Forum Settings
Forums

Yutaka Yamamoto Launches Crowdfunding for 'Mahou Shoujo-tachi' Anime Project

New
Oct 1, 2019 1:49 PM

Mar 2013

Animation director Yutaka Yamamoto (Fractale, Wake Up, Girls!) launched a new project on Friday that will be crowdfunded through Campfire, tentatively titled Mahou Shoujo-tachi (Magical Girls). The dark fantasy magical girl project aims to raise 10 million yen (approximately US$92,700) in 33 days. The funds will go towards producing a two to five minute pilot film that will be completed in April 2020.

As of press time, the crowdfunding sits at 2,273,300 yen (approximately US$21,096) with 124 backers. Any additional funding will go towards the production of a full-length film.

The anime project's key visual (pictured) features a girl in a school uniform with wings enclosed by dark flames, directly referencing the July 18 Kyoto Animation arson incident. Yamamoto cites the tragedy as his motivation behind the project, saying that he is creating the film to "change anime" and wants to use it to send a message to all of those who are involved with the anime industry. Yamamoto further wrote that he cannot forgive the evil "madness" in anime that caused him the loss of a friend, and so he must defeat it through animation.

Yamamoto's previous successfully-funded project, Hakubo, exceeded its 15 million yen (approximately US$139,275) goal, raising over 21 million yen. The 52-minute film premiered in Fukushima on May 24 before it screened around Japan on June 21.

Crowdfunding page: https://camp-fire.jp/projects/view/196006

Source: Livedoor News

News tip submitted by NothingReally
Sakana-sanOct 2, 2019 12:36 PM
Oct 1, 2019 2:06 PM
May 2018
Well, seems more promising than yet another isekai.
Oct 1, 2019 2:10 PM

Oct 2010
No, please no, Not Yamakan again. Blasts some guy cause "apparently" he wanted to profit from Kyoani tragegy, then Yamakan makes this. What a man!
Blames otaku for making anime bad, then makes a moe highschool girl anime with some fire.
Oct 1, 2019 3:13 PM

Apr 2008
I've said it somewhere else, but he's the worst possible person for this job. He was fired from Kyoani back then and for a very good reason. And now he wants to profit off from a tragedy he himself has nothing to do with, to stroke his own ego. I can't even bring myself to snark here.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this signature is unavailable in your region.
Oct 1, 2019 3:21 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
I love magical girl anime, but... I've heard a couple of things about this guy... don't know whether to be excited or not
I didn't even know until I saw this thread that he said a lot of shit...

Considering his history with the anime industry, I have my doubts
Oct 1, 2019 3:29 PM

Oct 2018
Wow, Yamakan reached a new low. How is that even possible?
Oct 1, 2019 3:35 PM

Jul 2013
I love me some Magical Girl Anime, but this seems a bit odd. Guy has been fired from KyoAni and directly references the fire in order to get sympathy and more money. That seems fudging suspicious to me.
Oct 1, 2019 3:38 PM
Jan 2014
Based Yamakan here to grant us another masterpiece.
Oct 1, 2019 4:08 PM
May 2016
I can't see what the problem is. Artists put rage into their work all the time, this sounds like it could be great to me. I mean, there were earlier anime that were filled with rage from the ending of World War 2, or something like that(it's been a while since I learned about that). this is just an artist's artistic expression, the art is pretty good too. Yes, he was fired from KyoAni, but if he worked there, he probably had some friends and memories, so this is probably VERY personal
Oct 1, 2019 5:40 PM

Aug 2016
"Yamamoto further wrote that he cannot forgive the evil "madness" in anime that caused him the loss of a friend, and so he must defeat it through animation."

