Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 7, 2019 11:12 PM

Aug 2009
Jaces_Sanctum said:
Aure0lin said:
the studio is trying to make up for the fact that the first six main chapters haven't been animated by at least showing something, although the reason why those haven't been animated and is that the first five were hot garbage and chapter six production has been dragging its feet.

That doesn't really excuse its lack of coherence.

You realize that this ep is about two specific characters right?
It isnt there to explain the plot.

The prologue ova explains it just fine.

Jfc, it is as if people havent heard of character driven series or eps.
Aug 7, 2019 11:23 PM

Mar 2018
ssjokg said:
Jaces_Sanctum said:

Oh, I do understand that, and it does a fine job of it, but the rest isn't great.
Aug 7, 2019 11:42 PM

Aug 2009
Jaces_Sanctum said:
ssjokg said:

Oh, I do understand that, and it does a fine job of it, but the rest isn't great.

That is a personal issue.
Not liking it doesn't make it a mess.
Aug 8, 2019 3:28 AM

Mar 2015
Romani and Mash watching a Sherlock movie, nice touch

The montage of all the singularities was cool, and that 1 second of Pepe screen time was blessed. Other than that tho, it was ok I guess.

Also is it just me or is there some serious sameface syndrome going on
Aug 8, 2019 4:04 AM

Aug 2009
Mirai said:
Romani and Mash watching a Sherlock movie, nice touch

The montage of all the singularities was cool, and that 1 second of Pepe screen time was blessed. Other than that tho, it was ok I guess.

Also is it just me or is there some serious sameface syndrome going on

Takeuchi since he first drew for Nasu's stories.He may update his designs but the faces will always be the same 3.
Aug 8, 2019 5:04 AM

Jul 2015
Jaces_Sanctum said:
Aure0lin said:
the studio is trying to make up for the fact that the first six main chapters haven't been animated by at least showing something, although the reason why those haven't been animated and is that the first five were hot garbage and chapter six production has been dragging its feet.

like others said, it is perfectly coherent if you know what you´re looking at. This show was made specifically for those who played the game, not for people blindly going into it. It does a perfect job as far as re-introducing Mashu and Romani goes, and part of that is reminding us of the journey that Mashu went through
It's okay to smirk

Aug 8, 2019 6:06 AM

Aug 2012
Shayon said:
ltspfan said:
How is this related to First Order?

its a sequel to it

First Order is the prologue, Babylonia is chapter 7 of the same story

chapters(singularities) 1-5 aren't being adapted into anime, but chapter 6 will be adapted as movies

Thanks for the explanation!

someone else always have what you want, but it usually means nothing to them...
Aug 9, 2019 12:54 AM
Jul 2007
ltspfan said:
Shayon said:

its a sequel to it

First Order is the prologue, Babylonia is chapter 7 of the same story

chapters(singularities) 1-5 aren't being adapted into anime, but chapter 6 will be adapted as movies

Thanks for the explanation!

But most of what they show in this episode is stuff that chronologically happens before first order, then quick snippets of the other chapters/singularities that take place after first order.
eraltergAug 9, 2019 12:59 AM
Aug 9, 2019 1:08 AM

Oct 2018
Romani taking the path of Emiya

Mash looks like a saved Sakura
Aug 9, 2019 7:17 AM

Sep 2010
was okay, the characters are a bit dull though - miss the great masters from Fate/Zero

pretty annoying that they don''t adapt the other singularities, especially now they showed us the servants - I'm watching this for the awesome servants!!!! Can't wait for Babylonia and Camelot though
Aug 9, 2019 1:15 PM

Dec 2017
Shayon said:
Jaces_Sanctum said:
the rest was just meh up until they suddenly made it into a disjointed montage with random bits of dialogue and things playing on screen, causing the episode to spiral into a nonsensical mess.

that montage was for singularities(story chapters) 1-6, they are skipping those and adapting singularity 7

singularity 6 will be adapted as movies after Babylonia, but the rest is complete trash and they're not getting anime

the montage is meant to show that Mash and her master went through those 6 journeys together before arriving at this point, Mash met various servants and people and learned dumb quotes from them or whatever, she changed and became more human over time

thank you very much, that made things much clearer
Aug 9, 2019 6:03 PM

Feb 2018
It is first seasson xD. Good graphic and vfx
Aug 11, 2019 10:44 AM

May 2014
The feels this episode.. I loved the last portion so much.. Drake, Nightingale, Nero, Jeanne, Bedivere, Arash, Touta..Got me really emotional remembering all our journeys.. It was great to get a glimpse of everyone and I really wish we could go back and animate those chapters. Oh well I'm stoked for Babylonia if this is the quality we can expect, it was amazing!

