Forum Settings
Forums

What is the best Josei anime you have watched? What do you think makes a good Josei?

New
Sep 18, 2019 6:49 AM
Oct 2018
For me it's Nana. Great cast of realistic characters and senarios. Also, Shouwa Genroku Rukugo Shinju was amazing.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 18, 2019 6:53 AM

Feb 2017
I usually dont watch Josei but one of my favourit anime is Josei.
Usagi Drop

AWC_mod said:

Jan 01 - Sep 29 || Angelic Expert, Persistent Master of TV || #2297 || #76 || @ManuelB87

Sep 18, 2019 6:58 AM

Feb 2019
Josei isn't a demographic I consume much of, but one of my favourites is one, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, so I agree with you on that. The show is incredible, the characters, the voice acting, the drama (I'm a sucker for it) and the calmer atmosphere, more focused on the character growth and character relationships. I find it one of the great shows the medium has to offer.
Sep 18, 2019 6:59 AM

Oct 2010
Clemonpie said:
ManuelB87 said:
I usually dont watch Josei but one of my favourit anime is Josei.
Usagi Drop

I will check that one out, I think I may have heard of it. Thanks ~

Check the anime but don't read the manga. Trust me on this.

Nana was truly great, I watched it when I was in high school and it shook my world, great characters, great stories, great music.
Sep 18, 2019 7:00 AM

Jun 2017
I only watch Chihayafuru so far, while I enjoyed (and enjoying) it I think it's an overrated show but that's probably because I don't like sports shows at all
Sep 18, 2019 7:11 AM

Apr 2017
Probably Chihayafuru or Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu (I didn't even realize it's Josei though, I always considered it as Seinen). As for what makes a good Josei it's hard to say, but I guess it's similar to what makes a good Seinen. That is having realistic characters that aren't all in high school and featuring more heavy and deeper themes.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Sep 18, 2019 7:11 AM
Oct 2016
One of my favourite anime is Victorian Romance Emma.
I think this works good enough as a signature.
Sep 18, 2019 7:25 AM

Jun 2015
Definetely Nana. I loved how believable and sympathetic the characters were. It's by far the realest anime I've ever watched. Haven't finished, though. I'm kind of worried the end is gonna be super sad, and I don't know if I'm ready for it.

Josei are usually stories about adult life, so I think believability and relatability are key.
AnotherGuySep 18, 2019 7:32 AM
Sep 18, 2019 7:31 AM
Aug 2018
I checked the josei genre and the servamp and the mermaid in the bath tub is the only thing on my list. Is josei about adopting/taking care of other homeless people???
Sep 18, 2019 7:35 AM

Apr 2019
Usagi Drop and Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S1+S2

Sep 18, 2019 7:39 AM
Nov 2018
Haven’t seen many but I would have to say
Kids on a Slope
It’s a very dramatical but also wholesome story about a delinquent and this prestigious kid becoming friends and start to connect with each other through music
It’s also set in a previous time which I’m not sure exactly when but I think the 1950s so there’s an interesting vibe from the setting
Sep 18, 2019 7:47 AM

Jun 2015
Pisces05 said:
I checked the josei genre and the servamp and the mermaid in the bath tub is the only thing on my list. Is josei about adopting/taking care of other homeless people???

Don't trust MAL on these tags. Most Josei are incorrectly tagged as Shoujo or just Romance. The term refers to a target audience (young women), but that usually translates into mature anime. Not "gore/sex/edgy" R-rated mature (that is Seinen), but emotionally mature. They are usually shows about real life.

I would argue stuff like Mushishi and Death Parade could also be considered Josei, as they are very different from most Seinen.
AnotherGuySep 18, 2019 8:00 AM
Sep 18, 2019 7:53 AM

Jul 2015
OtherMguy said:

Emma is a Seinen manga though,not Josei.