Really doesn't sound like he's using the KyoAni tragedy to 'profit' like most people in this thread believe he is.
Oct 1, 2019 8:25 PM

Aug 2010
Someone, stop this guy. He's horrible, the comment he made after the fire was unforgivable.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Oct 1, 2019 8:44 PM

Mar 2015
Catalano said:
No, please no, Not Yamakan again. Blasts some guy cause "apparently" he wanted to profit from Kyoani tragegy, then Yamakan makes this. What a man!
Blames otaku for making anime bad, then makes a moe highschool girl anime with some fire.

it's not some guy, he is blasting makoto shinkai to "shut up" when he prefer to give condolence to the victim instead advertise his new movie withering with you... the arson attack happen just 2 days before his movie launching.. even during launching, makoto keep giving condolence to the kyoani and use his own movie premier to give kyoani moment of silence instead doing celebration...

now yamakan have audacity to ASKING DONATION for HIS OWN PROJECT?

WHAT
THE
ACTUAL
FUCK?

at least do it personally using his own money and time and do short animation if he does actually care about it. not making some big project with begging for donation. who is profiting who now?
KumaOct 1, 2019 8:49 PM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 1, 2019 8:50 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
I don’t know about ulterior motives that he may have but this is a good gesture and I really appreciate it.

Hopefully, the fundraising will prove to be a success this time too!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 1, 2019 10:30 PM

Jan 2011
Well that was a wew lad I wasn't expecting when I entered this thread. I can't deny it's certainly piqued my interest more than it would have otherwise though.
Oct 2, 2019 3:09 AM
Aug 2018
Yamakan is going to keep doing Yamakan.
Oct 2, 2019 6:15 AM

Jul 2016
This is not exploitation. This is art. Yamakan haters can go screw off somewhere. He does not make anime to enrich himself. The man only creates work when he really means to put something meaningful out into the world.

You can acts like a Yamakan fanboy whatever the hell you want, but please don't pretend everything about this guy did was 100% right and did nothing wrong.

Yamakan being retarded is a fact and no one can deny that.
MahiaErebeaNegiOct 2, 2019 6:25 AM
Oct 2, 2019 6:27 AM
Jan 2018
What's this dude's past then I don't know the whole story
Oct 2, 2019 6:42 AM

Mar 2015
NothingReally said:
MahiaErebeaNegi said:
You can acts like a Yamakan fanboy whatever the hell you want, but please don't pretend everything about this guy did was 100% right and did nothing wrong.

Yamakan being retarded is an actual fact and no one can deny that.

I never said he was some angel. I'm just arguing that he has genuine reasons for doing this project in particular by the looks of it.

There are plenty of things I think nobody should be able to deny about Yamakan, but people would like to deny them anyway. I have no sympathies for your personal quota for hatred of the man.

you can always made short tribute by your own effort without ask any donation which give 0 help to kyoani or the victim, but here we are. or you know, he can even try to make some funding to the victim, but instead he WAS the one asking for donation.

how someone even defend him at this point is baffled me.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 2, 2019 6:45 AM

Jul 2016
I never said he was some angel.

Actually you kinda did, the way you praising and defending Yamakan just said itself.

There are plenty of things I think nobody should be able to deny about Yamakan, but people would like to deny them anyway.

The only thing we can't deny about Yamakan was that he did made some good shows in the past. Oh and he did feel sad about KyoAni incident, but so what? Does that means I should treat him as a hero or like everything about him as a person just for those reasons?

I have no sympathies for your personal quota for hatred of the man.

And I have no sympathies for your personal quota for claiming the man as some sort of saint either. Especially when you made this kind of post:
Stop this ignorance. You people are insufferable.
MahiaErebeaNegiOct 2, 2019 7:12 AM
Oct 2, 2019 7:26 AM

Feb 2011
Please, for the love of God do not support Yamakan. This man is so far up his own ass he cannot see reality clearly anymore. He throws shade at other creators and shifts blame onto others for his own failures. At this point he must have came out of retirement more times than Hayao Miyazaki.
Oct 2, 2019 8:46 AM

Sep 2011
Hell no fuck Yamakan, that guy is an actual scumbag and not only that hes an incompetent director, now he wants to profit off the detahs of people he was mocking not a few weeks ago out of spite for them firing his lazy ass?