Aure0lin said:
Jaces_Sanctum said:
and then the rest was just meh up until they suddenly made it into a disjointed montage with random bits of dialogue and things playing on screen, causing the episode to spiral into a nonsensical mess.
They are not, but sure believe what you hear. Only the 3rd chapter is not good enough (Septem, still has it's nice moments though), the rest are decent to good IMO at least, and the characters keep getting expanded upon in the game and respective mangas.
ZoroZoldyckAug 11, 2019 10:47 AM

Aug 11, 2019 3:35 PM

Mar 2016
ZoroZoldyck said:

Aure0lin said:
They are not, but sure believe what you hear. Only the 3rd chapter is not good enough (Septem, still has it's nice moments though), the rest are decent to good IMO at least, and the characters keep getting expanded upon in the game and respective mangas.
i dunno, i actually play the game and have read through the cutscenes except america which i just skipped because i knew what to expect by that point, only read last few singularities cuz i heard nasu wrote them and those were worth it.
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Aug 11, 2019 10:12 PM

Oct 2015
Leo said:
This was surprisingly good. Haven't played the game since I don't live in the US or Japan :( It was nice seeing Mashu's backstory and Dr. Romani. It was also nice seeing all those other servants like Ruler.

If you're on Android, use QooApp or apk. If you're on iOS, there's a way too (can refer to r/grandorder and any major FGO group)
I've been doing that (QooApp) for both JP & NA versions up to this day.

Or just simply watching First Order anime, and read the VN parts on YouTube (or other places)

Thank you! :)[/quote]
i mean unless you're in europe
the austrlian palystore and most asian playstore already have the game .-.
anyways
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Aug 11, 2019 11:58 PM

Oct 2008
just finished watching from [hs] and man! that last part was glorious! seeing all characters!
Takahashi Rie is now really big time! lolz
5/5.
9/10.

Aug 12, 2019 12:51 AM
Jun 2017
ROMANIII!! I love him T_T
And woah... Mashu is so badass at the beginning (kinda hope she's also like that in the game)
*whispers* were those the lostbelt masters?
As an NA FGO player, seeing all those singularity montage was like seeing all of my old friends who have inspired me and made me the way I am now. (Also all of my efforts I put in the game lol)
The flow of the story and dialogue was pretty nice, also the art is gorgeous!
Looking forward to October!!
HenriettaSeanApr 9, 2020 8:17 AM
Aug 12, 2019 2:39 AM

Aug 2009
Does anyone else feel irritated when people that are clearly players call Mash a badass when she didnt do shit?

I mean here in this ep.
Aug 12, 2019 12:16 PM

Aug 2009
virde said:
kinda irritating when mary sues get praised in general

Kinda irritating when you use words you dont understand.
Aug 12, 2019 12:26 PM

Aug 2009
virde said:
ssjokg said:

feel free to list a character flaw

Clueless about the real world, low self esteem, too pure white as a character, and unlike her Heroic Spirit she isnt that powerful.

Aug 12, 2019 12:51 PM

Aug 2009
virde said:
ssjokg said:

Clueless about the real world, low self esteem, too pure white as a character,
being 2pure4life isnt a genuine character flaw but a trait employed to make her artificially endearing
and unlike her Heroic Spirit she isnt that powerful.
not sure what her power level has to do with her character

It is a flaw when she sees everything in positive way.When they tell you that you have 8 more years to live and you just accept it it is a flaw. She isnt pure because she grew up yo be that.She was created to be that way and this is an issue. It isnt endearing to see someone accept a shitty fate.
And may sues ARE supposed to be strong as well.
Aug 12, 2019 3:40 PM

Aug 2009
virde said:

It is a flaw when she sees everything in positive way.When they tell you that you have 8 more years to live and you just accept it it is a flaw.
Neither of which impact the narrative in any meaningful way and they don't compromise her competence at all. It's on the same level as Saber Alter liking junk food. They're just personality traits

She isnt pure because she grew up yo be that.She was created to be that way and this is an issue.
It's a halfassed attempt to make chaldea seem a little morally grey. The only bearing it has on mashu as a character is her gaining some sympathy points from the audience, furthering her function as a mary sue
It isnt endearing to see someone accept a shitty fate.
again, sympathy points and not a genuine character flaw

And may sues ARE supposed to be strong as well.
she is strong, she's a pseudo servant capable of blocking essentially every attack through power of friendship and constantly gets support from other one dimensional characters

So basictaly "these arent the flaws I want so this character is bad".