Sep 18, 2019 8:01 AM

Apr 2019
Pisces05 said:
I would argue stuff like Mushishi and Death Parade could also be considered Josei, as they are very different from most Seinen.
Excellent point: I just checked my completed list for anime (including movies) with smart and strong female leads who are either adult or behaving adult beyond their character's age. I'm not a female, but at least I'm in the Seinen demography ... Suggested anime I rated 8+ and which imho could easily be "Josei" tagged:
  • Haibane Renmei
  • Shoujo Kakumei Utena
  • Omoide Poroporo (completely beyond me why this isn't Josei)
  • NHK ni Youkoso!
  • Ookami to Koushinryou
  • Houseki no Kuni
  • Liz to Aoi Tori
  • Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou

Sep 18, 2019 8:09 AM
Jul 2018
Nodame Cantabile for me. Fun quirky characters and great music.
Have Rakugo Shinjuu on my PTW.
Sep 18, 2019 8:13 AM

Oct 2018
Both seasons of Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu are astonishingly beautiful. It is an anime that has made a great impact on me, actually. I tend to forget a lot of stuff about a lot of the anime I watch, but in the case of Rakugo, it was an anime that has really stuck with me.
Sep 18, 2019 8:35 AM

Apr 2018
Karneval and Gokusen are the only Josei I've watched to date, but I thought both were pretty good shows. I'm not sure what would make a good Josie tbh. Fresh ideas when they do romance or something?
Sep 18, 2019 9:01 AM

Feb 2010
idk how to answer 'what makes a good josei' because josei can be a million different types of shows and there will be as many different answers.

But I know I fucking love a lot of Josei titles, it's easily the demographic with the highest % of titles that made it to my favorites. It has the lowest numbers of entries in the DB, but with Nodame Cantabile, Rakugo, Chihayafuru it has 3 10/10 shows/franchises in my list and I'm very stingy with 10s, only 0.5% of my list get that score.

Not to mention the 9s and 8s that aren't far behind them: Sakamichi no Apollon, Usagi Drop, Honey & Clover, Paradise Kiss, Ristorante Paradiso and Kuragehime.

Nana is tagged as shoujo in the DB btw @Clemonpie
Otherwise I'd have also included it in my listing since I have it as 9/10. Only being incomplete really prevented it from possibly getting 10/10 as well.

Also I'm astonished how many people still don't understand how demographic tags work in 2019. How in the world could you consider Mushishi a Josei for example, it was clearly published in a Seinen Magazine. The same magazine that published works like Blame!, Vinland Saga, Parasyte and Blade of the Immortal. It is completely fucking irrelevant that it 'feels different' because a demographic tag says nothing about the content anyway, only about the means of publication.

Stuff like Death Parade or Utena don't have any demographic tags because they have not been adapted from manga, they are original anime.

One or the other is true for every other title people listed as 'could easily be josei'. It's not a matter of how you feel about them, it's a factual description of what kind of magazine the source material manga was published it, if it was published in any manga magazine.

If the source was published in a non-josei magazine, was not a manga, or there is no source because it's original, there is no josei tag. It's really not that hard to understand. MAL is relatively consistent in that regard and the only 'incorrect' application of these demographic tags are made by people in this thread who want to arbitrarily apply them based on their personal feelings.

There are some seemingly contradictive taggings like Sakamichi having a josei tag and 7Seeds having a shoujo tag despite being listed as being published in the same magazine, but that may be explained by the difference in WHEN they were published since magazines can switch up their target audience over the years.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 18, 2019 9:09 AM

Dec 2015
I've only seen Chihayafuru so just take a well educated guess.

P.S: Nana is shoujo.
Sep 18, 2019 9:11 AM
Oct 2016
Arjuna777 said:
OtherMguy said:

Emma is a Seinen manga though,not Josei.

I guess you're right. Nevermind, then.
I think this works good enough as a signature.
Sep 18, 2019 9:19 AM

Feb 2019
Princess Jellyfish, Chihayafuru (both seasons), Nodame Cantabile, and Kids on the Slope are some of my favorites.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Sep 18, 2019 9:21 AM

Oct 2008
Loveless is it for me.

What a good josei doesn't need is reverse harem like "Hakuouki" or sportish series like "Chihayafuru" or drama like "Shouwa Genroku" to make you lose track of what's important.

The important things are slice of life, romance and josei being the dominant genre. All others distract from what makes an anime a josei.
Sep 18, 2019 9:42 AM
Jul 2019
Rakugo Shinju is amazing.
I hope more quality Josei manga are being adapted into anime. Manga like Kakukaku Shikajika, Tokyo Tareba Girls can be great anime series.
Sep 18, 2019 10:15 AM
Jul 2018
Kasei Yakyoku, a short late 80s ova by dezaki/Sugino during taisho Japan and the kanto earthquake. While anime has not the josei tag, it is based on a josei manga.
Art is one of the best, on par with oniisama e
Sep 18, 2019 12:12 PM

May 2018
Since Nodame Cantabile, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu and Usagi Drop are already mentioned I will add only Hachimitsu to Clover.
Sep 18, 2019 12:25 PM
Feb 2018
For me: Sakamichi no Apollon, Usagi Drop and Honey & Clover.