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 2, 2019 10:20 AM

Nov 2013
10 million yen just for a 2-5 minute movie preview thing? wait what?
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Oct 2, 2019 1:11 PM

Oct 2010
Yamamoto is one of the most despicable personalities in the industry, but I don't think there's anything essentially wrong with this project. There is obviously a personal involvement here and it's fine that there is. Acting like a fucking jerk against Shinkai is not incompatible with that.
Oct 2, 2019 3:06 PM

Sep 2007
NothingReally said:
This is not exploitation. This is art. Yamakan haters can go screw off somewhere. He does not make anime to enrich himself. The man only creates work when he really means to put something meaningful out into the world.

You mean like Wake Up Girls? Amazing piece of art that is.
Oct 2, 2019 6:34 PM

Mar 2015
NothingReally said:
Kuma said:
you can always made short tribute by your own effort without ask any donation which give 0 help to kyoani or the victim, but here we are. or you know, he can even try to make some funding to the victim, but instead he WAS the one asking for donation.

how someone even defend him at this point is baffled me.

You don't think he should fight with anime? He should post some twitter vid of him being like r.i.p. my friends? There's plenty of funding going towards KyoAni right now. His pockets probably aren't overflowing with cash but I'm sure he'd help if he could. Oh wait, he's trying to promote healing through art. I don't understand what you people want. Art is often very essential to our healing processes.

it's more of his OWN healing process... again, it contribute nothing to to victim... also IIRC, he has history badmouthing one of deceased... it would be less deplorable if he didn't ask for donation.. but here we are... he become less then shinkai which he looked down upon...
Oct 2, 2019 11:36 PM

Jul 2011
NothingReally said:

Hate him or not, Yamakan’s personality is still free game for analysis to better understand his work. Having said that, few of us are really in the position to make statements about the man beyond distant speculation, so I don't think it's helpful to state your opinion so definitively.
Oct 3, 2019 10:10 AM

Sep 2014
Oof pretty heated comments here. Are we looking forward to something great?
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Oct 3, 2019 4:04 PM

Mar 2014
Comander-07 said:

It's the memetic "savior of anime". You know, from Fractale...

...will probably be Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou, Mahou Shoujo Site and Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku levels of tryhard discount-Madoka.

Just watch old and gold Princess Tutu instead. Edgy Dark Mahou Shoujos post-Madoka era are usually bad, exceptions for Yuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru.
FGO NA Code: 482.072.599

(F2P thug life of savings...)

Ben-to! best nonsensical action anime. Ever.
Oct 3, 2019 4:14 PM

Oct 2010
The guy is not a dope like so many make him out to be. Just get the fuck over and accept people have different opinions than you. I hope he redeems himself and his anime succeeds. Also, I think Shinkai sold out after 'Promised Place' so there's that.
Oct 3, 2019 7:10 PM

Mar 2008
Not sure it would happen. Just click the animation tag and you can see other projects started around similar time raised way more money.
Oct 5, 2019 10:15 AM

Sep 2014
Fabris said:
Comander-07 said:

It's the memetic "savior of anime". You know, from Fractale...

...will probably be Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou, Mahou Shoujo Site and Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku levels of tryhard discount-Madoka.

Just watch old and gold Princess Tutu instead. Edgy Dark Mahou Shoujos post-Madoka era are usually bad, exceptions for Yuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru.
I actually dont to be honest. Seems like he isnt a good artist then?

PS: I take Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku over Yuki Yuuna 5/7 days of the week.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Dec 5, 2019 10:19 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Well, looks like the crowdfund is finished... only made it 77% of the way.
Will the anime still be made though with that amount? Disregarding the guy's history, the project sounds kinda interesting so I still kinda hope this becomes a thing.

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
9 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
11 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:45 AM

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

30 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.