You can literally turn any trait into sympathy points you know.
Aug 12, 2019 7:09 PM

Mar 2016
virde said:
ssjokg said:

feel free to list a character flaw
mash is just a run of the mill mobile game mc, being a bland protagonist doesn't make you a sue
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Aug 13, 2019 1:57 AM

Aug 2009
virde said:
ssjokg said:

So basictaly "these arent the flaws I want so this character is bad".
No, I'm saying they aren't character flaws if they don't have any tangible impact on the narrative, none of the things you listed work against her at any point in the story and serve more as character trivia than any actual issue.
How about the fact that if she was less pure and more secure about her powers singularities 1-6 would be a lot fucking easier?

Whether or not something seems like a big issue to you is your problem.
Aug 13, 2019 8:22 AM

Aug 2009
virde said:
ssjokg said:
How about the fact that if she was less pure and more secure about her powers singularities 1-6 would be a lot fucking easier?
"Mary sue" is a term originating from star trek fanfiction and is named after the character that gets thrown into a cell, escapes, cures the illness her companions are suffering from before succumbing to it herself. Would you argue that the character that actually started the term isn't actually a mary sue because she would have an easier time if she didn't get thrown into a cell? Mary sues and general hardship are not mutually exclusive. Quite ironic you'd say I don't understand the term when you are ignorant to both its origins and obvious parallels to mashu

Whether or not something seems like a big issue to you is your problem
It's not problem regarding scale, it's a problem with your understanding of the term itself. Mashu doesn't actually lose anything in the story at any point due to her own incompetence, traits you're trying to portray as a flaw are only superficial aspects of her character designed to elicit sympathy from the audience, much like the original mary sue being a half vulcan or dying from the illness after saving everyone or whatever.

Aure0lin said:
mash is just a run of the mill mobile game mc, being a bland protagonist doesn't make you a sue

Shayon said:

idk if i agree with her being mary sue, but she is a boring cardboard along with her self-insert master
Can you articulate why? I'm wouldn't mind being wrong about her

Here is a question.

What does Rin,the poor orphan that lost her parents in the previous war, lose in FSN?What does Saber, who failed in the one thing she had to do and heavily blames herself, lose?What do countless other -good- characters with a sad past lose at any point of their story?

It is good and all to use a tv tropes to try and force your ideas on what is and isnt x type of character but better try not to force it on pretty much any character.

Mash doesnt lose anything important, except you know
and she doesnt magically fix anything for the rest so how exactly does that make her a Mary Sue?
Every character is made to draw out sympathy from the audience.Even freaking Kotomine Kirei's character does that.

Mashu isnt one of the good characters of Type Moon but she isnt a mary sue or other easily thrown out terms.
Aug 13, 2019 11:27 AM

Aug 2009
virde said:
ssjokg said:

Here is a question.

What does Rin,the poor orphan that lost her parents in the previous war, lose in FSN?
She fucks up her servant summoning in the first 5 minutes of the game due to her clumsiness, wasted a command seal, lost her life multiple times due to her personality's limitations, lost her servant due to lacking an understanding of his personality

What does Saber, who failed in the one thing she had to do and heavily blames herself, lose?What do countless other -good- characters with a sad past lose at any point of their story?
Her recklessnes leads to her own and shirou's death multiple times and her mindset is completely rejected multiple times.
This is quite embarrassing for somebody that's supposedly read the VN

It is good and all to use a tv tropes to try and force your ideas on what is and isnt x type of character but better try not to force it on pretty much any character.
The fanfiction is universally regarded as the origin of the term, but sure dismiss that. She's a beautiful docile kouhai that kickstarted this era of demiservant cancer, giving her strength to compete with beings much higher on the food chain and a power of friendship-tier NP. She makes no remarkable errors and is freed
from any of the consequences her noble actions do bring her. Textbook mary sue.

Mash doesnt lose anything important, except you know

and she doesnt magically fix anything
Her NP saves protag from excaliblasts and ars almadel, defuses the situation with lancelot which pushes him to help her and probably countless other scenarios. You're taking it too literally anyways, I said Parallels

Every character is made to draw out sympathy from the audience.Even freaking Kotomine Kirei's character does that.

Lev draws out sympathy? That's quite a leap there dude. Kotomine's character acts as a foil to shirou's and to compare his scenes to Mashu's "uwu my pure waifu had such a tough past, better give her some headpats" is frankly ridiculous. Not once was Kirei reduced to fishing for sympathy, the fact thay you felt any is purely due to his compelling character arc. Go join a literature class and reread the VN, you're worse than the secondary boogieman

Did any of those setbacks hinder Rin?Her faction win 3 times out of 3.
Alt endings dont count since she dies because of Shirou's mistakes.Mash would die as well if everyone around her fucked up.
She did understand Archer.It is why she keeps him away from fights for most of s1.

