Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 6, 2019 8:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A new OP song! Quite catchy if you ask me.

Really interesting to see Arthur and the talk about Artorius this episode. Same with the battle conquests of the past. While there isn't as much as action compared to the other episodes, I still think it's a fairly important one.

Plus, I do want to see how they make of a true warrior in this show.
Oct 6, 2019 8:51 AM

Jul 2016
New OP and ED are amazing, probably going to be the best of this season.

Good episode, it was fascinating to talk about Arthur in this episode, and it seems that Askeladd is half-Welsh and actually hates the Danes. Askeladd is definitely becoming the best character of this show.

I'm also turning gay for Canute.

Overall, 5/5
Oct 6, 2019 9:38 AM
Apr 2018
Damn the new ED is so good! Milet GOATED.
Oct 6, 2019 9:54 AM
Nov 2007
After one week wait what a boring episode. The manga has huge amount of materiel so why are they so slow? Absolute garbage.
Oct 6, 2019 9:57 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode as always.

It was interesting to hear about Askeladd's past, his birth and lineage. Does he hate the Danish because of how his mother was treated by his father? I'm interested to see if he can actually make his plan work.

It was cool to see Canute finally stand up for himself.

I'm a little confused about the whole European history. I'm not very familiar with it, what exactly did Britannia as a country comprise of? Was it essentially United Kingdom as it stands today? Did the countries of England, Wales and Scotland exist pre-Britannia or post? Who exactly is Artorius and are the Welsh people in this show descendants of the Romans who once ruled?
Oct 6, 2019 10:00 AM

Sep 2014
Now that's an OP! I'm really digging it. ED is great too though I prefer the previous one a bit more. Anyway, Askeladd revealed that he's half-Welsh and half-Dane but hates the latter. We got information about his parents' background and his will to protect the Welsh from the Danes through a non-aggression pact by achieving a high position in the Danish Kingdom. Canute's reactions this week were pretty entertaining especially when he snapped at Thorfinn lol Everyone was left dumbfounded once he talked. Next episode cannot come soon enough.
Oct 6, 2019 10:00 AM
Sep 2015
Thorfinn can call Canute princess all he want but don't forget to say no homo.
Oct 6, 2019 10:01 AM

Jan 2009
so Akeladd is a mixed race between the opposing countries but he hates the Danes more

the new OP and ED are cool especially the OP giving foreshadowing that Canute will become badass when Ragnar and Askeladd faded away or die i guess
Oct 6, 2019 10:06 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Interesting episode!

Certainly didn't expect Askeladd to be half-Welsh and raised up like that but it was nice to have a little further insight into Artorius and King Arthur. Got to say, his plan sounds really easy on paper but I doubt it'll go this smoothly practically. On another note, now it makes sense why that Welsh Commander trusts him.

Young Askeladd seriously looked like Thorfinn's duplicate though, for a second I was afraid that somewhere along the line Ylga would end up like that with Thorfinn on his back yikes. Canute finally talks and that's a lot of talk. Lol @ Ragnar's reaction though, sounds like the he's finally found someone to open up to albeit gradually.

Askeladd's men are starting to doubt now I feel, with Bjorn's little suspicion period there as a possible indication. I wonder how they'll react if they found out the truth, if they do of course that is. Yukimura-sensei (link below) says next episode is not one to miss out on so I'm definitely looking forward to that!

https://twitter.com/makotoyukimura/status/1180883253751775232?s=20

New Op and ED too! Op visuals are stunning with a distinctive archaic sense and the song isn't half-bad either so hoping it really grows on me like the previous managed to almost instantaneously. millet did a fantastic job with the ED too but I'm a huge fan of Aimer so it's going to be tough for this to top the previous ED, "Torches", I reckon.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 6, 2019 10:10 AM

Oct 2017
The new op song is pretty decent, it had some interesting scenes in it.
Well some surprising secrets of Askelad was shown, I dunno if he really means it when he said he hates the danes. Let's just wait and see what happens.
Oct 6, 2019 10:13 AM

Jan 2009
MegamiRem said:
I dunno if he really means it when he said he hates the danes.

i believe him since it looks like Askeladd is a mamas boy after all (see the new OP again too) so he blames the barbaric Danes from making his mother suffer and that may explain why he is fine with Prince Canute as being docile or weak since he wants the Danes to be less aggressive i guess
Oct 6, 2019 10:16 AM

Nov 2016
Really like the new theme songs.