Honey and Clover is one of the best slice of life, romance anime i have watched.
Sep 18, 2019 1:28 PM
Jul 2018
Nana and Paradise Kiss. They are from the same mangaka and great, realistic romances.
Also, I consider to watch Sakamichi no Apollon.
Sep 20, 2019 12:00 AM

Dec 2012
Just taking a stab at it, since I have difficulty telling Josei from shoujo:

Haibane Renmei
Bunny Drop
Orange
Red Garden
Library War
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Sep 20, 2019 12:48 AM

Apr 2012
Chihayafuru. With Rakugo and Jellyfish Princess close behind. And there's nothing in particular which makes a 'good josei', it's a demographic, not a genre. Different josei anime need very different things.
Sep 20, 2019 12:57 AM

Jun 2019
Kruszer said:

Haibane Renmei
Bunny Drop
Orange
Red Garden
Library War

I don't think Haibane Renmei was ever categorized as a Josei. It's based on a dojinshi and not compiled in any Josei publication. The anime is a half-original work (since the dojinshi was unfinished at the time of its production), so I've never heard of it ever receiving any demographic tag.
Sep 20, 2019 12:58 AM
Jul 2018
WatchTillTandava said:
Kruszer said:

Haibane Renmei
Bunny Drop
Orange
Red Garden
Library War

I don't think Haibane Renmei was ever categorized as a Josei. It's based on a dojinshi and not compiled in any Josei publication. The anime is a half-original work (since the dojinshi was unfinished at the time of its production), so I've never heard of it ever receiving any demographic tag.

Not to mention Red Garden is seinen and Library War is shonen.

OT: I really love Princess Jellyfish and would love for it to get more of the manga adapted. I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't watched a lot of josei at all, but I'm working on it. I only started appreciating them relatively recently.
removed-userSep 20, 2019 1:01 AM
Sep 20, 2019 2:08 AM

Feb 2017
Seems I've seen only two Josei anime so far, Rakugo and Usagi Drop. I loved them both, Raguko is even among my favorites. I should really try out more Josei stuff. I am planning to see Chihayafuru one of these days.
Sep 20, 2019 3:03 AM

Nov 2018
For me,it's "Chihahayafuru". Nice romance plot and good development. Sports genre plays the major role in it.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Sep 20, 2019 3:16 AM

Mar 2017
I have 2 favorite joesei: Saiyuki reload blast and Karneval, they aren't about women nor romance or real life yet they are published in josei magazine as they are most liked by women.
Sep 20, 2019 3:40 AM

May 2014
That'd be Nana. It's my second favourite anime of all time.

Everyone always talks about Rakugo Shinjuu, but unfortunately i couldn't get into that one.
Sep 20, 2019 5:25 AM

Jun 2017
nana nana nana nana nana nana nana nana
Sep 20, 2019 5:47 AM

Nov 2016
Hachimitsu to Clover
Chihayafuru
Nodame Cantabile
Usagi Drop

Absolute top tier.

Kuragehime
Ristorante Paradiso
Gokusen

Were also really good.

So from my experience Josei series, at least the slice of life oriented tend to be always a hit. Not really sure what they have in common that makes them so good, but I guess it's the down to earthness in tone and how nuanced the conflicts portrayed are while still keeping the charme and comedy of an anime.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 20, 2019 11:07 AM

Jun 2019
I have literally only two Josei anime watched in my entire list (to my knowledge; unless there's anything else in there which should have received a Josei tag but didn't for whatever reason): Usagi Drop and Petshop of Horrors.

The former is one of the most well-known Josei anime of the past 10 years and perhaps of all time. The latter...I really struggle to come up with reasons as to why it was even classified as a Josei? I mean, beyond "it's based on a manga which was in a Josei-centric magazine". Like, why was it there in the first place?

