how we enjoyed them?

@Esquirtit Eh? Why are you so aggressive out of nowhere?
Oct 9, 2019 4:34 PM
Jul 2018
RogertheShrubber said:
cryptier said:

edit:

I don't think we disagree fundamentally in our reviewing philosophy but rather our differences lie in our naming conventions. When I say that something is bad I do not mean that it is utterly worthless, rather I simply mean that it is less worthwhile than something which is mediocre or good. Something which is bad can still have redeeming qualities and I would never deny their existence (assuming they did indeed exist).

To give an analogy it would be as if we were comparing our opinions of temperatures, I might only consider temperatures 30 degrees of lower to be cold while you might maintain that 60 degrees is the true cutoff for what constitutes cold weather. Ultimately we are considering the same information in our assessment and it is simply a difference in where we center our scale.

For me art *needs* to be meaningful to be good because I value meaning so much more than any other quality. All other qualities of a piece of media are largely insignificant compared to meaningfulness.

Yeah, that makes sense. Although, to clarify - I think it's less that we have a different cutoff for what counts as "bad," but rather we weight fun and meaning differently. Theoretically we could completely agree on how fun and how meaningful a given show is, but rate it differently because we place more/less value on different aspects.
Oct 9, 2019 4:58 PM

Jun 2019
Yes. Truth be told, anime never been good to begin with
Oct 9, 2019 5:09 PM
Jul 2018
RogertheShrubber said:
cryptier said:

Yeah, that makes sense. Although, to clarify - I think it's less that we have a different cutoff for what counts as "bad," but rather we weight fun and meaning differently. Theoretically we could completely agree on how fun and how meaningful a given show is, but rate it differently because we place more/less value on different aspects.

I think that's exactly what it is yeah, different value metrics is all. I don't really have an issue with your metric although much like you I have a hard time wrapping my head around how you can think the way you do. The idea of giving a 10 rating to both an artistic masterpiece and a schlocky spoof seems so foreign to me.

Well, I wouldn't give a schlocky spoof a 10, unless it was also significantly meaningful in some way (which at that point, is it really a schlocky spoof?). As I said before but probably didn't explain well enough, I think there should be a balance. Something ridiculously fun but shallow would be a 7 or 8 to me (I haven't actually settled on a rating scale yet). Likewise, something artistically/intellectually/philosophically amazing but not particularly "fun" would be a 7 or 8 as well.

...we got pretty off topic lol
Oct 9, 2019 5:21 PM

Oct 2017
Hot-ish take? I can't stand generic. I'd rather the anime tries to do something new and fails than be solid enough but it still feels like I've seen it all before - that's boring to me. I wanna be entertained!
Oct 9, 2019 5:25 PM
May 2019
Anime being generic means that it doesn't do anything new or remarkable to stand out from the crowd. This type of shows are worth watching only if you're a fan of the their respective genre and are willing to overlook their overall blandness.
Anime that are bad are not worth watching unless they are so bad that they are good .
Oct 9, 2019 6:39 PM

Sep 2014
RogertheShrubber said:
Hrybami said:

It's not exactly a difference of perspective from both sides on the matter. I agree we have different taste and different standard of what bad means. However, I can't comprehend how you could set up a convention in which art is favoured and need to be meaningful in order for you to enjoy something while at the same time it doesn't influence how you perceive how good or bad it is. That seems more like you review things based on things you don't particularly care and your list ought to not represent what you exactly enjoyed watching. I mean, sure you still can rate anything based on whatever you feel like. But shouldn't it be better to set a standard and rate our things based on how we enjoyed them?

@Esquirtit Eh? Why are you so aggressive out of nowhere?

I don't think so no, I think approaching things that way leads to flawed ratings. You might end up rating an artistic masterpiece as if it were terrible simply because it didn't correspond to your sensibilities or likewise rate a trashy piece of nonsense as a masterpiece because it appealed to your basal urges.

"need to be meaningful in order for you to enjoy something" this is not actually what I mean, something can lack meaning and I can still enjoy it it is simply that I do not value enjoyment derived in this manner as highly.

One thing you said does hold true though, I will occasionally rate a work highly which does not appeal to me specifically because I am able to appreciate its artistic value.

I think ones list should reflect their review philosophy (in that sense I don't really have a problem with your rating style it's just that I don't think I could get much out of your ratings or reviews)

yes but I think you still got the point and @cryptier already explained it differently. And arguing beyond that is quite off-topic so let's just leave that as it is there. I understand how you rate your things, it's just your wording for describing a guininely positive experience on a show you think is bad that leaves me perplexed. You call this bad, but to me it seems like you enjoy it more than what you truly say.. it just feels weird.
Oct 9, 2019 10:02 PM
Jul 2018
RogertheShrubber said:
cryptier said:

Well, I wouldn't give a schlocky spoof a 10, unless it was also significantly meaningful in some way (which at that point, is it really a schlocky spoof?). As I said before but probably didn't explain well enough, I think there should be a balance. Something ridiculously fun but shallow would be a 7 or 8 to me (I haven't actually settled on a rating scale yet). Likewise, something artistically/intellectually/philosophically amazing but not particularly "fun" would be a 7 or 8 as well.

...we got pretty off topic lol

Yeah still though that seems like you're trying to conflate two things which are almost unrelated. Wouldn't it make more sense to just have 2 separate lists which have different metrics?

Lol I mean kinda I guess, I think it's still tangential though

Well, to me a rating should reflect the experience as a whole. Both fun and meaning add to the experience. Yeah, fun and meaning aren't particularly related, but I'm not sure why that matters. I have a better experience with a show that's both fun and meaningful than just one or the other. Of course, that's because I strongly value both fun and meaning.
Oct 10, 2019 5:39 PM

Dec 2018
"the difference between generic and bad anime is that: generic is not necessarily bad and bad doesn't mean its not enjoyable"
- by manboi

More topics from this board

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 29 minutes ago

9 by Kenzolo-folk »»
2 minutes ago

» Favorite Spring 2024 OP/ED?

Serafos - Apr 15

19 by IKKIsama »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

23 by Zarutaku »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 2 hours ago

9 by Kushna »»
20 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 4 hours ago

19 by Zakception »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.