And Askeladds character has gotten even more interesting again.

Also some funny dynamics between "princess" and Thorfinn incoming.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 6, 2019 10:26 AM

Jul 2014
Finally we get to hear Canute talking, but the ed wasn't good imo, I liked the first one more
Oct 6, 2019 10:29 AM

Apr 2018
Interesting episode. We get to hear Canute's voice and see a little bit of his true personality.

The new OP and ED are great.
Oct 6, 2019 10:47 AM

Apr 2019
I really liked the new OP and ED though I think I prefer the first ED.

We finally get to see our prince talk to someone. And he seems to be way smarter than he looks.
Askeladd's past was really interesting. Hopefully, he can achieve his goal before Thorfinn kills him.
Oct 6, 2019 10:52 AM

Aug 2013
New OP and ED. I love them both though I do prefer the previous ED more.

We learned more about Askeladd in this episode, that he is half Dane and Welsh and that he hates the Danes.

Canute finally stood up for himself. His interaction with Thorfinn was kinda amusing.

Oct 6, 2019 10:59 AM

Jul 2015
Nice episode,new OP and ED.the second OP is visually better than the first one and the ED song is really good too and the palette portrayal of the ED fits well here.

Also we got a bit of Askeladd's backstory this episode.

Oct 6, 2019 10:59 AM

Sep 2014
Lelouch0202 said:

I'm a little confused about the whole European history. I'm not very familiar with it, what exactly did Britannia as a country comprise of? Was it essentially United Kingdom as it stands today? Did the countries of England, Wales and Scotland exist pre-Britannia or post? Who exactly is Artorius and are the Welsh people in this show descendants of the Romans who once ruled?

United Kingdom wasn't a thing back then. Britannia during 11th century AD was divided into several kingdoms. England and Scotland were the major kingdoms while the Welsh were divided into several smaller kingdoms. Some of those viewed themselves as Roman-Celts thus descedants of the Romans that ruled the land till the early 5th century AD. The English, on the other hand, were Agglo-Saxons which was a Germanic tribe that migrated there and took over the lands that the weakened Western Roman Empire had already lost a few years ago and started forming settlements in the island. Artorius was a Roman commander whose legacy today is connected with King Arthur's myth but there are no actual historical documents that support his presence in Britannia around the 5th-6th century AD that the show established in this episode. That's something the author came up with based on the myth. It is mostly believed that he lived 2-3 centuries ago.

I think this can help you. I might have messed up some stuff though since it's been a while I have studied history lol
Oct 6, 2019 11:01 AM

Jan 2012
For anime watcher only, better be prepared for the next ep. Because some heavy stuff is going to happen, Quite hard to swallow actually.
How I love a game
Oct 6, 2019 11:05 AM
May 2017
The new op & ed are amazing. The banter between Thorfinn & Canute was hilarious.
Oct 6, 2019 11:16 AM

Mar 2017
Well damn... the reveals in this episode were awesome! I knew there had to be some reason Askeladd is such scum and i guess now we know!

I was just as shocked as Ragnar when Canute started talking! I love that Thorfinn calls him Princess haha I see a beautiful frenemyship on the horizon!