Again, alt ends dont count.Mash failed to read Lev, she failed to save Olga, she would be dead if Caster Cu wasnt there etc.

Mash compete with the others?She is literally saved by everyone else.We literally go around in every singularity recruiting Servants because Mash cant do shit. Even when she can use ****'s powers her primary role is still to establish a summoning circle for us to summon Shadow Servants to FIGHT for us.
Friendship Np, Willpower feats.As if Fate wasnt full of them.Saber beats Sasaki outright because of willpower.Shirou in HF is the embodiment of willpower.

Didnt that person die because she wasnt strong enough to save the day? Are Mary Sue's supposed to be perfect and able to save everyone or not?

I am taking it too literally and you trying to stretch out the definition by any means necessary.

Considering that Lev and the other Demon God Pillars could have normal lives before awaking is enough to warrant sympathy for them.

In the end your issue is that people treat her too much as a waifu.Their problem.And I guess yours as well.

She can be a bad character without being mary sue and considering that you really have to try hard to find anything that makes her one other than "omg so pure" since she doesnt do anything even if she is our only Servant, the one to join a literature class should be you.

Sep 1, 2019 12:41 PM

Jan 2016
The OST when Mashu went berserk was honestly some of the best pieces of music I've ever heard!

I'm tearing up! All that gacha wasn't wasted after all!
Sep 6, 2019 1:57 PM

Nov 2013
So uuuh is this a different timeline than the story of First Order anime? Can anyone who played the game explain how this works?
You all need to watch Nami.

Sep 6, 2019 11:05 PM

Aug 2009
abystoma2 said:
So uuuh is this a different timeline than the story of First Order anime? Can anyone who played the game explain how this works?
The events in this are some years up to some minutes before the start of the first mission in first Order(with some montage from events between First Order and Babylonia at the very end).

You actually see Mash finding Ritsuka unconscious and Ritsuka entering the room Romani is lazing around, like in the First Order ova.

For plot related reasons, since the adaptation will skip 5 arcs, we got this ep in order to establish Mash and Romani as characters.
ssjokgSep 7, 2019 3:50 PM
Sep 7, 2019 3:30 PM

May 2018
I feel like watching this but i am not sure if i have to finish all the other fates. I finished fate/zero and fate/stay night ubw. In the characters i saw that there is Saber from fate extra lost encore so i was just wondering if i have to watch more season before i watch this... thanks.
Sep 7, 2019 3:45 PM

Aug 2009
Mini-Senpai said:
I feel like watching this but i am not sure if i have to finish all the other fates. I finished fate/zero and fate/stay night ubw. In the characters i saw that there is Saber from fate extra lost encore so i was just wondering if i have to watch more season before i watch this... thanks.

You definitely dont need Last Encore for this.

You MAY need to watch up to Heaven's Feel 2.
Sep 7, 2019 11:50 PM

Nov 2013
Thanks. Why were the first five singularities not adapted though? That would make it quite less confusing. Some of the comments say because the first five were shit, but let's be honest, fans would watch it anyway.

Sep 8, 2019 2:17 AM

Nov 2013
Oh okay, that makes sense. I still hope the rest of the story gets adapted eventually if this one does well. I don't really want to get into gacha just to be able to understand the story more.

Sep 8, 2019 3:46 AM

Aug 2009
abystoma2 said:
Oh okay, that makes sense. I still hope the rest of the story gets adapted eventually if this one does well. I don't really want to get into gacha just to be able to understand the story more.

Except from a little character development for Mashu none of them are needed to understand the story.

In fact Babylonia and Camelot are so different in goals and structure(sorry cant spoil) that it would just be a waste of time to animate 1-5. They have some good moments but overall they are pretty meh.

If you just watch First Order you will be fine story wise.
Sep 24, 2019 11:50 AM

Aug 2009
UltraLungs said:
So I’m only up to the 4th singularity, would I be fine watching this & the anime that’s about to come out?
Yeah you will be fine.
ssjokgSep 24, 2019 11:58 AM
Oct 5, 2019 9:24 AM

Oct 2017
Well a short summary of the events and Mash backstory.
Oct 5, 2019 3:59 PM
Nov 2018
Pnbn said:
Piromysl said:

Same question, if I may.

The episode is up on Wakanim SC

Also on GoGoAnime1
Oct 5, 2019 7:00 PM

Oct 2015
I don't understand why Marisbury Animusphere had to kill himself, that was awfully vague and very intriguing. I hope the main series will tell us more about it.