If Usagi Drop was one of the most famous and successful Josei animes, it should follow that there are others out there with this tone right? Quiet, at times fun, at times serious, Slice of Life contemplative family dramas about older teens or people in their 20s and 30s at turning points in their life? Ones that have people maturing while making tough decisions about their own life and future and/or those of their family members in a true Coming of Age fashion? Then what are some others out there like this?

I'd love to have more recommendations from experienced Josei watchers. Usagi Drop isn't in my top 10 favorites list (mostly due to its short length), but I rated it a 10 and would love to find more anime out there like it, but only found one other since. There have to be more?
Sep 20, 2019 12:46 PM
Jul 2018
I really love Josei and would like to see more of it. I'm always looking for more titles in both manga and anime. Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku is one of my favorites. Does anyone know what magazines run Josei? It might make it easier to find.
Oct 6, 2019 9:01 AM
Jul 2018
Kids on Slope
Paradise Kiss
Nodame Cantabile

I love this genre and hope to watch more. I've seen Usagi Drop, and liked it but the little one's character felt a bit unrealistic to me.
Oct 6, 2019 9:11 AM
Oct 2019
Josei Doesn’t have a single good Series
Oct 6, 2019 9:13 AM

May 2018
I have watched only a few, but Sakamichi no Apollon was really good, one of my favorites ever
Oct 6, 2019 9:33 AM
Sep 2018
Hachimitsu to clover was pretty good in that sensations of the Josei categories. The josei I we watched shared something about feelings and relationships little bit more mature and impressions of comfort some bittersweet .
Oct 6, 2019 9:37 AM

Dec 2013
I would say Nana, but that's technically shoujo, not josei so... I'll say Kuragehime instead.

Seriously though, I wish more josei series got anime adaptations. I loved both Net-juu no Susume and Wotakoi in the last few seasons. We need more quality anime like those.
Oct 6, 2019 10:38 AM

Nov 2008
Satsuriku No Tenshi is my favorite josei series.

.............don't look at me like that.

Oct 6, 2019 4:54 PM
Jul 2018
LittleCr0wxxx said:
Josei Doesn’t have a single good Series

How many josei have you watched, then? Surely you must have seen a lot if you can come to such a conclusion.
Oct 6, 2019 5:15 PM

May 2016
Chihayafuru, NANA, Haibane Renmei, and Usagi Drop. Y'know, as everyone else has already said.

From the sounds of it, I really need to expedite Nodame Cantabile further up my PTW list, if it's being put on the same pedestal as those other titles...

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Oct 8, 2019 5:30 AM

Jul 2012
It's pretty obviously what my ultimate fave is... My second fave is Chihayafuru tho.

Mentions that weren't in this thread yet:
Kakukaku Shikajika
Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi.

Zelkiiro said:
From the sounds of it, I really need to expedite Nodame Cantabile further up my PTW list, if it's being put on the same pedestal as those other titles...
It's also really good because the anime fully adapts everything and IMO is better than the manga. Around ~50 episodes with a few OVAs and manga also has a 2 volume epilogue focused around opera.

@WatchTillTandava I don't think these are Josei but my recommendations if you like Usagi Drop:
Sweetness and Lightning
Barakamon
Oct 8, 2019 6:08 AM

Apr 2019
I've meanwhile watched Nana, Omoide Poroporo, and Rose of Versailles. All three tagged Shoujo because they were published in magazins for that demographic. But definitely more targeted towards a mature audience 20+, if only because the protagonist is/are a woma(e)n in that age group and they deal with adult issues.

Oct 8, 2019 11:07 AM

May 2016
Mayuka said:
Zelkiiro said:
It's also really good because the anime fully adapts everything and IMO is better than the manga. Around ~50 episodes with a few OVAs and manga also has a 2 volume epilogue focused around opera.

Oh, I know Nodame Cantabile is a long ride. Everything's been in my PTW list for a few months now.

I was just saying I'll have to give it much higher priority if it's going to end up being a Chihayafuru-level experience.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - 2 hours ago

15 by Molotofee »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

52 by Oofmastre9000 »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Best kind of relationship in anime?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

18 by Memore »»
7 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

19 by Memore »»
11 minutes ago

» For those who ever rewatch anything, are there any anime you can't really casually rewatch in whole or in part due to intensity?

WatchTillTandava - 38 minutes ago

1 by -Kugeki- »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.