One little thing though; i really dislike the new Op and Ed... the other ones were so fucking awesome. Nothing can beat Survive Said The Prophet OPs
Oct 6, 2019 11:17 AM

Dec 2014
MonkeyDHunter said:
Lelouch0202 said:

United Kingdom wasn't a thing back then. Britannia during 11th century AD was divided into several kingdoms. England and Scotland were the major kingdoms while the Welsh were divided into several smaller kingdoms. Some of those viewed themselves as Roman-Celts thus descedants of the Romans that ruled the land till the early 5th century AD. The English, on the other hand, were Agglo-Saxons which was a Germanic tribe that migrated there and took over the lands that the weakened Western Roman Empire had already lost a few years ago and started forming settlements in the island. Artorius was a Roman commander whose legacy today is connected with King Arthur's myth but there are no actual historical documents that support his presence in Britannia around the 5th-6th century AD that the show established in this episode. That's something the author came up with based on the myth. It is mostly believed that he lived 2-3 centuries ago.

I think this can help you. I might have messed up some stuff though since it's been a while I have studied history lol

I'm aware that UK wasn't a thing back then, I was just curious if the extents of Britannia as a country spanned the same amount that the UK does today. Anyway, that aside, thanks a bunch for the minor history lesson. It does help a lot. :)
Oct 6, 2019 11:17 AM

Jul 2014
It hadn't bothered me much so far, but the glacial pacing of this episode was pretty irritating. We got a few more details of Askeladd's backstory and finally heard Canute talk thanks to Thorfinn's snark, but that was about it really. Well, I guess we can also infer that Askeladd is going to kill Ragnar soon based on his conversation with Gratianus, but that's still not a lot after the last few episodes.
Oct 6, 2019 11:26 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
New OP&ED they're cool.
The prince is starting to speaks, that's good.
Oct 6, 2019 11:30 AM

Jul 2017
Love the new OP and ED, better than the 1st ones imo

Askeladd stuff was pretty interesting, him being secretly a traitor to the Danes

Finally Canute started to speak, can already sense the frenemy relationship with Thorfinn lol
Oct 6, 2019 11:43 AM

Sep 2017
another great episode. Canute talked and I got a bit excited XD seems that he is developing a nice bond with Thorfinn. too bad they're planning to kill Ragnar in order to make Canute "leave the nest".
Oct 6, 2019 11:49 AM

Dec 2010
I like the new OP but I miss Aimer's ED.
Oct 6, 2019 11:50 AM

Aug 2012
Oh, so the ''princess'' can talk after all.
Oct 6, 2019 11:56 AM

Jul 2013
I thought that the two people that appeared at the beginning of the episode were Thorfinn and Canute. Turns out they were young Askeladd and his mother lmao.

Finally Canute hold a conversation of his own. Really liked that his lack of words these episodes are due being cautious and not necessarily because he's shy, spoiled brat.
We know more about Askeladd's past, but what interested me the most is that he hates the danes. I wonder why, may be due the treatment his mother suffered? Or it is something more? Hopefully, it will be revealed alter.

New ED is nice, I don't like it as much as Torches, but it is good. Gotta get used to new OP, however.
Oct 6, 2019 12:07 PM

May 2018
Thorfinn needs to do something with his hair, he looks like a caveman

The new OP song is as bad as the previous one, so I guess I'll skip this one too
Oct 6, 2019 12:09 PM

Jul 2014
Already like the new OP and ED.

Honestly thought that it was Thorfinn at the start of the episode with his mother Helga... turns out to be Askeladd. Both looked very similar when they were younger, the outfits as well.

Askeladd's background comes to spotlight, so we now know why he's so eager to help Prince Canute succeed the throne. It will help his own position upwards and he'll have influence. He did reveal that he hates the Danes, hope they don't turn against him in the near future. Especially Bjorn.
Oct 6, 2019 12:15 PM

Nov 2017
We got some insight into Askeladd's past, that was nice. New OP and ED from now on. The new ED is definitely more thematically fitting to the show but the Aimer fanboy inside me still missed the first ED. OP is nice too
Oct 6, 2019 12:15 PM
Nov 2014
Can’t believe he hates the Danes. It feels like everything is just his plan and no one knows what he truly wants, but probably these are just my thoughts
Oct 6, 2019 12:16 PM
Mar 2015
Loved he princess arguing with Thorfin. Askeladd a descendant of Arthur was interesting helping the Welsh while keeping his hand in the court of the Danes
Oct 6, 2019 12:22 PM