Roman really is a great guy, I liked how he took care of Mash and taught her the way of the world. That was truly beautiful, it made me wish they were the real partners in the story. The chemistry was truly there, but I don't hate her partnership with Ritsuka though.

I watched this special, so that I can watch the series in a good manner!
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 5, 2019 11:10 PM

Jul 2016
Quite decent introductory episode for what's to come in Babylonia. Honestly, I have never played the mobile game so I only can based my opinions on the anime adaptations but so far, I think this Special managed to portray Mash's initial character development in a quite satisfying way without it feeling confusing or rushed.

Also, I'm starting to understand why so many people like Romani. The episode was mostly about Mash's origins but I really appreciate the bits of info we received of him.

7/10 - Now, I just hope Ritsuka/Gudao can be more likeable in Babylonia because I found his character rather bland in the "First Order" OVA.
Oct 5, 2019 11:39 PM

Aug 2009
lihle808 said:
I don't understand why Marisbury Animusphere had to kill himself, that was awfully vague and very intriguing. I hope the main series will tell us more about it.

Yeah that caught even players off guard.

We still wait to find out.
Oct 6, 2019 9:08 AM

May 2018
Do i need to watch Fate/Grand Order: Moonlight/Lostroom before watching this? But i already watched Fate/Grand Order: First Order ty
Oct 6, 2019 9:10 AM

Aug 2009
sn0w_m0chi said:
Do i need to watch Fate/Grand Order: Moonlight/Lostroom before watching this? But i already watched Fate/Grand Order: First Order ty
No.

That is set AFTER Babylonia and 5 more chapters of the game.It is an anime only prologue for Part 2 of the story.
Oct 6, 2019 12:30 PM

Sep 2014
Mashu too precious, also loved that badass Mash in the beginning.
Oct 6, 2019 4:21 PM

Sep 2010
ssjokg said:
lihle808 said:

Yeah that caught even players off guard.

We still wait to find out.

There are theories but are all connected to Cosmos in the Lostbelt.
ThessOct 6, 2019 4:26 PM
Oct 7, 2019 4:08 AM
Mar 2012
great quality as cloverworks is.
First half gave a lot to characterization of Romani & Mash. only saw firstorder so other stuff im kinda lost.
There was a lot of shared cameos i know from Apocrypha & Melloi tho. Nice Olga's not dead for a 2nd show, but her dad dying was a surprise. With so much hints in Melloi would be nice to have more on the dad & the chaldea in general since he seemed to win one of the HGWs.

Oct 7, 2019 9:13 PM

Sep 2010
gophercg said:
First half gave a lot to characterization of Romani & Mash. only saw firstorder so other stuff im kinda lost.
There was a lot of shared cameos i know from Apocrypha & Melloi tho. Nice Olga's not dead for a 2nd show, but her dad dying was a surprise. With so much hints in Melloi would be nice to have more on the dad & the chaldea in general since he seemed to win one of the HGWs.

Olga still died, when you see the recap on Fuyuki, she was killed there (assume First Order events take place there.
Oct 12, 2019 1:46 PM

May 2015
Meh...could be better.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Oct 18, 2019 9:42 AM

Jul 2013
SouthRzVa said:
7/10 - Now, I just hope Ritsuka/Gudao can be more likeable in Babylonia because I found his character rather bland in the "First Order" OVA.

Don't expect anything. He's literally a self-insert mc because he's supposed to be you in the game.
Oct 18, 2019 7:04 PM
Mar 2012
Thess said:
gophercg said:

Olga still died, when you see the recap on Fuyuki, she was killed there (assume First Order events take place there.

Ah I see, so First Order happens after this ep0 on the same timeline.
Oct 19, 2019 10:40 AM

Sep 2010
gophercg said:
Ah I see, so First Order happens after this ep0 on the same timeline.

Episode 0 is mostly the backstory of Roman and Mash, plus some singularity recap+foreshadowing stuff for part 2. There are a few cosmetic changes like Roman telling Mash about her limited lifespan while he didn't want to do it in the game so she would live every day the fullest, still, Mash knew about it - but those are so we, the viewers, know. Or Mash meeting Da Vinci before Orleans (because it really didn't make sense she didn't know her in the game and only was used as a mouthpiece for the players reaction) which often is ignored and assumed/retconned she did. But nothing big. Olga needs to die for the plot to move in the right direction with Roman's Chaldea acting director for the Grand Order.

Edit: Oh yeah Marisbury won the 2004 Grail War, killing all the opposing Masters and Servants and (this is only a minor spoiler, from the tutorial/Fuyuki false info)
ThessOct 19, 2019 10:53 AM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.