Feb 2011
1. Canute still makes me question my sexuality
2. I have been anxiously waiting for the new ED, it's amazing.
Oct 6, 2019 12:22 PM

Jul 2019
The new opening is pretty good. For me personally, the visuals are even outshining the great song. The ed on the other hand was pretty meh. Not bad but pretty average.

The episode itself was very good - almost peak especially for a slower episode. A nice bit of negotiation, mah Boi Carnute stood up for himself, more of Askeladd which is always good and the outset for the next episodes was drawn. Only thing I did not like the author's decision to introduce the notion of face to Europe during the 'dark' ages.
Oct 6, 2019 12:46 PM
Jul 2018
Ah Askeladd's actions start to make some sense now. He's motivated by revenge just like Thorfinn. No wonder he likes the poor kid.
Oct 6, 2019 12:50 PM

Jul 2014
Goddamnit VINLAND KEEPS DELIVERING ON AND ON, this time with amazing OPS and EDs that rival that of the first half, holy shit.
Oct 6, 2019 12:56 PM

Jan 2018
I really like the new OP and ED, they did a good job.
Oct 6, 2019 12:57 PM
Jun 2015
Neji said:
After one week wait what a boring episode. The manga has huge amount of materiel so why are they so slow? Absolute garbage.
You can't adapt single chapters without setting the right timing for TV anime, as this anime focuses on two types of audiences and needs to be consistent. And an episode without action doesn't make it bad, so it tends to build god pillars.
Oct 6, 2019 12:58 PM
May 2019
Ok, Askeladd is much more deep and mysterious than initially shown. His character is developing amazingly. And now I'm getting they hype to know how is this season going to unfold. If they keep going like this, Vinland Saga can be one of the best animes of 2019.
Oct 6, 2019 1:10 PM

Nov 2014
like the old OP better, but the new one isn't so bad either. I do much prefer the old ED than the new one.

Not sure if Thorfinn is doing it on purpose, but I'm glad that his provoking got Canute to speak for the first time, and to actually argue and talk back to a stranger. That's a major feat for him. I feel like that's the start of their bromance Canute's growth to become a King.

Also, because that pointed head man spoiled Canute so much, with him here it's gonna be hard for Canute for grow up, I have a feeling he's gonna die, whether by accident or a planned murder (by Askeladd or something) and with him gone, Canute will finally have to make him own choices.

Askeladd's origin surprised me. Considering his personality, I can't really tell if he's being serious or not about hating his followers. Anyway, this sure will lead to some interesting development. (im starting to feel like Askeladd is more like the main character lol, but again, there is no main character in history. everyone has their own story to tell. they all contribute equally to history)

Canute: "I'm cautious."
ok we have a cautious hero, and now a cautious prince. what next? a cautious assassin?
ttcchenOct 6, 2019 6:08 PM
Oct 6, 2019 1:17 PM
Oct 2016
Lelouch0202 said:
Great episode as always.

It was interesting to hear about Askeladd's past, his birth and lineage. Does he hate the Danish because of how his mother was treated by his father? I'm interested to see if he can actually make his plan work.

It was cool to see Canute finally stand up for himself.

Go to a library and get a book about the unification of Britain, there are literally hundreds of thousands.

Kek
Oct 6, 2019 1:41 PM

Mar 2012
I already miss the ED "Torches". I like this OP better than Survive Said The Prophet's. I'm a manga reader so I never did mind the pacing and the slow burn that is the progression of this series but this episode's pacing bothered me a lot! I was looking forward to Canute and thorfinn's interaction but the pacing before we got there seemed extra stretched.
Oct 6, 2019 1:50 PM

May 2019
In the beginning scene, I thought Thorfinn was carrying Canute. I thought they escaped the ambush and decided to hide their identities LOL then later I realized it was Askeladd and his mum.

The chapter seemed a little slower compared to previous chapters. However it was a nice episode.

And holy crap the ending song is really good! I loved the first ending song and I loved this as well. But contrary to other people, I liked the first opening more. But this one's also good.
bluninjaOct 6, 2019 1:57 PM
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Oct 6, 2019 2:11 PM

Jul 2016
Okay, I realise this might be a bit of an ask, but do you think it would've been better if the show was properly multi-lingual? Like for when characters are speaking Welsh and English they have the Japanese actor deliver the lines in that language, or hiring a Welsh speaking actor to play Asser in this episode. Danish can still be substituted for Japanese, but I've been finding it a bit jarring when a character will say something like "oh ho, you speak my language do you?" when literally everything is still being spoken in Japanese.

That out of the way though, me likely. I love that cold open of a young Askeladd that you're (probably) gonna assume is Thorfinn at first until they turn it around later on with the twist. The twist itself though... errr... I dunno yet. I'm not sure I like this change in Askeladd because I think it undermines a lot of his already established character, but we'll see where it goes. BTW, the Artorius story they go with as the origin of the King Arthur legend. I went and looked that up to see if it was actually true and, to put it bluntly, no, not really. The origin of the King Arthur story is still highly debated today. There is some potential evidence that King Arthur was a real historical figure in the 5th and 6th centuries who did take part in the Battle of Badon, but one of those texts also claims that he singlehandedly slew 960 men in that battle, so the validity of those texts is... questionable at best.

One minor cool thing though, the clouds. In a lot of smaller shots, that you might not even notice, the clouds in the background are moving slowly. It's little attentions to detail like that I really like. I like the new OP a lot actually, I think the visuals are a lot more interesting than the last one. The ED though, I think is a bit of a downgrade. I still like it, but I don't think anything can replace Torches.
Oct 6, 2019 2:19 PM

Oct 2012
Very good episode thanks to Askeladd. But give me back Mukanjyo and Torches, the new OP and ED are very inferior to previous songs.

Good thing they didn't go with legend but with actual facts about Artorius line descended from old Romans.
Oct 6, 2019 2:32 PM

Mar 2019
The new ending.. omg so fucking nice ,but there's nothing like first <3

Very good episode, listen to canute speak HYPE FeelsGoodMan
KonanaDec 5, 2019 11:09 AM
Oct 6, 2019 2:47 PM
Nov 2015
Probably the "weakest" episode so far if you ask me, which doesn't mean it was bad whatsoever.

The reveal about Askeladd being descendant of Artorius didn't impact me much. As far as I remember, it doesn't have a great effect in the plot as of now. And I find Ragnar's personality slightly annoying, specially when he is protecting Canute. Anyway, Askeladd's conversation with Gratianus left implied that he might kill Ragnar soon so that Canute can grow as a person.

Btw Canute arguing with Thorfinn was the best moment. These two are bound to become great friends in the future, I can tell.
BetoYeriExyOct 6, 2019 2:53 PM
Oct 6, 2019 2:53 PM

Jun 2016
Really good episode as always, great opening with interesting visuals and storyboard, really nice ending song even if it just made of reused cuts with a few compositing tricks, well edited nonetheless.

Askeladd has a lot going, he also seems awfully quiet at the second half of the episode and acting very unlike his usual self, he definitely planning something, also a lot of weird stuff are going on...

Canute is adorable, no homo, having been spoiled a little I can't wait for what is coming, especially with Thorkell.

Also gotta give credit to the BGM, both this episode and last episode had some fantastic BGM that really fit the overall atmosphere of series.

Looking forward to next episode.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
Apr 15, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

792 by skywizard »»
Mar 29, 2:07 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

407 by xyara_girl »»
Mar 23, 12:30 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.